Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #44

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is peeking through the clouds and it is a "warmer" 55 degrees this morning. I'd enjoy some 70 degree mornings, and the weatherman had promised 70+ for the long weekend. I need to make a grocery run this morning and I have a 30% off coupon from the jewelry store for our anniversary. Bob won't be home until early evening so I need to do some dusting before then.

Maggie -- A belated to Will! I hate it when mechanical things make excessive noise that is annoying. I've always thought our furnace is way too loud. We are on year #14 and we were told it would/could last 15. I hope it doesn't quit during the cold months of winter. Enjoy your new freezer and your renewed WW determination! It's nice that Will will work the program with you.

Susan -- Thank you for sharing the web sites. I will definitely take a look! We sometimes have the debate of whether or not food is still "good." I have noticed more shelf items do have expiration dates on them which is good. One of our stores is really bad about leaving outdated items on the shelf so I do watch there. I'm sure WW meetings will be busy with the free registration and free month. We never have a 2nd weigh person and the line gets quite long so that the leader is always late starting the meeting. I see there is a new meeting at the hospital which meets at noon so I might see if that is open to the public.

"Gma" -- I hope your new neighbors are GOOD ones this time. I have no clue what a camshaft is/does, but I hope that it will solve your car problems. I know you aren't looking forward to your medical appts. but it's nice to have them over and done with. I've seen the picture of the Mario character and he looks just like the same Mario that Jason played with on Atari many years ago. I liked Pac Man myself! I got pretty good at it too, if I do say so myself.

I need to get dressed, put my face on, and get moving. Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS
Graceous sakes it is September already. The fires in CA are burning and will continue to burn for it isn't even Santa Ana Wind time yet. October out there the warm winds come off the dessert with vengence and they can turn your head around. They whip up those fires something fierce. One of my nephews and his girlfriend are both firefighters and are out there among it all. They each have their own crews to run. One of my brothers was a fireman. I am going to make a loaf of Foccacia bread this day and make spaghetti for dinnner. That's the plan with a nice green salad. Have any of you gals gotten any of those WW bars that are vanilla with chocolate cookie crumb covered? They are 2 points and really good. My new microwave is a hoot. It packs 1250 watts and zaps stuff real fast. It also has a "keep warm" feature which will keep food warm for up to half hour. Will bought me the cutst little hand made rocking chair that my Thin Within doll just fits in yesterday. Some man hand made it and it was on sale at the museum store. I set her on a shelf I have on the wall above our little kitchen table. He also got a cute hand made wooden bench that has cowboy stuff on the seat, boots etc. ~ real cute and it also is on my shelf in the kitchen. Life is good.

JEAN Isn't it nice to be retired! A woman of leisure now. Our weather has cooled a bit also and I love it. I really don't do well in humidity ~ am I repeating myself? Well I don't do well in humidity at all. So I stay inside with the air conditioner when it is real bad. Maybe after I lose this pillow of fat that is attached to me it will be better. That would be nice if you could go to WW at the hospital. Wish they would start another session here.

DONNA FAYE I am thinking about you having all those tests this day. I hate getting a mameogram. Last time they had to do it over and I was not a happy camper. This year if they don't get it right the first time I will tell them they can do it over next year. The spot they were unsure of was the very spot I told them to mark because it is nothing. Well they found out I was right but still charged me for the second exam ~ I had been through this before and know what that spot is. They said "oops" for they had the old records. One shot at it and that is it till next year. I have spoken. I will be intereted to know, though, if the pills I have been taking made the bone in my right pelvic area stronger. Seems the density was poor last test. I hope your tests come out good. Also hope you do get your car back all fixed and ready to roll. It amazes me what they can learn when they hook cars up to their diognostic machines.

SUSAN Thanks for the web addresses. Girlfriend our birthdays are coming up soon ~ got any special plans on how you will celebrate yours? Did you make that quilt with that character on it? I haven't done any glass work for a week now ~ been typing and more typing. But I'll get back to it when I have this typing all done. When we get our new iron king size bed we have on order (they are building it) I do want to get some sort of cover for it. Ecru color I am thinking.

Well folks I need to get lunch started to be ready when my main squeeze gets back. Have a lovely day ladies.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-02-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #3  

Good morning to the flower patch! Looks all cloudy like rain today but it did that yesterday and then cleared right up into a beautiful day. It is a nice temp, probably high 70's right now.

I am having a nice big piece of canteloupe this morning. I will be sad when they are all gone for the season. It is one of my favorite fruits.

I am working on getting my house cleaned downstairs today and then a haircut, clinic and Thomas and Marty tomorrow. This is commissary weekend so T is going to have to go shopping with us on Saturday if he wants anything to eat. They make fresh sushi at the commissary so I am going to let him get some of that as I know he loves it so much. He can have it for lunch or something.

This lack of sleep is catching up with me. I am not sleeping through the night at all, waking 3-5 times and most times having to come downstairs and sit in the recliner. I am dragging again this morning, but once I am up and going more I am sure I will be fine.

I talked to Jackson last night. He got on the phone and said, "Hi, Nonny," just as clear as anything. I was so surprised I started crying. I asked him a bunch of questions and he was all animated about it. I can't wait to see him in a couple months.

Jean: Happy Anniversary to you and Bob. I thought it was tomorrow, but then I thought I saw you said it was today so didn't want to miss it. Hope you have a grand one! My birthday is coming up in 3 1/2 weeks, but no great shakes other than getting a year older. I have still not run out of birthdays. I have Jay and Kelly's and Jack's and our anniversary in the next couple months. Sheesh! I have part of Kelly's gift and am hunting around for something nice for her but am at a loss for Jay. He may get a darn gift card. I hate to buy them gift cards because I don't want them to think I don't want to put out the effort, but for example, Tom is very hard to buy for so I buy him a gift card and he can buy something that suits his fancy.

Maggie: I have had Kenmore microwaves for years and swear by them. The one I currently have I have had for eons it seems like. They are so reasonable now so I imagine most people have them.

Well, this isn't eating breakfast and working. I am dying to get into a new book I bought too and have to get knitting done if I am to get three projects done before Christmas. TTFN and remember "What crosses the lips, goes on the hips!"
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy and cool in my corner of the world this morning. I'm going to the greenhouse when I finish here; one of our bell ringer's dad died. He had been in the nursing home for years with Alzheimers so it is a blessing. Next is to clean both bathrooms and vacuum. Jason's in-laws are coming over tomorrow afternoon and we are going in search of a good place to eat -- probably up at the lake.

Jason turns 36 today and we've been married 42 years; both events seem like yesterday.

Maggie -- I must admit that we haven't had a whole lot of really humid weather this summer, which is very unusual for Iowa. We usually have a 2 week period where the air runs 24/7, but I don't think we've even had it on more that a couple three times this summer. The old timers are predicting the winter -- some say that the locusts have been singing all summer so it is going to be colder than usual, then others say it will be mild because of El Nino, and the 93 year old "weatherman" says to check the end of the corn ears right before harvest! If the husks are tight it will be cold; if they are loose then it will be mild. We'll see. Is the CA fire close to your where your mom lives? I watched the NBC news last night and they showed the firefighters' base camp and some of the fire damage. It's nice of you to do Will's typing but I'll bet you are anxious to get back to your glass projects. Enjoy your spaghetti dinner -- sounds good!

"Gma" -- You posted while I was typing. It sounds like you have a busy day (and weekend) planned. Thank you for the anniversary wishes. Like I said, it seems like yesterday! Where, or where does the time go? Our kids like money so the last few years we have bought some little token (Jason is getting a bag of Snickers) and written out the check. This Christmas will be easy since it's airline tickets and hotel reservations.

The greenhouse should be open so I'm off to buy a plant. Have a great day and remember to !

Jean -- and in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 09-03-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #5  

The following article was in my weekly email from Prevention Magazine. I thought it was interesting and certainly worth a try.

Eat Like Skinny Women
8 Secrets of the Naturally Slim

Act like you're a size smaller, and you'll be a size smaller. How thin women thrive in a supersized world

By Megan McMorris , Megan McMorris is a freelance health and fitness writer from Portland, OR.

We all have that one thin friend--one of those skinny women who's never bullied into submission by the bread basket, and when she says "I'll just eat one bite," she does just that. Is she for real?

Turns out, research shows that skinny people simply don't think about food the same way as--well, the rest of us. "Thin people have a relaxed relationship with food," explains David L. Katz, MD, an associate professor adjunct in public health at Yale University. "Those who are overweight , however, tend to be preoccupied by it. They focus on how much or how often they eat, or attach labels like good and bad to certain foods. As a result, mealtime is always on the brain."

Here, weight loss experts explore the mysterious minds of "naturally" slim, and how to eat like skinny women. Learn what they do, what they don't, and how you can act the part.

1. They Choose Satisfied Over Stuffed

On a fullness scale of 1 to 10, skinny women stop eating at a level of 6 or 7, says Jill Fleming, RD, author of Thin People Don't Clean Their Plates. The rest of us may keep going to an 8 or 10. Why? It may be because you mistakenly equate the sensation of fullness with satisfaction and feel deprived if you stop short, says Fleming. Or you may just be used to finishing what's in front of you, regardless of whether you really need it.

Copy Them: To eat like skinny women, about halfway through your next meal, put your fork down and, using the 1 to 10 scale, rate your level of fullness. Do it again when you have about five bites left. The goal is to increase your awareness of how satisfied you feel during a meal. (Bonus: It also slows down your eating, which allows the sensation of fullness to settle in.)

2. They Realize Hunger Isn't An Emergency

Most of us who struggle with extra pounds tend to view hunger as a condition that needs to be cured--and fast, says Judith S. Beck, PhD, author of the new Beck Diet Solution. "If you fear hunger, you might routinely overeat to avoid it," she says. Thin people tolerate it because they know hunger pangs always come and go, buying them some time.

Copy Them: Pick a busy day to purposely delay lunch by an hour or two. Or try skipping an afternoon snack one day. You'll see that you can still function just fine. Then next time you feel those grumbles, you'll hold off before making a beeline for the fridge.

3. They Don't Use Food To Cure The Blues
It's not that skinny women are immune to emotional eating, says Kara Gallagher, PhD, a weight loss expert based in Louisville. But they tend to recognize when they're doing it and stop.

Copy Them: Add the word 'Halt' to your vocabulary, says Gallagher. More than just a command (as in stop eating that entire sleeve of cookies), it's an acronym that stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired --the four most common triggers for emotional eating.

If you're truly hungry, eat a balanced snack, such as a handful of nuts, to tide you over until your next meal. But if you're angry, lonely, or tired, seek an alternative calorie-free solution to your emotional need. Blow off steam by going for a run or just jumping around--the heartbeat boost will help dissipate your anger. Lonely? Call a friend, e-mail your kid, or walk to the park or mall. Being around others will make you feel more connected to your community (even if you don't bump into anyone you know). If you're tired, for heaven's sake, sleep!

4. They Eat More Fruit

Skinny women, on average, have one more serving of fruit and eat more fiber and less fat per day than overweight people, reports a 2006 study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

Copy Them: Start tinkering. To eat like akinny women, examine your diet for ways to add whole fruits (not juices) to your meals and snacks. Aim for two or three servings per day. Sprinkle berries in your cereal or on your yogurt. Add sliced pears to your turkey sandwich, or bake an apple for dessert. Keep a bowl of fruit on your kitchen table or desk to motivate you to think fruit first, vending machine never.

5. They're Creatures Of Habit
Any dietitian will tell you that a varied diet is good--but too much variety can backfire, says Katz, author of The Flavor Point Diet. Studies have shown that too many tastes and textures encourage you to overeat, he explains. "Thin people have what I call a food groove--the majority of their meals consist of well-planned staples," says Beck. "There are a few surprises thrown in, but for the most part, their diets are fairly predictable."

Copy Them: Try to eat as consistently as possible with your major meals--have cereal for breakfast, a salad at lunch, and so forth. It's okay to add grilled chicken to the salad one day and tuna the next, but by sticking to a loosely prescribed meal schedule, you limit the opportunities to overindulge.

6. They Have A Self-Control Gene

Researchers at Tufts University found that the biggest predictor of weight gain among women in their 50s and 60s was their level of disinhibition, or unrestrained behavior. Women with low disinhibition (in other words, a finely tuned sense of restraint) had the lowest body mass index. High disinhibition (i.e., low restraint) was linked to an adult weight gain of as much as 33 pounds.

Copy Them: Prepare for moments when your disinhibition is likely to be higher--such as when you're in a festive atmosphere with a large group of friends. If you're at a party, tell yourself you'll take one of every fourth passed hors d'oeuvre. If you're out at dinner, order an appetizer portion and share dessert. Or if you're stressed--another low-restraint moment--make sure you have a source of crunchy snacks (like fruit or carrot sticks) at the ready.

7. They're Movers And Shakers
On average, skinny women are on their feet an extra 2 1/2 hours per day--which can help burn off 33 pounds a year, according to a study from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.

Copy Them: Try a reality check. Studies have shown that people often overestimate how active they really are, says Gallagher. Most people actually spend 16 to 20 hours a day just sitting. Wear a pedometer on an average day, and see how close you get to the recommended 10,000 steps. Your day should combine 30 minutes of structured exercise with a variety of healthy habits, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator or mopping the floor with extra vigor. To see how many calories your activities burn, see the exercise calculator at www.caloriecontrol.org.

8. They Sleep--Well
Skinny women snooze 2 more hours per week, compared with overweight people, says a study from Eastern Virginia Medical School. Researchers theorize that a lack of shut-eye is linked to lower levels of appetite-suppressing hormones like leptin and higher levels of the appetite-boosting hormone ghrelin.

Copy Them: Break it down: Two extra hours of sleep a week is only 17 more minutes a day--a lot more manageable, even for the most packed of schedules. Start there and slowly work toward 8 hours of snooze time a night--the right amount for most adults.

Quick Tip Eat breakfast! 78% of successful dieters do it every day, according to the National Weight Control Registry, A database of more than 5,000 people who've lost more than 30 pounds and kept the weight off for at least a year

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 09-03-2009 at 10:58 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #6  

Good morning ladies, another rainy day in the 70s.

Haven't done anything but work and then go home and work on the quilt guild challenge. Tonight, however, I will be going with my friends to Olive Garden for Dinner (2 meatballs and salad for me) then on to my First Thursday Bee. Good friends, good eats, and a good dessert, now that's a perfect evening!
And the fun will continue tomorrow because I am spending the day with Glory. We'll be planning how we are going to hang the Challenge quilts and then quilting the rest of the day, with a break to go to Ruby Tuesday or Happy Belly for a late lunch/early dinner.

Jean, a very happy anniversary to you and Bob. Before you know it, it'll be 50.

Faye, I'm only having birthdays until 2011 and then I'll stop counting. No plans for me this year, but next year I'm going to a quilt retreat Oct. 8, 9 and 10 so that will be my gift to myself. I love sushi, too, and think I'll make a Trader Joe's run over the weekend and get some with brown rice. It does make a good lunch. Gosh, Jackson is walking and talking and it seems like yesterday you were waiting for the call.

Maggie, I haven't had time to make the quilt from the book yet but it's got me to thinking I can do several from that book and put them together like a book and enter it in next year's challenge. No matter what the theme, I can probably twist it to fit what I want to make.

Have a great day, ladies!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #7  

Good morning to you ladies! Lots to do today. I have to go and get a haircut as soon as they open this morning, then I have Thomas's clinic for the first time this afternoon, then rush home and then go over to T's to pick he and Marty the wonder dog up for the weekend, bring Marty back then take Thomas out to eat wherever he wants to go. In the meantime, I have to make a menu and a grocery list so we can go shopping tomorrow and get some groceries in the house. Mother Hubbard's cupboard is kind of bare. Now that we are on WW we don't have tons of junk here all the time, which is good, but it also makes it imperative that we have to shop on commissary weekend to stock back up. I have tons of veggies and canned stuff and some boxed stuff, but have to always get all the other stuff.

Jean: I heard the Farmers' Almanac is predicting a very cold winter for most of the country with lots of snow where you and Maggie are, colder than normal for me and warmer than normal for Maggie and Gail and Susan's area. Now the meteorologists are saying just the opposite that the El Nino will make it much milder than in years past and that we will have one of the hottest summers next year on record. I say we will have colder weather simply because it cooled off so soon this year, but what the heck do I know?

Susan: Thanks for the article. Personally, it is a little simplistic in its thinking mainly because fat people have issues that in my opinion are twisted in their thinking and usually have some issue that causes obesity, sort of the reverse of a anorexic or bulimic person. We may go to Olive garden tonight to so I may see you there! It is the one restauraunt I know I can stay within points, but it is all on what Thomas wants. I know, I can't believe how much Jackson has grown. Do you know that in this county that Thomas only has one more year of grade school then goes to middle school! Yikes! My son turns 36 this year, which is spooky too. I was talking to the nurse that takes care of me at my regular doctor and we were talking about kids and she told me how old hers were and I smiled and said I had grandchildren that were 9 and 2, but the hard part for me was my son was getting close to 40 as he will be 36 this year and it made me feel old. She said, "Yeah, I know, I am 38!" She didn't have to say that.....

Well, I hear the closing of the doors upstairs and the hall light just came on which means my honey is coming downstairs with the clothes basket to get some breakfast so I am off for now. Have a good Friday and weekend everyone!
Faye
Old 09-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another cool sunny morning in my neighborhood. Ernie likes to sit in the open window and it is a bit chilly sitting here. I've got to pick up the debris around here and hit the high spots with the vacuum and dust rag. We are going out to eat with Amanda's parents later this afternoon/evening. I'm not sure if we will end up back here to visit or not, but I don't want any dust/fur bunnies running around.

Susan -- Thank you for sharing the Prevention article; it has lots of "food for thought." I'm sure you enjoyed your three goods from yesterday as they all sound like winners to me. I know you will enjoy your day with Glory today. I just out loud when you mention eating at the Happy Belly. I think that is such an appropriate name for a restaurant. Thank you for the anniversary and birthday wishes. Jason sent an email wishing us a Happy 41st; you'd think since his birthday is the same day he could keep track better.

"Gma" -- You have a busy day with working at the clinic and rounding up your weekend guests. Wherever you go out to eat I'm sure Thomas will be a delight. I was watching the weather channel the other evening and the guy said the winter will be like a sandwich; the west and east coasts will have it fairly mild while between the Rockies to the Appalachians will be colder and wetter. Since there is nothing we can do about the weather we will just wait and see what develops. I certainly don't feel old enough to have a son who is "almost" 40.

I'm off to start on my "to do" list for the morning. Have a GREAT day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #9  

Good afternoon to you all! I was so busy this morning, I never did get in here. We got up and got ready, went and got a bit of breakfast, me an egg mcmuffin with no cheese, then out to the commissary. That took until about half an hour ago, put it all away and now it is relaxing time. We are going to take him to Incredible Pizza or whatever the place is called tomorrow morning and veg out on Monday until we take him home. He is watching "National Treasure Book of Secrets" right now. It was funny because he as channel checking and saw it and both he and his granddad said, "Ooh, National Treasure" as exactly the same time. It is one of Jack's favorite movies. He just finished his lunch of california rolls and terriyaki sushi a couple minutes ago. Of course every old lady in the commissary drove him nuts about his red hair and wanted to hug him and such. Poor little guy. It embarrasses him and he said it happens all the time.

