Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #31

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another cloudy cool day in my neighborhood. One thing about that is a lower electric bill because I haven't run the air nor the dehumidifier in the basement. This weather is so weird! Bob just left for the lake; he's going to dig through the shed and pitch, pitch, pitch. His mom thought there were antique tools that might be worth something, a huge brass lamp that no one wants, and broken lawn chairs that need new webbing which no stores seem to carry any more. I opted to stay home since I need to make a grocery list, hit WM, and work in my own garage.

"Gma" -- I'm sure Jack will enjoy having the father/son picture. I'm not sure about going to the lake this weekend. It is supposed to be another rainy one and I can watch it rain right here. Beth has to work on Sunday, and I think this is Amanda's weekend to work also. If it's too cold to swim the kids are at loose ends. It's even too chilly to enjoy the amusement park which is a once a summer event for the kids. Congrats on 10% of your weight being gone! You are doing great!

I need to make my list and get going. Have a super duper GREAT day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #2  

Just a quick note. For those of you who eat prepared meals, like WW, Lean Cuisine and such. I picked up a tuna noodle gratin from WW for lunch today and it is fabulous. I used to get the Stouffers regular variety of tuna noodle casserole and this is much better and only 5 pts. The only thing I would have added is some mushrooms so I may do that as I picked up an extra one since I haven't seen this particular one at the commissary. Michelina's has a "diet" variety and I get their chicken in plum sauce which is great if you like Chinese. It is my favorite type of food and I haven't had regular Chinese in weeks and weeks. I buy the WW or Lean Cuisine or whatever variety of Chinese stuff and have an egg roll, which when baked instead of deep fried is only 2 pts or I make my own fried rice using leftover chicken or pork and have an egg roll. It satisfies my yearning for my favorite food!

Gotta run. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS
It rained again last night and so it is another "muggy" day here in the heartland. I don't have anything planeed to do today yet except making a little gazebo. I am out of light fixtures and am waiting for my order of glass also. I have plenty of what I call scrap glass to make little gazebos and outhouses.

JEAN Sounds like someones treasures are someone elses junk. That happens so often. Hope Bob can get that stuff thrown out and the place neatend up. The weatherman may just give you folks a nice day to enjoy the lake one of these days.

DONNA FAYE I sure do hope and pray that Jack gets better soon. He sounds so miserable, poor guy. I do add mushrooms to that dinner. I also add more veggies to the little frozen dinners and spices also. I get Schwans egg rolls which I bake or microwave which are low in points. The chicken ones are 2 points and the pork are 3. That explains why I have a couple boxes of chicken ones in my freezer as I type. We don't have a really good Chinese restaurant here so we don't go often. When we do go to the buffet one I choose meat that is not fried and pick and choose as wisely as I can. I do love Chinese food and they sure do know how to load the calories into seemingly innocent veggies. And most of those folks are slim. I don't get it.

Gotta go now and see what I can rustle up for lunch. Type at y'all later
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #4  

Good evening, ladies. Another hot and humid day.

Day chapter quilt guild today and then lunch with the girls. Then I did some grocery shopping. Blueberries are 99 cents a pint, limit 2, so I'll be stopping every day and put some in the freezer for winter. Eastern Shore peaches are in and sweet as honey.

Faye, Jack will love the picture. What a nice reminder of a day with his son. Congratulations on reaching your 10%! That didn't take long. Keep it up. What did the doctor tell Jack?

Jean, hopefully the rain will stop and it'll get warm enough to swim soon. I don't envy Jack his de-junking job.

Maggie, you must be one of Schwans best customers! I love Chinese food, too, but usually make my own. The Chinese laugh at use for thinking we are eating Chinese food - it's Americanized. That reminds me of the time we went to a real Chinese restaurnat in Toronto Canada. The menu was in Chinese, they had nothing but chopsticks to eat with. We looked around at what other people were eating and pointed to stuff people were eating that looked good.

Tomorrow I'm going to Glory's to work on the Challenge projects and then we'll go to Ruby Tuesday - more buy one get one free coupons.

Have a good evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining but it is cool out there! Ernie likes to sit in the open window by the computer and I'm ready to put a sweater on! Bob is off showing one of his tractors to a prospective buyer. I have laundry going and need to vacuum the dust/fur critters.

