Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #13

Good Morning, Flowers! I will take a chance and start a new thread today. The sun is shining through the clouds and it is supposed to be warmer today. Today I have ironing to do and a kitchen to pick up. Bob has a church meeting at 5:15 which means supper will be later than usual. Sometimes I eat at the regular time and he eats when he gets home.

Otherwise not much is going on in my corner of the world today. I need to get my "work" day started since the pixies aren't coming today. Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #2  

Good morning ladies! It is chilly here today, but dry at the moment. Boy it sure rained hard most of the day yesterday, which meant no doggies outside so I was cleaning up stuff all day pretty much. I did finally ease them out once but it was a quick peepee and back in cause it was raining steadily.

Jack has another ortho appt tomorrow to discuss what was found on the MRI. It isn't until the afternoon, but he is going to take the day off again. With all these dr appts he is using a lot of sick time, but that's what it is there for I guess. He has about 6 weeks built up but because of all of it, he won't be earning any bonus days anytime soon. You have to work 90 days straight without taking a sick day.

I am hoping to get upstairs and clean bathrooms and such this morning, but my feet are swollen today so they are tight. Don't know what is with that, but I take a med that is notorious for causing feet and hand swelling so it must be that again.

We are going on Saturday to see my sister and her husband. His mom lives across the other side of Arkansas and this is the sister from California so am looking forward to spending a few hours with her anyway. We can stay over with having both dogs. If it were just Fortune we would take him with us, but not both of them. For one thing we don't have a restraint for Marty and I won't travel with him unrestrained it is too dangerous and stupid. Tom lets him sit on his lap while driving too so he tries to get into the front seat when you put him in the car. So we will just get up mega early and start out.

The morons next door did it again. I had water leaking under the wall yesterday about 10. I decided not to even bother going next door and called the landlord directly. I had to leave a message, but when I hadn't heard from her in an hour I called her cell phone. She said she would send someone over and she did. I went out to check the mail around 2 and he was getting out of his truck and putting on his tool belt and such. He asked me if I was "miss donna" and I said I was. We talked about the problem and he gently asked if he could come in and look at our pipe and such. She had requested it and he was very nice and said I could refuse, which I knew I could, but I wanted once and for all to put it to rest as far as it not being from us. He came in and looked under the kitchen and bathroom sinks, at the toilet and where the fridge is and declared it was not from us. I had by then sopped it all up and sprayed it with bleach to kill any possibility of mold but he asked where it came in at and I showed him. I told him it had to be they were overloading their washer and it was overflowing. I said when the plumber was over there a few weeks ago, we hadn't had anything until that morning and you can hear the washer agitate through the wall when you are in the bathroom and I had heard it several times with no leaking. I said it had something to do with their washer. He said it was a puzzler, but he was going to get to the bottom of it. I hope they have now told them either buy a new washer or learn to wash your clothing. I told him also that until they moved in, except for the incident where the girl moved out and they bent the pipe taking the connections off, I hadn't had one of her tenants have that problem. There had never been a leak until the jerks next door moved in. So, we shall see. I have been in there several times this morning and not heard a peep from the washer and I usually do.

Susan: Ok, that one gobsmacks even me. I have done some really goofy things knitting but I seriously can't figure out how your poor friend put the toe on the cuff. I have yet to venture into toe up socks or even doing magic loop socks though I do know how to do magic loop. I also tried two at a time and didn't like doing that either so will just stick to my dpns. Thought I would never get the hang of those, but I did and am really comfortable with them now. One of the things I bless the lady that wrote the sock pattern that I first used learned is that she said to cast on one extra stitch and instead of casting on all the stitches then moving them, she casts them all on one needle, then knits each group of stitches onto the next needle, then the next, etc and with the one extra stitch, she slides it to needle one and knits the first two together and it gives a nice "seamless" cuff instead of a possible gap or whatever. It always works no matter what the cuff down pattern. Ooh I like Mah Jong and what is called Mah Jong Shanghai. I actually have a CD to play both. I didn't know this until I started playing the CD, but the games online where you remove pairs of like tiles is the Shanghai style. Mah Jong is a bit different with you having tiles in front of you sort of like scrabble then you play them onto the board, but I love them both. I guess for me playing mah jong is just another little old lady thing I have picked up. I a firmly entrenched as a senior now with mah jong skills, a little dog, I had a big car, I knit socks, etc. Wow working as a receptionist would be cool, but where the heck would you fit that in?

