Old 12-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #16  

Good morning, ladies! A sunny day and 48 degrees.

Glory and I had a wonderful day. I threw the rest of the pumpkin pie away. I refuse to "wear" it. I don't like pie crust so it wasn't hard to do. Norah, that does the teas we go to, send me a lovely pink and white silk stole with a note that she appreciates our support. That was certainly unexpected.

Maggie, that was very nice of you to take them to lunch. It certainly makes me feel good when I do something for other people.

Jean, we have people who don't give, too, but we feel they will contribute in other ways (volunteering) or can't afford to give.

Faye, I hope you and Jack recover quickly!

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #17  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday

GOOD LATE MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I am being lazy this day. However, after awhile I am going to tackle the refrigerator and clean that sucker out. Too much of this and that in it. Will said he is going to cut back on his portions this coming year and that will surely help him lose weight. I'll do what I can to help him but stick my nose into his program. I'll not bug him. I will serve him his portion size and if he chooses to go back for mor e than he is free to do so. I am resolved to stick to my program and be a steady loser this coming year. I have been so much of a yo-yo this year my record is sad. However on the bright side of things I did lose more than I started this year with. I have printed out weigh day charts for both of us to keep our weekly weight posted on. I can put this years weigh cards to rest now. Onward with fresh new resolve. I have a plan and am going to stick to it. Watch me shrink. I am so glad the holidays are now over and I can get a grip. I am so thankful that I didn't make any fudge this year. If I could lose a pound a week I would be at goal in a couple years. Now wouldn't that just be peachy. I am going to shoot for that and it is my goal and I am sticking to it. Help me, help me please, my friends. I do so want to do this. i don't think my goal is unreasonable. What think you?

JEAN It is a good day just to sit back and vegitate. All the hoopla is overwith now and we can get back to some sense of normalicy. The snow is melting around here and some big trucks from a building company parked along the curb in front of our house and in the process cleared out a lot of the snow that was there in the gutter. I would have gone out and said "thank you" but I am still in my moo-moo and don't wear it outside. However, winter is not about to be over soon for it has just begun.

SUSAN What a beautiful sounding shawl. Isn't it uplifting to get such an unexpected gift. Good for you dumping that pie for you certainly didn't need it around to be calling your name. I love pumpkin pie but have not eaten a piece with the crust in a long time. Last time I was served a piece I just ate the pumpkin part, scraping it off the crust. When I make it I make pumpkin custard. I mix the pumpkin up using splenda and then bake it in serving size glass baking dishes. It is so good that way and doesn't blow my program. If I am going to have guests I serve it with a cut out piece of dough placed on top. I make small leaves that look good sitting on the custard and gives just a taste of crust and makes it look festive. Another thing I like doing with it is to grate some nutmeg, off a whole nut so it is freshly grated, over the top of each custard before placing the leaves on them. I have had folks ask me for the recipe. Life is good. And if I had served it to you with that crust leaf on top you could just easily take the leaf off since you don't care for crust.

DONNA FAYE ~ both of you. I miss you around here.

I am off to clean out the fridge. It is time to take everything out and re-arange it better to be able to locate things. I have some left overs of this and that with a need to be dumped I am sure. There is only thing on my calendar for the week and that is the dogs get a bath tomorrow. Wednesday our down stairs guest is coming back.

Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #18  

Susan -- I would throw away the pumpkin and eat the pie crust. The talent of pie crust making skipped my generation so that is one thing I never have around the house unless Bob buys one and that crust just isn't the same as "Mom's or Grandma's." I'm glad you and Glory had a nice day together. What a nice surprise to get an unexpected gift from Norah! The stole sounds lovely. Unfortunately the majority of our nongivers show up to use the church for a wedding (which now is $750 for nongivers/nonmembers) or a funeral (no charge). The charge includes the wedding coordinator, custodian, organist, and minister fees so they do get an itemized bill. There are also the ones who show up at Christmas and Easter only.

Maggie -- It sounds like you and Will have a good plan for the new year! Ernie and I took a nap this afternoon so I really did have a "do nothing" day. Tomorrow I have to mop the kitchen floor and work on the laundry piles. We still have no snow in sight and the weatherman took the rain out of the forecast. We could use some rain.