Jean: I had a poor little sweetheart yesterday with separation anxiety, first time away from mama at school. She was sobbing so hard she couldn't event talk. I felt so sorry for her. I did get her all calmed down then some stupid woman who knew her came in and got her all revved up again because she wanted her to go with her and the little girl wanted to do what I told her to do. Brother!

Well, I need to eat some lunch and then I am going to take a nap. I am not used to these 5 am mornings and 11 pm nights!
Faye
Old 09-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a partly sunny partly cloudy kind of day in my corner of the world today. The thermometer says 80, but I don't think it feels like 80. I did my stint in the gift shop this morning. I had two customers, including myself, plus our minister stopped in to say "hello" on his way to make a visit. I need to make a grocery run and start a load of laundry.

"Gma" -- I was up at 5 and just couldn't get back to sleep. I was tired last night and went to bed a little earlier than usual. I should know better. I didn't realize that red hair was such a novelty. I'm sure T attracts attention because he is such a cutey. We have lots of dyed red hair at school! I hope you got your nap in.

I need to get a move on. We are going to the lake tomorrow so need to make some finger jell-o and baked beans for a starter.

Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #11  

Good afternoon, ladies! 82 degrees right now. I love this weather.

Spent the entire day and evening with Glory and I'll be going back tomorrow for some more fun and stitching. We had Prime Rib at the Happy Belly last night - only $9.99 and it was a huge piece. We both took half our potato and meat home so we have supper for tonight. I had quilting bee Thursday night. Lots of fun. This morning I made a Trader Joe's run and got fruit, veggies, nuts and Greek Yogurt. Then I went to JoAnn's for red fabric to sash a quilt of valor I'm making. House cleaning now.

Have a great day, ladies!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all! We had all breakfasted, Jack and Thomas have showered and are ready for the day. I am waiting for the water to heat up. We are taking him to incredible pizza company later today so my weekend is pretty much shot food wise. You have to buy their buffet to get into the place and I am not paying $10 and not eating anything. They have salad if I remember right and soup, but I will just try and do the best I can. We did have Faye's stuff with rice and broccoli last night so Thomas got a good meal. I am skinning cornish hens and putting rotisserie seasoning on them and baking them, then some oil oil and garliced asparagus with a baked potato for dinner. He seems to be having a good time. He is getting to play his video games a lot and we had a game of parchessi (sic) last night, but they gained up on me and I came in dead last.

Jean: Have a good time at the lake. You won't have a whole lot more time up there I imagine before it cools off too much. Poor Thomas had this old lady on his heels the whole time. She and her daughter or granddaughter I don't know which were shopping at about the same speed as us. She just kept talking to him telling him she was going to take him home with her and such. He really does hate that, but he takes it all in good sport. His granddad asked if all the attention embarrassed him and he said yes, then ask him if Nonny embarrassed him and he said sometimes. I told him that was what grandmas do sometimes, but at least I no longer kiss him in public!

Susan: Sounds like you had a good time with Glory. My fridge and freezer are packed again. I let Thomas buy whatever he wanted of course, but he did ok. He got some soughdough pretzel nubs he likes, his sushi and a little carton of dipping dots. He is not a huge junk food eater and never drinks soda. He did get himself some little cartons of apple juice to go with the lemonade he has here. He ate my "stuff" so I guess he liked it ok. He is such a good kid and he behaves so well, but he is still a nine year old with all that boy energy. He loves having both the dogs here and gets them all worked up playing and such chasing them around, but other than that he just plays his games and watches tv. We watched WaliE last night and it is a cute movie, but I think it is sad and boohooed which Jack thought was hilarious.

Well it is time for me to get upstairs and shower and dress. Have a good sunday.
Faye
Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers! We left early this morning and spent the day at the lake. It was a might chilly with a stiff breeze but the grandkids had fun playing in and out of the water. We brought the boat home and will go back up in a few days to shut the place up for the winter. The house behind us sold and they had their family and friends crowded together on their 25' of beach. I hope that won't be an every weekend happening. They weren't in our way just lots of coming and going by our place, and sharing water space for swimmers, boats, and a jet ski.

Susan -- It sounds like you have enjoyed your time with Glory, and have been busy since. I would love some of your "warm" weather!

"Gma" -- Bob grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken, I fixed baked beans, cheesy potatoes (don't bother to buy SAM's Club as they have NO taste), Jell-0, and SAM's cheesecake bites for dessert. We finished lunch and both Ian and Maddy came back inside wanting a "snack!" We hadn't even cleaned up the kitchen yet and they each ate another hamburger in a bun. The fresh air must contribute to hunger because they were asking for food off and on all day. Everyone was tired when it was time to leave.

I'm heading for bed because I am tired. See you tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #14  

Good morning gals! I seem to be terribly sleepy this morning. Must be all these late nights. Actually, I gave T permission to stay up as late as he liked last night and he was falling asleep playing video games around 9:45 so he went to bed and went right to sleep after brushing his teeth. We are just going to hang out today until we have to take him home.

The Incredible Pizza Place didn't get real busy like usual and we couldn't figure out why until we remembered this weekend and next is the delta fair and it is less than 5 miles from this place. It was nice not to have to deal with huge crowds. I sat and knit and they played games and such and had a good time. We have had too much fatty food this weekend, so I imagine a couple lbs will be added to my weigh in for the week, but that happens and it is ok. Thomas was funny though. He has been eating our ww ice cream and last night he had one of the chocolate cake ww desserts. He said, "boy I wish I were on WW so I could eat this stuff it is delicious!" I told him if he were on ww there would be nothing left of him! He has weighed 60 lbs for several years now though he has grown inches and inches taller. He is at or near 5 ft tall.

Jean: I have the best augratin potato recipe or at least I think so. I use cans of sliced potatos because they hold their shape and don't get mushy, besides you don't have to worry about them not getting thoroughly cooked. I then make a roux of 3 tabl margarine and 3 of flour then add 3 cups of milk and whisk until it thickens. I then put in about 1 1/2 lbs of velveeta cut into cubes and mix it until it all melts. I salt it to taste then mix it in a bowl with the potatoes and an onion that has been chopped. I transfer to a flat baking dish and evenly distribute then bake for about an hour to hour and a half until the top is nice and brown. It isn't for the dieting, but it is really yummy. Sounds like you guys had fun on your last summer outing up there.

We have had rain several nights in a row now so I hope it has moved on through. I need to get out and clean my deck, but the leaves will be falling in another month so why bother until that happens?

You all have a good start to the week. Jack is going to go and get his thumb xrayed today to see if he has a stress fracture and I have my two tests later this week.
Faye
Old 09-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cool foggy morning here, but the sun is trying to peek through the overcast sky. It's supposed to hit 80 today, but I doubt that it will. Since it is Labor Day, it feels like it is time for the fall schedule to begin. I've noticed some trees are starting to turn colors and leaves are beginning to fall.

I have not had time to research this, but Amanda's mom is a nurse and another nurse put her onto using ionized water. You have to purchase the machine, but it is supposed to be beneficial to fighting midsection fat, free radicals (cancer), and diabetes which interested her because she is a diabetic. She told me to google it and I plan to today. You can use the acidic water for other things so it is not wasted.

"Gma" -- It has taken me awhile but I am sleeping later in the morning since I don't have to get ready for school. It's still dark at 6 so not hard to stay in bed. I agree that some of the WW food does taste pretty good. I haven't tried a lot of the snacks and desserts because it seems like one is never enough. Your potato recipe sounds delicious! I will have to try it. Bob just had his lab work done and a chat with his doctor. Of course the doctor said, "stay away from the white stuff!" Bob is not the potato fan that I am -- I could eat them for every meal. I hope Jack's thumb is better; sometimes sprains and fractures hurt worse than a clean break. I wish him luck -- keep us posted.

I'm being lazy, and need to get dressed for the day. I have laundry waiting and more pictures to sort through. Enjoy your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!