Worldlies in January - Looking Back & Forward

You're on Page 5 of 13
Go to
  • Okay...I'm working on the report from h*ll. Have been for about 3 weeks. Got the sorting worked out...but when I try to display only the top 5...it either shows every row (as if there were no Top 5 filter) or no rows at all. I know it has something to do with the filters in the other cells. Driving me crazy.

We finally have a microwave that works! Our built in one went kaput a few weeks ago, and with DH being so sick, he was too weak to bring the one that we had at our old house up from the basement and it was too heavy for me. So we had to "rough it" for a long time. Anyway, DH brought up the microwave Sunday night and it works great despite being idle for so many years.

Annie - I'm keeping your co-worker's hubby in my prayers. I hope he has a common blood type so they have an ample supply. I'm O Neg, universal donor, so I donate as often as possible and try and keep my iron levels up so they don't turn me down. I'm glad you and Curtis had a nice, relaxing weekend away, and for getting with your exercise program. I've got a bunch going on the next few days (friend's funeral, spending time with DMIL before she goes home on Tuesday or Wednesday, etc.), but I am going to get back with exercising. I went through all my exercise DVDs and I have a few "beginner" ones to rotate with my Wii Fit.

Mel - Sweetie, I hope you're getting better. I'm worried sick about you. Sending you lots of love, hugs, and . Even my 3 doggies are sending you get well wishes...and they truly are the best nurses. Don't worry, Schnauzers are fairly hypo-allergenic since they don't shed...so they shouldn't make you sneeze or get stuffed up.

Big waves to Shad, Ceejay, Happy and Laura!!

Gotta prep for a meeting in 45 min.

Love and hugs to all,
  • Morning all. Meeting in 10.

Ceejay - Has the noisy pump issue been resolved yet?? Aaargh, I keep forgetting about the pedometer!! Thanks for the reminder.

Shad - Full day for you.

Annie - Good job with the healthy eating and the exercise!! Nice to have a partner in your efforts I bet. Bf is not exercising at all except for the weekday dog walks. So much for the new gym membership - I think he's gone once, maybe twice since he joined in the fall. He's a bit better with being considerate with food. If it weren't for my weight and bp issues, he'd never give a thought to regularly having veggies as part of a meal. Sigh.

Michelle - I hope you get the report working before it gets the better of you and your sanity. Nice you had the spare microwave to turn to, and that it still works! They aren't great for much actual cooking, but oh how we rely on them!

Mel - Hang in there!!!

Hi Happy!
    ---
    Meeting soon, and nothing much to report anyway. Tonight's movie is We bought A Zoo.
  • Laura
    The part for the noisy pump is being replaced. It's taking them a long time. So this may go on tomorrow also.

Annie
    Glad you had a relaxing week end.

Michelle
    Hope you get the kinks worked out of the reports.

Nothing to report in my little corner of the world.
  • Hey Gals...

Not much going on ...made pan seared steak and mashed garlic potatos for dinner...not to bad..I only ate a small portion. Then made homemade chicken pockets to take to sissy's tomorrow night for dinner. Will bake tomorrow night. Greenbeans to go with, maybe something else..depends on my mood after work tomorrow's work day.

Curtis found out today his company filed bankruptcy. He doesn't know what all it means to his position but has decided to ride it out. I told him that only good will come from it and he will come out smelling like a rose. He went to bed tonight at 7:30, he was exhausted from the stress of the work day and the stress of all the jibber about the bankruptsy....God love him. His eyes were even blood shot and had a headache...I think part of that was from not drinking soda and had to do with caffeine...and stress.

Anyway, I am having major ME time...like when I lived by myself...kind of miss that in one way and don't in the other...mixed feelings. lol And Tuesday night TV S.U.C.K.S.!!! Have it on for the noise.

Laura...Curtis and I went to see We Bought a Zoo last week...it was good...I really liked it. Hope you enjoyed it too!

Chelle...walk away from the report and have an iced tea..go back to it and wham it will come to you...the little bitty cell that was messed up. I hate that. It always ends up being such a minor detail that can P*ss you off so much..dang it anyway...wish DMIL could come live with you full time, you all have such a great time.

Ceejay...nothing going on in your corner of the world is good...peace is always good.

MELLIE...I am worried about you sister...praying for your health...dang it...

Well, better finish up my chores so I can go to bed. Not really tired, but know I have to get some sleep so I can fight the BS tomorrow.

Much Love and bunches of hugs....
  • Afternoon all,

Michelle - reports hah! No if it is an Excel type report with pivot tables, is there any set criteria in any of the other cells? That used to drive me to drink when I was doing Excel reporting. Nothing would show, or everything would show. Sounds remarkably like your problem.

Annie - the new food regime sounds good. I hope that Curtis doesn't have an employment problem. It's really an unhappy time for workers over there at the moment despite your Pres. Obama telling us that unemployment has dropped and the private sector is creating all these jobs. Might just drop into Sissy's for dinner tonight. Is sounding interesting.

Laura - let us know how you enjoyed the Zoo movie. It is one of the few that looks like it might be worth my getting out and going to the movies.

Happy - yep been a bit warm you might say, and there is more where that comes from as well we are told. Need to get out and water the garden tonight if I get home early enough. It seems that everyone wants me to do doco for them that they have been too lazy to get around to. Plus the fact that I have a couple of manuals to do, I might have to work longer hours this week. It's a hard life. Hope you sort out all the trails etc. Bummer on the hunter trying his luck on your wildlife sanctuary. Better put up notices.

Haven't heard back from Mel apart from the fact that she is at home. I think she was copying everyone in on that.
    Yesterdays exercise was very hard going. I went for the normal route and it was around 5.30pm. The first run part of it is uphill and I swear I was leaving a wet trail behind me as I slogged up hill. The second part is downhill and that wasn't so bad but I reckon that anyone who heard my breathing probably thought I was gasping my last. By the time it got to the 3rd and 4th legs, I was totally saturated. I just wish that all that effort would lead to quicker weight loss.

The new steel for DS2's castle arrives today or tomorrow so he will be able to get a bit more finished over the weekend. He did want it so that he could put up a couple of sheets per night during the week, but it hasn't worked out that way. Maybe next week the castle will be completely covered and waiting for the roof ridges and flashings and finally the roller door. Then we can put all the photos together and watch it being built again.

Meantime, I had better go and do that which I am paid to do. I've been emphasising to the BigT that since he is farming me out to all areas of the project now I really want a fabulous reference out of this job. Only gold plated and diamond covered will do.
  • Morning all.

Annie - Poor Curtis re his employer's bankruptcy. But it doesn't mean the business won't go on, so tell him I said to hang in there. I enjoyed "We Bought a Zoo" more than I thought I would. I suppose I thought it might be all cutesy, but it was definitely much more than the zoo bits - good relationship stuff in there too. Hmmm, chicken pockets - anything that has a pastry/crust on it always sounds good to me, LOL. Hope it turned out yummy, and enjoy your time at sissy's tonight.

Shad - Good you let your expectations be known re the references! I can certainly imagine all the sweating if you're exercising out in that heat - and all the water being guzzled to replace fluids. As I mentioned to Annie, I enjoyed the Zoo movie, and it's probably worth your time.

Hellos to the rest of my Worldy pals.
    --
    Nothing to report at the moment. Got the early train again this morning, but doesn't feel like I got a jump like I did the past couple times. Of course posting here isn't exactly getting the job done, lol. But when I think about it, this is right about the time I'd be arriving, so I guess I'm still ahead a bit.

Tonight's the Pilates class.

Cheers!
  • I heard on the news that Hostess is going bankrupt. Ugh. Don't take away my Twinkies. May need to stock up on those.
    Yeah, No more loud pump noise. It does have some vibration but I can deal with that.

Annie
    The chicken pockets do sound good. Also read on FB that lil Monkey is up to 9 pounds. He's really growing.

Laura,
    With your's and Annie's review I may have to go see We Bought A Zoo.

Shad
    Thanks for the updates on Mel. Glad she is back home. I'm not sure how you are surviving the exercise outside with all that heat and humidity.
  • Howdy folks,

We had a couple of days of nice weather but it's about to get cold and snowy again. Not as bad as Michelle and Laura might get out of this latest storm - I think we'll get more cold and snow. We did go out for a walk on the property the other day. Lots of brush to cut back so it wasn't as fun as it will be when we make some walking paths. It was a nice sunny day so afterwards we sat on the patio for a while - no wind and warm sun so it was actually quite nice out. It's also terribly bright in our kitchen from the chalet windows. The are trapeziod shaped near the peak of the house so we stopped at a window treatment store to find out what our options are - all expensive of course. We don't want to block the windows but need to do something for the few hours the sun shines. I did some cooking too but have hit a slump in that department. The last few meals I've made are not quite as good as I would like them to be. And we have to finish up the food because we can't afford to be wasting stuff. Not sure what the issue is. Maybe I just still with the old tried and true instead of experimenting.

I saw the news about the Hostess bankruptcy too. Saw that it's mostly the pensions that are killing them. I can understand that with people living longer. However companies are pushing out their older workers and that is causing people to claim earlier. Also they say that today's smaller workforce is also creating a problem for pensioners. I don't understand that, especially since alot of the workforce is outsourced in bigger companies. I think if you have worked for a company for 20 years or more (as you mostly had to do in order to get a pension), that company owes you something back. Within reason of course. It's annoying to see big bonuses paid out to management and the little people who made the company profitable get stiffed. It's also annoying to see that our congress members are entitled to a full pension after serving only one term - totally opposite of the private sector where cash in hand was related to a combination of your salary and length of service. Ok, off soapbox.

