Old 10-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias # 48

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chill day in the 60's this day in the Heartland. Looks like out summer heat days are over. I wonder if it actually froze last night as it was predicted. If it did there goes the rest of our tomatoes that had made a comeback. We actually had blossoms on those plants. Yesterday Will picked the bell peppers which had gotten up to golf ball size after being beaten down in that big storm we had. Maybe I could stuff them with one meat ball. The dogs are at the groomer and Cecil sure misses them. He is looking all over for them. O brother ~ I just got a call from a gal that is at a local establesment to sell tickets for a dinner we are putting on for the Wounded Warriers and the man I deleverd the tickets to hasn't given them to the ones who are there to sell them. A real oiled machine. Will is at the radio station recording a message and the cat is entertaining me. He is such a hoot. He loves wadded up pieces of paper. He put one in his play station then dives in and retrieves it. I wad small squares up to be the size of a large marble. At any given time you can see him walking around with one in his mouth. The dogs come along and squash them flat and I pick them up and put them in the trash but there are always new ones to be had. I am at the point once again where I have to get a grip for I am not losing. Perhaps I need to bump up my exercise a bit and get back to writing what I bite more religiously. I am not real happy with what the scale has been telling me. I know I need to get a grip. Too much of a good thing is still not always a good thing.

DONNA FAYE Do you weigh once a week or is this for a couple of days? You are doing so well and I hope you keep your momentum for the druation. You will love adding charms to your bracelet. When I wear mine it is a constant reminder so I am not taking it off for I do need a constant reminder. That picture is a hoot on that charm and perfect for you. Are they made of silver? What fun it is going to be for you to add charms as you lose. Your stuffed peppers sound yummy. It is such a good idea to par boil them ahead. I am gong to make your recipe for dinner and ran it though the WW recipe builder and it comes out to 6P+ which is definitely do-able. When Will picks up the dogs from the groomer he will pick up the bell peppers and fresh mushrooms. I have all the other ingredients on hand. Thanks for the good dinner idea.

JEAN & SUSAN & GAIL a good morning to you.

I need to go get something out of the freezer for lunch. I love having a microwave to thaw "stuff" these days.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-17-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been another windy cool day in my corner of the world. This morning I balanced at church, went to the funeral, skipped the lunch which smelled delicious (usually it's sandwiches and salads), then came home to get my cookies, candies, nuts, and Bible reading ready to go for this afternoon. Stayed after the meeting and helped the hostess put her house back together, then went to the hospital to pick up the gift shop money. I'll do that in the morning when my brain isn't on overload. Tonight I have card club which I completely forgot about. In looking at the calendar realize my crafty group is meeting Thursday afternoon, I have a memorial committee meeting at 3, and then a nominating committee meeting at 5:15. It seems like everything is happening this week!

"Gma" -- on another 3#s that are gone forever! It's interesting that you mentioned Jack and retirement. A gal at church was saying that her husband was thinking about retiring; his friends tell him that those who are "in charge" hate retirement and those who work under someone else love it. The thought being those "in charge" aren't in charge of anyone and try to take over the household administration duties which doesn't sit well with the Mrs. Your bell peppers sound delicious! Is Jackson's hat a stocking cap or one of the animal ones with ears, etc.? I really like the yarn and patterns for you next projects. You will have fun adding charms and beads to your bracelet.

Maggie -- We are supposed to have a "hard" freeze tomorrow night. It has been in the low 40s the last couple nights and I can tell the house is cooler in the morning when I get up. I hope your tickets get delivered and sold asap! I know I lose better when I journal and I've been really bad the last few weeks. *shudder* Once I get lax it eventually goes by the wayside. Please share your grip with me!

Guess I will get out of my "good" clothes and change into comfy clothes for tonight. Enjoy your evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #3  

Good morning ladies. Rough sleeping night last night and I just gave up at 4 am. I have to take Jack to work today as I have to go to the dr's and leave a note for her about my prescriptions because she never called them back and they are sending them back to me! I am going to impress on the women in the office the urgency of her getting the note and hopefully she will fax my prescriptions in as I have about 5 days left.

I have to go to the store and get more bread, lettuce, and a couple other things. Then I am coming home and trying to take a nap for a bit. I feel dragged through the mud this morning. At least I have a clean house!

