Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #4

Good morning ladies. Well, it is pouring down rain and really windy so that's not great, but I sure do feel a lot better than yesterday. I did have a bout of disturbing upsetting dreams, but good ole Jack helped me over that then I was ok. I am wondering if one of the new meds does that too. Who knows? My dr did warn me to watch for signs of depression as one of the meds can cause problems with that so maybe dreams are a softened version. Anyway, it is really good to feel rested and more like myself this morning.

I came down the stairs with a load of laundry in my arms and here is this big ole spider on the rag rug. I am not afraid of spiders at all, but I didn't want Fortune to possibly get bit, he was behind me, and it was right in my way of walking so here I was juggling laundry in my arms, the dog behind me and me and bungling down the stairs. It was pretty funny looking.

Have any of you watched the tv show, "Chopped" on the food network? I watch it when I catch it and it had several episodes on last night. Boy, some of the things they make these poor chefs cook with. If you don't know the premise, it is known chefs that compete for $10000 and a chance to move on. They are given a basket with hidden ingredients and first round is appetizer, 20 minute time limit, then entree 30 minute and dessert 30 minute with each round one chef being eliminated. This one chef cut her finger during appetizer round and tried to put a plastic glove over a wet hand and instead of drying the hand well and trying again, she gave up on the glove and was working wiping blood off with a towel continually. Welllllll, the idiot woman actually mixed her salad with both hands with this cut unbandaged or ungloved! She would probably not have been bounced as her food was liked the most, but they were grossed out by the fact she did her salad ungloved, as I would be. She then went back into the main kitchen and made excuses for it. Sheesh how unprofessional can you get. She actually told the judges she was disappointed they wouldn't try her salad as "she didn't have cooties!"

I guess I should go and get started on some cleaning. I have left everything go and the work is piling up. Jack said he would help me out so I may leave the vacuuming to him. Have a grand Sunday all and hope your weather is better than ours.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another foggy damp morning in my neighborhood. Bob just left for the second service at church, and I'm waiting for my email to "load." I'm not so sure about this gmail although everyone that has it likes it. It was foggy driving home last night and weird because in some places it was so thick and then others nothing. I need to change clothes and make my "to do" list for the day. If the health department would inspect I would have a hefty fine for sure!

"Gma" -- The Dockers Bob bought yesterday do say 'wrinkle free,' but they will be ironed each time he wears them. It's like I told the clerk a long time ago there is nothing wrinkle free if I can iron it and make it look better. I will be curious how you like bifocal contacts. Do you wear soft lenses? I'm glad you are feeling more awake today! That exhausted feeling is no fun for sure. Everything you do is an effort. I have watched the 'Chopped' show a time or two. I'm surprised the judges didn't pull the chef who cut her finger and didn't bandage it properly and then wear a glove.

I'm off to change clothes and get started on my chores for the day! Have a great day while you continue to !

Jean -- and in foggy Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-17-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another foggy day in my neighborhood. The weatherman says we will be getting freezing rain (sleet?) starting Tue. night into Thur. The weekend weather sounds bad too . . . a wintry mix which means rain, sleet, and snow. I have lots of dust bunnies to chase around today and some laundry/ironing piles to work on. My grandma always said that no one should do housework on Sundays so yesterday I didn't do much.

Hope all is well with all of you! I'm off to get dressed and get busy. Have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies - 52 degrees already so a warmer day but a cold front is moving in by the weekend. Rained all day yesterday.

I had a wonderful time at the quilting retreat. We convinced the organizers to schedule another one next year. The food was wonderful, but there were only full-fat salad dressings, butter, etc. and the meals were all plated so I ate what was set in front of me. I'm ready to be careful this week so I have a good weigh in on Saturday. I pieced a lap quilt top and got a table runner pieced so I was happy with what I accomplished as well.

Tonight I have applique bee so more fun. We are not going to go out and eat before we meet!

