Old 09-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #61  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Wink focus...

Well, after finally getting around to reading about bruised ribs on the Net, I figure that's what I have because the descriptions and people's experiences are exactly like mine. So, now I don't feel so bad. I am just going to take it easy (which means NOT taking painkiller so I work through the pain instead of against it) and doing what I CAN do instead of thinking about what I can't do.

I am using some NLP (neurolinguistic programming) techniques concerning eating and I am hoping they will help.
Ever heard of that?

Have to go pick up my new mobile phone. You know they cost about $600 for a new one but you can find deals or go for a cruddy model. I got a half price deal on a slightly older model if I pay up front, so only $300. Not bad, considering.

I'm going to concentrate on awareness of what I'm putting in my mouth, which should help me stop being surprised when I don't lose weight. I think I've said it before, but when you look at the math, it's so easy to wipe out a week or even two weeks' of efforts in a day or two (at least when I do it )
Heck, it's just like money. It flies out of my hands at the speed of light!

Apple -- I hadn't wanted to ask how you were doing because I feared the worst, but I'm so glad to hear you are doing well on the no beer challenge.
Take these challenges one at a time if that will get you through one. The beer has always been hard for you, so don't think little of this accomplishment. I have done no alcohol and such for long stretches (for me long) and the fact that I'm not working now means temptations are rare. When I am on my own, I tend to do healthy things.
Anyhow, don't worry about me. A mere mention makes me feel better. Bad patches are part of my life. I moan and throw tantrums but I AM getting better. I have had a lot of contact with Brits in recent years and I think the wingeing has worn off on me.

Shad -- "How long have you got?" What is your goal? Do you have a certain date by which you want to lose a certain amount?

diyana -- How are you doing?

redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #62  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,

Oh no - do not be a whinging Pom Red. I might have to move along if this is to be!!!

Red - on my other thread, we have a challenge going to lose a nominated amount by Halloween. I have signed up for 3kg. from 81 - 78kg. My doctor told me to lose 4-5kg and go back for another cholesterol test. It was apparently a bit high last time and since I haven't changed what I eat, it has to do with a lack of exercise since that is the one thing that has changed in my life - apart from not working that is. But not exercising has been longer than not working. I've never heard of NLP. Is it some kind of sleep programming??? Listening to sublime messages?? Sometimes I wonder if we dwell too much on this sort of stuff - like not achieving - and our own inadequacies keep us on the back pedal. Not sure if I am making sense here, so I am off to work out the menu for the week and go shopping for the necessities. All my green veges are now coming out of my own garden although I might need to plant some more very shortly. It's cut my budget a bit although soon it will be too hot for the garden and the lettuces and tomatoes will shrivel up and the bugs will be back to eat the lot. Bah humbug.

1300 (about) daily calorie limit - Day 17 1 pause day left
Exercise daily - Day 17 - 1 pause days
Portion control - Day 17 - 1 pause days
Water - 1 litre at least - Day 17 - 1 pause days

Weight is down again this morning after going up on Sat/Sun. I really should add journalling to my challenges to see what it is that is causing these silly swings. I have a fair idea, but it is not proof yet. Maybe do that next time around.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #63  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I had a busy (but fun) weekend and was away from here for a couple days. So I have to catch up with what y'all have been doing. DH and I went fishing on Saturday which was fun and a gorgeous day to be out on the boat. Had a good day yesterday, but was busy from before sun up to well after sunset. I wanted to work on my website...but with the weather being SOOOO nice, and knowing that I'd better enjoy the nice weather while it's here...I chose not to spend too much time on the 'puter (just enough to track my WW points online). My eating went to **** at dinner time (had 2 grilled hot dogs with sauerkraut- yummmm!) - but I haven't used all my weekly extra points yet...so I guess I'm still okay. I'm continuing to step up the exercise, so hopefully my weigh in this week will be good.

Journal and stay within WW points - 3 pauses left - Day 6 completed
Drink 64 ounces of water - 3 pauses left - Day 6 completed
20 minutes (at least) of cardio - 3 pauses left - Day 6 completed
25 crunches - 3 pauses left - Day 6 completed
At least 10000 steps per day - 2 pauses left - Day 3 completed
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #64  
Creating a Healthier Me

APPLE - Good for you on the no beer challenge. Were you able to keep it up even with company around?