Jean: The Gin game I play on Iphone is the same, runs and 3 of a kinds, but it allows you in some instances if you have 2-2 pairs (in other words 4 cards left each a pair) it will bring up the word "knock" and then if you click on it it adds your points subtracts pts etc and gives you the remainder and says you win. If you do the knock and your opponent has less left pts then you, you are penalized and they get the pts and 25 pt extra. If you gin with one card left to go out, you get the opponent's left pts and 25 or if you gin having made all your runs and 3 of kinds then you get their left pts and 31. We do play to 100 but I can usually win in 2 hands with this game. It is the free one so I am sure that is why it isn't very hard to beat. I miss Euchre playing, which no one does down here and I would like to go back to playing double deck pinochle, which is usually only played by people in the military from what I understand as most people play single deck pinochle. I have played in 30 years so would have to learn all over again.

Maggie: I grew up on fruits and veggies as my mom and grandma canned so I eat quite a few different kinds.

Well gals, I am not getting anything done so far this morning and I see it is already 10 am. I need to get a move on if I want to get anything done before Jack gets home. With him going to work so early and getting home so early I feel my cleaning time is cut short! Have a good one today. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a 44 degree day so far here in the Heartland. I sure hope none of that radiation from Japan drifts over our contenient. That being said I imagine there will be a run on the pills one takes for light doses of radiation. I feel so sorry for those folks "over there." What a mess it is. Hopefully we can do some good in helping them in this time of trouble. Beanie gained a pound so is now 10#. He had a doctors visit this morning for a follow up shot. He is good to go now until his neutering operation. Will is going to grill burgers outside this day. Hopefully ole Webber still knows how. Fruit salad and a burger sounds like Summer to me. YUM. I copied out some pages of the pictures I have of the egles to send to my mother. I was telling her about that web site yesterday and she was excited to hear that they do things like that live feed of egles nesting. She is up in her 90's and I don't think she is on her computer much these days. Her recreation is swimming. She lives alone, has a house keeper and a gardener and just does what she wants and has a good time of it. Sees her doctor every 3 months and is always good to go. She is still just taking one pill and that is for blood pressure. She has great health insurance and is not on Medicare nor SS. My brother lives across the street and my sister lives down the block so she is looked after well. Anyway I speak with her regularly. I have shots of the eagle leaving and arriving at the nest and the nest empty of birds but has 3 eggs in it. Life is good. I just got a flyer in the mail and solder is on sale. I can get 5#s for $85.

DONNA FAYE That is good that they checked your pipes to eliminate the possibility that they are the culpret. Your neighbors just take the cake. Dumber than a box of rocks. Are the red buds blooming? I love those and we had a few of them in out in CA ~ a few. I was so excited when we saw 3 of the trees along a not so very traveled road when out 4 wheeling one day. It is a good thing that Jack does have those days on the books so he doesn't have to take a hit when he needs a day off for the doctors. When I retired I had a whole year of sick leave and comp time on the books. So the first year I was off it was all about using up that leave before my retirement kicked in. It is a good thing he has leave there for him to use because things could get tight without it. I guess I am not getting old if playing cards and knitting are the bench marks. I don't do either. What fun to get to see your sis from out west.

JEAN Thanks for giving us a new home. Hope you get all accomplished that you have planned for this day. Our friends have their place just over the Iowa boarder in MN close to that fish hatchery. Those eagles are smart to build their nest close to that hatchery ~ food sourse. Whats for lunch? I am getting hungry.

SUSAN That would be excellent for the WW folks if you could make room in your busy schedule to become a receptionist. You could be an addition to the group and be a wonderful "answer lady" for you have a good grasp of the program. You go girlfriend. That tad bit under 2 pounds you have to lose will be gone in no time.

GAIL Where are you girlfriend? I miss seeing you here.

