Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 09:45 AM   #346  

Good morning girls. How is everyone. Everyone except Miki is on my doo doo list. Where was everyone last night when we were supposed to chat???? I missed you. Oh well, I wasn't able to talk for very long. My husband had rented the movie Deliverance and he wanted me to watch it with him.

I'm not going to the gym today and I probably won't go tomorrow either. I am soooooooooo busy!! Today I have to get all my Christmas Baking done and laundry laundry laundry!!! Also, my sugreon had to reschedule my appt from yesterday to today at 12:30. I can't wait to get some questions answered. Tomorrow I have to get my house clean, grocery and Christmas shopping done and have everyone packed and ready to leave for Missouri by 5:30pm.

Okay, debee and MikiG...you have both had your Gallbladders out right? Did they do the laparoscopic surgery on you with the tiny holes? If so...did they bring the gallbladder out of your belly button? I think that is what they will do to me. I'm really concerned that my nice inney will become an outey. How big are the scars and where are they? How long were you in the hospital after the surgery? Did you get to see your gallbladder afterwards? That would be cool!!!! Actually, any information and /or advice would be appreciated from anyone!!!

Cyan, I have been thinking about you and your mother. You made the right decision and Your parents are very lucky to have you. A lot of kids would not step up to the responsibility.

Taiwan...I hope you are feeling better. You're right ! The Runs are no way to lose weight. One time I got sick like that and I couldn't control things....(if you know what I mean). It went on for 3 days!!!!!! It was horrible. I lost 5 pounds!! But I also had what felt like diaper rash.

Lady, I love your enthusiasm for exercise. You really seem to have a great love of life. That's awesome. Those books sound very cool. I love to read. Maybe I'll check in to them.

Reina_Mia...how are you? I was so jealous when I heard about your day of pampering. I really need that. I have so much stuff to do...I don't know when I'm going to get a break. This weekend we're going to Branson for a family trip with the WHOLE family. There's 33 of us. Jeff's (my husband) grandparents take the whole family on a trip every Christmas as their gift to us. It's awesome. It probably won't be a very relaxing trip though. With the kids, I never get to just do whatever I want to do. However...next weekend I'm going to Florida with my parents and my sister and my brother for my other brother's wedding. My kids are staying home with dear hubby. I will miss the kids, but I can't remember the last time I had a conversation with my parents without kids butting in or causing problems. I'm really excited, but most of all, because I've never seen the ocean before. I've asked my parents that when we get there to drive me to Pensacola beach and just let me out by myself so I can really take in the experience. I think it will be an emotional and spiritual experience for me.

Well, gals. I'm off to start my chores. I really want to leave tomorrow night with a clean house. It's a bad feeling when you're house is messy!

Talk at ya later!!
Lisa
Old 12-18-2002, 11:14 AM   #347  

Good Morning all,
I had a good day yesterday, I stayed within my calorie range and was at 1456 calories, but 58grams of fat I have to bring that down!. It was the ground beef in the pasta sauce.
Can anyone tell me the calorie count for Fannie May Mint Meltaway's? Those are my favorite and I am dying for 1 or 2 that are sitting on my company table for the last 3 days, but I won't consume if I don't know the calorie count. That is my new way of restricting the food intake? What do you think????

Lisa, Sorry I missed the chat yesterday, I was wrapping gifts and had a 3 year old climbing on me in the process, so it was a little hectic. I would have loved to be there. It was fun last time. As far as the gallbladder surgery, my husband had it done the laprascopic way and his innie is still intact. So you don't have to worry about that. His scars are like tiny lines, about 1/4 inch long and barely noticable. I believe he was out the next day. It is a very fast procedure, but the recovery is about 1 1/2 weeks to be back to normal. Rather that the 30 day recovery back in the 80's. I am sure you will be fine and up and about in no time.

Taiwan, Sorry to hear you had a reaction to a diet drink like that. That is what happens to me when I drink Slim-fast! Oh brother, look out
Hope you are feeling better. Eat some toast!

LadyRider,
Looks like you had a blast with your friend. It is good to have someone close to you like that who can relate to your healthy living. About the books, sounds like they are really interested and keeping you well motiviated and goal-oriented. Keep up the good work with the weights!

Cyan, I am glad to hear that your mother is showing a little improvement without the antidepressents. I totally know what you mean about leaving her. My grandma would cry when I left her at the end of the night. I hated that part...She is in my prayers everyday, and so are you to continue to be strong. I get weepy thinking about the days with my grams'. I have one suggestion for you:
Cherish each and everyday with your mom, like its the last....Don't ever take any day for granted...If I had any regrets about my past, it would be that I DIDN'T understand that suggestions at the age of 22. Give your mom a hug for me!