Annie - I hope Curtis will be ok. Sometimes bankruptcy gives them a chance to restructure. Never sure of how long you'll have a job today no matter who you work for. Glad to hear the baby is growing strong and catching up to where he should be. Had a rough start but he's a fighter ! I heard that We Bought A Zoo was good - that's one I'd also consider actually going to the movies to see. I hear you on wanting some me time occasionally. Send Curtis out for a night with the boys

Laura - I always found it hard to get back in gear coming back to work in January. It's cold, there's nothing to look forward to and you get off your rhythm over the holiday break. Also the trains and traffic are back to being crowded again I think guys are either gung ho gym rats or avoid it. My DH was never one for the gym - I'd try to drag him in and he finally admitted that he didn't like it and it was a waste of money for him.

Michelle - I hope you finally got your report working. That can be so frustrating to figure out and once you do, it's just a teeny thing that you totally missed. Glad you got a working microwave again too. I think I'd miss that more than my stove. Well not really, but you need both

Shad - can't imagine slogging up a hill when it's so hot and humid out. Did you go after work when the heat of the day set in? Sounds like the castle is quite the project - will there be a tower at top and window so you can gaze out at the world?

Mel - how are you today? Good thoughts to you

Ceejay - maybe you could do a bit of powerwalking on your trips around the plant to get in a little cardio?

I'd better get off the computer and go get some things done before the day is totally shot. Later chicks...
  • Hi ladies -

Well, after many hours yesterday and with the help of a report expert, we finally got the report to display accurate data in the way that the end users want to see it. Problem is...it runs for 3 hours and then times out. So now I've asked another team to try running the same report using a different tool to see if it delivers the output files faster. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I have to present this report for preliminary approval this afternoon.

Tomorrow, we're supposed to get hit with approx. 9" of snow. Normally, I would just be able to work from home; however, I have a mandatory transition meeting with my new manager, followed by a mandatory ethics training class that everyone in the entire company must attend annually.

And Friday, I have all-day training for our new reporting software...so no working from home for me this week.

After work today, DH and I are going to our friend's funeral. So very sad. My heart breaks for her husband. He's completely devastated, of course.

No time for personals today...I'm still struggling to get the report to successfully complete before my afternoon meeting.

Hopefully I'll have more time to post tomorrow.

Love and hugs,
  • Well, in case you have not figured it out...Curtis works for Hostess....just Great!
  • Annie
    Wondered if Curtis work for Hostess. Things will work out for the best for him.
    It's sad that all these huge corporates are having to file bankruptcy.

Happy
    It sounds like you had a nice day yesterday. Would love to go on a walk in the woods at my uncles but it is to wet and cold.

Michelle
    Glad that you all got the reports to run. That has to be frustrating.

------
    Woke up this morning but not in time to see the snow flurries. The wind is blowing very hard and it's cold. I like those mild day's.
    Good news is that I've lost weight this week, 7 pounds. I'm thinking it's mostly fluid pounds. I feel a lot lighter, less bloated and ankles are not swollen. This new fluid med is time released and works a lot better.
    I'm dreading on going to the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor today. I feel it's a waist of my time. The antihistamine's and decongestant seems to be working that my doctor gave me. Going to ask if the APN will write me a rx for this to use after this runs out.
  • Just wanted to let you all know that I'm here. I'm still having some difficulty dealing with my friend's passing. It's just not fair. She and her husband were such a great couple. She was so beautiful, strong and fun loving. He is such a fantastic guy. He shouldn't have to go through this.

Anyway, I'm trying to stay focused on the piles of work I have, and wishing I didn't have mandatory meetings all afternoon, and mandatory training all day tomorrow. I guess the positive aspect is that I'll be so busy that my mind will be kept occupied.

I really have to get to exercising and eating healthy. DH said seeing what his friend is going through makes him very concerned for my healthy.

Just a few quick personals:

Mel - I'm worried about you sista. I hope you feel better soon.

Annie - So sorry to hear about Curtis' company. I read that his company doesn't plan layoffs at this time. I'll keep him, you, and your whole family in my prayers. Love ya, sis.

Ceejay - Congrats on the weight loss. You lost weight and I found it. I hope you're able to get an rx for the meds that actually help you.

Happy - Looks like the storm won't be the barn buster that was originally predicted. 3" - 7" total (I hope), and the plows should be able to keep up with that. It's just started snowing now. We have windows in our house that let in blinding light...mostly the patio doors to the family room, making it difficult for me to work in there on my work from home days. Luckily the blinding only lasts an hour or so, so I can handle that. As for recipes...I've checked out some Cooking Light Cookbooks from the library. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.