Have a lovely afternoon Magnolias.
Off to get some lunch. I think I will work on some glass today. Surprised? Not.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-15-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #4  

"Gma" -- At least Jack will know what he is dealing with once he visits with the doctor about the MRI results. Are you going with him? I'm sure you are looking forward to the short visit with your sister and bil. It's nice that you can drive the distance and back in a day. I hope the repairman figured out what or where the water leak is and fixes it permanently. We learned how to play double pinochle, with a neighbor couple, when we lived in Ohio. We'd put Jason to sleep in a corner and play till the wee hours. When we moved here we also played in a pinochle card club; when we finally were able to quit having a babysitter the group fell apart because couples moved and/or a spouse died. Neither of us remember how to play now but I'll bet it wouldn't take long to learn again.

Maggie -- Your mom sounds pretty spry for a 90 year old! Is Will's mom still living in Royal? Bob has grilled hamburgers twice now. Maybe spring is here, but I know how fickle our weather can be. I'm betting on one more snow at least. I fixed a chicken casserole for lunch -- not WW friendly but I had all the ingredients on hand intending to make it when the kids were here and then didn't.

Susan -- Hope your two job work day went smoothly today.

Gail -- You are MIA again.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all! It is pretty chilly this morning, but supposed to be warm and sunny later on today. We are supposed to get into the upper 70's tomorrow or Friday.

Jack stayed up and watched college basketball last night, booooring. I just sat and listened to an audiobook on my Iphone. I just finished a Nora Roberts book that was really good and am on to her "alter ego" J D Robb and her new book. I have read all of the "in Death" series and am hooked on them.

Jean: I haven't decided whether I am going with him today to the doctor's or not. I guess if I am ready I will go otherwise not. How indecisive is that? I actually got a call from the repairman last night about next door, which pleased and surprised me. He said he had another guy go in with him and look also and it is definitely their washer. He quoted a price to fix it, but they said no. He asked me if I wanted him to call the landlord this morning and tell her and I said absolutely. I told him that she had told the leasee last time this happened to fix her washer, quit using it until she did or buy a new one so I wanted her to know she never did it. I am hoping she will really be steamed about it and give it to them. One thing that disturbs me though and I have no proof is there was a large piece of chicken on the deck after this that Fortune got ahold of and I wonder if those dirt bags threw it over the fence or if it was the squirrel. Whose to say. I hope she evicts them over this, but they had a devil of a time finding someone for the condo they own directly across the street from us.

Maggie: I am looking forward to grilling out again. I know you are enjoying watching those birds.

Well, Jack fixed breakfast this morning and it is finished so I have to go. Everyone have a great hump day. Faye
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's supposed to reach 60+ degrees today. It's also supposed to be quite windy this afternoon. Maybe last falls leaves will blow away.

Bob was saying that his favorite coffee (carry-out) stop has gone up from $.85 to $1.25 in less than a week. He is the only one in the office who drinks coffee so there is no point in making a pot for 1 cup. The paper did say that the price of coffee is going up. I wonder how many cups of coffee can be made from a #? I think it is a rip-off at $2.50, a cup plus refills, in the restaurants! Our gas did drop 4 cents, down to $3.41. Big deal -- NOT!

"Gma" -- It will be interesting to see what the landlord does to solve the problem next door. I would think if it continues you could have your place professionally cleaned each time and send her the bill! You'd still have the mess to contend with though. What if you weren't home and that happened! I think rental property, in this day and age with clueless renters, would be a nightmare! Keep us posted on Jack please.

I have a load of towels to fold and some sales receipts to sort through and pitch. Have a wonderful Wednesday and remember to do something nice for yourself today.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #7  

Jean: Have you thought about buying Bob a one cup coffe maker for the office? I looked on Amazon.com and they have several under $20 and a couple are under $15. It would save money in the long run and they come with their own cup! I believe I saw that Sears has them too.

Last edited by gma22; 03-16-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It so far is a 48 fair day here in the Heartland. They say it will get up to the 70's today and 83 tomorrow. That will sure make the grass grow. I have a bunch of empty boxes in my office/crafts room I am going to toss down stairs this day. Just too many accumulated. I made a loaf of sourdough bread last evening and sprinkled a bread topping mix on it and it sure did taste yummy. I got it from Bakers Catalogue and it is "Everything bread/bagle topping" of onion, garlic, salt and poppy seeds. It sure jazzed up the crust. I have my Schwans order placed on line and will be glad when it comes. They now have some Blueberry breakfast bites for 2 points each and also some Apple cinnamon ones. The serving size is 4 of them for 8P+ but I will only have one with a boiled egg or a beater frattata for a yummy breakfast. I also ordered some of their Mini cinnamon rolls which are 2 1/2 P+ each or 5 P+ for 2 of them. I like the fact they sell the small things like that so I can get the taste with just a small portion and be satisfied. Today I am making a good recipe I have for asparagus today called Lemon-Ginger Asparagus which used to be 0 WW points but is now 1P+. I will go ahead and post it since some of you may like asparagus. We really like it made this way.

LEMON-GINGER ASPARAGUS
1P+ per serving/Serves 4
1 1/2 lbs aspargus, tough ends removed
2 Tbsp chicken broth
1/2 tsp feshly grated gingerroot
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp minced scallion
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to boil in a medium skillet
Place asparagus in skillet, reduce heat to medium
Cook until asparagus is tender-crisp, about 6-8 minutes
Drain well and place asparagus in a serving bowl
In a cup, combine broth, ginger, lemon juice, scallion, salt, & pepper
Pour over the aspargus
Set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.

JEAN Yep the price of coffee is going up - it has here. The talking heads say if things don't get better it could go up to $40 a pound. But so will everything else be going up & up except wages. It may leave a lot of folks in a real bind. IT depends on how many cups can be made from a pound of coffee by how strong a person likes his/her coffee. There is no set amount of cups of coffee you can get out of a pound. We both like our coffee on the strong side so a pound doesn't last long here.

DONNA FAYE I do hope that landlady does get that neighbor to co-operate with that washer deal SOON. I wonder ~ does it flood that persons floor also when it overflows ~ or just run into your place. Wonder what her rent costs. I don't sit and watch the eagles constantly but check in periodically. It seems I have tuned in at good times to snap a shot though. Just good timing. How nice that Jack fixed breakfast ~ what was it? Will grills and smokes food but stays clear of the kitchen.

SUSAN & GAIL Hope your humpday is going well with you.
I am off to get rid of some boxes. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-16-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #9  

"Gma" -- I thought about getting him a 1 cup pot, but he likes to leave the office for a few minutes to make a coffee run. I have a little 4 cup pot he could take if he wanted to.

Maggie -- It is 55 degrees according to the weather bug, the sun is shining yet, and the wind is blowing. I don't think we'll be buying coffee at $40 a pound! We like our coffee to taste like coffee instead of colored hot water. We usually only drink a cup at breakfast but once in awhile will make more later in the day. Bob thinks if it's something we want, then go buy it. I've started drinking more tea since the crafty club members are tea drinkers. There aren't any asparagus eaters living here, but the liquid part does sound tasty.

Last edited by Jean; 03-16-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 74 degrees here as I type. Feels so good and the wind isn't blowing. Makes me want to get started making rows in the garden but, alas, this is March after all. That tradgedy in Japan is getting worse every reporting I hear. I hope they can get a grip on those reactors soon. That asparagus sure went good with that grilled shrimp for lunch along with some fresh fruit! Yum. For dinner I have a two serving packet of chicken noodle soup out thawing for dinner. I will fix some toast out of that wonderful sour dough loaf to go with it along with some fresh fruit. Got the day under control.

JEAN Your 55 degrees sounds like a speed limit. Bob could always take a cup of coffee in a thermos to work if he wanted to take it from home. Leave it out in his car and have the chance to get out and go get it from there. Or continue to do as he is doing or use your little pot. See there are choices. I have a good electric espresso pot that I can make excellent sf ff lattes with but Will likes to get out in the afternoon and go get me one from Mocha's and get himself a coffee called "Coal Car" ~ very strong as the name suggests. I bet I could make him one like it for I can make espresso. I also have a small espresso pot that one uses on the stove. I am hesitant to use it on this glass top stove though. Tea has as much or sometimes more caffeen in it than coffee does unless it is of the herbal variety. I like tea and we do drink a lot of sun tea in the warmer months. I like to mix up the bags when I do sun tea like some of lipton and some of herbal berry. Or make constant comment sun tea ~ now that is good. I made up some tea packets using black tea leaves and dried orange bits last summer that was good. I made the bags out of coffee filters. We don't like sweetened tea.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #11  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Here I am! I know, I know...I come in and then leave for awhile. I've been thinking about y'all though! Really! I have a few minutes before the granddaughters arrive so here I am!

