Old 10-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #48

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another beautiful day in my corner of the world! It's 72 degrees as I'm typing and the tree in my front yard is gently losing it's leaves. It looks like it is raining leaves. I've been doing laundry and dusting my livingroom shelves. I have several outdated pictures in frames so have been taking them apart. The frames will go in a box for the girls to go through this weekend; what they don't want is going to the SOS Store. Bob left for the farm early this morning so it will be a long day for him; it's a good thing he enjoys it.

Not much newsy from here. I have bell choir this afternoon at 5, otherwise I'm home which is rare these days.

Faye -- I hope we 'see' you today.

My washer is done so need to hike back down to the basement. Enjoy your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #2  

Hey gals! I am still really under the weather and am taking meds to decongest, but I am worn out from coughing. I am going with the cold idea simply because I am coughing so very much and when I cough get that nasty taste in my mouth so am assuming I have some cold congestion even without the feeling being in my chest.

I am waiting for an Omaha Steak delivery. Tom and Kelly gave Jack a gift card for Father's Day so I am finally ordering some stuff. I am supposed to get it today. I just hope it doesn't come until Jack is home so I don't have to answer the door. He/she is going to get me in a gown with a sweater and a blanket wrapped around me if I have to sign anything 'cause I ain't dressin.'

Hope you all are doing fine. Susan, hope you aren't having any asthma problems with the chill in the air. Maggie, hope you get your computer mess straightened out now. Jean, sounds like you could use an elevator to do laundry! lol Have a good one all. Hopefully, I will feel more like myself tomorrow. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #3  

Good evening, ladies. We have sunshine and 63 degrees today. It was 47 last night.

I did my strength training and then water aerobics this morning and ran into my friend Pat on the way out so we went to lunch together and did a little shopping. A nice way to spend the day. I'll finish the quilt blocks for the swap on Saturday tonight. Tomorrow is work and First Thursday Bee.

Fay, I hope you feel better quickly. My doctor recommends Dilsun cough medicine. Its a bit pricey but sure works good. I'm getting adjusted to the colder air.

Jean, you know you are always busier after you retire than you were while working. I always on the go it seems and that is fine with me. I'm enjoying life.

I got Maggie's new email address today so maybe her computer problems are solved. I didn't quit understand when she said her internet provider didn't have email because she had said they changed to Verizon and Verizon does offer free email to their customers. I had it. I'll just stick with my yahoo.

Have a good evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #4  

Good morning everybody! I finally feel on the mend. I still have a bit of coughing and congestion to get rid of, but for the most part it is trying it's best to leave me. I am going to try and finish the downstairs today, which has been in a holding pattern since the first day I got sick.

Man, have you seen the articles about the church in Topeka Kansas that interferes with soldiers funerals by protesting at the gravesites and basically causing heatache to those who lost a loved one? It digusts me. I have no problem with churches expressing their views, (and I want to go on record that all Baptist churches do not act in this abhorrent manner) and this one I guess has to do with homosexuality and that the soldiers dying is a result of our sin of allowing homosexuality to be accepted. I am not getting on a soap box about my beliefs one way or another, all I am saying is I find it totally repugnant when you go to a soldiers burial site and you have the kids in your congregation carry signs that say "Thank God for Dead Soldiers." I guess their right to do this has now gone to the supreme court. The daughter of the pastor of this church is a lawyer and leading the charge for their right to protest. My heart goes out to these parents and wives and children, etc of these young men who gave their lives so these morons can do their protesting. Vile that is all I can say about it.

Susan: Glad you are adjusting to the cooler weather. Do you find that abrupt changes in weather cause you problems? I will have to look for that cough syrup. I don't care about the price if the darn stuff works. The mucinex works well, but the medicinal smell comes through your sweat and urine and is awful. I guess you have to suffer to get better!