"Gma" -- I hope you and Jack are on the mend!

I'm heading to bed!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #19  

Good morning, ladies! Heading for temps in the 50s today.

I did laundry yesterday and I've put stew in the crockpot for supper today. What an exciting life!

Maggie, your goal is certainly doeable and you already know how to do it. Keep a positive attitude, I WILL... not I'll try or I hope. I'm going to lose the last 10 pounds to get to my doc's goal for me this year. I'll have to change my WW goal downward but that's alright with me. Did you get the Power Foods cookbook?

Jean, a lot of the churchs around here won't let you have a wedding if you aren't a registered member. Do you have any goals for next year?

Faye, I hope you are well soon - we miss you!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #20  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and will set a minute later tomorrow. Yea! Spring is on the way! It's a chilly morning with a slight wind blowing. I've been to get my nails done and ran a couple errands. I stopped and picked up the gift shop money on the way home, so that is my afternoon project.

Susan -- Yum! Stew sounds good today! The Methodists will let anyone use any rooms in the church for "whatever." We have both Girl Scout and Boy Scout groups, a Divorce Recovery group, AA, all kinds of receptions, and various educational groups will meet from time to time. Most everyone gives a donation of some sort. My goal next year is a thinner me! I really do need to work on exercise and that is my least favorite thing to do.

I need to make my errand list so I don't forget anything. Enjoy your day!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #21  

Good afternoon gals. This will be short as I a in the throws of one heck of a cold. Of course, Jack is over his but I am into the second full day and miserable as I have a bad head cold with a horrible headache, stuffiness, scratchy throat etc and just feel rotten.

Jack went back to work today in the driving rain this morning, but we finally have sun and he should be home in a couple hours.

Please say a prayer for Kelly and her family. Little Marty had to have mouth surgery today and he has a very bad heart and they are not sure he will wake up from the surgery. He has some bad teeth that they have been trying to put off taking out simply because his heart is so bad to put him to sleep and do the work but it was a have too as he can't even eat now I guess. Just keep them in your prayers as he is like one of the family, including mine.

I will talk to you tomorrow more indepth. I am going to get into the recliner until jack gets home. Have a nice afternoon. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 12-27-2011 at 02:40 PM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #22  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is said that it will be betwen the low of 22 and high of 38 this day here in the Heartland. That is OK with me for I have plenty to keep me busy here inside. First thing I need to do is to plan this days dinner and get whatever it takes out of the freezer. Lunch was half of a burger.

The dogs are back from the groomer and smell so good for this one day. Cecil sure missed them while they were away. Meowed and wouldn't leave me alone. He would meow and jump down and go look down the hallway and turn and look back at me. Little scudder is so smart it is scarey.

Our dvd player was acting up and was begging for a cleaning. "They say" you should run a cleaner disk through them after every ten movies and it has been more than ten I am sure. We certainly didn't want to buy a new one for this one is barely a year old. We are just going to have to clean it more often than we have been. Which reminds me I should run the cleaner on this computer.

I changed my wallpaper on my desk top this morning and have a lovely mountain picuture with a snowey mountain in the background. There is a small tree trimmed lake and it is so beautiful there. I would like to be sitting on that bank right now. My curser is fish bones. It is so much easier now days to get a pretty picture as a desk top. I remember when I had my first computer I had to do some searching for things that weren't redily available way back then. But I searched and found things I didn't know existed.

DONNA FAYE I am so sorry that the cold has hit you so hard and you feel so miserable. This too shall pass but the getting through it is rough for sure. Oh that poor Marty. I feel so sorry for those so close to him. It is so hard when a pooch is sick or getting so old. Here is a for all of you folks. Drink lots of liquids so you don't get dehydrated.

JEAN Yes, spring is getting closer. Wonder what we will have to go through before it gets here. I think we may be in for some "weather." Does that gift shop do more business now than it was doing for awhile? I remember sometimes you would get none to one person come in. Must be time for heater to kick in for it is chilly in here.

