Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #31  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Snowed in! We are getting someone to come and dig us out tomorrow. Until then I guess my husband and I only have a bottle of wine and each other! Well we have more than that but those are the important things tonight.
Like a fool I tried to shovel some of the road today by hand and immediately after I went inside the snow blew back in. I can only guess what I must have looked like. Most people out here on farms have quads or tractors to clear their roads. I had my little broken snow shovel and was talking happily away to the horses as I shovelled. It was a fruitless effort but a bit of a workout I guess.
Anyways I hope everyone is doing all right and having better weather than the prairies! I also fervently hope that I haven't cleared the Canadian room with my presence. (Like so many parties...) lol
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Yup, we have had 35 centimetres...I got stuck on my way back from shopping and some kind peeps pushed me out!
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #33  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yep, thatsa lotta ******* ... we had a storm like that in December -- it snowed for a few days in a row and by the time it was done, we had snow drifts up to the bottom of our windows; then it moved down south and my SM sent up some pics from their area (Wasaga Beach) and the snow was up to the windows of bungalows there too ...

TAM ~ not2worry girl, we don't get spooked that easily -- we're tuff 'ole Canadians here, after all ... If we can brave all this cold, we can brave most anything, I think! I can recall DH and I doing the same thing -- how were we supposed to know that it was going to snow for a whole week?

TEA2 ~ I hope that system isn't coming our way; you can keep it out there, thanks ...

I put on a nice plump chicken for dinner tonight with loads of veggies: onions, carrots, celery, turnip, green beans, broccoli, yams, and small new potatoes. My, it smells nice in here -- can't wait ... Just having a quiet weekend at home as the temps have dropped here; down to -17C this AM but with some lovely it came up quite a bit for awhile. Now that the sun has gone to sleep, it is getting chilly in here again.

Hope all our fellow Canucks have a great week coming up; keep warm Chickies ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-09-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #34  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Sounds like we've been having the same weather! We had 28cm over a day and a half (just 1.3cm short of a record), it's stopped for now but starting tomorrow we're supposed to get another 15cm My car is dead so I've been driving hubby's 4x4 truck thank goodness! It's lifted up a few inches so we have good clearence but the tires are a bit sucky. We haven't gotten stuck yet, cross your fingers. My husband loves it... literally he says "Oh look! A snow pile!" then he'll drive right into/over it. Hah... boys and their toys.

Hope you guys are keeping safe.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 01-11-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I tell ya girls, I'm having one heck of a time getting on track and setting a routine and menu plan. The kids have been sick pretty much non stop, not hard I guess when I have 3, sometimes 4 in the house. First the chicken pox went through and then strep throat and now the doc seems to think it's mono. My oldest has had it the worst, with fevers, sore throat, neck and swollen lumpynodes, he's also got a funny voice. My middle boys just has cold symptoms with the funny voice.

There's no school today, luckily my brother could watch the two oldest today with his two and my little went to daycare.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #36  
Gotta run!

Sorry to hear everyone's been so sick Donna! That stinks! I really hope they get better fast.

I'm still not back on track but theres a new X-Weighted challange starting on the 15th. I did it last year and it was excellent so I plan to do it again this year If anyone wants to join me google X-Weighted and find the official site... it's a Canada wide challange that is completely done online. Theres great prize incentives, lots of knowledge and online support. I've signed up to be a mentor this year since I successfully completed the challange last year and met my goal weight. Bit nervous about that but I'll just do the best I can.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #37  
Rosebud

DONNA ~ oh dear, that's terrible -- am sending up some prayers for your kiddies again; they sure need 'em ... hope those docs are helping them out with some good meds too!

What kind of plan are you looking for? Something easy and simple? Portion plans are pretty simple -- you just eat a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus some small healthy snacks in between; no calorie or carb counting.

The main thing to focus on is portion sizes of healthy whole foods and some quick snacks, which are so easy as most stuff today have the portion sizes mentioned on the packages. Many good snacks already come in portion sizes like Jello SF puddings, jello, fruit cups, yogurts, and fiber bars, etc. The Portion Plan is one of the easiest plans I know of and it fits right in with a family situation too.