Faye, I hope you get adjusted to your medication quickly. I deal with fatigue, too, and it's not fun.

Jean, we had fog moving in a 2 pm yesterday. By the time I went to bed, you could even see the street lights. I was glad to be home!

Maggie, are you making a stained glass window for the dog house? LOL

Need to get to work!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #5  

Morning gals. Sorry my posting has been irratic this last weekend but I have been having some real problems and I think it is the progesterone. Ever since I started taking the darn things I have had bouts of really heavy cramping and then spotting and it has to be connected to this. I am fed up with it so am calling the dr's office and leaving a message to have the dr call so I can speak to her about this.

Susan: Sounds like you had a good time. You know, you would think with all the people trying to get healthy in this day and age, groups that get together would consider that. I bet at least 1/3 to 1/2 of your group were either dieting or trying to watch their weight or had weight related health issues that they have to watch what they eat, etc. Maybe this should be brought up at guild meetings that whomever is providing food, provides options for those trying to lose weight or eat healthy. Glad you are finally getting better weather. It was in the 60's hear today.

Jean: Both my kids use gmail and have no complaints about it. I am beginning to wonder if it is something in your computer not the sites you use. I have worn soft lenses for several years but just for distance and I wear reading glasses. I would like to have bifocals and see how I like them.

I need to get the upstairs cleaned today. I did nothing yesterday because I hurt so badly. If I don't hear from the dr today and have problems after taking the progesterone today I am going to stop it until I hear from her. It was so bad I couldn't function yesterday and I have a fairly decent pain tolerance. I was full of pain meds and had two heating pads on me and it still took 4 hours before it started to let up and then it only did for a couple hours then it started in again. I am going to get my work done before I take my meds for the day just in case. That test is a week from Thursday so I want to be in shape to feel well enough to have it all done to me.

Well, enough complaining. I am going to get started on chores. You all have a great week this week and let's stay op this week. Faye
Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is another foggy morning in my neighborhood. The freezing rain is scheduled to begin tonight and into the weekend. Our last few winters have been pretty mild so I guess this winter is making up for that in a big way. I'm just glad I don't have to go any place -- a trip to WM is even beginning to look good, and that is pretty sad. I went to card club last night; my cards were pretty good for a change and I was 2nd high, but no 'prize' money.

Susan -- I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend! I am also surprised that the food was not more 'healthy eating' friendly. I agree with Donna that maybe that could be a suggestion for the next retreat. Supposedly if there is a foggy spell, 100 days later there will be a measureable rain. Bob wants me to count the days off and see if that's true or not.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry to hear you had a bad day yesterday. I hope today is a better one for you! I will keep my that your doctor will return your call and have some answers for you. Supposedly the computer was checked thoroughly when the tech had it. I may call today and see what he says. Yesterday afternoon it worked fine so who knows.

I am working on my bathroom cupboards and drawers today. Sooner or later my goal is to have the whole house picked up and clean at the same time. That is a novel idea in itself. I need to get busy!

Have a terrific Tuesday . . . remember the choice is yours!

Jean -- and in foggy Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-19-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #7  

Good morning, ladies! Temperature is headed into the 60s today.

Faye, I hope the doctor gets back to you quickly. I agree that it's the change in meds that is making you ill. No fun!

Jean, Sounds like cabin fever is setting in...I hate it when I can't go out at least a little every day. Just hang in there and think of Maui.

I have to sadly say, most quilters I know are way overweight and some are down right obese. They would pitch a fit if healthy food was served. There was a suggest list for next year and I did put a few suggestions. When we have pot lucks, healthy food is very little. That's why I eat before I go. The guild doesn't put on the retreats I go to. Two are individuals and the one I just went to was the County Parks and Recreation sponsored. The two the individuals host at least have a salad bar with every meal and you can ask for healthier stuff. I think Parks and Rec is just too small and there isn't enough interest in healthy eating. I do have to say, I did okay because when I weighed this morning I was the same as my WW meeting on Friday. People bring snacks to share and I was the only one who brought fruit. Cookies, candy, chips, crackers - tons. Sad considering how much we sit while quilting.

