Old 11-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #65

Good evening, ladies! It's been cold today - It was 28 when I got up and never got out of the 30s. Tomorrow is rain mixed with snow in the forecast.

Yesterday I cleaned my sewing machine and couldn't get the bobbin case back in so had to take it to be repaired - thank goodness I have my Featherweight so I can keep on sewing. Deadlines looming for December 5 - I do my best work when I get close to the deadline. LOL I always say I'm going to get an earlier start on these challenges but end up procrastinating because I'm not so interested as I was at the beginning.

Faye, you can expect more questions like that under Obama Care. Next year doctors are going to have to counsel and follow up with over weight patients so the government will be poking its nose into all aspects of our health. It's disgusting.

Jean, we had a pancake breakfast at church yesterday. The youth put it on to fund their mission trips in the summer. It seems like this year is racing to the end. December 8 will be the shortest day of the year.

Maggie, thanks for the rub recipe. I made up a batch so will use it soon.

Have a wonderful evening - bedtime for me!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all! It is cold and rainy here though the rain has finally stopped. We aren't going to get into normal temps until at least the weekend.

We don't seem to get a break. I went to unload the dishwasher and found the dishes all still dirty and the dishwasher cleaner sitting whole in the bottom of the dishwasher. I set it up to run again and noticed it was making a different noise so went out and opened it and it was totally dry, no water at all. I had to hand wash all the dishes plus the morning ones. Ahh well. I will just wash dishes for awhile unless Jack can see what is wrong. He doesn't do plumbing though and I am dealing with buying new appliances during this time of year.

Today is cleaning the bathrooms upstairs so will be heading up there in a bit. I have the downstairs cleaned except for the dusting and will do that sometime today.

I have started my sweater over and hopefully it will fit next year. I made it two sizes smaller so hopefully that is enough. It took me forever to unravel the darn thing!

I am very encouraged about the diabetes as my blood glucose was 99 this morning so it has come down every day. They are supposed to call and check on me, but they didn't yesterday. I need to talk to them about whether they really think I should up the oral meds since I am already in the normal range. Since I am coming pts with the exchanges, I should be right on to stay within my calorie count but still eat a balanced diet.

Susan: Frankly, I am sick and tired of being told what to do in all aspects of our life. Government agencies are telling you what to do all over the place. Our founding fathers would be so appalled at what has happened to all the work to make us free. You couple that with them cutting the defense budget all the time and expecting men to die for us without proper equipment just frost my sugar free cookies!

I got Thomas's Christmas list last night so will be ordering all of his stuff tomorrow. He gets a lot less than Jackson because his gifts are a lot more expensive per gift. He wants a lot of running and biking stuff. I hate they are growing up. I bet you all remember when he was itty bitty and here he is in 8th grade and 13 1/2 already. I told Jack I can't stand the idea of him going to high school next year!

You all have a nice day. I am out to the kitchen to finish washing the dishes. I have to do them in groups as I don't have enough counter space to put them on towels to dry so I did all the bowls, glasses, cups and silverware first and now will put that all away and do the dishes and pots and pans and such. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! Raining and 47 degrees so at least it's warmer.

Have you ever wondered if the Biggest Loser contestants keep it off for long? Sunday at 10 pm Oprah is doing a show about them. It's on OWN. I'm really curious.

Nothing new to report, but could you all please send me your home address. I lost them when my old computer died. I'm backing up to the cloud now so that shouldn't happen again.

There is a holiday challenge at the gym and I signed up for it. It starts today and runs through January 8. We all put $10 into the pot and weigh in. If we don't gain weight, we get our 10 back. If we lose weight, we get our $10 + a share of the pot of those who forfeit because the gain. I'm cheap - I'll lose something just to get as much back as I can. A good incentive for watching during the holidays.

Faye, I'm with you on the government sticking its nose into our lives. I saw in the paper yesterday that closing all the US commissaries is being considered to save money. Glory is a widow and TriCare for life is almost a joke for her. It pays after Medicare and her supplement so she gets almost nothing from them. Sorry about the dishwasher at this busy time of year! I run mine about once a week, just rinsing in between. I almost think I don't even need to spend the money to replace it when it dies. But I will because I hate washing dishes. I'm still a kid at heart in that I don't mind washing them at someone else's house. I'm glad you are responding to the meds. I sure wouldn't increase without talking to them first. It's good you have your exchange diet in place.

Hi, Maggie and Jean!

Enjoy your day.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 11-26-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD NOVEMBER AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

We got a good surprise Sunday night at Applebee’s ~ The manager came to our table and asked what we were doing for Thanksgiving and we told her we were doing it at home. She said then “Please come to our house for several members of our family will be there and you two would fit right in with the fun we have.” Then later her husband came in and came over to our table and said he was so happy that his wife had invited us for Thanksgiving. What a surprise we had to get that invitation and of course we accepted graciously. We went by yesterday during our drive about to make sure we knew which house they live in out in the country. I think I will give her one of my glass houses as a hostess gift since it is “tradition” to give a gift the first time an invitation is given and accepted for a meal and get-together. I can give her one out of my village pieces and replace it by building one like it later on for I don’t feel like building one before Thanksgiving. I usually keep one on hand for such occasions but didn’t replace the last one I gave away out of my “to give” box.

I get so many catalogues in the mail this time of the year from places I didn’t know existed. I try to stay ahead of the stack and look through them then toss the ones I don’t want to order something from. I have my office trash can filled up to overflowing now ready to be dumped and taken out to the barrel outside the back fence. Will has it fixed up where he can reach over the fence to remove the lid of the container and then dump the bag in and not have to go out the gate and walk clear down the alley to where the pickup station is. A different company picks up the church trash and we can also put trash in them if we have that much to be taken away.

I think I will make a pot of chicken noodle soup this afternoon. This weather calls for it and it is so yummy. I have some Schwans® cubed chicken breast meat which works great in the soup. I cut up carets, celery and onions and sauté them with some “I can’t Believe It’s Not Butter.” Then put them in the pot with some chicken broth and cubed chicken and spices that go well with chicken. I always make enough to freeze some for the noodles freeze so well. I will check in my freezer before I make any today to see if there is any in there from the last batch which should be used first.

SUSAN Thanks for giving us a fresh thread. I think you will really like that rub. I just mixed up a whole new batch myself and will use it on that turkey breast when we decide to have it since I won't be cooking a Thanksgiving dinner here at home this year. Turkey will be good later on in the year. I use that rum on a wide range of meats. I just know you will do well on that challenge at the gym. You go girlfriend.

DONNA FAYE Since I don't run the dish washer every day I do rinse the things well before putting them in it. That way if the dish washer ever goes bonkers they won't be hard to wash. This dish washer is fairly new and we haven't had any problems with it so far. The last one washed the dishes but leaked on the floor causing the tile close to the edge to be a bit discolored. I would rather one quit like yours did than leak all over the place. We have not been asked those intrusive questions by our doctors but maybe it is coming but you can rest assured I won't answer those types of invasive questions. My doctor wants to see me every 6 months and I told her once a year was enough and she said OK. I need to see her once a year to get my perscriptions renewed.

Have a great day my friend.
Always remember ~ A setback is only a setup for a comeback.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's cold outside! I spent the morning doing laundry and getting a veggie tray ready for Bob's office "going away" lunch for one of the gals. He was out and about running an errand for his tractor repairs so I took the tray to the office and they invited me to stay for lunch. I know all of them so it was nice to be included. We are leaving in an hour for Sioux City and the "holiday" program for Maddy and Kolby this evening. It's in the auditorium where Jason and I graduated from college so it will be fun to see the new remodeling they have done. (Bob had the fun of graduating in a rose garden park where we got engaged.)

"Gma" -- I'm sure you will enjoy making your sweater smaller and hopefully will have enough yarn to do so. I sent an email to Ziploc baggies complaining how the sandwich size is hard to seal, and almost impossible to reseal if it's been in the refrigerator. They answered saying they were sorry I had trouble with the seal and a few days later I got several coupons in the mail for free baggies. Years ago when I had my toe surgery the pre-op nurse asked me if I felt safe at home. I must have looked kind of befuddled because she started to explain what she meant by the question. I felt like telling her it was none of her business. I'm so glad the meds are working for you! Hopefully the dishwasher will be a simple fix, and a cheap one.

Susan -- Thanks for starting the new thread! I am sure you are missing your sewing machine until it can be fixed; soon I hope. Why is Dec. 8th the shortest day? I always thought it was the first day of winter. The holiday weight challenge will be good to keep you on the straight and narrow foodwise. You do so well anyway! I will send you my address.

Maggie -- How nice to get the Thanksgiving invitation! I'm sure the hostess will love the glass building and especially so since you made it. Today definitely feels like a soup kind of day around here! I need to sort through my pile of catalogs and pitch, pitch, pitch! I rarely order anything but always like to see what I might be missing out on.

I need to change clothes and be ready to go when Bob hits the door. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #6  

Good morning gals! Good news on the diabetic front. Because my levels have been even so soon, she backed me off to a lower insulin injection! She did say to continue on the scheduled increase on the orals though. She said it is unusual for someone to be in the normal range so quickly. I told her that I was convinced my diabetic problem was those darn pills. Anyway, I forgot my oral med yesterday, actually forgot all my meds until the afternoon as I have a 7 day pill container and I needed to make the meds again and got distracted over the dishwasher and forgot all about it. Even without the oral meds my blood sugar was 98 this morning.

I am freezing sitting here next to the window at the computer. I have been here for almost 2 hours because I ordered Thomas's Christmas presents and then got an email from the place I buy my beads and bracelet stuff from. Having a huge black Friday sale so you know me, I couldn't resist peeking and ended up buying beads and a snake chain bracelet to put them on. I decided to make an overall holiday bracelet. I got charms for Christmas, Thanksgiving, St Patty's Day, Fourth of July, Easter, vacation and birthday. I bought these aluminum beads in a bunch of different colors and 3 glass crystal beads. I got the whole thing with my rewards discount for $20!! The charms are metal but have color on them so I wanted a variety of color on the aluminum beads too. It will be fun to put together and wear over the holidays.

Thomas wanted all running and biking stuff this year so I bought him bike shoes and pedals, these spandex type running shorts (they are for people who run and do triathlons, which I suspect T is gearing up for,) what is called a bib folio. It is this ringed folio that has his name on the front and he puts all his entrance bibs from the different races on the rings and it sits on his desk. It is pretty cool. I also bought him an expensive pair of ear buds that are water and sweat resistant so he can listen to music and such as he runs. So with that being said, I AM DONE CHRISTMAS SHOPPING FOR THIS YEAR!!!!! We were supposed to decide on doing homemade gifts for the adults, but it never got organized. Maybe we can do it nest year.

The kids will be here a week from today so that is exciting. Haven't seen them since Jackson's bday in June. We are going with Kel and family to a buffet tomorrow for lunch then back to her house for games so that should be fun. Jack will probably get to come home early today as they usually get half day off before the holiday.

Please keep on praying for his promotion. He said the plant manager told him in secret that he has been certified for the next phase and not many even applied, which is good. On top of that, looks like the interview phase will be next week or the week after and then they will make a decision. Jack has more supervisory experience than anyone he can think of that might have applied and he has been studying up on what he would probably be questioned about so hopefully it will come to fruition. If not, no biggy but it sure would be nice if he could get a desk job. His left knee would thank him for sure.

Jean: Oh what fun! I, of course didn't get to go to Jackson's which I guess was night before last or day before last. I always tease Jack he should never ever forget our anniversary as it was on the same date different year that he joined the Navy. I told him since he always remembers that he has no excuse for forgetting our anniversary! Did he pick that location because of his graduating and liking how it looked or what? I got engaged in a raging snowstorm on the side of the road in a car! I am going to hang on until January or February and watch for holiday sales (ie MLK and Presidents Day sales) and just dig into savings and buy a stainless steel one that is more upscale. We were planning on replacing the appliances with stainless when we remodeled so no sense getting white again then spending money to replace it again. I will just wash dishes until then. All the appliances are getting close to 15 years old anyway. Our only problem is getting a stainless fridge with ice maker and water that will fit into the space our current fridge fits. Being a condo we can't fool around with walls and such to increase the size and most of them are bigger than the space we have.

Maggie: I get a bazillion catalogues this time of year and like you half are to places I have never heard of. They just go in the trash. I keep getting a Fingerhut catalogue that always says, "This will be your last catalogue if you don't order." I wish they would follow their own advice and make it the last catalogue! How nice to have an invite for dinner. I am sure you will have a grand time. I made vinegar cole slaw with those packaged slaw mixes, oil, red wine vinegar and Truvia and it was the best stuff I have ever had even regular sugar type. I really like the Truvia, but it is expensive and doesn't come in bags yet like you can get Splenda so for most of my sf stuff I will use the pourable Splenda out of the bag.

Susan: Good lunch with the challenge. We are going Friday to the Y and get signed up. You would think they would give us old folks a discount on the monthly dues but they don't. They don't make us pay the joining fee though so that is something as it is like $50 for a family. I am waiting for them to ship my lancets and test strips from Express Scripts to see how much they are going to cost me. I won't have my actual meds and insulin needles on Express Scripts until I go back to the doctors in 2 1/2 weeks so they can see my progress. I have a spiral notebook that I keep a food exchange journal in for them to see what and when I eat, a spread sheet that I keep with the WW pts equivalent, and a spiral notebook with my glucose reading and time I take my meds. It takes time, but I don't work so it isn't any kind of problem for me.

Well girls, I am about frozen to death sitting here. I am going to sit and knit as I don't have to do any Thanksgiving preps at all, have a nice clean house, and have all the laundry done up. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all! Faye
Old 11-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun has been in and out today while the wind continues to blow. I wish it would blow itself right out of here! This was my morning to work in the gift shop; I didn't sell anything but the volunteer in the coffee shop was a retired teacher that I enjoyed when we worked together at school. The volunteer coordinator had a couple different projects to work on so we kept busy most of the morning, and could visit while we worked. I finally got the gift shop money counted for last week and this week; since it will be closed tomorrow and Friday I brought it home with me, then took it to the bank.

"Gma" -- Glad your numbers continue to look good! I had to giggle about you and your beads. As soon as I read aboout the email from the beads/bracelet place, I knew what was coming! Lucky you, to be done with your shopping! I thought I was doing so well, and I am ahead of the game, but still have lots to do. Sioux City is hilly in various parts of the city, and this park is big. Even though it is in the city, you can drive to the top and see the city lights. The bandshell and rose garden are in a lower part and the college used to have spring graduation there. I graduated in August when there weren't as many and it was held in the auditorium on campus. By the time Jason graduated they held the ceremonies outside, on campus, weather permitting. He ended up inside because it rained. The program last night was nice, about an hour long. We went out to eat afterwards which is our standard habit. Wish I could say I have a clean house -- next month!

I have towels to fold and need to get another load in the washer. I also need to get my Snickers mixed into the Cool Whip for tomorrow. Hope you all enjoy your evening and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #8  

Just wanted to come in this morning and post another HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you all. Have a grand day today and enjoy your family and/or friends!!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #9  

Good morning, ladies! Only in the 30s today but the sun is shining and that makes me happy.

Glory and I will be having beef tenderloin this day with the usually trimmings - baked potato, green beans and salad. Dessert is a low carb cranberry walnut torte. I found the recipe in one of my cookbooks and it actually came out the way it was supposed to. It uses almond flour in the crust. I made a little tart so I could taste it and be sure it was eatable. You know I'm just not a baker.

Faye, I'm so glad your blood sugar is coming down so quickly. I know you feel good having your shopping done. I need something for Sandy and Glory and it'll be found on Amazon. I'll keep praying for Jack's promotion. He's still in our prayer book at church.

Jean, I know we resent being asked if we feel safe at home. but think of those who might finally admit to abuse or living alone and being afaid and this is their chance to get help. My doc does ask me if I feel safe and he knows I live alone.

Maggie, the hostess will love your glass building. I love mine.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Turkey Day

GOOD TURKEY DAY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is a chilly day here in the ♥-Land in the 40°s. We had a wonderful time at the dinner today meeting lots of folks and renewing acquaintances of those we already knew that work in different places around this town. There were 20+ people there and what a nice crowd. The hostess told us to take a plate of food home but we thanked her and didn’t. I was able to eat smart for there was the veggie plate that always show up at those types of gatherings. But her sister who has the shop in town that makes the best cheese cake was there . . . and we even turned down taking any of it home. The hostess loved the glass cabin house with the little outhouse that went with it.

I HOPE all of you had a wonderful day.

Have a great evening my friends.
Always remember ~ A setback is only a setup for a comeback.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! It sounds like you all enjoyed your day. We spent a nice day with my step-family. I can't believe November is almost gone. The days are flying by too fast!

"Gma" -- I know you are looking forward to celebrating next weekend with your whole family!

Susan -- Your dinner sounds delicious! I'm not a huge turkey fan so can take it or leave it. We did have it with all the trimmings today, and brought some home for a sandwich tomorrow.

Maggie -- Glad you enjoyed your day!

I am heading off to bed to read for a bit. Even though I didn't do anything, as in work today, I am tired! See you tomorrow!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all! It is not quite as cold as it has been when I get up in the morning so I am not freezing sitting here at the computer. This old condo is so drafty and even if we had the money to do it, they won't let you tear out the walls and put in insulation or replace windows either, but they sure won't do it themselves.

We have a lovely time yesterday as the buffet. I took one spoonful of mac and cheese and no other carbs; not the yummy rolls or mash potatoes none of the pasta dishes or anything else. I did have one egg benedict, which had half an eng muffin too I forgot that. All in all I did well. I ate salad, had some small pieces of turkey though I ate only one as it was very dry and I didn't get any gravy, a couple pieces of cold shrimp, a bunch of green beans almondine and again they had no taste but I ate them anyway. I had a tiny slice of sf cheesecake and a cookie. I came home and was anxious about whether it spiked my blood sugar so tested even though I only have to test in the AM. It was 179 and 180 is what you should test after eating. I am 89 this morning so am good with that too. It is almost meds and breakfast time for me so everything should be ok. I won't go into a long story about my mom, but she believed you shot yourself up with insulin and you could eat whatever you wanted. She last part of her toes because of it and as I have said before the doctor wanted to take her foot and her husband said no. She died two weeks later. With that being said, that is why I am so careful. I really only have one freak out. If my legs or feet get cold or my foot goes to sleep, I get upset thinking my circulation is bad, etc, etc and it is because of my mom. There is no indication I am having any problems with it and the doctor always checks my legs when I go in, but it is just one of those things. I talked to the sister who is diabetic and she does some really stupid stuff, but frankly I am not her keeper. She is in her late 60's and knows what she should and should not do. She does a lot of should nots including smoking again (she coughs like she is going to bring up a lung) eating improperly, reusing her needles, etc. I understand money issues with regards to the supplies as she is on a fixed income, but she puts herself at risk reusing her needles, ie staph infection.

Today is lazy day I think. Jack decided to wait to get a haircut as the shop is in the same shopping center as Lowes and doesn't want to fight for a parking place. He has his haircuts are set up so that he gets a haircut right before the cruise next year! Me, I just want to have my hair done before I go to the hospital after the first of the year.

Susan: Sounds like you had a lovely lunch with friends. That's great that you all have each other for the holidays. The problem is, even if a dr asks that so many times the abused don't tell or they have the abuser sitting right there with them pretending to care for them and they are afraid. I wouldn't be offended by that, but the things she asked had nothing to do with anything involving my health. I did get a very nice email back from the operations director saying he had told all his staff the questions were not to be asked unless directly involved in that person's health and even then only the physician should ask them. We shall see. It is part of the new program and I doubt they even know everything that is in it. I forgot, but as soon as I finish here I will message you my address and I need yours again too. Looks like stupid yahoo/att dumped my address book again.

Jean: Guess no Hawaii trip for the kids next year. She told us yesterday that Tom has to go to Poland during T's spring break. I think she is going to take him to California for Spring Break to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and such. He has never been to Calf. I guess Tom does IT teaching or something all over the world now. He just got back from Europe. I wish you were here. I need you to wrap my presents! Jean, can you message me your address? Like I said it dumped all my addresses.

Maggie: Sounds like you had a great time too. Now you can gear up for that visit from you bil. I have your address.

Everyone have a great day and weekend. Faye
Old 11-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a hazy windy morning in my neighborhood. It's supposed to get up into the 40s through the weekend so I'm hoping the weatherman was right. I have the dishwasher going and need to do a couple loads of laundry when I finish here. We are going to a Christmas concert in Sioux City tomorrow night, and I'm hoping to get the tree decorated this weekend. On the other hand, maybe it will stay undecorated!

I bought a little space heater for myself since my tv chair is by the sliding door and it's cold. I've tried to use it and thought maybe I was doing something wrong because it wouldn't stay on, so had Bob try to get it going. I saved the box but can't find the receipt. I was planning to take it back to WM; the box has "only at T" in a red circle on it! Guess we will make a side trip to Target tomorrow.

"Gma" -- I am surprised that since you own your condo, you can't do whatever you want inside the main walls. I know the outside looks have to stay uniform. Glad you enjoyed the buffet and it sounds like you chose wisely. I'd like to do something different for the Christmas dinner but know the little kids probably wouldn't be too crazy about chili or lasagna. After the blizzard 5 years ago when Bob's mom had such a fit over the chili idea, I hesitate to change now.

The sun has come out! I hope you all enjoy your day! It seems like Saturday to me.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #14  

Good evening, ladies. Only in the 30s again today.

I didn't even leave the house today. I did some shopping on the internet and got Glory a weather station with barometer since yesterday she mentioned she didn't like the changes to the weather channel so she had to get the barometric pressure from the internet. She has Menier's Disease which affected by barometric pressure so she starts her medication so she doesn't get a bad migrane with the pressure reaches a certain level.

Faye, I PMd my addess. We have condos and townhouses in this development (apartments and single family homes, too) and I know the condos can't do anything to their units but the association does take good care of them. They put new roofs and new windows this summer. Sandy's doesn't take care of her diabetes and her sister thought like your mother and ended up losing both legs and died at 49. So sad.

Jean, I forgot to tell you about the shortest day of the year. It is not the same as the winter equinox. The shortest day of the year is when the dark stops happening sooner everyday and it begins to lighted - maybe only a minute or so but its the turn around day. My friend's husband was a scientist and he explained it in great detail to me when I asked him but what I wrote is what I remember. I think as we get older, we look for simplier meals that don't take all day to prepare. Chili would suit me fine for Christmas but we'll probably have ham.

Maggie, its a blessing to have good friends to share the holidays. When Stan was well we often had a couple of servicemen for dinner on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Have a wonderful evening. Tomorrow is Bella's customer appreciation party so I'll be going to that.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #15  

Good morning! It is early, but I went to bed early so am up before the chickens. I sure wish the temps would go back up to where they should be this time of the year, in the 50's and 60's.

Well, I didn't come out of Christmas shopping unscathed. I got Jackson's hoodie with backpack yesterday and it was awful. It was thin material, so thin you could only wear it when it was pretty warm and who needs a hoodie then? It also had the stupid backpack attached to the back of the jacket, so back it goes to Target tomorrow. I just pray it is not too nuts there. I have to take it back and get something else tomorrow as the kids will be here on Wednesday and I don't know which day we will do Christmas for him. On top of that, my lazy behind postal person didn't deliver a package, but left a pick up notice. Jack unlocked the gate early yesterday morning and said when he went out to check the mail the gate was unlocked. So he has to drive across town to pick it up today as it is another of Jackson's gifts.

I don't have any gloves or mittens and had a stash of yarn so decided to make myself a pair of mittens to wear next weekend for the race. I have a good portion of the first one done already. It is supposed to rain, UGH and we are scheduled to be there 6 AM-noon. To get on the St Jude's campus and use the rest room facilities and such you have to be part of the volunteers so Kelly made all of us part of the cheering on team. I am not sure how thrilled Jack is about being there at 6, but it is what it is if we want to see Thomas run and have access to the bathrooms. We didn't go last year and heard about it from everyone how unhappy they were we weren't there to cheer them on and such. I tried to tell them it was too hard for me without access to a bathroom, but I think it went in one ear and out the other. It was mostly my son who was like that as he ran the marathon last year. He acted like I didn't care, but I did care and wanted to be there, but there are no rest rooms anywhere around and the ones that might have had a restroom were not allowing race watchers to use them without buying something all the time. Anyway, we will be on campus this year.

I got my handicap pass on Wednesday so I can now park close to walk into the store. It was nice for the Thanksgiving buffet, but I still had to manuever the wheelchair incline and their port cochere had these big bumpy tiles that were hard to walk over.

Susan: Thank you so much for the books. Yes, let me know when you mail them so I can make sure I unlock the gate everyday until they get here. Of course I can't be sure she would bring them up to the house anyway. Thanks for your address too. I get so fed up with this condo association not doing anything, but making a big stink if you step out of line in any way. I dare them to say anything about my satellites being on the roof. I asked about that way back when we first moved in and was told by the then president it was fine, but you aren't supposed to put them on anything I guess. Most of the condos here have the dishes on their garages or on the condo itself somewhere so I just dare them. They don't want to fix anything. We need a new roof and I noticed the empty house next door actually has a tarp over part of their roof. It is just disgusting. We barely get lawn care anymore.

Jean: I am not going to put up any decorations again until we do the remodel. There is just not room anywhere with the furniture the way it is. No one comes to visit here anyway so there is no one to see it. I saw a Dyson heating and cooling unit on tv that looked interesting, but I bet it costs a fortune. I have a little heater out in the garage, but it doesn't do much. We usually get pizza or something for Christmas Eve with the kids. Everything closes so early though that if Kelly and Tom have to work late we are out of luck. Same goes with going to a restaurant. Most of them close up around 6 on Christmas Eve. Christmas day this year I told Jack I am going to do a rotisserie chicken just for something different. We usually go to Ihop or down to the casinos to eat as it is the only two places open Christmas Day, but I nixed that for this year.

Well girls, I am going to sit and knit until Jack gets up. Have a nice Saturday all. Faye