Old 02-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #16  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hello from Delaware, everyone! Remember me?! It has been ages since I posted (anywhere)...probably more than a year. Anyway, I was just in the "neighborhood" and thought I would say hello....so...Hello!

It's been a rollercoaster ride these last two years; starting with Wayne taking forced retirement from Chrysler and looking for a stable job (he's working now for a company but they are just about ready to lay him off for the second time within the last 10 months), my mom passing away, keeping tabs on my Dad (80 yrs old with severe arthritis and the beginning stages of Parkinson's, so grateful my brother lives next door) and my FIL (86 yrs old and still extremely active going out dancing with his senior groups) and trying to help my daughters with their families when needed and just trying to keep "it together". In the weight loss area I'm doing well, although it's slowed down. I'm down to 193.8 lbs--the lowest I've weighed in decades. My retirement is very quiet which is good for me. I get out and meet girlfriends for lunch (various groups) each month. I read alot. And I still knit (my current project is socks). I love to walk outside but our winter has been extremely cold and I despise the treadmill. But the temp is supposed to reach 60 today and tomorrow is supposed to be warmer so I think I'll be out there for sure, walking my 2.6 miles at the park. Wayne and I just celebrated 40 years of marriage! And my 60th (can you believe it?!) birthday is next month! Mile stones for sure!

So...again...hello everyone!
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #17  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely day here in the Heartland with a temp of 67 as I type. The sun is shining and it makes me want to get out there and plant. AH but winter is not over yet so I must be patient. Right now we have to park our Jeep in front of our house because we cannot get down the alley to our place for they have both ends blocked off. They are laying underground optic lines for TV and phone. They said they thought they would be through in this area in about a week. It will be what it will be. I have decided to spring for a cast iron wok made by Lodge. This one I have bows on the bottom when it gets heated and the small amount of rocking bothers me. Otherwise I like it real well. I will just have to wait for my March allowance to get the cast iron one. When woks were first made they were cast iron ones and some of them are still in use, especially in the restaurants. I cut my pork in thin strips and covered them with panko and quick fried them, put them aside and stirfried the veggies. Stired in the meat and served it all over spaghetti noodles, sprinkled some soy sauce on it and it was yummy. My veggies were snow peas, baby carrots, celery, asparagus, zucchini, and green onions.

DONNA FAYE I do hope your waiting was a short one at the hospital. That is not a fun thing to have to do for sure. Reading is the best thing you can be doing while waiting though. Hope all goes well with the testing.

JEAN It is rude to wait until the last minute to tell a hostess you accept the invation. I always say to notify me by a certain date and that has worked for me. What did you decide to serve?

SUSAN Hope you are feeling better.

GAIL I am so happy to see you here. My goodness has it been that long. Sounds like you have done well in the weight loss department even while dealing with all that stress you have been going through. How are your two beautiful daughters doing these days? Please do come back when you can and post.

Mail just came and a friend out on the left coast sent me a bunch of WW coupons for free stuff plus some for buy some get one free.

Have a great day. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-17-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #18  

Afternoon girlies! We got home around 10:30 and he actually had a doctor that told him what was wrong. It was what I thought was wrong way back when this all started several years ago. He has a hiatal hernia. The doctor said it was a small one and Jack will now go back to his gp and talk about what to do about it. If it isn't life threatening, it is going to have to wait to be repaired since he has both his hand and his knee that have to come first. The man is a walking hospital invitation at this point.

Gail: I was just thinking of you the other day wondering how things were going. So sorry to hear your hubby is still struggling to keep good employment. That is the way it is these days it seems. Jack went through that a decade ago and that is why we moved down here and though I don't love Memphis, I am sure glad we did. His job is about as stable as you can get. Hope the girls are doing well and those grandchildren. I am trying to get a pair of socks done myself at the moment. I have to lay knitting aside when my hands are hurting and they have been causing me issues on and off lately.

Maggie: I took my knitting and got some of it done and read a bit on my Iphone. I didn't sleep well last night so both of these things made me sleepy. Luckily, it was only about an hour and half and Jack was all done. I have a wok with a handle like a skillet and I like it a lot. I have never had it bow but mine is pretty heavy duty. I know the ones they use in restaurants usually look pretty beat up from use. I wish Jack liked stir fried stuff I would certainly make it more. I really like Asian food a lot. If I am going to use Italian style pasta over asian noodles, I like to use Linguine. It has about the same denseness as the low mein style noodles and more body than spaghetti or rice noodles.

Jean: It is a balmy 70 degrees here in Elvisland today, but pretty cloudy. Jack is taking a vacation day off to go to Thomas's Beta Club induction tomorrow so I told him we absolutely must get the Mariner washed and maybe two times. It has salt all over it from the trip up north and is a mess inside too. I can't stand my car to be messy. Hope no one else just shows up so that you have enough food and such. It is bad enough when you have a regular party and want an RSVP, but when you do something like card playing I would think knowing the exact number would kind of be important!

Susan: Hope you are resting and starting to feel better!

I came back this morning and paid the bills, played a hidden object game, had lunch then took a nap with Jack on the sofa and me in the recliner. Wow, next month we should both be able to snooze together in the recliner and Fortune can sit in the middle on the storage area! More than likely he will be in one of our laps.

You should see my computer. I have all these post it notes for Jack's various remaining dr appts, one for Fortune's on Monday to get his yearly's and then two great big crayon hearts from Jackson for Valentine's Day he gave us when we got into town. I also have stickys on when my contacts need to be changed out, and references to canceling a couple things along with post its on Fortune's HeartGuard and flea medicine schedule. What a mess!

Everyone have a good afternoon. I need to clear out the dishwasher and reload. I never had a chance this morning. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #19  

Good morning girls! Another early morning here. We have Thomas's Beta Club induction this morning and Jack decided he wanted to go so he took the day off. He is snoozing, I am sitting here posting.

Jean: Did you read the article about the kid from Iowa who forfeited the state championship round of wrestling because he refused to wrestle a girl? I have to say, it took a lot of courage to stand his conviction about this. I find in this instance it is pretty repugnant to have girls wrestling boys. Don't the parents have any brains? I mean, would you want your 13 year old girl to have a boy with his hands on her breasts, her behind or her crotch? Poor kid lost out because of respect for a young woman. Unfortunately, with all this equality of the sexes stuff, they would have been sued if they had refused to allow it.

Not much going on from last evening when I posted. We just had dinner and watched a bit of tv then Jack went upstairs for the evening and I watched some tv then went to bed. It is sort of a routine. Jack doesn't watch much evening tv at all, preferring his computer. He does stay downstairs from time to time to be with me, but I don't mind as he and I are usually not on the same page with regard to what we like to watch.

I hope everyone has a really nice weekend. This weekend is commissary weekend and next weekend we are shampooing carpets up and down and moving furniture in the living room to accomodate the new love seat, which should be here in about 3 weeks or so. I hope so, as the recliner is totally shot! Talk to you soon. Faye
Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #20  

Good morning, ladies! Going to be 75 degrees today.

I'm feeling better. I'm only working from 1 until 5 today so will be going to lock in at Bella Fabrics tonight. I skipped water aerobics this morning but will be doing my weight lifting and treadmill this afternoon.

Gloria, it was so nice to hear from you. You are doing well to lose weight with all the stress in your life right now.

Faye, Jack is really having a time of it with his body isn't he. They don't always fix hiatal hernias unless they are very bad. Stan had one for years and they just treated it and keep an eye on it. When does he go to the GP?

Jean, I don't know what brought this bout of asthma on but I did notice some of the trees have buds starting and I am allergic to trees so that could be it. I have been off my allergy meds for the winter but will call the doctor today and get them to call in the prescriptions. How did your afternoon group go? Any more late responders?

Maggie, always cooking something good! Will is lucky to have you!

Have a great day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #21  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 44 as I sit here on this thread. It is cooling down some for sure for it was up in the 70's yesterday. I am sitting here sipping my morning coffee which, by the way, is my only one of the day now made at home. We have cut back to two a day. One at home and one about 2 o'clock from Mochas. Where Will gets a red eye and I get a sf ff vanilla latte which has a double shot of espresso in it. Believe me folks that is cutting back for we were drinking coffee all day morning. I have an espresso machine and could make our afternoon drinks here but it is fun to go out for it. It was time for me to load new ink cartridges but the black one wouldn't work. My computer put up a message that it was defected. So Will is out there now taking it back and getting me a new one. I have things I need to print out. I have decided to make crock pot Cowboy Beans to take to the potluck. That will mean I will get all the meat cooked up on Saturday, which is tomorrow, and ready to go into the crock on Sunday morning with all the other ingredients and it will all be ready by the noon meal at the chruch.

DONNA FAYE O-Joy. commissary. Seems like you were just there. Hopefully they have the shelves stocked. Are prices going up there also? They sure are around here in all the stores. Some stores are closing down. Like the "religious" book store. Will just came back from getting my cartridge exchanged at the office supply store across from that store and then went over there. It was almost cleaned out and he asked the gal why wasn't he notified ~ she said the gal was supposed to call all the preachers but didn't. Oh well. Looks like we will be ordering the give-away Bibles on line.

SUSAN I am glad you are feeling so much better. Yep get those meds to working in your system. It must be miserable to be allergic to trees especially in the springtime. Ya know, Will really doesn't like veggies ~ meat and potato man ~ but he likes my stir fry. And believe me it is mostly veggies. I used lemon pepper panko on the meat and that really gave it a lift with the teriyaki sauce.

JEAN Hope you are well this day. How did your card party go?

GAIL Girlfriend please do come back and visit with us.

Well Magnolias I am off to get into something. Will is out working on the garden plot. Yep spring is coming and we want to be ready to plant. And, of course, I need to supervise.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-18-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #22  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining but it is a tad cooler today with rain/snow moving in Sunday and Monday. Most of our snow is gone around the house -- looks pretty grungy with last falls leaves everywhere. I have nothing planned today except getting my nails done and to start on laundry.

Gail -- It's nice of you to check in. I thought you had gone back to work after you retired, or is this retirement #2? Happy Anniversary and an early to you. I think everyone is sick of winter and ready for spring!

Maggie -- I ended up making a lemon bundt cake (from scratch) and served rainbow sherbet with it. Everyone said it was delicious! I have noticed grocery prices are going up and our gas went up 15 cents yesterday! I want the good old days back where prices went up a penny at a time!

"Gma" -- I'm glad that Jack found out what the problem is and I hope it can be controlled with meds. I ended up with 8 yesterday; there are 11 of us. One called and had her work schedule changed because of flu going around while the other 2 are in AZ. I am the sticky note queen! I have them plastered everywhere! I'm sure you will be very proud of Thomas at his Beta Club induction today. There are 2 girl wrestlers at state this year. One lost in the first round and the one who "won" by forfeit was to wrestle a VERY religious young man. His father is a pastor and their belief, according to the Bible they said, is for a man to protect the wife, children, and women. He didn't feel it appropriate to wrestle a girl, and his family, friends, and school district supported his decision. I admire him! It has caused quite a hullabaloo to say the least.

Susan -- I'm glad you are feeling better and felt like going to the Y today. I know you will enjoy your Bella lockin. I knew I could only have 9 gals from the beginning so wasn't worried about running out of food yesterday. I gave the neighbors some cake; I borrowed a teapot from her.

I need to make a grocery list and stop at the Dollar General for church birthday cards. Hope you all have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-18-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #23  

Good morning ladies. I took some sleeping meds so I could get a good night's sleep because I am having another round of not sleeping well. I fell asleep around 8 woke up three times, ugh, but did sleep until 6 when Fortune wanted to go out.

The ceremony yesterday was really nice other than the fact we had to sit on the bleachers and that killed my back and knees. Thomas is the president of Beta Club so he made a great speech. Here he is getting ready to speak. Several of Thomas's friends were inducted including a couple of the girls, I think. We got a laugh out of something though. Thomas loves cufflinks. He has several pairs I guess and french cuff shirts. Well, yesterday he chose to wear a pair that resembled the escape and control buttons on a computer. They were silver and really cute. I guess he doesn't have tie clasps or bars except one. He decided to wear it, I believe unbeknownst to his mom, and it is something his mom and dad bought him at an airport in Miami jokingly. It is a deck or cards fanned out! Luckily, they weren't in color, but silver so unless you were standing really close to him, you didn't know what it was.

We finished up there and came back home and took naps a bit later as we have had several early mornings around here lately. We just hung out then went out and got a bite to eat and came home. I watched a couple episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress," and they went to bed.

Jean: Your cake sounded yummy with the sorbet and I am sure it went over terrific. Sounds like something that would be good for card club. What do you do when all 11 are there and you are at an odd number then? Does someone sit out then exchange or what? It has been deliciously warm here for several days and looks like it will continue to be so. I can't say I am unhappy about it. We do have to get the car out and washed this weekend. It still has the gunk from our trip last week on it. The inside needs a good scrubbing and vacuuming too. We did find out on the trip that either we have microfiber or scotchguarded fabric in our car as Kelly got something on the seat that usually would be difficult to get off and it came right off with just some baby wipes I had.

Susan: According to the doctor I guess it depends on what one you have that there are three types of hiatal hernias. The first one involves acid reflux and it controlled by meds, the second one involved more of the stomach moving up into the chest cavity and that requires surgery and the third one I think Jack said was a combination of both. Jack has the second one, but we shall see what the doctor wants to do because the radiologist said it was a small one as he put it.

Maggie: I know, I do so love commissary shopping, but I save so much money. When we were in Indiana I went into my favorite grocery store up there. It is called Martin's, owned by the Martin family with several stores, but only up there in that area. The store I went into is new and just fabulous. It is huge and has this huge produce section, cheese section, bakery, deli section, cafe, and on and on. I could spend $600 every two weeks in that store I think. They had something like 12 varieties of fresh mushrooms!!! It was clean and wide aisles and just beautiful. Unlike our crummy stores down here. I hate them all.

Well gals, I need to get going. I have several things I need to accomplish today and need to work on a grocery list besides. I have to go out and get hair color and color my hair as the gray is growing right up from the roots I see. Have a good Saturday all. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.jpg (21.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #24  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining again this morning and it's a chilly 28 degrees. The lake is looking "soupy" after a couple of warm days and the fisherman have been warned to get their ice houses off. I have a load of laundry going while Bob has gone back to the office to work in peace and quiet. We have the prime rib dinner at church tonight and he sings tomorrow, plus a meeting with the Staff-Parish Committe tomorrow night. A couple of weeks ago we had a survey of what we liked, didn't like, would change, wouldn't change about the church so I'm thinking they may go over the surveys and/or learn about a new pastor candidate.

"Gma" -- I have to chuckle at Thomas and his cuff links and tie clasp. He is mature beyond his years! The group was a craft group, not a card group so the numbers didn't matter. If we happen to have an odd number for cards, one does sit out a hand and then we take turns rotating in and out with her. I didn't know about the different kinds of hiatal hernias. I don't think I've ever known anyone who had one, or at least that I am aware of. I just hope Jack is able to get some relief whether by meds or surgery. I hate our grocery stores too! Sometimes when we are in other towns we will stop at new stores; I always buy too much but they have items that our stores do not. You have a busy day planned!

Maggie -- What is on your agenda today?

Susan -- Is your lockin overnight this time?

I can hear the dryer so it's time to change loads. I need to vacuum bedrooms this morning and iron clothes for tonight and church tomorrow.

Have a super Saturday and enjoy being alive!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #25  
Thin Within

Talking Cloudy Cool Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a cool cloudy 47 degree day here in the heartland. We still can't get down the alley. Well folks I have a new printer. It is an HP Photosmart Premium C309 with no cords coming to my computer and it does some trick things. Like it has stored in it and will print graff paper in two sizes, calendars and note book paper to name a few things. I like it and Will does also for he offered to trade his for mine. HA ~ he can get one just like it if he wants for I am not trading especially after I have heard him complaining about his for quite awhile now. I am digging out my dehydrator this day and see what I can dry. I have been on a quest for an apple core remover and want one of those that just cuts out the core. I have the kind that you push down on an apple and it comes out in wedges and the one that spiral cuts them but not just a simple pipe like one. I can cut the apples in thin slices then use a little round cookie cutter to cut out the core in each slice. I know where I can find one I want on line but Will is trying to get me one locally. I used to have one but haven't a clue where it disappeared to. When I was a kid I remember seeing my father make one for my mother. He was so handy with everything. He even made the tool to cut asparagus that grew in the ditches with. Well when some of the peppers and such get ripe from our garden I will be ready to dry some of them. Don't ever dry onions though. That is a "no-no" for sure. I am going to re-read the booklet to refresh myself on drying times etc. It has been awhile.

DONNA FAYE I love that red headed kid! He is such a smart one and a charmer to boot. I know you are just beaming to have such a grandchild and you should. Sorry you had to sit in the bleachers. My sis used to take a folding chair along to always have a seat when she couldn't navigate very well with her condition. You might could do that for I am sure "they" would allow it. I would have to take a chair because I don't do bleachers because of my brace. I guess you might call me "handicapped" but I don't know it for I just deal with it and bash on regardless. I find a way.

JEAN Your cake sounds yummy with that sherbet . . . Oh how I love anything lemon. My mom has a lemon tree in her back yard and always kept me in lemons when I lived out on the left coast. She has an orange tree also and a couple avacados. I had a friend that lived in the middle of an avacado ordhard out there that was a superintendant of a school and had an olympic sized swimming pool and a lovely wife and 6 kids. All but one were boys. What was so cool was that they were surfers and I would get the use of their pool to myself some times they were at the beach surfing. AH, the good life in the sun. See how I navigate my post from lemons to swimming. I do go on.

SUSAN What does your quilt you are working on look like? Hope you are breathing well this day.

Everyone have a lovely day. It is time for some lunch already. The dogs are noozing and Will is out looking for an apple core remover and here I sit. He will be ready for lunch when he gets back. Type at y'al later

Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #26  

Good morning all. I am having one of those funny tummies this morning. I do this every once in awhile. It may go away after having breakfast though. I hope so, we have to get out to the commissary today if we are going to eat for the next couple weeks!

Kelly posted pictures of T's ceremony on Facebook and a couple pictures from his boy scout lock this weekend. I saw one that I never thought I would see, Thomas drinking a soda. He never ever drinks soda. In fact, he used to not be able to even tolerate it, but it may be he just doesn't like it now that he is older. It did look like he was having a good time with his new friends.

Tomorrow is Fortune's yearly shots and tests and such. Jack has the day off because of Presidents' Day so I may have him go with me. He can carry him around! He is so good though that he never gives them any problems. He never tries to snap or bite when getting shots, or feces tests, stuff that is uncomforable. He doesn't even cry out. I guess that is why they love him at my vets, he is the perfect patient and with dogs I imagine you don't get too many of them.

I am going to get the house cleaned up and down this week then we are doing all the rugs this weekend and moving living room furniture so that when our loveseat is delivered we have plenty of room. One of the problems with our den is we don't have one solid wall. One wall has an opening to the hallway and juts out for the closet under the stairway, one wall has a fireplace on it, one wall has the back door and the other wall opens up into the kitchen. It makes for creative furniture arrangement, that's for sure. We are looking forward to getting that new loveseat though. It might make Jack more comfortable with his knee. He is really having problems all the time now.

Maggie: We have a wireless printer and I absolutely hate the thing. It is a pain in the behind to use and though it is a printer, fax, scanner, I would rather have the one Jack has up in his office. It is just difficult for some reason. I don't think I have ever had a printer that is more difficult to get it to do something. It was another of those things Jack just had to have, but I end up putting up with.

Jean: I guess I am losing it. You did say it was a craft group, didn't you? I have been looking at cufflinks for Thomas for his birthday. You can get some really cute ones. You know Thomas and I have this ongoing joke about rodents and my fear of them, well I found a pair of mice cufflinks I may get him. I also found the funniest pair of Homer Simpson ones that are circular with Homer in the middle and around the outside it says, "This is Everybody's Fault but Mine!" The thing is, the darn things are not cheap. The cheapest ones I found wer $20, but most of them are in the $50 range and up. I saw an adorable pair, but choked when I saw the price was $120!!! Whoa, I hope the fisherman can get their little "houses" off the lake before they fall in! We have been so very warm here that I am hoping it is just spring come early and stays that way.

