Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #15

Good morning gals. We got a big thunderstorm move through quickly this morning. It is wet but has already stopped raining.

Jack changed his tire last night after dinner so his car is back to normal and I have mine back. I was going to go pick up his contacts but I need to finish some work here at home and am making a pot roast for dinner so we will get them tomorrow. Jack has to come home early for his ortho appt so we can just go after that or I can pick them up tomorrow morning.

Susan: I sure hope this research study does help you and gives you more breathing ability. I am a tuna sandwich fan so it sounded yummy. I am a bit picky about my tuna salad though. We have a deli here that puts a lot of lemon juice in their tuna salad and it just puts off the whole flavor.

I am having trouble with my feet and lower legs swelling again so I just might have to talk to the doctor about my medication. I worry about the damage the swelling could cause. I try and walk around a lot more, drink a lot of water, etc, but nothing helps so my only reasoning is it is my one bp med which is notorious for this. I know I am tired of always being at the doctor that's for sure!

I think I need to start picking out my clothing for next week so I can be sure and pack all my Cubs stuff. I have earrings and a shirt to wear that has a baby picture of Jackson on it I had made for the last Houston fiasco so I am going to wear it with jeans. I have nail transfers I never got to wear but I may wait and wear those in Houston in October, I haven't decided. I have to find the darn things first. Since we are leaving now on Friday instead of Saturday I have to make sure everything is done before then and both of us want to get haircuts, the oil needs to be changed in the Mariner, etc.

Saturday is Thomas's Blue and Gold banquet signaling the end of his Cub Scout year. Gosh he goes into Webelos in the fall. I asked him if he thought he would go on to Boy Scouts and he said yes. My brother's son made Eagle scout when he was 14 so I wonder whether Thomas will want to put that much effort into it.

I better go gals and get chores done. Jack cooked breakfast this morning and left the dirty dishes since the dw hadn't been unloaded so I have that to look forward to. Have a great Thursday today and hopefully there is good weather where you are. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and I have a "to do" list for this morning. We are leaving for Sioux Falls this afternoon; the daycare that Ian and Zowie attend is in a church and they are having an Easter program this evening. The ride home will be long but at least it will still be light when we get there. There has been flooding across a highway that we take so I'm hoping that is open again. The scary thing is that several homes along another highway have had drive-by shootings between midnight and 6 AM for the last couple of weeks. We will have been and back before then but it's still scary.

"Gma" -- I used a Clorox stain remover on the sheets and all of the blood stains came out. A pot roast dinner sounds delicious! I know what you are going through trying to get your bp meds adjusted. I tried one that took too much potassium out of my system. I'll bet Thomas does go on to earn his Eagle Scout award; he just seems like that kind of kid. Have fun getting ready for your trip; it's always nice to get away.

Susan -- You had a long appointment for 5 hours! I hope you get some good results. Thanks for the hydrogen peroxide hint. That is probably cheaper than Clorox. I will have to look for the Hunts pasta sauce. I usually use Prego if I don't make my own which I rarely do any more.

My "to do" list is waiting and I need to get a move on. Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #3  

Good morning ladies! It is cool this morning but I am hoping it warms up later. We had a hard rain with hail around the time Jack was coming home yesterday but he didn't see any of it on his drive home so it must have just been our area right here by the house.

He has his last ortho appt today and I am hoping he puts him on more therapy because his knee is still really causing him trouble. I guess we will limit walking as much as we can in Atlanta and not do stuff that would strain his knee. The parking lot is several blocks from the ballpark though so that he is going to have to walk. It isn't like he can't walk, he is back to full duty, it is just that I would imagine the more walking the less it can heal properly. It may just take a long time.

Jean: The pot roast did turn out pretty good. At least Jack scarfed it up. I passed on potatoes and ate a lot of carrots and a bit of meat. Guess I just wasn't very hungry, which is unusual for me! lol Glad the blood came out of the sheets. How was the Easter program? I bet the kids looked so cute.

I am going to the laundromat this morning and dry some clothes. We have decided what dryer we want but are going to wait until we get back from out trip. We have to measure the door to make sure the one we want will fit into the house then measure the doorway into the laundry room to make sure it will fit in there. Such a pain. I just think about my mom hanging clothes out to dry when I was a kid. I used to hang Kelly and Jay's baby clothing out on a clothes line because it made them smell so nice. They both wore cloth diapers and we sure couldn't afford a diaper service.

I guess I better get a move on and get a shower, get dressed and get chores done since I will have two loads of clothes to wash and take over there. Have a great weekend all! Faye
Old 03-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies. According to the weather man it is now raining and we won't get over 60 degrees. When I look outside the sun is shining and it's already 61 degrees. I'm going to walk before lunch and then again before dinner if it stays nice.

Haven't any plans for this weekend except to get my house ready to be painted inside and get some more things ready for retreat. I will have to go to the grocery store sometime because I'm out of eggs and milk.

Faye, I don't suppose Jack would consider to use a cane for your trip so keep some of the stress of walking off his knee. I have always hung sheets out to dry in the summer and blankets and quilts and odds and ends. When I had the shed fixed, they had to take down my retractable clothes line and I didn't have it put back up. I'm really torn. I really like hanging them out, but I shouldn't be hauling the clothes basket up and down stairs. I hate to put quilts in the dryer. I haven't made pot roast in a long time, sounds like a good thing to make Sunday.

Jean, I'm glad you got the blood out. How was the Easter program? Little kids are so cute when they do them. It sounds scary to have drive by shootings going on.

Well, I need to make some phone calls and get some laundry going. Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly with wind and 36 degrees it is cold outside. I am tired this morning! We didn't get home until 11 last night; we drank 'real' coffee after the program so we could stay awake for the 2 1/2 hour drive home. The program was just for the "after school" kids so it was short and sweet . . . about a half hour. Ian had a speaking part and knew it by heart. He is a 'performer' at heart -- smiles and sways to the music. Amanda didn't realize Zowie wasn't part of the program so she had a nice new dress and shoes to wear. Amanda's parents also came and we all went out to eat at Perkins afterwards.

"Gma" -- Would Jack consider wearing a knee brace when he has to walk any distance? I've never worn one but know that the kids at school wore them for a few days to take pressure off the knee. I hope he gets some more pt time. I would have to eat the potatoes as they are my most favorite part of the meal. I'm not a big meat eater and I know I don't get enough protein at times. I think Zowie was a little put out she wasn't in the Easter program. She goes to preschool, but I guess since she is in daycare she didn't qualify.

Susan -- I'm not sure how our painting project will turn out, or who will be painting. What color(s) are you planning to use? Our main living area is an ivory color and Bob wants to do something different, but definitely not white which is what we had before. As we drove through the 'shooting' area I thought the houses were set back pretty far from the road to be hit by bullets. I have no clue how far guns shoot but wouldn't think the shooters would be dumb enough to pull into the lanes and leave tire tracks.

I have lots I can do today but first on my list is to vacuum fur and dust bunnies. Ernie had a wild streak this morning -- he tears up the stairs, over the bed, down the stairs and behind the couch, to the patio door, and then does the same route several more times. As I've said before he is a weird cat!

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 03-26-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a windy sunshiney day here in the heartland. The wind sure likes to blow here in the praire. Not much to stop it. I thought I posted yesterday ~ I remember typing it ~ OH well I never have much news anyway. I was pasting some neat sounding recipes that I want to try into my books and made a grave decision. I haven't been doing as much cooking as I used to and we have been eating out a lot. I have tried to make good choices out there but it isn't always that easy to do for me these days. So I announced to Will that (he loves eating out also) we are going to limit our eating out and there is a new appliance I want to order (said all in one breath). He cracked up for he knew something was coming. Ah, but come pay day our budget is going to allow me to order a vertical ritisserie. I used to have one before we started living in that motorhome a few years back and I did use it a lot. So I want one again for I do miss using it. I can cook all sorts of veggies and meats in it. He acturally wants me to have one again for he did say he missed those rotisserie meals I used to make. I have so many good recipes to cook in it. I'll get the Cuisinart Vertical Rotisserie. They have probably improved it since I had my last one. We will see how it works to only eat out for the noon meal on Sundays. We might even save some money also just eating out once a week. We'll see if we can limit ourselves. Will just came in and told me what he ordered from the Schwans man earler this morning and it is now in the freezer. I hadn't put in an order and it is always interesting when Will puts one in. Interesting. Summertime we do a lot of grilling outside so he got some things that will do well to grill. We are going over to Lucas to get our lean fresh ground burger meat, sausages and jerkey on tuesday. We are both scheduled at the hair dresser to get cuts on Monday. He told me to bring along my new 410 shotgun he bought me and I can do some practice with it on the way. It is called a "snake charmer" for snakes and small game and I will need it when we vacation in the 4 corners of this country. There are sneeky snakes out there and I hate rattelers and they do live in the dessert. My grandpa used to have a small coffee can full of the rattels. He had a ranch in Texas. He is the one that first taught me to shoot. He called me a dead eye because I got so good at it. My two older sisters didn't want to learn to shoot and my brothers were too young so I got to do a lot with him as a kid. Such a wonderful man he was. Long tall Texan ~ stood straight as can be and was way over six feet tall. It was fun to ride in the pick up with him to the feed store. The folks loved to see us coming ~ the long tall Texan and the little blond girl. Same way with my father ~ he taught me so much for I hung out with him in the garage a lot. I helped him change out an engine when I was just a kid. Like I said ~ I learned so much just hanging out. Life is good. My background helped me as a Peace Officer for I always qualified well at the range every 6 months as we were required to do. I am a bit rusty now but still a good shot.

DONNA FAYE I do hope Jack can do the walking when you are "vacationing" ~ can he use a cane or why not a wheel chair for long distances that you have to go. At least he would have a place to sit and rest it. I use a cane on occasion because my knee still gives me fits now and then. I have a neat one that is a crooked root that I bought in Tennessee.

JEAN That is good you were able to get your sheets clean. How is Bob doing? That must have given him a fright for sure. I hate to have a bloody nose and can't remember when I last had one either.

SUSAN So your having your house painted. Are you going to be home when that is done? What color are you doing it? Ummm pot roast. Love to smell them cooking and I love to do a roast in a rotisserie. Take it nice and easy lady and don't overdo.

I have got to get a move on it and get something planned for dinner. I have lots of choices in the freezer and I think I will thaw a couple of boneless skinless chicken breast fillets and bake them. I will spray them then roll them in Panko crumbs and they will be nice and crunchy on the outside. I love using those Panko crumbs. Do any of you use them also? I'll serve them with rice and some green beans and it will be called dinner.

Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-26-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #7  

Maggie -- We are having the same windy day you are, and our sun has disappeared. I think childhood memories are the best and it's special when children can spend time with grandparents. Your new appliance sounds interesting. I've never used one. I've also never heard of Panko crumbs. What are they?

I spent most of the afternoon putzing downtown. I had our wedding cake knife engraved with Beth and Will's names and dates so could pick that up this afternoon. We know the store owners so always "visit" whenever we go in there for anything. I received a 15% off coupon for tennis shoes and the shoe store just happened to be in the same block so, of course, I stopped in there and found a pair of NB shoes that fit perfectly. The Hallmark store is in the same block and I had a list of retirement, April, and May birthday cards to pick up so spent a lot of time in there. The store used to be our Penneys store so it is quite large; they carry a lot of bridal registry items, children's educational toys, baby clothes, etc., that most Hallmark stores don't have.

Bob went in for his lab work this morning and then a "chat" with his doctor. There was a student doctor there and Bob was asked if he minded that she do the appointment, then the regular doctor left the room. She went over the lab results and then mentioned his shoulder. The MRI shows a torn tendon and rotator cuff. The regular doctor came back in and reviewed what the student doc had said, then winked at Bob and said he would let the orthopedic doc explain the MRI results not knowing that Bob already knew. He just told Bob not to plan on playing any golf this summer and to lose the 5#s he hadn't lost since he was there 2 months ago. He also said not to worry about the nosebleed unless it would happen again and then he wanted to know.

I need to accomplish something before Bob gets home! Maybe clearing off the kitchen would be a good start! Enjoy your evening.

Last edited by Jean; 03-26-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #8  

Good morning to everybody. Jean and Maggie have blown their windy day towards us so we are expecting a lot of wind today and not just from politicians....

Jean: Panko are Japanese bread crumbs, very fine and are really love to use. You have probably had them as a coating on something in a restaurant at some time because they do such a great job but aren't heavy. Oh my gosh, poor Bob. Did they put him in a sling or anything to keep his shoulder from moving? He has to be in pain, poor man. Five lbs? Sheesh, don't we all wish we only needed to lose 5 lbs. Jack is wearing an elastic brace thingy on his knee. I told him he needs to use the crutches again to take some of the weight off. When he went yesterday they are scheduling him for an MRI now so maybe we will get to the bottom of what is wrong because it is getting worse.

Maggie: I have a horizontol rotisserie (one of Ron Popeil's miracles) that I really like but clean up is such a mess that I do rotisserie chicken in a dutch oven in the oven. I have a recipe for the spices and it turns out exactly like the store bought ones. In fact, we haven't had chicken or cornish hens that way in a long time. I might have to do them again. I strip the skin off and they still come out really yummy. I put ff chicken broth in the bottom of my pan to keep everything moist.

Susan: Today is Blue and Gold banquet for T so we will have supper there tonight. They ordered bbq from the place next door to us so we told Kelly we would help her bring it. She has to come over here because she has to pay for it with a Pack check but I told her we could transport for her. They make great food and the price is right. They gave her a huge discount I guess. The man that owns the place is a devout Christian and very fair guy. He even closes his store on Sunday, which is pretty much unheard of except for Chik-fil-a in this town. Our pot roast was good and I usually take what is left and use ff beef broth make a gravy and make stew so we get two meals out of it. I usually add some more veggies but that's about it.

We watched the cutest movie last night. I am on a buy a dvd each payday kick and I bought this one two weeks ago planning on watching it in the hotel room or on the trip or whatever but Jack wanted to have an at home date night so I made mexican food and we had a movie night. It is called "Did you Hear about the Morgans?" and it was so cute and very funny in parts. It starred Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker. If you get a chance, rent it or watch it. The scene with Hugh Grant and the bear is pretty funny.

Well gals, I need to unload the dishwasher, put away the other basket of clothes and get us some breakfast. Have a marvelous Saturday! Faye
Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is cloudy and gloomy outside this morning. The lake is really dark so I expect the ice might go this weekend. Three ice fishermen fell through one day last week; they were fishing by the inlet which has been open for several weeks. Dumb! Lucky for them someone saw it happen and called 911. Bob's doctor told him to go buy the South Beach Diet book and get busy losing the first 5#s. One of the teachers used that diet and did very well with it; I'm not big on meat so it will be interesting to see the book. I'm debating about going to WM on a Saturday when every other Tom, Dick, Harry, Juan, and Maria are out and about.

"Gma" -- Bob didn't like the MRI experience at all! They had to pull him back out to get his heart rate to go down, put a wet cloth over his eyes, and earphones with music playing on him. He still didn't like it and it took 45 minutes to get done. Our machine is brand new and supposed to be 'state of the art' but it is enclosed rather than open. I hope Jack has a better experience, and they find something that they can fix for him. Bob has no pain, unless he moves his arm up too fast, and is taking nothing for pain right now. The local surgeon buys his BCBS from Bob and was in the office yesterday afternoon. He always shakes hands and Bob said he would pass this time. The doc asked what happened and when Bob explained it to him, the doc said it could be fixed and Bob would be fine. I have heard that that movie was a good one -- not sure if it has been here yet or not. Enjoy your banquet with Thomas tonight!

I need to get laundry going and put the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher. Have a super Saturday and remember to have a on your face!

Jean -- and from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 03-27-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday Already

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a windy rainey day here in the Heartland. We are getting horizontal rain and have been all through the night. Roofers have the day off but next week the sun is supposed to shine. Not much going on in this section of the world this day. Spring cleaning ~ I am rearranging my things in the kitchen to make a home for my new appliance. I don't want to hide it away in a cupboard but have it out so I will use it. There are very few plug in's in this kitchen and until we get more put in I have to jocky things around. I have a place to set it and can move it easily to sit somewhere else like on the kitchen table or stove to use. I'll get it organized. Will just came in and said he would get me another microwaive cart because it could sit beside the freezer and then I would have a nice cupboard also and be able to move it easily if I choose. That way I can use the rotisserie right were it lives. He is such a nice guy. It will give me storage for the food dehydrator also.

DONNA FAYE Wind ~ yep we do like to share. The rotisserie is a vertical by Cuisinart that has a relatively small foot print which is 16" wide; 15 1/2" deep; 17 1/2" high. Clean up is a breeze for it has a non-stick interior and the accessories are dishwasher safe. Those features assure me that I will be using it a lot. The ingterior will roast up to an 8 lb chicken. And I would love to have your spice rub recipe, please O please. I too like to take the skin off for that is where the most points lurke. That movie sounds like a good one to rent. I like Hugh Grand and SJ Parker.

JEAN It is good someone did place a call to 911. What were those fisher people thinking. Or not thinking may be the case. Let us know how that South Beach diet works for Bob. I hear it is good for a quick fix but not to make a lifestyle change with. Donna is right about Panko. Try it and you will surely like it. It makes such a lite and crispy crust. I like crispy. Poor Bob. Some folks get really clostorphobic with those closed MRI machines. Good thing when Will had one it was the open kind or I imagine he would not have had it done at all.

SUSAN Hope all is well with you this day.

I need to get a move on and get something done. I have some glass work I can do. Have a great weekend which is already upon us I'll type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-27-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #11  

Good afternoon, ladies. A nice sunny day but only in the 40s. It's windy here, too.

I went to WW this morning and was down another .6 for a total of 17 pounds and reached my 10% and got my key chain. I'm filling in the last page of my 3 month tracker today so will start a new one tomorrow.

Jean, men are crazy when it comes to fishermen. We had 2 watermen that drowned about 6 weeks ago and they just found one of the bodies yesterday. I love the panko bread crumbs. They are very light but big crumbs and make a nice crunchy coating. Poor Jack. I've had 2 close friends who had to have rotar cuff repairs recently. He won't be doing a lot of manual work at the cabin this year. The South Beach Diet is rough the first 2 weeks because that is only protein, veggies and dairy. After that you slowly add back whole grains and starches. It's pretty much WW Simply Filling Technique. It is very doable for life. I have all the books and cookbooks and love the recipes. It is not a low carb plan.

Maggie, I know you'll love your rotisserie and use it often.

Faye, I hope the MRI shows what is wrong with Jack's knee and they can get it fixed. There is so much they can do for knees these days. I'd like your spice rub recipe, too.

Have a good day!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 03-27-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Back Again On Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

WOW the wind is whisteling about the corners of this house something fierce.

Howdy, since we are all interested in spice rubs and have asked for Donna’s version here are 3 that I have mixed and use which I like.

BEST BBQ RUB IN TEXAS
Rub into beef at least 2 hours before cooking.
Great for brisket.
1 (16 oz) bottle seasoning salt
¼ cup paprika
cup chili powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon dry mesquite flavored
Seasoning mix
2 Tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 cup packed brown sugar

Mix all in a large bowl.

SPICE RUB
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon coriander
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
YIELD: about 1 cup

DRY JERK SPICE RUB
Traditional in Jamaican kitchens.
Jerk seasoning packs a hot punch
that is mellowed by the sweetness
of sugar and perfume of spices such
as cinnamon and allspice. To tame
the heat, cut back on the ground red
pepper. You can use this rub with
pork, chicken, or fish.

1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
2 to 3 teaspoons ground red pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground thyme
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground star anise
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a bowl,
stirring well. Store in an airtight
Container up to 4 weeks.
YIELD: about ½ cup

Hope y'all give these nice recipes a try this summer.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-27-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #13  

Maggie: Here you go and this works great!

Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style
(makes up to 2 whole 4 lb chickens)

4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1tsp dried thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayeene pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

mix all the spices then after rinsing and patting dry chicken rubs spice mix inside and out, if baking in oven put in resealable bag refrigerate overnight or 4-6 hours.
Preheat oven to 250, place poultry in roasting pans and bake uncovered 5 hours. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.

Now I have mixed my spice, rubbed my birds and baked them right away in a 325 oven for about 2 hours or until wing join is loose.

If using a rotisserie, just follow your rotisserie directions. This is yummmmmyyyyyy!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #14  

Thanks, ladies. I've put all of them into my MasterCook.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining but it is windy and cold outside. We went to early church and then attended a meeting to vote on what to do with two different sums of money that has been left to the church. One is about $900,000 and we all agreed we should pay off our mortgage first. The other is about $60,000 and will be decided upon later when we know how much is left from the first gift. Then we ate a late breakfast at Hardees which was so STUPID; Bob said it would be his last high fat and loaded carb splurge for a long time. We haven't eaten there in over a year I know. After I'm done here I am going to put in another load of laundry and read the Sunday papers.

Maggie -- I need to do some spring cleaning one of these days. Your kitchen rearranging will be a good job to have done. I hope your appliance placement plan works to your satisfaction. Thank you for sharing your recipes with us.

Susan -- Congratulations on shedding another .6# and earning your 10% reward! You are doing well working the plan. Have you been to Curves lately? The fisherman article was in yesterday's paper and the names were not of local guys. I still can't believe they would go on ice so close to open water. There is a huge open water area towards the middle today, but still gray ice closer to shore.

"Gma" -- Thank you for sharing your recipe too! What are you up to today?

I've got to get moving. It's nice enough to go for a walk so may as well start that program today! Have a relaxing day!

Jean -- from Iowa!