MikiG, I hope you are feeling better so you can get back and give some more motivational pep talks...

Debee, sounds like you are totally overwhelmed. It sounds like you have a great beautiful summer home. Congrats on that, and remodeling must be a drag. Hope it comes out beautiful...

Well ladies, I am hoping for another great day, and I am challenging myself to drinking 9 glasses of water today... If I say it here, I have to come back and post results. I love the accountability part of this group.

Have a blessed day everyone
Old 12-18-2002, 11:24 AM   #348  

Reina_Mia, You're sounding VERY motivated!!! I want to meet your challenge about drinking water 9 8oz glasses today. As for food...uh...my goal as of now is moderation on the yummy goodies and try to fit in some veggies. My Christmas is starting tomorrow!

I measured myself yesterday and compared to the beginning of our HOliday Challenge:
Chest was:42 now is: 41
upper arm was: 15 now: 12.5
waist was: 39 now:39
hip was: 47 now: 47
thigh was: 24 now: 23.5

I've lost a total of 4 inches. not bad. I can really tell the difference in my arms. I have muscles!!!

I still weigh the same as I did then. 184.5

Well, see y'all later!
Lisa
Old 12-18-2002, 05:29 PM   #349  

Hi, just a quick note before I go out to dinner with the kids and hubby and drive around to see the Christmas lights. Lisa, just like reina mia said about her husbands gallbladder surgery--the scars are very small, my belly button is still an innie and although my hubby wanted to take my gallbladder home in a jar, I passed on looking at it. I could not drive for about two weeks and right after the surgery I was sore for a few days. However, I recovered much quicker than when I had a c-section with my first son. The good news is that in the two years I have had it out I never have had any problems. Good luck and if you have any other questions please let me know.

Cyan, I hope things are going better with your mom. You seem to be a very caring daughter and sometimes the hardest things we have to do, we do for love.

Miki and Taiwan hope your feeling better.

Lady rider I love Sue Grafton books.I just wish I had more time to read.

I thought it might be a nice idea with Christmas coming soon if we wrote our own letter to Santa. My next post I will staqrt my wish list.

Talk to you all soon.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:52 PM   #350  

Debee Letter to Santa

Dear Santa,

What I would like this year are gifts you can not get at the local mall. I would like:

1. To fit in a size 6 black sequin strapless evening gown. While in my gown I would like you to transform my off-key singing into that of Billie Holiday so I can drape myself over a piano in front of an adoring crowd.

2. To have my husband realize that being a stay-at-home mom is one of the toughest jobs on earth.

3. To have my sons always need their mother as much as they do now when they are seven and four.

4. To help me appreciate all of the wonderful gifts of health, friendship, love and support that I receive everyday.

5. To start and end each day with a smile.

6. To eliminate the "clutter" in my life --too many material things, too much junk food, too many negative thoughts.

7. And last but not least to always look at life as an adventure and live with no regrets.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:18 PM   #351  

Well, since I am still waiting for my husband to come home and have some time I was wondering if someone can help me figure out how to get my picture on the message board. Last Christmas I got a digital camera however, although I can take pictures with it, I have been just getting them developed at the camera store because I'm not sure how to hook it up to my computer. One of my new year resolutions is to learn more and set up a web site so I can share my photos with my family and friends. As you can probably tell I am not very computer literate.

Having everyones photo on this site does make it seem more personal and hopefully by the new year I can get mine on too.

By the way, I was wondering if anyone is in weight watchers
I was about two years ago and only lost 8 pounds. I dropped out after five months because it was too hard with my youngest son to make the meetings. I was thinking about joining again in the next few months since my son now goes to pre-school five days a week.

My husband just came in so I better go. Good night and hope all is well.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:02 PM   #352  

Default Dear Santa

Dear Santa,

For Christmas this year I want the following:

ENERGY to keep my house nice and clean and play with my kids and help them with homework and learning activities, be a full time nursing student, a good wife, and always have dinner on the table at dinner time and to take care of myself and exercise every day

WISDOM to know that I don't always have to be perfect.

KINDNESS so that I don't hurt other's feelings and so that I am considerate and a good friend so that others will want to be around me

ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS so that I can always have my studying and homework done, bills done, grocery shopping done, and still have time to workout and do things with my family and friends.

WILLPOWER to say NO to those bad foods that will make me fat!

SELF ESTEEM so that I will know that no matter what size I am, I am still a child of my Heavenly Father and he loves me.

