Old 10-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #18

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining brightly and NO wind today which makes it a great day even though a bit chilly at 29 degrees early this morning. I went to get my nails done and then made a trip to the jewelry store. Many years ago Bob gave me a pair of diamond stud earrings and I lost one. I wasn't sure if I could get just one but they can order one for me. I don't know where nor how I lost it, but one was missing the last time I wanted to wear them. I cleaned out my jewelry drawers just to be sure, the top of my dresser, dresser drawers, and combed through the bedroom carpet. I have vacuumed the bedroom carpet several times so the earring could be long gone and I didn't see it when I emptied the dust container. After lunch I braved WM and our new Dollar Tree store. They carry several name brand food items but in smaller sizes which I like. I suppose realistically they cost more but I hate a spoonful of leftovers but feel guilty throwing it out.

"Gma," hope your commissary trip went ok. Is there a big difference of shopping on a week day vs the weekend? Hope your Cubs win again! My traveling friend just had her first cataract removed and said how much brighter colors are for her.

I need to finish putting away my WM treasures before Bob gets home. He promised to cook supper tonight! Hope you enjoy a nice evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #2  

Good morning! We are expecting thunderstorms this morning but not cold here. We are in the 60's right now but it's climbing.

I need to go out and unlock the gate as I have some clothes coming. I fell in love with a clothing brand Evine carries (evine is like QVC) and have bought a bunch of their tops. The knit ones are lightweight and stretchy and really comfortable. I ordered 2 turtlenecks in orange and cream to go with a duster style sweater I bought from them that is cream, brown and beige striped. I bought the last two knit style tops they had that I liked so I am set for fall and winter as I wear jeans all the time pretty much. I ordered a pair of flat heel ankle boots from QVC that should be here Monday. I hope they fit and are comfortable. I wanted them to go with the duster sweater outfit. I've never worn fashion boots because of my knee, but these looked like they might just work.

I was going to go out to get my nails done today but will put it off until Sunday with the rain moving in. Since it isn't a necessity it can wait.

Jean: I have had several people tell me that about colors. I am using my glasses less and less but because my left eye's vision is so poor some things are more difficult. No, I don't think there is any difference in fact, yesterday they were quite busy. We always go on the weekends as Jack would normally be working on the weekdays and I can't do two weeks shopping on my own anymore with my crummy knee. They are open until 6 pm but by the time Jack gets home from work, showers and we drive out there, it doesn't leave time to shop so we always go on the weekends. When he permanently retires I imagine we will shop during the week. Brr you have some cold temps. Hope your earring comes out great!

Everyone have a great weekend!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the usual wind is blowing, and it's a pleasant 63 degrees this afternoon. I got a haircut this morning, and for once I think she did what I asked. I'll know tomorrow morning when I wash it! Bob is farming again so won't see him until later. His farmer friend sent him home early yesterday so we could go out for supper to celebrate (?) my birthday. I need to pick up the cluttered counter and vacuum fur bunnies. I have a grocery list but not sure if I want to do that today or not.

"Gma," I've not heard of the brand Evine; i hope everything you ordered arrives when it is supposed to and in good shape. I received an email saying the jacket I returned had been received and the credit applied to my account. In the fine print on the invoice it said it would take 6-7 weeks. I broke down and bought a new winter coat that I tried on a couple weeks ago. The brand is Columbia and it is lined in what looks like tinfoil. The sales lady said she has one and it is very warm. It's so lightweight it's doesn't feel like it would be very warm. I'll find out tomorrow at Zowie's soccer game. Do you have any plans for a new knee? I know it is not funny but it makes me chuckle when you call it your crummy knee.

I need to get busy and vacuum. It has been sitting in the living room for a couple three days, but I didn't want to vacuum before the guys put in the new register. Hope you all enjoy a nice rest of the day!
Old 10-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #4  

Good afternoon ladies. It has warmed up and is sunny today. We got a heck of a rain storm yesterday morning, but it moved on through. The leaves are falling now so I guess in a month we will be calling our lawn guy to come out and clean up the deck area. He's not cheap but he does a good job and with Jack's hand in a cast he can't do it.

Tonight is the first game for the national league championship. It would be nice if we could take the Dodgers in four straight. Who knows?

I ordered a couple more neck pillows from Sleep Number. I have one, but I am going to put one in the car and keep one upstairs as I only use the one I have as a pillow. This way I won't have to drag it up and down stairs everyday and I will have one for traveling without forgetting it. I forgot it when we went to Nashville and had a horrible time sleeping. I can no longer use a regular pillow.

Jean: My stuff came and it all fit. I washed it yesterday and hung it all to dry so it will be ready to wear. I should get my boots next week. I hope they fit and work for me ok. Evine is a website not a brand. It is like QVC or HSN. No surprise that I came across it trolling for handbags a couple years ago. As for the crummy knee lol, I have to be at a certain weight for them to fix it so it is going to have to wait. I just deal with it. I hope you had a nice birthday dinner and your coat kept you warm. I don't own a winter coat. First off, I get too hot and secondly, for the most part it doesn't get terribly cold here even in January and by March it is spring weather so I have a lined jacket that keeps me warm enough.

Everyone have a good Saturday!

Last edited by gma22; 10-15-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #5  

Good Evening! It is warm enough to have the sliding door open tonight! It was supposed to be sunny and 71 degrees for the soccer game this afternoon. It was 68, windy, and cloudy, with a half dozen raindrops towards the end. The crazy weather continues! The sun did come out as we left to come home. Zowie's team won so she was happy. One more game next week, and this soccer season will be history.

"Gma, " Amanda fixed sloppy Joes for lunch today. Amanda's mom brought a plate of sliced Granny Smith apples with caramel, white chocolate, and dark chocolate drizzled over them, topped with chopped Heath pieces and chopped peanuts. To keep the apples from turning dark she put them in salt water which I had never heard of. They were a treat!

I am heading to bed. Bob is singing at church tomorrow and then we will make a quick trip to see my stepmom, hopefully before she goes to lunch. Hope you all enjoy a nice Sunday!
Old 10-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #6  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it's a nice day. Another busy week in my neighborhood so far. Yesterday I counted at church, got my flu shot at the hospital when I picked up the gift shop money, and went to a luncheon meeting for P.E.O. I just got home, changed clothes and started working on the gift shop "bundle" from last week's big sale when the doorbell rang. Standing there was a MN relative! She had been to visit my stepmom and was on her way home again. By the time she left, I inhaled a cheese and crackers "supper" then headed to card club. I was tired when I got home! This morning I finished the gift shop deposit, dropped that off at the bank, stopped by the library to pick out new books, dropped a check off at the hospital, and here I am. Bob is at the farm this morning and we will head to Ian's game later this afternoon.

Hope all is well with all of you!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! It's been a beautiful fall day in my corner of the world, sunny all day for a nice change. I went for coffee this morning and craft club this afternoon. The craft club hostess had a cold house and she mentioned not turning the furnace on yet. Bob is farming so not sure when I will see him. I'm thinking an egg of some sort for supper when he gets home -- quick and easy!

Hope all is well with everyone, too quiet here!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. Sorry for my absence. Between dr appts, shopping, the stupid sewer line is clogged again making for a real mess and trying to catch up on cleaning now that my eye is healed, I just haven't even been thinking about getting in here.

Yep, the sewer line is clogged again. We lived here for years with no problem and the last two we have had to have someone pump it out about every 6 months. What are they sticking down the toilets for heaven's sake? We have more than our share of trashy people. One condo on our side is disgusting. The whole back picture window is blown out and covered in plastic, there is trash everywhere and the garage is loaded with garbage and trash and such. I don't know who lives there now, but hope it isn't drug dealers or meth people!

I decided to order an electric blanket for our bed before it gets terribly cold. We are still not back in a bed until Jack gets his cast off next week, but it would nice to have it before cold weather sets in. Our other one went belly up a couple years ago. They aren't cheap for sure. This one was almost $400! Luckily, I got a bunch of discounts at JC Penney and saved half of that. Still it is overly expensive IMO even if we do get dual controls.

It is cold here this morning, in the 40's. It is only going to get up to the upper 60's but then we will warm up again. We decided to wait to go to the commissary until tomorrow since I wanted to get more cleaning done and we didn't get into bed until after midnight as we watched the Cubs beat the Dodgers last night. No game tonight at they are heading back to Chicago so we can get up and get going in the morning.

Monday is my other eye surgery and it is at 6:30! I will have to get up at 3 to get moving and stuff. UGH!

Jean: Sorry you have had to carry the thread. I promise to try better!

Everyone have a great weekend.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it's another nice day in my neighborhood. I ran a couple errands this morning and braved WM to pick up orphan food. All of a sudden we seem to have more orphans in the neighborhood. Bob is farming again; I will be glad when the harvest is finished and life gets back to normal, whatever that might be.

"Gma," I was about ready to send you a message and see if you were ok. I thought your second surgery was this week. What a pain about your sewer line being plugged! Do you have to pay for that repair, or does the city/association? Either way I feel for you! Do you have a king sized bed? I was shocked at how expensive the electric blanket was! It's a good thing you had discount coupons!

I have stuff to put away and then I need to address a couple church cards before the mailman gets here. Hope you enjoy a nice day!
Old 10-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #10  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, NO wind blowing, and it's a beautiful day in my neighborhood. The guy next door hired someone to come and mow, blow, rake his leaves. His one tree is bare; our three huge maple trees are late to drop their leaves so we will share with him when the wind blows. All of our neighbors still have trees with leaves. Bob left early for the farm, but he thinks they may quit early since grandkids are here to visit the farm family. I need to make a casserole of some sort as I'm tired of "hit and miss" sandwich/junk meals. That means I probably need to make a grocery list and head to the store. I have laundry in the washer and a couple more loads waiting. There is always something to do around here, not that it always gets done in a timely manner.

Hope you enjoy a happy Saturday!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #11  

"Gma," hope all goes well today!
Old 10-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #12  

Good afternoon everyone. The other eye is now done, but it is a lot more uncomfortable that the first one. I don't know why except they injected my eyeball with numbing meds that they didn't with the first eye so guess that is why it is so sore. I have to go for a recheck so we shall see what he says tomorrow. Other than that and they had trouble getting an IV in like always everything went ok.

We went to the commissary on Saturday and it was pretty busy and had stuff stacked in the aisles for Halloween blocking the aisles. It irks me when they do that because if you want something in the same aisle but it is across the aisle you have to go to the end and come back up because there is no place to cross. I got the electric cart stuck on the frozen food row as I couldn't get it turned around because of all the stuff in the aisle. Took me about 6 tries to get it and people had to wait on me. I felt terrible but there was nothing I could do about it.

Jack is all anxious to get his cast off on Thursday. A piece of the inner sock has worn away and the fiberglass is scratching his thumb and he can't do anything about it. He is pretty fed up with it, but I try to tell him to hang in there that at least he is no longer in pain.

Jean: The post office did it again. They didn't deliver a box to me on Saturday and then posted on the website that the business was closed. If they don't deliver today they are getting a nasty phone call. I contacted Amazon and said I was a Prime member and did not want anything delivered by them through the post office from now on or I was cancelling my prime and going elsewhere to purchase things. She said she flagged my account that nothing was to be sent USPS. No, because it isn't in or under our condo, but out past the sidewalk, the management company is responsible. They had two different plumbers here, one who couldn't get it unclogged and the second guy who put a camera down there and guess what? We have tree roots in the thing so it is going to cost them a bundle to repair if they do repair it, otherwise this is going to happen every 3 months or so the guy said. There are so many people behind in their fees, I don't know what they are going to do about digging it up and replacing stuff at $$$$ of dollars. We shall see. I know one thing, the management guy was super nice to Jack and called someone right away and got the second guy out there too. We did go to a hotel because we were afraid they wouldn't get it done and it was awful. There was a room full of little brats next door and they were yelling and running the halls and slamming doors and still up at 3 AM. It is hard for me to get up and moving at night so I gave up trying to complain and just sucked it up, but I got very little sleep on Friday night. Our Sleep Number is a queen size. They didn't have the king ones on sale at the time and they were about $4000 more so we went with the queen. One of the reasons it was more expensive is I get dual controls. He is always freezing in winter and tries to cook me like a Christmas goose so I get dual controls.