"Gma" -- How did Jack make out at the doctor appt.? Since you aren't here this morning I am concerned. Thanks for the WW tuna noodle tip. The pictures always look so good, but the food doesn't always taste the best. I like Chinese food too, but can tell it's really high in salt because I am so thirsty afterwards.

Maggie -- Do you have patterns for all of your glass buildings or can you make up your own? The gazebo sounds cute.

Susan -- Have a nice day with your quilting friend. Lunch out . . . YUM!

The dryer is buzzing so need to fold towels and start on the next load. Have a GREAT day . . . the choice is yours!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely day here in the heartland. Not windy and the puffy white clouds are floating on a blue sky. Life is good. Weigh day here and I maintained. Not much happening here this day except we are getting dish installed. It is actually a better deal than we have right now. Better stuff for less do re me. I don't much care one way or the other since I don't watch it much but Will loves his baseball and can see more games this way.

JEAN We are still looking fora kitty for Ragg Mopp. When they are on TV he goes right up to the screen and puts his paws on he table and watches them. I make up some of my own patterns and get some out of books. Depends. Sometimes I have to rework the book patterns to really make them fit.

SUSAN We do buy a lot from Schwans. Our man comes every other week and we always get something. I love their little packets of fruit for smoothies. Plus they do have frozen fruit all year long so I can have fruit when I want that way. It is so much better than the kind they get shipped in here. Some things have to be picked vine ripened and that poses a problem when things have to be shipped. Our garden is growing up nicely. The corn is jumping out of the ground and will be well over knee high come the 4th of July. I eat with chopsticks quite often, even for non Chinese food. Makes my food last longer that way. Will bought me the cutest bamboo deep bowl that works perfectly for using chop sticks with. It came with it's own little bamboo plate and a set of chop sticks. I have a set of ivory sticks I use though.

DONNA FAYE Where are you dear friend? Hope all is well with you and you just forgot to post. We get used to you opening the day for us and then when you don't we wonder.

Have a wonderful weekend y'all.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-13-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #7  

Good evening, ladies. It was hot and humid this morning, then we had rain around noon, and now it is nice in the low 80s.

Glory and I worked on our Challenge projects and then had a very late lunch at Ruby Tuesday. We're going to work on them some more tomorrow after church.

I hope everything is okay with Jack. Worries me that he was sick and Faye hasn't posted. Maybe she has caught his germs and is down herself.

Jean, let me know how you like the dish. I'm beginning to hate cable. It keeps getting more and more expensive.

Maggie, hope you find Ragg Mopp a kitty soon. Cupid is a one animal per household cat. He goes crazy if he sees an animal in his yard.

Time to ride my bike and work of lunch - have a good night.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I feel the day should be almost over since church is only one service, at 9:30, in the summer. Today was our associate pastor's last Sunday so the church was full and folding chairs were needed. Bob thinks the pews hold close to 500 alone. The service was extra long with communion and a baptism. I'm sorry but I thought the baptism was a bit inappropriate for today. I'm assuming she was a single mother (white) because of her last name, and the child was a little 2 year old girl (Mexican with a Mexican name) -- no sperm donor in sight and no mention where he might be (sick in the hospital, military, jail, Mexico, ???). She had 2 females (white) stand up with her as witnesses -- one very pregnant but dressed in a nice dress while the other looked like she had just rolled out of bed and wore a spaghetti strap top that was miles too big for her. Anyhow, there was a brunch afterwards along with the usual speeches etc., etc.

Bob just left for the lake to fertilize the yard and water it since there is no rain in the forecast for this week. Not long after he left a client called with accident questions so I had to call him on his cell phone to return that call. That is par for the course when he leaves without me. I'm supposed to be in the garage working on a box of junk . . . later.

Maggie -- Congrats on the maintain! You are taking it slow and easy which is the best way. I hope you enjoy have the dish setup -- can you get local channels or do you have to do something extra to get those. Around here people had to use their antennas for local programs; now that digital is here I don't know what they have to do. I keep telling Bob we should get a dog for Ernie. He just shakes his head "no" and says Ernie enjoys being an "only."