*THE NO-DIET DIET * ~ here's a synopsis of the simple Portion Plan ...

You just take your favorite meals and make them as healthy as possible. For example, have a bowl (1 cup) of any whole grain cereal or porridge FOR BREAKFAST with a coffee, if desired. If hungry, you can also have a slice of toast too (but I just have the 1 cup cereal). Once or twice a week (ie weekends) you can have an alternate breakfast of choice like an omelette & toast; OR a medium wg bagel & PB, if you like.

FOR LUNCH, you can have any lean meat sandwich & soup OR sandwich & a salad (ie tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey, lean beef, ham, etc.) Plus a drink like tea, water, or 50/50 juice as mentioned below.

FOR DINNER ~ you have any favorite full meal ie baked lean poultry or beef, OR fish, etc with veggies and/or salad, small tators and/or yams OR brown rice; other dinners you can have like Spagetti and meatballs, Stew, Chili, etc. On Friday nights we have whatever we like for dinner like pizza & salad or a lean hamburger & salad. Whole Grain Pasta, Brown Rice, Potatoes, and beans have up to 1 cup cooked serving; same for porridge (large flaked oatmeal or natural cream of wheat, etc) or whole grain cereal too.

FOR SNACKS ~ Fruit for your morning snack ie a banana, orange, or berries, etc. You can have a snack in the afternoon and evening too: like fresh or baked fruit, yogurt, snack pudding or jello, cheddar cheese & 4 wg soda crackers, etc. Most desserts or snacks should be 1/2 cup each or a serving size.

FOR BEVERAGES ~ water, tea, coffee, diluted juices like pure cranberry juice once a day: 50/50, or milk (skim, 1%, or 2%), or diet sodas. You can have a drink with each snack and meal; and try to have some water in between that (1/2 to 1 cup).

AUNTY ~ that sounds interesting; I will take a looksee ... Can't really blame your DH -- the guys up here just love the snow too. They can't wait to get their snowmobiles out as soon as some falls. The north calls to all those who love the outdoors: hunting, fishing (including ice-fishing), ATV-ing, cross-country skiing, and ski-dooing, etc.

The temps have dropped here a bit; we had for a few days in a row -- that was nice. Today, we had some more ***** but I don't mind as so much of it melted a while back and it really helps to keep us warm up here. I can hear the winds howling through the furnace vents right now.

Have a great week, fellow CANUCKS ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-12-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #38  
Rosebud

Boy, it's quiet here this week; hope you all are feeling better. I made some nice homemade chicken soup this week for our lunches and that really helped us to feel better. One of the secrets of Gramma's homemade chicken soup is putting a dash or two of CAYENNE PEPPER in it: now, just a few dashes per pot. That is the SECRET INGREDIENT in chicken soup that helps to clear up conjestion in the head and chest. When I roast a chicken, I save some of the broth for soup; and add in some of the roasted veggies and maybe some brown rice and/or pot barley too. Onions are another ingredient that also help to clear conjestion (got that from my Gramma). I make this soup a lot in the winter time.

Our temps have dropped down the almost -20 C tonight ; and we have a strong northern wind. They are predicting colder temps next week; hope it doesn't get too low. Best that we all bundle up and maybe even stay indoors during these cold spells as much as possible.

Have a restful Sunday, eh ... Rosebud
Old 01-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

We're sitting at -46C right now. I'm on the mend but I'm still having horrible neck pain and I'm not sure what it is because I've been having the neck pain about a week before the strep throat started.. I really need to start exercising again, maybe that will help.

I'm trying to get my husband to exercise more too as he's keeps hurting himself and I'm worried, he is 15 years older than I am so that makes a huge difference.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #40  
Rosebud

DONNA ~ oh my, that is super cold ... what brave souls you are all way up there. We got down to -25+C last night, but had lovely all day today and that warmed us up nicely. They are predicting the -30's C this coming week, but I hope they aren't right or that it won't last long.

