3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups

Steel Magnolias #17

Old 04-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #16

Good morning to you ladies. It is with thunder and lightening this morning and the temperature dropped almost 20 degrees. It is supposed to rain most of the day today so I imagine Fortune will not be happy as he will not go out if the rain is coming down, but then who blames him? So it is puppy pads for sure today.

Some idgit called here at midnight last night waking me from a dead sleep. I fumbled around but dropped the phone so had to turn on lights and such which caused Fortune to then want to go outside, so I never went back to sleep until around 4am. I am a bit dopey this morning, but will grab a nap later.

We had a great meal at Red Lobster. I enjoyed the salad and cold shrimp. Do love the cold shrimp. There were three black ladies, at least in their 40's next to us as we were sitting in one of those table/booth/chair combos so they were fairly close. The one closest to me was total trash. She was at least my size, had fake blond hair to her waist, skin tight clothing on and what I always heard called a man's "driver" style hat. She sat the whole time discussing her sex life and what std's and such her man friends gave her. It was disgusting and filthy and her friend apologized to us when they left. She kept trying to get her to talk quietly, but even if you could, we were so close we would have continued to hear her. The problem was, there wasn't somewhere else I could sit so we were stuck. I kept trying to discuss vacation plans, etc anything with Jack to keep up a conversation on our end so we blocked out her mouth.

Susan: Have fun at your lock in. I think it is a great idea to take a big salad. I would thoroughly enjoy the salad. I like pizza but the sauce usually gives me heart burn so I don't eat it much so a salad would have been really nice to have as an alternative. I imagine since today is tax day, you will be really busy. I see that a lot of the post offices are not going to be open late this year because of budget cuts and such. I don't know why anyone mails the things in anymore since you can do them free online with turbo tax or go to a tax place and have them done for you.

Jean: I think your parishners will understand a day late newsletter for heaven's sake. The poor woman! When I was a kid, we used to go to Lake Michigan on weekends and you would always find dead fish in the sand either whole or parts. It was just one of those things. I miss the lake beach as it was really beautiful, but sitting in the sand looking out at the ocean was something you never get used to. For me, it always reminded me of the true majesty of God. You are away from home now more it seems than when you worked full time at the school!!!

Maggie: I was never a sun baby because my skin is so very fair I always, always got a sunburn and those were the days before sunscreens and such and you lathered on suntan lotion and cooked yourself. The smell of Hawaiian Tropic or even plain ole Coppertone makes me think of summer.

Well gals, I am going to get out of here and catch a couple more winks of sleep. Have a wonderful weekend. We get to fight the commissary crowds this weekend as it is military payday today. What fun!!! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #17

Good Morning, Flowers! The wind is still blowing and it is still raining in my corner of the world . . . a gloomy day that looks like winter is on the way rather than spring. The weatherman said there is a chance of snow tonight. I'm getting my nails done in a few minutes and then going to work in the church office. It shouldn't be too busy because usually everyone takes Friday off. I will need to get the Sat./Sun. bulletin ready but that doesn't take long.

"Gma" -- We used to always get phone calls in the middle of the night . . . and in a foreign language to boot! It sounds like we are having the same kind of weather today. No biscuit at RL? I'm sorry the gal sitting close to you was so rude, as there are some people have no clue at all! The senior pastor wants to hire a part-time office worker that would know how to do everything that the secretary does. I personally don't see that happening, but maybe someone would be willing to be responsible for the newsletter. There again, if only one person knows how to do the mailing part and happens to be gone or sick, that leaves the rest of us in the dark. It boggles my mind to think that one pastor will be expected to do what two are now doing. We haven't had much luck getting volunteers to step up in any area. Hope you get a nap in today!

It's time to get going so I'm off! Have a GREAT day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is somewhere in the 20's as I type and the wind is blowing. "They" say that we will be getting gusts up to 70MPH. Not fun. I opted out of going out to have my blood drawn this day ~ can do it Monday when it is calmer and warmer. Burr. Today I am going to make a loaf of sweet Focaccia (pronounced \fō-ˈkä-ch(ē-)ə\) bread to eat with some strawberries for dessert this evening. I will substitute Splenda® for the sugar called in the recipe to hold down the points. I have this lovely Focaccia cook book that was published way back in 1994 that is all about simple breads from the Italian oven by Carol Field. There are so many yummy variations in it I have not yet tried them all. Focaccia a bread that is only good for a couple days so if we don't eat it up I freeze it. It is great thawed later and toasted not to waste it. OH the wind is sure blowing hard out there. Makes me want to put on a sweater.

DONNA FAYE Ever thought of turning your phone off at night? What emergency could you take care in the middle of the night anyway. I hope your rain doesn't cause any flooding there. Hope you get in a power nap this day. Didn't you eat one of their yummy biscuits at RL? OH those are so good. I have the lightened recipe and am so thankful for it for they are good. I am not going to go to RL until I have lost 100 pounds. I know you aren't supposed to use food as a reward but I can order a good OP meal there even if I just have one of the biscuits. But since we have to go way far away to find a RL I have decided to wait. I was going to go on our way to Texas but it would have taken us way far out of the way so I opted to just wait and savor the thought. That is too bad your outing was highlighted by a rude person yacking. She needs to get a grip and a life both. Unfortunate you couldn't move to another table.

JEAN Sounds to me they do need to hire a person to do that work you have been volunteering to do. I bet if you quit they would have to hire someone. What color did you have put on your nails?

Have a lovely day folks ~ stay out of the wind and rain.

DOWN THE ROAD TO THIN
SUCCESS OCCURS WHEN OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION

REMEMBER THAT
A SETBACK IS ONLY A SETUP FOR A COMEBACK

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The wind is still blowing gusts up to 70 NPH and the highway near here has been closed. Guess it could just blow lite cars off the road and that wouldn't be good. I have my bread in the oven now. It has been iffy today to attempt to make bread for the electricity has been playing hop scotch here. It goes off then back on every once in awhile. It comes back on so quick it doesn't upset some of the houses settings. My bread machine didn't even stop when making the dough for when the electricty bliped it ignored it and just started where it left off. I always let it mix up the dough when I am making bread that I cook in the oven. It does such a good job of mixing it. I just have to take the dough out and let it rest for a few minutes before patting it out flat. Anyway enough about bread. Hope all is well with y'all. Break time is over and I need to get some work done.

Type at y'all later

DOWN THE ROAD TO THIN

REMEMBER THAT

Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #20

Maggie -- I could almost smell your bread as it baked. There is nothing like homemade bread imo! The pastor would like someone reliable to volunteer for different jobs in the office but that doesn't seem to be happening. At our Admn. Council last night someone suggested hiring a part-time person to learn everything that the secretary does. Well, that would be fine except if they are both gone we're still in a mess. Today I mentioned that I could certainly learn the job duties but when one doesn't do something for a long period of time, one forgets all the steps in the process. I couldn't eat at RL and pass up a biscuit.

I have slept the evening away in front of the tv and now I am heading off to bed! This volunteering every day makes me tired!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #21

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another gloomy windy day in my corner of the world, temperature was 32 degrees when I went downstairs earlier. At least it's not raining after an all day rain yesterday. The grass is really green! I'm hosting card club Monday night so have to clean and figure out some type of snack food. We will eat at a restaurant first so I don't feel I need to fix as much food.

The eagles are sitting in snow! The adult looks pretty ratty this morning.

I need to get a move on and get a few things crossed off my "to do" list. Have a super Saturday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a still sunny day with a temp of 51 here in the Heartland. I am so happy the wind quit. Surely I would have been one of the ones that went crazy during the dust bowl days. That must have been horrid to endure. When I got up there was no Will nor any dogs and the back gate is standing wide open. My guess is that when Will went to Wal*Mart and took them with him. Anyway that is my hope for he has done that before. He did tell me last night he was going to go there today and he does on occasion take the boys. That loaf of focaccia bread I made yesterday was good and not too sweet. It was great to have strawberries spooned on it. The strawberries are grown here in the US of A. I will be happy when I can get some out of our garden. I am determined to get them before the birds dine on them. I am going to boil a couple dozen eggs this day and use my grandmothers method. She made the best boiled eggs, that didn't crack, the old farm way.

HOW TO BOIL & SHELL EGGS
Poke a hole with a needle in the large end of the egg
Place eggs in a single layer in cold water to cover 1 inch
Bring to a boil over high heat
Remove from heat and cover
Let stand covered for 15 minutes
Drain
Run cold water over eggs
Place eggs in ice water
Peel off egg shell by starting at the big end

Now you know how to boil eggs ~ as if you didn't already know how. I had to dig out the recipe since I have been boiling eggs in my appliance for so long and haven't boiled them the old fashioned way.

JEAN Yep it snowed on the eagles nest. There are blobs of it on the camera lense so I can't take any good pictures yet this day. When I went there the babies were trying hard to not stay under her. They are getting very rambunctious lately and growing so fast. I know it is hard to not eat a biscuit at RL. Definitely a red light food for me there. And shame on them for they will keep bringing them to you ~ so you can eat lots of them. I had a friend once that didn't even belong to the church she worked as secretary for but was hired there because no one in the congregation wanted the job. It worked out fine for it was a job for her and she didn't miss a day of work. You folks might decide to just hire someone like that for they would be more reliable.

All y'all have a great day.

got to go boil some eggs. Type at y'all later

DOWN THE ROAD TO THIN

REMEMBER THAT

Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #23

Good morning gals. I didn't even get in here yesterday. Guess my mind was elsewhere all day, I don't know. It is cool here, so cool the furnace kicked on sometime this morning.

Around 4 am I got to go to the bathroom and heard this loud crack. I swear it had to be a gun shot and about 10 minutes later thought I heard another one farther away. The first one sounded like it was right outside the house practically. I listened but didn't hear any human voices, arguing or anything. I wasn't going to stick my head out that's for sure. Fortune wanted to go out, but I told him no and made him get back into the recliner with me as I had come downstairs. Luckily, he didn't fuss about it and went back to sleep. I still have no idea what it was and never heard any more nor police or anything. Our area has a lot of gang trouble sometimes and since we have large black and hispanic groups right around where we live, it could have been anything.

Jean: Hope your nails are all pretty now. I saw an advertisement here locally and the girl had her acryllic nails done all like Easter eggs. They actually were quite cute. I am not a big bread eater most of the time, have to be in the mood. I had about half of one of their biscuits. I have the recipe for them actually and have even made the ww friendly version once. I have this cookbook that is all copycatted restaurant stuff like Olive Garden's salad dressing, and stuff like that. I also go to copykat.com and you can get loads of restaurant food recipes there. Is the family going to all try and get together next Sunday or at least the weekend sometime? I noticed Jackson's Easter basket will be delivered to him tomorrow and Thomas's stuff on Tuesday. Kelly doesn't get into town until Friday but we usually at least have breakfast together on Easter Sunday. I haven't talked to them in quite awhile, not since we went to Indiana for the funeral.

Maggie: I use that method for eggs except I let them stand covered 20 minutes instead of 15, then drain and put in an ice water bath. I find the ice water bath does the trick to peeling them most of the time. I also salt the water they cook in. I was told and don't know if this is true or bologna that the fresher the egg the harder it is to peel. No clue about that one. Most of the time, using that method I don't have trouble and sure hope they are fresh anyway!

Well this morning is commissary day and it will be nuts. We didn't want to go yesterday because military payday was on Friday and with the budget thingy we thought some folks checks might not have ended up in their bank until Saturday morning and the grocery store would be packed. I imagine it will be that way again today and the end of the month will be worse because it is military and retired military payday and whatever ss folks get their checks then.

I have started the socks for my girlfriend. They are kind of cute. I am making them pink and blue striped on the leg, then the heel and toe will be pink and the foot blue. I am just going to keep that other yarn for something else. Her birthday is only a month away now so have to get clacking on them. I did buy her this cute set of salt and pepper shakers to go with it. They are of Snoopy and Charlie Brown. She loved "Peanuts" when we hung out together in junior high so I thought it might take her back. Seems funny we have been friends for over 40 years now.

Well gals, I need to get going. Commissary opens at 10 and we want to get showered and dressed and get a bite to eat first. Have a wonderful Palm Sunday. Faye
Old 04-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #24

Good Morning, Flowers! I've been to early church (lots more people today so hope there is more $$ tomorrow), stopped at Walgreen's, and now need to decide on food for card club tomorrow night. Think I will hit the grocery store in the morning hoping fruits and veggies will be fresher. Bob is singing today so won't see him until after noon since their part is the last thing in the service.

In our Sunday paper there is an article about what % different food items have gone up. I didn't take time to read it before I left for church but Bob was reading parts of it to me. It seems like every time I go to the store the prices have gone up from the previous time.

Maggie -- I've never heard of poking a hole in the egg shell before boiling the egg. I do use cold water, boil them for 10 minutes, let them sit in the hot water another 10 minutes, then run cold water over them for a few seconds. I just tap the shell with a knife and they peel easily. Our church secretary has quite a few stress challenges that she is dealing with right now: recently her parents unexpectedly died within 6 months of each other, her brother lives on the family farm and demanded that all the ground be sold immediately as well as the house in town where the parents had lived for several years, her daughter is engaged but the SO works on windmills anywhere between Maine and Hawaii so the daughter (and baby) have moved back here, she has a nephew living with them while he goes to the junior college here in town, as well as her full time job which is not a piece of cake on any given day. We have a fairly large church where the members are getting older and some need more attention; we used to have two "almost" full time office volunteers who have both died but not been replaced. Since we are losing the associate pastor position, they are hoping to hire a part-time retired minister, who can also help with the office duties as needed.

"Gma" -- I hope your trip to the commissary went smoothly this morning. I found some little girl nails decorated with Easter eggs for Maddy and Zowie. The boys are getting Easter tattoos. We have rented rooms at the water park hotel for the kids next weekend. Kolby's birthday is the 19th and Beth's is on Easter so thought that would be fun for them. They will be here Saturday night for Kolby's birthday and Sunday for the Easter Bunny doings. I'm not sure if I will cook on Sunday or we may do the brunch at the hotel, before or after church.

I need to mop my kitchen floor and work on my "to do before tomorrow night" list. Have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #25

Durn, I forgot something this morning! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GLORIA!!!!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #26

Good afternoon, ladies! A love day in the high 60s today.

We had terrible storms and tornados yesterday evening. Houses in 4 different areas were leveled, the backside and roof of a school were torn off, and lots of trees down and flooding. It didn't last long but it sure did the damage.

Only one more day of tax season and I'm ready for it to be over. I'm working from 9 until 9 tomorrow. I haven't done much today but laundry and making quilt blocks. When I went to WW yesterday, I was 150.2 so almost there. Heaven only knows how long it will take to lose that last .2. I bought a new cookbook there, too, "Fresh, Fabulous, Fast" and I'm making Beef and Mushroom Ragu with Polenta for dinner tonight. Tomorrow I'll try one of the chicken recipes.

Maggie, I make my eggs the same way but I don't poke a hole in them. I've never had a problem with them cracking or anything. I use low heat, too, because I can't stand it if the yolks get that green around them.

Jean, the kids will sure love their birthday treat. They'll have so much to tell you when they see you on Easter.

Faye, I know the boys will love their Easter treats. My reward for finally getting to my goal weight is going to be a manicure and pedicure.

Well, the dryer calleth. Have a great rest of the day.

HW 356 pounds - CW 138 - GW 130

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Forget Yesterday. I am, where I am. I know where I could have been, had I done what I did not do. Tell me, Friend, what I can do today, to be where I want to be tomorrow. - Sigrad
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #27
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a nice day here in the neighborhood. 72 with the sun shining makes if feel like planting. But still a bit early. We had pot-luck today at church and I ate sensible. There is a young man that is a sophomore in high school that is taking “home ec” and has learned to make pies. Excellent pies in fact. His crust is melt in the mouth kind. He made a cherry pie to bring and I had a sliver of it and am quite impressed in his ability. I think I will encourage him to become a chef . I still have enough points+ to have a good WW friendly meal at Applebees this evening after services. I am so thankful for their marking the menus there with the WW logo and tell the points+ value of the dish. There is a big space between the window in my office and the one in Wills office when you look at the house from outside front yard facing the street. We have decided to put a large decorative trellises’ out there and plant a climbing rose to fill the area somewhat and make it better to look at. That is a plan and we are going to do it soon. My eggs were too fresh to peel easy but they were sure tasty. There was only one half left and one of the guys scooped it up quickly.

DONNA FAYE Do the police always respond there when there is gun shots heard? I imagine they are kept quite busy in that part of beautiful TN. What you heard about fresh eggs being harder to peel is the truth. Next time I do this recipe I am not using Egglands eggs for they are always very fresh unless I plan ahead for it. It is recommended that if your eggs are real fresh to buy them a week ahead of time. Which I didn't do. I tried every method of peeling an egg that I know of and none worked but the eggs weren't too mangled up to be eaten with gusto.

JEAN There are water spots on the lens again today. Hopefully they will find someone to work in your church office that will be satisfactory.

SUSAN They say that when you over cook your boiled eggs is when you get that greenish gray ring around the yolk. Least wise that is what BH and aunt Betty say and they are the experts. An egg needle came with my electric egg cooker & they recommend to use it so the eggs don't crack by poking a hole in the big end. I have never had an egg crack since doing that. My grandmother always used a sewing needle for that. She also taught me to make decorative boiled eggs. After they are boiled ~ crack the shell all around and place them in a pot of strong tea. The tea seeps in at the cracks and decorates the egg. So when you take the shell off you have a tea decorated boiled egg.

Have a great day Magnolias This is the day that the Lord Hath Made, rejoice and be glad in it.

DOWN THE ROAD TO THIN

REMEMBER THAT

Last edited by Maggie : 04-17-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #28
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I have a question to ask:

SUSAN That book you mentioned buying ~ I couldn't find it on the WW website but I found "Fast Fresh & Fabulous" by Janelle Bloom. Is that the same book you were talking about buying at WW?

DOWN THE ROAD TO THIN

REMEMBER THAT

Old 04-18-2011, 02:31 PM   #29
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

WOW I can't believe I am the first to post this day. Hello out there. Must be a happening! Hope everyone is fine and nothing untoward is happening in your lives. It is a bright sunny day here in the Heartland with a springtime degree in the high 50's. I went to have my blood dwawn this day and the gal informed me that if I come back the first week of May that it will cost much less to have it done. Since I have to pay out of pocket of it until July that sounded like a good deal to me. They pick a week out of each month to give those of us that don't have any insurance a break. So to have the blood work that costs in the 70's I can get it done in the 20's. I will go back in May for sure. It was easy to just change my docs appointment so I will have the results to take to her in the middle of May. My mameogram results are in and they couldn't find anything unusual in them so I am good for another go round on a later time. Life is good. We went out to eat breakfast at I-hop afterward and I ate OP and didn't kill my whole day which is easy at that place to do. I have yet to figure what I am making for dinner this day so I will do that when I get off of here. I'll go shopping in my freezer for ideas.

Everyone have a lovely day. Type at y'all later.

DOWN THE ROAD TO THIN

REMEMBER THAT

Old 04-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #30
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Here I am. Again. Life has been crazy since I last posted. And when was that?! I've been down to Va. Beach. Then when we returned home, all of a sudden...after months and months of the telephone not ringing...calls started coming in from a lot of companies wanting Wayne to interview! Or take a test. Or a phone interview. AND it looked like I was spending all of my days submitting applications with different kinds of resumes (to suit the job description). And you know who was typing? And you know who was doing the inputting of info on on-line applications? That's right. Me. But I was happy to do it because goodness gracious we all know that Wayne needs to go back to work. Good news: WAYNE HAS A JOB! He started today!! Last Friday one HR person phoned Wayne and told him if this job didn't work out for him to phone him first and he'll hired him...with more money! Wayne had accepted the other job first and he gave his word. Besides I like the job Wayne accepted as the place is extreeeeeemely clean and the other is a steel mill. Need I say more?

Weight-wise I've been holding my own and I've been fine with that. But now it's time to lose more. I'm ready.

Anyway, here I am. Again. I hope to get on some kind of routine for posting in the mornings. Yeah...I know it's afternoon now. And like usual, I have to catch up on my reading. But I did skim and I have one thing to say to Donna Faye, good for you for speaking up about military families. I was livid when we thought that our federal government was going to close....and the troops and their families were not going to get a paycheck but...wait...those senators were still going to get paid!

I'll be back.

GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.