Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #16  

Good afternoon, ladies! A lovely 88 degrees. I had to laugh until noon because Weather Bug was giving the local weekend forecast as 80% chance of rain and cloudy with light winds. They finally changed it. The warning came out from NOAA today for a hurricanecane watch until midnight tomorrow so I think they must just do one day ahead. They are supposed to tell us tomorrow if we have to evacuate. They are thinking it will be a tropical storm with 70+ miles per hour winds and torrential rain but conditions are not going to be the same as it was during Isabel so flooding should be less with a 6 foot storm surge. Depending on how close to high tide that surge is, I may or may not be flooded. Nothing to do but to wait. I decided I wanted more batteries for my boom box so I can listen to books on CD and the radio in case the power goes out for a long time and went to 7 stores where they were sold out and then found some at the Dollar Store. I'm charging my phone and MP3 player, too. The worst is supposed to happen during the night time hours which I hate because I can't see if the water is rising very well.

Faye, I'm sorry Fortune isn't feeling well again. Poor little fellow! That's a very nice thing to do for Missy. It's so sad when it's a young person. Glory had ovarian cancer when she was 28 and has survived 41 years now. Her little girl was 5 at the time. I love your thermos cooler.

Maggie, I will take an envelope to mail your book with me on Saturday and run it to the post office after I finish at WW so it should get out of town before the big blow.

Jean, I hope WW gets back to Thursdays for you with a leader you love.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #17  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another beautiful day in my corner of the world; it's sunny and my windows are open wide. It has warmed up to 75 from 51 when I went downstairs this morning. It is so dark at 6 now. The office was busy with people coming and going this morning. We are advertising for a new custodian as our 2 part-timers are retiring. Some of the "candidates" didn't look smart enough to open a locked door let alone fix anything. The salad luncheon was today so I ate lunch with Bob's secretary. Lots of different yummy salads; I keep saying they should do a salad cookbook and sell them for a fund raiser. I need to make a grocery run after I make a list which is next after I finish here.

"Gma" -- I'm so sorry about Fortune and you too! It's not fun having a sick pet. I hope his food has stayed down. It's really nice of you to help with meals for Missy's family. Bob doesn't get to wear his Dockers very often because I hate ironing them. I never thought about the cleaners route. Good idea! Your cosys are sure cute!

Maggie -- You just don't get any cooler do you? The Navy Seal, with the dog, was from So. Sioux City so the newspaper and local tv stations have really had a lot to say about him. His family didn't even know he was a Seal, just that he was in the Navy. He was such a nice young man even in school according to his teachers. Sad and tragic loss that's for sure. That is weird about your iron. My new one doesn't have a nonstick bottom; I really like it . . . and it's bright silver metal with RED showing the water level!

Susan -- Where will you go if you have to evacuate? I am praying that you will be safe and your home too! That is a good idea to stock up on batteries. I never seem to have the right size on hand.

I need to make my grocery list and get moving. All I really want to do is put my feet up and read/take a snooze. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 08-25-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #18  

After the evening news tonight, we are in for the worst storm in more than a century unless a miracle turns it away and its going to be horrendous all the way to Maine. Faye, you may remember Sandbridge a few miles south of VA Beach that floods with a Nor'easter. They are now under mandatory evacuation along with parts of Norfolk. The storm will be a weak Category 3 or a strong Category 2 when it gets to me. Fema has already begun moving supplies into the area and the insurance companies are coming too. I honestly don't know where I could evacuate to with the expanse of the storm so I'll stay put. No reason to worry about any of this because it is going to happen so I plan on being prepared, praying and picking up the pieces. The storm is supposed to hit around 9 pm Saturday night and the worst should be over by 7 Sunday morning, if they weather people know what they are talking about. I guess I'll take a nap Saturday afternoon so I can stay up all night. Not that anyone will be sleeping! I worry about the animals. The ships and planes are gone so there are a lot of women here with no men on hand.

The wind is picking up from the south and the smoke is awful.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #19  

Talking

Susan -- You, and all the others in Irene's path, are in my prayers. I, too, feel sorry for the animals.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #20  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD NIGHT MAGNOLIAS

Just checking in before I hit the hay. I am so glad that they gave us a new car to drive while they figure out what is wrong with the Jeep. They are keeping it until they do figure it all out no matter how long it takes. I sure hope it isn't the main computer in it. That will cost a lot of do re me for sure.

SUSAN You are in my prayers for your safety for sure. I do hope you weather the storm nicely. I sure hope there is someone that can come to your place to weather the storm with you. They are all saying it will hug the coast all the way to Canada. However, they are split on if the storm will decrese or increase in its trip up north for it is one that hasn't hit like it there in so many years. No two storms are just alike anyway. Good thing you did find some batteries for the electricty will surely go out they say. And that awful smoke. Yep, even some guys on shore leave cut it short and went out on their ship to go to sea and weather the storm. Best place for the ships. When Will was on a ship they had a tough time going out but were in the eye for awhile then it was easier sailing out the back side of the storm. But the sailors and the ship were safer out there. They were out in the Pacific somewhere between Hawaii and Australia when the storm hit. He was on an aircraft carrier at that time. Be safe my friend.

Time for me to go to cut some zzzzz's. Yack at y'all tomorrow.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #21  

Good morning ladies. It is warm here this morning I noticed when I let Fortune out. He seems to be ok from his tummy upset, no more loose stools. He never did vomit and usually it is both, sort of like our flu when he has this stuff so maybe we avoided it this time. He is happily eating his breakfast right now.

I have my slippers done and one of the pink ones. She wanted pink, she got pink, that's for sure. It was almost nauseating knitting it as there are so many pink colors and not soft pinks but bright pinks and a little gray and purple thrown in for good measure.

Susan: You are now on several of my friend's prayer lists so you get things together and batten down the hatches and take care of yourself. Keep us updated until you no longer can so we know you are safe. Is Glory staying in her home too?

Maggie: Hope they get the Jeep fixed quickly. I know how that goes since the accident.

Jean: Looks like several more of Kelly's friend's have volunteered so Missy's family is going to have meals for awhile, which is nice. It takes some of the stress off an already stressful situation. I cried when I saw the dog and the Navy Seal story. Broke my heart to see that dog. I was kind of shocked though that it said his family didn't know he was a Navy Seal. Wow, the training is so rigorous and the jobs so life threatening, I just can't believe he didn't tell them because out of all the jobs in all the services including Army's Delta Force, the Seal is the most dangerous. They are first responders to any bad military situation.

Well gals, short but sweet, but I am going to read for awhile until Jack gets up. I am still not feeling very well female wise and will be glad when the end of the month gets here and I can start the process of getting this taken care of. I am pretty miserable at the moment and very uncomfortable. Have a great weekend gals and Susan, praying for you kiddo!!!! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #22  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a lazy slow day here in the Heartland for this happy camper. Supposed to be a sunny 101 degree day. I have yet to accomplish anything so far of any substance. Schwan man came today and that was a surprise for his day to be here is not till next week. He has been on vacation and evidently the driver that took his route did a lousy job. We didn't see hide nor hair of him all last month. Anyway I had started my order on line and was planning on adding to it next week before he came of items Will might want. I don't know if he added to my order this morning or not for it all happened before I got up. It is a moot point now. I will find out when I go and re-arrange the freezer today. I hear a cricket so I must have one in the corner behind me somewhere. That recipe I had for pork tenderloin tacos is a keeper. Such a good dinner it made last evening. I got it out of the latest Cooking Light magazine. Those little taco sized whole wheat tortillas for one point each are tasty little things. They had grilled fresh pineapple in them along with some other spices. Yep, a definite do again recipe. The salsa for them was made up of the grilled pineapple, sliced purple onion, chopped parsley, tad bit of a jalapeno pepper, lime juice, kosher salt and so yummy. The pork was grilled with a spice rub of chopped chipotle chile, olive oil, oregano, chili powder, ground cumin and kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper and then cut into small cubes. Served with lime wedges. Now you know the gist of it. Not hard to do at all after all the ingredients are gathered up. Yep, we will definitely have that one again. I think for dinner today we will be having one of the dinners Schwan brought today called Chicken Lo Mein. Easy for me.

DONNA FAYE I think it was a smart thing for that Navy Seal to not tell he was in the Seals. "Loose lips sink ships" as the old saying goes. The fewer people that know you are in secret ops the safer you are. Even his folks or siblings could be over heard talking about it and then there it goes . . . They even have talks with the wives as to what they can and can not talk about. I never ever said anything about what I was working on at the base I worked at and my father who had the top most secret classification also but on another base only found out when he had the need to know. He never talked about what he was working on nor did I. Living in the secret world of the USA is a whole different tamale than a "regular" job. What I worked on is probably de-classified now but I still won't talk about it. So you see I do understand why that Seal did not tell his folks. I am so glad that little Fortune is feeling better. Don't you just wish sometimes that he could talk and let you know what he is feeling. Vets sure have to know a lot to treat animals. That is so neat that lots of folks have stepped up to deliver meals. The folks can do so much for each other when the call comes out for help.

All other Magnolias out there have a wonderful day. Type at y'all later. Time now to go fix some lunch since my main squeeze is home now.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-26-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #23  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! My "work" week is over and I sure don't want to start any big cleaning projects this afternoon! The day started out as cloudy and I thought it would rain, but the sun is out now and it's warming up. Tomorrow we are going to the funeral that was supposed to happen last week!

"Gma" -- I'm so glad Fortune is feeling better! I misspoke about the Navy Seal yesterday. The tv picture, with the dog, was of a Navy Seal who was from eastern Iowa. Bob saw the broadcast but I had left for church. I just assumed since that the dog was the German Shepherd the other sailor worked with. That picture was in our newspaper today and I realized it was a black lab. So sad! The Seal I was talking about is Asian. Both were outstanding young men.

Maggie -- I found a cricket in the basement yesterday. I have not connected with the Schwanz man forever. My first one came on Thursdays at 11:00 on the dot. The lastest guy's first visit was on Wednesday and that is our church night so I knew I probably wouldn't be home from Sept. - May. He switched to Tuesday evenings sometime between 5 and 9, so he either isn't stopping anymore or we've been gone. I figure "whatever . . .!" I misspoke about the Navy Seal yesterday and explained myself in my post to Faye.

Susan and Gail -- Thinking of you both -- stay safe!

I think I will go read my book! Bob is leaving to work on his tractor so my time is my own! Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

YIPEKIO our Jeep is ready to pick up. They put a new OCM (part of the emisson ocygen thingie) in it and it all tested out good. The mechanic just lives a couple doors down and when he took it for a test drive his son thought we had traded it in and wanted his dad to buy it for him. NO WAY he said it was just in to have work done on it. That teen just drooles when he sees us drive by their house. I totally understand for I wanted a Jeep ever since I was five years old. I had two before I was ever married to Will. We are hoping this will be our last.

JEAN Will had been to Home Depot and looked at travel irons. They had two sizes of Proctor Silex on sale and he bought the small one they had. Got it for 5 bucks. Well it is still not the smallest one they make for it is still twice the size of my old travel iron. I will probably end up ordering one off the web. This is a wonderful iron with all the bells and whistles I need for sewing projects but not exactly what I was looking for. It has an adjustable steam, easy-view water window, on light and fine-mist spray. The picture on the box fooled Will into thinking it was smaller than it really is. If it was the size of the picture it would be perfect. Will said if I don't want that iron then I can sell it at a yard sale for more than he paid for it. I will keep it for I can surely use it in my sewing area until I find what I really want.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #25  

Good evening, ladies! We've had some showers this afternoon after a storm last night. It looks like Irene will be here a little sooner and the bad news it the worst is hitting at high tide. There are huge backups on all the roads - it was already 8 miles at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunner and 21 at the Monitor Merrimac at noon today and it's only getting worse. There is no gas to be had on the Peninsula and most of the grocery stores had put up there hurricane shutters and closed since they are out of food.

I went to English paper piecing today. No point in staying home since all is ready and who knows when I'll get out again. I left my car about a 1/4 mile away on higher ground. Just about everything is closed tomorrow so I won't be getting your book, Maggie.

I will get back to you when I can. If you hear anything on TV, I'm on the VA Peninsula between VA Beach/Norfolk and Richmond or you can go to www.dailypress.com on line for our local newspaper.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #26  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

BACK FOR A BIT

SUSAN That book is the last thing on my mind right now. Get it when you can for your safety is much more important for sure. Good idea to park your car on higher ground. Thanks for the web page ~ some interesting reading there. I am sure glad that you did your stocking up on food and batteries before they ran out and boarded up. Stay safe my friend.

It is a tad bit after 6:30 here and I need to go start my dinner plans to working. Type at y'all later.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #27  

Susan -- It's good to see you again today. I'm glad you can park your car further away, but hopefully it won't be for too long. We've had the weather channel on tonight watching Irene. I don't blame you for going out as long as you can. I can't imagine all the stores being closed, no gas nor food available. Stay safe and know we are praying for you!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #28  

Good morning to you all. Jack and seem to have our internal clocks set for 4 or so as we both got up early this morning.

I now have all three prs of slippers done so hope I can go ahead and felt them today and get them stuffed for drying so I can take them to the vet's office on Tuesday when I go and get my haircut and we get tons of ice for Jack's cooling machine that goes on his knee. We went through 4 bags in just one day the last time and I was running back and forth to the store so I told him this time since we now have the chest freezer we will get about 8 bags so I don't have to keep going and get more. It looks like a knee brace and it wraps around his knee and has a tube coming out of it which attaches to a small ice chest you plug in. You put ice and a bit of water in it and it has a gauge to watch to keep it kool and the "brace" fills with chilled water and keeps the swelling down on the knee. It is terrific and cut his recuperation time way down with the right knee.

Susan: Be safe and just hang on til it passes. We will still be here when you get through it all. We are praying for you!!!!! I can imagine what that bridge traffic is like. It is bad on regular days.

Jean: We have huge cicadas here and in the evening they are so loud you can't even hear yourself outside. The things die and I find them all over the deck and they are so nasty looking. they are probably 3 inches long and just icky looking. We also have these huge roaches here. I guess it is the area because I noticed Kelly and Tom had stuff to kill roaches at their house too. After dark when I go to let Fortune out on the deck and turn on the light you just see them run all over the deck it is disgusting. I bought some kind of pump spray stuff at Lowe's and spray along back side of the house and all around the outer perimeter of the inside rooms then under the sinks and such and it keeps them at bay for awhile, but then I will see one and noticed tiny pinpoint ones lately so they had to have laid eggs in the wall. With the neighbors we have it is no wonder. With fall and winter coming it will help a lot. Thank goodness they seem to be on the flooring and not in the cabinets and such, euwwwww.

Maggie: Because Jack saw all the insides of the fighter jets, he had secret clearance, but he told me last night he probably wouldn't have told his parents he was a Seal if he had been not because of the secret stuff but to spare them from worrying. Being a mom, I would have wanted to know.

I guess I will get in the recliner and work on Thoma's last sock so I can get that done then I have a pair of socks and a pr of slippers to make for my oldest sister for her birthday, which is the day after Christmas then I can work on my sweater for awhile as I will be done with knitting gifts and such for awhile. I will probably make my younger sister a pr of the slippers for her birthday in April, but won't start those until after the first of the year.

You gals have a nice Saturday. I am cleaning house and shampooing rugs today. Oh what fun! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #29  

Good morning, ladies - rain and rain and more rain. It woke me up in the night because it was coming down so hard. It lets up and then starts up again. This is the rain that comes ahead of the eye of the storm.

Irene made landfall at Cape Lookout at 7:30 as a category 1 so that is wonderful that it is a bit weaker. York County issued a voluntary evacuation order by my neighborhood as of 8 am. Nowhere to go now. Route 12 which is the only road from Hatteras is now covered with water. Tunnels have closed their flood gates. It looks like the eye will pass directly over us around 7-8 pm with high tide at 9:36 near me. There were tornado warnings issued earlier so we may have that to contend with that as well.

Of course we also have the nuts. There is a sail boat out in Norfolk and they think there are 2 people on board. The police, fire, and coast guard are trying to shot a line to the boat - about 400 yards - so they can get it in. All their boats have been put up to safety. I say if the nuts went out, they need to get in the best they can. Then there are the other idiots who are wading in the surf, people driving on the boardwalk and other risk takers so the police are busy.

I'll drop by and post during the day until the power goes out. Our lines are underground so it'll have to be a big feeder line or transformer that will take it down.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #30  

We've had 2 brief blips with the power but it came right back on. The worst will be hitting in 5 hours. We've had so much rain that things are already flooded. Irene is moving slower than anticipated so we're getting hammered with the rain for longer than they thought. They caught 2 kids on bikes looting houses in Sandbridge. Winds are gusting in the 50-55 mph now.

They managed to get a man and a woman off the sailboat. The boat will probably be smashed by the storm. They were out last night (when they shouldn't have been) and lost their engine so couldn't get back in. They should make them pay for their resue and a big fine. Stupid people update the surfers were in the water at VA Beach. It must be wonderful to think you'll live forever. We have trees down all over and I64 is now blocked. It'll stay that way until the storm is gone and it's safe to work again.

If the storm isn't enough, there's been a water main break in Norfolk and the road has caved in an the water is shooting up like a geyser.

The storm surge is going to be much worse than Isabel so I have been busy hauling everything upstairs that I can but it will be what it will be.