Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #1  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

Default Defeating the Last 10lbs

Anyone else in the same camp as me? I've lost about 20 lbs, but am losing my motivation to do the last 10. For a couple days I felt like I had already made it, with the 20 down, but I have to get serious. I don't mean to stop here. These last 10 are going to be defeated. Any tips for staying focused?
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #2  
Vegalitarian

I found these tips pretty inspiring...

1. The Power of the Mind

One critical thing when trying for the last 10 pounds to lose is the power of the mind. First of all, don’t “try” to lose the last 10 pounds, but rather do it. Know that it is going to happen and expect it to happen. Simple enough to say, but it is true. When we get to the last 10 pounds to lose, we begin to coast and ease up on our training and commitment, but I’m telling you to do exactly the opposite. This is the time to push forward and pick up speed, and be every more diligent in your choices. You must know in your mind that the last 10 pounds to lose is the easiest part of the journey. Use the power of your mind to visualize success and yourself not only standing at the finish line having successfully achieved your goal, but even more so than that.. Visualize yourself picking up speed and running through the finish line. Your motto should be “there is nothing more powerful than a warrior running through the finish line”. Be a fat burning warrior.

3. Clean up your diet

How many names are listed on the ingredients? The lower the number of items listed, the better it is for you. An apple is better than Kellog’s morning cereal. Chicken breast is much better than lean cuisine which has some sauces and items that are hard to pronounce.

Can you remove condiments from your diet for a short period of time? Eliminate ketchup (which I call tomato flavoured sugar), eliminate mayonnaise, get rid of salad dressings. Eliminate soy sauce from your rice. If youre eating nuts and seeds, eliminate them for a short time to make your diet as plain as possible.

Read more: 10 Pounds to Lose - The Last 10 Pounds Are Easy http://www.formerfatguy.com/articles...#ixzz1Xy8bN84j
Old 09-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #3  
Vegalitarian

Anyone?

Ugh. I fear I might actually be going through a plateau, which is making this most difficult. For the past month and a half, my weight has been stuck between the same few pounds. I can't know for certain if it's a plateau, because it seems every few days I have an 'off' day ever since school started... but that shouldn't negate everything, should it? I ate 1,000-1,200 for a week and lost a little, but then I went back to 1,500 and my weight is up again and stuck as ever... argh. I don't really know what to do.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #4  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm here! In the middle of the last 10, and wow--- what a battle. Especially given weight swings are so much more noticeable as I've gotten smaller. 134 one day, 138 the next day--- that's half of what's left to get off, dammit! Wasn't such a big deal when there were dozens of pounds left, but a little water retention can make one feel like the end of the world is nigh when we're down to the final pounds.

Thanks for posting the tips you've found. I agree that pushing forward mentally, and not treating this as an impossible struggle is key for me. I also have to REALLY STICK TO THE PLAN. All the time. No occasional butterscotch candies. No extra sip of wine. No extra handful of almonds at night.

This is all temporary, but it is a daily vigil. When my alarm goes off at 5am to go running, there's no room for the snooze button....for a few weeks at least.

Have you played some with calories? I stick to around 1600-1800 a day, and have been losing fairly steadily, until a few weeks ago. The wild swings I mentioned are more due to a few cocktail parties and other unexpected splurges, which I know I have to get under control unless I want to remain in maintenance.
I'm thinking of going to 1500 and seeing how things go. I've also added more strength training (kettlebells) into my routine. I LOVE cardio, but weight training is gonna burn more calories at rest, so I'd better get serious about that part, too.

We're in it together!
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #5  
Vegalitarian

Hi Tapas! Fluctuations are really frustrating. Maybe that's all I've been experiencing... It's so hard to know! I guess the best thing is to not take it seriously. I'm sure as long as you're sticking to your plan, the general trend will be downward.

I did switch up my calories for about a week, but now I find it so hard to eat so fewer. Maybe I'll get back in the swing of it. My body just seems to have adjusted to eating 1,500 a day... maybe that's what my problem is. I've also been more lax with exercise... School starting up was kind of hectic for me, but there's no reason I can't start up again now. I love weight lifting too. I just have to fit it in.

That's awesome you're able to keep your vigil. I've been struggling so much with this. I have to somehow mentally recharge. I don't know if I should take some time off, and risk falling off the wagon completely. I seem to have settled into the most monotonous routine imaginable. Even my food choices are extremely boring. Maybe just taking some time to change everything would be helpful for me to pick up again.

These are tips for getting through a plateau, but might be helpful for anyone trying to wiggle those last 10 pounds off.

General
Take a holiday
Go to bed earlier
Get up later
Go camping
Go bushwalking
Change your exercise
Energy intake

Try new foods
Change your eating patterns
Try different drinks
Go low carb (for a while)