Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #166  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

ennay - could you post your split pea soup recipe? I have a bag of split peas in my cupboard, and I am not sure what to do with them!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #167  

S/C/G: 148/134/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I've been wondering what I'll do with skiing. Running doesnt make me hungry but skiing famishes me.

When do you start to feel it? Have you been eating lunch at noon on the slopes? If it isnt cutting it I would say eat breakfast. When you are working that hard the insulin response is mitigated anyway and you should be able to get back into IF the next day.
I don't eat any actual meals while skiing. I waste no time, while everyone else is digging into a 20-euro plate of spaghetti. I just have a snack and short break around 11:30.

It's not bad for the first hour or so, after that I get pretty tired and cold. In previous winters I never felt cold. I pretty much want to quit all the slaloming, jumping, and off-slope fun by midday and just slide lazily down. I think I will have breakfast. I love a hot bowl of oatmeal in the morning anyway.
graterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #168  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

The people I ski with are pretty into lunch, but we usually eat around 1 so....

I dont ski often and my legs are pretty toast after lunch anyway, part of me would rather ski through and then knock off early

guac

2 stalks celery chopped*
2 carrots chopped
1 med onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
1-2T olive oil, butter or bacon grease
1 meaty ham bone
1 lb split peas
1T dried thyme
4 bay leaves
~6 cups water

- ham cut from bone - diced into bite size pieces

* how finely you chop the veggies depends on if you plan on pureeing the soup or leaving soup chunky. If you are leaving it chunky chop fairly finely <1/2 inch pieces. If you are going to puree later just rough chop.

Saute carrots, onions and celery in fat over medium-high heat until starting to soften and aromatic ~ 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 additional minute. Place ham bone in the center of the veggie pile and add water, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to boil, add peas, reduce heat to maintain simmer, cover and simmer for 1-1.5 hour stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves, puree if desired and add chopped ham. Heat briefly to warm ham through.

For vegetarian split pea, omit ham and ham bone and use veggie broth or double carrots and celery and add 1T italian seasoning. If you arent veggie but dont have a ham or dont want to use ham, chicken broth will give more flavor than plain water.

At the end you may need to add additional water to thin depending on how you like your soup.

mta - it is best to use a fairly heavy pot as peas tend to stick on hotspots

Last edited by ennay; 01-06-2012 at 11:45 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #169  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Thanks for the recipe!! Sounds yummy and filling!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #170  

Hey all, Happy New Year!

Have no idea why I'm posting as I'm going to wait until next Wednesday to weigh in. I'd lost 4 lbs. before the holidays and although I kept to my eating window, I relaxed it a bit on those days.

Felt absolutely glorious not to feel guilty about enjoying what I ate and noticed I didn't eat as much as I normally would. Due in part to knowing I could and keeping pretty much to my workouts, which is Curves and their Zumba workouts (apart from the machines). Love it!

My window is still mainly 3 p.m. - 8 p.m., but if it needs adjusted on occasion, so be it. I usually have a couple cups of coffee (morning and afternoon) before my window opens, both with cream and Splenda. Neither of which seem to affect the weight loss I was beginning to see.

Have a good afternoon!

Last edited by LavenderDreams; 01-06-2012 at 04:17 PM.
LavenderDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #171  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Oooooh this is weird. I'm racing today so I am eating breakfast. I'm kind of having to force it. Odd feeling
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #172  

Howdy y'all!.. I haven't been here in quite a while & am thrilled to see so much activity in the past month... as for IFing, I put it on hold a couple of months ago, & wish now I hadn't done that... so, I'm back with a vengeance... today is day 3... I do best with a fairly short evening window... officially, it's from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm, but I usually stop eating by 8:00...

All this talk of running has got me excited about starting up running again... it's been many, many years since I ran much, so I can pretty much count myself a beginner... I found a running group in my area that has 5K training sessions every Saturday morning... too bad I didn't find it before this morning!.. oh, well, I can start next week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
It's insane how much easier staying on plan is when I IF. Once I take that "first bite" in the morning before I'm supposed to it opens the floodgates. I continue to nibble and graze all day and don't ever seem to get full with meals.
WOW!!!.. can I relate to this!.. this was my biggest problem during the holidays, especially during my visit with my parents... my mom is an amazing cook & is always pretty insistent that we all eat breakfast, lunch, & dinner... of course, since it was Christmas, there were all sorts of sinful goodies around 24 hours a day... I found them too hard to resist... these first few days back on IF are giving me a chance to get my stomach used to not being full all the time... I think eating all day gets me so used to having a full stomach that to have it less full is extremely uncomfortable, physically as well as mentally & emotionally... so just cutting back is just not possible... the only remedy is to go cold turkey... IF rocks!..

hugs

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 01-07-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #173  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

hmmm...I may have to replan race day fueling. Not being used to breakfast anymore I felt a bit uncomfortable most of the race. Might have to stick with liquid or gel calories. Blech.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 161.4/145/130

Height: 5'5"

Ennay how did you do on the race? What was the distance? It sucks doing a race and not feeling your best while doing it. I guess with IF it's trial and error?

I fasted every other day this past week so my week looked like this:

Fast Sunday 6pm-Monday 6pm
Fast Tuesday 6pm- Wednesday 6pm
Fast Thursday 6pm-Friday 6pm.

I know with ESE he says 1-2 times a week for fasting. Do you think this is too much to d it every other day? I feel fine so far doing it. And I was going to fast today (well Saturday from 8pm to tomorrow morning)

Also got some good walks in and just weights at home. No real loss this week yet.
Proatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #175  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I did well on the race, I'm coming back from a long layoff and I was about 90 seconds faster than I expected. It was a 10K so fueling isnt super critical. My energy level was perfect though, I felt like I had the right amount of fuel, but my gut felt heavy and in a couple spots at the tops of hills I felt sick. I may try a protein shake with fruit next time instead of toast and almond butter.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #176  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Got way off track with the IF over the last few months. It has been really difficult to get back to it. I thought I'd try to get back on track with a good old-fashioned 40-hour fast today. Started last night at 8 and I plan to go until tomorrow noon, then break with my regular old 8-hour eating window, get back into the IF groove and keep calories at my RMR minus 500. That's just for this week. Next week I start the Venus Index competition (12 weeks) so I think I'll try to do two 40-hour fasts a week. We'll see how this one goes.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #177  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Good luck! I'm restarting again today. I seem to always get off to a good start and then TOM hits and I get off track because I'm ravenous during that time.
I always thought it'd be easy to get back on track with IF, but I've struggled this last year. I guess the best way is to never get off track.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #178  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

between the race and my daughters birthday this weekend was farther off the mark than most of the holidays. Blerrrrrgh.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #179  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I got to 36 hours with my fast, but I lost two pounds! It was rough toward the end (that's why I cut it off shorter than the 40 hours I had planned). Didn't sleep welll at all during the fast. But recovery was good, so I'm trying a second fast now.

If that works, it'll be great! Because I've always struggled with getting daily calories lower, but the fasting doesn't seem so hard. Doing two 36-hour fasts a week means I can eat well four days a week and not stress so much over the calories every day.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #180  

S/C/G: 211/199/147

Height: 5ft 2inch

Question new to IF-any advice appreciated

HI,
have never joined a forum before, so forgive me if im butting in here!
i am nearing 47, weigh 15 stone- 210 lbs and aim to lose about 4 stone-56 lbs.
have done the usual yoyo dieting since my mid twenties and have always ended up weighing a bit more.

have read a bit about IF, but not great deal. begrudge buying a book about how not to eat!!! anyhow. I am planning to do two 20-26 hr fasts a week, but always eating something each day- eg breakfast on day 1, then nothing till lunch on day 2- or should i start with breakfast on day 2? is that what most of you do?

Im looking to be able to keep this up for a considerable period of time- as i have so much to lose, but wondered if anyone here has managed to keep it any if so, if you have any tips?

also i only plan to weigh myself once a fortnight, and i dont plan to changs what i eat on my none fast days-as the whole point for me is to not become obsessed with what i can or cant eat.

thanks for reading. will post again soon.
Moozie ( lover of cows, but not in the physical sense!!!)
Moozie is offline   Reply With Quote