Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #16  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

HOWDY AGAIN

JEAN Glad you could get back on the site. You probably got much more, which wasn't much at all, snow that we did. Those birds will surely appreciate having their area cleaned off. They don't show their appreciation but you know that they like the cleaned off place. You bet we are looking forward to our quickie trip to Texas. It surely will be a refresher. We never make just take a straight shot there and back. Either we meander our way there or on the way coming back. No use just making a straight way to there and back for that would just be a wasted trip as far as we are concerned. Not really wasted for we will see some neat folks but the traveling is more pleasant that way. Have fun reading the posts and I'll yak at ya later.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-25-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #17  

Good morning ladies! It has been pouring rain since very early this morning and even had a thunderstorm overnight so we are cool and wet around here. I noticed I have to get out and kill some weeds in my dirt patch around the deck. This rain is bringing them all out.

Today is clean the downstairs now that my rugs are all nice and clean. I have been having my shoulder flair up again with this rain, but I am bound and determined to get the stuff done today so I can tackle upstairs tomorrow and get it all done.

I got a text from my sister that her mil had been rushed to the hospital yesterday having trouble breathing. She is doing ok now, but it was touch and go for a bit. She has COPD and they found bronchitis and such when they got her to the hospital. Freaky when we just saw her last Saturday and she was grand.

Jean: It is great to see you back with us again. I often tell Jack I think if he passed I would be leaning on the kids a lot to deal with any computer problems I have. Hardware and software are not my friends. Once the stuff is installed I do well with it, but fixing some hardware issue or installing software isn't my thing. I know you think I am this great trip planner, but truthfully I think it is lots of fun. For one thing, I am a bargain hunter and if I can find a sale I am happy as a pig in slop!

Maggie: I hope you enjoy your trip to Texas when you go. We haven't been to Texas in quite awhile. Jack's sister lives in Lubbock. In fact, Jack has to call her this weekend as Monday is her birthday.

Well gals, I need to get started on the cleaning so I can stretch it out. Have a good Saturday. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #18  

Good afternoon, ladies. Cold, rain and we might even see some snow flakes in the rain tomorrow. What weather.

I went to WW this morning and was down .6 so less than a pound to goal. Then I had to get some groceries and now don't feel like doing anything. The week and work wore me out and I think I go take a nap.

Have a great day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's cold, cloudy, and windy in my neighborhood this morning. Bob went to a farm auction this morning to look at a tractor; he chased the bid up but didn't get it. I made a grocery run, and was surprised that the store wasn't too busy. I ran into another teacher so we yakked for quite awhile catching up. I also stopped at a local hardware store because they had a big ad where you scratch a ticket and can get 50% off whatever you can fit in the sack. I needed "normal" looking light bulbs! I did go back and read from my 2nd to last post -- you gals were chatty!

"Gma" -- What an awful excperience for Kelly! I don't know what I would have done but think there should have been assault charges filed! What a jerk the guy was! I had to chuckle at the mental picture of you sleeping in the recliner with the 2 dogs! I hope your brother gets along ok with his back. I can't imagine that the medical personnel couldn't have found that when checking him over right after the accident. Have you seen the ad on tv where the Ford Focus will parallel park itself? That boggles my mind! Is Jack feeling better by now? Sore throats are not fun! Thomas picked out cute souvenirs for you. The gal we go to Maui with likes to surf the net looking for deals so I just let her line up the car and airplane tickets. It saves me a lot of !

Maggie -- on the maintain! You must have that figured out after staying there for 3 weeks. I know you will enjoy your free coffee coupons; it was nice of the gal to give them to Will. I'm sorry about your broken Christmas tree, and I'm sure Will is too. I don't have a fondue pot but wonder if I could melt chocolate in mini crockpot to dip fresh fruit in. I have card club in April and we will go out to eat first. I'm thinking fresh fruit, with a dip, for dessert at the house. You three mention air conditioning and I haven't turned the furnace off yet. I did open the back door one afternoon when the sun was shining and it was much warmer. Ernie took his sniff this morning and backed right back inside.

Gail -- on a size 16! How did the job interview go? Good, I hope. When I worked at school 30 hours was full time, but I usually was closer to 31 by the time I finished for the day. I am ready for sandal weather! I hardly ever go barefoot since I broke a toe a few years ago.

Susan -- on losing again this week! You are such a good role model for the rest of us! I can imagine you are ready to be done with tax season. Will you work through the 18th? One of my bell ringer friends does taxes and she was saying she is celebrating on the 18th. It is snowing, hit and miss, this afternoon. Nothing is sticking so that is good!

I have a load of laundry ready for the dryer so need to keep moving. Have a nice evening!

Last edited by Jean; 03-26-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #20  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Chilly Saturday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Ah we are having a chilly day here in the Heartland. Little Beanie came in with muddy feet so there must be a puddle somewhere out in the back yard. He is such a curious thing like a cat. Gets his nose in everything. He has to be outside when I sweep my office/shop or I can't get it done. Will just moved my scale from the dining room to my office. It is one of those tall doctors scales and has to be set on a floor without carpeting. Since we have laminate flooring in here now I wanted it moved out of that front of the house. It sits nicely under a shelf next to my desk where a gun rack used to set. The gun rack is now on a wall inside the door ~ out of sight when my blinds are open. No one needs to be walking by and see our rifles. They may want them and break in to get them. It has been known to happen even in a sleepy town in the Heartland such as this. No need to tempt folks. I need new blinds in here and that will be on my "to do list" for this summer for sure along with a ceiling fan for the dining room. We have got to decide what to do to the ceiling where the existing light fixture is there for it is large and hugs the ceiling. We don't know what is under that fixture. Maybe we can put a decorative piece on the ceiling before installing the fan to cover what may lurk under there. We will figure something out that is for sure. Got to make it more comfortable to eat in there in the hot summertime. I have a cute little crochet box I got at a yard sale years ago for a nickel. It is oval and 4.5 inches by 3. It is 1.25 deep and the lid is over the sides a half inch. Well sad to say Beanie liked it also and got it off the end table where it has been sitting. Good thing though the lid came off and he only chewed through some of the threads around the top edge of the bottom. So when the lid is on it you can’t tell it is damaged goods. If I were very ambitions I would learn to crochet boxes and make myself a new one but I don’t think that will happen. I made up a mixture of my rice using instant rice and butter buds which cut the points down considerably with cutting out the butter used when cooking it. Now it cooks quicker and you don’t have to do any additions. Just boil the water, put in the rice and let it set 5 minutes. That will make it easy cooking when we go camping using much less energy to cook it and not having to add anything which certainly makes it camping friendly.

DONNA FAYE Hope you got your cleaning all done with out any aches and pains added. Are you going to visit her in Texas anytime soon?

JEAN I don't own a fondu pot either and don't need one to melt chocolate in anyway. I'll just use the microwave when I do it for I won't be taking it anywhere.

SUSAN Hope your nap rejuvinated you. for another loss getting you so close to goal. I am so very happy for your success.

GAIL Howdy there my long time friend.

Type at y'all later.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #21  

Good morning gals. It is crisply cool here again this morning. Looks like that is what the week to come is going to be. I noticed it is quite chilly in Indiana this morning so imagine you northerners are cold this morning too.

Jack had a bit of a cold relapse yesterday so I didn't get anything done. He laid around in the recliner and just felt a bit poorly so I didn't feel I wanted to make noise cleaning house and such so left it for today. It is all relative I supposed and it will get done.

Maggie: Fortune doesn't stay out in any kind of wet weather and hates to have his paws wet and such. If it is sprinkling rain and he needs to go bad, he will go out and right back in and then use his puppy pads. He has never been a "playful" dog.

I just finished another Michael Connelly book called, The Brass Verdict It was a really great book and I enjoyed it very much. I look forward to the next one he has written and then I will be caught up to his new book with this character.

Well gals, this is short and sweet, but Jack ran and errand and is back so it is breakfast time. Have a good day all. Faye
Old 03-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #22  

Good morning, ladies. It's raining and cold - 36 degrees right now. I hope it warms up next weekend and the following week - I'll be on retreat and don't want to have to take heavy clothes.

I have my bedding in the washer and just put a pot of veggie soup on for this week. My "fun" for today will be to scrub the kitchen floor and clean the downstairs bathroom. Then I'm going to do a little sewing.

Faye, I'm glad you sister's mil is doing better. Life with lung problems is not fun.

Jean, we received a fondue pot for our wedding and it stayed in the box for 18 years until we moved down here and I contributed it to the thrift store before we moved.

Maggie, you'll be in Texas while I'm on retreat. You are always doing things in the house. I have ceiling fans in every room in the house but the bathrooms.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Snowey Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The current temp here in the Heartland is 34. It started snowing lightly when we walked to church next door and when we got out there was @ an inch on the ground. It is what they predicted but it is still snowing so maybe will get a couple of inches since it is supposed to snow to at least 11 pm this night. We do need the moisture. We went out to eat at an Italian restaurant and I ate Fettucini Alfredo with Italian sausage cut up in it. Ate about a third of it and brought the rest home. That meal alone will probably coste me a weight loss at the scale tomorrow but it was worth it in the scheme of things. We hardly ever go there and it was soooooo good today. I guess if I couldn't make the scale go down in 3 weeks I can at least make it go up. That is certainly one way to look at it. I am going to package some of that rice mixture I made up yesterday this afternoon. I will keep most of it in a large container to use here at home. Other then that there isn't anything on my "to do" list for this day.

DONNA FAYE Yep if your main squeeze is feeling poorly your other work can wait. Just baby poor Jack. I am sure he will be oh so grateful when he does get over that cold. Your work will be there waiting for you another day.

SUSAN I do so hope the weather does cooperate with your plans to go the retreat. I have never owned a fondu pot for we are not fondu folks. Ah but my older sister had lots of fondu parites. She had lots of boys and they all loved to fondu. I am thinking of putting fans in the bathrooms if we can find some that fit nicely. We put one in the bathroom of the house where we lived in Idaho. That is the bathroom we remodeled and had lattuce on the ceiling. Picture perfect was that bathroom. And actually had one in the upstairs bathroom in our house in Montana. That bathroom was fitted with all old timey fixtures like a claw footed leged bathtub and stand alone sink.

JEAN & GAIL I hope that this day is going well with you. I lift my to you.

Type at y'all later.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #24  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining but it is breezy and cold outside. We have spent most of the day at church. Went to early church, stayed for coffee hour thinking we would eat baked potatoes and trimmings at 11 to beat the rush, and ended up staying for the meeting at 1. The meeting would have been short and sweet if one guy would have kept his mouth shut. He kept interrupting and wanted to change wording in ammendments that had nothing to do with anything. His ideas all got voted down in the end. Changed clothes and finished reading the papers when we got home about 2:30.

Maggie -- I'm sorry Beanie chewed on your little crocheted box. Could you use fabric glue to "fix" it? I won't feel bad if you keep your snow to yourself! Do you think chocolate would stay melted if it sits out at room temperature? I don't blame you for eating something nonWW once in awhile. You may be surprised at weigh in!

"Gma" -- I hope Jack is feeling better 'n better as the day went along. I saw an ad for The Lincoln Lawyer on tv last night. Do you think that follows the book you read? Your cleaning will be waiting for you whenever you get around to it.

Susan -- Scrubbing the floor and cleaning the bathroom doesn't sound nearly as much fun as sewing. I hope the weather shapes up for when you are gone on your retreat. You've really had a mixture of temperatures! That does sound like a fun thing to look forward to!