Jean: I am making Jackson just a regular winter hat, but it has a cool pattern I have never seen before. I had a ton of this plum colored yarn left from a zip up sweater and hat I made him a couple years back so I am using it and a skein of daffodil colored wool I had so it didn't cost me anything extra to make it. I have had a time with the darn thing though, not because of the pattern, but because of the pattern.... The pattern directions on sizes was vague and I had the first one half done and it just looked way too small for his head so I ripped the whole thing out and started over hoping using just the larger sized needles would work and looks like it will. When they don't provide sizes other than "child" it could be any size and it was sized for probably a small toddler by the look of it. My little guy has lots of brains in his head so he has a big head! The peppers are good and they are pretty easy to do too. I saw a recipe that recommended blanching them for about 3 minutes first and that did the trick. They came out of the oven all nice and soft but still with a little body to the as they didn't fall apart when I lifted them out of the dish.

Maggie: How did your peppers come out? You like spices so my recipe might have been a bit bland for you and on top of that, I don't add salt to my recipes because I am trying to cut down and Jack doesn't eat salt at all so hopefully if they aren't flavored enough you can just jazz them up however you want. I like the spaghetti sauce versus the tomato sauce though as they seem less acidic that way.

I have started my Christmas shopping and have the two men's "gag" Toys for Tots gifts for this year and some books for Jackson. His mom is reading him "big boy" books as he calls them, ie paperbacks, and I bought him some fun titles. He loves Captain Underpants and I bought him a couple other ones that are silly like that. They have a lot of authors who right for 4-8 year olds that are not golden book style books, but more like mini novels. I bought him a series called Flat Stanley where a bulletin board falls on Stanley and flattens him and he can get through mail slots, etc and has adventures, one called Horrid Henry and Horrid Henry's Underpants and one called Super Burp. You know the type where kids get into trouble trying to help or lots of body functions gone wrong or whatever. If he were a girl I would be buying Beverly Cleary books for him or Juney B books. I couldn't decide whether to buy him Amelia Bedelia books or not. I think they could be for a boy or girl as she is a crazy maid, but I kept with boy characters that burp!

Well, I am going to go. Have a good morning this morning all. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 10-18-2011 at 05:20 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a gloomy and VERY windy day in my corner of the world this morning. I just finished doing the gift shop bank deposit, and need to make a trip into town. It was a pretty good sales week and I had to recount and recheck my figures three times to be sure I got the same totals twice. I'm kind of dreading what the Christmas shopping days will be like; if I'm lucky most of it will be payroll deductions. Last night the card club hostess hadn't turned her furnace on yet and after some of us admitted we were cold (like numb!) she did turn it on. One gal is still wearing sandals; I must be getting old because I've been wearing socks for weeks now. When my feet are cold I'm cold all over!

"Gma" -- I'm betting a good nap will make you feel lots better! I hope you can get your prescription message to the doctor and then get them in time before you run out. Maybe she would give you samples just in case. I had to at Jackson having a big head because he has lots of brains! Maddy really likes the Amelia Bedelia books. She rereads all her books and takes them with her when she's in the car traveling. I think books are a great gift and encourages reading which is so important in school.

I need to get my paperwork punched and in the notebook so had better keep moving. I still have leftover cookies to put in the freezer and fur bunnies to vacuum. A nap in front of the tv sounds better! Have a terrific rest of the day!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #5  

Jean: Does Maddy read the babysitters club books? Kelly loved those books when she was a kid around Maddy's age. You and I grew up on Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, The Boxcar Children, and there was a series of books about a set of twins. Darn, have to look that one up, can't remember their names, it was a boy and girl and they solved mysteries. My sister loved them. I like true stories like Clara Barton, stuff like that though I was hooked on Cherry Ames. I always loved to read, maybe because my family life was crummy and I could escape. I, like you think if you can read, you can do anything in life. I gave a love of reading to my kids and hopefully to their kids too. I don't buy Thomas books anymore, but I do buy books for Jackson every birthday and Christmas.

I got all the errands done and the receptionist promised she would get the envelope to my dr and get the meds thing taken care of. I went to the grocery store and they had one checker and I got stuck behind the WIC/Welfare person again and she had all this baby food and stuff for her WIC so I had to stand in line forever. I couldn't self checkout because I had a gift card for my son's birthday and you can't scan it in proper in the self checkout so I stood and waited and waited and waited. I hate getting behind these people, not because of the waiting but because I see what they are buying and it irks me every time. This chick bought shrimp scampi!!!! Sheesh. Anyway, got all that done, then stopped and filled up with gas, ran the card for Jay to the mailbox and came home and unloaded the car, put everything away and made myself some lunch. I ate lunch then unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, put salve in Fortune's eyes and sat down here to see if I had a message from someone on facebook about a Scentsy party she is having. She is a friend of Kelly's that lives in Indiana and I told her next party she had to let me know I wanted to order some stuff. I have to find out some info about it as I have never bought any of the stuff to use. Jack will hate is as he hates having fragrance in the house and in the car, but I like it. It is nice not to have the house smell like dog and you can't avoid it if you have a dog, even a little one. Scentsy is melting fragrance wax in electric warmers and they have the little disks for the car and several other types of things too and wow do they have some great fragrances. I love cinnamon and clove smell and they have several combos of that right now.

Well, I am going to knit and if I get sleepy set my alarm for 2PM and take a little nap. I have to go get Jack around 2:15 or so. Have a good rest of the day! Faye
Old 10-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Tuesday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Today is a chilly one and it is expected to freeze tomorrow night. Fall has fell and there is frost on the pumpkin. I don't like for the kitten to walk across my keyboard on this laptop but stoping him has been a challange when he gets on this table. I picked him up and along with him came two key tops. Little scudder had hooked his nails in the edge and bingo ~ up came the tops. I am glad they are easy to just pop back on but I can't have that behavior. He is sitting on my desk right now looking down at Beanie. Tonight for dinner we will be having Beef Stroganoff. I have a good crock pot recipe for it from an old WW magazine that I have up graded the points value in to reflect the amount in the new program. It used to be 4 points and now it is 5 points+ and is very yummy. I will serve it over wide egg noodles and count the points+ on them and have a lovely dinner along with a nice salad. All the ingredients that go in the crock pot at this time are sure smelling good right now. When it is half hour from being done I will add the sour cream and other last minute ingredients. It has been awhile since I have made this and it is one of Wills most favorite dishes. Of course I have added some things to the recipe that didn't add any points+ but make it more "me" if you get the drift. If anyone wants the recipe let me know.

DONNA FAYE I sure hope you get your meds all straightened out. We just got notice today that our company for mail ordering our has changed. Another company made a lower bid to do them so now we get to know a new place. I did spice up your recipe, of course , because we do like spicer things and will make it again. I just added a few spices to the burger mix that went well with the rest of the ingredients. I didn't add any salt because I hardly ever use the stuff. Spices take the place of it nicely. The guys gave me rave reviews. Thanks again for a wonderful idea for a yummy dinner. That wasn't good that the folks that put out that pattern didn't say the size. How is a gal to know if it doesn't say. There are such good writers out there for childrens books these days and it is good that the kids do like to read. Reading is so important. I know some college students that have never read a book they didn't "have" to. I am so glad I spent so much time at our little library within walking distance to our home back then. The librian taught me how to catalogue books and keep them in their proper places. She was such a nice lady. The town was small but within walking distance for my little legs. There was a grade scool, post office, dry goods store, hardware store, library, drug store, movie house, 5 and dime, clinic, dentist and a small market and a liquor store. It had everyting but not two or ten of everything that is now in the cities. Where I took the bus to high school was a bigger town where we did most of our shopping for there were better choices. The Library was my favorite hang out. I still love books.

JEAN You are one busy lady these days. Seems you are busier than when you were in the working class. It is nap time for Cecil and I have closed my office door to keep his dogs out. He has chosen to sleep under my desk on a piece of felt he knocked off my table. A piece of green felt I got out to make some package decorations with. Holley leaves. Anyway the baby has claimed it for his nap time. Burrr sandals. Mine are all put up in their place in clear plastic boxes on a shelf in my closet. They will serve me a few more warm weather months. I am not hard on my shoes and I buy expensive ones that will work with my brace and so they last. I am careful not to buy the "trendy" kinds because they go out of fashion before I would wear them out. I have a basic Birkenstock look pair that I totally love. I always did wear Birkies in my former life. I was a working girl and not a hippy but I was hip the way I dressed.

SUSAN & GAIL Hope all is well with your little corner of the world. Hope to see you here soon.

It is 3:25 and I have not eaten anything as of yet this day. I really do need to go get some lunch even though I am not hungry. Dinner willl be at 7 pm this day and I need some sustanence. Type at y'all later.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #7  

Good morning everyone. It is quite chilly and windy here this morning and will remain so for a couple days. It was pretty windy yesterday and it got down into the 40's yesterday with hard rain at times so it was cold feeling. It is supposed to be back into the 70's by the weekend and most of next week, but it is closing in on the end of October so we can't expect warm temps much longer.

I have laundry to do this morning and my regular chores and I am going to work on the hat and try and get it finished before I get my other yarn. I need to still finish that sock too. I have been reading too much and knitting not enough so I can get projects done. I have 3 immediate ones needing to be finished before the end of the year and then I can work on my own sweaters and wraps and get them done for vacation next year.

Fortune had one of his up and down nights so around 2 AM he started getting on and off and on and off, but I wouldn't budge until Jack got up for work. He is sleeping now the little stinker.

We are going to have beef stew for dinner with a dinner roll tonight. Gives us all we need except fruit right in one bowl! Easy peasy, which is nice and it warms you up on this chilly day, too.

Maggie: Little spray bottle with water and spritz the kitten and he will quit that. It may take awhile to teach him, but he will get the idea. I would like the recipe so zip it to me. I like to make boeuf bourginon too and it isn't all that hard. I think sometimes people make cooking a lot harder than it really it. In this day of boxed and frozen everything, no one wants to take the time to cook anything and that's where the rub comes, time.

Jean: I found when I am cold to cover my head and I almost instantly warm up. Sounds stupid, but if I get cold at night and can't get warm, I put the cover over my head for a bit and warm right up.

Well, better get out of here and get the laundry in the dryer and unload and reload the dishwasher. Have a grand day all! Faye
Old 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! I am sitting here with the space heater running and a cup of hot tea trying to warm up! It's a COLD day (27 degrees!) in my corner of the world this morning. I just got home from getting new nails and then returned library books. The nail guy always had the thermostat cooler than what I like and then uses a little fan to dry the nail polish. Later this afternoon I have bell practice. Bob, and farmer friend, finished harvest yesterday so now I will have to cook for regular meal time again. I fixed a roast last night so will have leftovers today.

"Gma" -- I have never heard Maddy mention the babysitter books. I know they made lots of trips to the library this summer and now she brings books home from school. I remember the Cherry Ames books and the twins books, but I don't remember the twins' names either. I have Scentsy wax burners because Beth has a friend who sells it. Beth gave me a night light that you put the wax in the top. I thought the wax lost its scent so pitched it but guess if you pour it back into the mold it will smell again. Ernie doesn't mind water so the water bottle doesn't bother him. With Leonard all I had to do was show it to him and he'd take off. Bob covers his head with the blankets when he is cold at night. I'm thinking it is flannel sheet time!

Maggie -- The bird bath froze last night so Bob will have to get the heater out. A squirrel was sitting on the edge and I know he was looking right at me wondering what happened to his drink. I read a hint about putting marbles or small rocks in a can and then shaking it when the cat is up on the counter or doing whatever you don't want it to. I've never tried it. I always thought that since we weren't home during the day the cat(s) would do as they pleased anyhow. Ernie picks a new nap site every once in awhile. He always goes back to his blanket on our bed eventually. I would like your recipe also, please.

I need to water my plants and get a couple of church birthday cards ready to send. Hope you all have a great and wonderful Wednesday!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #9  

Jean: Yahoo, Trixie Belden is one of the books and the Bobbsey Twins are the twins! Have to be honest, I googled to get them as I could not remember them to save my life. Drives me nuts when I can't remember something and then out of the blue it will come to me and usually I shout it out and Jack jumps and is like...."Huh?" I haven't been getting my nails done, but I am thinking of taking it up again. They look so nice and my nails no matter what I do or what I eat always stay brittle. They grow fine, but then snap off or crack. Next time ask Maddy about the Babysitters Club and if she hasn't read them, tell her to look for them. I am sure she will like them. They are very girly girl books.

I started the stew and am waiting for it to boil to turn it down so it can cook. I am sure Jack will enjoy it if he worked outside today. It is pretty chilly, though nothing like Jean's house obviously.

I saw Lindsay Lohan is in trouble again and they revoked her bail or whatever as she didn't complete an agreed upon community thing. I think a good stint in jail just might scare her to death and not the namby pamby jail either, the hard one. Such a talented young girl that just couldn't stay away from the booze, drugs and partying, but then what parental influence did she have???

I see this advertisement for Wonder Slim bars next to the posting and they look good, but I bet they taste like cardboard, most of those kind of things do.

Well, I hear it bubbling like mad in the kitchen. Sounds like a witches brew from here! Have fun this afternoon. Faye
Old 10-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #10  

Good morning gals. Sitting here sipping pumpkin spice tea, yum! I have an autumn spice I haven't tried yet, but sure helps with hunger. I try to eat breakfast now between 7 and 8 and was hungry so went for the tea and splenda. It is chilly here again this morning, but at least it is dry. The wind was whipping up something awful last night when Jack let Fortune out before bedtime, but it is calm and quiet out at the moment. I had to go to the bathroom and got up and of course that disturbed Fortune so no going back to bed at the moment. I just came downstairs and went ahead and fed him so he will go back to sleep afterwards.

We are going to have flank steak, baked potato and green beans for dinner tonight. The stew turned out pretty good on the chilly evening yesterday as Jack had to work out in the cold and wind all day pretty much so he was ready for some good hot stew.

They still don't have my prescriptions posted as being processed. I am giving them until Monday and if they don't have them, I am going back to the dr's office and raise the roof. Dr's want people to take care of themselves and take their meds, well they have to have them to take them. It doesn't take but a couple minutes to fax a prescription and it should have been done the same day I took it over there. I am going to call or email Expresscripts and see if they even have received it yet.

I finished Jackson's hat. I made a beautiful tassel for it, but it looks too girly I think so no tassel. It is called a twisted slip stitch and it did give me quite a time of it even though it isn't really a difficult pattern. The colors are daffodil and plum. I think I have enough of this color to make him a pair of mittens so after breakfast I am going to tackle those. I should be getting my birthday yarn in a couple days I imagine. I am anxious to see what the mohair color looks like.

Nothing much going on it my world. Oh, did you see that the ex wife of the heir to the Gucci fortune has refused parole, (she was convicted of ordering the murder of her then husband I guess.) If she is paroled she is required to get a job and she says she has never worked a day in her life and doesn't ever intend to, so she will just stay in prison. Brother!

Have a good Thursday all. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jacksonshat.jpg (58.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by gma22; 10-20-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining so it looks warmer than the 29 degrees on the thermometer. I just finished "spit shining" the kitchen and need to vacuum the crumbs 'n fur. Ernie has been playing hockey with pieces of his dry food. I have WW later this morning, crafty club this afternoon, a memorial committee meeting at 3, and then a nominating committee meeting at 5:15. I hope to be back home by 7. Some days I have nothing to leave the house for and other days are packed full. I'm thankful I am able to do both.

"Gma" -- Ah, yes, it was the Bobbsey twins! Now I remember too! Your menu sounds good; we ate out last night so will have the leftovers tonight. I need to clean out the fridge as I think there are some furry things towards the back. Bob is much better about eating leftovers than I am, and when he is off farming he doesn't come home at noon. Jackson's hat is really neat! Did you knit with 2 strands or how did you get the striped effect? I didn't see the Gucci ex-wife tidbit. I'll bet she's a charmer in the pen. The neighbor's dog is named Gucci -- the girls named her.

I need to put together something to wear and put a load of laundry in the washer. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #12  

Jean: No, the yarn is not striped. It is done on a pattern of 9 rows then repeated. The first 2 rows you slip the first stitch like you knit it to the needle without knitting it then k2 st and repeat that all the way around. The 3rd row you knit a whole row of yellow, 4,5 rows you k1 st, then slip 1 st, then kn2 stitches, then slip 1 and k2 the rest of the way around, row 6 you knit the whole row in the yellow, 7 and 8 you k2 then slip 1 all the way around and row 9 you knit a whole row of yellow. That's how it comes out when you repeat it over and over. Glad you like it. Hope you don't end up exhausted today with all that running around! have a good one!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #13  

Good morning, ladies!Only 52 degrees but sunny after rain yesterday.

I guess I should be thinking about switching the closets so I have my winter clothes out. I'm still wearing sandals, but I put a jacket on this morning. I think another week or 2 is all I can wear light weight stuff. The leaves haven't started to turn yet.

I 've been working a normal work week this week and next, too, since my boss asked me to come in while he is on a cruise from Greece to Turkey. I'm just not used to 8-hour days anymore. Monday night was Bible study and last night was my applique bee at the library. Tonight is my Ladies of the Evening bee and tomorrow I am taking an English Paper Piecing class at Bella and then tomorrow night is lock-in. No one can accuse me of being an old person who sits in her chair watching tv all day. I look forward to days when I don't have to go anywhere or do anything and they are few and far between.

Faye, doctors around her will not fax prescriptions anymore. They email to some pharmacies and after that you get the paper and have to mail it or fax it on your own. My docs are good in that they write the prescriptions for a full year and I see both of them in January so its all taken care of easily. If I have to have a short term prescription, I pick it up at Walgreens. I had every one of the Bobbsey Twin books - Freddie and Flossie and Nan and Burt were the 2 sets of twins. I also had the Cherry Ames books - she was a nurse. I can remember my Dad taking me to the library to get my first library card when I was 7 years old (had to be that age back then). I was so proud. We had a small library and I think I read every child's book they had and progressed to adult fiction in middle school. You could give Thomas Amazon gift certificates to put books of his choice on his Kindle. Stew sounds good. I can put it in the crockpot before I go to work and have dinner ready when I get home. I go some frozen wheat dinner rolls that you can bake one at a time so that would be good with it. Asthmatics and COPDers have a hard time because people have all this fragrance in their homes now. I have problems with perfumes, too. I love Jackson's hat!

Jean, its too cold in your neck of the woods! Cotton harvest is just about ready to start here. We've planted our winter veggies and flowers. I'm hoping for no snow this year.

Maggie, the recipe, please! I had one from WW for stroganoff but lost it somewhere along the way. I was at Sandy's on Sunday and the neighbor's kids came over and said there was a stray cat in the neighborhood. A little later they came and said it was on Sandy's deck. I went out and it was an adorable, half-grown female that was spayed and declawed. She was so thin and came right to me. I was going to take her home but the little boy started to cry and insisted it was their cat. I'm still sorry I didn't take her. Not only can't I stand a kitty without a home, it's almost Halloween and she is totally black so I worry about here being abused then. I'm going to take my carrier up and put it on the deck with some food in it and see if I can get her.

Well, back to work! Have a great day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #14  

I belong to a knitting facebook page and someone posted this. I thought it was cute and wanted to share it.

A Knitware Before Christmas...

Twas the night before Christmas and all around me
Was unfinished knitting not under the tree.
The stockings weren't hung by the chimney with care
'Cause the heels and toes had not a stitch there.
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
But I had not finished the caps for their heads.
Dad was asleep; he was no help at all,
And the sweater for him was six inches too small,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter
I put down my needles to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tripped over my yarn and fell down with a crash.
The tangle of yarn that lay deep as the snow
Reminded me how much I still had to go.
Out on my lawn I heard such a noise,
I thought it would wake both Dad and the boys.
And though I was tired, my brain a bit thick,
I knew in a moment it must be St Nick.
But what I heard then left me perplex-ed,
For not a name I heard was what I expected,
"Move, Ashford! Move, Lopi! Move, Addi and Clover!
Move, Reynolds! Move Starmore! Move Froelich --move over
Paton, don't circle 'round; stand in the line.
Come now, you sheep will work out just fine!
I know this is hard; it's just your first year,
I'd hate to go back to eight tiny reindeer."
I peered over the sill; what I saw was amazing,
Eight wooly sheep on my lawn all a-grazing.
And then, in a twinkle, I heard at the door
Santa's feet coming across the porch floor.
I rose from my knees and got back on my feet,
And as I turned 'round St Nick I did meet.
He was dressed all in wool from his head to his toe,
And his clothes were hand knit from above to below.
A bright Fairisle sweater he wore on his back,
And his toys were all stuffed in an Aran knit sack.
His cap was a wonder of bobbles and lace
A beautiful frame for his rosy red face.
The scarf 'round his neck could have stretched for a mile,
And the socks peeking over his boots were Argyle.
The back of his mittens bore an intricate cable.
And suddenly on one I espied a small label,
"S.C." was duplicate stitched on the cuff,
And I asked, "Hey, Nick, did you knit all this stuff?"
He proudly replied, "Ho, ho, ho, yes I did.
I learned how to knit when I was a kid."
He was chubby and plump, a quite well-dressed old man,
And I laughed to myself, for I'd thought up a plan.
I flashed him a grin and jumped up in the air,
And the next thing he knew, he was tied to a chair,
He spoke not a word, but looked in his lap
Where I'd laid my needles and yarn for a cap.
He quickly began knitting, first one cap then two,
For the first time I thought I might really get through.
He put heels in the stockings and toes in some socks.
While I sat back drinking scotch on the rocks.
So quickly like magic his needles they flew
That he was all finished by quarter to two.
He sprang for his sleigh when I let him go free,
And over his shoulder he looked back at me,
And I heard him exclaim as he sailed past the moon,
"Next year start your knitting sometime around June!"
Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Thursday

GOOD DAY MAGNOLIAS

I can see by my clock that is just a few mintues after noon o'clock. It is slated to be a chilly day here in the Heartland and I am staying inside for I have chores to complete this day. Cecil is asleep on the top of his play station and the dogs are napping in the front room and Will is at his volunteer job at the Museum. He just has two sections of that book about this region to reset so it can be sent to the printer. He does it on his computer and turns in the chapters to the museum. Puts it on a thumb drive and they download it and then give his thumb drive back so he keeps a good copy that way. They will put the book up for sale when it all gets published. The reason for doing all this work is that the publisher threw away the origional and so when they wanted a reprint they didn't have the origional any longer. I don't have to think about what to make for dinner for we will be having left-over Stroganoff. Yum. I still have some fixin's for a nice green salad with tomatoes. I am thinking of making a loaf of bread in my machine. It makes small sized loaves so we eat it up before it goes bad. We don't eat much bread in this house anymore. Yep when I get off of this computer I will make a loaf of bread. Not sure what kind just yet but I will check my recipes and decide. I have some of those spices and seeds and such that I can put on the top and make it yummy that way. It is really called bagel topping but I use it for things besides bagels. I have just about talked my self into a rustic type multi grained bread with a topping. Yes.

DONNA FAYE I love that cap you knitted. It is so neat and he will love it. You do know that the reason our fore fathers wore night caps is because they realized that the body heat does escape from our heads. Men now days just put their heads under the covers. They should wear night caps. I do have a spray bottle with water in it but didn't want to get water on my keys. But I just may have to chance doing that to keep Cecil to quit that behavior. Will has a gun that shoots tiny plastic beads that works in the front room when he gets in the potted plants. The beads are smaller than a pea and bright orange. They don't hurt when they hit but give a surprise. Thanks for posting that poem ~ clever woman & what a hoot.

JEAN Sounds like you have busy days then days to rest up and then go again. Good thing you enjoy them both. Hope your trip to WW shows a loss for you this day. Evidently Cycel doesn't like the treats we bought for him because he plays hockey with them and sends them over to Beanie that eats them. Beanie will eat anything. It is so funny when Beanie is playing with Cecil and Cecil lets out a yap I tell Beanie to stop for awhile. Well he complies and does stop ~ then Cecil attacks Beanie. Guess I should stay out of it and let them carry on. At least now when I tell Beanie it is time for Cecil to take a nap he does comply and leave the room. When we frist bought Cecil into the house Beanie lost his hearing. He wouldn't do anything he was told because he was so zeroed in on the kitten. Now that time has passed he is back to his self that does mind when told to do something. He hears me now. They really adapted to each other quicker than I thought they would. I knew Ragg Mopp liked kittys but Beanie was never around any. It will be interesting when Cecil gets almost as big as Beanie.

SUSAN Yep I do belive winter is upon us. I need to switch my close around in my closet also. I have my shoes all put in their proper boxes and have been reluctant to tackle the decisions in the closet. My favorite jacket is still hanging on the hook by the back door waiting to be taken to the cleaners. It is the light colored berber one that is best to wear to church. I have other ones I use for out and about ventures that are washable. The berber one is washable also but has a silk lining and I'd rather have the cleaners do it up. Not go anywhere or do anything. Now that is a concept. I can't see that day ever coming your way. I do hope that poor kitty does come to your food that you put out and you can give it a nice home. I look over at my kitty all curled up in a crescent shape ball just snoozing away and it puts a smile on my face. Since we had such a hot summer they say that we are in for more snow this year. Bah Humbug.

GAIL My dear friend I do miss you so much. Hope all is going well with you and yours.

I am off to do some fun stuff. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-20-2011 at 01:53 PM.