Everyone have a good afternoon.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:55 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it's been another nice fall day in my corner of the world. We had lots of different "pots" to put church money in this morning. It took me almost two hours longer because of that and the *^%~< computer hiccuped then closed the program so I had to start over again. One of the gift shop days didn't balance between the cash and itemized merchandise so I had to go back and recheck again. I finally made it to the bank after lunch. I thought I slept good last night but I have been yawning all afternoon. Bob is at the farm again after checking in at the office first. He had to have his picture taken for the business newspaper. For his 35th anniversary he received a HUGE lead crystal bowl. It is very heavy and could easily double for a punch bowl. We have rain predicted for tomorrow and I hope it doesn't happen. Ian's last game is tomorrow night and rain will slow/stop the harvest process again.

"Gma," glad your eye surgery is over and hopefully you are on the mend, feeling better. I feel about UPS like you do the post office. I don't think anyone takes responsibility for doing their job correctly and with some pride. I imagine Jack is getting very impatient waiting for his life to get back to normal. Having no pain is good! I sure hope your sewer line will stay open for you. What a pain to have to go to a hotel and then not get a good nights rest. We are the opposite with the bed covers, I am cold and Bob kicks the blanket(s) off.

Not much newsy from here today. I need to fold towels in the dryer and put my gift shop books away. Hope you enjoy a nice evening!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. Cool this morning but we are going to get into the 80's again today. It is beautiful and sunny.

Jack is watching MLB network today since the World Series begins. I think I am still stunned we have finally gotten to the WS. I am looking forward to the games and have a lot of confidence we can win it all. I think the overall team is better but you never know in baseball.

I have an eye appointment at 11:15 and though my eye was sore yesterday, it is not cloudy or fuzzy today and I am amazed what I can see. I told Jack you don't realize how poorly you were seeing until you see this well. It flabbergasts me. I treated myself to an expensive pair of sunglasses since I won't ever have to wear glasses or contacts again!

They did deliver my postal stuff yesterday. I didn't call and complain because by the time we got finished yesterday and then went to breakfast and such they had delivered it. It does no good anyhow. You just get excuses.

Jean: I bet the bowl is beautiful, but since you don't live in a mansion, what do you do with the thing? We were so exhausted from a couple nights bad sleep we went to bed around 7 PM. Jack woke up and stayed up for a bit around 11 then I woke up and stayed up from 1-4 and went back to sleep until 7 AM then got up and started the day. Sometimes it is just weird that way, but I will be glad when his rehab is over and he goes back to work so we can get back to a routine. It is a mess right now and I never get anything done. When he retires we are going to have to set getting up and going to bed times and stick with it.

Everyone have a good Tuesday.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #15  

Good Morning! It is a cloudy gloomy morning in my neighborhood, with a few rain sprinkles now and then. Rain is still in tonights forecast but I have my fingers crossed that it holds off until after the game. I made a quick trip to the post office, bank, and grocery store earlier. I should vacuum fur bunnies next.

"Gma," Bob's bowl even came with a wooden stand that is engraved with his name, etc. The only place I have to put it is on the bottom shelf of my curio cabinet. All the other shelves are glass and I wouldn't take a chance on them. At least I don't have to polish it. We have a friend who retired as an officer of a local bank. They gave her a cruise to Alaska! That I could get excited about! I try not to go to bed early because I will wake up during the night and not be able to go back to sleep. Sometimes I do that anyhow. I remember my mom talking about not sleeping all night and I never thought that would happen to me. I have turned into my mother . . . . which isn't all bad I guess. She was a nice lady. I wake up pretty close to the same time every morning, take my shower, feed the fur orphans then our fur children, make coffee, and tell Bob to roll out if he hasn't all ready. Talk about being creatures of habit, that's us!

I need to get busy so guess I will chase the bunnies. Hope you enjoy the rest of the day!