Well, I had a birthday! I'm 60. Yep. Me. We called it "Gailfest" that day. I did not have a party (both daughters were out of town but they phoned) but Wayne took me out to dinner at the Texas Roadhouse (my choice). He also gave me a Pandora charm bracelet...well, started one for me. I have a Pandora charm bracelet already but that is for weight loss--every five pounds I lose I get a new charm--30 lbs. so far. This new bracelet will be for anytime I get the "need" for a new charm. I love it. I love the other one too. We were going to a movie as well but the movie we wanted to see does not start until this Friday...so we're going next Monday in the afternoon. The movie? The Lincoln Lawyer or it may be Limitless. We haven't made up our minds yet. Wayne says I can choose. Love that man! Anyway, my birthday celebration will continue this Friday as both daughters are taking the day off to spend with me and we're doing something but I haven't been told yet. Love them too!

I went to WW this morning. I lost .8 lbs. For the past week, I was in possession of the traveling food tracker. I had to write everything I ate, drank, exercised, commented, etc. It was a great eye-opener as I thought I was doing everything 100%. I was not. On the old program, I counted light margarine 2 t. for 1 point. I didn't know that I get a whole tablespoon for 1 point! It really got me focused again. Over all it was a good experience. I made all kinds of comments--some funny and some not so funny--so no telling what the person is thinking about it all!

Maggie, thank you for the email! I will answer it! I'm loving my new computer. Yes, it's a laptop but not my first. I still have the old one even though it's not working like it should. Our weather is just starting to get warmer and I'm grateful for that because I'm so tired of being cold all the time. We did have a new heater and air conditioner installed...and it is so quiet!!!

Donna Faye, you have had the worst luck in neighbors!! Bless your heart. I'm still knitting socks...but like you have never heard of anyone putting the toe on the cuff. I knit socks with double pointed needles....and do it the old-fashioned way--cuff down. Never have knitted the magic loop, toe-up, two at a time, etc. I'm lucky I can knit what I do knit! And I am so slooooooow. We almost got a 5-month old dog Monday night. It is a poodle-maltese mix. Cute. But the timing is wrong. This dog is in need of some vet care and a good grooming from a professional. Money that we do not have right now to spend on a dog. But I have heard the poor thing (name is Oscar...of all things) now has a home...and I feel better about not taking him in.

Jean, coffee is going up here in Delaware as well. And it doesn't matter if it's take-out or if you buy Maxwell House by the can in the grocery store. And gas. Do you want to talk about gasoline? Today it is $3.49 for regular. But things could be worse. I feel so sorry for those people in Japan!

Susan, I'm sending a shout out to you--Hello!

I promise to get back in here sooner. Like tomorrow morning!
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #12  

Good morning ladies! It is going to be near 80 degrees here today and sunny. I just wish I had windows I could open and get a cross breeze, but no such luck. I do not know why they put two huge windows across the back that cannot be opened. Like I have said before, the front ones are blocked by huge bushes so they don't get any air if they are opened either.

I just finished paying bills again. Seems like that comes around often. This is the month for our quarterly insurance payment so I had to make sure that is paid pronto to keep the ole insurance coming especially with all of Jack's stuff going on, .

Well, the verdict is in. Jack has to have surgery on the other knee now. His surgery will be June 22. He has to wait that long as he has to have 6 weeks off. When he had the other knee done, since it was on the job, he was back at work about a week after on crutches sitting and doing paperwork and such until he was released back. With this, he can't come back at all until he is released because they don't have light duty with the city. That is fine, he will enjoy all the time off, but he has used so many days lately with dr appts and will need one for his colonoscopy, one for his cardiologist in August and one again for his pre sugery tests and such. He does have another torn meniscus and the doctor said that he can only do what he did with the other one that it won't be perfect and did he understand that? Well, even though Jack has on and off pain with the right knee because of arthritis, he says it does feel better than it did so this knee will have to feel better than it does now, which is pretty bad.

Gail: Congrats on the loss. Anything is anything and it is almost a lb. I am sending you a link for a company that makes Pandora style charms and they are less expensive that the Pandora charms. You might like them you might not, but here you go. http://stores.newdreamz.net/StoreFront.bok I think they have some beautiful and some really cute charms and fillers and such. Glad you had a nice birthday. They seem to come around awful frequently. I told Jack I wanted him to hurry and get to 62 (He turns 62 in Oct) because they we get the senior discount at almost all places and especially at all the hotels! Right now I can get senior or aarp discounts at Hyatt, choice hotels, red roof inn, Hilton, which is 62 unless you are aarp, which I am, but Marriott requires 62 period.

Jean: I never drank coffee and don't like it to this day. The sister we are gong to visit is a huge coffee drinker. She seems to always have a Starbucks in her hand. I just can't see paying $5 for a cup of coffee. I do get a couple things there once in awhile. I get their peppermint hot chocolate at Christmas time and I used to like there carmel apple drink, but they changed it and I don't like it as much. When we were in Vegas last time the Starbucks at one of the big strip hotels had this thing called "liquid chocolate" hot chocolate. It was in a tiny cup about the size of the larger paper cups you use at home in dispensers. It was truly liquid chocolate and woweeee. If you are a chocolate lover this was at the kids used to say, "the bomb!" Unfortunately, it was also really expensive, like $4 for this tiny little cup, but for this chocoholic, it was worth every penny.

Maggie: I haven't seen the red bud trees yet and we have scads of them. It is going to be warm this weekend so I imagine they will be sprouting out. I see my azaleas are blooming big time again this year.

Well girls, it is almost 8 am already. I need to get a bite to eat for breakfast and work on this sock. My problem is I am almost done with it and don't like it! The yarn isn't as soft as I would like it to be. Ahh well, they need to be finished anyway. Have a good one all! Faye
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a foggy morning in my neighborhood. When I opened to door for Ernie's sniff of fresh air, it actually felt much warmer (48 heading for 60) this morning. The weatherman says it will be "breezy" today, which means windy. I have WW later and then crafty club this afternoon.

Gail -- on losing almost a whole pound! Onward and downward is the way to go. It sounds like you celebrated you birthday in style with more to come. Enjoy!

Maggie -- Bob wouldn't mess with a thermos as he usually just drinks one cup of coffee in the morning at the office. I did some searching for caffeine info and found this online which I thought was interesting. "It all depends on how strong you make the tea or coffee. All types of tea contain caffeine, however the amount of caffeine varies according to the way in which the tea leaves are processed. Green tea contains the least caffeine, Black tea the most, and Oolong () falls in the middle range. A cup of Green tea (6 oz) contains 8 mg of caffeine. A cup of Oolong tea contains 12.50 mg of caffeine. A cup of Black tea ranges from 25 - 110, depending on the variety. Coffee generally contains 60 - 120 mg of caffeine. According to Stash Teas, here is the breakdown in milligrams:

Coffee (5 oz. cup) 80 (don't think any of my cups are 5 oz.)
Black Tea (one tea bag) 40
Oolong Tea (one tea bag) 30
Green Tea (one tea bag) 20
White Tea (one tea bag) 15
Decaf Tea (one tea bag) 2" (end of quote, not inches )

My Good Earth tea has the following milligrams chart on their box: (8oz. cup)

Coffee 100
Black tea 50
Green Tea 30
White tea 20
Original tea 16
Decaf. tea 4
Herbal/red tea 0

I didn't realize there were so many different kinds of tea. I ususally make "boiled" water tea in the summer rather than sun tea.

