Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #91  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile doing it!!

Eat Clean Challenge -- Day 11 completed, 3 pauses left

No Alcohol Challenge -- Day 0 completed, the fewer pauses the better

Well, another night out drinking last night. I shouldn't do it but the socializing is the catch. I wish I could do it without the alcohol. I didn't eat so my eating challenge is still OK. I really resisted a LOT of temptation during the day coming back on the expressway. But, I had brought containers of cut up fruit and such and that really, really saves me. As long as I have something healthy to munch I don't feel guilty. I eat as much as I want but just do NOT touch the processed stuff. It is nearly impossible not to eat sugar and highly processed white flour products when you go into convenience stores. And the chemicals in premade lunches and stuff is horrible to read. Whenever I feel like buying something I just read the label and it is a great deterrent.

Well, I don't really want to do an alcohol challenge but maybe it will help. Like, last night, I didn't really want to go out but then I thought I should meet one guy from work just to get to know him better. That part, I think, is really important but then again maybe not...maybe it's something I should put off. Nah, I just need to keep it to a minimum and I am. So there, good for me. My weight is down and my clothes are looser. I took measurements and I am losing size. I am writing it down and not making little of small half centimeter changes in places. When the fat starts melting, everything sags downward because the skin is loose and that means the measurements don't change much but I can feel the difference. It is there and it was not horribly painful to do. It just took commitment and consistency. I didn't count calories either. Ok, now to keep it up!

ironlove, yes, the toughest challenges are often far easier, at least in the beginning. If you're the kind of person who loves to rise to challenge, to take on a dare, and I think you are, it's actually exhilarating to do it. But, yes, beware when it seems easy. It's NOT easy. Just because you did it, didn't make it easy. It just shows you CAN do it. But doing that over and over again, that's the true test. I love your attitude! Best of luck!!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-03-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #92  
Never give up

Sigh, I'm having a very hard time to not throw in the towel. I am looking at ALL the fat on me and wondering how I could let it get there. When I think of a year ago and how different my body looked, I feel awful....And it's making me want to give up because I just don't seem to be able to do it...well, not actually WANT to give up, but just giving up..

Last edited by redballoon; 11-03-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #93  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballoon View Post
Sigh, I'm having a very hard time to not throw in the towel. I am looking at ALL the fat on me and wondering how I could let it get there. When I think of a year ago and how different my body looked, I feel awful....And it's making me want to give up because I just don't seem to be able to do it...well, not actually WANT to give up, but just giving up..
Hi Red- I don't think you really want to give up. Our problem is, we are impatient, we want immediate results, we tend to forget that it took years for us to get where we are, so we should not expect to be super fit, super skinny in no time.
I've reached my highest weight ever in June, I was up to 163 pounds, I was OBESE! (I'm only a little over 5 feet tall) Problem is, I really did not think I was obese, OK i was in denial. Then I suddenly started having knee problems, no surprise- with all the extra weight I was carrying around. So I tried to watch my diet on and off, and finally got my BMI to the high overweight range. So now I'm back, I need to do something about my poor knees.
My challenges are all level 3:
1. Stay OP
2. Exercise at least 20 minutes daily
3. Never give up

Day 1 - check

Last edited by girlieyorkie; 11-03-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #94  
Never give up

Eat Clean Challenge -- Day 12 completed, 3 pauses left

No Alcohol Challenge -- Day 1 completed, the fewer pauses the better

Well, I did not blow it...though I felt like it and I ate a lot maybe. I was tired and felt sick and had to stay up. But, instead of eating sweets or other junk and then feeling mentally worse (for "blowing it") I just ate real food. My weight hasn't changed much and it's really no wonder, what with all the drinking I did. I don't know if I can be vigilant enough and NOT do things like drinking. It's like I have to have some outlet for my vices. Well, maybe I will learn to take pride in my accomplishments a little more once they show more results....

girlie, good to see you and thanks for the encouragement and support. The problem is, it didn't take years for me to get this way. It only took about a year and maybe not even that long. Along the way I know things are happening but I don't really see them until one day I notice EVERYTHING! I remember once (way back!!) when I had actually gotten quite thin. I hadn't realized it until I saw my reflection accidentally somewhere and didn't really think it was me. I mean, my legs didn't look big but I still thought of them as quite big. Weird, isn't it, the tricks our minds play on us. I, by the way, am the same height as you and I was just about the same weight. I didn't consider myself obese but I probably was (am). Hmmm....now you just made me feel worse...

Last edited by redballoon; 11-03-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #95  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Good for you Red.
Alcohol slows down weight loss, however moderation is the key.
Studies actually shows that alcohol in moderation is good for the heart.
I liked my wine with dinner, but it was not very difficult to quit because I get real hot and sweaty- the joy of getting older!

Day 2 completed.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #96  
Never give up

Eat Clean Challenge -- Day 13 completed, 3 pauses left

No Alcohol Challenge -- Day 1 completed, 1 pause taken

Sigh. Do not ask me why I wasn't home til nearly dawn. This has got to stop! Come on, get a hold of yourself (me) and get in shape again.
I've done two weeks (started before the challenge actually) and am getting used to NOT reaching for the junk food at the convenience stores. With all the drinking I've done, there is little wonder I have not lost more weight. Then again, too fast would not be good either. I have definitely lost weight and maybe having had the outlet of having fun with friends helped keep me on track. Whatever. Now to make a new goal for the next week. Bit by bit, that's probably the best way (if not the ONLY way) to bring about true change.

girlie, I definitely know the drinking has not been good for anything but fun. Moderation is not an option for me because I only drink to get drunk. I can't even stand the taste of alcohol. It's just too much of a socializing thing here. My only way is just to cut back and try to have fun in other ways, so it's not like I'm a recluse except for the times I go out on the town. That said. it was fun. Last night I was out with a co-worker and we met these two German tourists. I work in a German law firm and speak German but don't get much chance to speak and am pretty shy about speaking anyhow now that my German is rusty. We got talking and then I took them to one of my favorite bars, a real interesting Irish pub here in Tokyo. Anyhow, it was fun. Now for the recovering act....
A big hand to you for a successful second day!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #97  
Iron Love Handles

S/C/G: 175

Height: 5"5'

You are truly inspiring me, red, with your dedication to your goal. Even if the weight isn't coming off as fast as you would like it to, sometimes it's good to keep a commitment to yourself just to know that you can trust yourself!

Don't answer if this is too personal, but why do you only drink to get drunk?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #98  
Never give up

Eat Clean Challenge -- Day 14 completed, 3 pauses left

No Alcohol Challenge -- Day 2 completed, 1 pause taken

Another day down.

ironlove, too personal? Because it's fun...and the alternatives could land me in jail. As for being an inspiration, don't give me any credit. I just am trying to stick to it because the alternative is staying in the rut I am or ballooning up to incredible dimensions! The weight is not coming off because I'm not doing the things for it to do that. This time it's obvious. It's when the effort seems like so much more than the results, that I get really upset. This time I have a good excuse, which actually may be the key to continuing. What about you? How are your challenges?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #99  
takeitoff&Keepitoff

Day 3 completed.

I can relate to "the weight not coming off/or not coming off fast enough.
I can not understand why I can not even lose 25 pounds!

I go through the goal/mini goal section and I see all those successful stories, and while the stories motivates me, somehow I feel sort of depressed that I can't lose 25 pounds when others can lose more than 100 pounds. I'm really happy for everyone who have met their goals, I wish I can be as motivated and determined to keep on going.
My problem is portion control, I need to be consistent.

IronLove- Hi there, please to meet you.

Last edited by girlieyorkie; 11-05-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #100  
Never give up

Thumbs up

Eat Clean Challenge -- Day 15 completed, 3 pauses left

No Alcohol Challenge -- Day 3 completed, 1 pause taken

Ok, I'm calling Sunday clear. Going to bed soon. I think I ate a lot today. Did some weight training and walking, but it's nothing like I used to do...hmmm. Going to have to try some new stuff. I am in such a rut with the training too. Then, again, if it ain't broke...

girlie, well, it's not coming off because you have to take it to another level. Something is just not coming out a deficit in the final equation. And that's what it's about, the final equation. This is why I get so annoyed and discouraged, because I DO put in lots of effort, as you no doubt are too. BUT, and this is the "but" of death, or rather, the "but" that brings about THE BUTT! The "but" is the slipup, the "be nice to yourself," the whatever you do that cancels out ALL the hard work. OK, sure, you can say, well, if I hadn't done the other then I have that much more to work on, so you are ahead of the game, you're just not getting where you want to go.

Of course, people can lose 100 lbs more easily than 25. Simple math is a factor. And also the fact that you've probably been training your body to be super efficient in maintaining where you are by constant yo-yoing. The motivation is also not as great when you only have 25 to lose.

I think, and I am in the very same boat, that you need to make some drastic changes for a while just to get the weight off and THEN go back to NO!! not the old ways, but the things you do when you're trying to lose weight and it's just not working. Maintaining is doable, because you can be careful and then not be so careful. But you have to be vigilant even then.

Anyhow, come up with something you're going to do -- an equation that HAS to work and then stick to it, NO MATTER WHAT! It may be the only way.

Last edited by redballoon; 11-06-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #101  
Never give up

Thumbs up

Eat Clean Challenge -- Day 16 completed, 3 pauses left

No Alcohol Challenge -- Day 4 completed, 1 pause taken

Another day notched. It doesn't seem like 16 days (and it's actually a few more because I'd started before calling the challenge and didn't stealth it. I really would think that I would lose some weight because I would eat a lot of empty calories, but..well, with the nights out...I can't complain really. Now to keep it up.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #102  
Never give up

Thumbs up

Eat Clean Challenge -- Day 17 completed, 3 pauses left

No Alcohol Challenge -- Day 4 completed, 2 pauses taken

Made it through on food. It was really hard. I just did NOT eat even though I was hungry because I couldn't find food that was not full of chemicals and/or totally processed or full of sugar.

Had some beers though because I was at a friend's house for the first time since before the March 11 earthquake.

Last edited by redballoon; 11-08-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #103  

Hi, popping in again. I need to refocus. October was a busy month for me, and Nov should be a lot more relaxing.
Red, I am proud of you for sticking with it!
I DO like the taste of beer, and I also drink to ...mmm...relocate.
But I do drink too much and I will still fight the no beer challenge.
Tomorrow.cause I already had one today.
I would really like to drop another 5 pounds by Christmas, I think that's a very conservative goal.
ANd right now I am going for a run.
See ya later!

Last edited by Apple Blossom; 11-08-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 285/196/150

Height: 5'4"

Default 21 Days

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to join this challenge.

So, for 21 days I will......

Not eat any fried foods.... 3 pauses allowed

Drink 100 oz. of water a day 2 pauses allowed

Exercise for 30 minutes a day 3 pauses allowed
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #105  
Never give up

Smile what language are you speaking?

Well, am calling the day and heading to bed soon.
I turned down quite a few temptations today.
I've found that I must have alternatives with me, preferably fruit or vegetables and eating them makes a huge difference. I don't get panicky for junk. I don't know if it's just mental or if it's because my body really wants those things and then calms down. I think any junk food (processed sugar) just doesn't answer what my body wants at all and so it keeps asking. It asks -- I give it what it doesn't want -- it asks again -- repeat and repeat. Simple, eh? Problem is the body keeps asking and the mind has been speaking another language.

Eat Clean Challenge -- Day 18 completed, 3 pauses left

No Alcohol Challenge -- Day 5 completed, 2 pauses taken

Apple, Refocusing and relocating, sounds like you haven't changed! Good to see you again! Thanks for the kind words. I'm a little bit proud of myself too. But just a little. Hmm..5 pounds by Christmas. You can do it!!

karybeary, Welcome! Those sound like great challenges. I especially like the no fried foods one. Best of luck!!
Closed Thread