3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #16 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/229830-steel-magnolias-16-a.html)

gma22 04-05-2011 08:05 AM

Steel Magnolias #16

Good morning! It went from near 80 to 48 degrees in just a couple hours yesterday and is around 40 at the moment. It is no wonder everyone has colds and such again this year.

Jack had an argument with the rent a cop at the base yesterday and I don't disagree with him. First off the ID office is naturally not open on Sunday and my ID expired at midnight on Sunday. The guy confiscated my ID and Jack didn't want him to keep it saying it has Jack's SS# on it and anyone could steal his identity that way. The guy said he had to confiscated it and they went round and round with Jack wanting the guy to cut it up in front of him, which the guy wouldn't do. Anyway, round 1 to rent a cop. He then made it known in the ID office and the guy there said they bring them to him once a week and he shreds them all. I then spoke up and said, "Yes, I understand that but we can't be sure how they are kept safe until then. Do they throw them in a box somewhere or what?" He of course didn't know. Thing is, technically the ID's belong to the federal government not us but I am like Jack that I don't like the thing just blowing in the wind. Anyway, got my ugly ID and not have a current one for another 4 years.

Jean: I have a bit of astigmatism, but not enough they have to treat for it. I really really like the bifocal contacts, though, I still put my reading glasses on from time to time to read print that is really really small or if I am in a dark restaurant it helps me read a menu. I have problems reading when the light is really bad these days. I think it is my biggest problem. Glad you finally got your church money sorted out so you could go on to other things.

I went off the reservation food wise and fixed Jack a good ole southern fried chicken meal. I make a seriously good fried chicken and I fixed mashed potatoes and gravy and rolls so he will have to walk it all off today. I tried to temper what I ate, one roll, 2 bites of potato I ate a leg and the wing, since Jack won't eat the wings ever. It was really tasty and I guess a big treat is ok once in awhile. Right now I am trying to stay even as my bp med is keeping me from losing weight. I hate to go another round with another med, but this stuff is notorious for leg, feet and hand edema and I noticed my hands are now swelling along with the feet and legs. I am having trouble walking because on some days it is really bad and I am about done with it. I have talked to 3 nurses, a doctor and my dil the pharmacist and they all tell me the same thing, Norvasc is notorious for swelling and though harmless can be uncomfortable. My problem is the more water I drink the more the Norvasc seems to retain water. I take a bp diuretic so I urinate a lot, but the Norvasc seems to keep the water in past that so I am not losing weight. I imagine when they change it I will drop 20 lbs just from the water.

Today I am just hanging around the house. Jack had MLK memorial day off yesterday so he is back to work today, but will take of Thursday as he has to clean out his colon for his colonoscopy on Friday so he will have a short work week.

Everyone have a good Tuesday! Keep warm and dry.

Maggie: Hope you are having a nice time.
Gloria: We miss hearing from you!
Gail: Hope all is going well for you this week
Susan: Hope to see you in here sometime this week to talk about your retreat!

Faye

Jean 04-05-2011 03:38 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and the wind has calmed down to a gentle breeze. It's not terribly warm but better than snow by a long shot. I spent the morning helping the gift shop buyer mark and display new items. I didn't sell anything but guess it has been slow the last month. I need to call the oral surgeon and have a chat about my tooth. I've crossed a few things off my "to do" list but have lots more I could be doing. It seems once I've been gone from home it's hard to get busy when I get home again. :spin:

"Gma" -- I wouldn't want my ID just laying around for anyone to take either. I hope that someone will check into what happens to the ones they take at the gate. I have been eating my yogurt, per instructions, but eat it with popcorn, cereal, chips, or anything crunchy. I'm sure that's not helping my program any but that's the way it goes. :rolleyes: I thought MLK day was in January or February, no?

Well, I need to change clothes and get busy. Have a nice rest of the day and evening! :D

Jean -- :wave: from Iowa!

gma22 04-06-2011 08:15 AM

Good morning to you ladies! Seems Jean and I are just talking to each other at the moment though as everyone seems to be busy or traveling and such. It has warmed back up here a bit and should be cool but a nice sunny day today. It is supposed to be back in the 80's by this weekend though.

Yesterday was a do nothing day for me. I did cook supper, oh and I spent a couple hours trying to fix my computer. It went wonky on me (and it is new so shouldn't be doing that) and poor Jack spent all evening fixing it. I had looked at a knitting pattern that had what Jack called a "rider" trojan virus to it that my McAfee program didn't catch. Jack says most of the virus programs tend to not catch stuff like this and I wonder what good they are then, but I digress. Anyway, it stripped my internet explorer completely and kept throwing up messages on my computer about all these viruses on my computer and such and then wanted me to purchase their program. Jack finally got it removed, reinstalled IE and all is ok now. I did run a complete scan of my computer and we did both the McAfee and the Microsoft Defender program and came up clean. It seems to be fine now, but what a mess. Thing is, you cannot prevent one of these "rider" things I guess. You have no idea that it is there until too late. If I am googling something I automatically stay away from sites that my computer highlights as having possible ad, spy or malware but this didn't have anything and was just a knitting pattern. So much for that. I can't even go back and tell the site it has this thing on it's webpage. I plan on telling the other places I belong to that have discussion pages and such to stay clear of it though. Best I can do to help someone out.

Jean: Ok, here is the lowdown on the holiday on Monday. It is not a national holiday only a city employee holiday. Back when MLK was assassinated here, he showed up here to support the garbage haulers strike. So out of guilt, or whatever, the city gives city employees a holiday on the day he was shot, which was on Monday the 4th. One of the things that gripes me about this is that the current mayor is trying to force the employees to take one day a month off without pay to pay back the county school system for a suit the city schools lost to them. It is like 57 million dollars and he is cutting all kinds of stuff. So, they get a day off with pay to placate the blacks in this city for the injustice to their leader, but then they turn around and expect the employees to go a day without pay because the previous corrupt, and black I might add mayor fooled with the budgeting of the schools. See we have a mess here with that too. We have a Memphis city school Corp and a Shelby county school corp. Anyone living in the suburbs goes to county schools and anyone in the city limits goes to the city schools. The county schools if I understand it right were supposed to be given a certain amount of money out of the city school budget every year and the last mayor wasn't doing that until the county schools sued and won and now the city owes the county this huge amount of money we can't pay so the new mayor (who btw, went from being the county mayor to our city mayor and is black) now wants to cut the rug out from under the employees to get the money. He is fooling with retirement pensions too trying to change the age at which you can retire. Right now the system is your age plus the number of years you have worked for the city added together have to be at least 75 so for example, Jack is 61 and to retire he has had to have worked for the city at least 14 years to retire. What the mayor is trying to pass is requiring the employees to work more years before they can retire AND no one can work for the city longer than I think 35 years before they have to quit. That means that someone who went to work for the city right out of high school would have to quit when they were 53 and if the mayor had raised the retirement age means those people wouldn't get a pension even though they worked for the city and put into the pension fund 35 years!!! Scumbag way of doing things. Jack is right on the line because if they don't pass this new retirement thing until after August 8 then he will be grandfathered in, if not, he may end up having to work past when he wanted to retire, which is 4 years. Just keep your fingers crossed he won't get the city council support to pass this, but I am not hopeful.

I think I am going to call the AC guy and ask him if he can come look at the AC and give us an estimate on Good Friday as Jack has the day off. I would like Jack to be here when he looks at it, though I do trust this guy. He actually finally was the one who figured out what was wrong next door and then the landlord put a kabosh on them using their washer until it was fixed. They have to be going to the laundromat because I haven't heard it or the dryer on once since then. All I care about is no more leaking. I would like them to move, but who knows what you would get in there next. The thing is, I know that condo doesn't rent cheap and he does a big background check and such so why we keep having crazy neighbors is beyond me, though I have found renters even ones renting high priced stuff tend to be jerks. We always took care of property we rented, but most people could care less. I take it you are not a fan of yogurt??? I like it, but don't eat it all the time.

Well enough blabbing from me. I am going to get some chores done, get the laundry in the dryer and start my day. Faye

Jean 04-06-2011 09:55 AM

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly again this morning, NO wind, and it is supposed to hit 60 degrees today! :cheer: I am home for the day unless I decide to go get a cucumber for my salad lunch. I have bell practice at 5 and Bob has Easter choir practice at 6. I did call the oral surgeon and have an appointment for May 17th. There are two who come here from Sioux City so that will save me a lot of travel time.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about your computer going "wonky." That is a new word for me! :lol: I've had both Norton and McAfee on my old computer, both let viruses in. Now I have CA Technologies, which is what came on this computer, and have never had a virus since. It gives me warnings of unsafe sites and filters through emails when they come in. You are lucky Jack knows how to fix the glitches -- I have NO clue and neither does Bob. It sounds like your government offices could use some house cleaning. :yes: I don't know if it has gone through but Iowa wanted to raise the teacher retirement benefit from age 88 to 92; that is years of teaching plus age. I haven't heard one teacher who thinks that is a good idea. I hope your AC repair won't be too costly for you. You really can't live without it during the summer months.

I'm going to do some more clothes sorting -- found a pair of slacks I thought I could wear yesterday and they are now in the "to go" box!

Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy the day! :D

gma22 04-06-2011 11:43 AM

Brother, I just read an article of our local paper that says that idiot in the Mayor's office is trying to push through more cuts to employees. He wants to cut their days off from what they are now to only 2 days. I mean, cripes, what other place do they only get two days off. I can accept not having what I call minor holidays like presidents day and such, but he is talking about giving them Christmas Day and Thanksgiving day and making them work, take vacation time or going unpaid for 4th of July, Memorial Day, LABOR DAY, etc, etc. He also wants to layoff 200 employees. Luckily, Jack is senior in his position and they have to have at least 2 control techs for each waste water treatment plant so the likelihood of that is very slim for Jack. If they would strong arm the jerks that owes thousands in parking tickets, cut out some of the dumb positions created by the last dirt bag mayor, make people pay their stupid property taxes they could save the employees from having to take the brunt of it all. It seems all his cuts are from the employees end, which isn't right IMO.:mad::mad:

Susan: We are hoping you are still on retreat as we have not heard from you. We hope it isn't because you are ill again.

Maggie 04-06-2011 12:06 PM

Wonderful Wednesday Aka: Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

It is a windy day here in the heartland. The dogs are back not the worse for ware and happy to see us. We cut our trip short because our friend wasn't feeling well after an accident at work gave him a bit of a concussion and several stitches in his head. He is a fireman. And plus his wife who is a nurse was in another state geting some upgraded training. So we just made a quick rip of it taking back roads that were in great condition and having a great time of it. Our state here is still brown but OK and TX are nice and green already. When spring gets here we should have some green also. :D

DONNA FAYE What that mayor is doing will be happening a lot sad to say for towns are broke. Town managers are getting caught in their mis deeds and it is the folks that suffer for it.

JEAN I sent you an email about my Schwans favorites. It is not the whole list of what I buy but what I like to have on hand since you do have limited space. I am so thankful we have that big upright freezer which is easy to see what lurkes inside by the way it is built. Our side by side fridge doesn't have much of a freezer. I do have little baskets with small things in there which are good to keep handy. Like my smoothie fruit which I will be using a lot of now that the weater is getting warmer.

Looks like I need to do some reading of the thread ~ gone a couple days no telling what I may have missed. :p Have a great day y'all. :wave:

Jean 04-06-2011 02:27 PM

"Gma" -- I don't understand how vacation time hours and PTO work because I've never had a job where I had certain set vacation time. Beth has tried to explain her's to me and it is too confusing for me! :?: She keeps close track though because whatever department is in charge of that, is rather lax. There is always a long list of unpaid property tax names in the paper. Some of the names are "prominent" people with lots of rental property.

Maggie -- Welcome home! You did have a fast trip! I'm sure your furry children were glad to see you. :yes: Thank you for sharing the Schwans list. I kind of hate to have the guy get his hopes up because I don't have the freezer space. I used to buy quite a bit when we had a freezer and the kids were home; we've had several different drivers since then. There are many nights when it is 9:00 and the truck is still in town. They used to park in areas around town and we go to them, but I haven't seen that for a long time.

Maggie 04-06-2011 03:41 PM

Back To Yack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :wave:

JEAN Have you thought about getting a freezer since the price of things are creeping up so you could by when things are lower? Even though there are just the two of us I am so thankful we have ours for we buy when things are on sale and have a place to store them. Like we knew the price of coffee was going to go up so we bought a few bags of our favorite beans. Plus we can freeze some of our produce out of the garden. And when we purchase a half or quarter beef we have a place for it to be stored. That's just a few reasons why we have a freezer. :p Our Schwans man comes every two weeks like clockwork. I order on line so he has the products on his truck for us.:o Plus the good icecream that fits into program.:cool:

gma22 04-07-2011 09:34 AM

Good morning ladies! Quick peek in this morning as we are trying to get things done with Jack being home today. His contacts are in, he wants to get a haircut and we are trying to get some house chores finished up.

Jean: The city starts you out at a week's vacation and you add one day every year until a certain point, then you get two days, every year until you reach 25 years in and then you get a big lump of vacation from them on. Holidays are another thing. I don't know why they can't just cut out Presidents' Day, MLK day, his memorial day, Veteran's day even and leave Labor Day, Memorial Day, the 4th and Christmas and Thanksgiving like everyone else who works and gets holiday pay gets, but no he has to cut the legs out from everybody. He is trying to slash the teachers by a huge amount and basically doubling high school and middle school class size. I just thank goodness that Thomas is super smart and isn't a kid who needs help with school, but I pity the children who do and in this town there are a lot of them. How is Bob liking his new glasses?

Maggie: Sorry you had to cut your trip a bit short. Hope your friend heals up well and feels better. I am sure the doggies are glad to see you.

Well gals, just wanted you to know I am still hanging in there! :lol: Have a good day today all. faye

QuilterInVA 04-07-2011 11:13 AM

Good morning, ladies - A lovely day in the 60s.

I got home from retreat late yesterday. We all had a wonderful time and begged the lady who organizes them into doing another for us in September so I'll have 3 retreats at Wakefield this year. The setting is lovely being out in the woods on a lake. The geese are setting on eggs and carry on like crazy whenever anyone goes in or out because they decided to build a nest right by the door. The egrets are back and Sunday it was quite warm so we sat out on the deck in the evening and watched the wild life. There were 2 squirrels who were trying play tag and it was hilarious! Too much of that good, country-cooking food. I finished a pieced quilt and worked on another as well as doing some applique. We talked much, carried on like school girls, and helped each other. What could be better?

It's going to take me awhile to go back and read all your posts. I have both jobs today, quilt guild tomorrow morning and work tomorrow afternoon - evening so my posts will be short for a few days.

Maggie 04-07-2011 12:08 PM

Titilating Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

It is a 53 degree day as I type and still ~ how nice. Not much on my plate to do this day except I could figure a menu for the rest of the week and finish up a glass building if I am so inclined. We sure are wanting to get out there and do something with the veggie garden but it is still too early. I have three good grow lights I could start some seeds here in the house. Yep I think that is a plan worth investigating. My spider plant is sure putting out the new runners so it thinks it is springtime. We have it hanging in front of the big pictue window in the front room. Beanie wants it so bad and when he jumps at it he can't quite reach it. Hopefully when it grows more and he could reach it he will be out of the notion. We have it as high to the ceiling that we can right now. The one I had out in CA was so big it did grow clear down to the floor.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you have your day all mapped out for you. I imagine with the work Jack does he is best to get contacts. I used to have some that were the far and near kind. One eye for far and the other for near and they gave me migrains so I tossed them. I am not a good candidate for contacts.:p I have reading glasses all over the house. Still no wet carpet in your bathroom? Must have worked for them being told strongly by the owner.

SUSAN OH what a lovely time you had. Out there with nature and enjoying every minute with your quilting buddies.

JEAN Did you get the email with pics of that 3rd egg hatching? Now there are three mouths to feed.:D

Well Magnolias I am going to go do something advantageous. :wave: Have a lovely day.

Jean 04-07-2011 03:17 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I was here earlier then the Schwans man interrupted me, and I never got back here. Went to WW and opted not to weigh in as I've eaten everything that's crunchy and loose as long as I've been on the antibiotic and choking down yogurt. :( My scale said I was "up" big time. *groan* We are going to make a quick run to Sioux City later this afternoon. I need to renew our SAMs Club membership so the kids' cards will work. I tried to do it online or over the phone because the account is in Bob's name not mine, so no can do. We always use my card so I was disgusted and :mad: .

Maggie -- We used to have a small upright freezer -- that's where we kept Tom the winter he died and the ground was frozen. :o With the kids gone we just didn't use it as much so opted for a second refrigerator. The Schwans man did come this morning and I ordered the boneless, skinless chicken and onion rings that Bob thought looked so good in the picture. I wanted the pork loin chops but he didn't have any on the truck. Our neighbor has been getting his garden ready to plant. He was digging up little piles of dirt and Bob thought maybe he was planting potatoes. :dunno: I have a spider plant and the ends of the leaves have turned brown. I need to replant it -- have had it a few years and it never had babies. I just watched the baby eagles eat; one was kind of picking on the other one and when I checked again only saw two little open mouths. I hope the last little one makes it!

"Gma" -- Bob hasn't gotten his new lenses yet. They said it would take about a week for them to get here. It will be interesting to see if the government does shut down. The thing is that will just punish the general public while the politicians will still get their $$ and benefits. :tantrum: An Iowa teacher just lost her job (don't know if she resigned or was fired) because she defended herself against a special ed. student who attacked her. She grabbed the kid and sat him on the floor; he had bruises on his arms while she had a cut on her face which required stitches. It is definitely not the middle bracket students who are getting the extra help in school that's for sure. It won't be long and there won't be a middle income, it will be the rich vs. the poor. :hyper:

Susan -- We are so glad to see you back with us! :cp: I couldn't remember how long you were going to be gone. :o It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I have a squirrel who is losing his fur! He looks pretty silly and I feel so sorry for him. The other squirrels chase him off, but when they leave he will come back to eat. You are a busy gal with your jobs and quilting! When is your tax job finished?

Our sunshine has disappeared so guess the 90% chance of rain might happen after all. Hope you all are having a terrific Thursday! :D

Maggie 04-07-2011 04:50 PM

Back To Yack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :wave:

We took a drive out to the nursery and got some plants to put out front in the bed against the house that will be shorter than the lilies that grow tall. They haven't gotten their veggie garden plants yet so we shall wait and see if they get anything we want. On the way back we stopped at the book store and Will bought me the new Hungry Girl 300 under 300 book by Lisa Lillian. I have her Survival Strategies for Gult-Free Eating in the Real World and her 200 Recipes Under 200 Calorie books and want to get the other two I don't have. Hungry Girl: 1-2-3 The Easiest Most Delicious Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet and Hungry Girl Happy Hour: 75 Recipes for Amazingly Fantastic Guilt-Free Coctails and Party Foods. She also has some recipe cards and an audio book that I will think about if I want them or not.

JEAN That first baby didn't eat much at all for the first day either. I think they need to get a bit of their balance before they can do that. I will send you some cute pictures of them being fed. Your spider plant sounds like it may be suffering from food and water. We have those water bulbs in our potted plants and that plant really takes a lot of water. Are you sure your plant is a spider plant? We have another plant that is striped like the spider but doesn't put out the runners either. I have never heard of a spider plant that didn't put out runners. My mom has them in her flowerbed and they reproduce like crazy.:p

Type at y'all later. My break time is over. :wave:

gma22 04-08-2011 07:14 AM

Morning, just wanted to let you know I will post later. Jack has his colonoscopy this morning and we are leaving in just a couple minutes. I will come back in after we get home and chat. Faye

Jean 04-08-2011 09:24 AM

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cloudy, gloomy, and misty morning in my neighborhood. Rain is predicted with storms tonight and tomorrow. I need to go to the grocery store later; I should have gone yesterday but didn't. It's raining on the eagles and the camera lens has drops of water on it so it's hard to see them this morning. :(

Maggie -- When we were at SAMs yesterday I looked at the Hungry Girl 300 book. It did look interesting. I was looking for a book for Kolby's birthday and the cook books were right beside the kids' books. I also checked out a freezer at Sears when I returned the Lands End sandals that I had ordered. They have a "cute" little one; will have to think about it :twirly: since I really don't have a good place (as in stays dry in the basement) to put it.

"Gma" -- Hope all goes well for Jack this morning! :crossed:

First on my agenda is to put my face on, and then make my grocery list. Hope you all have a nice day today and enjoy whatever comes your way. :D

Jean -- :wave: from :rain: Iowa!