Old 06-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #30

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a very hot day here in the Heartland. 100 when we were out and about after mornng worship services. We had pot luck today and I was not in the mood to cook anything yesterday so we ordred a couple of large pizzas each with half of them with different toppings so there were 4 different toppings for folks to choose from. The folks loved that and I didn't have a crumb to bring home which is the way I like it. Beanie is a trip chasing an ice cube around the floor of my office. He loves to eat them and when he dropped it on my floor it scooted and provided a challenge for him. I cleaned out the half of the cupboard that is under the sink where the garbage disposal is so the man can have plently of room to work installing the new one in the morning. It was easy to just put a few items in a box and mop it down there. That is where I keep the big jugs of peanut & canola oil and vases of two sizes. On the other side are my trash bags and stove, sink and counter cleaning supplies. All nice and neat where I can find things easily. No mysteries down there. If for any reason the repair man needs that other side (don't imagine why) I can easily remove those things for they are on a tray. Nothing is down there that would be ruined if there were a flood under there anyway. I think we are going out to eat after evening services to Applebees. I will choose from one of the WW offerings on the menu. Tomorrow I start a new tracker booklet for this is the last day in the one I have been using. I plan on making a concerted effort to do better the next 3 months of my program so it is good to start out in a new tracker booklet.

DONNA FAYE I am so happy for you that the commissary had the fresh veggies and goodies you wanted and you didn't have to shop elsewhere. It sure does make a difference to get to shop at one place.

JEAN The clothing being sold doesn't match the season now days. We have to get our summer clothes in the winter now days and I don't like it that way. Who wants to buy a bathing suit or shorts when there is snow on the ground still. I just had a thought ~ maybe Hawaii sells summer clothing all year round. I am glad you were able to find some outfits that suit the weather still in the stores. You can please send your rain our way for we could sure use it.

GAIL & SUSAN I hope the day is going well for you.

Type at y'all later. Be safe.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #2  

Well, I've just finished the marathon of reading posts from the past week! You gals have been chatty while I was gone!

Maggie -- You mentioned brown eggs. My bil met a man and in the course of visiting he asked if they would like some eggs. It turned out the eggs were green in color, lighter than Easter egg green but still green. Frank said the yolks were really a deep yellow, almost orange. Our corn is over knee high now but the MN crop is pretty sad looking. They plant later and have had so much rain. I'm so ready for corn on the cob! I know Beanie will love his new door! I would like the pasta salad recipe please -- sounds delicious! You will have the 2#s gone in short order; to Will on losing a pound. I put very few things down our garbage disposal. The pipe/tube is like an accordian and stuff gets stuck which plugs up the drain; I have to wait for Bob to unplug it. I'm glad the you like the Jeeps new breather system and the other glitch was an easy fix. I read where if you are going to put your purse in the trunk of your car to do it at home before you leave home, where no one can see you do it.

"Gma" -- I hope you have new meds, or is that next week you go to the doctor? I did see where the Melting Pot is fondue; it really sounds pricey! I love Fortune's sweater but he really should face the camera and smile for us since we are his fan club! You can work on the 2#s along with some friends; retaining fluid is so frustrating! I enjoyed looking at the before and after pictures of the slipper. I can't remember if I sent you my shoe size or not -- usually an 8 1/2 since my toe surgery. I'm sorry about the city employees losing their holiday pay. There are only so many hours in a day, and so many jobs a person can hold down to make ends meet. I'm thankful you were able to find an air conditioner! You watch, the weather will turn cool and you won't need it. We get free checks from our bank also. I don't know if that's because we are seniors or not, but we got a letter in the mail several years ago saying we were eligible. I'm glad you were able to get the check mess straightened out.

Gail -- I'm so glad you got a good report about your heart, and that meds will help control any symptoms. It's good that your FIL has a good appetite to build up his strength. I know that cracked or broken ribs are very painful. on losing 1.2#s at WW this week! I like your daughter's idea of eating out as being in denial! I did that several times last week and will pay dearly at the scale I know. If I'm serious about a clean floor I get down and scrub on my hands and knees. I use a padded foam seat from when our kids were in school and we warmed a lot of bleacher seats! I text more often than I talk on my cell phone. The internet is an option but I'm not hooked up to it. I'm glad you are able to get outside and walk; walking is good for the soul! You hang in there and know we are here to listen and give you moral support any time!