"Gma" -- Do you own the bushes in front or does the association? In other words could you trim them back to get some air to come in through the windows? I'm glad that Jack has a plan of action for his knee! As I've gotten older my taste for chocolate has changed some. I used to think that was the only flavor (got that from my dad!) but sometimes I'd just as soon have something else. Bob, Jason, and Ian all think chocolate is the only was to go! What don't you like about the sock?

I need to get dressed and get moving. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 03-17-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #14  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good afternoon!

Doncha just hate it when you ask someone a question and they answer back with a question? Yep. And that certain someone is now outside washing the car. And I thought he was ready to go walking. I'm ready. What part of that previous conversation did he not get?

Last night the granddaughters were over. The oldest (10 year old) asked me what I've been knitting lately. Sweet voice. I told her I just got finished knitting a sock. She asked me, "Grandmom, you gonna knit the other sock too?" Like I said, she has a sweet voice. I did tell her that I'm knitting that second sock now.

Donna Faye, my goodness! I'll put Jack on the prayer list at my church for sure. Thanks for the link. I'll go there in a few minutes and browse! Life for hubby and I will be easier (financially) when we get to retirement age but that would be like wishing our life away and we don't want to do that. I don't mind turning 60--I can get a few senior discounts now and I will take advantage. Every little bit of savings helps. And both Wayne and I are members of AARP and we use that card for discounts as well. We love the bulletin and magazine we get from them.

Jean, good luck at WW today! It is getting warmer here in DE as well. It's sunshiny and when we do go for that walk today at the park it's going to be nice. It was nice yesterday afternoon when we walked and it was a little cooler. It's going to be in the 60's today. Tomorrow, it's supposed to get up 75-80 degrees! Then it will cool down a bit but it will still be nice. Spring is arriving. Yaaaaay! I love coffee. Wayne does too. In fact, there is a sale on our brand of coffee at one of the grocery stores in our area. $6.50 a big can. I'm going to buy two. Sales starts tomorrow.

Well, I need to go outside and see how the car-washing is coming along. I need to get my walking shoes on and be ready to go when he's finished or he will start washing his truck....
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful 65 day degree so far here in the Heartland. Life is good and the dogs are both sitting on the back porch. Will is at the museum doing his volunteer work today and here I sit. I just ate a burrito I had in the freezer and it was a good one that I had made awhile back. Roast beef and potato. Had that with a bowl of fruit and am good to go till dinner time which will be the last of a batch of chili beans I had in the freezer and also the last bit of that sourdough bread I made the other day. I like to get the left overs I have frozen rotated out of the freezer that way there are no "old" mysteries lurking in there. I slept in this morning and it sure felt good. On my "to do list" this day is to get a building finished so I can start a new one. like to have a project going in some stage at all times. Some days it just sits there waiting for me to come back and work on it. Our plans are still intacked to skedadle out of here the end of this month for a mini vacation. Gotta go to Texas. We may even go to Red Lobster while there.

DONNA FAYE Won't it be grand when Jack is all fixed up and back to exact as best as they can make him. The red buds will all bloom at once. I would surely feel closed in if I couldn't have windows that opened and get a cross breeze. I love having the windows all up and that is my favorite time of the year. With the curtains blowing in the breeze. But on the other hand I remember how humid it gets in TN and the windows have to be closed for the AC to work.

JEAN My favorite black tea is the Oolong but hard to find. When we moved out of CA our friend that owned a Chinese restaurant gave us a huge pillow of Oolong tea. That lasted us for quite a long time. Yep I knew tea has caffeen and that is why I like drinking it. I don't count my caffeen intake and never have gotten the jitters from too much. I generaly drink a cup (stainless tall container) in the morning and then another in the evening. I will on occasion have a sf ff latte in the afternoon that is loaded with caffeen with that double shot of espresso in it. That 411 you posted on the different kinds is interesting.

GAIL Any amount of a loss is due for a celebration. I congratulate you on going in the right direction down this road to thin. Aren't charm bracelets fun. Mine is loaded and weighs .3 now with all the charms on it. It is my weight loss journey and I used to just have the ones on it I "deserved" but had the others stolen so when I replaced them I put them all on the bracelet. I imagine your granddaughters are a delight. Time sure flys for I remember when your daughters got married. AH life is good.

I am going to get busy now on a building. Type at y'all later