SHAD - Good for you for doing well on your challenges and on your weight loss! Enjoy your fresh veg while you have them. I still have garden tomatoes, but everything else is done for the season and has to be purchased.

RED - Here's a long post for you, girlfriend. Why can't we keep patting ourselves on the back? Okay...maybe you can't continually boast about your accomplishments to others....but there's no time limit for how long you can be proud of yourself internally for all you've accomplished. I learned years ago that I can't count on others for recurring approval or recognition. They've got other things at the forefront of their mind. I'm proud of all I have accomplished over the years. I'm proud of who I am, and I think you should be proud of who you are and what you've accomplished. You've done things that many people can't or won't (quitting booze and cigs at the same time), putting yourself first to get yourself out of a VERY toxic job environment, etc., and I'm sure there are countless others. Good for you for realizing you can go to the gym...just do a modified workout. Talk to the instructors/trainers there...they are paid to know what you can and cannot do with a certain injury. After a LONG time thinking I couldn't work out with my injured back because I couldn't even walk, I realized that while I couldn't do classes, or the treadmill or elliptical, I could do the recumbent stepper. And I could use the gym's equipment to help me with my PT stretches/exercises.

As for condemnation and self-berating, I think these have NO place in life. When I have the self-berating tapes start playing in my head....I stop them right away. The past is the past....anything we have done cannot be undone. All we can do is life in the moment, making the best possible choices and forgiving ourselves when we make a choice that doesn't turn out well, as we did the best we could based on where we were. I spent most of my life being self-critical...and not feeling like I was "enough". I would think things about myself that I would NEVER think about a good friend. I learned to have more compassion for myself. And I have tried to think positively as much as possible because I believe that like attracts like. When I think negatively, I tend to attract more negativity in my life, as well as get myself sick with worry or guilt or whatever. Whereas when I think positively, even if positive things don't magically appear instantaneously in my life, at least I FEEL better. I can't think of any reason not to think/feel as positively as possible.

As for who we were when we were in the past versus who we are now...heck, I've had SO many really bad experiences and made SO many mistakes. So many things I'd like to take back or change. But I can't. All of the experiences of my past...good and bad....have made me who I am. And I really, really like who I am. Sure I'm 70 or so lbs overweight. Big deal. That doesn't define me one bit, it can be changed, and I'm working hard on changing it.

I'm glad your forcing yourself to be positive and doing NLP. I have a couple friends who are NLP practitioners. I don't know all about it, but what I do know sounds really good! And it sounds like a good tool/technique not just for weight loss but for life in general.

Interesting that you recognize the accomplishment of Apple's no beer challenge, but you can't recognize your own terrific no booze, no cigs accomplishment!

Good for you for concentrating awareness of your food intake. I'm doing that too for the most part. As well as looking for more 0 and 1 point filling food options.

Now, I really have to get to work.

Hugs to all,

Last edited by diyana; 09-21-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #65  

Taking a pause on all challenges for yesterday. Not a good food day and by the time it came to pick up the pieces I just went for broke. Not good

1300 (about) daily calorie limit - Day 17 0 pause day left
Exercise daily - Day 17 - 0 pause days
Portion control - Day 17 - 0 pause days
Water - 1 litre at least - Day 17 - 0 pause days

That means I have to be good for the next 4 days or I will fail. Not an option. One of my challenges should be to finish all challenges with 3 pause days left.

Well said Michelle. It's absolutely amazing how we can sympathise, empathise, commiserate and cheer on others in this journey but we come down on ourselves like a ton of bricks. Share the love with ourselves I say.

Anyway, final push on the loo today. I forgot to take before photos, but I guess I will get some afters in. Actually it looks a bit clinical at the moment I think so I will have to brighten it up somewhat, somehow. Thinking, thinking. Aaaah well it will come to me. Maybe add some pink..... That should stop any lingering in there by the boys you'd think!

Have a good day
Old 09-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #66  
Never give up

Cool where it stands...

Can't get a hold on the food log. I just hate writing things down so much!

FOOD/EXERCISE JOURNAL -- Day 0 completed

NO ALCOHOL (round 3) --
Day 18 completed 3 pauses taken

NO SMOKING (round 3) -- Day 18 completed 3 pauses taken

CAFFEINE CUT (Round 5) --
Day 6 completed 1 pause taken

NOTE: This tally does NOT include Tuesday, the 22nd....

Last edited by redballoon; 09-22-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 AM   #67  
Never give up

Lightbulb green stuff...

Hi, people. Sorry I'm not writing much. I just don't feel like it at the moment (but thanks all for your lengthy posts, especially diyana).

I am in the midst of drinking some pretty vile-tasting mud green vegetable juice I just zapped up. (cucumber, carrots, red pepper, green pepper, spinach, lemon, celery)

And that reminds me that I have been stealthing and am now going to announce the challenge. It's to drink vegetable juice everyday, as a rule fresh, but I will take premade in an emergency. I did this challenge before and it can be quite hard, but I am resigned to doing it again, even if it means holding my nose and swallowing when I haven't bothered to think of making something tasty.

I don't really know if it helps to drink this stuff, but it can't hurt, can it? I've been doing it for four days straight now so...

I am totally wasting the day today....even feel like smoking..but I have no pauses left and only three days left. I can do it!

Vegetable Juice Challenge Day 4 completed

Last edited by redballoon; 09-22-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #68  
Creating a Healthier Me

Shad - Glad to hear you're on the final stage of the loo. Yes, I should think that a bit of pink might urge the boys to be neat and to not linger. Sorry you had to take a pause on your challenges...but just a few more days, girlfriend. You can do it!

Red - Hang in there with the challenges. You're doing great...don't give up now. I've never made veggie juice, but I do enjoy V-8 (of course it has a lot of sodium). And I love the veggie soup I made over the weekend. It's hard to stop at just one bowl (which would be zero points),so I count it as 1.5 points and have two bowls. As for writing down food intake...I know it's a pain in the arse. But I've found that if I don't do it, my portions get bigger, I go over my points and I end up with a gain. So, that's why I have a daily challenge to journal AND stay within points. It's not fun...but it's what works for me.

Yesterday, I got a ton of exercise! I walked 3 miles or so on my lunch and had my 10K steps in before I left work. Then did 1/2 hour on the treadmill, 1/2 hour of Zumba dance class, and 1/2 hour of weights. Today, I'm going to a workshop after work, so there'll be no gym for me, and I'll be lucky to get my 10,000 steps in.

Journal and stay within WW points - 3 pauses left - Day 7 completed
Drink 64 ounces of water - 3 pauses left - Day 7 completed
20 minutes (at least) of cardio - 3 pauses left - Day 7 completed
25 crunches - 3 pauses left - Day 7 completed
At least 10000 steps per day - 2 pauses left - Day 4 completed
Old 09-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #69  

After all your positive reinforcement I am sorry to say that I failed the beer challenge and need to start again.
I am waiting for the hot weather to pass (this has GOT to be the last bit of it!!) and then I will start running again and get the exercise schedule going. I have been going to the gym a bit more. I am thinking about counting calories (GASP!), that usually helps a lot. I just can't ever seem to stick with all the work involved. I'll try it the next few days and see how it goes.
Red, I am totally curious about NLP. I'm going to look into it. Sounds like you are in a good place these days....I can't believe phones are so expensive over there. $100 gets you a lot in the US. That doesn't include any service plans though...
Hi Shad, good luck on your Halloween Challenge! Sounds like a reasonable goal. And I don't know about pink.....
Diyana, great work with the exercise! And I'm sure you can get in the 10,000!
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #70  
Never give up

Smile still going strong...

Just a quickie for now because I have to get out.
Here's my tally. I'm adding a supplement challenge. Usually I take spirulina and chlorella but I need to take hemp or flaxseed oil as well. I bought a lot of hemp oil and I have to use it up before it goes bad. Can't cook with it so I add it to my juice or smoothies but unless I make them I don't take it. So, I'm going to force myself to. Yesterday I forgot to put it in the juice so I just took a spoonful. It's not that bad....
So, adding that (another stealth)
I really wanted to smoke yesterday but thank to this challenge I didn't. No pauses but only a few more days left so I couldn't see not seeing the challenge through to the end. Hurrah!

SUPPLEMENT Challenge Day 4 completed
VEGETABLE JUICE Challenge Day 4 completed
FOOD/EXERCISE JOURNAL -- Day 1 completed
NO ALCOHOL (round 3) --
Day 19 completed 3 pauses taken
NO SMOKING (round 3) -- Day 19 completed 3 pauses taken
Day 7 completed 1 pause taken

Apple -- Too bad about the beer challenge. Try to come up with alternatives, even non-alcoholic beer may help, no? And read Allen Carr's book on drinking. Although it sounds like you don't really want to stop. As for NLP, it's basically image work. There's a book out on weight loss called I think "I Can Make You Lose Weight" or something like that. I don't have it but the techniques are NLP.

diyana -- Some years ago I bought a super juicer from the States and have that hooked up. Had to get a step-up transformer and plug converters for it but it is SO worth it. It is super fast and huge and I often whip up 2 pints of juice in a matter of seconds. I just wish I knew if it was really helping to drink this stuff. I must say I don't notice a difference. Then again, almost everyone can't believe my age and put me at a good 15 years younger....lol. I think it's just in my family, that and the fact that I don't think much.

Shad, you really had me there for a while. The "final push on the loo" and I thought you were telling us that you were constipated. I didn't remember talk about working on the bathroom. Glad you weren't going into too much detail. Don't worry. I'll never be a Pom.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #71  
Creating a Healthier Me

It was raining most of the day yesterday, and I had a class/workshop after work, so I couldn't get to the gym....so I have to take pauses on my exercise challenges. Oh well, I will walk more at work today and am going to the gym tonight.

Journal and stay within WW points - 3 pauses left - Day 8 completed
Drink 64 ounces of water - 3 pauses left - Day 8 completed
20 minutes (at least) of cardio - 2 pauses left - Day 7 completed
25 crunches - 2 pauses left - Day 7 completed
At least 10000 steps per day - 1 pauses left - Day 4 completed

Apple - Bummer that you have to start again with the beer challenge. Is it the heat that's making you crave beer? Or social situations? Could you have a diet soda instead? I know, I know....diet soda is not nearly the same as a good beer. I just wondering if you might be able to avoid situations or foods where you tend to drink beer or find a substitute. Even an N/A beer like Sharps or Odouls? Counting calories is a great way to have a reality check. As for the heat and exercise...I understand. Can you run early in the morning when it's cooler (if it's cooler)? I'm starting to think about contingency exercise plans for when we have inclement weather and exercising outdoors is not an option and the roads are too bad to get to the gym. I've got some DVDs and weights that I can use at home (even though I prefer the gym).

Red - Good for you for adding supplements to help regulate your body and enhance your health. Is the book you're talking about called "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna? He had a 5 or 6 part TV show on about a year ago that I DVRed but it accidentally got deleted.

Shad - I hope you're having a good day!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #72  
Never give up

Hi, there diyana, just see your light on. I just finished a late carrot juice. Forced myself to make it and added the hemp oil so I could notch days on both. Hurrah!!

Oh, and yes, that is the book! You have the title right! As I said, I haven't read it, but I know a lot of people like it and it uses NLP techniques.

Last edited by redballoon; 09-23-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #73  
Never give up

Thumbs up tally up!

Another day notched on all fronts!

SUPPLEMENT Challenge Day 5 completed
VEGETABLE JUICE Challenge Day 5 completed
FOOD/EXERCISE JOURNAL -- Day 2 completed
NO ALCOHOL (round 3) --
Day 20 completed 3 pauses taken
NO SMOKING (round 3) -- Day 20 completed 3 pauses taken
Day 8 completed 1 pause taken

Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #74  

1300 (about) daily calorie limit - Day 17 0 pause day left
Exercise daily - Day 17 - 0 pause days
Portion control - Day 17 - 0 pause days
Water - 1 litre at least - Day 17 - 0 pause days

Okay - well I have failed all challenges. Yesterday was such a bad day that it was just all too hard and I have eaten too many carbs and therefore my weight is up. Bad all round.

So we start again. I'm going to add journalling food into the equation. It seems that even though I know what works and what doesn't, the brain doesn't want to equate bad with don't!!

So again. New challenge.

1300 Calories or there about per day
30 minutes solid exercise per day - 3 pauses
1.5 litres of water per day
Journal food and water.

Got to be better all around today.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #75  
Never give up

Just drinking another rather unpalatable vegetable concoction of mine... (carrots, tomato, cucumber, celery, lemon, hemp oil, red pepper, asparagus)
But it means I'll have notched another day on two of the challenges! Today is the last day of no booze and no cigs...gotta make it through.

Shad, lousy that, having to crash the challenges on the 18th day. But, you're 17 days ahead of The Game! Good for you for climbing right back on the horse!