Susan -- Maggie got the dish, not me. We have our cable, phone, and internet all with one company. There is no long distance phone charges no matter where we call or what time of the day. I don't make that many long distance calls but it is a nice feature. They also offer caller ID, call forwarding, call waiting, and voice messaging as part of the package. We have the caller ID, but passed on the rest. Enjoy your quilting time today. Are you making a whole quilt or just quilt blocks for a bigger quilt?

"Gma" -- WHHEEERRRREEEEE are you? We are worried about you and Jack!

I'm off to attack the box in the garage! Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We had a lot of thunder and lightening and rain last night. Ragg Mopp does not like that thunder but has at least figured out barking does not do a bit of good to make it go away. He snuggles up close for security. We have decided to not get that dish deal afterall. It ends up that it will cost more and we won't watch the extra channels anyway. Our cable hasn't gone up here so in the meantime we will stay with it for we do get what we want to see as it is. We do want to get a movie player that will record our favorite programs when we aren't going to be here though. If in fact we really want to record anything. However, we would like the player to watch some of our movies on our big TV screen. Right now we watch what we want on my computer which has a wondrful program that plays them quite nicely but our easy chairs are out in the front room.

OOps gotta go ~ got folks at the door. Type at y'all later. DONNA FAYE where art thou?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #10  

Good afternoon ladies. You poor dears worried so much about us and it is a longgggggg story so here goes. First off, they told Jack he has a virus that is going around so they gave him nothing. She must have been a real idiot because she didn't listen to his chest, barely glanced at his throat and nothing else. He came home and started taking Nyquil and spraying his sore throat with Cloraseptic since he felt a soreness like a swollen gland on one side. He is doing much better and will be going back to work tomorrow. He says no more sore throat and he went grocery shopping with me today. He is not coughing much and has been blowing out most of the stuff.

Here goes...a very bad thunderstorm came through here with 2 tornados on Friday afternoon. One of the tornadoes hit in Kelly's area only about a few blocks from her house but all is well with them and Thomas got back home from DC safe and sound on Friday. We lost power about 4:45 PM. It has been 75% humidity and in the 90's here. We were without power until around 10 AM on Saturday, but our internet would not work and calling said they had a cable down so I couldn't post. Around 7 PM on Saturday we lost power AGAIN and were without power until 2:30 AM on Sunday morning. It was absolutely stifling here and I was lucky enough to hunt up enough candles and a flashlight for us to see as it was pitch black in the whole neighborhood. We went out Friday night for a ride with Fortune and got a snack at Sonic (within points) and came home and tried to sleep on and off, me in the chair and him coughing his head off on the couch. Because he was afraid to leave the back door open with us both asleep (it got up to around 85 in the house and the upstairs was worse,) we took turns sleeping on Friday night. What a wild ride that was. Our newest neighbors were standing out on their deck smoking and talking on the phone calling whomever they were on the phone, n word this and n word that and f this and f that, but it was too hot to close the door. I didn't even have a battery radio I could crank up to counteract it all. We were thrilled to have power by 11 am on Saturday, but were too exhausted to go to the commissary and good thing we didn't since the power again went out on Saturday. Saturday morning while the power was still off we went and got a huge ice chest, 20 lbs of dry ice and 20 lbs of regular ice and took all out of the fridge and freezer to try and save it. The only thing we lost was WW and Skinny Cow ice cream we had bought earlier on Friday to the tune of $15 and we went back today to get the strawberry skinny cows sandwiches replaced and they were all out. We tried numerous times to get online but everytime we called it said they had a cable down. To make a long story short, come to find out from calling a bazillion times today, they had been doing maintenance and screwed it up and then the storm knocking out everything here screwed up the modem so we had to get them to help us reset that. Jack wrote down the isp address so from now on we can reset it on our own. On top of all that, I got up this morning tried to log on and couldn't and found out we had no PHONES! We were without phones for about 5 hours today. Thank goodness for cell phones! Jack was having to manually open up the garage door everytime we wanted to leave so on Saturday night when the power didn't come back on by 11 PM he said we would just leave it out and hope for the best. Well, in rolled another storm with hail this morning around 6 am so when I heard that on the tv and Jack was dead to the world in bed upstairs, I went running out in my gown and got soaked putting the car back in the garage so it wouldn't get damaged if our area had hail. It has all moved through now and it is very hot, steamy, and sunny this afternoon.

Last funny note, we went the commissary, which is about 25 miles away from the house. The area they are in, got hit too, but though it was cloudy, not evenr raining when we got there. We were about halfway done shopping and the power went out in the store!!! I had to go to the bathroom so bad I couldn't stand it and it was pitch black in the bathrooms so one of the checkers stood with the door open and let in enough light for me to see to get to the toilet so I could go. They finally got it back on and we finished amid 2 more on and offs of about 3-5 minutes. I am done with power outages.

Best news of the day though is this, I lost SEVEN lbs this week! Jack is now down 13 and back in jeans he hasn't been able to wear in a long long time. I have now lost 23 1/2 lbs in 6 weeks and there is no stopping me!

I will post personal replies tomorrow. Just wanted you all to know we are alive well and doing fine!
Faye
Old 06-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #11  

Good evening, ladies. Nice day today in the low 80s, rain during the night and expected again tonight, tomorrow and Tuesday. I now live on a lake.

Glory didn't feel well today (Miener's Disease) so I didn't go to work on my project. Went to Mass this morning, Corpus Christi Sunday, so we were there for 1-1/2 hours. We had a procession around the outside of the church and lots of incense that about killed me. I should have left when that started but God saw me though with a few hits from my rescue inhaler.

Jean, at our Church we don't turn away anyone or judge them, even if they aren't married. We welcome and help them because our Bible tells us to. I don't care for people wearing shorts to church, but Father says they are probably on vacation and be glad they didn't skip Mass. I have unlimited long distance and use it about 4 times a year. I'm thinking of dropping it and using my cell phone for those calls. They have the nerve to charge $1 a month if you don't have long distance!

Maggie, I still have the lost/abandoned kitty coming running and meowing every time I drive in or open the door. Cupid throws a fit and throws himself against the door. I wish he'd let me take her in but I know he is an "only." I don't know what to do about the kitty. If I call the Animal Control, it's like a death sentence. I wish someone else would adopt her. We have this happen because of all the military in the area. They get transferred overseas and can't take the animals and instead of finding them homes, they are abandoned. There's a big colony of ferral cats in the wetlands.

Faye, I'm so glad to here from you! Sorry about the storms and power outages. Its hurricane season now so I have food that doesn't need to be cooked, a can opener, bottled water, candles, batteries, my battery operated radio that has a crank so if the battery gives out you can recharge it, a couple of paperbacks and a battery operated CD/Tape player in a big Rubbermaid tub. I keep several gallon jugs around and if a hurricane or bad storm is predicted, I fill them and put them in my big freezer. They sent us lists of what we are to have at the beginning of the season (June 1 - November 15).

Well, time for some tv and then I have to get ready for work tomorrow. Have a good night.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #12  

Just peeking in before I head off to bed.

Maggie -- Our tornado siren is tested every Saturday at noon, unless the weather is questionable. Ernie doesn't like that at all; it must hurt his ears because it is about a half block away. He doesn't seem to mind the thunder and lightning. Maybe dogs are more sensitive to storms.

"Gma" -- I am so glad to see your post tonight, and to know that you both are safe, and Jack is feeling better! I hate it when the power is off and the weather is either below 0 or hot and humid. It sounds like you have some riff raff for neighbors again. CONGRATS to you both for your great losses!

Susan -- I'm sorry you had the incense challenge at church today. I remember going to a Catholic funeral years ago and a child sitting behind us kept asking his mother, "who made the stink?" Our church welcomes everyone also, but we are known for giving free handouts and there is always a request for contributing to the Friendship Fund because it runs out quickly. None of the regulars sitting around us knew who the baptizing group was so assume they either attend on Saturday night or not at all. I just thought that with everything else today we didn't need to add that to the mix. I hope that someone will adopt the stray cat too! All of our strays seem to have disappeared so I brought the food and water dish in. The birds were eating the catfood and Ernie was trying to get through the screen after them.

Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow! I have a doctor's appt. for my knee which is feeling better tonight. Go figure! I'm going to bed!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies! It is going to be a cooker again today here. We talked to Jay last night and they had a grand time in DC. We got some laughs at some of Thomas and Jackson's shenanigans. Thomas got to go with his uncle alone to some things and I am sure he enjoyed that. Jay is a lot of fun and Thomas is such a great kid. Jay said they had no problems with him at all. I guess they went to some space museum where you could weigh yourself and see how much you weighed on other planets, etc. I guess they weighed Jackson and he is now 37 lbs at 2 years old and they weighed Thomas and he is 62 lbs at 9 years old. Jay laughed and said it was no wonder Jackson could tussle with Thomas and not get hurt he weighed half what T weighed! I guess he loves his ATV but is almost too big for it. Jay said he really can't ride it with shoes as his feet are too big for the foot area with shoes on lol! It is supposed to be for kids up to three and 40 lbs but Jay says he isn't going to make it to three.

Maggie: I was perusing the recipe thread and saw mexican pasta salad. It has no pasta, is that correct and just sort of a misnomer? Thanks for all the great recipes. I need to start printing them off and post some myself. I am just lazy typing it all out.

Susan: Gosh I bet it was miserable for you with the combo of the walking and incense. Though Christ sent us into the world to preach the gospel, the rest of the verse says "to ALL people." I feel marital status, sexual preference, etc, though we can highly disagree with, should not have anything to do with people being welcome in a church. Our job is not to judge. God is judge. Now, I do have strong feelings about pastors, lay officials and sunday school teachers being unmarried and having a live in or being homosexual because I feel he or she is in a position of authority and therefore should be an example and the Bible teaches us about fornication, adultery and homosexuality, but that is where the line should be drawn. Heck in this day and age you are lucky to get people to walk past the door of a church.

Jean: Poor Ernie would have gone nuts here on Friday as we had 3 go off continually for a couple hours. I have a dr appt on Tuesday for my peeling hands, which have improved greatly though my feet look like I am molting, and to get new bp meds for the year and get my female stuff done for the year. I told Jack he could have dinner without me if he wished since my appt isn't until 3 pm and who knows how long it will take.

My blanket is coming right along. I am knitting it in a trellis pattern and though fairly easy to do as long as you pay attention, it looks lovely. I have one side of the pillow about halfway done, Jackson's stocking cap finished and all but one sleeve knitted. I put it aside as I have to have the blanket and pillow done for a Sept wedding and the two sweaters are for the boys for Christmas.

Well, the washer just finished and I need to get some breakfast. It is fresh canteloupe and a piece of toast for me washed down with a vitamin and bp meds chaser! Have a grand start to your week!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 06-15-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is dark and gloomy in my neighborhood this morning, and has started to rain. Yesterday the weatherman said, "no rain in sight for this coming week." Guess he was looking at the wrong information. The dishwasher is running and I am dressed. Time to head out to the garage and work on some more boxes. Today is recycle day and we have more than usual. Bob brought another pickup load home from the lake yesterday.

"Gma" -- Jackson is a big boy! I'm glad he has such a good time with Thomas and that the DC trip went well. Maddy only weighs 38#s and she will be 6 in August. She is going to be the slim, trim one in the bunch I think. Kolby isn't tall, but he is solid. Ian and Zowie are both brick solid and are tall. I just read an article about taking bp meds with or w/o food. According to the person (licensed something or other) meds work faster on an empty stomach unless specifically to be taken with food. I usually split mine -- bp before breakfast and vitamins after. I hope the doctor has some answers for your hands and feet. My fingers still peel once in awhile but my feet never have. Your knitting projects are coming right along. The trellis pattern sounds very pretty.

Hope you all have a great day! I'm off to the garage!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #15  

Good morning, ladies! More rain.

Faye, Sounds like Jackson will be going out for football. Is he tall? I'm glad Jackson and Thomas got to spend time together. I hope the doctor can help your peeling skin.

Jean, how's the garage coming? Bet you find things you didn't know you had.

Maggie, Jean and I are going to send you some of this rain. We share with everyone.

Tonight is applique bee. Did I ever tell you our name? It's Ladies of the Evening and we have a Madam instead of a President. A fun-loving bunch of ladies (we did have a man but he has moved to Vermont).

Have a good day!