Nothing happening today. Have a good day!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is cool here this day in the Heartland. I am staying inside and do plan on starting an exercise program. Goodness sake I have started one before and then it went by the wayside but this day is a fresh start so I won't dwell on what is in the past. I don't have much to say this day for it is just another day. I do plan on finishing up a building I am making for a gal and getting a start on a new project. I always finish one building before starting another. I got a call and a lady wants a gazebo and outhouse. Those little things take as much time to make as do the larger houses. Not the cutting and wrapping process but the actual building of them for they are so little. I don't even have them for myself anymore for all I made have been sold or given away. So I will just have to make myself some when I do make the lady some. She wants them to give as gifts. Anyway I do have enough to do to keep me busy for sure. In the meantime I have the paper patterns cut out for you gals buildings. I do think Will is going to have to figure out how he is going to keep his dog out of the garden come spring and then again maybe Chica won't get in it. That we will just have to wait and see. We are planning on using part of the yard for a good sized veggie garden so it will be inside the fence. We grew "stuff" in boxes that are situated outside of the fence this last year but don't want to use them again this year. By the side of the house there is enough room to make a great garden out by the apple tree. This yard is huge and we never do use that area for anything but to keep mowed. So it may as well work for us to plant food there.

DONNA FAYE I sure do hope that your doctor can give you some releif. Meds can be good for some and horrible for others. They need to get you situated around to be comfortable. My heart goes out to you for feeling so poorly.

JEAN It will be interesting what the result you come up with after you have tracked the weather on your calendar. Will remembers the cold and deep snow when he was a child in Iowa.

SUSAN FOOD. It is hard to be around those that don't want to eat properly at all. I commend you for taking your friendly snacks and staying away from their point laden yummies. When we go out to eat with a group the ones that are bigger than me just look at me funny when I order. I stay away from the white creamy stuff and that they always gravitate to and don't look at them funny at all. I just do my thing.

Well Magnolias I am going to get ready for my main squeeze wants to take me out for lunch at the Professors. Type at y'all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers! Our east windows are covered with ice and it is currently raining with a fog advisory. School and all activities around town have been canceled for the day. It certainly has been strange weather around here! I have a load of laundry going and need to keep sorting and pitching through the tax paperwork. Now I think the magazines are having babies when I'm not looking. The catalogs have slowed way down so that is good.

Susan -- It's good that you are aware of the eating habits of your fellow quilters and are healthy eating smart! I'm surprised they don't take notice and watch the snacks that your bring to the gatherings. Grapes were $4.79 a # yesterday! An employee was putting out other fruit and I asked her if the grapes were any good. She assured me they were so I bought some. I decided I would take them back if they weren't good, but they are.

Maggie -- Our cat hating neightors put a small wire fence around their garden to keep the rabbits out. The deer just step over it. I've never seen a dog in there but I'm sure they could jump over too. Your glass projects keep you busy and it's good to have something to do when the weather is too bad to be outside.

"Gma" -- I hope you are feeling better today!

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday . . . hump day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies! Well, the cold weather is coming back and the temperature won't be above the low 50s today and in the 40s tomorrow.

I don't have any activities planned for this week, so life is in the proverbial rut. Boring.

Maggie, I have a friend who is a diabetic. The doctor wanted to put her on insulin and she refused. She was going to lose weight. I tried to tell her what she needed to do, but she swears she has to have cheese and pasta in quantity, along with sweets, and meat, dairy and veggies make her have pains in her stomach. After 3 years I convinced her to try Curves. She has been going for a year and loves it and it has kept her blood sugar low enough that she doesn't need insulin. She's lost 7 pounds over the year and laments that it isn't more since she exercises 30 minutes 3 times a week - and sits and eats the rest of the time. I've given up. Maybe Chica will keep other critters out of "her" garden.

Jean, I feel better when I hear about your weather. All I need to do is put on a heavier coat and I'm good to go anywhere. I do know fog, though, and hate it.

Faye, I hope you are alright but I guess you must be under the weather still, poor thing. I hope you feel better soon.

The MA senate race was quite a surprise, wasn't it. Maybe they will get the message that the majority doesn't like the direction we are going and the changes that are being made.

Back to work - have a good day!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #11  

Good morning to you all! Boy, I need to get back on my routine. This has messed me up so much and I hate it. Haven't heard from the dr, but I have to go tomorrow for a nurses visit to have my bp checked since they put me on the beta blocker and upped my other bp meds so I am going to ask to speak to her or write her a note. This other problem hasn't stopped so I have to assume it is the medication. It was supposed to help not do this so I imagine or hope she will just take me off it.

Susan: As I have said before my mom died of diabetic comps and she thought taking her insulin meant she could eat what she wanted. My brother is morbidly obese with serious diabetes but won't do anything about it. Ruthie says she doesn't think he will live another year as the attacks seem to be coming more and more frequently. I sure wish you could get through to your friend. My mom lost most of one foot bit by bit because of her disease, her eyesight was affected and she died too young. I am asking Maggie the same thing, how did you get started doing quilting all those years ago. What made you want to start quilting?

Jean: You poor thing, it is rainy, misty actually, here today but supposed to get up into the upper 60's today and stay that way for most of the week. It is really pleasant even with the rain. Hope you have things to keep you busy. You are definitely going to be ready for Hawaii. When do you guys leave?

Maggie: I don't know if any of us have ever asked you how you got started doing glasswork. Did you just take a class and found it fun or what? I know you have been doing it for years, but it would be interesting to know what got you started. I would love to have fresh veggies that I grew myself, but that is absolutely not possible here for sure. I have often wondered how those hanging tomato plant things do and if the tomatoes taste good.

I finally have all the house cleaned. This is commissary weekend, I have dr appt tomorrow and clinic on Friday afternoon so I will busy the rest of the week. I need to give Fortchy a bath and clip his nails and a bit of hair on him until he can go again and be groomed. I have to take him in a couple weeks and get all his shots so I will have him groomed then I imagine.

You gals all have a good day and stay dry and warm. faye
Old 01-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday

GOOD LATE MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is another foggy cold day here in the heartland. I don't have any ambition to speak of and need to get a grip. This isn't my most favorite weather however, I will do some inside exercise and feel accomplishment.

JEAN Will is planning to fence in the garden to keep out the bunnies ~ but I haven't seen any in the yard since we got Chica. But they could be coming in when Chica is asleep.

DONNA FAYE I do hope they get your meds straighted out and your system can readjust back to being better. Glass work ~ years ago in the late 70's when I was still working, a Parole Agent friend of mine (no, I wasn't on parole) said to me one day, "Lets go cut some glass." He was telling me about a class that a shop was starting to teach folks how to cut glass. I never even though about cuting glass until then. We started the class and after I had finished my first project the owners came to me and told me I was a "natural." They wanted me to make some things to put in their shop to sell. They didn't take any commission off my projects and sold all that I could make. I made a lovely round window and it is now in a home on the beach out there in CA. I made lots of windows that are in shops and homes out there. I then got a catlogue that had some books on building houses and I have been doing that mostly for years now mostly due to space for I didn't have the area to do big projects in the trailers or motorhome we lived in for awhile. That is my beginning in a nutshell.

SUSAN Having down time can be a bummer after you have been so busy. Will is certainly going to put up fencing that will keep the critters out of the garden , hopefully.

