Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #76  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi ladies,

Late post for me. I started earlier but got distracted.

Michelle - I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend. I understand completely how difficult it is - why do the good ones die young? There is no reasoning other than to accept that whatever they were put here for, they have accomplished and moved on. Honor their memory by trying to be the kind of person that they were, and do a bit of the things that made them so special to you. I like Shad's idea of a personal memorial. I will only repeat what I always do in these cases, give DH an extra big squeeze, tell the people you love how you feel about them because we never know what tomorrow will bring and all too often we drift through the days until something like this hits us like the proverbial brick in the head. Giving you a big hug and a box of Kleenex tissues. The soft kind. Did your new report get approved?

Shad - I hope you pulled the wand out and were able to make headway on the impossible deadline list. Yes, we did consider the film. The lady at the window store suggested a commercial grade and it has to be applied by people who know what they are doing, else you get bubbles (her way of saying not too many people here who know what they are doing with that ) also I had read that the film can take up too much heat and crack the window(s). This is a concern as the 4 windows get full on sun. We did see some solar shades which just filter the glare but let the light in. And since the shade would be way high up on the "2nd" level we would probably have to get them motorized which triples the price. We are thinking about it. My Mom will have a terrible time here in the house with her macular degeneration and since it runs so rampant in the family, I have my concerns too. Are you in the throws of the heat of summer? Have the tomatoes bloomed yet? How's the crop looking? We may consult you on building a rain barrel - an idea we are kicking around. When you come to visit we may take a walk down to the lake to catch dinner and have a pick in the garden for side dishes. Deer will not be served Finally I guess we have learned our lesson on thread titles. From now on... nasty as it can be

Laura - we considered the frosted window film too - white will not absorb the heat that a black tint will, but we realized that we often watch the deer from the loft area through those windows. Maybe we just have to plant a couple of fast growing shade trees in the front yard, however that would require relocating the septic system - probably cheaper to put in shades Did you wind up getting much snow? You've had a pretty mild winter so far. Do you have issues with ice build up in the gutters? I hear you on just missing the train. I would set my watch and car clock 4 or 5 minutes early just to trick myself. Does BF drop you off at the train? Sometimes I swear things would conspire just to be late - like a misplaced glove or an overly long traffic light.

Ceejay - I'm sorry you are having such a hard time getting your nose cleared up. Not sure if you can ever get off the meds with the cotton in the area and all the flowers of the south. I am still having residual issues here and there's nothing growing and it's frozen outside so unfortunately I think we have inherited a life long problem and I haven't found anything much in the way of homeopathic things to try - particulary since they say your system gets used to the antihistamines after a while. Congrats on the great weight loss. Keep up the good work!

Hi Mel hope you are resting and giving everyone around you a hard time I would offer you some recoup time here but winter has hit again and I have neither warmth or sunshine to offer you. But lots of good tea and I make a mean soup

Annie - I can't believe how the baby is growing. Loved the pictures you posted on FB. I hope Curtis is not getting stressed out. Take each day a day at a time.

We are going to a fish fry (we hope) for Friday dinner out. There is some preliminary ski race in town (the snow came in just in time) so we hope the restaurant won't be too crowded. I am a bit concerned as some of these fish fries are like long lines of folding tables at banquet halls - that is NOT DH's style sitting elbow to elbow with strangers. However, we do need to get out and meet some new people The Humane Society needs volunteers to clean the cat kennels. I told DH we should do one day a week. Not so sure he's keen on the idea, if not I may go myself even though I don't have a reliable allergy med right now and the long hair kitties will really bother me. I think the truth is that DH is afraid I will come home with 6 cats as I am such a sucker I can say it should not happen, can't say it won't

I really need to get to sleep - should have gone an hour ago but I did want to get a post in. Sweet dreams everyone. Sweet cat nap for 3 minutes Shad
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #77  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy Friday ladies -

Yay!! It's Friday!! We got about 8" of snow yesterday, and had some drifting overnight. Yesterday afternoon, there was a big wreck on the freeway I normally take to get home, and there were also cars in the ditch. Luckily I knew about the wreck before getting on the freeway, so I took the side streets, which were plowed but a bit slippery in parts. It took a bit longer, but I made it home okay...so did DH. This morning, the side streets were a bit slippery, but the freeways were clear (of course some drivers still managed to get their cars in the ditch this morning too).

I'm going to be in training all day today...and then I have a meeting with a website client after work. Training starts in about 15 minutes, so I don't have time for many personals...sorry. But I do REALLY appreciate all your love and support and good advice about dealing with my friend's passing.

Shad - Do you know if Mel is in the hospital? Or recuperating at home? Or why she is away 'till the end of the month? Good luck getting all your stuff done. I have many days where I'm swamped like that...where everything has to be done TODAY.

Mel - Sending you much love and many hugs.

Gotta go.

Much love and hugs to all,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #78  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning and TGIF FO SHO this week...didn't make it out of the office til almost 5 last night and the traffic was nuts with this snow. Took me 10 minutes to get to the highway this morning as they had not plowed any of the roads. It normally takes me about 2 minutes. ***RANT*** Brainless people STAY HOME when it snows. I do not leave space between me and the car in front of me so you can swerve in.**** My BP has to be up...I got up angry for what reason I do not know....was angry at the stupid drivers...have put out 2 of the 3 fires going on and it is not even 10 am yet. The third fire will take some time...so waiting on a better mood. My head is splitting from all the crap. OK done...

My doc appt was good on Wednesday...BP 123/78...of course that is because I have to take BP meds....healthy eating is going great..exercising is slowing down...Every evening since Tuesday there has been interferring issues to keep me from exercising. Tuesday was getting a new battery in my car then it wouldn't run worth a hoot. Had to go back and get a fuel injector additive to put in gas tank...it is all good now..fingers crossed...Wednesday night was sissy's house...last night was shoveling snow..maybe tonight we can get back at it.

Curtis was in a better mood as Hostess filed Chapter 11 which is Re-org rather that throw in the towel...and being there 23 years, he seems to be pretty safe at the moment...however we all know no one is safe. Smiles EVERYONE!!

MELLIE....I do hope and pray you are getting healthier every day..I miss you sweet sister. Hugs

CHELLE...Hope work has slowed down some...but knowing you, you will fill it up with something else...stinker sister.

SHAD...sounds like you are putting out fires also....may the force be with you..nanu nanu!

LAURA...how is the Pilates class going? I heard Pilates is hard so I have never attempted it...on a scale of 1 easy - 10 hard, what would you say Pilates rates?

CEEJAY...Seems like the older we get the more meds we have to take...to keep getting old....something wrong with that picture...hope the antihistimines help.

HAPPY....aren't you dang glad (happy) that you don't have to get out and go to work in all this mess....now I am jealous...hugs sweet sister..enjoy!!

Everyone stay warm/cool....and safe...get healthy...

Love and hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #79  

Morning all. TGIF and payday, whoo! The week went quickly for me - keeping busy at work.

Michelle - Glad you got home safely. People just need to slow down and keep a longer stopping distance when it's like this - why do they think their cars can perform as good in the snow as they can on dry pavement?? Hope your training is helpful.

Happy - Enjoy the fish fry tonight. Re your windows - if there's a nice view, I definitely wouldn't want to block it, so I guess the motorized shades will be more desirable. Gosh, it would be nice to volunteer, but you might need to take a paying job for a while to buy those pricey blinds, lol. Re the train - sometimes I will ask bf to drop me off at the train if I'm running late or the weather is crummy, but usually I like to walk so I get some exercise and fresh air. He has made a habit of picking me up from the train at night in the colder weather, but even then, I'd prefer it if he limited it to just the very cold or rainy weather.

Shad - Hope you got everything that needed doing done. Hate that wait around then rush-rush! Thanks for the update on Mel, but I'm concerned when you said she said she would be out for the rest of the month - is she in the hospital? I worry so much about people spending time in the hospital with all the dangerous bugs to which already weakened people are vulnerable.

Ceejay - I wish you didn't suffer from that sinus stuff. What can be done to boost one's immunity? The one thing I know for sure that lowers my immunity is when I don't get enough sleep, so I usually don't mess with that.

Hi Annie!! And Mel, if you're checking in or Jen is doing so for you - sending hugs and healthy vibes!
===
Nothing much to report. Another morning where I barely made the train. Sigh. I have to make my departure time a minute earlier and actually leaving on time would help too! But I did it 4 days in a row this week, so I just need to keep at it and soon I will have a new routine established.

I'm hoping that the forecast still includes some above-freezing temps on Sun & Mon so that the snow melts. I generally don't mind snow, but when a lot of folks don't bother to shovel, it makes the walk to/from the train a real PITA. I will actually be glad for bf to pick me up tonight because I won't have to slog through unshoveled snow. This morning I walked in the plowed street at least half the way, but I would never do that at night.

Not much planned for the weekend, thankfully. I need to do laundry, return a pair of boots, borrow the next book club book (The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold), and I dunno what else.

I definitely need to restock my tea supply - I've been drinking the stuff the employer provides at the office and it's swill. It's the Flavia beverage system (I think it might be called something else now) and the meager tea choices available to us are Lemon Calm (fine, but it's herbal), Green/Green w/ Jasmine (gag to both, I HATE green tea) and what I usually drink, English Breakfast (pretty awful). Maybe I need to check out the other choices that are available and see if I can get our office services folks to try another flavor. The coffee folks have at least twice the choices we do...

Okay, enough rambling, time to hit it.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #80  

Annie you're the sneaker-inner! Hope your day gets better - yeh, the bad drivers should just stay home and shovel their sidewalks, LOL. BTW, shoveling is good exercise, so I say you should definitely count it!

Hmmm, I think the type of exercise people find difficult is generally subjective. For instance, I hate huffing and puffing through heavy cardio workouts, and if I could get away with not doing it, I would. But Pilates doesn't seem so tough to me when I can leave class not having broken a sweat and feeling serene. But you do have to focus on the movements very closely to get the benefit. I think if you're doing it right, it can be very challenging. The other night towards the end of class, we did a plank and the instructor said, "five minutes left of class, let's see if we can make it" - she was joking, of course - thank gawd because at the moment I could not probably go more than 30 seconds! (Note to self: need to do planks while watching tv and build up my time.) I give Pilates a 6 or 7. Borrow a dvd from the library and try it out. The focus is your entire core, including the back, so it's not just like doing non-stop crunches.

Sorry you needed a new battery - or did it turn out to not be necessary after all?? If not what a waste to have bought one, unless of course you had an old battery that would have needed replacing soon anyway. There's always something with cars. We're coming up on the 90,000 mile service on ours and I have no idea how much that'll cost, before even considering whatever repairs they might tell us we need on top of the usual maintenance work. Brace!!

Stay warm and have a good weekend!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #81  
Choose your hard

Good morning everyone,

We got about 3 and a half inches of snow. It did start off yesterday as a misty rain so the snow was crunchy instead of the usual powder. I helped DH - I think he had more fun on the ATV with the plow than I did with the shovel but as Laura said, I'm counting that as exercise along with the usual 10 to 12 flights of stairs I climb on a routine basis each day.

Annie, cutting into the safe space I leave to drive in bad weather is ONE OF MY BIGGEST PET PEEVES !!!! Especially when according to the law if you hit someone in the back it is generally your fault. DH said not to get upset, when someone is cutting in like that if you do hit them it's generally on an angle as they cut in and would not be your fault. But again, who wants to get into an accident on purpose. And yes, one of the best things about not having to go to work is not caring what the weather is going to do other than plans to make sure I have enough groceries to tide me over. I'm sorry your day is going so crappy - maybe you have to get the bad stuff out of the way so you can have a good weekend with your family Just don't grit your teeth - bad for your smile Good going on keeping up with the healthy eating plan - especially since you love to cook up a storm. (You'd be the one I'd want to be stuck with if we were snowed in )

Laura - I agree with your comment about exercise. Outside of Zumba, can't think of what would be "fun" exercise, although I do like swimming. That's great that you are doing the Pilates - that and yoga are so good for the body. And walking to and from the train - even downtown. I used to walk too until I started carring alot of papers and my laptop and purse. What a load! I would walk down AH Rd and curse out the people in the big fancy houses that could not be bothered to shovel even a small path for walking. And it was a killer to climb over the snow plow mounds at AH and Central. Was worse when we first moved and I had to walk from the race track all the way to Central. At least in the winter when your boots would leak and your feet would freeze. Glad those days are over! I love Jasmine tea. You are probably better off with getting your own stock when you can catch a good sale. They seem to cater more to the coffee drinkers than the tea folks.

Wow - 8 inches of snow Michelle? You sure got dumped on! You must be at the right place for the lake effect snow. Glad you got a heads up on the traffic so you could make alternate plans. Hope the day at work is not too frantic and you can get some you time in this weekend.

Love to Mel Rest up woman, we miss you lots!!!!!

Ceejay - I see you are getting some of the cold we are all sharing. At least it's better for the nose!

Shad - hope by now you are in bed sleeping and not working late to finish all your doco. Sleep well!

I have a house to clean and a fish fry to go to tonight. Looking forward to that! Happy weekend ladies.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #82  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Annie - For me, Pilates is very difficult and frustrating (around a 9 for difficulty for me)...because I don't have strong enough core muscles for many of the moves. I prefer huffing and puffing cardio and strength training.

Laura - If I want to feel serene, I prefer yoga or Tai Chi to Pilates. I guess because I don't feel like such a loser if I can't do the moves perfectly in yoga or Tai Chi, I do feel like a loser in Pilates. The training was very worthwhile...both for my current position and it turns out, I can use most of the concepts if I get the promotional position I just applied for.

Last edited by diyana; 01-13-2012 at 02:33 PM.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy
We got some snow flurries yesterday on the way to Jonesboro and that wind was very cold plus it was in the 20's. Have fun on your outing.

Annie
I hate when drivers abuse their rights especially on the snow. You would have to mention getting older as that's what the doctor mentioned. I've always had sinus problems and I agree with Happy that living in my rural farm area makes matter's worse. But I'm dealing with it.

Michelle
I agree that this work week has flown by. Even my 2 days has gone by fast.
I hate meetings. I picked up my pay check this morning. We got paid yesterday at 4 p.m. but wasn't here to pick it up.

Laura
As far as building my immune system, I'm doing what is best for me. I'm taking a multivitamin, plus my b12, plus an extra vitamin d3 and Echinacea. And trying to get enough sleep. When I had my vitamin d checked it was low.

Shad

-------
Nothing new here. I need to run a few errands. On to the Post Office to mail my sis and bil their Christmas gifts. They were not home during Christmas. And honestly forgot about it until today.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #84  

Morning all.

Dressed and ready for the circuit class at 9. Need to leave a bit earlier to purchase my fitness passport. Sorted the laundry and have a load going. Turns out one of my bras has gone missing...the one I wore NYE. Huh.

Bf and I went to Big Bowl for dinner last night, using some gift cards. Since we were in the vicinity, I also returned a pair of boots to Lands End. Too hard to put on and take off. At least I don't have that errand to do anymore.

That's about it for me. Off to class, then to pick up an rx afterwards, then to the bank, then home, then a shower, and then who knows. More laundry I suppose.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Getting ready to head over to Paragould to eat lunch with the uncles. It's been awhile.

Good news is that I got back in to my size 16 pants this morning. Think that the B12 is helping my metabolism + the exercise.

Laura
To funny about the bra that's gone missing on NYE
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #86  
Annie - Indiana

Happy SATURDAY ladies!!!

I am having a slow day....thought I might put in a few hours at CVS...but was NOT motivated to do it...so I stayed home....must be the weather...and I do not care!!

CEEJAY...hope the lunch with the Uncles went well. I know it is a mixed bag when you go over to Paragould. Hugs and FUN sweet sista!! Congrats on the size 16 pants...looking awesome!!

LAURA...good for you on the exercising..proud of you momma! How was dinner??

HAPPY...if you are running up and down all those stairs...you bum and legs should be really getting into shape and looking good....YEAH!! Good for you on the shoveling...but man is it hard on the body....wears me out. Sleep comes quick.

CHELLE...hope you are feeling good and enjoying your weekend...I love ya sista.

SHAD..what chu have goin' on?

MELLIE...still praying for you and wishing you good health...love you my sweet sista.

Making homemade cauliflower cheese soup for dinner and may make fried (baked) chicken thighs for Curtis....he loves thighs..I do not care for them...will probably over eat on the soup. lol

Went by Sissy's and delivered some food...then rocked the babe to sleep..I so wish you all could see and hold him...he is so dang sweet. Had to cut the visit short as I had to get to the bank before they closed at noon. Then got some errands done and ready to stay in for the day/night.

Curtis and I are taking dad out to lunch tomorrow. He loves Red Lobster..I could take or leave it...but that is where we are taking him. Not much else planned after that..just visiting.

Better get this posted and onto laundry....oh boy..how fun!!

Loves and hugs.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #87  
Annie - Indiana

P.S. LAURA...how the heck did you lose a bra...leave it at your secret lover's house????? lololol
Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #88  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Afternoon all,

Better get on here before I forget it all again today. It's been raining today so I have tried to get on with the inside stuff. Lunches are done for next week. Sweeping in the kitchen and dining is done. Now I need to get a bit of ironing done and pack my bags for Yarrabee tomorrow. Still working out what to take. It is only a three day trip so don't actually need too much.

Gave up on the gym this morning. So much from yesterday still hurts and I just decided not to go. I've enough here to do to keep me on my feet for the rest of the day anyway.

Annie - soup sounds good. Hope you get some excitement in the weekend. The darn things go so fast and are so infrequent. Work weeks seem to drag but not weekends.

Ceejay - good for you getting into those size pants. Keep on keeping on. Whatever you are doing is working - unlike me at the moment

Michelle - that's why I like Body Balance because it is a mixture of Tai Chi, yoga and pilates. Not too much of any one thing.
Good luck with the job application

Happy - worked late, got the doco done. I am sure I will get told if it is not right. Glad to hear that the freezer finally got there.

I do not know if Mel is in hospital. Last e-mail I got said she was home. But she was ordered to bed rest and wouldn't be back till the end of the month. I haven't heard from Jen at all lately. She may also still be sick.

Okay - better get off here and get sorted. May not be back for a couple of days although I will try to. See you all later.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #89  
Annie - Indiana

Happy Sunday...Make it a great one!!! Save travels Shadlet! Feel better Mellie..hugs.

Taking dad to lunch today...if it warms up a bit.

Nothing much else..HB is wanting a cookie and driving me nuts..better go and get her one.

Loves and hugs.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #90  
Choose your hard

Howdy ladies

Nothing going on at the moment. I'll let you know if something exciting happens...