I am going to have to get on the ball for the boys for Halloween soon. I think I am going to send them each a pail of goodies from the popcorn factory this year. They have some cute stuff. I may have Thomas's sent her and then take his to him, but will definitely just have them ship Jackson's to him. I found an adorable pair of halloween pj's online for Jackson, but durn they were $48!!!!!! Now who would pay that much for pjs for a kid? I know, that noodleheaded woman on Housewives of New Jersey who is now in bankruptcy. She has two of the most self centered brattiest little girls I have ever seen and it is because she and her husband let them get that way. Anyway, I want to find some tshirts, sweatshirts, that kind of thing or pjs for the boys with a halloween theme to them so I will just keep looking. Target usually has some cute stuff.

Well girls, I am going to go and do a bit of work then sit and rest and do a bit more and so on. I find I get really tired fast with this cold when I exert myself so will have to drag it out today.

Have a good one today and the rest of the week. Faye
Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another beautiful morning in my corner of the world; no wind for a nice change. It's supposed to hit 75 today. Bob will go to the farm after checking in at the office. He figures they have at least 2 more weeks o harvest depending on how long the weigh in line is at the elevator. One guy said there were 65 semis lined up yesterday! I have WW this noon and "craft" club this afternoon. I hope it is as social as last time although I did get an email from the gal who is going to show me how to tat with a needle.

"Gma" -- The coughing crud must be going around as I have run into a couple of others who are putting up with it. They said it hangs on way too long! As long as they don't talk they don't cough. I agree about the protesting at soldiers' funerals. There is a big campaign in Iowa to vote out the judges who ok'd same sex marriages. Did you have to greet the delivery man in your 'sick' attire yesterday?

Susan -- What a nice surprise to run into your friend, Pat, and have lunch together. Those are the best kind of visits. I hope you have a good day at work and know you will enjoy your Quilting Bee tonight!

Maggie -- Are you up yet?

I need to get busy. Today is "sort shoes" day! I have some I haven't worn for over a year and it's time to get rid of them! Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-08-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

My computer is back
I didn't have to pay
My techies are not hacks
So I am happy this day
They replaced my pad driver
Without any delay
So now that's my story
And all I will say.

When I first got back my computer I didn't do any typing but loading all my stuff back in. Well when I started to type I was distraught. My curser jumped all over the page so when I typed a word the letters were everywhere on the page. So Will took it back in this morning and they reinstalled the touch pad driver for me. Now it works as it should. Poor Ragg Mopp has ear troubles, they are both infected and we are medicating them and trying to get him back to exact. I think I will get out my tape measure and see how many inches I have lost around my middle since starting this vinegar regiman. My clothes are sure getting bigger. Here is a good recipe for you:
BLACK FOREST CAKE
1 box devil's food cake mix
1 can lite cherry pie filling
1 Tbsp. fat free mayonnaise
Mix all together
Put into 24 cupcakes or a 9x13 pan
Bake at what temp the box says
Serve with a dollop of Cool Whip Free
Each cupcake = 1 POINT
Cake cut into 12 pieces is 2 POINTS each piece

DONNA FAYE I do hope you are feeling much better this day. The CofC doesn't do that kind of stuff that those whacko's are doing either. They are nut cases in my book. Their thinking is skewed. Free speech gone amuck. Anytime any of the "religious" groups comes crawling out of the woodwork it gives us all a blackeye don't ya know. Not good but that is the way of it.

JEAN Did you have a good weigh in? WOW there were a lot of trucks lined up. How much time does it take for each truck to be weighted? Don't you just love this time of they year. One year when we lived in SD and I was at the university I was standing under a tree that lost all of it's leaves all at once. All the folks around me and me also just burst out laughing. It was such a treat. Can you imagine it. All at once golden leaves come cascading down.