Sounds like the whole family could use some prayers for healing and strength right now; I bet that's so hard to take care of a sick family and home, and work on top of that. You must be another Canadian SUPERWOMAN; we seem to breed them in Canada. I wish parents didn't have to work so hard today, so that they could stay home to look after their families when they are young and sick. That was so nice of your brother to offer to look after the two older sick boys for you. Hope they are feeling better real soon.

We had Prime Rib Beef Roast with loads of roasted veggies, small new potatoes, and yams tonight for dinner. It was really nice for a cold, winter night; and have lots leftover for tomorrow and some for a soup as well.

We just stayed home today to keep warm indoors. I am supposed to go to the dentist tomorrow AM just to get my teeth cleaned but I wish they wouldn't make my appts between January-March; guess I am gonna have to remind them again ...

We heard the south got some more ***** over the weekend. Hope all our Canucks are keeping toasty warm; and that you have a good week ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-16-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #41  
Rosebud

Well, the temps warmed up enuff for us to get to the dentists; and all went OK, except they say I have a small cavity and want me to go back at the beginning of February ... drats! We'll see if the car starts in these -35+ C temps they are predicting -- may have to delay that appt if it gets there. I just heard some crackling noises; this always happens when the temps get down low (in the -20's C again) ...

Yeppers, the furnance is working hard tonight ... hope you are all keeping warm out there; made a pot of homemade south-western type of beef soup with beans and corn, etc. Lots leftover for tomorrow and put some in the freezer too. Oh, soup is just perfect for these cold temps.

We had lovely today; and there's a really nice full moon out there tonight. Have a wonderful Wednesday ... Rosebud
Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #42  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Donna: I was whining about it going from -20 to 0 and back down to -10, but your temps remind me to be grateful for what I have! I remember the year I lived in Quebec City, it stay below -40 for over 2 weeks, and that was during Carnivale. We were all outside half the time with winter games, parades etc. I hope things will stay about this temp (-10) for a while, I like it cold and wintery, but not arctic!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #43  
Gotta run!

So? Did any other Canadians join the X-Weighted challenge? I've had a horrible start, I haven't had time to do anything and I'm still eating junk... someone kick my butt! Ug. I have to do this.. I cannot fail!!!!!

We've had record snowfalls here... the roads are sssooo bad. A lot of previously two lane roads are down to one lane because there's just to much snow on the sides of the roads. I'm talking main city streets, it is causing such a mess!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #44  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Jam View Post
So? Did any other Canadians join the X-Weighted challenge? I've had a horrible start, I haven't had time to do anything and I'm still eating junk... someone kick my butt! Ug. I have to do this.. I cannot fail!!!!!
I didn't know about it until yesterday when I read about it here on the forums ... the link to me to the X-Weighted site but I found out the registration closed the day before. Nevermind, I am not really sure if I would have signed up - maybe - I am not one to set weightloss goals by a certain date - but I will follow up on the challenge with interest.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #45  
Rosebud

AUNTY ~ I didn't get a chance to get over there to check it out yet! I didn't realize that there was a sign-up deadline until TOMATO mentioned it here. Oh well, I was a bit concerned to try and do a challenge becuz I didn't want to make one so hard that I wouldn't be able to keep it; and then feel like a dork.

I'm on an old PC and for certain reasons have to be careful what I do and where I go, etc -- long story; ho-hum ... I could rant a bit, but I won't becuz a newer PC is on it's way ... sooner than later, I hope. It's coming all the way from down south.

The temps here went down to -30 C last night; chilly ... But DONNA still has us all beat in that department. I still don't like these temps though; and they expect it to get worse by the weekend ...

The came out to play today and warmed us up to -16 C ... yeah!

Just stayed home and did vacuuming and stuff around here today; it's supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow, so we'll see. Bundle up good and keep warm out there ... Rosebud