Jack and I sat and watched most of that program about the Kennedy's last night. They sure did gloss over some stuff, like Joe Sr was a dirty ole rum runner and made a big chunk of money that way. They went on and on about him earning it in banking and manufacturing and stuff. Yeah, manufacturering illegal booze!!! They also skirted right around the fact he was a huge **** sympathizer. For some reason the Kennedy's dirty secrets when they come are glossed over and excused. It was interesting to see videos of the family and such and see things that hadn't been seen before. I have long held the notion that the conspiracy theory of JFK's death did have some merit but that the Warren commission didn't really want to get into the whys. My thinking is that Bobby and JFK had really stepped on the toes of Giancana and the mob at large. As Attorney General, Bobby had been given permission from JFK to go after them hard and he was. Hoffa absolutely despised Bobby and the reverse was true too. I have long thought that Marilyn Monroe was shut up by the mob because she of what she saw or heard when she was around Bobby and JFK when they were at Sinatra's Hotel where Giancana, who was a friend of Sinatra's, was at too. Even the police at the scened thought is looked staged and she had fresh puncture marks from a needle and no needles or vials for needles were in the room. From a story I read a long time ago, Marilyn was a bit of a blabber mouth when she took her happy pills. On top of that, I have always reasoned that no one looked into why Oswald was shot by Ruby. It made no sense, they supposedly had no connection and Ruby wasn't some nut off the street that loved JFK so much he wanted revenge. Ruby had bigtime ties to the mob and did "jobs" for them and I think Ruby was cleaning up for the mob by silencing Oswald before he could blab. I once read a book on Oswald and his supposed ire for the president didn't make sense. He married a German or Austrian woman and had strong ties to that part of the world, but nothing that really tied him to wanting to kill JFK for his own reasons. So my take is that he was doing it for someone else and I think it was the mob. Jack and I have had lively discussions about this as he thinks I am totally nuts! I guess I am one of those people who never liked not having a clear explanation about why he was shot, why then Oswald was shot by Jack Ruby.

Well gals, I need to type up my grocery list, unload and reload the dishwasher, and get cleaned up and dressed to go shopping. Have a beautiful Sunday today. Faye
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #27  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Happy Sunday morning, everyone! I'm sitting here sipping a cup of tea and eating one of those new WW Lemon Mousse Pie bars for 2 points (can only buy these at a center). Very good! Yum. I like the new and improved program; however, I'm still getting used to the higher points values for most foods especially processed food. Anyway, I'm doing well on it although the weight loss is slooooooow. But unlike other times, I'm in this for the long haul.

Donna Faye, I have the same problem with my hands hurting especially when I'm using the thinner needles (size 2 and 3). When my hands start hurting I let them rest and then I'll switch to another project using needles over a size 5. With the weather being so cold that hasn't helped them either. Thank goodness I like to read. Wayne and I need a miracle in the job area that's for sure. I pray they aren't going to lay him off on Friday but he's been told he was lucky to get a week extension. I know his company will call him back for permanent but don't know when. I worry more about his mental health than anything else. We have talked about the possibility of moving where work is more plentiful; however, I don't think we're quite at that place, mainly because we've been fortunate to have our pensions, savings and investments. Right now, the only place we know he can get work (perhaps for a year) is through the electrical union down in Va. Beach...but we don't want to make the move there because of the taxes. Virginia taxes are incredibly steep. In Delaware, we don't even have sales tax or personal property tax on automobiles. We often joke with our Dads that the fine Commonwealth of Virginia would tax the air one breathes if they could get away with it!

Susan, we are still talking about taking a small trip to Williamsburg (I know you live near there--I have not forgotten) in the spring. We were supposed to go away for our anniversary but with the work situation we have been putting off any pleasure traveling at all. Everytime I see a quilt I think of you!

Maggie, thank you for the welcome back and also thank you for the emails of fun things you send me. I do look at them and sometimes share them with Wayne. I see you are starting to use a wok. I love stir frys although Wayne does not--he's such a meat and potatoes kind of man. Sometimes so annoying...but love him anyway! Actually, it's his simple way of eating that has helped me tremendously in weight loss. One of the positive things about him getting laid off this Friday (although I would love for them to tell him they have found a way to keep him on) is that we will start walking at the park regularly. Walking has been another key in my weight loss efforts. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I bought the latest WW cookbook at the center last week. Each recipe only uses five main ingredients--I'll let you know if I find something that is good...not that Wayne will eat any of them...but I will freeze left overs for me to eat for lunches. God bless him!

Jean, you have a good memory! Yes, I did go back to work for a short while--about 9 months but quit because of the long commute. Took me 90 minutes to get work and then another 90 minutes to get back home. I couldn't take it! I almost had some accidents that left me shook up--not all my fault, I swear! So, yes, I'm retired again and have been for a year now! Time flies!

We are thinking about going to Best Buy this afternoon or tomorrow morning. It's time we replace our computer and printer. I'll try to check in later. My name is being called.

Take care,
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #28  

Jean: Are you guys getting pounded with that snowstorm coming through Iowa today?

Gail: Hope you can continue to come back and visit with us regularly. We miss you around here and prayers for your hubby keeping his job! My brother works for Ford and just recently went back to work full time. He was only working part time there. He is an electrician also, but people just aren't buying vehicles in this economy.

Hope everyone is having a great afternoon. I am waiting for Jack to get back from getting a haircut then we have to go over to Supertarget and get what the commissary didn't have and some hair color for me.

You are NOT going to believe this. I got up this morning and there was water all over the bathroom floor again! GRRRRRR! Jack went over at 8 am and they refused to answer the door so I called and left a message with the owners/landlords and nicely gave her a piece of my mind. I said they had already ruined our flooring and it was time something was done permanently about this as it has happened 3 more times since I talked to her on the phone and she said she would get it solved. I asked her to call me back when she got the message but haven't heard anything. If I don't hear anything by tomorrow morning I am going to call her and talk with her about it.

Talk to you tomorrow, gals! Faye
Old 02-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #29  

Good afternoon, ladies! 50 degrees and sunshine.

I went to bed at 9 pm last night and got up at 9:30 am this morning and after all that sleep I feel wonderful and my breathing is a lot better. I have to go to my cardiologist tomorrow and have an echocardiogram. My PCP thinks the pulmonary hypertension may be worsening. Its so wierd to have borderline low blood pressure in the rest of my body. When I was there earlier this month it was 104/68. I maintained at WW yesterday.

I had to go to Walmart today. I got my hair cut yesterday and so have to color it today. I thought I'd just let it grow out, but I hate the color and there isn't that much grey yet. I found 2 tops for $5 each, a pair of exercise shorts (longer legs) for $3 and a pair of brown clam diggers for $7 on the clearance racks. They had a really cut bathing suit for $15 and I didn't get it so now I'll have to go back tomorrow and see if its still there. The tops have long sleeves but I'll cut them off elbow length. I have ugly upper arms and the summer shirts usually have sleeves that are too short for me.

Faye, I hope the commissary trip wasn't too stressful! I can't believe those nuts next door have overflowed the washer again! They shouldn't be allowed to have one and the landlord should replace your floor.

Gloria, the taxes here in VA are so much less than they were in OH that we were happy to move here. I am about 28 miles from Williamsburg, in the "country" part of York County. Our taxes are the least around here.

My dryer is going off so I need to get busy. Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #30  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful sunny day here in the heatland. I did so well at the pot-luck I am patting my self on the back. I only ate a small amount of my Cowboy Beans and a piece of chicken tender that was baked with BBQ sauce on it. And once again I was able to stay away from the dessert table. A gal brought a home made choclate cake that I just know was 25 points a slice but I stayed away from that as well. OOO ~ all of those yummy point laden wonderful looking desserts and I don't even have a regret passing them up. I even had a little 5 year old ask if he could get me something. When I told him how nice it was for him to offer but no thank you. He said, "Then just use some lip gloss and drink your coffee." I love that little guy. We went for a lovely drive all about in the near country side afterward and had a wonderful time. Now back home here I sit sipping my sf ff latte just as if I had good sense. We took Ragg Mopp and Beanie with us and they both behaved quite well. Good thing they both like to ride and don't get car sick.

GAIL I think I just might have that same cookbook. Is itt called "Just 5, 125 Recipes with 5 Ingredients?" Please do let me know which recipes you try and like. LOL Will thinks he is a meat and potato man but has found out he likes my stir-fry concoctions. If I ever make (which hardly ever happens) something he doesn't like; there is always something in the freezer he does like. That Lemon Mousse Pie bar sound lovely. Wonder if they will get them here since it is the only WW for miles around. Maybe not since it isn't what they call a "center." I will have to see tomorrow night when I go.

DONNA FAYE Not again! Yikes ~ I am sure you will have words for that lousy neighbor. I love that kid that likes french cuffs and cuff links. What a fashion plate he will be. I know those links can get quite spendy but if he is a good keeper they will last for years to come. Sorry you have a lousy printer ~ mine works like a charm. I got a good laugh when I was setting it up though. Will plugged the cord into the back of it and into my computer so I could then get the wireless mechanism working. It wouldn't work. I tried it again and still nothing. I turned the printer around and lo-and-behold Will had plugged the cord into the wrong slot. I changed it and voilla every thing worked like slick butter and I got it all set up.

SUSAN You have been finding the greatest deals on clothing. You go girl. Congratulations on that maintain. I am so glad you are feeling better. Let us know please what the doc says about your results.

I have got to go now. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-20-2011 at 05:21 PM.