Woman of Color #5

You're on Page 2 of 30
Go to
  • Happy Friday too lovely ladies! hi free1 and tricia. I love the pic and quote tricia. I was going to write and say the same thing free1 about zumba. I'm all about the freebies on zumba. They'll have you sweating and moving and shaking in no time. What other excercises do you all do? I do mostlly Shapley Secrets (called Abdonda) and occassional walking?>. Have a good weekeknd y'all
  • Thanks for checking out the blog, Tricia! I plan to get some new posts up over the next week.

Kede: I've taken up running. I also like to do kickboxing and Zumba. I love Jillian Michaels workout DVDs too.
  • Hi all,

I have just recently joined the forum and wanted to say hello. I was glad to see some women a little more like me. It helps to feel like you are the only one facing the struggle. Nice to meet you!
  • Hi, Aunrio! We're glad to have you! Looks like you've made some awesome progress already!
  • Hey, energie! Glad to see you back around! Your goal is tough, but achievable if you stay focused. I've been using the MyFitnessPal app. I love the way I'm able to track, and it works well for giving people individual support.

If anyone uses MFP, I'm HealthyBlkGirl on there!
  • Hi everyone! I hope your day is going well. Just checking in to report I lost 3.6lbs last week - I weigh in every Tuesday in my WeightWatchers meeting. Since then I've been extra motivated to stay on-plan!

energie- good luck with your challenge! I aim tountil April 1 to have lost 30 lbs but by 5/13 (my birthday) I aim to have lost 45 lbs altogether!

So I just read a really good blog post by one of my fave weight-loss bloggers and a part of it really got to me - thought y'all would appreciate:
    There were plenty of days where I messed up and ate something I knew I shouldn’t have – not because I’m a dieter, but because I’m changing my habits and sometimes running on “auto-pilot” gets the best of us. I don’t use that as a “sign that this isn’t for me,” a “sign that I’m destined to be unhappy with myself,” or a “sign that I need to call it quits.” I use that as a reminder that change is hard, frustrating and a sign that the goals I want to achieve will require much more reflection, introspection and patience than I’d originally budgeted for in my mind.
    From here: Q&A Wednesday - "Falling Off" (and "Getting Back On") the Wagon

The lesson she discusses is a lesson I've recently learned and applied to my own journey to better health. I used to beat up on myself for slipups and get stressed over it but no more! Stress adds pounds, you know? This process is about love for myself and if I'm truly loving myself I'm going to forgive myself, learn from the mistake and move forward on this journey.

If you aren't familiar with A Black Girl's Guide to Weight Loss already, I highly recommend it! I've learned a lot about approaching weight loss in a healthy manner from reading this blog regularly.

• Happy almost Friday everyone!

TRICIA....Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for the 30 minute ones. I'll post from the ER if something goes wrong By the way, I'm originally from Brooklyn too. East Flatbush baby.....

Kede...I do Walk Away The Pounds...It's not Zumba by any means or supper exciting but it was challenging enough to kickstart my weight loss but light enough to not kill me. I can't do jumping and running...I started at over 284 and just couldn't handle the jumping and running. I needed something that would work me out but not kill me. Walk Away the Pounds worked for me because I could choose to do 1., 2 or 3 miles.

Now that I'm more fit (I just bought clothes that weren't in the plus section...Yeah Me), I do more challenging Walk Away The Pounds DVDs (like the Walk and Jog and Walk Slim). I also do Tae Bo Cardio as well...Check you tube, it's there for free.
  • Happy Friday everyone! I have been doing OK as far and diet. Im planning to do a nine day diet starting monday to get me back going. I havent been that bad with diet but I could be doing better.

I like just dance wii games! You get good workouts and they arent boring and they are fun and family oriented!

Have a great weekend!!
  • thanks Tricia. It looks like we have about the same goals. We can do this. That is good advice about slip ups. It is really about loving and feeling good about yourself internally.

matilda-what's your 9 day diet like?

I realized that my main challenge will be staying off the scale. I decided that instead of waiting until March for my next weigh in, I will weigh in mid Feb. Once a month weigh ins will work better for me.

Today was a good day for me. I ran for 15 minutes, walked for 20 minutes and went on the elliptical for 15 minutes... Totaling a 50 minute workout with 500 calories burned. I ate within my desired range and now its bed time.
  • Hi everyone!!!

energie- Thanks for checking out the blog! Yes, I'm Leslie. I plan to get some new posts up this week. I'm terrible.

Tricia- Congrats on the big loss!

Tomorrow is my weigh in day. I can't stay away from the scale. I've been following the 17 day diet. The weight is coming off again, and I'm just above my smallest weight of 189.9. I'm feeling really good about weight loss this go round. I start my half marathon program tomorrow, so that will help a lot. One issue is that I want to eat a lot more when I run usually. I'm going to Zumba tonight.

Oh, I think I remember some of you ladies talking about having natural hair. I plan to put more about that on my blog too.
  • Hi ladies,

Nice to meet you all and your stories are motivating. I am struggling to move the scale lower, but I imagine it has to be that my fitness level actually increased so that the same old workout isn't cutting it. I joined a YMCA volleyball league that starts in February to get something new added.
  • Hi Aunrio! A volleyball league looks like fun! Hope that gets the scale moving!
  • beaka-how'd the weigh in go?

welcome aunrio

Today I did 70 minutes on the treadmill. So I feel good about that. My next weigh in I decided will be on Feb 1. Soooo we shall see.......

• Hello ladies so far Jan is going great down about 6lbs so I think im heading into the right direction! I hope all is well keep up the good work!!!!
  • Beaka- since starting the 17 day diet how much have you lost?