Calling All Teachers! School's Out, Weight Loss is In!

You're on Page 1 of 9
Go to
  • Anyone else out there vow to loose weight this summer??

As teachers, we are privileged enough to have a much needed summer break from our career that we use to refocus our minds, breathe some fresh air, and enjoy the sanity that comes with the absence of a classroom. Every summer I promise myself that "THIS will be the summer of change!"...and nothing happens...sad but true.

As we have all made those vows at some time or another, I'm curious if there are any fellow educators that will join me this summer to finally start fulfilling their summer dream of a healthy lifestyle! Why throw these 2 and a half months away, no other career offers such a fresh start to life!

On that note, if you're with me, post some info about yourself! We can all do this together! I'll start:

Hey! My name is Tina and I'm a 27 year old music teacher at an elementary school in Indiana. I've been teacher for 4 years and feel like I might finally be getting the hang of things. I've been married 2 years in July, and have two adorable, bratty, spoiled-rotten kitties, Charlie and Sammie. No kids yet, but we plan on have some in the future. In my free time I enjoy scrapbooking, hanging out with friends, and going to the movies. Anything else you'd like to know? Post or PM me!

Lets go! Teachers Unite!

***************Summer Weight Loss Challenge!**********************

Goal: Everyone loose a combined 100 lbs!

Starting Weights/Current Weights
    :

TinaTiny82: 171/168.5
    Hello Nurse: 276.6/267
    Skinnycow: 247/224
    leigh: 222.4/220
    TamiL: 136/127
    Bayleysmom: 153/147
    sukierd:175/162

• I just finished the year from h-e-double-hockey-sticks, so I have never been so glad to see a summer!

I'm Jennelle. I'm an English teacher and just finished my 8th year. I've taught every grade from 4-12; I just finished two years at a tiny (175 students in grades 9-12) rural high school teaching all levels of English.

I've lost 32 lbs. since January and have 20 more to go to reach my end-of-the year goal. My summer goal is exercise! I have a gym membership but honestly cannot remember the last time I went!
  • Quote: I just finished the year from h-e-double-hockey-sticks, so I have never been so glad to see a summer!

I'm Jennelle. I'm an English teacher and just finished my 8th year. I've taught every grade from 4-12; I just finished two years at a tiny (175 students in grades 9-12) rural high school teaching all levels of English.

I've lost 32 lbs. since January and have 20 more to go to reach my end-of-the year goal. My summer goal is exercise! I have a gym membership but honestly cannot remember the last time I went!
    Hey Jenelle! Welcome!

This year seemed so rushed for me...it's like, I thought I had everything planned ahead of time but I would forget the small stuff and have to backtrack to catch up! I still have a week and 3 days left (making up snow days) but my summer goal is to use my gym membership too, and try to eat out less. I'm trying the Sonoma Diet and so far I love it! I'm just trying out the recipes now, but I think once schools out and I have more time to cook I'll try it full force.

I only recently (a week ago) joined this site, so I've only lost 3 lbs., but it's a start!!
  • So, it's Sunday...I always have a hard time exercising on Sunday! In fact, I don't remember when I EVER exercised on Sundays. Usually, I like to take a big nap and watch movies all day. Since it's extremely hot out, I think I may just use my new exercise bike (borrowed from a friend for a couple months!) and play some DDR. Good luck everyone!
  • As a teacher in the UK, let me tell you you're really lucky to have such a long summer to concentrate on your weight loss! We've still got nearly two months of school before the holidays begin!
    Might as well join in though! I'm 25, have been teaching at high school for two years and love it! Have A LOT of weight to lose but have lost a stone since Christmas so hopefully it'll keep on going! Oh, and I'm getting married August 19th so would really like to have lost another couple of pounds before then! x
  • Quote: As a teacher in the UK, let me tell you you're really lucky to have such a long summer to concentrate on your weight loss! We've still got nearly two months of school before the holidays begin!
    Might as well join in though! I'm 25, have been teaching at high school for two years and love it! Have A LOT of weight to lose but have lost a stone since Christmas so hopefully it'll keep on going! Oh, and I'm getting married August 19th so would really like to have lost another couple of pounds before then! x
    Wow, really?? Our school year goes August 15th-June 2nd this year. What is your schedule like?

It's so great to meet you, LoverlyGal! I'm so proud of your weight loss so far, it's really encouraging! Congrats on the wedding, I ended up loosing 17 lbs. for mine 2 years ago and got down to 140. Unfortunately, I let poor eating habits take over due to stress and put on 35 lbs. since then. It would be awesome if your hubby agreed with your new healthy lifestyle! Mine is slowly coming around to diet and exercise and it's actually really fun pushing each other to do better!

On another note to all, I would just like to say.....

I EXERCISED ON MEMORIAL DAY! I could have slept in on my day off and done nothing, but instead, I woke up and went straight to the gym. One small victory for me, wahoo! Anyone else do the deed?
  • Today I just wanted to quit. Quit exercising, quit trying to eat right, quit it all. I've only lost 4 lbs. in one month, but I know why...I'm not consistent!!! I need to keep a tight schedule and stick to it. Diet is key, I'll just have to keep trying.
  • Would you mind if a school nurse joined in?

If not, here's my bio. I am the school nurse at an elem in North Texas. I have been there for 1 1/2 years. I am 31, married with no kids, but we do have 4 horses, 3 dogs, and 4 cats if that counts as kids!

We get out June 5, but I am working summer school until July 1. It is only 8-12 though, so no excuses for not getting moving!

Hang in there, TinaTiny82, 1 lb per week is not bad at all! Let's dig in and keep going and just wait until our co-workers see us in the fall!
  • Quote: Would you mind if a school nurse joined in?

If not, here's my bio. I am the school nurse at an elem in North Texas. I have been there for 1 1/2 years. I am 31, married with no kids, but we do have 4 horses, 3 dogs, and 4 cats if that counts as kids!

We get out June 5, but I am working summer school until July 1. It is only 8-12 though, so no excuses for not getting moving!

Hang in there, TinaTiny82, 1 lb per week is not bad at all! Let's dig in and keep going and just wait until our co-workers see us in the fall!
    Hey there! Of course you can join Hello Nurse! We couldn't have schools without you, haha.

Wow! That's a lot of pets! And yes, they count as kids I would be devastated if my cats weren't home with me. But 4??? I've had 3 before, but 4 just sounds like a handful! Are they all indoors? Horses are so beautiful, you must have some land out in Texas? And 3 dogs, what kind?

Ya, thanks for the encouragement. Yesterday I just felt awful but I'm doing better this morning. I'm leaving to go to the gym in a few and have healthy eating planned out for the day. That always helps, Saturdays get me to refocus. That wasn't always the case, but it seems to work for me now.

Yes! Co-workers seeing us in the fall...good inspiration! If I could loose 20-25lbs. this summer I would be ecstatic. However, any weight loss will make me happy, as long as it's consistent and I don't gain! Even staying the same one week would be ok. Good luck, and thanks for stopping by!
  • Hi! Is it too late to join? I'll be teaching summer school again this year but I'll still have a lot more free time than during the rest of the year. My goal is to at least get to ONEderland by Labor Day.
  • I'm Corrie. I teach kindergarten at a very tiny school (about 30 students from k - 12th). I just finished my 2nd year of teaching. I've worked at summer camps the past few summers and am really looking forward to having this summer off. I've lost about 22 lbs. since the end of March doing WeightWatchers at Home. I'm planning to do the c25k this summer. I'd really like to lose about 30 lbs. before school starts again in September.
  • Quote: Hi! Is it too late to join? I'll be teaching summer school again this year but I'll still have a lot more free time than during the rest of the year. My goal is to at least get to ONEderland by Labor Day.
    Of course you can join! Welcome, leigh! Keep working towards your goal and be sure to post updates of your progress. Are you doing any type of special diet program or weight loss routine?

Quote: I'm Corrie. I teach kindergarten at a very tiny school (about 30 students from k - 12th). I just finished my 2nd year of teaching. I've worked at summer camps the past few summers and am really looking forward to having this summer off. I've lost about 22 lbs. since the end of March doing WeightWatchers at Home. I'm planning to do the c25k this summer. I'd really like to lose about 30 lbs. before school starts again in September.
    Yay for more people! Welcome, Skinnycow! Congrats on the weight loss so fat, keep working at it! What is the c25k? Is it a marathon of some sorts? Are you working out a certain way? 30lbs. would be a great summer goal! Tough, but challenges are good, haha. At this moment I'll be happy with 20-25lbs. gone, but I've never lost that much weight before. Good luck, keep us posted!

Hey all! Maybe we could put together some kind of group goal of lbs. lost and keep a ticker in the post? Maybe, 100lbs. lost for everyone in the thread Starting June 1st? What do you think?
  • Good morning everyone!

TinaTiny, all the cats are indoor, but they are pretty laid back so it usually does not get too hectic! We did have only 3 but our barn cat got sick and had to come home for a while, and she decided she liked the couch All the dogs are mutts, and they stay inside too unless we are home. Two are older and really laid back, and one is just a year so he still gets hyper at times! We keep the horses at a stable about 5 minutes from the house, but we are looking at buying land as we speak! Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to keeping up with y'all!

Leigh, ONEderland, how exciting! I am sure you can reach that goal here with us cheering you on!

Skinnycow, (love that username BTW), that is a really small school! I bet it is nice to know all the kids so well though. I am doing WW at home too, just started this week. I ate all my weekly points yesterday and ended up eating double my daily points, but at least I did not go over the daily + weekly. I just have to stay within my daily points now for the ENTIRE week since I weigh on Saturdays! That may not have been a very good plan!

Have a good Sunday everyone!
  • Quote: Of course you can join! Welcome, leigh! Keep working towards your goal and be sure to post updates of your progress. Are you doing any type of special diet program or weight loss routine?
    Thanks, TinaTiny! I'm not counting calories (yet), just watching what I eat. I started off doing Couch to 5K for exercise but couldn't really get into it. I want to give C25K another try this summer, but for now I'm doing Turbo Jam on a daily basis. I love it, and it seems to be working...I lost 2.4 pounds this week.

Congrats to EVERYONE on your progress so far! I am looking forward to getting fit with some fellow fabulous teachers.

P.S. I think having a group goal and ticker would be very motivational.
  • Quote: TinaTiny, all the cats are indoor, but they are pretty laid back so it usually does not get too hectic! We did have only 3 but our barn cat got sick and had to come home for a while, and she decided she liked the couch All the dogs are mutts, and they stay inside too unless we are home. Two are older and really laid back, and one is just a year so he still gets hyper at times! We keep the horses at a stable about 5 minutes from the house, but we are looking at buying land as we speak!
    Oh my goodness! You practically have your own zoo, haha. I'm glad it all works out for you though. I'm the kind who'll take in strays if they look at me sad enough. Fortunately, my husband is more level headed!!

Quote: I am doing WW at home too, just started this week. I ate all my weekly points yesterday and ended up eating double my daily points, but at least I did not go over the daily + weekly. I just have to stay within my daily points now for the ENTIRE week since I weigh on Saturdays! That may not have been a very good plan!
    I've never tried WW but some other teachers at my school are and have had pretty good results. I don't know anything about weekly or daily points but hang in there, you can do it! My splurge was a small french fry from Penn Station yesterday...Gotta eat good today!!

Quote: I'm not counting calories (yet), just watching what I eat. I started off doing Couch to 5K for exercise but couldn't really get into it. I want to give C25K another try this summer, but for now I'm doing Turbo Jam on a daily basis. I love it, and it seems to be working...I lost 2.4 pounds this week.
    That's great! 2.4lbs! I need to get a good scale...maybe later this week. I'm not really following a certain fitness plan, but I'm trying to do an hour of cardio a day (30 on a bike, 30 on elliptical) and weights Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. However, I only know the upper body lifting that my husband has taught me (yesterday!) and I'd like to do some leg work as well.

As far as eating, I'm loosely following the Sonoma Diet/Mediterranean Diet. The recipes I've tried are overall very tasty, I just have to find some main dish recipes I like. Their veggie and carb dishes are amazing! Plus, it actually tastes good, so it doesn't feel too much like a diet.

Do you think 100lbs for our group is too high of a goal? I guess we'll have to wait and see who's in. so far it's me and leigh. Who else wants in?