SUSAN Yep I have that book since the 12th of this month and have found there are lots and lots of yummy sounding recipes in it. The first recipe I have flagged to try is on page 81. Grilled Jerk-Seasoned Pork Chops. I already have a cast iron ridged grill pan that is called for to cook them in. I will substitute parsley for the cilantro because we prefer it. If cilantro isn't real fresh it has a strange taste to us so I just stick to substituting parsley. There are lots of recipes I am looking forward to make in that book. Have you tried any recipes in it yet?

If I have the veggies on hand to make that recipe I mentioned above I think that will be our dinner. I'll have to take a look see. I probably have all but the fresh parsley but I can substitute dried for that. Life is good. And that recipe is only 4 points+.

Have a wonderful afternoon Magnolias. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-27-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #23  

"Gma" -- I was glad to see you today, but so sorry you are feeling so crappy. I hope you feel better soon! My prayers are on their way for Marty; I know he is a special member of your family.

Maggie -- It isn't warming up much here, like one degree since this morning. The wind keeps it cold. I just got back from making my deposit for the gift shop. The reason it's busier right now is because of the Christmas items. Things that didn't sell this fall were put on a sale cart a couple weeks ago so that has helped too. Today began a 40% off Christmas items so it should be a good week. With Christmas on the weekend we had a full week before although they were closed yesterday. Overall the sales are down since the gift shop was combined and moved in with the coffee shop. We just don't have the room we did before. The idiot administrator who made that decision is now gone. He was playing hanky panky on company time, with anpther employee, and got caught according to the rumor mill. I've noticed on the cooking channel, the cooks keep their parsley, etc., in a jar of water. I am one of the few who likes parsley; Bob will usually give me his as he says he doesn't eat weeds!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #24  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly but it's a cool 26 degrees outside. I've been to the hospital for an auxiliary scholarship reception. They give three $500 scholarships each year. Now I need to work on the clutter that has accumulated around here. Bob was up and gone by 4 AM; I stayed in bed! I had programmed the coffee pot and could smell it brewing after he turned the closet light on. I knew if I got up I'd never get back to sleep and it was after 1 when I finally did go to bed. I slept until 7 which is really late for me.

It was too quiet here yesterday! Hope all is "ok" with everyone today.

I need to change clothes and get busy! Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #25  

Good morning to you gals. I am to the point now where I am coughing hard, which causes a huge headache, but it brings the stuff up so I will get better so it is a change off I guess. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night from coughing, but I am ok and hopefully will be fit as a fiddle by the weekend.

Jack is all over his cold, but he hurt his back again and is gimping around some. He only has a couple weeks and he gets his bonus day so he won't take a sick day off, but it isn't as bad as it has been and it is mostly going from a sitting to standing position that causes the most problems for him he said.

Our little Marty came through his tooth surgery fine and is resting at home. Kelly said last night they had trouble getting his pills down him and couldn't get him to settle down and sleep. She said he was woozy and if he had settled down and slept he would have felt better so I hope he finally settled down last night. His sweater fit him perfectly and looks so cute on him.

My house really needs the downstairs cleaned, but it is going to have to stay the way it is until the weekend or I have more energy. I am keeping it straightened up, but I see it needs dusting pretty badly, and mopping and such but it just isn't in me at the moment. Jack feels so bad about giving me his cold, but I told him you live with someone else and you are going to get their cold. I told him just his sleeping at night snoring he was putting out germs and he couldn't control that so not to worry about it.

Jean: You wonder why it is so difficult to behave yourself in this day and age? We seem to have some kind of vile sexual business everyday in our paper or on our local tv stations. It is the state of the world now where no one feels accountable to God and it is a do your own thing sort of world. Sad. One of the family owned pasta restaurants we eat at puts fresh chopped parsley on their pasta dishes. I like it ok and Jack eats it, but I don't just eat a piece of parsley off a plate. They say that parsley is good for bad breath.

Maggie: I am sure Cecil wondered where his siblings went while they were at the groomers. It is time for Fortune to go again, but I canceled his appt because I am not leaving this house until this cold is over and done with.

Well I guess I should get out of here. I am trying to do a load of laundry and pick stuff up and straighten up a bit, but I end up exhausted with very little effort at the moment. Have a lovely middle of the week. It is finally sunny here. Faye
Old 12-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #26  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Chilly Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently a cool 33 degrees here in the Heartland and the temps are said to be between 38 and 12 this sunny day. Not much happening around here. I am going to cook a 10 bean soup with a ham bone with lots of ham in it this day. Yep that sure sounds good on a cool day such as this. I will make a loaf of french bread to break off pieces of to eat with it along with some fruit for dinner this day. Now that is settled I can move on to another happenings which are just the normal every day house straightening up and that sort of thing that we all have to do each day. Making the place presentable. I have all my "thank you" cards made and mailed off so that is off my list. I have always made lists even in my younger days.

I have a wonderful mother that got me started doing that at a young age. Organized, that lady is organized and I am so glad she instilled that in me. She says she is only growing old on the outside for her inside is still younger. I hope when I am 93 I can be like her as she is now. I love talking to her on the phone for we laugh a lot. She is definitely not an old grouch. She is a wealth of information and knows how all the family is doing ~ even folks who aren't family but think they are. I remember elderly aunt and uncle so and so and always thought they were relatives but come to find out just good friends of the family. They visited with us a lot. There were more folks also just like them that way. We had a big family and they made it even bigger and nicer and more fun. Good freinds are so nice to have. We never had a family get-together that I can remember that didn't have folks there that weren't family. Adopted family ~ I guess you would call them. Their kids were our cousins. The more the merrier. What fun our family did have at the get-to-gathers. It wasn't just at Christmas-time either. It didn't have to be a holiday to have a get-to-gether for sure.

I loved the trips up at the cabin in the high Sierras up 6000 feet in the tall trees. It is huge with 4 big bedrooms. One of the rooms for the smaller folks has two sets of 3 stack bunk beds. There are couches in the living room that open out for beds also ~ so we have had 25 folks sleeping there comfortably at a time. That place has single wall construction but also a huge wood burning stove in it for heat and cooking. There is also a gas burning stove in there. The place was origionally built by some of my uncles for a "hunting shack." But shack it isn't for their wives went up with them and helped plan the place. If they were going to be there while the men hunted they wanted it presentable for them and places for all to sleep. Eventually as years passed my folks ended up buying it from his older siblings and it came to be in our side of the family. Even before my folks owned it we had access to it. Now it is my brother in law and his kids that use it most since we are too many states over to just go for a few days. It doesn't matter who in the family owns the place anyone in the family is welcome to use it and take their guests up for a fun time in the snow or in the better weather months. Good Jeep country. I remember one time when I didn't take my Jeep up there but drove my little sports car and then it snowed unexpetedly ~ lots of snow ~ deep snow. I told my father to please call work and tell them I was stuck on the mountain. He said, "No, we are going to pull you out." The bigger rigs left out first and they they did pull me out, plowing snow all the way out of the drive. The county had cleared the road down the mountain earlier. They always keep the plows up there somewhere. I always drove a Jeep up there for future trips.

DONNA FAYE Good for you to stay put till your cold abates. Your little guy can get to the groomer in good time. Thanks for the update on Marty. I am so glad he is home now and didn't expire. I bet in his little doggy way he is thankful for that sweater.

JEAN That is absolutely too early to get up. 4 am is sleepie time. What was he doing to have to get up that early? Does he go hunting? Umm coffee ~ mine is empty. Drank it up already. Glad you were able to get some more sleep after he left so you may not get so groggy in the later part of the day.

Magnolias have a wonderful day. Time for me to go get some lunch rounded up and maybe get the beans started. Type at y'all later.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #27  

"Gma" -- Coughing can wear you out, no doubt about that. I hope Jack can tolerate his sore back without having to go to the doctor. I'm so glad Marty came through his surgery and is on the mend. Your house cleaning will wait until you feel more up to doing it. I let laundry go over the weekend so that's what I did today. Lots of trips up and down stairs is good exercise, right?

Maggie -- It was so nice here this afternoon; it almost felt like spring outside. The sun is setting, or sat, a minute earlier again today. Bob doesn't hunt since Viet Nam, and then only hunted pheasants. He and his farmer friend drove to IL to pick up his new "old" restored tractor. He left at 4 and got home about 7:30 tonight -- a very long ride for sure. He invited me to go along but wanted help driving and I've never pulled a 5th wheel trailer before. Actually, I've only pulled the empty boat trailer, so I wasn't in the least bit interested. I knew there would be no shopping stops along the way.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #28  

Good morning, ladies! A cold 36 degrees this morning. I'm afraid winter has found us.