Last but not least, I want to feel at PEACE with where I am at this stage of my life. While I am always striving to be better and to learn and to grow closer to God, I am doing what I need to be doing NOW.

Sincerely,
Lisa
Old 12-18-2002, 07:51 PM   #353  
I will make it!

Angry Good Evening Ladies

My Letter to Santa and all who grant wishes

1. To have my Mom not have alzheimers
2. To have my Mom home for the holidays
3. To have my Mom want to eat so that she can come home.
4. To lose weight.
5. To stay healthy

Today I ate 1552 cals and 52 grams of fat...I went over my 52 cals...Reina...oh oh....I went over my 52 cals ...tomorow I will have to be under by 52 cals to even it out....How are you doing?

Lisa...wow you lost lots of inches around your arms...way to go and 4 inches is awesome...I havent had a chance to measure myself put I have lost another pound on the scale.

Everyone, thank you for your prayers and good wishes...its means more than anything...more that what words can say...keep it coming.

Tomorrow my Mom will have a stomach ultrasound and then on friday a Gastro GI exam...and then if all goes well, she will come home. Keep your fingers crossed

Cyan
Old 12-18-2002, 09:49 PM   #354  

Hi everyone!

I'm feeling somewhat better today. Worked all day, then on the way home, I heard on the radio that the warning sirens were going off in town and that a tornado had been sighted 7 miles from me and that everyone should take cover. Well, I was about 3 miles from my house, and Josh, my 13 yr old was home alone so no way was I stopping! I FLEW home and arrived just as my sis ( who had my 10 yr old ) had come to get Josh to go with her. My sis and her family went to her mother-in-law's ( who has a storm shelter ) and Josh,Luke, and I all went and sat in Josh's closet for 45 minutes. It was hot and stuffy, and thankfully nothing happened, but it was nerve-wracking.

Everything seems calm now but there's a watch out until 9:00 pm. So far, we have always been lucky. There have been several tornadoes within a few miles of us over the years, but never right where we live. I feel much better now that we bought a house this year. Before, we lived in a mobile home.

I'll try to take my measurements in the next day or two. When I do, I'll be sure to post them (for better or worse..lol) My Christmas get-togethers start this Saturday. My family has Christmas with my mom Saturday at lunch 2 and a half hrs away, then that nite, is hubby's work party so we'll be in a rush to make both. I hate having 2 on the same day. Christmas Eve is spent with my Dad, then Christmas Day is at my hubby's grandmother's, and that evening at his parents. Whewww...I'm already tired just thinking about it all.

I just realized I havent been drinking my water like I used to! I think that makes a major difference in the way I eat, and I have got to get back into that habit. I do drink water with my meals, but lately, I rarely drink any at other times of the day. I guess that's a challenge for me...to get back into my water drinking.

Lisa, I wasnt able to have the simple gallbladder surgery. I had some stones lodged that could only be removed by way of the old way..CUTTING! My scar is diagonally across my tummy and about 6 inches long or more. I also had complications and had to have a drainage bag attached which I ended up having to leave in even after I came home for awhile. Nothing I ever do is normal..lol My hysterectomy was the same way...had to do the cutting thing then too...a bikini scar about 4 inches or so across. I also had to have 2 C-sections because my birth canal was too small. ( proves that body size doesnt matter in giving birth ). As you can see, hubby can practically play tic-tac-toe if he wants.. Dont worry, tho, most people nowdays are able to have the laproscopic surgery and in about 2 weeks feel good as new!

Cyan, I'm proud of the way you're continuing on the healthy journey even while undergoing the stress of taking care of your parents. You're an inspiration to me.

Lady, thanks for the story. You always make me smile with your posts.

Reina_Mia...glad you had a good day today! Thanks for reminding me about my water! I didnt even realize how much I had slacked off in that area. How were your 2 parties over the weekend?

Debee, I hope you can get your pic on here soon. It's cool seeing everyone. I have never tried Weight Watchers, but my cousin lost 60 lbs this past summer doing that. She started in Feb and had lost 60 by August. She looks great! I just cant get into counting up all those points.

Poor Taiwain, I feel for you. I know that's a miserable feeling. I hope you get to feeling better very soon. Just proves we need to do this the healty way, not the "Get thin quick" way that almost always are a scam anyway.

Well, hubby wants a turn on the computer. What nerve! LOL Just kidding, guess he deserves to use it occasionally too.

