Old 04-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #19

Good morning ladies. I had to take allergy meds last night and now I am all dried out and my eyes are all icky. Fortune had to be let out so I had to come downstairs and wait for him so I decided to read posts.

Susan: I didn't know what you were talking about. I thought, I didn't say anything about them peeing, until I went back and read what I had written. I imagine there is some of that though, don't you! I know they are noisy little critters! It was this big whoosh of noise when I opened the door to the cafeteria and went in to get ice. They need time just like the rest of us to blow off steam though and a big group like that will make a lot of noise. The clinic is just feet from the cafeteria so I do hear a lot of stuff. Thanks for the idea, that sounds great! I bet that would work. I love my floor cleaning machine as I don't have to bend over all the time to squeeze out mop and such, but it doesn't get against the baseboards, in corners and such. That will have to be done by hand.

Jean: The only other "paint drying" sport is tennis. That is boring to me too! Jack likes golf and will watch stuff like the masters tournament but not a lot else. He loves college basketball though and I sit and just stare at the screen. We do have 3 tvs so we can watch what we want, but I usually just sit there rather than having to go up and sit on the bed and watch tv. We have a very few days and baseball starts and that I can't wait for. I do love my Cubbies. Have to blame that on my grandpa who loved Chicago baseball and I learned to love it from that. To me they were "rich" because they had a big antenna and could pick up Chicago channels where all we had were the local ones so I would go over to their house and watch tv and in the summer you could bet baseball was on. I agree with you that salaries are outrageous. I mean, it is no mean feat to run around a court for 2 hours or whatever, but do you need to earn 45 million a year doing that? A coach at Missouri just got a raise; 1.6 million a year. Geez what you could do with a quarter of that, huh?

Oh, here is a sample of the placemats, sans the green ones. I took this pic to put on my blog so I thought I would pass it on to you. Very fiesta looking I think. Her dining room colors run to the golds, rusts and such. The original pattern has really cute aqua, pinks and such. Don't know if she will ever display or use them, but I needed something different this year for a gift.

You girls don't work too hard and have a great day. I am going to try and get the upstairs cleaned. We have to be at the drs at 8:30 in the morning so that will shoot a hole in the day as it always takes awhile since they are doing all their own testing and stuff. I just hope the suffering the poor man goes through taking the niacin has made a difference in raising his good cholesterol.

Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg placemats.jpg (40.7 KB, 10 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies! It's warming up again but overcast today.

Faye, I like the placemats! Very pretty and practical. I hope everything comes out right at the doctor's for Jack.

Jean, I don't like sports. Never did, never will. I've sat through at lot of games on TV because of the menfolk but never by choice. Since they use the golf carts now, I doubt you could even say it's good exercise. I'll sit and watch the grass grow. Michael Vick's bankruptcy trial starts this week in Suffolk. They brought him to the jail there. He made millions and millions at Atlanta and now is bankrupt? Don't feel sorry for him.

I had to come into work 2 hours early today to install a new router on the server so I'll get an early start to my weekend. I have quilting bee tonight, dinner with a couple of friends first so that will be nice. Got the next pattern for my block of the month quilt so I'll be working on that this weekend.

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's a teeny bit warmer today with a slight breeze. I have one more day of bus duty and then can scratch that off my list of "lasts." That I won't miss!

"Gma" -- I hope your allergy meds did the trick and you are hydrated once again! The placemats look great! I like the color combinations. I'm sure Alicia will enjoy using them. Good luck to Jack!

Susan -- It's a good thing that you know how to fix the computer glitches at work! You probably could work twice as fast being there alone as when the office is open. Enjoy supper out with your friends and the quilting bee tonight.

I need to put my kitchen back together again. I tore into cupboards looking for rummage sale stuff and didn't take time to put things back. Have a nice evening and a FANTASTIC FRIDAY tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-02-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #4  

Morning gals! It is very windy this morning and we had some hard thunderstorms last night. Jack's appt for his blood tests are at 8:30 so we have to be up and at em early this morning. Shouldn't take long. The whole thing is to check his cholesterol overall and especially his good cholesterol to see if it has come up since they doubled his niacin in January.

Susan: Hope you have a grand time with your friends. I joined ravelry and have found Memphis groups on the website so I think I am going to start going to their knit ins. There is one group that has them on Tuesday evenings so I think I will go to that one. It is at some small restaurant in Midtown. I hope she likes the placemats they are easy to knit but take awhile to do.

Jean: Hope the cleanout went well and you were able to get things put back where they belong. It is always such a good feeling when you pitch stuff that you no longer use and do cleanouts. I seriously need to get with it and get that stuff done.

You gals have a great Friday and a good weekend. Looking forward to T's performance on Saturday. His parents have to go to the night performance as dd has to work.

Faye
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #5  

Good evening, ladies! A little rain this morning, then it turned into a gorgeous 78 degree day. Yard man came and weeded flower beds and trimmed hedges and all that spring grass stuff.

I've lived next door to my neighbor for 20 years. Her son was a 9 year old when all of us moved here. His mom and dad live and work in Saudi Arabia and are home 2 months of the year so it makes for good neighbors these last few years. He comes and looks in on the house while they are gone. He was there today when I came home from the grocery store and he came out and told me to wait a minute, he had a huge surprise for me. He came out carrying a baby carrier and introduced me to Houston III. I knew they were expecting him to get married last summer, but never heard anymore about it. He did and here's the baby. He is so tiny, but only 2 weeks old. Dad brought him to show me and waited until I got home. Guess I need to get a baby quilt made pronto.

Went grocery shopping this morning. Didn't take long because I didn't need much. I also went shopping for a dress while I was out. All I want is a simple church dress. I don't want to look like the local streetwalker or have various parts hanging out or a skirt up above my knees. I can see this is going to be a search. Guess I'll try Kohl's tomorrow.

Faye, I hope your ravelry group turns out like out quilt sit-ins. You'll have the best time. My friend at the quilting bee last night gave me a knitting magazine she got in England when she was on TDI. It has the most beautiful short sleeved tunic, plain through the shoulders and bust then shell stitch for the bottom half and sleeves. I'm going to see if I can figure it out since they knit differently. I guess I just should teach myself the continental way. I haven't knitted anything but socks recently, but this makes me want to get going again.

Jean, doesn't it feel good to get rid of excess and help a good time at the same time! I hope you are having a good day.

Have a good evening!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! We just got home from the party down the block. As luck would have it the cat haters are gone tonight! I am going to bed shortly as it's been a long day.

The excitement at school was that a girl took some nude pictures of herself and sent them to several boys on their cell phones. One boy happens to be the son of one of the special ed. teachers. The girl has been sent away and the kids are all talking about her. She is not one of the more popular girls and tries so hard to fit in. She lives with her dad and stepmom because her own mom doesn't want her -- crappy situation all the way around. I feel so bad for her.

"Gma" -- I don't know why but "knit in" sounded funny to me. I hope that Jack's test results are A-OK. I still need to do some cleaning this weekend. It sounds like our weather is going to be crappy so will have to stay inside anyway.

Susan -- You have the best kind of neighbors! What colors will you use for the baby quilt? I know exactly what you mean about looking for a dress. I love your description! What you described is how the girls dress at school . . . "it's their culture, you know." I feel like I got a start on the deep digging, but I know there is more to get rid of.

Hope you all have a nice weekend. Tomorrow morning is my time in the gift shop. The day is to be rain changing to snow so we'll see what happens.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Peeking In

GOOD LATE EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Just peeking in before go nightey night. I have been in reading what y'all write but have nothing to say. Imagine that, me with nothing to say. I have just been doing my glass works and that is it ~ besdes the usual stuff that keep the home going. I have all 3 gazebos done and they look so cute. Got all the pieces for the tall Victorian houses cut and rough edges ground and some if it wrapped. I am waiting for my glass order in order to install the lights for I am out of the fixtures. However, there is so much to do on these buildings before I need to install the lights since there are so many pieces. Lots and lots of little windows and shutters ~ yikes there are so many. Life is good.

Everyone have a lovely weekend. Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 04-04-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies! Just a short post this morning as I have lots to get done. We are trying to shampoo carpets and clean house and we have T's play this afternoon so I need to get going on things.

Did you see the article about some people on the Dr Phil show admitting to stealing over a $100,000 shoplifting? I don't know what he had them on the show about but unless it specifically to get them caught I think he was pretty irresponsible. I don't even watch his show anymore. I think he has gotten pretty big for his britches. I don't watch Oprah anymore either as she is pretty racist in my opinion.

Maggie: Hope all is going well with you and I see you keep at the glass work.

Susan: What a delightful surprise to see the baby. Boy, I wish my neighbors were out of the country most of the time, but then they would probably end up in prison over there somewhere for their shenanigans.

Jean: Poor Jack has only raised his HDL 1 point over what it was 6 months ago. Since doubling the niacin, he has double the symptoms of the flushing and such. We shall see what happens at his yearly appt in August if it has improved over long term use.

Well gals, gotta get going. Have a good Saturday all!
Faye
Old 04-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLAS OUT THERE

It is a sunny day here in the heartland and the wind has subsided somewhat. I have a few things I must get done before I get back to my glass. Not much out of the ordinary going on here.

DONNA I am sure you will enjoy that play this day. I love attending those functions. Young "T" will be suburb, I know, because he tackles everything with all he has. What a kid. Enjoy. Jacks system may take that whole year between checkups to get adjusted to the meds. Hopefully they can get him regulated.

EVEERYONE ELSE All y'all who go here have a lovely day.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-04-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #10  

Good afternoon, ladies! Another nice day.

I went to WW this morning - lost 3.4 - so am finally back to my weight on the tracker - 11.4 in 2 weeks means there was a whole lot of water in me! The change in my meds is kicking in and I'm finally starting to feel better.

I had an urge to make spaghetti sauce today so it's simmering on the stove and smelling great. I'll make some Chicken parmasean with a side of pasta for supper, big salad and broccoli.

Faye, I can't wait for you to tell us about the play. I know Thomas will be the best!

Jean, I'm thinking of blue and yellow for the quilt. I have plenty on hand so won't need to buy any.

Maggie, glad to have you post!

Have a good day, I have to do housework!
Old 04-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The wicked wind is blowing like crazy from the east. If we get any snow it will be a ground blizzard for sure. The wind catches the shutters and siding on the house which makes them vibrate. I hope they are fastened down well enough. I got lots of magazines read at the hospital this morning. I had 2 customers which is 2 more than last month. MIL was on the answering machine when I got home. She wanted someone to come and sit with her because she was in so much pain and couldn't have any more pain meds until 3:00. Bob came home shortly after I did and he chose to ignore her message so I didn't call her back. I have laundry going and need to vacuum dust and fur hunks floating around on the floor.

Maggie -- You have to have lots of patience working with your glass projects. I'm afraid I would break way too many pieces.

"Gma" -- Enjoy the play this afternoon! I know Thomas will do a fine job. I was just reading a Shaklee catalog and looking at all of their different products which are good for different things. I don't remember which one but it mentioned improving the cholesterol #s. Mine are fine except for the triglycerides which are a tiny bit higher than the doctor likes.

Susan -- Hmmm . . . spaghetti does sound good! I think I have everything I need to make it too! Blue and yellow are the colors in my quilt (bought at Penneys), and I've never gotten tired of the combination.

Bob is going to visit MIL so guess I will go along. Have a nice rest of the day . . . hope your weather is better than here!

Jean -- from windy Iowa!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #12  

Good morning ladies. We are going to tackled downstairs rug shampooing today and I am trying to get the house cleaned first down here, but Jack isn't up yet so I thought I would sneak in here and post.

Thomas was soooooo cute. He was part of a group called the seasiders and most of what they did was sing and they would have individual one liners about the mermaid or the prince. Thomas was a hoot because he knew all the seasiders lines. I could read his lips as they would go down the row and each kid would say his line. He was dressed in sort of rust and brown colors which looked great on him, had this big handlebar mustache and a newsboy cap that kept falling over his right eye. I think he may have seen me in the audience as everytime his group would come out and sit he would look right to where I was sitting, but then there weren't a lot of redheads with sticking up hair in the front of the audience (we were about 3 rows back on one end.) so I would have been easy to spot! lol I FORGOT the camera so we had to use the phone camera and didn't get a very good pic of him. I am going to have to email Kelly and ask her to send me one or two. It was so cute and the kids did a great job.

Susan: I agree with everyone else, spaghetti does sound good. Think I will send Jack to the store to get what I need later on this morning.

Maggie: I hope they can do something with him. These meds are horrible for him and if they don't work then there is no sense to go through what he has to go through. He has been on a single 500mg dose for several years now, since his original heart attack, then they doubled it for one year with no improvement then back to the single then in January put him back on 1000 mg. The poor man flushes bright red all over his body, is hot like hot flashes and has pin prick tingling all over that lasts anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour sometimes. He says it feels like thousands of bee stings. He says he could handle the flushing and hot flashes if he didn't have to endure the tingling. Unfortunately, when we were in there in January, his cardiologist says there is not really any other drug that will bring the hdl up.

Jean: Hope mil was more comfortable when you got there as I imagine she would be quite cranky if she was hurting. Maybe the powers that be should rethink the hospital gift shop and concentrate more on snacks, books, mags, puzzles and such to draw in customers if the gifts aren't doing it. I know I wouldn't shop in a hospital gift shop for anything because they are outrageously expensive. Hope your weather is improving. It was beautiful here yesterday but we are supposed to get a hard freeze Monday night down in the 20's so I imagine by azaleas will die.

Well I need to get to work and check and see if Jack is up in his office.
Have a good one gals!
Faye
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another crappy weather day in my corner of the world. We got just a little snow early this morning; part of the yard has snow and part doesn't. Right now we are having wind and "snow showers," but if the big snow kicks in it won't be good. The weather radar shows it going around us and we are right in the middle of a bare spot. The farmers blame our screwy weather on the windmills.

I was lazy yesterday and didn't finish the laundry so that is going this morning as well as the dishwasher. We skipped church this morning. I play bells on Easter and Bob is in a play Thursday night so we will get our time in this week.

"Gma" -- I just knew that Thomas would do well in the play. I'm not a good picture taker but do try to take my camera along. Beth is good at getting candid shots but usually forgets her camera so uses mine. It would be nice if the doctors could come up with something that would work for Jack without the side effects. MIL was a happy camper when we went to visit yesterday. Bob brought a padded chair from his office for her. It is higher and has arms on it, so it is easier for her to get in and out of. I think she sits up straighter in it and that is good. I don't know if I shared this or not but Bob's sister's son in AZ is studying to be a pharmacist. She was miffed that Bob hadn't called her when MIL was in the hospital, but the AZ brother offered to do that and didn't. Anyhow, she wanted to know all the drugs, etc., that MIL is on and she was going to check them out with her son. Bob just said if she wanted to run the show he would ship MIL back to AZ. She can't take care of herself (MS) let alone help her mother. So she calls MIL and says that nephew claims that she can take 3 extra strength Tylenol every 4 hours and it won't hurt her. MIL has no clue what she is taking besides the Tylenol which she thinks is the wonder drug . . . not in this case, that's for sure. Needless to say Bob let his mother know in no uncertain terms that that is not what the doctor said, and that if she chose to follow nephew's guidelines Bob had no sympathy for her pain -- real and imagined! He was really after his told his sister to butt out she went ahead and butted in anyway. At least the brothers don't offer medical advice. I must say that it looks like MIL is doing the breathing treatments, wearing the oxygen 24/7, and had a can of "Thick It" on her counter to thicken whatever she drinks.

The dryer is buzzing so have to go change loads. Have a nice day and enjoy.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #14  

Good afternoon, ladies! A beautiful Palm Sunday here.

We had a procession into the church this morning after the blessing of the palms outside. The gospel is so long, though.

Nothing interesting happening today. I'm going to start the baby quilt this afternoon.

Faye, I knew Thomas would steal the show! I gave up trying to take pictures. They never come out good. I'm camera-disabled. I hope I never have to take Niacin!

Jean, I know how you and Bob feel with people butting in but not actually doing anything constructive. Every family has them. Snow-ugh! The tree leaves about about half way out already.

Have a good day!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies! We are getting and have been getting Jean's wind. It is rattling windows and tinkling my chimes outside. I thought we would get rain but never did. I am not sure we need any that is for sure. I do wish it would make up its mind between chilly and warm though. The house was warm yesterday so we had the ac on and it is chilly in here this morning, enough I may have to put the furnace on for a few.

I have to finish the rest of the downstairs today. I didn't get the floors mopped as I couldn't see doing it when Jack was dragging water and such back and forth to do the rugs. The rugs are all nice and clean, at least downstairs. We will finish up and do the upstairs after we come back from Indiana.

Cubs baseball season starts tonight so I am looking forward to watching the game. We shall see what happens with all the changes they made again.

Jean: It is bad enough that someone is a know it all about medicine and medical stuff, but to pass it on to a person that might use it instead of following doctor's advice is pretty darn stupid. I don't really care for Tylenol as I don't think it works as well as nsaid pain relievers. Either way you can either ruin your liver or you stomach depending on which one you take if you take a lot of it. Hope the nasty snow past you on by and surely doesn't sneak down here!

Susan: I noticed yesterday our trees are budding out now. Just more lovely pollen. Our car is covered in it when it sits out anywhere. My nose knows too! lol I bet the baby quilt will be just gorgeous. The performing arts center had some quilts on display that were just lovely. They aren't just bedding but truly works of art.

Nothing is getting done this way so I need to get going. Have a good one!
Faye