Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #44

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the Hearland in the 50's. Looks like we are in for some showers this day which is welcomed for sure. Looks like we will be having pork chops for dinner for our guest just brought in a package of them and placed them on the counter. Then was gone in a flash. I will make some mashed taters and gravy and biscuits to go with it & a veggie & a nice salad. I can count my points and be a good eater for I can have mostly salad and just a tad bit of the other stuff. He is going to record an interview for his radio show of Will today in regards to some western history which should be interesting for listeners here in Hays and round about. I am doing a no~no right now. I have my bamboo bowl of Blackend Chcken Alfredo, which is a TV dinner type meal by Schwans (one of the "Live Smart" individual dinners they offer), eating it here with my chop sticks in my office while typing this. I have a rule for myself not to eat in here and I am breaking it now. I am home alone and didn't want to eat out there in the kitchen. I am good with a pair of chop sticks and don't slop it around or get it on my computer keys.

DONNA FAYE I also make lists. It sure saves on agervation later when you slap your forhead and say to yourself that you should brought it along. We have those hanging LL Bean bags that hold toothpaste etc. We just keep them loaded for the next trip. Then I always go through them to make sure we didn't take anything out to use it while at home. Those are the times I don't take my electric toothbrush. We often stay where there are no "hook-ups" so have to do things differently than at home for sure. I remember the time that my brother and his wife went camping with us. She was whining in the morning because there were no hookups and so how was she to make the toast which was her job to do for breakfast. We showed her how to make it over an open fire and she loved it. Wanted to learn more and was constantly picking our brains. We could have always made it with the Coleman stove but we didn't want fried toast, we wanted toasted toast. We had the neatest little camping oven that can be used on a bruner of a camp stove. I'll have to see if I can find another one of those . . . We would be set for primitive camping that way. Have the Coleman camp stove now the grill and a oven would be the ticket.

JEAN I hope it doesn't rain and dampen your fun at the fair. What will you be making at the craft club? I went to one once and learned how to make little 3 inch tall teddy bears with moving arms and legs. I still have mine and it is sitting on the hood of a toy yellow jeep up on my shelf above my desk. It is so cute, make of brown fuzzy velvet type material. I sewed a tiny little red heart on his paw. I think I may still have one cut out ready to sew up and stuff. Reminds me I should dig it out and finish it up. It is really cute, looks just like a brown bear should.

Howdy SUSAN & GAIL I hope all is going well for you this beautiful day.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #2  

Maggie -- It hasn't warmed up much here and the clouds rolled in late this afternoon. It was cool at the fair and there weren't alot of people there so no waiting in line for anything. We did sit in on a free show of a men's quartet that sang old hymns and gospel music. The recognized the veterans and had them stand which I thought was special. We don't make anything while at crafty club -- the gals bring things they have made, a book review, pictures, whatever interesting thing they might have to share. One gal cut the long sleeve from a man's shirt, left the cuff and buttons on, sewed a square piece of fabric for the bottom, and a strap on the cuff end. The one she saw in an AZ craft store was $10; you take a bottle of wine, or whatever, as a gift in it. Another idea was to put an umbrella in it or hang it on a doorknob with silk flowers in it. Your teddy bear sounds cute. Guess I will go read for awhile before I head off to bed.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy and a chilly 44 degrees in my corner of the world this morning. We did get enough rain drops to make everything wet before I got up this morning. I took my bp cuff into the doctor's office this morning to have it checked, and it read the same as their's. Bob didn't think it was working right -- I don't think he knew what he was doing! I have a pot of chili on the stove and now need to attack the fur bunnies that are running around here. Ernie is curled up in a tight little ball like he is cold. If he only remembered how cold it will get this winter!

I need to put together a salad to go with my chili so better get a move on. Have a fantastic Friday and enjoy your day!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the land this day. We are slated for a few showers. Hope we get more than a few for it was said we would get showers yesterday and just got a few spits. We need rain. I slept in this day because it was very difficult to get to sleep last night. Earlier while in the middle of cooking dinner last evening I started getting a migraine . Usually I go right then and take my Vanquish and lay down in a dark room for half hour then I am good to go without any pain whatsoever. Well I didn’t just quit making dinner at that point and so when I could see again I got some pain and my head wouldn’t settle down to sleep. The pain is gone today for which I am thankful for. They are sure making some trick things for us camper type folks. I was looking at ovens and found an oven with burners on top for camping. I would rather not have them connected for I don’t use the oven as often as I use the camp stove. So they make a separate collapsible oven that you can heat by setting it on a burner on your camp stove. The oven is large enough to hold a muffin tin that makes 6. I like the fact that this oven folds flat. Looks like that they have improved it since I had one years back which worked great and kept a true temp for baking. I will round up some baking pans that will fit in it. They make more things to use for baking in camping ovens than they did when I had mine but I found as many small items to use in it then as I needed. It will be fun to find things in my cupboard that will work with it. We do have some different sized Dutch ovens which are great for baking things in over coals but sometimes we camp where you aren’t allowed to make a fire on the ground. Biscuits baked in a Dutch oven over coals are sooooo good. Before we go out and about we plan our meals and buy supplies that we will need. I have my little camping recipe booklet I made up and we are set. It is fun to replace some of the things we got rid of when we moved into that motor-home. We didn’t need to lug all the camping gear around since we had a kitchen right there with us. But now we only get the things that we know we will use. I tried to do that last time but folks gave us some stuff and you know how that goes. “I might just use that sometime.” We got rid of some stuff “out there.” Made some dumpster divers happy. My camp kitchen will consist of just what I need and I’ll use what is necessary. We need an overhead rack for the Jeep to carry all our camp gear. If we put it overhead like that we will be more conscious of what we lug along. Guess it all depends on if we pull a tent trailer or primitive camp. I know one thing we won’t be taking and that is the dogs. Don’t want them to end up being bear meat. They would want to play and Mr.Bear doesn’t know “play.”

JEAN It is cooler here also and almost sweater weather. I can see winter approaching. Sounds like you had a nice time at the fair especially when you didn’t have a big crowd to tend with milling all about. I got a chuckle about your kitty cat. I want a Manx kitten and Will just shakes his head. Maybe if I tell him that is what I want for my Birthday and if that doesn’t work I could ask for it for my Christmas present. Oh I see your craft thingie is a show and tell deal. That sleeve sounds like it with a slit in the bottom would be good also to stuff plastic bags from the grocer in. What a novel idea she had. Sounds like a fun group to belong to. I don't take my BP at home. Chili sounds good on a day like this for sure. I know I don't have any in the freezer but do have some delicious soup I could heat up. Will just got in from doing some errands and brought me in a ger-prize. A brand new electric toothbrush called a Spinbrush with two moving heads. I expected him to bring new brushes for my old one. I will take it in and get it charged up and use it tonight.

All other Magnolias - Howdy to you this day. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-16-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #5  

Ernie and I just got up from our nap in front of the tv. My legs were asleep and I guess he got hot because he jumped off my lap and woke me up.

Maggie -- Sorry about your migraine last night. When are you going camping with all of your new camping "toys?" Bob is hoping to plow his field tomorrow. The weatherman says it will be sunny and warmer. I guess our breezy/windy days are back again. Enjoy your new toothbrush tonight! I'm going to watch the 10:00 news then head off to bed and read for awhile.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD LATE NIGHT MAGNOLIAS

JEAN I am not exactly sure when we are going to go on vacation. We are just in the process of gathering up the necessary things to take camping so when we go we will have what we need. We got rid of all our camping gear and now have to replace it and can't afford to do it all at once. I am going to play a game of spider solitare and then go to bed. By then it will be time to cut some zzzzz's.

Type at y'all later.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy and "cold" again this morning, but since I'm walking and talking under my own power I won't complain about the weather. I won't, I won't, I won't! I couldn't get to sleep last night so feel like I'm dragging around this morning -- no ambition to be found. Bob just left to plow a field and I have a kitchen that looks like a tornado went through.

Maggie -- I think I have spider solitaire as one of my choices on my game site. I'll have to give it a try. I usually play Klondike, Golf, or Pyramid solitaire. I was in bed when you posted but tossing and turning well into the wee hours of the morning.

I need to put a load of towels in the washer and pick up my kitchen! Have a super Saturday and enjoy your day!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Sunny Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 70 degrees in the Heartland with 68 percent humidity. All is well and I have been putzing all day. I decided to pull things out of my pots and pans cupboard and see what I had hidden back behind the things I use daily. I did find a surprise that I didn't think we had anymore back there. It is a small burner sized square cast iron flat ridged grill and has a press that is ridged to go along with it to make great paninis with out electricty but using on a camp stove or outside grill. The grill does filp to have a smooth side up also. While heating the grill you heat the press on the other burner and then presto you have top and bottom to press a sandwich in between. I used that a lot in our motorhome. Since the stove top oven I am going to get will accommodate things that are 10 inches that limits what I will take along to bake in. I do have a small cookie sheet that fits and some other things such as a square 8 inch pan and bread pan and a small 6 inch spring form pan and an 8 inch pie pan and 6 hole muffin pan. All of those can be used for baking what ever I want to bake. Iwon't need to buy anymore baking pans except the one I found on a web site that has children sized goods. There is a perfect sized pan that has small sides on it with a grate that goes in it that will work fine in that small oven. I am glad that I did save some utensils that we used with the small oven we had also. You would be surprised to know that it is so hard to find things that will work in such a small oven. You want to have air all around the container and so they have to be smaller than the 10 inches. Anyway it is fun to gather it all together to see what I have and to find out I won't have a lot to purchase.

JEAN I didn't get to sleep until about 3 am myself last night. I never sleep well after I have had a migrain because my mind won't settle down and rest. Just wants to think about this and that. It still hasn't really settled down but I sure hope it does by night time for I will need a good nights sleep for tomorrow is Sunday and I can't sleep in. I think you would like playing spider solitare so give it a try. If you look over the hand you get and don't like it ~ it doesn't count against your score to dump it and load a different hand. Last night I won 6 games in a row.

Have a great afternoon Magnolias. Type at y'all later.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #9  

Maggie -- Your little stove looks cute; it's almost doll house size. I just made my last trip downstairs, for a drink of cold water, and noticed it has started to rain which the weatherman said would happen. The sun is supposed to show its face tomorrow afternoon. I hope both of us get a good nights sleep tonight! I did check and I don't have spider solitaire so will do a search when I have the time. I'm heading off to bed.

Gail -- What are you doing this weekend?

Susan -- Hope you are enjoying your retreat!

"Gma" -- I trust you and Jack are enjoying Branson tonight!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been another gloomy day in my neighborhood, but it is a tad bit warmer. The sun is supposed to shine this afternoon and I'm impatiently waiting. I went to early church and "greeted" -- it's always nice to say hello to people I don't get to talk to very often. An 80+ year old man and his wife both thanked me for his birthday card this past week. I came home full of ambition to make a mostaccioli casserole only to discover I didn't have the right kind of noodles after I had the meat browned and simmering with the sauce. After we ate leftover chili I went to get the pasta. I decided I will share with a former co-worker who has been in the hospital with an infected gallbladder and then pneumonia. I want to try a frosted pumpkin cookie recipe (box mix) later after I'm done here. If they turn out I will share those too.

I don't think the pixies are going to do my dishes so I'd better get them done before the next round of baking. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Moody Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is going to get up into the 80's again this day in the Heartland so I guess summer is still with us. Fall weather will surely get here soon. The dogs are off to the groomer for a bath and here I sit. I did show a "maintain" at weigh in this day so I will watch it closely this week so it doesn't become a streak of them. Need to go down down down. I have been having fun going through all my spices of which I have a lot and tossing the ones that are absolutely too old which aren't used a lot. If I need them for a recipe I will buy new but not until then. I saved all the little plastic containers and soaked off the labels and put the spices in them that we plan on using while camping. Ones that are used almost daily ~ just a few like the ones to season meats for grilling and ones used in eggs when scrambeling. That sort of thing. It is nice to have them all in a group to round up easily when we do go out and about. Meanwhile I can be using them and refilling them as needed. If I do any baking "out there" it will be from pre packaged things such as muffins. I do like having my ducks in a row so to speak. Before we go "out and about" I always make up a menu of what we will be eating and round up the necessary ingredients. That way I don't pack "un-necessary" extra stuff along. Works for me. Today I need to mix up a batch of Mexican Seasoning Blend for I notice I am just about out. Here is the recipe if anyone wants it:

MEXICAN SEASONING BLEND
Mix all together and place in a container that seals tight.
1/2 cup chili powder
1/4 cup paprika
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 ts garlic powder
1 tsp red pepper
Makes @ 1 Cup
If you want to add salt (which I leave out)
1/2 tsp salt

JEAN Your casserole sounds yummy. Yep have to have the right shape noodles for that dish. Otherwise it doesn't really matter what you use in most recipes. That camp oven will accommodate bake pans 10 inches or smaller. Did I mention that it folds down to a smaller size and fits in a cary case. I can bake anything in it that I can here at home in the oven ~ just have to make a smaller size. The rack adjusts to three different positions. When I get it I will play around with it here at home and have some fun baking some things in it.

All y'all have a lovely Monday. It is the beginning of a new work week.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a nice sunny 75 degree day in my corner of the world . . . finally! I had a challenge trying to balance at church this morning. After checking the computer, the envelopes, and the adding machine tape 3 different times I found where I had entered $1.00 instead of $10.00. *sigh* I need to run a couple errands, bake my casserole, and maybe do the gift shop deposit this afternoon. I have card club tonight and the dentist just called to come in tomorrow morning for my first bridge work appointment.

Maggie -- on maintaining this week. It is important to be able to do that as well as lose. What do you put the Mexican seasoning on? You have more "fun" cooking than anyone I know!

I do need to get a move on and accomplish something this afternoon. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 09-19-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup today and froze some of it and have some in the fridge to have some more tomorrow. I also tried out a new recipe that was a real good which I will post below. I will definitely make them again.

MEATBALL BUBBLE BISCUITS

INGREDIENTS:
1 can (12 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® Jr. Golden Layers® refrigerated buttermilk or flaky biscuits
10 frozen cooked Italian-style meatballs (about 5 oz), thawed, each cut in half
2 sticks (1 oz each) string cheese, each cut into 10 pieces
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup marinara sauce, heated

DIRECTIONS:
• Heat oven to 375°F. Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Separate each biscuit into 2 layers. Press each biscuit layer into 3-inch round.
• Place 1 meatball half, cut side up, and 1 string cheese piece in center of each dough round. Wrap dough around meatball and cheese, pressing edges to seal. In ungreased 8- or 9-inch round cake pan, place seam side down in single layer. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
• Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and biscuits are no longer doughy in center. Serve warm biscuits with warm marinara sauce for dipping
3 POINTS+ each

JEAN I use that Mexican seasoning on things like mac and cheese, baked potatoes, grilled sandwiches, different soups, scrambled eggs and on boiled eggs, just to name a few things. Glad you finally found out it was just a typo with the money count. Hope all goes well at the dentist tomorrow.

Everyone have a nice sleep this night. Type at y'all later.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a sunny 65 degrees with a slight breeze in my corner of the world this morning. The dentist appt. was for 45 min., but I was in and out in less than a half hour. She took impressions just like with a crown. I stopped at the store on the way home for salad stuff and now have laundry going. I'm meeting with the former treasurer to finish up paying a couple bills and balancing the books with the bank after lunch. I should donate blood after that but will see if there is a waiting line.

Maggie -- Thanks for sharing the recipe -- I love the Grands biscuits! We used to be able to get 4 in a smaller container, and I bought them often, but not any more. I did buy 4 crescent rolls the other day.

Gail and Susan -- What are you up to today? We have missed you!

My dryer should be buzzing soon so I need to change loads. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is said to be a beautiful day here in the Heartland in the high 70's. I can dig it. I function so much better in cool weather. The day is fast approaching when I can order that camp oven for I will get it with my allowance. Will bought a set of the red speckled enamel dinner wear to put with our camping gear. It is a set for 4 but I will only take two sets and all the mugs for the extras will be great for soups and broth or cereal. I find it amusing we are filling up our tent trailer with goodies before we get the trailer. But since we had one before we kinda know what will fit in there nicely. Just the basics is my motto. I have my eye on a small set of pots from Cabellas that are stainless which will be what we need. I am not taking any of my pots from the house because they are very heavy, very heavy indeed. I will buy all the condiment things such as soy sauce, worchestershire sauce and sandwich spreads in small containers. Small is the key for it cuts down on weight. I have been toying with the thought of buying small plastic containers and transfer the items out of my source here in the fridge. But it would sure be easier to just buy small sizes. You can tell I am now on a quest to get all our "get away" things rounded up for when the day comes we will be ready. I like having all my ducks so to speak in a row. Will kinda knows what is on my list and that is why when he was out and about found that dinner set and called me to see if that would do. I put it all in the dishwasher and now it is packed away with the other things. He also brought home a bright red plastic egg carrier. I found a source where I can purchase the enameled speckled dish basin, pitcher and collander I want. I like that ware for it is lite and easy to clean plus you can put it on the fire. The big pitcher is great for heating water in for doing dishes and taking a possible bath. My mother had one of those big pitchers and made iced tea for a crowd in it during the holidays. She had that for as long as I can remember which tells me they have been making them for a long, long time. Anyway I was happy to find those things on a web site. I got a kick out of a "back packers" list of items to take along on an extended hikeing trip. It had so many items listed that I don't know how heavy that back pack would be for they were items we are going to put in the tent trailer. Interesting. But they would be only packing for one but that particular list didn't even list first aid things or sleeping bags and such. They have trick little back pack stoves and such nowdays which are lite weight and effecient. Plus little containers you can put your food items in. Ah, life is good.

JEAN Isn't it nice when you can get in and out of the dentist office so quickly. Hope they do a wonderful job on your bridge work. I don't normally buy those biscuits but they sure did work well in that recipe. I am thinking of making them for a pot-luck in the future. In fact they would be good to eat with a tossed green salad for a meal. Like I said - the guys sure liked them. I think for lunch we will have some of that yummy soup and a couple of the biscuit thingies. I don't have a clue yet what I am going to make for dinner. I didn't know that they let folks that take BP meds donate blood. They told me years ago that was the case but things change don't they. I think donating blood is a worthy to be commended thing.

SUSAN & GAIL We do miss you! Also we miss DONNA FAYE but we know she is on vacation.

Hope everyone is having a lovely day. Type at y'all later.