Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #16  

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I have started this post and had to stop three times today. Now while I have some peace and quiet I may get it done.Today is commissary day and Navy payday and SS payday and navy retirement pay and we were there when they opened the doors and by the time we finished the parking lot was full and they seemed to be streaming in so I am sure glad we got that finished for another couple weeks. Jack had one of his flushing attacks and couldn't dress until it went away. He was totally miserable. His body looked like he was in Las Vegas lying in the sun all day naked! lol I do feel for him though because it does make him terribly miserable.

Susan: Have to try some of those teas. I bought a couple holiday teas, one a pumpkin blend and another apple, cinnamon and such blend. I never did drink coffee can't abide the taste but I do like tea. Congrats on the weight loss! You are back in the right direction, which is great. I am bouncing all over the place and having female issues again so the doctor and I are going to have a big discussion about it. I am staying on WW and even under pts a bit per day so I should be losing and I am not and I am retaining water as I said.

Jean: We are taking t's stuff over to him tonight. I saw him yesterday when I went to the kitchen to get ice at the school and he was wearing the mummy tshirt I bought him. I noticed he was having a plate lunch so I said to him I thought he always brought his lunch that he didn't like plate lunch. He said he forgot his lunch so I asked him if he had money to pay for it or did he have to charge it and he said he had money. Yeah for Kelly, being a good mom and making sure he always takes some money as a just in case.

Jack finally got around to buying the box for the light upstairs and will tackle that this weekend along with getting the oil changed in the Mariner. It is giving us the message it is time for a change and we wanted to do it before Thanksgiving rolls around and we travel anyway. I finished up morning chores since we came home and got the groceries all squared away then we ran out and did some errands and came back home. Maybe I can sit and sew up some more of Jackson's sweater now.

Hope all is well for your Saturday and you have fun with your trick or treaters. Take care all! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #17  
Thin Within

Talking Rocktober 31 ~ Spook Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I had to log in today and that was weird. I haven’t had to do that in eons. BTW my yesterday post is missing also. Words of wisdom floating somewhere out in cyberspace never to be read. Just out there. If I remember what I said I could re-say it but alas, my memory doesn’t reach there. Such words of wisdom lost. Not much doing on this day. Going out to eat at our favorite steak house this evening which is called Whiskey Creek. They are the best around and Montana Mikes runs a real close second. They sit catty corner across the street from each other also. We don’t get many kids coming to the door here and we have some of those 2 point popcorn balls to hand out to them. They are in company sealed packets so are apt to be eaten. I don’t blame the folks that throw out the home made kind (which taste so much better). Just don’t know what creep will put something in them even in this Heartland. Working in law enforcement for so many years I have been appraised of some of the ugly that happens on this night and it can be horrid to say the least. But I won’t go into it here.

JEAN Just a suggestion ~ find a special place to put cards and such that await their mailing date. Then you can always find them.

SUSAN Well congratulations on that loss. Onward and downward. I like a nice cup-a now and then. My favorite is Oolong but it is hard to find here. It is a black tea. I like to use the loose tea for I have a basket that fits in my tall stainless drink mug (it came with it) and I can make it by the serving that way. One year for Christmas I made up some muslin tea bags with neat little tags and gave a few away in a holiday mug to some folks that were jazzed to get them. This year I am going to put mixes in canning jars with festive instruction tags. I have lots of recipes for cookies, soups, stuffing, brownies, hot chocolate, etc. that go nicely in jars. I especially like doing the bean soup one that layers several kinds of beans in the jar and looks pretty. I make up the spice packets and add all that goes into the recipe that I can. Some of the recipes do require the recipient of the jar to add eggs, milk, water and such. I have fun.

DONNA FAYE Raining still? We are dry and on the cool side. Your take to work lunch sounds good right now. I am hungry and haven’t eaten yet this day. Did the school let your GS pass out that candy to his class? Some places are getting so “politically correct” now days and won’t allow such as that. Pity that.

Everyone have a lovely day and don’t let the spooks get ya! Type at y’all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #18  

Happy Halloween, ladies! Overcast and 73 degrees today.

Nothing exciting today - housework. It just never ends, does it!

Faye, my SS check comes on the second Wednesday of the month so I won't be adding to the confusion at the stores. You might want to look for the Bigelow sample pack if you want to try some of the teas.

Jean, I mostly get my tea at Kroger or Walmart. The Irish Breakfast I get from Trader Joe's. It's available all over, but theirs is from Ireland and the real mc coy. The Scottish Breakfast I get from a tea shop in Williamsburg.

Maggie, I have a collection of over 20 teapots; I use a few of them. I like loose tea. I love those gift jars a lot. I've made a few over the years.

We have trick or treat tonight. I added Animal Crackers to the raisin boxes and pretzels when I found them in little 1/2 ounce bags that are 1 point.

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #19  

Good morning to you all! Well another candy day came and went. I felt sorry for the little kids that live across the street because no one here gives out candy. I have a huge bag of dumdum suckers left from when I bought them for Jackson and I went across the street and got a couple small bags of bite size candy and came back and put little goodie bags together with raisins, the chocolates and the suckers in them and took them over to their kids. I saw a couple little boys down the street see me do it so I went back in and made up a couple more and took them down to them. The little ones across the street always say hi to us and come and want to pet Fortune when they see him and such and I talk to their dad and mom all the time. Their dad was really touched and I just told him it was nothing that we don't give out treats because we go over to our dd's to be with our grandson. Speaking of that, I found out why he didn't go out this year. They always get really creative with his costume, ie he was Mario of the video game one year and a character from th Futerama cartoon one year and so on. Well, Thomas is fed up nobody ever knows who he is... He said they thought he was a plumber the year he was Mario and he kept explaining who he was so he is tired of it. His mom and dad paid him to give out candy this year instead. He is such a hoot. We gave him his loot, which was the leftover candy I bought for the neighborhood kids so we wouldn't eat it, an m and m fan with candy in it, a gummy sucker, a pez, his favorites peeps pumpkins, and his felt frankenstein pail that had cheese popcorn, chocolate eyeballs and some kind of candy corn pumpkins. I then gave him $20 in his card. You don't think I spoil he and Jackson, do you.... I called Jackson to ask him about his trick or treating, but they weren't home so I left him a message instead. Here is my little froggy before he went trick or treating. I guess he outgrew his lion costume and they had to rush and go buy him something bigger! I just hope the stuff I made and bought for him will fit!!!

I found this gift kit from Febreeze at the commissary. It was a pumpkin spice candle, a can of pumpkin air freshner and I thought that was all, but when I got it home it had a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter in it!. I have a delicious sugar cookie recipe so I am going to make some frosted pumpkin sugar cookies to take to Indiana for the boys for Thanksgiving. I bought desserts from Swiss Colony this year and am having them shipped to arrive the day before Thanksgiving to Jay's and he and Alicia are doing the whole thanksgiving so I don't have to lift a finger this year. It was a compromise so I would quit griping about it wanting to go out to eat for Thanksgiving. Jay hates that idea, though we do it with Kelly's family when we are down here for Thanksgiving and Jay doesn't come.

Susan: I am going to try some of that tea when I get finished here. I am going to look at Fresh Market and see what kind of teas they have. I bet they might have some different ones.

Maggie: Do you know, I got so busy, I forgot to take the candy with me to the school? You are right, they were really rigid about when the kids could have treats so I am glad I didn't take them. I went to the clinic and walked in to discover the floor covered in water so had to get that sorted out first thing. It was a total mess. They have been having leaks in the school and I had about three coming down. It was raining really hard all day so I imagine that didn't help. They got it cleaned up and put down buckets and all was right then. No one was sick though! Guess they didn't want to miss their parties.

Jean: You need to buy yourself one of the binder books that are divided into months and you put the cards you want to send into each pocket so you know when to mail them. Of course, you have to keep track of the book and remember to look into it.... I could see you get to December 31 and look into the book and you have leftover cards!

Well, I am going to boil some eggs for some breakfasts this week, put laundry in the dryer, a couple dishes into the dishwasher and sit down with some tea and sew up Jackson's sweater. You all have a blessed Lord's Day today! I am hoping for another sunny day like yesterday.
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (37.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by gma22; 11-01-2009 at 03:12 PM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #20  

Good afternoon, ladies! Raining and 58 degrees.

I had 19 trick or treaters last night. I'm glad I didn't get candy because I can enjoy the leftovers with a clear conscious.

I went to church this morning, then my friend and I went out to breakfast and on to Joann's to use up some coupons we had. It was a nice start to the day.

Faye, Fresh Market will surely have a good selection of tea. We just got one here and it is very nice but really out of my way to go there. Jackson is so cute. It's had to believe he is that big already!

I'm going to go and start gathering up my things to take to the retreat.

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote