Old 01-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #46  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning chicks,

Aren't you jealous of me? Going to an Elvis impersonator show this afternoon. My cousin is taking her son who is a huge Elvis and Michael Jackson fan and I thought I'd tag along because no one should have to suffer through that alone It's bright and sunny out - funny how all of you are raving about the warm temps - it's in the low 40's here and great, 50's to the chicks in the middle of the country and 60's down in the south. We all think it's marvelous. Me, I'm afraid that means we are going to get pounded something fierce and spring will be late to come. I guess it's unseasonably warm up this way although we still have snow cover here and the ground is just starting to peek out from under the trees. Either the deer are getting more comfy or they are getting more hungry. 6 appeared in the yard after DH put some corn out yesterday. And I don't think I will ever not be amazed driving down the road and seeing a bald eagle sitting in a barren tree and surveying the landscape. Yesterday we took a ride north into Duluth Minnesota to check out the town and look at some TVs - DH is looking to replace the old built in one that came with the house and is not working properly. It's a nice city sitting on frozen Lake Superior. A big transportation port I suppose - lots of cargo ships in one area. So we have shopping at our disposal - Duluth 90 minutes north, Rice Lake 60 minutes south, Eau Claire 2 hours south and if we were desperate Minneapolis 3 hours west. However Minneapolis is the frozen tundra of winter weather so we'd only go there in the summer It's also good that we don't have either room in the house or money for alot more so shopping is not so tempting any more. But it's a nice day trip once in a while. I find that as we settle in (8 weeks today) I am more content just to stay home. My gardening books I ordered are starting to come into the library - 2 more to pick up today - actually one is Diane Keaton's autobiography so I'll have lots to read this coming week.

Laura - I am familiar with the White Castle building - they built that after I left downtown - can't exactly recall but I think it's an insurance building? Have a good visit with the family and enjoy the fresh air and springlike weather.

Ceejay - I hope you get your sinuses resolved. It's much better up this way but I still have a drip once in a while. My sister said the nose spray helps alot but your body gets used to it and after a while you have to take it all the time. Don't know what's worse

Shad - don't envy you those mosquitoes. I'll bet they are big and nasty. Nice picture of the rose - I take it that it's not naturally gray - something about the way the picture came out? But it's a lovely effect anyway. Are you in the throws of the summer heat now?

Mel - hope you are resting up and feeling a bit better today.

Annie - I hope you enjoy your outing with Curtis' kids and that they behave themselves! I liked being over busy at work too - as long as you can keep up with the pace. Makes things go by faster. Hope the surgery works out for the poor guy.

Michelle - thanks for the tip on the gardening books - I will check her out. I'm loving the consortium of 30 libraries we have in our area and grateful that ours is the town that has the library in it. As I said, I don't think the foam mattress topper does much, if any good at all. The downside of the foam beds (besides the price) is that they tend to be warm. I go to bed at night cold but warm up quickly with my lightweight down cover and an extra light blanket on my feet. By morning my feet are sticking out from the covers and I pretty much am just covered on my waist. DH had to give up the down blanket as he said he was too warm also. But I notice such a difference when I sleep on one of the other beds that I think it's worth it. And I also don't like that it seems to take months before the foam smell gets out of the mattresses. I hope things go well for you with the job hunt. Sometimes it's good that you work at a big place - more opportunities - but also sometimes it's also equally hard to move. I'm sure you will do well as you have skills my friend.

I need to get dressed, would be nice to go pick up my library stuff before my cousin gets here since the library is not open on Sunday. Have a great weekend chicks.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #47  
Choose your hard

Oh and last night I rented the movie "The Help" and DH and I watched it. I thought it was quite good although it was a bit far fetched - 1960's Mississippi and racism was much harsher than the book portrayed. Would have been more believable if they set it in Memphis or South Carolina. But still a good movie that I'd recommend.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #48  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Hi all,
Had an e-mail from Jen this morning saying that Mel is very sick and if she doesn't improve will have to go to hospital on Monday. Jen is not allowed to go and see her because if she gets the bug then it may turn to pneumonia and Jen is underweight and fragile. So Jen is communicating via phone and leaving things outside the door in a cart. Apparently there are no drugs she can take for this apart from an iv antibiotics.

I guess Jen will keep us informed. She has no internet at her place and has to get permission to use the office computer to email me.