Laura - Bravo on all the exercising!

Shad - Your hike sounds like quite a workout. I'm so hoping that my back is well enough for hiking by springtime. Good for you for telling BigT that you expect a fabulous reference. I look forward to seeing photos of the castle.

Well, gotta go. *sigh* I'm so grateful that I have you all in my life.

Much love and many hugs,
  • Morning all.

Ceejay - Oh, I wouldn't worry about the demise of the Twinkie - even with all the info we have on healthy foods and not healthy foods (guess which category Twinkies fall into), people still want this stuff. I rarely eat that stuff (I have a whole host of other junk food I like), but I have fond memories of hot dog and hamburger days at school. We alternated months with hot dogs and hamburgers, but the side was always chips, and the dessert was always Suzy Q's! Good to hear the new fluid pill is working better for you! Wow, 7 pounds is a lot!

Happy - Living in a ranch house, the only real window covering dilemna was for a skylight we installed. We have a blind for it, and a looong pole/hook to adjust it. The only time we really need the blind to be closed is in the heat of the summer; in the winter I always wish the skylight was completely uncovered, but we can't have it both ways, darn it. Good luck to you. Would a window film that looks like frosted glass be any help? I imagine it would eliminate strong glare. One of our master bedroom windows looks right onto our neighbor's driveway and we covered that one in that type of film and it's perfect - allows light & privacy, and there was no view to lose anyway.

Michelle - So hard to deal with the loss of someone way too soon! Too bad you can't work from home today and tomorrow. Safe travels my friend!

Hellos to everyone! Mel - hope you're feeling better now!
    ---
    Nothing much to report. Good Pilates class last night. Wish I'd also taken the Monday night class as well. Oh well, next session I think I will!

It's been a struggle making the early train, and I swear it seems to arrive early and, more importantly, leave about a minute early, which only makes matters worse. Haven't missed it this week, but I've had to hustle my butt to make it.

It's snowing...we'll see how much we have to deal with on the evening commute. The boss will likely leave a bit early, and the admin hopes management tells us to leave early. The boss said go ahead and leave early if you need to, but she advised taking home our laptops, just in case. I take the train so I don't think it's a huge deal for me...and it's not all that much snow anyway...

Nothing planned tonight, so that's good. Why be out driving in the "storm"? I don't remember the media/weather folks calling them storms back then. It's not like it's a blizzard. Knock wood.
  • Morning all,
    It will be a long and busy day today as I have at least five things to finish before the weekend and they have to be on the intranet by COB Monday. Oh goodie. Weeks of no work and it is all to be done TODAY. So I have brought the car into Morningside and caught the ferry into town. By the time I get through today, it will probably be past peak hour traffic.

Haven't heard back from Mel but she did say that she would be out for the rest of the month. Maybe we didn't make the title nasty enough.

Annie - sorry to hear about the problems with Curtis job. Life, it seems, was never meant to be easy. Still the other parts of your life seem to be going okay. It's not all bad.

Michelle - Sorry to hear of the friends passing and my sympathies go to her husband/ partner. It's difficult when someone either the same age or younger passes because apart from missing them we are reminded of our own mortality. Maybe it would help if you could organise a private memorial of your own dedicated to your friend in a place where you used to enjoy meeting and/ or doing things and invite the husband to participate. Spend some time remembering the fun bits. It makes no difference to her now, she is at peace and no longer in pain or despair. This is for you and she would not want you to be troubled or feel guilty over her death.

Laura - Sometimes our trains seem to be early too - it is generally when I am running late. But on the whole, their timekeeping is not too bad. I just think they are slow as all heck and wish that someone would make a timetable that works for the inner suburbs, the outer suburbs and those that live more than an hour out in any direction. Surely there could be more express trains for those of us who live 45 minutes out.

Happy - Have you thought of putting the anti glare, sun film in. It works like tinting in a car and just cuts off the worst of the glare. You wouldn't want to take away the view up there.
    Seems to be taking time to get to grips to your new stove. Always a problem that. I'm sure that by the time I get over there you will have sorted it all out and gourmet meals will be the order of the day.

Ceejay - if you feel better without the medication, then don't take it. I don't think it does anygood longterm for things like antibiotics and antihistamines and anti anything really.

Better get on with my day. I'm not getting stuff done being on here.
  • It's shivering cold outside.

Been to the E N T's office. The A P N is going to let me try the histamine for awhile to see if this strength is sufficient. She told me to come back when needed. Yeah. I wish that I could come off these things but I'm not sure if it's possible. I think my immune system is very low. I'm working on building that back.

We had snow flurries on the way to Jonesboro today.

Michelle,
    Shad has some very good advice.

Laura
    It's a good night to stay in and drink something hot. To be honest I haven't had a Twinkie in a very long time. It's just the thought of really not having it again.