Susan -- What color are you going to paint your cupboards? You might have said and I missed it. Take it slow 'n easy so you don't overdo. Boy, I sure don't envy you the computer SNAFU at work! It's a good thing you knew what to do! I'm sorry about your Pfaff, but so excited for you to be able to get a new machine, thanks to your boss! I'm showing my ignorance, but what does a quilting machine do differently than a "regular" sewing machine? Elizabeth does sound much more regal than Matilda! I've seen the embroidery machine at work and that is fun to watch. I'm so sorry about your stolen wallet! I do put my purse on the baby seat but always have it closed. If I turn sideways I put my arm or hand through the strap in case anyone would try to grab it. It would have been helpful if the thief would have just left the wallet in the store somewhere and you wouldn't have the hassle of replacing your license and insurance cards.

If I missed any s or s , it's because I read quickly.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #3  

Good morning everyone. It is early here and already steamy. I let Fortune out at 2:30 and it was hot and sticky then. Just hope Jack gets to work inside today. I never did tackle the housecleaning yesterday so will start on it first thing this morning. Glad we have the ac units going or it would be really miserable here to work in the house.

Maggie: We haven't been to Applebees in a long time as the only one is way across town. We did have a good time at Melting Pot with Thomas. One thing about dessert there is it is in tiny pieces so you can control what you eat if you are careful.

Jean: I don't know what I said, but I don't have a dr appt until after we come back from vacation in Sept. I am going to go and have something done about this female issue that is not resolving itself. She had me wait a year and the year will be up. On top of that, I am going to see about some change in my bp meds again. I hve to wait until Sept because of Jack's knee surgery. I want to make sure in case they want to do something more extensive to me that he is healthy and not needing help.

Did you see where this 95 year old wheelchair bound woman was forced to remove her depends underwear by the TSA. She is dying and was flying with her dd to see relatives one last time. She had had a blood transfusion the week before and so was having bladder issues. The agent did one of their intrusive pat downs on the poor woman and found something wet and firm and forced her to take it off. They didn't have another one with them so the poor woman had to fly without protection. I hope she wet all over the darn airplane seats, not for her embarrassment just so they had to clean it up. Once again this country has gone too far in ideas that are good. They have given all this power over to he TSA and these jerks get off on it. I think it is reprehensible. I guess, they did a strip search sort of last week or so of a baby of all things. Revolting.

Like I told Maggie, we had a good time with Thomas. He just got back from boy scout camp and told us all about the badges he earned, two of them towards his Eagle scout. He said he swam half a mile so he got a swimming badge for that. He liked his cuff links and he was sitting next to me so turned to me and grinned and said, "so that's why you were asking me all those questions about my cuff links." I guess I don't get to buy him anymore as his mother says he has way too many. I think they are a neat thing to collect actually. They are small and you can get lots of fun things that's for sure, not just the same old squares and such. Jack had the seafood entree and enjoyed it, shrimp, scallops and salmon and I have a land and sea which was chicken breast, shrimp and sirloin. I didn't eat a lot of the cheese but did enjoy the mushrooms with the green goddess filling. They were really good. Of course dessert is always great there and I had too much, but Thomas always gets the smores chocolate and it is delicious. I had fruit and some little marshmallows and such. Probably a whole lot less than a piece of cake or whatever though.

Well gals, I need to go. I want to get a lot of work done today and will have to stretch it out. You all have a great start to your week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #4  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning! I just had one bizarre kind of night! I had to sleep at a sleep study center. Yep. Tested for sleep apnea. All kinds of wires attached to my body! My head, my face, my legs, my arms, my chest....wires everywhere! Did I sleep? Yeah. Mainly because I only had 3-4 hours of sleep the night before. Strange, strange, strange...

Donna, sounds like you had a blast at Thomas' birthday party at the Melting Pot. When it's a special occasion, I honestly don't worry about points. And I agree with you...collecting cuff links is a great hobby! And I think it's cute a boy of his age doing that. You can collect cuff links for him and keep them at your home and when he's older you can present them to him! That poor lady in the wheel chair. THAT was poor PR for the airlines and TSA. I think a lot of commonsense has been cast aside by Homeland Security. Glad to hear also that you now have the second ac unit.

