Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #16  

Good morning to you ladies. Geez, everyone but us seems to have had a nice cool down. It is 80 degrees at this moment and they are expecting it to get up to 96 today a real cool down... We went out around 11 yesterday and it was 96 degrees. We left the store around an hour later and it was 102. It makes for good swimming weather and not much else. I haven't even been over to Kelly's and not even out to check to see if the pool is open across the walk. Part of that is because there is no hand hold on the steps down into the pool and with the extra weight I gained with the hormones and it slowly coming off, I don't think I could get up and out of it without it. It had a step ladder, that I used to use several years ago, but I was about 40 lb less then. So, I just do the best I can work around the house etc until it starts cooling off and I can use the treadmill and stuff more.

Today was my official weigh in and I am down 3.5 lbs. I forgot to ask Jack what he weighed this morning. I stayed up until after midnight last night and got up at 5:30 with him so I am pooped and not too sharp this morning. It got too hot to get upstairs and work after doing the living room carpet yesterday and cleaning the big throw rug we have in front of the couch so I have to get up there this morning and get at least half of it done if I can. The bathrooms really need attention and Jack is kind of a slob when it comes to the bathroom. I told him if we ever got rich and bought a fancy house with separate sinks and such for men and women, he would be on his own to clean it! lol We have power toothbrushes and he gets stuff all over the mirrow from it or splashing water on his hair or his face when he shaves, stuff like that. He isn't the greatest about cleaning up toothpaste stuff either so if I don't keep up on it everyday it can look like a mess sometimes.

Our mini vacation almost fell apart last night. We had planned on doing a few touristy things and if you remember right, I changed the dates from the first ones because they were having some huge motorcycle rally in town. Well, yesterday I was informed that the murder mystery dinner cruise we were going on was canceled because someone booked the paddleboat for a rehearsal dinner that night. Then another thing we had on our itinerary come to find out was for children so that zapped another's day of outings. That left us with nothing to do Friday, Sat or Sun except the pool and beach, and Jack is not big for either. I can usually keep him entertained for about an hour max at the pool and probably a bit longer on the beach but then we would be back in our hotel room the whole time. There are things to do, but many of them I just can't physically do at this time like jet skiing, parasailing stuff like that. So, we kind of had a disagreement about it last night and I almost threw in the towel and said I wasn't going. I wanted to book the weekend of the 17th, but found out the murder mystery cruise for that Friday night is booked solid so no go again. Jack suggested rebooking for Oct and I flatly said we were not going any weekend where there were hundreds of people, the weekend of the 17th was a lobsterfest and sand sculting competition, the first weekend in Oct was the motorcycle rally and the weekend after that is their annual food and wine festival which is huge there I guess. It is sort of like Taste of Chicago if any of you know what that is and that is a zoo that weekend. So, I sat up looking for other stuff to do. I found an Irish Pub about an hour away in Destin that has evening entertainment with Irish singers and such, an air boat trip into the swamp areas to see alligators and such, a sunset dolphin cruise, and a trip to St Andrews beach for their summer market weekend. Brother, what a mess trying to find all this stuff. The one thing I have tons of is restaurants of course. There is always food to be had that's for sure.

Jean: We too have fruit on sale all over the place here. The fresh market had the most incredible fresh peaches. They were ripe and I only bought 4, Jack won't eat them, but I really enjoyed them. I read an article a couple weeks ago telling you how to go about buying fresh fruit and it said to always buy peaches and nectarines ripe as they do not ripen up well if you buy them firm. It is hard to find ripe fruit anywhere in my opinion, but the ones I found were delicious. I think the boxes stuff like strawberries and raspberries and blueberries runs about 2-$5 around here. The strawberries seem especially nice this year. We actually have a farm right by the base that sells all kinds of fruits they raise. They have the most scrumptious huge tomatoes during the season. I wonder if because of all our hot weather if our season will extend some this year.

Maggie: I was curious what you took for potluck this week too. I made lasagna in the microwave and it didn't turn out that great but more than likely because I will have to adjust the times of cooking. I have my own recipe and just needed some basic cooking times and found several recipes but they had cooking numbers all over the place. I think mine would have turned out fine if I had lowered the cooking time and changed up the high and medium cooking. Guess I will just have to keep experimenting as long as it is so hot here.

Susan: Sounds like you are really enjoying the workout the trainer worked up for you. It is nice to have exercise you enjoy and do not dread. Nothing worse than feeling you are forced to do something you would rather not do.

Well gals, I see it is after 8 so time is a wastin' You all have a great day! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #17  

Good Morning, Flowers! It was 56 degrees when I went downstairs this morning. It is warming up as I type but only supposed to get up to 80 today. We never did get the rain over the weekend so guess I will water flowers later. I have to take the recyclable bags out to the curb when I finish here.

Susan -- It's hard to believe it is time for the fall schedules to begin again. I know you will enjoy your Bible study group. I think learning about the Catholic Church would be interesting. I have only been to one Sunday Mass and that's when it was still in Latin, otherwise it has been weddings and funerals. I think our freshly picked corn on the cob season is over. I haven't seen any pickups around to buy from. I wish the season lasted longer up here. The crops are looking good except for where there are flooded fields.

Maggie -- on passing up dessert yesterday! I would appreciate your recipe; everything you cook always sounds delicious! I wish I could afford to hire a cook. Better yet, would be if someone would cook in their own kitchen and bring it to me.

"Gma" -- What are you up to today?

I am dressed and had my coffee -- now I need to get a move on and accomplish something. I should put my "to do" stuff on slips of paper in a box, then draw one each morning.

Hope you all ave a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #18  
Thin Within

Talking Moody Monday

GOOD AFRERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is fixin' to be cooler today here in the Heartland. I am going to be happy about that for sure. Not much planned for this day but cleaning up the kitchen and checking for expired stuff in the cupboards. I do that on occasion so I don't have iffy stuff hiding back there. I am not totally convince that I want to buy that canning setup. We are into freezing and drying stuff and I don't really know if I want to tackle canning also. I'll have to think about it more but right now I don't think I want to do that. Ragg Mopp is at the groomer and Will is out and about running errands and it is quite in this house with the only sound is my typing. Nice. One of the waitresses at Applebees asked me to make her a glass barn as a gift for a relative. She is also a full time college student and has become one that we talk to even if she isn't waiting on us. She always comes over to where we are. There is also a young man that always comes over and loves my bracelet. BTW I showed a pound down this day.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like congratulations are in order for your weight loss. You go girlfriend. What a dalema (sp?) about where and when to take your vacation. I hope you settle on a place and what to do there that is something you will enjoy and can do. I think we will be going to the 4 corners area sometime in October. Anyway that is the plan for now. Still haven't gotten the tags for the Jeep.

JEAN Here is that recipe for you:
GLAZED FRUIT 'N' FRANKS
1 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup ReaLemon juice from concentrate
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 (8-oz) package coctail frankfurters
(or 1/2 # frankfurters cut into 1" pieces)
1 (8-oz) can pineapple chunks drained
1 large red apple, cored and cut into chunks
1 (11-oz) can mandarin orange segments drained

In medium saucepan:
combine preserves
ReaLemon
Cornstarch
Cinnamon
Cook and stir until well blended & slightly thickened
Stir in frankfurters & Pineapple
Heat through & place in crock pot
Just before serving:
stir in apple and orange
Serve warm, Refrugerate leftovers.

I did this in my crockpot and kept it on low while at church then came home and added the apple and orange. Worked for me. Also I used a 20 oz can of pineapple chunks and 2 apples and the pack of coctail frankfurters was 12 oz but it all turned out great. Will did suggest that next time I double the amount of coctail franks. I'll definitely do it again.

SUSAN Have yourself a lovely day.

Time for some lunch and to get to work. type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-16-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #19  

Good afternoon, ladies! Hot and humid.

I went to Silversneakers and spent 50 minutes non-stop exercising. I thought it was fairly easy, I was only moderately short of breath, and about 15 minutes after the class was over I started hearing from muscles that haven't been used enough. There was no way I could do strength training, too, so I came home. I'll do strength training tomorrow. Everything was fine at the doctor this morning. My thyroid medication needed to be increased but that's it. I did ask about what my goal weight should be....are you ready? No more than 140 pounds. Needless to say I was not happy. But I do know it's only 5 more than I thought I should be able to stop. Today was our DAV thrift store pick up so I hauled out my 4 boxes and a bag. I'm getting rid of a lot of things I don't use.

Maggie, congratulations on the weight loss. I know the history of the Church is in the bible. What I don't know is what was happening in the secular world at the time, who the main people were, etc. during the different time periods the bible covers. I also want to know what happened to the Church after Jesus went back to Heaven. I know a lot of secular history, but how does it fit the Christian history? In depth study is what I want. The first Pope was Peter so the Catholic Church was the keeper of Christianity for many centuries.

Jean, 58 degrees - that's cold. It'll be a few months before we get nighttime temperatures like that. We're still getting corn at the farmers market. Because they can plant early here, they usually put in a second crop to come on just as the first one ends.

Faye, Way to go - 3.5 pounds You go, girl! Sorry about your vacation plans getting all screwed up. At least you found some other things to do.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #20  
Thin Within

Talking Back At Ya

HOWDY ONCE AGAIN

SUSAN If you really want to know the truth here is a start.

There is no evidence that Peter was ever in Rome it is only the Catholic churches claim.

The church of Christ did exist long before and after the Catholic church came into existence for the church of the Bible is still in existence. Christ's church didn't end when Christ was nailed to the cross but got it's beginning there. There wasn't any church until Christ was resurrected and ascended back to heaven. The Catholic church was not the keeper of Christianity. Will said if you really want to study some history to learn the truth of it then he has some material for you.

I have had a rest now so am back to those kitchen cupboards.

Type at y'all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #21  

The Catholic church does not claim Peter was in Rome. I really don't appreciate this attack on my religion. I am a converted Catholic and I chose to join because I believe it is the one true church. You are welcome to your beliefs and I'm sure we'll both end up in Heaven if we lead good lives and follow the teachings of the Bible.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote