Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 11:55 AM   #31  

Hi Ladies,

I hadn't walked over the weekend for various reasons, so I decided I had better do a good job this morning and I went 2.5 miles on the treadmill, the furthest I've ever walked in one session (slowly working my way up to 3 miles). Well when I went to post it on the exercise challenge board for my Valentine's day challenge of 50 miles, I discovered they had closed the thread!
So if no one minds I will continue it here until Valentine"s day.

MY GOAL IS TO WALK 50 MILES BY VALENTINE'S DAY - AT LEAST 0NE MILE A DAY - I STARTED ON 12/31/02.

2/3/03 2.50 Miles in 58 minutes - A TOTAL OF 48 & 8/10'S MILES TO DATE.
2/5/03 1.20 miles in 32.20 minutes - Having more trouble with back and hip, so am slowing down a bit. Some walking is good no matter what the problem.
2/7/03 1.60 miles in 41.33 minutes - kept it at a slower pace today. I will try to walk at least 40 minutes, without worrying about speed.

Last weekend was the longest I had gone without getting on the treadmill - 3 days in a row - up until then I had only missed about 3 or 4 days, scattered throughout the month, missing only one day at a time. So it was very important that I got right back on this morning, before missing became a habit!

Good job Cat with the loss. Just keep at it and don't give up. You are doing great with every good choice you make. Forget about the bad ones but just keep trying to make more good ones. One meal at a time, one choice at a time! That is all any of us can do. It's a constant challenge.

Cat I understand your problem with the snoring, but in our house I am the problem However, my husband tells me losing weight has made a big difference! That view sounds awesome and well worth getting up early for.

Good job with the diet Meg, Just keep doing what you are doing and try not to get stressed about your job. Prehaps it would help to do a little research on your situation. ONLY FOR YOUR OWN INFORMATION. Try and find out what other people in other companies are being paid for the same job description, and whether there are many jobs in that field existing in your area. The want ads might help with that information. Why the company cut your salary. If they did it with all employees it may have been an effort to save the company from going under. If that is so, is this just a problem with your company or are all simuliar companies in your area having the same problem. (The answers to these questions would tell you whether it would be worth while looking for a simular job with another company) I think you said early on that at one point you had almost no work to do and kept expecting to get laid off. If I am remembering right, could the pay cut have been an effort to avoid laying you off.

Then on a personal basis, answer the following questions ONLY TO YOURSELF - is this the only field you are trained for or could you look for a job in another field? How important is the salary to your family lifestyle. Of course you would have the unemployment for a while, but if you don't find another job in that time, would you still be okay? Have you ever talked to your employer openly about the situation. Of course in expressing your dissatisfaction, you would have to be prepared to lose your job, because they might not take it well! especially if they were trying to keep from laying you off, so I am not suggesting you do this! This is not advice, only some suggestions for assessing your situation before you do anything. And I pray you don't lose your job until YOU ARE READY. It may not be a good idea to lie to your employer, because it might hurt you in your next job. Couldn't you just tell them you have an appointment, without telling them who with? You have probably already thought of all these things, and I am certainly no expert on the work force, having not held a job with an employer since I started my family. Good luck to you Meg with your job search!

Hi to Karie, hope you are having a good road trip. And hi to Dahlia, Pam and anyone else I missed. Good luck to everyone for an op day

Last edited by Grandma G; 02-07-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:44 PM   #32  
Gym'll fix it!!

Yaaayy! for Grandma..you are hot on my heels i used the user program on my treadmill today for a change and boy does it ever shake things up..my face was like a little tomato when i'd finished i start off at 0% incline at a speed of 3mph then every minute the speed and incline increase until i'm at a 15% incline and then i come down again that one sure burns the calories!
Meg CONGRATULATIONS on reaching the 170's
Old 02-05-2003, 09:10 AM   #33  
Ginny

Hey ladies,

I can't believe no one has posted since Monday morning. I wrote a long post last night but then my computer was so slow it wouldn't submit it.. so I just closed it out and it never posted.
Anyway, I am doing good, the scale is not moving, but I have decided not to weigh in again until the end of the month. I started a simple exercise routine this morning, I need to work up to more gradually. I have to be real careful with my back, especially with going back to work in 2 weeks. I need to stretch out my muscles slowly, I do a lot of bending at work.

I was reading an article in a magazine the other day about a poll asking women if they would give up one year of their lives to be skinnier, and 67% said NO... life was to precious.. and another guestion was would you give up an hour of sleep each day to be thinner.. that was more receptive...and then another article said that part of a good diet regime was to be sure to get enough sleep.. that we need from 7-8 hrs. a day to be well-rested.. and another said we don't need to drink as much water as stated before cause we get alot from the foods we eat, and another said we should drink our 8 glasses of water plus one for every other thing we drink... boy isn't this fun? :lol

So with that thought I will go to work now, am busy in the office again today. Hope someone posts soon so I"ll have something to read later today... hope all is well with everyone and you are just busy...

Dahlia
Old 02-05-2003, 09:48 AM   #34  

Hi Ladies,

Where is everyone? Are you back yet Karie? How was the trip? Hope everything went well.

Did anyone else get the last storm we did? The last two days have been pretty bad here. It warmed up for a while but we got a mixture of ice, rain and snow with high winds. Pretty wild last night but calmed down now and the temperature is going down. We are back down to about 12 F. and they are promising it will go back below 0, The good old north country! You just have to love it to live here.

I am still exercising, but like you Dahlia I have to be very careful with my back. Because of that I have had to slow down a bit. Every time I try to increase speed and distance I start having some problems, but I know the exercise is good for me. I just have to increase more slowly. The increase in speed seems to cause the most problems. Maybe if I stay at a slow speed but keep increasing the distance, I will get there eventually without problems!. I only did 1.2 miles this morning. That brings me to my 50 mile Valentine's day goal. But my real goal is to make myself more physically fit! and to do exercise every day!

I will never catch you Cat - But I wont stop trying! You are doing so fantastic, you are my inspiration - Keep up the good work!:

Hi to Pam, Lisa, and anyone else I missed - Good luck to everyone for an op day
Old 02-05-2003, 10:45 AM   #35  

Grandma G - Congrats on meeting your V-day goal!!!

I am at a solid 179/179.5. I have weighed in that for several days in a row, so I am a believer.

Things have been going well. The place I interviewed last week called again, and they want me to go back. I also got a call from another company as well, so hopefully I will get an offer from one of them.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying warm. This winter in Chicago is REALLY cold!

Meg
Old 02-05-2003, 11:55 AM   #36  
Gym'll fix it!!

Morning Ladies...i was going to post last night but seeing as i was the last one that had posted i thought "what's the point in talking to yourself?" i took my measurements this morning and i've lost 1" from my Bust..2" from my waist..2" from my abdomen..and 1" from my thighs
Grandma.. on meeting your V-day challenge and don't worry about the speed..it's your endurance that counts i read that you don't burn any calories for the first 20 minutes of exercise i don't know if that is true or not..its like the water..i saw an article last week that you should drink a glass for every pound that you weigh i think i saw that on Entertainment Tonight or one of those programs..apparently that is what a lot of film stars do..they can keep doing it i'm up all night peeing now and i don't drink near enough water Meg..I'll keep my fingers crossed for a job offer Well..my wifely duties await so griddle hear i come he must be thinking i'm on strike!
Bacon..Eggs..Tomatoes...Mushrooms and Toast
You would think he would get sick of it 6 day's a week..would'nt you? i wonder what he has for a change on Saturday mornings at the restaurant

Last edited by cat90; 02-05-2003 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:07 AM   #37  

I weighed in this morning at 178!!!! I actually have broken 180! I NEVER thought that would be possible. It seems I have found a program that works for me. It is about time.....

Anyway, I have a second interview today at the company I got in trouble for last week. Everyone, please focus good thoughts my way - I REALLY need to get out of where I am at!!!!!!

Talk to you soon!
Old 02-06-2003, 12:02 PM   #38  
Woman on a Mission

WHOO Meg!!! Awesome news and many congratulations to you! Good luck and hugs coming your way for your interview. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Pam
Old 02-06-2003, 11:02 PM   #39  
Gym'll fix it!!

I'm in late today..been really busy..i'm shattered thought there would have been more to read but "oh well"

Meg..Congrats on the loss and the new job i'm thinking positive for you

Pam i just got your email you look fantastic i'm so proud of you for sticking with the program so well when i join you i'll have to make sure i stay with you this time..no more yo-yoing for me

I got up at 5.30am this morning..cleaned all the kitchen then got the pressure washer out and proceeded to wash all the gutters.. soffit..and deck and there is a lot of deck then i went to the mall had to pick up a prescription for hubby..i could'nt believe it when she asked me for $250 when i got home i still jumped on my treadmill at 5pm i'm determined not to miss a workout...unless i'm on my deathbed
Old 02-06-2003, 11:15 PM   #40  
Woman on a Mission

Good Lord Cathy, you go girl. I bet you that you sleep well tonight. I need half of your energy and I'd be set

Thanks for the encouragement. If any of you are interested I have so new pics scanned in. I tried to upload it here but it wouldn't go. If you're interested in seeing my before/after photo, send me a private message with your email address and I'd be happy to send it along.

Had a not so bad day today although I did cave into Wendy's fries. I had a light supper though and ended the day two points over so all in all it could have been alot worse.

I've been working like a fiend this week to get my assignment off for marking so that's why I've been on the quiet side. It's off now so I can play

Am going to see my friends from college this weekend. My one friend just received news today that her Mom's cancer has come back so say a prayer for Mary when you're talking to the Guy Upstairs. This time it's in her bladder/kidneys. She battled lung cancer but after a two year remission that blasted disease has come back.

Meg, how did your job interview go today? I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear from you!

Dahlia, how are you doing? I like the sound of resolve in your voice for the upcoming spring. Like Grandma G says, it's a live-it not a diet and small changes will reap rewards over the long run. How is your son doing these days? I hope he is well on the road to recovery. It must almost be time to start getting ready in the Greenhouse eh?

Grandma G, your treadmill work is amazing and I'm quite in awe of you and Cathy. Have you been doing any more commissions for your artwork? Any shows coming up?

I've heard from Karie and she's well just busy with work right now.

Have a wonderful evening, hi to all I've missed and I'll check back on Sunday when I return from Camrose.

Pam
Old 02-07-2003, 09:36 AM   #41  
Woman on a Mission

Good morning all,

My friend Milena set me up on her Picture Trail album so here's the link if you want to take a look

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...670&uid=880625
Old 02-07-2003, 10:04 AM   #42  

Hi Ladies,

CONGRATULATIONS MEG, We all knew you could do it! Sometimes it takes a while to find the right program for each of us, but it looks like you have found yours. Keep up the good work! I hope your job interview went well.

I just got off the treadmill and I walked for 41.33 minutes for a total of 1.6 miles. I have decided to try and walk at least 30 min. a day at a comfortable pace and not worry about increasing speed. I will slowly increase my time on the treadmill, and hopefully get benefit that way. I don't have the physical ability to work out at a pace to really affect a weight loss, but I will get benefits from it anyway with toning and better circulation, and hopefully lower cholestoral. I know it is important that I do it no matter what the results!

Cat you are amazing. You are my inspiration, keep up the good work! WHAT ENERGY.

Pam, You are doing so well, you too are my inspiration - I can just imagine how wounderful you look. I had the scales move this morning. FINALLY Down one more pound - a little progress - I was beginning to think it was stuck! All that cheating during the holidays wasn't worth it. It really set me back on my program! NEVER AGAIN!

Pam, I was so sorry to hear about your friends mother. I will keep her in my prayers. I know how terrible cancer can be. My dil lost her mother last summer to cancer. My sil just came home from the hospital yesterday after having triple by-pass surgery for her heart, and we just got word that her husband was taken to the hospital during the night with chest pain. He also has a history of by-pass surgery. So please keep them both in your prayers.

Yes Pam, we have a juried show opening on Tuesday night. Both my dh and I were accepted. Mine are two oil paintings from my Historical Home Series and his are two photographs. I just finished writing out the labels for the show. I write them out by hand and it's a big show - 114 pieces. I have a couple of commissions to finish up, but I am not taking any new ones right now.

Hi to Karie, Dahlia and anyone else I missed - Good luck to everyone for an op day
Old 02-07-2003, 12:33 PM   #43  

Pam- OH MY GOODNESS! Those photos are AMAZING!!!! You are such an inspiration to all of us. You show that it really can happen to real people. You give me so much hope!

Grandma G- I think your treadmill plan sounds like a great one. Don't push the speed, but increase the time. It makes perfect sense to me.

Well, the job interview went so well they asked me back AGAIN. I asked for a vacation day, and hopefully I will be able to schedule multiple interviews at that company for the same day. I also have to sign a form that allows them to do a background check - okay, that is a little scary!!!!

I weigh in everyday, and today I am another 1/2 lb. down - to 177.5. I know I will fluctuate up and down, but I just want to die I am so excited. My boss even commented on my weight loss yesterday. And the clothes I bought from Target at xmas are now looking really big - especially the shirts. I am wearing the size 12 pants again because I am so excited!!!!!

Hope everyone is having an OP day!

Meg
Old 02-07-2003, 01:33 PM   #44  
Gym'll fix it!!

Pam your pictures are really big when you said in your email about taking a look i scrolled down the screen and your's and hubby's heads filled the whole screen i had to scroll down bit by bit to see your NEW BODY hope you have a great time with your college friends have they seen the new you? or is it a surprise? they will be blown away if they have'nt..you might have to nudge them and say "Hey! its me..Pam"
Meg..congrats AGAIN on the weightloss
Grandma..congrats on the weightloss to you too any exercise is good...you don't need to run a marathon to get results
Well..hubby is waiting patiently for brekky while he watches Jerry Springer so i'd better move
Old 02-09-2003, 10:28 AM   #45  
Ginny

Good morning ladies,,
where is everyone, no one has posted since the 7th... hope you are all just busy, but I miss reading your posts. So come on, ladies,, take a minute to check in and let us know how you are doing....

Today the sun is shining but it is only 10 degrees F. here. We have lots of snow.. I am going to church in a few minutes, will take a while to brush my car off.. DH is taking me to the show this afternoon. We need to do something once in a while, at least once a week to break the routine..

It's been a productive weekend so far, we got a couple projects completed finally. I am in a creative mood, but have nothing going right now.. that usually happens as I start back to planting, must be a spring thing.

Son is doing so well, he is sketching and starting a painting... he will be leaving us soon, to go back to his own place and get on with his life... I am so happy for that, but I am going to miss having him home. It will be empty here with him gone, since the youngest is also away at college. But my grandbabies come see me a lot.

Food wise I am doing ok, but need to do better. I have been reading a lot of articles on ways and things to do. I seem to be doing ok by them.. I just need to tweak this thing to get the scale moving down faster.

Karie, how did the show go? You were going to send me some brochures etc... I'd really like to see what you are doing. Pam I am sure you are getting ready for your sisters wedding, this time before can be so hectic, just remember to enjoy them too. Grandma G. you are doing great, you already reached your miles goal for Valentines Day.. bet you feel good about that... and the rest of you...hello and hope you're all doing fine too.

Dahlia
Closed Thread