Jean, I know you had a great time but you were missed here! Welcome back! My FIL is doing better. Yes, that cracked rib is going to take some time. I take him to doctor appointments on Thursday. He is getting stronger and yesterday he looked better than he ever has since April 29 when he had his accident and fractured his femur. Praise the Lord! He wants to go home and believe me I'm helping him get there!! I think he will stay another two weeks with us. Prayer helps. Walking does too. And recreational shopping!!!

Maggie, hope all your plumbing under the sink goes smoothly. I love a well-organized kitchen.

I'll check back in later....actually I need to do some back-reading on posts...

Last edited by GailR; 06-27-2011 at 07:13 AM.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! As I sit here the tree service is sawing and grinding tree branches across the street. We had the "mother" of all storms last night: torrential rain (4" according to our rain gauge), wind, and NO electricity for about 4 hours. Needless to say the 2 sump pumps quit working and we had above the ankle deep water in the basement. I had baskets of sorted clothes to be washed that are now soaked clear through. The hot water heater has a safety "thing" so it shut itself off, the furnace is up on small blocks, the washer and dryer sit up on a cement slab, and the refrigerator was in the highest, least wet part of the basement. Everything is working this morning! Our neighbor's tree split and hit our tree knocking a branch over on our roof. Our patio flooded so water started coming in the lower bathroom and bedroom. I'm just glad we were home for this mess instead of being up north. Bob began getting phone calls last night so went to the office to check policies. I'm sure he is a busy guy this morning. The power came on about 1 am and the pumps started running right away. We didn't get a whole lot of sleep and poor Ernie had wet feet coming up from the basement after we realized the basement was filling up. He was not a happy cat! We may be investing in a generator yet!
I need to switch laundry loads and keep working. I should go outside and start picking up twigs and small branches. The computer at the church is down so the secretary said she would call when I could get on and do my posting.

Maggie -- I was just going to comment on your post last night when the power went off. Pizza at pot lucks always disappear quickly. My sister's dog, Barney, likes to chase plastic milk jugs around. He shakes them so hard and growls at them. I'd love to send some rain to you as we have way more than we need! I talked to a neighbor and she said going into town looks like a war zone.

"Gma" -- I guess you mentioned discussing your meds at your next doctor appt. and I assumed it was soon. I like to go to Applebee's and usually order the Oriental Salad. I know it's higher in points but I try to compensate the rest of the day when we go there. I didn't see the article about the woman in the wheel chair but think the airport security has gone way too far. I know someone could hide something in a baby blanket but on a baby for crying out loud?! I would be !

Gail -- It will be interesting to find out the results of your sleep testing. I am surprised at the number of people who use the CPAP machines to sleep. We have a friend who had to do it twice because the first time he didn't sleep at all so the test results were really crazy. I hope your FIL gets a good report at his doctor appointment. I know you and Wayne are anxious to have your lives get back to normal . . . whatever that might be.

Have a marvelous Monday and enjoy life! Things could always be worse than they seem.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-27-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 79 as I type this day and fixin' to get up into the 80's. Yesterday evening when we went out it was 108. The manager of Applebees came to our table to vent his frustration. There was a vehicle in the parking lot that had a dog in it. He had received several phone calls from customers that had left and seen it out there. He was trying to find the owner. While he was at our table the folks went out to their vehicle and the manager took some ice water out for the dog. The folks were from out of state traveling through. Poor dog. The forecast for this week has us 109 on Wednesday. I am not a fan of frying type weather. Our dogs are at the groomer this day getting nice haircuts and baths. They don't frolic in the yard when it is so hot. The worker to install our new garbage disposal had to cancel his 9 am morning appointment but will be here at 2pm he said. Probably the time the dogs are ready to come home so I will stay here. I was sure I was going to show a gain at weigh in this day so acting irresponsible we ate a package of orange rolls last night. All 8 of them for 4 points+ each. They were so good with hot coffee and I didn't want that roll of them calling my name this week when I had determined to crank down on my eating. Well wouldn't you know it. I showed a maintain at weigh in. But I am glad those orange rolls are not calling my name from the fridge anymore. I asked Will to please not bring anymore of them into the house for awhile. They are a definite red light food for both of us. You should have seen my face when it registered that I showed a maintain. AH Life is good.

DONNA FAYE I am so glad for you that you have those AC's and they are working fine in this heat. I don't think I have ever been to a Melting Pot nor do thay have any around here. I saw that about the search of that poor woman and felt so sorry for her. That is criminial invasive behavior in my humble opinion. A dear friend of ours uses depends and always carries an extra in her pocket or purse. She is always prepared that way. Wonder why those folks didn't have a spare along with them at the airport. Cufflinks. What a neat idea he has to collect them. He could be the youngest male with a collection to be in Guiness World Records. Wouldn't that be a kick.

GAIL Sleep study. Hope they find some good results that they can treat. A body needs a good nights rest. AH just two more weeks. Time is winding down to when you get your space back. Hang in there girlfriend.

JEAN Yikes you have your hands full this day. Four inches is a lot to fall in one night and now you have basement woes. Good thing you have your appliances up on pads away from the floor down there. You might think about putting your clothes baskets higher also. Hope you don't have any roof damage where that limb fell during the storm. Your poor kitty wading around in his domain and got his feet wet. He didn't know what happened. Looks like everyone in your area will be doing some yard "pickup" this day. Beanie still plays with the same milk carton. He has chewed a nice seam down one side that sticks out which makes it easier for him to pick it up instead of using the handle. He is so funny walking around with that 2 gallen milk jug sticking out of his mouth.

SUSAN How are you doing this lovely Monday?

I am still stunned that I showed a Maintain. What a happy happening. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #7  

Good evening, ladies! A love day in the middle 80s.

Did my water zumba and water aerobics today (10 APs) and then went grocery shopping. That was my big day out. I spent the rest of the time with Elizabeth (i.e., sewing).

Jean, a sewing machine for quilting has different stitches than a regular machine, a wider space from needle to the right where the inside edge is so you can get a large quilt under it, special quilting feet, and lots more. Here's the link to my new machine (875 Quilt) since that explains it better. http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/Sapphire_foB.pdf. I have found that it really pays to buy an expensive machine because the make the quilting process so much easier and more accurate. I'm glad you are back!

Faye, Thomas is amazing! He is so well rounded.

Maggie, I think people who leave dogs in the car in this weather should be put in that car for a few hours with no water and see how they like it. They should have sucked it up and gone through a drive through if they were hungry.

Gail, a sleep study! The results will be interesting. Many people don't realize sleep apnea is deadly.

Have a great evening.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 06-27-2011 at 07:54 PM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #8  

Good morning to everyone. We are sitting here waiting for some bad thunderstorms to roll in. We have battened down the hatches and Jack texted me and said they should hit the plant anytime now so it won't be long for them to be here too.

I got my downstairs all cleaned yesterday and will tackle the dusting upstairs today. Always somethng to be cleaning. Will tackle the bathrooms upstairs tomorrow I guess. We are going to spot clean carpets, wash all the curtains and generally spruce up this weekend I think. We have no holiday plans and we don't do anything on the fourth anymore. Too many people at the fireworks around town and more of a chance of getting hurt or something so we just stay home.

I finished my dil's hat to go with her scarf and gloves so will put them in the wash today and get them ready. I need to sew the buttons on her little slippers today to and then they are completely done. I can then wrap them and get ready to mail them in a couple weeks so they get there on time.

Susan: Thomas is one heck of a kid, that's for sure. He should be finding out soon what instrument he gets to play in the school band this fall. I was sorry to see he is quitting his piano lessons and he has finished his violin too and now is taking up a band instrument, he hopes alto sax. He should be way ahead of the other kids since he can already read music quite well and he learned the recorder this last year at school and the sax has the same fingering. Wow, I bet you are itching to create with your new machines. I would have a whole alphabet of names if I named all my knitting needles. Elizabeth is a fine refined name for a sewing machine. I agree with you about the dog. When we travel unless it is winter he is never left in the car. People are just fools. They could have gotten the Applebee's stuff to go and eaten in their car for heaven's sake if they didn't want fast food.

Maggie: Jack has replaced our garbage disposal twice since we moved in 11 years ago. This one currently is a heavy duty one and we have had it now several years. We haven't had a bit of problems with it. I think it is in insinkerator. Thomas has some cute cuff links and has a couple computer type ones that are really neat.

Jean: Holy cats, what an awful thing to happen. Nothing worse than water creeping into your house and being without electricity. Yes, I imagine Ernie was pretty peeved his area was under water. Fortune has this little fleece elephant and he will play fetch with it, but he always takes it by its trunk and just shakes the devil out of it. It is hilarious to watch.

Gail: How goes it my friend? I think doing a sleep study would be weird too. I know my sister did it because she is on c-pap because of it. Recreational shopping, huh? I don't think I ever heard it called that before.

Well ladies I want to get off before the storms hit and I need to balance my checkbook online and do a couple other things. Have a good day today and stay cool and dry if you can. Faye
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #9  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning!

Donna, oh yeah...recreational shopping! I hear "they" are thinking about a whole different kind of category for it in the Olympics! Winter or Summer Olympics! Our sky is so dark here in Delaware. We are going to be hit with a storm really soon. I am impressed with Thomas and all the different instruments he can play! Wow. My oldest grandaughter who is 11 just started playing the violin this past school year. She loves it. A lot of times we don't have a cookout celebrating the 4th of July on the actual day. This year, my oldest daughter and her family are going out of town to Connecticut. I talked to my youngest daughter and she may be over Saturday and Monday evenings. I think we're not going to cook outside on the grill this year but have shrimp instead. Don't know what we're having the other night she's over. Everything is pretty much laid back and up in the air. We used to go watch fireworks but we've discovered we can watch fireworks right from our back deck and listen to music coming from the clubhouse across the fairway. Nice.

Susan, I love it that you named your sewing machine! That sleep study thing was the most strangest thing I've ever done in my life! I can't wait to hear about the results. Honestly, I don't think I have sleep apnea. Because I respect my family doctor and he ordered this test I did it. But it was strange. I told Wayne I should've had them take a picture of me on my smart phone. Not sure I would have posted it though!

Maggie, there are a lot of foods I don't like having in the house. Too tempting. I'm getting stronger about controlling my "passion" for certain foods but why tempt myself. My biggest downfall is vanilla ice cream. THAT only comes into the house with a bunch of people coming over.

Jean, sounds like you had a mess! Bless your heart! My FIL is doing so much better. Since Sunday, he's showed a remarkable improvement. He really wants to be home but he is coming back home with me on Thursday after he sees his doctors. I just wish he would wear his hearing aids! I told him it makes me feel badly repeating myself and yelling at him so he can hear me and then he only gets 50% of what I'm (or anyone else for that matter) saying. I think he will be staying another two weeks.

Well, I need to do a load of wash, run the vacuum, etc. Y'all take care!
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful sunny morning in my neighborhood with NO wind nor breeze for a nice change. I've been to get a haircut, changed my front entrance garden flag to a flowers/flag one for the 4th, and picked up quite a few of the smaller twiggy type branches in the front yard. The tree cutters did cut down the major branches yesterday and assume they will come back to grind them when things settle down around here. We have a dead tree in the back yard that will come down sometime when they have nothing else to do. The parks around the lake are flooded, and that is where the 4th activities all take place. I haven't heard of a Plan B yet, but we won't be here anyway. I'm finally getting ahead of the basement mess and have lots I found that is going to the SOS store, Good Will, or garbage. Why I saved some of this stuff is a mystery to me!

Maggie -- I hate it when I see dogs left in cars during the warmer months. I know I get warm just waiting for Bob to run in and out after one item, let alone waiting for him to order, wait, and eat a meal. How dumb! on the maintain -- better than a gain any time and especially so when you thought you had done some damage. Did I read that you don't like the pig tail corn holders?

Susan -- Thanks for sharing the sewing machine link. You definitely have the Cadillac of the quilting machines! Now, will that machine do just plain sewing if you wanted to make clothing w/o the quilting? I know you will enjoy using it and I am so happy for you!

"Gma" -- I know how proud you are of Thomas and his accomplishments! I am surprised that he is giving up the piano and violin lessons but know how busy the kids get the older they are. He will do well in band I'm sure. I've often wondered why dogs shake their toys so hard, as if it is their enemy and they're going to kill it! Bob (the Great Dane that Will had) would demolish the toy to get the squeaker out and then shake it until it was in tiny pieces. Fred (their current dog, a beagle) is too lazy (dumb)! He doesn't get excited about anything except food.