I start back to work at my regular job on Tuesday and with Jackson Hewitt on Wednesday. Tax season is here! I got my hair trimmed yesterday. I'm letting it grow out to a bob. Miss Clairol and I have a date for today. I do wish my hair would turn white. My printer ran out of ink yesterday so I had to venture to Walmart for a refill. It wasn't too bad at all but I didn't see any bargains except for Christmas decorations.

Faye, I hope Jack's back doesn't give him a lot of grieve and that you are feeling better today. I'm glad Marty came through his surgery in good shape. Housework will wait for you.

Jean, are you admiring Bob's new old tractor? I'd not like to pull a 5th wheel trailer either.

Maggie, its too bad you can't get together with your family more often. Will you be able to when you move to Texas?

I'm going to try to do some machine applique today. Haven't tried the sewing machine yet so it may be an adventure.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 12-29-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #29  

Good morning to you ladies. Just a quick note as I am still battling this cold and coughing so much my ribs muscles hurt now so all I feel like doing is sitting very still!

As I said in my email, run your virus scan as Kelly called and said my email sent out a mass email that had a virus attached. I don't know what is going on with that as I have a malware and a good virus program and neither is showing a virus and them both do a daily scan during the night, but there is a virus in the email so be sure do dump the "do you recognize me?" email.

Hope everyone is ready for the new year to begin with new goals and new things to attain. My one big goal is to get in more exercise someway even with the muscle cramping. I know I need it and have to have it so will start with chair stuff and work my up I guess.

I am going to get in the recliner and rest. Have a good Thursday ladies! Faye
Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #30  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is going to be warmer this week than last. The temps today are ranging between 48 and 31 degrees. We have one day, Saturday, that we are actually said to get to 55. Maybe the snow will melt before we get another batch.

Paul brought a picture of his little girl and she is cute as a button. She was all dressed up in a darling dress with a big flower on the side of her head to match. He said his wife has many outfits for her. I can see it now ~ that child will be a fashion plate. What fun to dress a little girl. His wife works at Dillards and she can get the clothing at her discount.

The pot of beans turned out so yummy last evening. Left overs are on the docket for this evenings meal. I don't have to do any meal planning when we have such good lefr-overs. Time to restock up on fruits and veggies though. I do have some in the freezer but want some fresh. I am going to bake a box of Krustaez muffins today though. They are 2 points+ and so good with a boiled egg & some fruit for breakfast. They make a good FF cornbread mix also which I think I will bake up a box to eat with the beans tonight. I sprits my piece with butter like spray and it tastes great. As you see I am in the baking mood this day. I can mix both batches up and bake them at the same time using my 12 muffin pan. Or use my 6 muffin pan for the cran-orange muffins and an 8" square pan for the corn bread and bake them at the same time. Life is full of choices isn't it.

DONNA FAYE Hopefully you can get back to exact and shake that ole cold soon. There are several good exercises you can do while sitting that will benefit you. I sit for some of mine that I do. Watch your posture while you are doing them so they benefit you the most. My AVG virus protection did let me know that mailing you sent had a virus so I dumped it. I am surprised your protection didn't catch it.

JEAN Fifth wheels really aren't that hard to pull. Easier, in fact, than straight pull. And that's the truth. I hope Bob is happy with his new toy. What, no stopping for shopping ~ he's no fun. A lady just has to shop.

SUSAN The pork chop recipe I made out of that cookbook was really delicious. A definite do again. Will gave it a 4 and a half stars out of 5. Next I would really like to try the recipe on page 74, Greek Beef & Mushroom Pizza. It looks so yummy in the picture and uses whole wheat pizza crust. AH, so you have to go back to work soon. Take it nice and easy to re-aquait yourself to those hours. It will certainly be closer to my relatives when we move to Texas and we will be able to make more trips to visit them I do believe. Since Will will be retired we will have the time to do so also. I would love to be able to spend some more time at that cabin. I could just live there. Now there's a thought. But we are so tired of shoveling snow.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon. I am off to bake some muffins. Type at y'all later.