Old 02-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #11

Good morning to you all! It is cool and clear here this morning and expected to warm up. It was lovely yesterday except for the wind.

Well, Jack is now all healed, or at least we hope so. He doesn't have to wear the brace, is off the crutches and is finishing up the steroids today and tomorrow. He even has a healed hand, which is great. The brace the hand doctor gave him really seemed to do the trick on that. Now we head into my surgical procedure in the next few weeks and maybe we can settle down and not have any more medical issues for awhile. We will have Marty too in about three weeks while the kids are on a cruise to Mexico with their inlaws.

Jean: Sending good warm weather wishes to you! We are actually going to hit 60 in another week, woohoo! That means it is sandals for me! YEAH! Wow, that is a big difference in billing. I have never actually paid attention to our billing with regards to the drs. Almost all the doctors at our practice are residents, ie mine is leaving in July and I am just sick about it. I finally have a dr that doesn't concentrate on the weight first and the issues last. She helps me not harangues me and I hate losing that. I told her straight out, I want her to give me a doctor with her "vision." We shall see. I just hope I get someone that speaks clear english. We have a of them that don't. It isn't bigotry, it is understanding what they are saying so you can participate in your care.

Maggie: We have two HP printers, both have fax, printing, photo and scanning and there are terrific. Only difference is the one on my computer is wireless. They do use a lot of ink I have to say that. Of course, I do print alot and in black, which is what we run out of all the time. In fact, I need one now. That is too bad about Applebees. Folks trying to control their weight have enough problems without having choices other that salad with ff or no dressing as a meal. If WW can have a bazillion cookbooks that are "diet" friendly, you would think restaurants could adapt.

Well, I am going to oust Jack out of his office so we can have breakfast. I missed my favorite show, "Burn Notice" on Thursday night and it is rebroadcast at 9 so I want to watch it before I get involved in cleaning and such.

Have a great Sunday all and hope it is sunny and warm where you are today! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We went to early church, out for breakfast, and then headed to Sioux City to the home show. We were disappointed! I guess we were expecting more; it was all windows, doors, hot tubs, vacuums, etc., displays. We did find a guy who had the stone we thought we might be able to use on the fireplace. His business is in Omaha so I'm thinking extra money involved in travel time, motel, meals. We have to measure the fireplace, take a picture, and send it to him in an email for a quote. Bob is out shoveling ice chunks away from the house and I've got laundry going.

"Gma" -- I'm glad that Jack is all better! It "feels" warm here today at 30 degrees right now. We left our coats in the car when we went into the home show building. The sun is warm and ice is melting in the street. I just talked to a friend who ate at Applebees on Thursday. She said they had a new WW salad on the menu -- greens, mandrin oranges, pineapple, chicken, etc. She thought it was delicious. I hate it when restaurants change their menu and my favorite is one of the missing items.

The dryer is buzzing so time for the next load. Have a relaxing rest of the day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright sunshiney day here in the Heartland and in the 50's. AH I sure wish spring has sprung but there is more snow in the forecast. Been to church and out to eat this day. Will is such a good preacher I wish all of you could hear the message he brings right out of the Bible. Soon the contractor will get around to putting on a new roof on the church building. It has one of those steep roofs that needs to be redone. I am listening to the Meistersingers on my computer as I type and enjoying it for sure.

DONNA FAYE I am so gladd that Jack is back to exact. He is a quick healer for sure. Hope y'all can be good now and stay away from the doctors. Except of your upcoming process to get taken care of in the next weeks. Maybe by the time Spring has sprung you can be back OP and losing by leaps and bounds.

Everyone have a lovely day that the Lord hath made. Type at y'all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #4  

Good evening, ladies! It was 50 degrees today so I have hopes spring is just around the corner.

The quilt show is over, we took the quilts down, and can now rest up. I ended up spending a lot today on a very few things. I got my sewing machine trolley and matching supply carrier, subscriptions to quilting magazines for 2 years each, a special ruler to make Hunter's Star blocks, and a hand-made pair of taupe leather sandals. The sandals are made for people who have foot problems or are on their feet a lot. They felt great the instant I put them on my very tired feet.

Faye, I'm glad Jack is healed and soon you will have your procedure and then I insist your family stay healthy for a good long time!

Jean, Home shows are not what they used to be. I quit going to them several years ago. The new WW salad at Applebee's sounds really good - I'll have to give it a try.

Maggie, too bad you can record Will's sermon and send it to us.

I'm heating up some chili for supper - too tired to cook.

Have a great evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all! Sounds like we are all ready for spring and sandal weather. I know I sure am. It is really pretty here this morning and looks like it is going to warm up nicely.

Jean: The home shows used to be great, but seems in recent years they do tend to just have windows and such. Not everyone needs just windows in their homes. When we moved into the condo there was some ugly red brick on the fireplace and the mantel needed some loving care. We went and bought this spray for bricks and sprayed the bricks gray and used this textured spray and sprayed the mantel with this textured stuff. It tooks terrific and we didn't have to spend hundreds to fix an ugly fireplace. I was sort of amazed that it worked, but everyone that sees it doesn't know the bricks aren't gray but red. That ww salad does sound good.

Susan: I knew you would spend some quilting money besides pencil lead somewhere! Good for you! Chili sounds really good. I think it is one of those hearty soups that you can take from being really fattening and make into something very tasty and lowfat. It is especially good for someone who is not a veggie eater but likes soup. We are keeping our fingers crossed that no more accidents, etc. I am going to try and make my procedure for the first as Jack has th second off as Good Friday and then has the 5th off because it is MLK memorial day here. That will give me plenty of recoup time in case I have more problems than expected.

Maggie: I saw a house in the "ritsy" section of Memphis that had those I think they are called shaker wooden shingles. It was a huge house with lots of ups and downs and curves, etc. They were ripping one section off and replacing, then going to another section. I came by the house twice in about 4 days time and the last time I came past, they were still at it and had a quantity to go yet. I imagine they are probably still at it.

Alicia emailed me and said Jackson liked his Valentine's bag, put his aquarium tshirt on and wore it all day and watched the movie we bought him several times. It was "Secred of Nimh" and if you know that movie it is about rats and mice so you know it was brave of Nonny to send, even touch the box of that movie! I found it at Walmart and I was sure he didn't have that one. It was made way back when Jay and Kelly were little as I had bought the vcr version and they watched it a lot so I though Jackson might like it.

Well gals, I need to get some breakfast and then get to work in the house. Seems like time to do weekly cleaning has come right around again. Time sure does fly!
Faye
Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly but it is cold -- 16 degrees as I am typing. We have a funeral in Bob's little hometown on Wednesday. It's for another family friend, age 91; the couple used to square dance with Bobs parents and their kids were in the same age group with Bob and his siblings. I know there will be lots of yummy salads there for the luncheon! I need to make a grocery run this morning and dust/vacuum this joint. I think spring must be coming because Ernie is shedding big time.

Maggie -- If you see any signs of spring, PLEASE send some my way!

Susan -- I'm glad you had fun shopping at the quilt show! I couldn't believe you would just stop with your lead purchase! I have some chili in the freezer we need to finish. Thanks for the reminder! I'm hoping that chili weather will soon be gone for a few months!

I'm off to make my grocery list. Hope you all have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Monday March One

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Time sure flies or is it flys, anyway it is already March 1 and the temp is 30 with the feeling of 27 with a chance of snow this day. Not much happening out of the ordinary this day. I don't have a plan for the day as of yet. I have been looking at the news and not anything good there was reported. Will got me a nice "to go" bag" that I have been stocking up with emergency type items to keep in the Jeep. I like to put together my own first aid kit stuff and keep the perishable things rotated. We do plan on hitting some out of the way places when the weather gets better and do want to be prepared as well as we can for any emergency ya know. So now is the time to take a look at my kit and up date it. Just want to be prepared. In my younger days before I got married I had a Jeep and also kept a "snatch em" strap under the seat and used it several times snatching folks out of being stuck on the road side during a torrential rain out in CA. AH Life is good. You know, I fell in love with Jeeps when I was only five years old and remember my first ride in one. I had an uncle . . . They are much nicer inside than they were back then. When the weather gets nicer and the wind doesn't blow so cold it turns your head around I plan on going out the the gun range and get in some practice. We have a membership there and Will and some guys go there but I am not going till the weather gets better even though I know I am a bit rutsty. A little practice will bring me back to exact in no time though. Just need to keep my edge.

DONNA FAYE That old house sounds lovely. I have glass patterns of some of those old mansions with all the cupalos and roofs and neat stuff. Ah, sandals ~ yep sandal weather is going to be here soon. In my minds eye I do believe your fireplace and mantal are lovely. Isn't it great to do remodeling for much less than a contractor charges.

SUSAN Do you breathe a sigh of relief when you have all the quilts down after a show? I can just imagine that that is a chore getting them all up then taking them down but makes for a great showing in the meantime. Have you heard anymore about being in that med program? That sounds so interesting.

JEAN you are colder than we are. It is 30 degrees as I type with a wind chill of 27. OH I am repeating myself ~ but it is chilly and I don't want your weather at all. The signs of spring are not yet here except on some of the drilled crops that are coming up in the country side which are showing a green haze. We saw quite a lot of that when we went on our meat run.

Well Magnolias it is time for me to think about some lunch. Type at y'all later Have a great March.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #8  

Good afternoon, ladies! March has come in like a lamb. It's in the 50s today and the sun is shining. I see some bulbs are putting out shoots.

I went to Walmart and Kroger this morning. I was completely out of milk so had to go. I have Bible Study this evening. Now I am doing laundry.

Jean, I eat chili year round. I love the stuff. I hope you see signs of spring soon. I'm sure the grass will need to be cut by early April.

Maggie, it took us 3 hours to hang the quilts and 20 minutes to take them down. I won't breath a sigh of relief until I get them all back to their owners next week.

Dryer is calling so enjoy the rest of the day!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all! It is raining here right now, but I imagine it will clear up today.

Susan: Nothing is more welcome than when you start seeing the daffodils and the crocuses peek out. I can't wait for spring and summer.

Maggie: They swear the mid part of the country is going to get another bad snowstorm before it is all over. Let's hope they are wrong.

Jean: Hope you got to Souix City and back alright.

We are going to go to Ruby Tuesday's for dinner. I have a coupon for 25% off our whole meal and it expires today. They have a great salad bar and I may get their small steak. I have been slipping and sliding and have to get my brain back on WW mentality. I need to get some fruit as I have run out again.

You all have a nice day. I am going to get my chores done and then run some errands. Faye
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's 19 degrees as I type. I can tell it is lighter earlier in the morning . . . just in time for daylight savings to begin in a few days. I need to do some much needed ironing and put together a ham loaf for lunch. I get hungry for something and it's usually in the freezer; by the time it thaws out I'm out of the mood.

Maggie -- You are a smart gal to fix a first aid kit for your vehicle. Bob has one that his insurance company puts together as well as a towing rope. We have so much snow that you can't see the cornstalks in the fields; it will be a long time before any flowers come peeking through. Someone saw a robin in Des Moines but so far none have shown up here.

Susan -- I'm hoping our flowers survived the winter and will come up eventually. Those in-the-know about yards, etc., have already issued warnings that grass will suffer from the weight of the snow this winter. We had some grass kill last year and the lawn service told Bob it was from the snow. There was a pile on the north side of the house that didn't melt until the very end; that was nothing compared to what we have now.

"Gma" -- I hope the snowstorm prediction is WRONG! This is Iowa and the weather changes every few hours so anything is possible. Somewhere along the way I heard that March is supposed to be a snowy month. Enjoy your dinner at Ruby Tuesdays; I wonder where that name came from?

I'm off to get dressed and plug in the iron. Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 03-02-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #11  

Good morning, ladies! Waiting for rain and snow this afternoon and early tomorrow, but no accumulation. It's 39 degrees right now.

Jean, Ruby Tuesday's got it's name from a Rolling Stones song of that name. The chorus is: Goodbye, ruby tuesday Who could hang a name on you? When you change with every new day Still Im gonna miss you... A little trivia for today from www.chacha.com. The robins are back here, too.

Faye, I like the petite sirloin or the talapia at RT. They have a great salad bar.

Hi, Maggie.

Nothing happening in my corner of the world today.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #12  

Good morning all! It is pretty cold this morning. It ended up being cold and windy yesterday and poor Jack had to work outside all day in it. He came home pretty wiped out.

Susan: It is indeed. Good ole Rolling Stones. We had a nice dinner last night then came home and crashed for the evening. I went to bed early as I was having some discomfort, but didn't get much sleep. Just one of those things I guess.

Jean: Hope you enjoyed your ham loaf. How is that made, btw? I have never seen one. I sure hope you start warming up soon. I know you have to be tired of the cold and snow by now.

Nothing earth shattering going on here today. Jack has an eye appt on Saturday and I have to go in and have my new contacts checked at the same time. I then plan on going to Fresh Market and see what kind of fresh fruit they have available and stock up. Some things at the commissary are great and some stuff not so much.

You all have a great day and hopefully it will start warming up everywhere soon! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-03-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #13  

Good morning, ladies! It's a cool 36 degrees this morning. There was an inch of snow in the night and now it is raining so it is a slushy mess out there. I think I'll stay in today.

Nothing on the agenda but a load of laundry and housework...how boring. I'm working on a new quilt design so that will be my reward for doing the other. It being Lent, today is a meatless day so I am making potato soup for lunch and salmon steak for dinner.

Faye, thanks for mentioning Jack's eye appointment. I keep forgetting to make mine and I called as soon as I read it.

Jean and Maggie - hello, I hope you didn't get any more snow.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! The sun was shining brightly this morning which is strange because we lost it heading west to the funeral. We found it again on our way home though. It was foggy and frosty as we got closer to our destination. The the snow continues to melt slowly. It was like a reunion at the funeral but sadly there are fewer and fewer 'older' people left. Lunch was ham sandwiches, lots of different yummy salads, and all different kinds of cakes, cookies, and bars. We went to Sioux City afterwards to look at rock cover-up for the fireplace and then Menards. I had bell practice later and to the grocery store to pick up the makings for my salad and bars for the college choir potluck, at church, tomorrow night.

Susan -- I do remember the song by the Rolling Stones just didn't connect it with the restaurant. I've never been to one since there are none around here. I hope your snow is gone; I'd almost rather have plain snow than the slushy slop. Not being Catholic, I'm going to ask how you know when it is a meatless day? I just thought it was always on Friday.

"Gma" -- The ham loaf comes in a mixture from the meat counter and I just add eggs, a little milk, and either cracker or bread crumbs. It bakes for a half hour and then I poke holes in it to add a glaze of vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, and ketchup. My MIL had a recipe for hamb balls and that is an equal mixture of ground pork and ground ham with eggs and bread crumbs. The sauce is brown sugar and vinegar which you baste over the ham balls while they bake. I'm not sure why she called them ham balls because she always shaped them like little footballs. I really prefer her recipe but it takes more work unless the store will mix the meat beforehand. If I have them when the kids come home I have to make a double batch.

It's almost time for the news so guess I will get ready for bed and watch to see what I missed today. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all! It is chilly again this morning. I was expecting a warmup already, but it seems to be struggling getting here.

I had to run Jack's car (he took the mariner yesterday) across the street to the bbq place as poor Kelly's battery konked out. We drew a crowd, which was awful since I was in crummy clothing and my hair and makeup weren't done at all. In fact, Fortune's sweet old vet came striding out and put the jumper cables on telling Kelly he would always be at service to a pretty redhead! He is in his mid 70's!!! Anyway, we got her jumped but when she got home last night it died completely and had a dead cell so she had to buy a battery and one of her coworkers will install it for her. Her hubby is out of town until Saturday.
She should have asked Jack, I imagine he could have done it.

Jean: Sort of like meatloaf with ham, huh? I will have to try that if I can find somewhere that will grind ham up for me. Keep your fingers crossed, maybe spring is on its way for you.

Susan: Jack is going to get multifocal lenses like I have. They are really pretty terrific, but durn they are more expensive. I can buy 8 boxes at my regular online vision store for around $19 apiece single vision, multifocal are around $45 a box. Of course, you wear the multifocal for a month instead of 2 weeks so truthfully, they come out about the same. I found a really inexpensive place to get them. Walmart rips you off. They charge $60 a box!! We get a $150 contact allowance so I will buy two boxes from Walmart then just buy the rest online out of my own pocket. I can get 4 boxes for $155 and free shipping. That will give me more than a year's worth so tide me over until my next appt.

Well gals, I need to get to work. There is always something needing doing around here. Have a good Thursday all. Faye