Time to go see what I can eat for lunch. I haven't eaten anything yet this day. Will just brought me the Better Homes & Gardens Our Best Recipesbook which included a paperback that has their Favorite Bars & Cookies I am sure I can lighten some of them up if I want to bake.

Type at y'all later.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday

GOOD LATE MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is another foggy cold day here in the heartland. I don't have any ambition to speak of and need to get a grip. This isn't my most favorite weather however, I will do some inside exercise and feel accomplishment.

JEAN Will is planning to fence in the garden to keep out the bunnies ~ but I haven't seen any in the yard since we got Chica. But they could be coming in when Chica is asleep.

DONNA FAYE I do hope they get your meds straighted out and your system can readjust back to being better. Glass work ~ years ago in the late 70's when I was still working, a Parole Agent friend of mine (no, I wasn't on parole) said to me one day, "Lets go cut some glass." He was telling me about a class that a shop was starting to teach folks how to cut glass. I never even though about cuting glass until then. We started the class and after I had finished my first project the owners came to me and told me I was a "natural." They wanted me to make some things to put in their shop to sell. They didn't take any commission off my projects and sold all that I could make. I made a lovely round window and it is now in a home on the beach out there in CA. I made lots of windows that are in shops and homes out there. I then got a catlogue that had some books on building houses and I have been doing that mostly for years now mostly due to space for I didn't have the area to do big projects in the trailers or motorhome we lived in for awhile. That is my beginning in a nutshell.

SUSAN Having down time can be a bummer after you have been so busy. Will is certainly going to put up fencing that will keep the critters out of the garden , hopefully.

Time to go see what I can eat for lunch. I haven't eaten anything yet this day. Will just brought me the Better Homes & Gardens Our Best Recipesbook which included a paperback that has their Favorite Bars & Cookies I am sure I can lighten some of them up if I want to bake.

Type at y'all later.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #14  

Good early morning ladies. Here I sit wide awake again and it is driving me nuts. I guess I am just frustrated about feeling crummy all the time. I am either exhausted from meds, or hurting, or headaches, or not sleeping or now I am bummed because I have gained a lot of weight in the last two weeks and have been true to WW so I suspect it is the hormones they have me on. I haven't gotten a call back so I am going to voice my concerns when I am at the doctor today.

It is thundering and raining to beat the band here at the moment and Fortune wanted to go out, but went out and came right back in because of the rain. We have flash flood watches out everywhere around here too.

Maggie: Thanks for the info on how you started with glass. That was interesting. I had to giggle about the parole officer. The books you sent are here, but I have to go pick them up because the mailman wouldn't deliver them with the gate tied shut. I guess it would take too much to pull the string! So, I will probably drive across town and pick them up at the post office today. Thank you again for sending them.

I guess I better go back to bed and see if I can sleep. I may just hunker down in the chair so I don't wake up Jack. He says I don't wake him with my up and down stuff, but I don't see how I don't.

Have a wonderful
Thursday all and stay op today!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-21-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another dark, cloudy, gloomy, "wet," icky day in my neighborhood. I think the sun went on vacation! Schools have a late start because of the frosty/icy roads. There were lots of power outages around us but locally we were ok. I'm bonding with the iron this morning!

Susan -- I'm hoping that Washington was take the hint from the MA election. I was rooting for Brown to win! Sometimes boring is good.

"Gma" -- I'm ready for 60 degree temperatures! We will spend the night in Omaha on Feb. 4th and fly out early the 5th. We are stopping in Denver which is making me nervous with this crazy weather! I would keep calling the doctor on a daily basis until someone calls you back. I hope you get a nap in today; not sleeping is the pits on top of everything else you are dealing with.

Maggie -- After watching the TV news w/pictures of the CA rain and flooding I will definitely take the snow, as I know my house isn't going to slide anywhere. You were a chatty gal yesterday! I wonder why sometimes a post comes through twice.

I need to get dressed and get moving. Have a terrific Thursday in spite of the weather!

Jean -- from Iowa!