Gail -- I like the idea of recreational shopping except that I can never find whatever I think I need for a specific occasion. I find most of my clothes when I'm not really looking for anything. Our 4th is usually pretty tame; we are at the lake but the tourists take over that lake and it's way too busy for the "locals" to take a chance on getting out. The kids like to watch the fireworks from the boat and that makes me really nervous because of all the drunks that are out there too. Jason is very careful and comes home along the shoreline slowly but accidents still happen. My mil wouldn't wear her hearing aids either. Her son "helped" her get them in AZ and I think they were cheap, over the counter, one size fits all kind.

I need to clear off the kitchen counter and make a grocery list for the 4th. I know we will be at the lake but not sure when we will go up. Our new minister's first Sunday will be the 3rd so may go up after church. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright sunshiney day here in the Heartland. I got a notice from the Weather folks that there has been a revision in our forecast. Tomorrow they say it will be 106, Thursday 110 and Friday 100 then in the high 90's through Monday. I have changed the name of this area of the country to the "Heatland." Gracious sakes it has officially moved into summer. This is awfully early to be this hot. Wonder if later when it usually gets hot if it will be hotter. It will be what it will be. I am so excited. Our new dresser was just delivered today and it fits nicely in the room. We have got to get a dresser scarf to protect the top before we set anything on it though. Maybe a nice piece of clear glass would be good. Now I get to transfer all my stuff into it. I have decided to make a Tiffany lamp to set on the it. I have now to decide what design I want to make. My catalogue has lots of shade patterns to choose from. First I need to figure out what size I want it to be. I have never made one and it will be all about gathering up all the forms etc that I will need. I told Will that we didn't really need to make the bed every day or pick up our clothes or keep that room neat and he glared at me. "Well," I said, "we get the room all nice looking and then shut the door." He laughed at me when he realized I wasn't searious or lost my noggin. We keep that door shut to keep the dogs from frolicking on the bed and tossing my pillows to and fro. I need to get busy and figure out what we are having for lunch for noon is coming quickly. Will is out in the yard doing something with those cabinets he is building for the museum. He just came in and I mentioned how nice it would be to have the lumber folks cut a nice piece of tempered glass for the top of the dresser. He liked that idea and is now measuring it.

DONNA FAYE Maybe Thomas will be a music teacher since he is so talented in learing all those instruments. What a kid with so much talent must be a joy. Batten down your hatches if that thunderstorm is hittin' you hard. Don't want to lose anything.

GAIL Your doctor is very thorough to have orderd that sleep thing. Hopefully they don't find anything that can't be medicated. Medicated, we do get so medicated now days. I know you will have fun with your daughter visiting those days. Recreational shopping is fun. Used to do that in Beverly Hills out in CA on the Left Coast. Yep those were spendy shops and fun to go into. Schwans has some great tasting good vanilla ice cream in various incriments of sf ff. Some sf and others just ff and some both sf and ff. And others in just low.

JEAN Those pig tail corn holders don't hold the corn very well. The end you stick in the corn isn't designed right in my thinking. But they pick up pickles and olives and such real well though. Besides they look great on a condiment dish. Fun design on the ends isn't it. You are getting in some exercise picking up those twigs in your yard for sure. Storms have a way of keeping trees trimmed. Natures way of pruning.

SUSAN What a wonderful machine it is you have. Quilters have so many nice things that our grandmothers didn't. Graceous sakes they made it all my hand. Every stitch. I am so happy for you! I totally believe in good tools. I had a top of the line Bernina with all the bells and whistles and the feet and attachments go go with it that could be had. But when we downsized into that motorhome it went by the wayside and I have a little machine that does what I need to do now. I used to sew a lot now I do glass.

OK now it is time for lunch. Type at y'all later.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #12  

Good evening, ladies! It was in the low 90s today but a storm is getting near and the temp is dropping.

I had to go to work today and then I went to get my driver's license replaced since DMV is on my way home. That was a good move. I was in and out in 10 minutes. I had a big envelope with all the proofs they wanted and the papers all filled out. The lady looked at my birth certificate and social security year end statement and gave me a slip to get my license. It wasn't at all like the horror people had told me. If you go in the morning, you are there for hours because every one goes then. I got there at 4 so it was pretty well caught up. Turns out you can renew your license if its within 6 months of expiring so I won't have to do that in October. $32 for 8 years isn't bad.

Jean, my machine does regular sewing, too. I quit making garments when it got to be cheaper to buy ready made. I've been thinking about Ernie getting his feet wet. Maybe you could build him a raft and keep it at the bottom of the stairs, or a bridge to his litter boc. LOL I'm glad you are getting it cleared up.