Nite all....I'll post more soon

MIKI
Old 12-18-2002, 11:50 PM   #355  
SW164 CW138 24lbs to Goal

Default I lLost Another Pound

Hi Everyone!
Boy last night was different. I went to bed about 11:30 and just couldn't get to sleep. At 2:30am I decided I may as well get up and do something rather than lie there figiding, so I got up and made chocolate dipped pretzels for Christmas. I did both the white and milk chocolate and finished up at 5am! Well, I went up stairs to try to get some sleep, and my 150 lb Mastiff was sleeping in my place. Have you ever tried to move a sleeping Mastiff? Easier to sleep on the couch, which is what I tried to do. I dozed for 30 minutes, but then Bryan got up. I finally went to bed at 7 this morning and slept 'till 10am. Then I spent most of the day making fudge and the dough for the cookies I will make tomorrow. I made it through the whole day of baking and cooking and only had 2 small pieces of fudge ( I LOVE fude!) and 2 chocolate pretzles. I'm so proud of myself!

We went to my granddaughter's school play this evening and stopped at Hardees on the way for supper. I had a small roast beef sandwich, small fries and water. When I got home I looked up the calories on 3FC and was surprised to see dinner cost me 650 calories and it wasn't that good. Hardees and Wendys are two of my favorite fast food places, so I printed out the nutrition list so I will be better prepared to make good choices next time.

I downloaded a great weight tracking program called Weight Commander and I really like it. I'm too tired to go into the details here, but it is a small program that is totally packed with goodies. I entered my weights for the past 90 days, and when I turned on the program today a red warning was flashing. I clicked on it and it told me to be careful, an evaluation of my weight for the past 90 days shows I usually gain on Thursdays. I never realized that. Then it showed a chart of the days of the week so I could see the pattern for each day. Totally Cool!

It is almost midnight, and I've got to get some sleep tonight,
talk to you all tomorrow.

Stay Well, Take Care,

Lady
Old 12-19-2002, 10:50 AM   #356  

Bad Reina, Bad Reina!
Ok, I was good for most of the day, but blew it in the evening! I had about 850 cals by 3pm and last night, family wanted Chicken from KFC. I just can't seem to find anything there that is healthy. Their Chicken breast sandwich tasted awful last time, and I just was too tired by that time to want to stop at Subway to get a sandwich, so I settled for a chicken breast, mashed potatoes and cole slaw. I rang in the night with 1697 cals and 47gm of fat! &
I did drink only 5 glasses of water yesterday, so I still didn't reach my goal for the water, but I am challenging myself again today! I won't have any coffee this morning either.

LadyRider, I have so had those nights where I just can't sleep. I usually work on my scrapbooks on nights like that. Sounds like your willpower was very strong that night, to only have 2 pieces of fudge. I know that temptation. I will make sure to check out that website.

MikiG, how scary is that! I couldn't imagine the fear for that drive home. Thank God that everything turned out for the best and you and your kids were safe. You are one Brave woman! My parties turned out good, I paced myself for both of them and eating wasn't that bad. I tried a little of everything so I wouldn't feel deprived, but it was very small amounts. How did the water intake go?

Cyan, I hope things are looking better for your mom. I will pray that all the tests come out with good news. Keep the faith!

Congrats on losing the inches, You are truly an huge motivator in my journey. Keep up the good work.

I love all your wishlists, they just show how caring and loving you all are!

My Wishlist for Santa
1. To find the self-esteem to make my life change a successful one!
2. To have the strength to have a workable relationship with my in-laws
3. To learn how to turn all negativity that surrounds me and my family and make it a positive situation
4. To live each day to the fullest and not take another day for granted.
5. Hope and pray that my son, husband and myself will have a long and healthy life.

I am starting my family tradition on Saturday of making the 40 dozen of fresh homemade Tamales, so I will not be on at least until Monday night!. I will check in on Friday, but I hope you all have a great day and I will check back soon.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #357  

Hello all. I'm busy busy busy, so I don't have a lot of time. I just wanted to check in before I go out of town tonight. We're going to Branson and I won't be back until Sunday night. So, everyone, have a great weekend. I will miss you all. I will be thinking of you while I am gone.

Lisa
Old 12-19-2002, 12:13 PM   #358  
I will make it!

Angry Good Afternoon Ladies

I thought I would check in here before heading off to the hospital for my usual afternoon visit. My Mom's tests are done in the morning and I will be meeting with her doctor today at 1.30pm...wish me luck.

So far diet wise...pretty good 500 cals and 21 grams of fat...so I am keeping up with that. Althoug I have not been cycling all week but I have been walking to the hospital and running around getting medical files for the doctors and other clinics...yeesh, they have me working for them instead of the other way around.

Miki...wow on the turnado..that must have been scary...glad to hear that all went well. Water water water...Drink drink drink

Reina...keep going...dust yourself off and try again...you are doing so well...keep it up.

Hi Lady...I must say I can usually sleep but on ocaision I do experience sleepless nights...they suck...and its always a weekday and the next day I have to get up early to go to work...ugh!...that weight commander sounds cool...how much did you pay for it.

Lisa have a great trip and enjoy yourself to the max! Looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Debee to upload your picture just click on usercp on the top menu and then edit options...once on that page...scroll all the way down to avatar ...on the right hand side below the picture of your avatar press on the button that says change avatar...once on that page..scroll all the way down to the section that says use custom avatar...on the right hand side there is a button called browse..click there and find on your computer where you stored your picture that you want to use....click it and it will upload it and you will have your new picture...its easy...hope I was clear.

Taiwan..hope you are doing well..hang in there and congrats on your new dumbells...your hubby sounds like a real sweetheart

Take care all..I am off to see my Mom

Cyan
Old 12-19-2002, 06:11 PM   #359  

Cyan, I hope your mom is doing better. Thank you for the advice on getting my picture on the computer. I will try it right after the holidays.

Miki, my seven year old son wants to grow up to be a weatherman and is loves reading about tornados. He is always telling me that he wants to be a storm chaser. In Philly we don't get many tornado warnings but I'm sure it was scary.

Lisa have a great trip.

Lady rider, I love chocolate pretzels!

I had my ladies lunch today. It was great seeing all my friends together. I realized how lucky I am to have such great friends (just like I am lucky to have found all of my new friends at this site). Some I see everyday (mostly at the bus stop or at my son's preschool) but a few others I only get to see a few times a year. One such friend is Jen. We lived near eachother a few years ago but when I moved about 45 minutes away we now only see eachother a few times a year. When she walked in I almost did not recognize her. She lost 40 pounds since May. She is in weight watchers and was encouraging me to start in the new year. I must admit I was a little depressed and even jealous.

I wish I had the willpower to stop eating. No but instead I ate a lemon square, a cheesecake tartlet, a truffle, eggnog, and my fattening chicken dish. My other size 6 friend was talking about how she just bought a new scale that measures body fat and how it showed that she was out of shape. AFTER THAT CONVERSATION i ATE THREE PIECES OF FUDGE. My skinny friends just do not understand what a struggle it is when you have a weight problem. As a size 12 or 14 I am twice the size of most of my size 6 and 8 friends.

I know that my weight should not take up so much of my thoughts but sometimes I think it si my lack of willpower to control my weight that bothers me more. I see people all around me losing weight and for some reason I am not able to control myself. I need to get a kick in the butt to really start to motivate myself.

Well I have a sink of dishes to do and presents to finish wrapping so I better go. Sorry about venting but I just needed to write.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:37 PM   #360  

Well, yesterday I thought I was almost well because I felt so much better. Not so sure now. I feel awful again tonite, and I think Phil ( my husband ) is also getting sick. We dont have time for feeling bad! We still havent finished all the shopping, and our Christmases start this Saturday!

Dont feel up to posting much, but I did take my measurements again today and thought I'd fill you all in. Ok, I copied this from my posting the week before Thanksgiving:

Weight: 228 lbs ( started at 235 2 weeks ago )
Waist: 43.5 inches
Chest: 44.5 inches
Hips: 52 inches
Thighs: 26.5 inches
Arms: 15 inches

Ok, now here's the latest:

Weight: same
Waist: 43 inches
Chest: 45 inches ( what's up with that?? )
Hips: 52 inches
Thighs: 26 inches
Arms: 14 inches

Not too bad, I guess..at least I have maintained, but I was hoping to do much better. Just hope I dont blow it during Christmas!

Lisa and Reina...we'll miss you the next few days! (Lisa, I love Branson, we've been there several times)

Debee, you've got to stop that bingeing!! Sounds just like me at times, but afterwards, I know you hate it. Besides, you're twice their size, but I'm twice YOURS so it could be worse..lol

Cyan, I hope today you find out something helpful from your mom's tests. Let us know how things go.

Lady_Rider, I hope tonite you get lots of rest. It's awful to be tired and not be able to get to sleep. Good job on not overdoing it on the goodies.

Taiwain, Didnt see a post from you today. Hoping you're doing well!! Miss ya.

Well, time to hit the couch! Still no exercise for me. Just still dont feel quite up to it. Soon, I hope!

Bye for now

MIKI
Closed Thread