SUSAN The enternet service we have does not have an email program. The Verizon mail system is set where you buy a domain and can have up to (I think) six email addresses for a yearly charge. It isn't hooked into the Verizon service we have for it doesn't have a mail system along with it. It is just a computer hook up we can take anywhere and not be plugged into anything but the air. It is weird, I know, and I was surprised when we had to go find an email system to use.

Magnolias ~ I need to go and find something to make for dinner. I am thinking of thawing some of those chili beans I made a while back and make a batch of corn bread from one of Krustaez fat free corn bread mixes. That cornbread is so good and will be a good thing to have with chili beans.

Have a gread day my friends.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-07-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another sunny morning in my corner of the world and record temps in the high 80s are predicted. I need to make a grocery run because the kids will be here tomorrow. It seems like I haven't cooked anything for quite awhile so the fridge and cupboards are looking a little bare.

Maggie -- Thank you for sharing the cake recipe; it sounds delicious! I'm glad your computer is fixed again. I'm not sure how long it takes to weigh the semis; I know everyone weighs full, the grain is measured for moisture, they dump, and then reweigh empty. The ladies who work the scales and in the office fix food for the guys; sometimes it's hot sandwiches and sometimes just baked goodies. Once a week the elevator does a regular meal for them. Bob's farmer friend has talked about buying a semi next year so Bob would have to get his CDL license again. I maintained at WW; was hoping for a tiny loss but maybe will have a bigger one next week.

"Gma" and Susan -- I hope to see you sometime today!

I need to make my grocery list and get going. Have a great day! Remember to !

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-08-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #8  

Good morning girls! I have been up since 4:30 and am feeling pretty good. I still have some lingering stuff, but we are going to go out for dinner tonight just to get me out of the house a bit without having to walk a lot and start up my coughing again. It is going to be near 90 here today. It is in upper
60's at the moment. Nice and sunny out though.

Maggie: Glad your computer issues are fixed. Thanks for the cake recipe. Jack doesn't like cherries so it would be up to me to eat all the cake and don't think I should make it, but will keep it for something to share for holidays or something. Again, thanks.

Susan: Hope all is going well with you this day. Did you say you are back to Bible study for fall? I couldn't remember if you said that you were and if you did what you guys were studying this fall. Nothing better than lunch with a friend followed by shopping!!!!! lol

Jean: Wow, you picked the itty bitty font size! lol How nice for the ladies to fix things for the guys. When we went to the commissary on Sunday they had picked the cotton and had rolled it instead of baled it this year. First time for that I have ever seen. You should see them they look like huge ace bandages all over the fields. lol they do the rolling of the wheat here now instead of baling anymore. I imagine because a lot more goes in the rolls than the bales, but the cotton ones really look funny. I noticed there wasn't the cotton "snow" you usually see on the sides of the roads. I think down here they don't bale in the fields they pick it all and put it in wagons and take it to the gins then bale, so that may be why there isn't cotton along the roadside since they rolled in the field. Wonder how they can gin it if it is rolled already though? Hmmmmmm

I back around to cleaning the upstairs again already so I imagine I might tackle some of it this weekend, who knows? We have nothing on the agenda to do this weekend. Jack is taking the car to the Ford dealership to have our Sync system upgraded next Saturday then we will again have commissary stuff but this coming weekend nothing going on .

Hope you all have a nice weekend with nice weather. Looks like the hurricane/tropical storm season may last a bit longer than usual this year. Hopefully, nothing catastrophic.

Faye
Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Friday Finally

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

In a few we are going for our run across the country for jerkey and sausages. It is such a lovely ride and we take Ragg Mopp along and make an afternoon of it. They make the best jerky around in that little shop in that small town or village it is called. Schwan man came this morning while I was getting dres.sed so I didn't make it to the door in time to place an order. Will was out and about running errands and he usually deals with the ordering from a list we both made. Must have been a relief driver because he usually comes real early at the crack of dawn and I never see him. I am sure I can make it till he comes again in a couple of weeks. I still have stuff in the freezer that needs to be cooked and rotated out that way. Wow, I just looked up and the edges of my fan are dusty. I have have it come on when I turn on the lights and am sitting here without the lights on. Surprising how much dust they gather from the air. BTW I showed a maintain at weigh in this day.

DONNA FAYE That is good that you are on the mend now. I am sure you will enjoy your dinner eating out. Pick one of your favorite places. Maybe they bailed the cotton like that to ship it. There are several different was cotton is bailed depending on where it is going.

JEAN What a nice thing for those ladies to provide sustanence for the truckers. Everything goes more smoothly when food is there.

SUSAN Howdy there friend.

Well it is time to hit the road for an adventure. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-08-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #10  

Morning girls! It is going to be another hot one today later on so I imagine we will just stay inside for the most part. I have laundry to do today and some cleaning so I will keep busy.

Susan: HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRIEND!!!!
Hope you do something real special today!

Maggie: Hope you had fun on your little side trip. I imagine RM enjoyed himself.

We had a nice time last night. Jack wanted to go to Chilis so that's where we went. I had a nice chicken salad, had to unbread the chicken to make it palatable and it wasn't as fattening that way, but for the most part it had a good taste after that. I did cheat a bit as it had bleu cheese crumbles in it, but didn't eat all of them. Besides, I had a really light breakfast and lunch so the added points weren't so bad.

One of my friends from high school that I hooked back up with through facebook has an elderly mom still living. She lived in GA until a month or so ago and a few months back had major heart surgery and it took awhile to get her healthy enough to move back to Indiana to be near her daughter. Well, she is in a rehab style retirement home and they give her a banana everyday. Kris said she was assuming she was eating them until a day ago she opened one of her mom's dresser drawers and fruit flies flew out. She said she was just finishing up making 5 loaves of banana bread to take to the nurses and staff who took care of her mom. Guess she really didn't like bananas!

Nothing much going on with our weekend. Jack is having some real problems with the knee he had surgery on. It was hurting him something fierce last night. Kelly and Tom brought back a medicinal oil from Egypt with sandalwood in it that is supposed to help but it hasn't and nothing else has either. I said he needed to go back to see the ortho doctor, but since it was workman's comp, there is rigamarole you have to go through. I just feel so sorry for him because it really even hurts him to walk and he had to stand on his feet all day yesterday and made it even worse.

Well gals, going to sit and watch some early tv. Hope you all have a Saturday. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 10-09-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am on my way to bed as it will be an early morning for me. I have to be at church and ready to practice by 7:30 which means leaving here about 7:10. The kids have been here and gone -- lots of energy, in and out of the house today! We went to the farm and everyone got a ride in the combine (except me) then brought an ear of corn home for "show and tell" at school next week.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you are feeling better - hope the cough is gone soon too. I had to about your friend and the bananas that her mom had stashed away. I hope a weekend of rest will help Jack's knee. He may have to give up and visit his friendly doc. Beth made a casserole for dinner today: chickenbreasts cut up in bite sized pieces, southwestern seasoning, tortilla chips, 2 kinds of Mexican cheese, chicken broth, and a green salsa. She did it in the microwave and the chips and cheese almost look like stuffing.

Maggie -- That's too bad you missed the Schwanz man. Congrats on the maintain as it's better than a gain any day! Is RM back to 100% again?

Susan -- I hope you had a great day and may you enjoy many more "Happy Birthdays!"

I'm heading for a shower and bed! Have a super Sunday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-09-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #12  

Good morning to everyone!!!! Hope your Sunday is going well. We have no plans for today and will just hang at the house more than likely. It is going to be another really hot one outside so it is best to stay in I think.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my wonderful husband today. He said just yesterday he couldn't believe he was going to be 61 today. He sure doesn't look it. It is one of the reasons I can remember all you gals birthdays is because all three of you are either right before or right after his birthday. It is 10-10-10 and supposedly in that goofy numerology stuff it means some kind of catastrophy going to happen. Always makes me nervous, not because I believe that bologna, but if something does coincidentally happen that everyone starts believing in that nonsense. That is basically how that noodleheaded L Ron Hubbard got going with his Scientology nonsense.

Jean: That casserole sounds yummy. My favorite homemade mexican is green chicken enchiladas. Jack doesn't like them so I never make them, but I really like them. Jack's knee is an issue because it happened on the job so to go back to the doctor he has to go through this whole system thing. He is going to have to do something if it continues to hurt him.

Well, need to get breakfast on the table. Have a good one everybody!!
Faye
Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another beautiful day in my corner of the world. Bob left for the farm before noon so Ernie and I are home alone. The bells were awesome at church today if I do say so myself. I get a little nervous when I have to switch hands to play accidental sharps, and flats, but I got 'em all. I should get busy and do something but feel really lazy after our busy day yesterday.

"Gma" -- to Jack! Does he get birthday cake and ice cream? I hope nothing bad happens today. The paper today said that several weddings were taking place because of the date. Bob said today that I didn't need to make Beth's casserole. I thought it was good and was surprised he didn't think so. He thought there should be some crunch to it with the chips I guess.

Guess I will put in another load of laundry. There is nothing on TV since they took off my favorite game show channel -- makes me !

Have a relaxing "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all! I thought maybe my cold was going to come full circle and start over again yesterday, but I think maybe I was just having a little congestion. I am not feeling bad this morning at all so I hope that is good news. I know a lot of people said theirs hangs on. I want to go and get my flu shot in the next week so I need to be in good shape for that.

Jack and I are planning on Friday to go to the movies and see "Red." It looks like a cute film. So far, any of the "senior" cast type movies we have ever seen have been really good. This one is about a retired black ops guy (Bruce Willis) who has an assassin after him and his old team comes out of retirement to save their lives. It has Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis, John Malcovich, Morgan Freeman, and Richard Dreyfuss. It isn't getting great ratings, but I have never paid attention to ratings anyway. Half the time they don't care about entertainment value they always want you to "learn" something and that is stupid, imo.

Jean: Sounds like the bells went off without a hitch! Jack had birthday pecan pie and ice cream. We just spent a quiet day at home. The grandsons called and talked to their granddad, his sister called but other than that it was quiet. Jack grew up in a house where birthdays weren't very important so he has never been much about birthdays. Besides, we just got back from vacation so we considered that sort of a birthday present. The green chicken enchiladas sounds kind of gross, but basically it is chopped up chicken mixed with cream of chicken soup, green chiles and grated cheese, rolled into corn tortillas, covered in more cream of chicken soup mix and cheese and baked.

I think spaghetti is on the agenda for supper tonight. I have work I want to get done so need something I can put together and clean up quickly and that is just the ticket.

Everyone have a good start to their week. Happy Columbus Day all! Faye
Old 10-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another beautiful day in my corner of the world except there are some clouds moving in. The little black "no-see-ums" are still here and still biting! I went to church this morning and for the first time (out of 3) my figures agreed with the treasurer's final report! I might get the hang of this yet! The custodian had a birthday last week so we went out for lunch to an Asian restaurant I've never been to. I think they fixed one order at a time because they were brought out individually with quite some time in between. There were 7 of us so it took awhile. The food was ok; I don't think it would ever be my first choice to go again.

"Gma" -- I hope you continue to feel better each day! I've not read anything about Red, nor seen a preview on tv. I don't pay attention to movie ratings either. Spaghetti sounds good for supper, but not at 9:00 which is when Bob has been coming home from the farm. I usually eat at the regular time and he fixes himself something quick after he showers.

Susan and Maggie -- Where are you?

Bob is farming so I won't see him until much later unless it would start to rain. I'm thinking I will go have my nails done since they are looking "needy." Enjoy the rest of your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-11-2010 at 04:08 PM.