It has been infernally hot today with very high humidity. I am about to close up the house and turn on the air con since I am tired of sweating. Actually it is nicer out that in, but if I went out there to do anything I would bet that the bugs get me in an instance. They don't seem to take much notice of the bug repellent these days.
No the rose should have been a brilliant orange. No idea what I did to the camera settings to get that. Have another one as well where the flowers should have been red, red, red and they ended up gray but the foliage was fine. Go figure

Annie - hope you enjoy your weekend away. Have fun

Michelle - hope the dogs blood work is okay now.

Laura - I know what you mean about having got into the proper gear. You feel like you have to go then. I went off to the gym this morning. I must have work really hard because I can feel it in the arms and shoulders already. Lord knows what it will be like tomorrow.

Ceejay - all that medicine. Don't jump up and down, you will rattle.

I've made us lunches for the next few days today. It really wasn't the time for cooking although it wasn't too bad this morning. It was too muggy to work outside so it was best that I did that.
DS2 should be home soon. He has been out to the Mogerah Dam for the weekend. Hope he doesn't want dinner. There isn't any tonight.

Time to go and find some clothes for work tomorrow. Damn it. Back to work again.
Happy - I hope you enjoyed Elvis' impersonator. It's his birthday today - not the impersonator.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #49  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

I AM FEELING LIKE CRAP AND MY LUNGS SOUND LIKE A KIDS "POPCORN MAKING" PULL TOY.
THE DR TOLD ME TO GO TO THE ER TODAY AND NOT WAIT. MUCHO PAIN LAST NIGHT.
HE ALSO THINKS I AM NOT COMING HOME TODAY AND TOLD ME TO PACK A BAG LIKE I WOULD LEAVE WITHOUT ONE!!!!
AND HE SAID HE COULD BE WRONG BUT GO ANYWAY.

WANTED YOU TO KNOW WHERE I AM CAUSE JEN IS SICK WITH AN INTESTINAL VIRUS.....NOT LIKE MINE WAS.....AND HEAVILY CONGESTED SINUSES.

WILL LET YOU KNOW IF THEY KEEP ME OR NOT. LATER GATORS.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Mel
You and Jen feel better soon. Think a lot of this stuff is going around.

Happy
I may get the dvd of the movie Help. I've seen the reviews and looks okay. How did you like the "Elvis" concert. My uncle used to say that the deer told the other deer about their finds. They'll eat you out of house and home if not careful. But they are beautiful to wtch.

Shad
Hope your summer isn't an indicator of what ours will be. Try to stay as cool as possible.

--------
My wellness goal is to build my good cholesterol level, and the good doctor said exercise was the best way to do this.
My girls day out yesterday was fun but exhausting. We shopped till we dropped. I didn't buy a lot. Bought a cd yesterday and brought it to work to listen to it today but some one, probably the boss, has taken the speakers. Also bought a pair of boots, to wear to work when the weather get's bad.
Had a phone call yesterday also from my little sis, Mary Ann. She has taken a different job in Branson, MO and is thinking about moving there. She's wanting a small condo. I told her that I wanted to come up in March.

------
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #51  
Choose your hard

Good Sunday morning ladies,

Almost Sunday afternoon at that - been busy this morning reading finance articles and trying to make a meal plan and shopping list for the week.

The Elvis impersonator was REALLY cheesy but we had alot of fun anyway. I got yelled at by the lady sitting in front of us for making too many comments. She was right to say something but could have been nicer about it. The show was 2 hours long which was way longer than we thought it would be. Half the show was singing gospel songs which were not my favorite. The other quarter was patriotic songs which I guess he thought would appeal to the audience. He only sang about 3 Elvis songs which were all ballads. Didn't sing any of the rocking songs like Viva Las Vegas, Jailhouse Rock or Blue Suede shoes so that was disappointing. But it cost me a can of beans for the food bank to see it so we got our money's worth. All 3 of us had a good time - my cousin's wife is very funny with her dry sense of humor - she pops out these zingers that you don't expect. At one point the impersonator went to change into his really baggy fake Elvis jumpsuit and the 2 guys who accompanied him on guitar and drums did a 3 number set of country music - they were much better than the impersonator. But the crowd loved him so I guess me and J were the odd ones out He had on a really awful wig and baggy clothes but the crowd ate him up like the real deal.

Got home last night and DH picked up my library books. Got Diane Keaton's tribute to her Mom - "Then Again". I read for about an hour, it's a different kind of book - many people panned it because they thought it would be more about her. I'd say it's an ok book so far, I wouldn't rush out to buy it. We have a consortium of 30 libraries in our system and while we might have to wait to get a book, I was surprised that I got this one in a week as it is still new - whichever library has it available sends it out so if there are 10 holds on the copy at your library and another has it available, they will send it out which I think is nice. I am glad to have a library again, for the ritzy town I lived in down south, they had a crummy library compared to what I left in Chicago.

Mel - I am so sorry to hear that you are ailing. (thank you Shad for the update). You have been having a pretty good year so far in keeping the bad germs at bay. I will be sending lots of good thoughts for you so that you don't have to have a hospital stay. I hope Jen gets some rest and gets better too. This is always a tough time of year - the cold should freeze things out but with less fresh air I think the cold bugs are more abundant. Relax and get your rest and come back to us soon.

Shad - I can just imagine how steamy hot it is by you. Bad with the humidity too as that gives off a sheen that the mossies just love to hone in on. Should be good for the garden tomatoes and not much else. Has DS finished the castle yet or is it like construction projects here and temporarily on hold?

Ceejay - I never got there but hear that Branson was a nice place. Hope things work out for your sister. This is not the one who got the nursing job, is it? DH has issues with low cholesterol too - I think they told him to eat more protein but I'm not sure. No matter what, I'm sure someone has advice on what to do

While surfing the internet the other night I looked up long term effects of Nexium - what I take to reduce stomach acid. I asked my doctor about taking this a long time, she said there are no issues with it except for occasional benign stomach polyps which are harmless. Imagine my surprise when I saw all over the place about NOT TO TAKE THIS LONG TERM. I've been taking it about 2 years now. Among other things you don't absorb B12, can cause a cough and other assorted things. I liked my doctor when I first saw her 6 years ago but the last 2 years she is not what I expected. I am looking forward to a new doctor here. In the meantime I am trying to cut back on the Nexium (can't quit it cold turkey without having a rash of long term stomach issues). Always something, huh?

I'd better get my shopping list finished. Now that I mentioned to DH that we have to go grocery shopping, he is ready to go so he can get some of his plans done for the day which is only fair. Have a good Sunday chicks. Special good stuff for you Mel
Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #52  

Happy
Yes, this is the sis that lives near Springfield, MO. and the one who has graduated from APN school this spring.
The doctor told me to get the b12 strips that dissolves under your tongue. Goes straight to your blood stream. If you read most medications/vitamin etc each will have side effects. I always say use with care.
My body has quit making b12 which the doctor told me was heriditary.
---------
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #53  

Quick one, just on my way to bed. This heat is getting impossible. 40 degrees just down the road from home today. 36 at my place. thats 110 and 102 respectively more or less. There will be many grumpy people around if this keeps up for long. 1 year ago we were under water and drowning, now we are being boiled alive. Such fun

Just off to bed for another restless night. Think I might just shut up the house and turn the air con on. Sleep is important.

Back tomorrow with more grizzles.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #54  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

Shad your weather is reminding me of last summer - the 3rd hottest on record and the one that drove us out of the south. There's no way to stay cool except go into the office - pretty sad, eh? Then again you have to work to pay the heating bill. Hope you can find a way to stay comfortable - note I did not say cool.

Ceejay - thanks for the tip on the B12 strips, I will have to look into that.

Other chicks must be sleeping in this Monday. I hope you are resting comfortably Mel.

DH wants to find the property markers so he can start planning out the trails he wants to put through the area. Last week a hunter was roaming our property (not supposed to do that) uncomfortably close to our house. We watched a garden video last night which gave very good information on setting up a garden. So lots to do. He is getting antsy about me coming out to help him so I'd better get moving.

Talk later
Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #55  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies -

Sorry I didn't check in over the weekend. I didn't sleep well Friday night, so Saturday I couldn't attempt to put a couple coherent thoughts together and post. Sunday, I took DMIL and her sister out to brunch. DH was really sick all weekend, so he stayed home and rested. We had a lovely brunch, and then I took DMIL back to her sister's house, so she could stay with her for a few days. Unfortunately, DMIL is leaving on 1/18...but she's looking forward to coming back in the spring. She says her home is with us, as this is the only place where she feels comfortable, secure and wanted. If it wasn't for her medical issues and her insurance through the State of CA, I think she would've moved in with us long ago.

Anyway, when I got home from brunch, DH told me that our dear friend (wife of his best friend since junior high school) passed away at age 43. She was diagnosed when she was only 38 years old. She had recovered but the cancer came back 2 years later. The nearly constant chemo that was necessary to just keep the cancer under control became just too much and her liver failed. When DH talked to her husband yesterday and knowing how devastated he is surely makes our problems seem so very trivial. Talking to him today and knowing how devastated he is makes anything any problems I seem trivial. It breaks my heart that she's gone. She was such a lovely, caring woman. She did not have any children, but my heart breaks for her husband and both their families. The services are Wednesday afternoon/evening.

Mel - I sure hope you're not in the hospital. I'm so worried about you, sista. Having lungs that sound like the popcorn toy is NOT good. If IV antibiotics will help, then do what's best for you. Please take good care of yourself. Sending you and Jen lots of healing and wishes. Love you.

Ceejay - DH went back to the doc last week. He doesn't have pneumonia, just an upper respiratory infection. He is doing a little better. It's just going to take time. What do you get the decadron injections for? It's good you can B12 supplements rather than have injections, and so good that he lowered your Thyroid med. Good for you on having low HDL. My HDL is a little high, and my LDL is a bit low (probably lower now that I haven't been exercising much for the past couple months).

Annie - Hope you had a nice dinner at OG with Curtis and his daughters. How was the weekend getaway? Any news on your co-worker's hubby?

Laura - I got a great laugh at your well-rounded plan versus well-rounded Laura (or in my case Michelle). I'll have to remember that when I'm trying to resist treats. I'm loving the warm weather too. Unfortunately, DH had to tell me that we get a few more days of really nice weather, followed by cooler temps, followed by freakin' cold temps. I hope your visit with bf's brother and his family was nice.

Shad - Goodonya' for getting back to the gym, and congrats for not gaining over the holidays!! I loved the HA HA building and the pictures of the gardens! Thanks for the update about Mel and Jen. So sad that Mel may need IV antibiotics. No fun. Try and stay cool, my sista.

Happy - I do believe we are still going to get winter...after DMIL leaves...and you're right, spring may be late in arriving...but it can't be much later than mid-May, right? I'm sure the deer are getting more hungry and appreciate the corn your DH puts out. I love seeing bald eagles. We don't see too many of them here; we either have to head west to the Wisconsin River/Dells or north. Is Lake Superior frozen all the way across? Lake Michigan is not. DH has to drive to Rice Lake for work a couple times a year. He says it's a very pretty drive. I really love the library consortiums! It's great that even though we live "in the country", we can get books from so many libraries around the state. Thanks for the input about the foam mattresses. I talked to DH about it, and he said that our next mattress will probably be foam, but it will be awhile as we can't afford one now. An Elvis impersonator that only sang 3 Elvis songs?? WT_??? I'm glad you had a good time regardless and that you got your money's worth. Enjoy your quest for the property markers and planning out the trails.

Better get back to work. I have to finish a report and then send it for approvals.

Love and hugs,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #56  

Morning all - or it was when I started this!

Mel - I sure hope you aren't in the hospital, but if that's what you need to clear those lungs, so be it! Just keep away from all the other germs hanging out there! Take care my friend, and get well soon wishes to Jen too!

Happy - I wouldn't have been happy either not hearing the more upbeat Elvis tunes, but it was a free show and it had some entertainment value for you, so that's that. I have a memory foam pillow and it does get warm, as does my latex/foam rubber one. There's always something. As for the odor - the foam is a petroleum product, so that's part of the lingering scent, and I've read that it should be contained in a cover to keep your air quality cleaner.

Shad - Wow, that's hot!! At least at work you've got AC and it's not on your dime. Hope the first day back at work wasn't too awful.

Michelle - Get well wishes to your dh - that's too long to be so sick. Too bad DMIL can't stay at your place year-round... So very sad to hear about your friend's wife dying. How devastating to the husband and other family.

Annie - How was the overnight getaway??

Hi Ceejay!
---
The visit w/ the BIL/Niece/grandnephew on Saturday was nice, just casual and not too many people either. The little nephew was a delight to be around, especially vs. his behavior last summer. I think he's 3 years old now and that's a fun age.

Exercise this weekend was the circuit class on Sat. morning. I upped the weight at several of the stations by 5 pounds, so it was more challenging than usual. Also had a long dog walk Saturday by the creek. Shorter dog walk Sunday because I had a chill even before I left the house and it wasn't nearly as nice weather as Saturday.

Did some grocery shopping Sunday and that was about it for Sunday. No, I take it back - I took down the Christmas tree, and that was the last of the holiday "un-decorating". Bf had taken down the outdoor decorations on Wed., and I put away all the indoor decorations on Saturday (other than the tree). We have all that stuff in a lot of plastic storage bins, and I had them all labeled nicely from years ago, but now a lot of the lablels are starting to fall off, and the contents don't always match the label anymore, so next year it might be time to re-organize that stuff. Might be a good time NOW to buy a few more holiday colored storage bins if they are on sale/clearance.

Okay, better get back to it - so much to do it's not funny.

Last edited by Laura705; 01-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #57  

Afternoon

Michelle
The decadron injection is for the sinsus infections. I've had enough of those for awhile.Glad that Dh doesn't have pneumonia. That's nice that you felt like taking DMIL and her sister out for brunch.

Laura
I 've been wearing my pedometer and getting a good amount of functional exercise but i still need to some cardio. You are doing well in the exercise department.

Shad
Whew on those tmperatures. I'd definately would turn on the a.c.

----
The bosses came this morning and started on the transfer pump. Think I hear them back down stairs. It's been very quiet with this other pump running.
I woke up with a headache this morning and it still hasn't gone away. My sinuses/cold are a lot better today. I am getting my sense of smell back.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #58  

Uh, where did this afternoon and tonight go. Oh yeah, work, home, exercise, sleep in front of the tv.

I'll be back tomorrow. Night all.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #59  

Shad
Your day sounds like mine.

-----
Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #60  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning Everyone...

Yes, at work...anyway.......

The weekend was marvelous...we really didn't do a whole lot. Went out to dinner, then layed around the hotel room watch the tube and drinking champaigne. Didn't sleep real well then woke up around 4 am with bathroom issues...sheesh....we went onto Curtis's 1 yr nephew's bd party at a pizza joint, similar to Chunky Cheeses but on a smaller scale, not crowded and more quaint...did play some skee ball and enjoyed that. We got home around 7 on Sunday night. Did some laundry and went to bed.

Went yesterday after work to pick up Hella B from sissy's house (she dogsat for us). HB didn't even care that I was there and actually ignored me and went on about her business...Lil Monkey was just waking up from a nap and was oh so cuddly....I hated to put him down as he was so sweet. Got us worldlies a bunch of sweet kisses from his cheeks and neck...

Curtis and I finally got started on our healthy eating and light exercise program. We both ate extremely healthy and then did some step arobics and floor exercises. Curtis is in charge of the exercises, and too cute. Most of the exercises remind me of what he did in the Army...but what the hey, it is getting my bunz moving. Today, I had 2 oz leftover grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast and greek yogurt for brekkie. 280 calories. I am trying to stick to about 1250-1300 cals a day. I have to figure out what to fix for dinner tonight. Curtis came up with last night's dinner....we made a huge garden salad (tomato, carrot, cucumber, lettuce, green onion) with a T of cheese. Then grilled teriyaki chicken breast on the outside grill, oh and I sauteed some fresh mushrooms in a tiny bit of olive oil. Orange for dessert. Had a glass of apple juice before bed.

NO ALCOHOL for me and NO SODA for Curtis. That is our two biggest NO-NO's. Also MORE WATER.

Really it is all logical healthy eating that we all already know..applying is the key...lol

Ceejay..hope you are feeling better from the doc visit. I do B12 shots once a month.

Shad...I still say you need to publish a picture book of your travels..you are sitting on a gold mine of pictures.

Happy...we rented the Help last week. We liked it but I agree with your comments about it all.

MELLIE...holy cow woman...stay away from that office, sick people and bitter cold, rainy, snowy days..you are way too fragile for all of that. I certainly hope you are getting better and not hospital bound...Hugs sweet sister...feel better.

Chelle...so sorry to hear of your friend's death at such a young age...it seems sadder when they are younger. Beth, my co-worker's hubby is doing just ok. He lost a LOT of blood and has been given 10 pints so far. His BP has been running 70/50, way too low. All of the has to improve before the 2nd surgery can occur. It all sounds horrible.

Laura...lil kiddos are so cute and sweet...but then....they grow up and be teenagers...YUCK...lol..

Better get this posted before I get in too much trouble.

Much love and many hugs...
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote