Old 09-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #16  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We have been thinking of terminating our TV service when the free time is up in a month. There isn't anything worth watching anymore. We can always rent movies to watch if we choose. We went for 5 years before moving here without TV and are thinking seriously about doing it again. Got a nice phone call from that young man that was working for that politician to get him elected we let live in our basement awhile back. He is doing work in Kentucky now. We are so glad he keeps in touch with us. I think we are about to get another man that is going to use our basement for a few months. More on that as it transpires.

JEAN How nice to have clean carpets. Tomorrow we will find out about those coffee beans. He can have them back. We just want some good ones. Why not call the Schwans phone number and lodge a complaint about the driver. They want their drivers to try their best to be at a house at the same time each delivery time or as close as they can be. You can't have ours for he is a real jewel.

Sleep well Magnolias.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #17  

Good morning to you ladies. It is a cool morning again this morning so the ac is off and we are running just a couple fans to circulate the air. I just hope it stays warm enough to swim outdoors on our vacation next weekend, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. We have things to do to keep us busy.

Gail: I am the biggest boob in the world. I not only didn't see Wayne had lost his job, I then commented on how everything was right in your world. Chalk it up to noodleheadedness and please accept my very sincere apology for being such an idiot! If you don't mind telling us why did this job fall through so quickly. I thought they needed people so badly he was working really long hours and such? Praying he will find work real soon!!!

Jean: We just shampooed the carpets right before Jack's surgery and Fortune promptly puked on them the other day already! He was eating too fast and up it came right onto the rugs in two spots. We have spray rug cleaner but it doesn't get out the stain so we will have to drag the thing out when we get back from vacation I guess and redo the living room rug. Thankfully we aren't expecting any company.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss! I know you have to be happy about that. I am going through a tough round of the female stuff and feet and leg swelling again so though I lost a couple lbs, I am not holding steady. I will be glad when I can get this situation settled next month no matter what they decide to do.

We all went to PeiWei for dinner last night, which is the cheaper diner style restaurant of PF Changs. We had a fun time, Jackson sat next to me and just talked his head off to me. They have big glasses full of papered chopsticks so we opened some of those and he and played build stuff with them. He is a pretty sharp little dude and funny as all get outs. I ordered a honey chicken with rice and his mom had ordered him the same thing in a child's size. When it came he exclaimed, "Nonny, you have white rice just like me!" Then a second later, "You have the same chicken as me!" He thought is was a big deal we were both eating the same thing. We then went next door for frozen yogurt and that was cool. They have lots of flavors, sugar free and such too, and you get either a waffle cone or a one size container, put the amount of frozen yogurt you want in the cup then walk over to all the toppings, including some unusual stuff and put what you want on, including hot fudge or carmel and whipped cream at the end. You make it as small or as big as you like and it is sold by the oz. I fixed myself a sundae, but ate little of it and gave it away to Jackson to eat. Here are my favorite three men at the restaurant and then one of Jackson giving Nonny a big smile and my studious Thomas getting ready to eat with chop sticks. Thomas is now channeling Justin Bieber a bit if you notice the hair! I was teasing he and Jackson about their shredded jeans. I found out later that Thomas paid $60 for them to be preshredded versus $40 for a pair of regular ones is mom shredded for him. She was funny talking about going over the clothing allowance for school and such.

Well, gals, I need to go and unload the dishwasher, make the bed and such and get something for breakfast. Have a good start to the week after the holiday. The kids are headed home this morning so I hope that get there safe and sound and the kids here are back to work and school today. Jack has rehab at 10 but is now driving the car so is going to go by himself today so I can get some things done around the house. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thomasgranddadjackson.jpg (37.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg peiwei.jpg (28.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tfleming.jpg (32.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by gma22; 09-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #18  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning ladies! I would love to say it is a bright and sunny day in Delaware but it's not. It's raining. BUT I do love a good rainy day because that is the kind of day that I can just sit back, relax, knit or read while listening to CDs, or ponder life's challenges. No matter what kind of day it is I feel blessed.

I went to WW this morning. I lost 1.2 lbs. I'm so happy about that because I ate heavy on Saturday evening when we celebrated Labor Day. Wayne and I have walked some this past week and we plan on walking some more this week. Walking, drinking water, and of course owning what I eat (tracking) are key points for me to lose weight. Yes, I'm in that "honeymoon" state of mind still when it comes to WW. I am so grateful that I did not wait until I regained all that I lost in 2010 going into 2011 before getting my head screwed on right and starting fresh again. I am still wearing all the new lower sized clothes when I weighed 5-7 lbs. less. Yay me!

It's been a busy weekend like everyone else here on the thread I'm sure. Friday, Wayne and I helped our youngest do some repairs to her home (he painted the front door, fixed her storm door, etc.) while I more or less ran errands for him. She is very appreciative. Wayne plans on doing a few more things over at her house tomorrow or Wednesday. Saturday, we celebrated Labor Day by grilling outdoors (steak, corn on cob, etc.). Both daughters brought over food--Amy brought a coconut cake (especially for her daddy) and Heather brought over this wonderful bean salad that you can eat by itself or scoop it up with a tortilla chip. On Sunday, we went to church (sermon was great--we love our pastor) and that afternoon, we went to the produce stand that we like. Yesterday, we hung around the house doing some chores and dropping off my car at the transmission shop (we're hoping all is well there). And now it is today...

Donna, oh don't worry, sweetie! I'm notorious for misreading a post! No offense! And inspite of the job loss, we're going to be okay. I just won't be buying any more yarn or books right now. But goodness gracious if you could see my yarn stash and my "to be read" pile of books you would not feel sorry for me! I'm just grateful we have pensions and a savings account and hopefully that will last us until Wayne gets another job. He already has a lead on a couple of jobs and he will follow up on those today. Say a prayer though! Prayers are always wecomed!! I love the photos!

Maggie, its nice that you open your home to those who need the help. I have to agree with you somewhat about tv. I do not watch it during the day at all. I do turn on the tv after dinner and lately its been terrible. But there are some promising new shows debuting this fall. By the way, if you do hear of a tv show you think you might like, you can always watch it on your computer!

Jean, I need my bedroom carpet cleaned badly.

Susan, hoping you are doing fine.

Well ladies I need to go....type at y'all later!
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a sunny and cool 68 degrees in my corner of the world today. I did my morning in the gift shop and even sold a few things. Then I went to church and balanced with the treasurer the first time so that didn't take long. Now, I'm trying to decide which chore to tackle first; I don't feel like doing anything except maybe reading my book that's due on Friday.

Maggie -- I could call the Schwans 800#, I guess. I don't order enough from Schwans to have the guy stop every week. This guy just isn't as personable as the first one was. I agree, there's not much on tv these days. We usually try to catch the news either at 6 or 10, and Bob will watch a good football game once in awhile. I enjoy Dancing with the Stars but only recognized Cher's daughter/son, and am not familiar with any of the rest. We have so many duplicate and Spanish channels that I always can argue to have my same rate when they try to raise them every 6 months or so.

"Gma" -- Congrats on losing "a couple" pounds! Any loss is a GREAT loss! I didn't realize you could buy shredded jeans! When I see the jeans that look like they came from the Good Will, have spots, and holes, I cringe when I see the price tag! I'm glad I don't have to clothe a kid these days. Jackson and Thomas look like they came from the same mold. I must admit I like the "clean cut" look on Thomas better.

Gail -- on losing 1.2# this week, and still wearing your smaller clothes! You go girl! I'm with you in the exercise and tracking thought even though I hate doing both! Coconut cake . . . !

Susan -- Where are you? We miss you!

I need to get busy and accomplish something today! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 09-06-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #20  

Good evening, ladies. We've had rain every day since Saturday and it's supposed to keep on for several more days.

Smoke has been bad again. 12 inches of rain didn't put the fire completely out. It is 90% contained now. Because it is in the swamp, they can't get heavy equipment in there and the peat is now burning down deep.

I ended up going to the doctor and I had a very bad ear infection in both ears that ended up - where else - in going to my lungs. I've been on antibiotics and Prednisone and it seems to finally be improving. I've been sleeping and laying around listlessly. Didn't even feel like quilting or reading but I did listen to some of my books on CD.

Congratulations to all our losers! I don't know where I am, probably lost some from not eating but the Prednisone buts it on me fast.

I'll try to do personals tomorrow. Right now, I'm going to lay down.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #21  

Susan -- I'm so glad to see your post tonight! You take care of yourself and I hope you feel lots better very soon!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #22  

Good morning gals. It is another cool morning here. Jack went out this morning with a fleece pullover on. It is nice and sunny though.

Jack's knee was sore last night from rehab, but other than that, he is coming along great. He is now driving and walking around with no problems whatsoever so he won't have issues next week on vacation, which is great.

Susan: Hope you are completely on the mend soon. Nothing is worse than an ear ache or toothache in my opinion so I really feel for you having it in both ears then having lung problems to boot. Feel better soon and we will be here when you feel up to posting again.

Jean: I have been tempted to order from Schwanns, but haven't ever done it. Now that my favorite programs are ending for the summer, I will go back to not watching tv at all in the evening. The last "Burn Notice" is on Thursday, then the last "Rizzoli and Aisles" and the last "The Closer" are on Monday. "Memphis Beat" has already finished for the summer and that is pretty much the only shows I watch. They cut up the viewing so much anymore you never know when new shows will be on.

Maggie: It is expensive to have cable or satellite there is no doubt about it and if you don't watch a lot I feel you don't pay for it that's for sure. Jack watches a lot of sports or we wouldn't get much for our buck either. He loves college football and that just started so he will enjoy that this fall.

I have finished one and am making the other duffer slipper for myself. I had a skein of the bulky wool left from when I made you gals slippers and it is dark green colors and I just decided not to use it for any of yours so still had it. It makes much better felting than the other stuff so I wanted a better pair of slippers than I made from that flossy yarn I had. I am going to get some cute buttons or something to embellish it tomorrow probably then get more paint for the bottom to keep them from sliding as I have used all my other paint up.

Well, Jack should be back soon so I guess I better get out of here and get something done. They moved his dr appt to Friday so today is a "free" day for the two of us. Tomorrow is commissary shopping until the end of the month and Friday he has a morning rehab and an afternoon dr appt to get his stitches out. Have a great middle of the week. Faye
Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Hallelujah Humpday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely part cloudy 83 degree day here in the Heartland. Only thing new to report is our guest has moved into the basement. I just thought you might be interested in this: His name is Paul and will be staying with us for about 4 months for he now has a job as a talk show host at the only conservitave radio station in the western part of this state. His wife is PG with their first and doesn't want to change doctors and move here until after the baby is born in mid to late December. Looking for a place to rent here is impossible right now since college classes have started and there are absolutely no places open except expensive motel-hotel places and "our basement." He is somewhere in his early 40's and was on the counties Drug Task Force where he lived and has a Masters in Criminal Justice and a PHD in Sociology. He is also an ex Chief of Police in a small town here in KS and has written several books and he wants to start up a chapter of the Tea-Party here. He knows folks in high places in the radio field eg. Rush Limbaugh He is fun to converse with and the dogs love him. I think we will all get along just fine.

DONNA FAYE I am so glad that Jack is coming along so nicely after his operation and be right as rain when your vacation comes around. I hope you are also feeling top of the line then also.

JEAN Our Schwans guy here is on a every other week or twice monthly schedule here. Did I read it right that yours is on an every week schedule? I would certainly get that changed. Sometimes we only buy once a month. We only watch news and some neet "how it's made" programs. They don't put the baseball games on here that we like to watch and the package to get the ones we want to see is so stinkin' expensive.

SUSAN you poor dear. I do hope your feeling much better this day. You need to drink some broth and nibble some crackers or something. That's the mother in me talking. A good hot cup or chicken broth sooths the soul.

GAIL You doing a happy dance? Congrats on staying OP over the holiday. Our next holiday to get through is Thanksgiving I do believe. Ah but I have to get through my birthday in Oct first which is a biggie this year. Celebrate, dance to the music, celebrate.

All Y'all have a lovely evening.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-07-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #24  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another beautiful day here -- sunny and a cool 71 degrees. The tree guys are here cutting down the half dead pine tree in our back yard. The deer will miss it this winter as that was where they like to sleep. I did go to WW this morning and lost 3.4#! I must admit it was partly due to the new water pill the doc prescribed but I also worked at staying OP "most of the time." I just finished my gift shop bank deposit for last week so need to run a few errands and stop at the bank with that.

"Gma" -- I went to get my nails done this morning and wore jeans and a sweatshirt! It's supposed to be back in the 80s this weekend. I hope you did something fun on your "free" day today! Maybe the commissary won't be so busy on a weekday, and you can zip right through.

Maggie -- It's nice of you to let someone stay in your basement. I hope Paul is able to get home in time for the baby's arrival. With your "criminal" background I'm sure you have lots you can talk about. I think there are 2 different Schwans guys because the truck is out here every week.

Well, I need to run my errands so I'm off! Enjoy the rest of you day and evening!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #25  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

LATER IN THE DAY MAGNOLIAS

The dogs just came in here looking and smelling so good just back from the groomer. Won't last long but today they smell wonderful.

JEAN Paul will be going home for the weekends which is good for him to be with his wife. Hopefully the baby will come on a weekend. We will just have him M - F. It's funny, they also have a Jeep which is a Cherokee and JD had a Jeep when he stayed with us. Paul left his Jeep home with his wife and is driving some small kind of car. Those small cars nowdays all look alike to me. Did I mention that we got our Jeep back and it runs great. Should for all the do re me it cost to get it back to exact. I guess with the Schwan guys if you miss one you can catch the other one the next week. I submit my order on line most of the time so I am sure to get what I order and it arrives around the same time on delivery day like clockwork. Like this month he comes the 9th and the 23rd. Oh yes, we will have a lot to talk about with our visitor since all three of us were in law enforcement in the past. Will nor I never had occasion to wear a gillie suit though like Paul did on occasion when on a stake out. Lots of neat things to talk about for sure. We all three worked in different areas of law enforcement. Life is good.

Yack at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-07-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #26  

Good morning to you all! I am going to shoot my dog I swear. He woke me up every hour last night either barking at me or scratching me. I got up once and let him out, but that didn't even phase him. He kept at it all night. I imagine my bp is up this morning because of it and I am tired, but will have to just take a nap later.

I need to type my grocery list so we can go shopping in a little while, then I need to run to Joann's and get some embellishments and some paint for my slippers, which fit perfectly and look cute. I will post a pic after I sew on the buttons or whatever. I am finishing the foot of my sister's sock and they turned out really pretty. The yarn is pinks, creams and tan and makes a really nice sock.

Election time is heating up. We vote for mayor and city council next month so you know I am going to try and get them out of office. Like Jack said he knows 6000 blacks who won't be voting for him this time around, all the black employees of the city. Tennessee is non partisan so you don't know which party they are, but you can pretty well tell by what they stand for. I just hope we don't get someone worse, like the last idiot.

Jack's knee was bothering him enough to take a pain pill yesterday, but he said he thinks most of it is from rehab. He is back to that tomorrow along with getting his stitches out then he can shower and get the smiley face off his knee! Jackson got a kick out of him have a smiley on his knee. Speaking of that, they all got home ok, as Alicia called me on Tuesday evening to let us know they got home. Hopefully, we will see them again in Indiana in a couple months.

Jean: Yay for you losing that much. Did you dr by any chance put you on hydrochlorthiazide? That is what I am on. It is a little orange pill looks like a baby aspirin. It is chilly here now in the mornings too. Jack just said it is supposed to be thunderstorms in Branson our first day there. What else is new? We seem to always have rain the first day of our vacations for some reason. We have found a wonderful hotel to stay at the night before the cruise and already have that booked. It gives us free breakfast and free shuttle to and from the port and free parking for the week with security in the parking lot too, which is nice. It has a beautiful outdoor pool so I can swim too!

Maggie: Glad you got your jeep back. Do you have something from schwann's you always buy over and over? My birthday is only 3 weeks from yesterday and I know yours is in Oct, Susan's is in Oct, and Jean's is in Oct. I need to get Gail's birthday and such too.

Well gals, I need to unload the dishwasher, make beds, etc and get cleaned up and dressed to go shopping. Have a great day today. Last episode of Burn Notice tonight so I have to get a nap so I am not too tired to watch it.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 09-08-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #27  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and it is a tiny bit warmer this morning. It's going to be another beautiful day in my corner of the world. The sun clearly shows my windows need a wash job! Bob and I usually do that together so maybe this weekend we will tackle that job. I keep forgetting to pick up Zowie and Maddy's birthday pictures from the newspaper so will do that this morning enroute to the post office and library.

"Gma" -- Does the phase of the moon affect Fortune? Bob says that farm animals behave differently, or affected by approaching weather changes. I hope you both sleep better tonight! I'm sure Jack is more than ready to have his stitches out and looking forward to a shower. My new pill is yellow and some long generic name -- I will have to look when I go downstairs. Good luck at the commissary today.

I need to empty the dryer before the wrinkles set in! I hope you all have an enjoyable day!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

This day is said to be mostly cloudy and 80 degrees. How nice. The Jeep runs like it is new again thankfully. My right eye is red and I must have rubbed or poked it in my sleep. I put some artificial tears in it and it feels better somewhat. I think for dinner I will be making spaghetti. It is Will's late day at the museum for there is a board meeting so we will have dinner around 6:30 or 7. I have a few things on my list I need to accomplish this day and will get to it when I finish here.

DONNA FAYE We usually like to keep on hand the Boneless skinless chicken breasts which come out to be 82 cents each which I can use lots and lots of ways. Some of the other items we like to keep on hand are: Diced chicken breast meat, meatballs, bone in pork chops, boneless pork chops, grilled onions & mushrooms, bright starts breakfast english muffin, tamales, frozen berries, beef sirloin steaks, beef shepherd's pie, at least 3 TV dinners, a few Live Smart snacks, shredded steak taquitos, fully cooked bacon slices (which are 1 point each and great for crumbling on things), no sugar added (sweetened with Splenda) fat free vanilla ice cream. Lots of other yummy items we also buy on occasion. On this order that will be coming tomorrow I have a savings of $11.40 off my order. Some of it is from sale items and some for reward points that I get when I order.

JEAN Isn't it just like the sun to show up those streaks and dirt spots on windows. Sometimes when we open the drapes we get a surprise. In front of the big picture window we have hanging a huge spider plant that almost reaches the floor. If someone sits on the end of the couch watching TV they have to look through the plant. There is another plant that doesn't hang down that far and I asked Will if he would switch those plants around so our guest could see the TV. Voilla ~ they now are switched and both in front of windows that need a cleaning. After he leaves we can switch them back for they balance the room better where they were. But for the next few months they will be fine.

SUSAN I hope you are feeling better this day and getting back to exact. Has your WW center gotten it's power back on yet. I read where there are still lots of folks in the dark.

GAIL How ya doin' my friend?

Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-08-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #29  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

HOWDY THIS AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I have my list of "to do" things done this day and now I can sit and go through the new WW book "Fruits & Veggies A-Z" that was just delivered by the UPS man. I had also ordered some smoothie mixes, Chocolate, French Vanilla and the new one ~ Creme Brulee which I will be trying for the first time so I think I will make it first. I also received my Glass Crafters flyer and they have some real neat things on sale that I might take advantage of that will make great Christmas presents. I just had to share with you what I got from WW today for it jazzed up my day. I never realized how many varieties of fruits like apples that are being grown now days.

Hope all of you lovely Magnolias are having a good day this Thrusday.
Type at y'all later
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #30  

Maggie -- It sounds like you had a nice weather day in your neighborhood too! I love this kind of weather! I'm glad your Jeep is finally fixed correctly. I know how much you it. Enjoy reading your new cookbook and catalog -- I just got a catalog I haven't ordered from in years. I suppose the Christmas retail shopping is trying to get a head start. I bought stamps this afternoon and the Christmas stamps will be in the po on October 14th. I know WM had their Halloween stuff out in August so I imagine the Christmas items will follow shortly.

Susan -- Are you feeling better? I hope so!

I think I will read for a bit and then head to bed. See you tomorrow!