Faye, I played violin and cello in the symphony band and trombone and drums in the marching band. I still think about getting a piano and taking lessons but I don't think that will ever happen...it would cut into my quilting time.

Gail, it sounds like the end is in sight. Is your fil going to be able to live alone after all?

Maggie, have you seen the top of the line Bernia now...$19,000. My friend has one. It does embroidery and has a special attachment that makes it into a long arm quilting machine. Quilters have been machine quilting since the sewing machine was invented. I do mostly hand quilting and hand applique but if I want the quilt to be used a lot, I do it by machine. Even the amish are using machines (treadles) to piece.

Have a good evening - I see lightening so the computer needs to be turned off!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #13  

Good morning gals. It is really sticky her again this morning. I think we are going to go swimming this afternoon after Jack gets home from work and spend a bit of time with the grandson. He got new goggles for his birthday so he can test them out if he hasn't already. The kid is a fish in the water.

I am going to get upstairs and do a bit of housecleaning this morning. We had a storm roll through yesterday so I never got around to it. It got really black here and the wind howled through the trees. We didn't get near the rain I thought we would get but I expected the power to go out at any minute and it is quite dark upstairs so I didn't want to get caught with no lights.

I now have half of you ladies slippers done. They are really a fast knit. I am going to run out of yarn for my girlfriend's other sock so I put it aside to order more and have been working on the slippers. Oh, here is Alicia's scarf, hat and gloves for her birthday. The color makes them a bit hard to see but you get the idea.

Susan: I can now do my license online so I don't even have to go in. The last time I went I was there before they opened and so I was about 4th in line. They have closed several offices here so the lines can be awful. When Jack and I moved here and we went the first time we were there 4 hours!!! I know you are just going to love your new machine. I actually do pretty nice hand sewing, but my machine skills are nada.

Maggie: It is hot here again today to and looks like that is what we have to look forward to all summer. I just hope it stays warm for our Sept trip. We ended up changing hotels twice, once because of a snafu with that hotel and the one day free thing, then we did a reservation with the Radisson and I saw on trip advisor a woman who had been there just a couple weeks ago and they had bed bugs so I changed that right quick. I guess the hotel has really gone down hill and I didn't see the reviews before I booked it. The hotel we now have booked has rave reviews dating back to 2006. Out of 101 reviews, 92 were 4+ stars out of 5 and the cost is much cheaper than either the Hilton or Radisson would have been. Thomas already has made plans to go to Yale for college. He belongs to their FB page and has checked it out already! He is smart enough to get in there and he does so much charity work and such I imagine it wouldn't be hard for him to get in there. I think he will go the route of his father and do computer stuff. His dad is one smart cookie and is a security computer analyst for Fedex.

Jean: I used to love the 4th growing up. Our little town had a parade and then everyone spent the day at the park. They had food vendors or you could take a picnic, they had a band and the teens danced and then in the evening they had great fireworks. I don't know that they do it anymore. I do know they just had the potato creek festival and they redid all the sidewalks and put in new lighting and such before it so they say the town looks pretty spiffy.

Gail: I am so glad you fil is doing better for you as well as him. I imagine he wants to get back to his life even if dancing is a ways off. People like their independence no matter who they are. I am not a big shopper. I go to do something specific and am not a looky loo. My sister is the queen of shopping. She could shop for hours and used to drag me with her. I don't even yarn shop except online.

Well gals, I need to unload the dishwasher and get chores done and some breakfast in about an hour so guess I should get out of here. Have a great middle of the week! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aliciasbirthday.jpg (32.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! I am off to get my nails done in a few minutes and then need to work on putting stuff back in the bedroom and basement since they are dry again. I think there is a "smell" to the carpet and want to pull it out of the bedroom. We'll see, since it is a cement floor underneath it won't be pretty for awhile. It's supposed to get hot today but it's a beautiful morning right now.

Maggie -- It sounds like you are in for some HOT weather! I hope your air conditioner will keep you nice 'n cool. I love Tiffany lamps and have always wanted one, but I just don't have a good place for one right now. My knees and the back of my legs were sore last night and I couldn't figure out why. I was stiff this morning until I got moving and then remembered about picking up sticks yesterday.

Susan -- I hope the storm didn't materialize last night. You were smart to get your license later in the day; I'm glad you didn't have any trouble getting it. I think ours are good for 4 years; I know mine has to be renewed next year.

"Gma" -- I know you will look forward to swimming with Thomas later today. Bed bugs -- ! I'm glad you found a better place to stay in Branson. I remember the 4th as being so much fun as a kid. We do have a parade and what they call "artists" alley" where there are lots of items for sale by crafters, potters, wood workers, painters, etc. It's fun to look and I have bought things over the years. You are too funny with some of your sayings . . . love that "looky loo" . . . that's me! I'm sure Alicia will enjoy her winter ensemble; she'll look pretty sharp!

I'm off! I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy whatever you are doing today.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Hot Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It's gonna be a scortcher this day. Hope our garden survives this 106 degree day. Our corn is really looking good and we have marble sized watermellon. It is 85 as I type this morning. The "real" heat isn't supposed to hit till this evening around 6. Looks like the temperature is slowly rising. Beanie is opertunistic with everything in this house. I keep a bottle of water and my lip moisture tube on my night stand. He will deliver it to me in my office if I haven't put it in the basket on that table. Guess he thinks that it should be "with" me. Little scudder is just too smart. I had to put all the little things I like to keep on my table beside my chair in the front room in a closed container so he wouldn't frolic in them. He is just the noiseist little thing. Just has to know what we are doing. On line I found a nice looking hand crochet ecru color scarf that is 72 x 14 that I want to get for our new dresser top. That is long enough to leave 4 inches hang down on each end since the dresser top is 64 inches long. Hope they still have it when I get my "spending money" on the first. They only want $27.95 for it ~ such a deal. Meanwhile the scarf I put on it looks fine for now. If that one is sold by the time I am ready to buy it, I will surely find another. Hopefully. OH the dogs are knocking on the back door. I will be so thankful when that new screen door ~ storm door combo with the doggie door in it arrives and Will can install it. Beanie is in and out twice as much as Ragg Mopp is. I don't suppose they want to hang around out there in this heat. Yep they are glad for me to let them in.

DONNA FAYE Good thing you fround out about that place having bed bugs before you got there and had an experience with them. I shudder to think, just can't imagine. I understand lots of hotels have bed bug infestation. In NM we had a tarantula in the room but I like those things and so I just picked it up and put it outside. Used to have a pet one named Melanie. I know I am wierd. Isn't it a joy to have such smart kids in your family. Good geens. I played the flute and piano. Was also in Acappella Choir and in Pep Club and marched in all the local parades and at the Rose Bowl out in CA. Fun stuff for kids back then. And that is way back then.

JEAN Nice to be all dry now isn't it. Yeppers stooping and picking up the yard can make one stiff. Do you have a "pick up stick?" I have one here in my office and it sure saves me a lot of bending down. Valuable thing to have especially when I am cutting glass and some little pieces land on the floor. Will has one to pick up "stuff" in the yard that gets blown here. I think I have decided on which pattern to use on my Tiffinay lamp when I do it. The main cost is for the things to do it with. Once I have the things I need to make one the next one I make won't be such a $ outlay. All I will have to buy for the second one if it is the same size is the glass and hardware for the lamp and a new or different pattern. For instance if I want to make a bigger lamp then I need a bigger form. Hope that wasn't all Greek to you.

SUSAN That is a whopping lot of do re me to pay for that Bernina now days. Years have passed since I had mine and the price has sky rocketed. Well, I got a deal on mine though. The folks that owned the shop were dear friends of ours and I got mine for his cost when they closed up shop and moved out of state. Buying it that way sure saved me a whopping lot of money for the mark-up is horrendous. Such a deal. There are a lot of quilters across this country and elsewhere to keep those folks that sell the machines in business. Always something new comes along and some folks just have to have it and have the money to get it or don't mind going in hock for it. The machine folks will even let you make payments to them. If a person ever did recoup their outlay in products, they produced to pay for a machine that spendy, is questionable. All my glass tools have been paid for by my buildings, boxes and such that I have sold. When I am contracted to do a "big job" then I ask for some $ up front to seal the deal and help me buy the products to make what ever it is. Life is good. I have top of the line equipment to work with.

GAIL How goes it will you this day?

Have a great whats left of the day everyone. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-29-2011 at 12:30 PM.