The month of March is almost gone -- hard to believe. I have more laundry to get going so guess that is next on my list. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #25  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

HELLO AGAIN

JEAN I did glue what I could however there is a half inch piece missing off the top rim and I would crochet a piece and attach it but I don't think I want to go to the trouble right now but maybe sometime. It looks fne with the lid on it for none of the mends show nor does the gap. You sure spent a long time at the church building today! Did you get your baked potato and trimmings after all? Do you have a One Potato Two shop there? Wish we did for they have some WW friendly things that are yummy. I will take whatever comes at weigh in tomorrow and promise not to snivle if I show a gain.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #26  

Maggie -- Yes, I did get my potato and trimmings for lunch at church. They fixed a big roaster of chili for those who don't care for the potato offering. The potato bar had choices of butter or sour cream, hamburger w/ some sort of sauce, diced ham, chopped bacon, broccoli, cheese, onions, tomatoes, and green peppers. A lettuce salad, homemade cookies or bars, and a choice of water, lemonade, milk, or coffee completed the meal. It's put on every year by the men's club to raise scholarship money for the seniors. I've never heard of One Potato Two but it sounds like a fun place to eat. Good luck at weigh-in tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #27  

Good morning to you all! It is nippy here again this morning, around mid 40's I think. I imagine my utility bill will be much smaller for this month though without the ac or heat going. I have turned on the furnace a couple times, but then it warms up and I turn it back off again. It is chilly in the house, but I have work to do that will keep me warm.

I think poor Jack is doomed lately. He was helping me yesterday upstairs, hanging up clothing and such, nothing really physical and pulled his lower back. That sunk him so no rug shampooing yesterday and I had to tend to him all day so from that point on I didn't get much done. Poor guy was really in pain so I got him into the recliner with a heating pad and a muscle relaxer from the last time he hurt his back. He went to work this morning with a sore back, but I am hoping he won't have anything physical much to do today just work on their computer system so his back can heal and not get worse.

I am once again going to try and tackle the downstairs. No one is home except Fortune and I should be able to make progress and get it done. I am doing up the little bit of laundry too.

Susan: It is amazing how dirty a house gets and no one but the two of us live in it. I am sure you are glad it is all sparkling clean again. Congrats on the loss. Those last couple lbs are fighting to stay on I see, but you just keep at it!

Jean: The potato bar sounds great. Wonder if you could have gotten chili on your potato if you had wanted it? I have seen a few potato type restaurants in our travels but have never tried any of them. We used to get the occasional blowhard at the church always wanting to make sure his opinion was known and dragging the meeting out. Our meetings were after Sunday night service so sometimes we didn't get out of there until near 11, which was ridiculous. Jack was a deacon at the time and could not just up and leave.

Maggie: We all have to give ourselves an indulgence once in awhile. As long as we don't make a habit of it we are usually a-ok.

Well, it looks like I am finished with the basketball tournament brackets as the rest of my choices have all lost already. I came in a little below midway and as long as I wasn't dead last I was happy! It looks like the one my son does with his wife and friends every year is going the same way. My dil has won it the last two years running and she is tied for first right now! I talked to them yesterday and she was getting ready to go for a walk as she still has a bit of her cold. She has a min marathon the first week in May and she has never done anything like that. I talked to Jackson for 5 seconds. He and dad were going to go to the park and play. Jay said he was doing ok. They have been unable to rent their other house still so he said he and Alicia are picking up extra money, her taking extra shifts at work and he is moonlighting selling hot tubs at his old bosses on the weekend. I feel for them because they just put a bunch of money into that house to rent it again and they can't sell it because there is absolutely no market up there with their high unemployment. It is a lovely little house that a renter would love to live in, but I imagine he doesn't want just anyone in there.

Other than that, we are sameo sameo. I need to get a move on and get started on chores and a dirty house. You all have a great start to your week and we will talk to you all later. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-28-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Moody Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

OOOO it is chilly here in the Heartland. The temp is 30 which "feels like" 21 and it is so foggy. Fog. Will has gone to take the dogs to the groomer for a trim and bath. They will come home all nice and clean and lovely and stay that way for at least until they want to go outside. We found out Beanie is a digger and we need to get on him to stop that behavior. Well, we are going to put up a fence around the garden and that will keep him from digging in that fresh turned dirt. I will be checking in on the Eagles more closely come the end of the month for the eggs are due to hatch on the first of April. Could be sooner or later though. I was given (years ago) a pin that is of 3 cat tails and some leaves. It is 3 inches tall and I have never had a thing to wear it with. I think I will put it out with my glass village. Might as well have some cat tails growing beside a house. It is a really cute nice pin. I just located it while going through some things deciding just what to do with them. I am one of those that if I don't use it, or have a definite specialty use for it ~ it goes. That comes from living in a motorhome I guess. I'm just not of the "pack rat" variety. I have a dear friend that is and she cracks me up, bless her heart. I did show a bit of a weight gain from my indiscressions the past week when I weighed this morning but have gotten a grip and am going to make some headway this week. Onward and down ward. I am planning some meals for the week and making a shopping list, mostly of fruits and veggies.

DONNA FAYE OH poor Jack. What are we going to do with that man. I remember when my back was giving me fits it just took moving wrong and "wham" it would catch my breath with the sudden pain. So believe me, I do know what your dear husband is going through in that department. I feel so sorry for him Tell him So your are cleaning today while you have the chance. You go girlfriend.

JEAN & SUSAN & GAIL Hope all of you are well and happy this day.

Type at y'all later. Be safe.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-28-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #29  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining but it is still cold in my corner of the world. Snow is predicted for later today and into tomorrow. I went to church knowing the gal who normally helps count was in church yesterday but didn't know if she would show up or not. She did come about a half hour after we had started; when I offered her her job back she took it, so now I won't have to go in as early. The treasurer balanced and so did I on the first try!

"Gma" -- I feel so sorry for Jack! Did you try ice on Jack's back before using the heat? I've read quite a few tips regarding aches and sprains saying to use ice first. Yes, we could have put chili on the potatoes yesterday. I think some did from the looks of their plate. I'm not sure what kind of sauce was on the hamburger but it had a little liquid with it. I've never ordered a stuffed potato when we eat out thinking that is something I could fix at home. I giggle whenever you mention your dirty house. We have a friend who is an EMT and in visiting he says one wouldn't believe some of the houses he has been in.

Maggie -- You will get your focus back and get rid of your gain in no time. It's always fun to find something unexpected when looking for something else. I've packed things away, over the years, and every once in awhile will find a treasure I had forgotten about.

Bob should be home for lunch shortly. I had planned to make a casserole but didn't have enough time for it to bake so maybe tomorrow. It is a soup kind of day anyhow.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #30  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hi everyone! I have been away. I mean away from home AND the computer. Hubby and I drove down to Va. Beach last Thursday to spend time with the Dads. This is also the place where there is no computer at one house and a computer at the other but no access to the internet. Hence, I have been away! We got home late last night. I'm still tired. And I have a mountain of laundry.

The interview. My interview last week went very well. However, this job is not meant to be. Something else will come along if it's meant for me to go back to work. Wayne also went on a job interview right before we left for Va. Beach. His interview went very well also. Don't know yet if he got the job. If he did...wonderful, fabulous... If not, something better will come along. I am trying not to get upset about this.

The Dads. Well, what can I say? My Dad is 80, has arthritis, and is 4 years into Parkinson's Disease. He worries about every little thing. But my brother lives next door and he's keeping wonderfully good care of our Dad. My father-in-law is 86. Has a few problems like chronic pancreatitis, a heart problem and now he's getting dizzy spells. But he is extremely independent. And no...neither man will come to Delaware to live. And they have been invited...multiple times.

I had a pretty good time down in Va. Beach. I met an old friend (since 1st grade) for lunch on Saturday. We haven't seen each other in about 35 years. Gotta love Facebook. We have vowed not to lose track of each other again. She was responsible for Wayne and I meeting! Great matchmaker, huh?

I know I need to do some back-reading. And I will. But I wanted y'all to know where I've been and hadn't disappeared totally on y'all again. So here I am! Home again!

Take care...and I will be back ASAP.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote