Old 03-28-2009, 05:07 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #18

Good Saturday morning ladies. I do not know why I am up at this hour as I didn't go to bed until around 10 and laid and talked to Jack for awhile until he fell asleep on me. He does that fairly regularly. Must be my soothing voice... NOT! I am a total loudmouth. I can be lying there having a conversation with him when I hear ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Oooh, yesterday I was working on the fringe and had to wind more and my knitting scissors just broke in half in my hand. My other scissors in the house are all crappy and they wouldn't cut yarn so we had to go out last night so I could get scissors. l bought a pair of singer craft scissors at Kroger just so I had some and when I get back from Indiana in a couple weeks will go to Joann and see if they have Fiskars, which I really like. I want a small pair that will fit into my needle case and the ones I had fit perfect. The pair I bought are fine, but I think I may need a sturdier pair that can cut more than a piece of yarn, just in case.

Susan: I like a good veggie soup, but Jack is so veggie phobic that when I make it for the house it can only have meat, potatoes, carrots, and onions n it. I usually just buy a minestrone in a can or a vegetarian vegetable. I like the italian soups because of the beans they put in. I love the pasta fagoli soup Olive Garden has. It is decent in points too. Yes, I did get the napkins and the things are huge. The colors don't all really match, but together with the placemats they look great. The only thing is the gave me two different fabric types. They feel like two of the colors are a poly cotton blend and the other two 100% cotton. All in all, they look nice together.

Jean: The poor birds had to be confused as to why all of a sudden they couldn't drink. It cools in the evening but we have consistent warm temps during the day and looks like it will stay that way now. It means sandal weather for me finally. I live in sandals as much as can during the year. Looks like Indiana is cold like you guys though so I might have to just wear my crocs to Indiana. I haven't heard another word from my sister, but I do know that my bil took this job knowing the woman was impossible to work for, but the company he had been working for was going under piece by piece or selling off and he was afraid to stay there. I guess this woman is a micromanager but insists her employees read her mind as to changes she wants and such. My bil is pretty easy going as far as an employee is concerned so I know they don't butt heads that way. My sister told me the company that was doing a 3rd interview with him emailed (didn't even have the decency to call) him on the day of the third interview and said they had put the job on hold until at least June to see if they could do without hiring someone at all. I think that was crappy to do that to a person. Set them all up as though you are really interested then deciding, "nah, we don't want to hire someone after all." I ask her if they would be willing to move from CA for him to get a job, but she wants her dd to graduate this year and they have that nephew living with them that graduates next year so she doesn't want to move.

I guess I will get in my recliner and knit. I now have 4 mats completely done and one on the needles and one ready to have fringe put on then two more to make after that. If I am diligent and work all day, I can finish one in a day, but I get tired or my hands and shoulders get to hurting so I kind of go back and forth on them

Have a great weekend!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright day here in the heartland. We did get a skiff of snow but not much at all what they predicted. They said we would get 6 inches and we gt a quarter of an inch. We sure could use more for the moisture. The crops ar thirsty. I think we must be on the edge of the storm. I don't have a lot to say this day but "howdy." I've got to plan some meals and such. I might start working on my last 3 houses for this order. I don't have enough light fixtures to finish them up though but if when I get them cut out and have enough matching glass left I can cut out the gazebos and make them up. It all depnds on how the glass cuts. Sometimes the sheets are great to cut and I can get a lot of pieces out of it and other times the glass is rotten and splinters and breaks and crumbles. So I won't know until I get started and right now I am just enjoying my first wake up cup of coffee.

DONNA Thanks for starting a fresh thread for us. I have two pairs of those little Fiskars and love them. I keep one pair with my sewing things and use the other pair with my glass works. My first pair quit working with that little orange thingie that keeps them closed and the told me to mail them back and they sent me a new pair. Good USA company. I also have a larger pair of Gingher's with my sewing stuff and have had them for years and they are still very sharp. They have cut many cloth items through the years. Never use them on paper which dulls them. I love having good tools.

Have a lovely weekend all y'all ~ Type at you later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #3  

Good morning, Flowers! I'm just peeking in for a minute. The sun is shining, a slight breeze, and only 20 degrees outside. I have to start "saving" my favorite places to visit since I ordered a new computer yesterday. The salesman assured me they can transfer everything from old to new, but I want to be sure "just in case." Don't ask me what kind of computer because I don't know. It is a local computer store that orders the innards and then puts it all together for whatever the customer wants included. I said mine had to be very plain and simple! He did say I would have XP again because they've had nothing but trouble with Vista. Maybe he thought Vista would be too complicated for me.

"Gma" -- The school district, by law, has to advertise any vacancies created by teachers retiring, leaving the district, etc. Most of the time the vacancies are filled from within by other teachers who want a change. I'm anxious to see if they advertise my position because I know that several others have said they would never be able to walk the halls with the "big" kids. I don't know if they think it is that dangerous or what. I've never felt threatened except by a bookbag loaded with everything the kid owns; the kids will stop and turn around to go another direction and the bookbag usually hits whoever is standing too close. I really prefer working for a man as I think women tend to rule with emotion involved rather than common sense. I hope your bil finds a job close so they don't have to move.

Maggie -- I think the last rain and snow must have traveled south of us because we got nothing . . . just wind. What is your next glass project going to be once you have all of your buildings finished on this one? You are busy! I'm afraid I would break all the glass I tried to cut.

Susan -- Are you up yet?

I need to get busy, round up some more stuff for the rummage sale next weekend, and vacuum up the fur/dust balls floating around. Have a great weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #4  

Good afternoon, ladies. Warm 66 degrees today but cloudy. Hopefully it will stay warm now.

Jean, When I make soup, I just start with broth, onions, carrots, celery and a green - cabbage, spinach, kale, turnip greens - then I add what ever leftover vegetables I have and anything that might not last much long, and if that isn't enough I use frozen vegetables, and a can of diced tomatoes. It never comes out the same. Keeps it interesting. I have Vista and it is very different than XP but I like it.

Maggie, the Bradford pear trees are dropping their blossoms and it looks like snow under the trees. Very pretty.

Faye, I use Fiskar and Ginger scissors. I love the Ginger but they they are pricy but well worth it. I hope things work out for your BIL and his job.

I went to WW this morning. I told you all I was retaining a lot of water - down 8 pounds! They had the 1 point Oatmeal Raisin bars on BOGO so I was able to get 2 boxes for the price of one. 24 of those will last several months. It's nice to have a little something like that if I feel the need for something a little sweeter.

After WW I made a grocery run. Didn't need much but fruit and veggies today.

Time for quilting!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies. We haven't had to use the heat in awhile and I got up this morning and the house was 63! No wonder we were freezing upstairs. I turned to 71 to get the chill out of the condo.

Susan: When the cottonwoods here lose their blossoms it is like fur flying around. It is unusual to say the least. Up north we didn't have a lot of flowering trees unless they were fruit trees so seeing magnolias, cottonwoods, dogwoods, something called an eastern redbud and the like has always been a pleasure to me in spring. The peach trees are in bloom out by the base. It is gorgeous because there is a peach farm so there are hundreds of trees. Of course I pay the price with the pollen. Our suv is covered in yellow pollen at the moment just from one day of Jack driving it to work and it sitting outside.

Jean: Hope you like your new computer and have no problems with your windows program. I am kind of like that here in my neighborhood. It isn't a good neighborhood anymore, but I never feel in danger if I go out and walk during the day and such. I think it is more them hurting each other for drugs, money or whatever. At school, I would imagine unless they have a grudge against you for something, they would leave you alone.

Maggie: You are just buzzing along on your glass work. I am working fast trying to finish up those darn placemats. I am only a few rows from having #6 done. I decided since they aren't wearables, I was going to use fabric glue on the back sides and glue down where I would end a color after wove in the end. This way it won't unravel. It doesn't seep through to the front and you wouldn't want to turn it over and use the back side anyway since you have all the woven ends on that side. I will be glad when they are all done, I can tell you that. They were easy to do, but BORING! lol

I need to go gals and get started on morning chores. I want to clean the downstairs today. I have to work in the clinic on Tuesday so would like to have all the house work done today and tomorrow if possible.

Have a lovely Sunday!
Faye
Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #6  
Web Nana

Good Morning Magnolias!
It is a gloomy, rainy day here in the Northeast. Well, March kept to it's word and came in like a Lion and it seems to be going out like a Lamb. Now, I hope I haven't jinxed everything by saying that.

Not a whole lot going on in my neck of the woods. But the grandkids are busy bees. Sean, 17, and a HS junior is looking at colleges and the family is going on a college trip during the April school vacation week. Looking at schools in Pennsylvania and Virginia and on the way back will stop in Connecticut. We, of course, will have the dog for the week. Moshup is a chocolate lab and full of vim and vinegar but she loves the outside so not too much trouble. Jack can no longer walk her because of the arthritis but she will get plenty of exercise in the fenced in back yard

We got a phone call the other day from Ryan, another grandson, 12, and he had to show us his proficiency at the clarinet. He has started learning show tunes and played "Ain't Misbehavin" and quite well.

The NC contingent will be visiting us near the end of July, in time for Jack's 80th BD and I have told Nick, 13, to bring his saxophone with him. He is in the jazz band at his school. We can then have a little show. Ryan's brother, Kevin, 15, is quite good with the guitar and his sister, Stephanie, 9, plays the piano. I will have to find someone with a camcorder and get it on tape

Jean: Good luck with the new computer. I never did get the Vista program and had the XP which I was able to handle. However, last August, Jack got me a new computer....IMAC. This is the best thing I have ever had. I also got 1 years lessons called One to One and I go every week and learn something new. I have learned how to make movies, organize my photos, and use a Nano and export photos and music to the Nano. I have every one of my music CD on my computer so I can play they as background whenever I want. This MAC is not susceptible to all the viruses the the PC is so I save in not having to have Norton etc. I also have been scanning and downloading a lot of old pictures so that they can be saved and all in one place instead of in a myriad of boxes. See what you can do when you are retired!!! I hope your mil will be healing soon and she won't be confined to bed and chair.

Maggie: Your houses sound beautiful. I love houses and have a number of the Department 56 houses that I have collected over the years. At this point I am not increasing the numbers even though I am tempted when I see some new ones out in the stores. I have had it with dusting and cleaning and trying to pare things down. I have a long narrow living room and the narrow end has a radiator under the window and I have to low bookcases on either side. I have the houses displayed across the tops of the bookcases and also the radiator cover. They stay up year round but I usually only light them when I want to show off or during the Christmas season.

Faye, Your place mats and napkins will make a lovely gift. I like the idea of multi colors so they they can be used with a variety of table tops. T sounds like a great kid and he is having such an education. Not only in his school work but in the many places he is visiting with his parents. He will go far.

Susan, Congratulations on your latest weight loss. 8 lbs. is a lot of water. I am glad all your tests showed good results.

Susan and Faye you are saying how your trees are blossoming and I can only say that the tulips around the lantern in the front yard are just peeping through. We are so far behind you. I can hardly wait til it warms up.

I just put a pot roast in the slow cooker and took a break to come here to the computer so I guess it would be nice if I went back to the kitchen and cleaned up my mess.

Take care everyone and have a great Sunday
Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's 50 degrees outside according to the weatherbug. I see a neighbor out digging in his garden. We went to church this morning. We had planned to because the church family was honoring the office secretary who is retiring after 18 years. The minister called last night and wondered if Bob would get up and sing, with 3 others, using the mics. The local churches record a service for the radio station and evidently the music is not coming through very well. After cake and coffee we headed home and I've been putzing ever since. I did make a ham loaf for lunch which we ate late because of the cake and coffee at church.

Funny story, I think . . . . there is a family who lives kind of kitty corner back yards from us at the end of the block. They have a hunting dog that they tie up and he barks nonstop at anything and everything. There are 3 (I think) middle school age children in the family and the dad is the assistant principal at the middle school. They camp and he hunts so they have a camper, boat, etc., etc., etc. parked in their driveway and along side the house. Well, they are moving to the other end of the block so now they will be kitty corner back yards with the cat hating neighbors. She is Mrs. Fussy about her perfect yard, flowers, lawn furniture, etc. I can hardly wait until the dog starts barking or when he gets loose, tears through her garden, and poops in her yard. She will have a fit at all the stuff parked in the yard where she can see it. The street dead ends there and so they have extra yard space which belongs to the county but they can use if they mow it. I love it!

Susan -- A big congrats on losing 8#s! You must feel better if that was mostly water weight! I don't even know what kale looks like; I will have to check that one out. Enjoy your quilting!

"Gma" -- I don't know if it is the state rule or just local, but it is against the law to plant cottonwood trees around here. There are a few and they do make a mess for sure. Do the peach trees smell like peaches? Don't you know that Sunday is a "day of rest" and you shouldn't be doing your chores?

Gloria -- How nice to see your post today! You are a busy lady! I don't think I will ever get the hang of running a computer beyond the simple tasks of turning it on, then finding my email and favorite places to visit. It is for certain that the grandkids grow up much too quickly. Kolby will turn 4 in April and Zowie will turn 4 in May; it seems like just yesterday we got the call that Ian arrived and he is 6 1/2, Maddy is 5 1/2. I know you will have a wonderful time with everyone around for Jack's birthday. I thought that any computer hooked up to the internet was capable of getting a virus. We have MACs at school, and every once in awhile we get the warning not to open the bulk junk mail that comes through the filters.

I need to fold my last load of clothes and work on my rummage sale stuff. Have a nice rest of the day and a marvelous Monday tomorrow! (8 weeks!)

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #8  

Good evening, ladies. We had a gorgeous day today - 78 degrees and sunshine. I'm ready for it.

I went to Church this morning and that was the highlight of the day. Housework and laundry took up the rest of the day.

Faye, I like the redbuds too. Did you get all your cleaning done?

Gail, it was great to see the post from you! Spring will get to you soon.

Jean, glad to see Mrs. Fussy will be getting her commeupance. I do feel better without the water.

Maggie, hi!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #9  

Good morning gals! I didn't get anything done yesterday so I have to get to it this morning. Jack was watching racing and the 2 NCAA games so I didn't want to work around him. Playing catch up today I guess.

Gloria: It was great to hear from you. Can't believe one of the kids is graduating and several are on their way. They do grow up so fast. Seems like just yesterday we were rushing to Indiana for the baby's birth and he will be 2 in less than 2 months. Thomas will be 9 around the same time. We have gotten a bit of the chilly weather over the weekend, but it is suppose to warm back up. We are going to continue to get rain this week and I am not sure we need more.

Jean: I wish my neighbors would dry up and blow away. They are loud and rude and disgusting. I wouldn't want your neighbor, but our one neighbor is so disruptive having people show up in the middle of the night pounding on the door yelling to be let in. I think she also has a mentally disabled grown man living there as I have heard him outside swearing and talking really filthy one day and saw her take a switch to him yelling at him to get back into the house. Who knows? I just hope they don't pay their rent and get bounced.

Susan: Nope, housework isn't done like I said and I have to get moving on it this morning and get it done. I want to get two more placements totally finished by putting on their fringe and get the last two green ones knitted.

Well gals, I really do have to go. Have a great start to your week.
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-30-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:03 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies. A lovely spring day.

I have bible study tonight - second half of Luke. I look forward to that. Then we have no more until after Easter.

Faye, now you know why my house isn't spotless - quilting sneaks in and the housework doesn't get done.

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Noon On Monday

GOOD ALMOST NOON O'CLOCK MAGNOLIAS

What a lovely day in the heartland. No wind and the sun is shining. Will has gone to get some potting soil and fertilizer for our raised garden. This place is low on water so I have an idea how we can water our garden. Since it takes so long for the hot water to come upstairs to the faucets I will catch the cold water in jugs until it reaches the hot stage. That way we can water our garden with "free" water. I'll catch the sink water in emptied milk jugs and the shower water in pails. The meter won't show us using any more water in the summer time than usual. Gotta do our part. Yikes, paper goods have taken a rise in cost. Have you noticed? I am afraid other things will go up also. Ah but Life is good. Will just came back with strawberries in hand that came from our old stomping ground in Oxnard. On my way to work back in the old days I would drive past the strawberry fields and sometimes the foreman of the pickers would wave me over and give me a couple flats of berries to share with my fellow workers. He sure made me popular with the folks where I worked.

GLORIA How nice to hear from you. My your grandchildren are growing up. Reminds me of the song "Turn Around." If Ryan is good on his instrumnt now just think how well he will be playing when he is older. Your house collection sounds lovely. I love them when they are in groupings like yours. I am going to build a barn that has doors on both front and back so the little train can choo choo through it Aren't computer classes fun? It is amazing what one can learn from those classes that is so helpful.

JEAN When will you get your new computer? I agree that XP is better than Vista ~ much fewer glitches in XP. Counting down, you will be a free woman soon. Are you planning anything to celebrate?

DONNA Neighbors. I am so glad all we hear at times are the loud sounds of boom boom from next door when the kid is working on his truck. All Will has to do is step out back and give the kid a friendly wave and he says "sorry" and turns it down. Otherwise all we hear is an occasional dog raising the alarm about something real or imagined.

SUSAN You have a sneaky quilt and I have a sneaky glass house. But I do have to keep this place presentable at all times being the "preachers wife." I am so thankful that Will is so helpful around here. We have "drop in's" from time to time and I always have something prepared easy to fix as a treat with coffee or tea. So you see the necessity of having the place at least picked up ~ except in my studio. I have it nicely arranged but it looks worked in at all times. Will's office is just like he likes it so I don't even touch it except to move some stuff off a chair if I want to go in there for a chat. Me thinks he needs another table in there. That would be helpful.

Well ladies time to go put some sourdough in the machine to mix up then I take it out and bake it in my little bread oven. Yep, Life is good.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-30-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is terribly windy here today -- anything not nailed down or heavy is long gone. We are on the edge of the weather that is coming in from the Dakotas so it's anybody's guess what tomorrow will bring.

Susan -- I'd love to see a 78 degree day! Enjoy your Bible study tonight!

"Gma" -- I think I will keep my neighbors. At least they are quiet and we just ignore each other.

Maggie -- I should get the new computer in 7 - 10 days depending on how busy they are when it gets here. As far as I know the only retirement celebration will be taking my sweet time in the mornings, read the paper, and drink my coffee while I watch the first hour of the Today show.

I need to keep working on my rummage sale boxes. We have to have things at the church by Thursday so will probably take it Wednesday night. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow! It's hard to believe that March is almost history.

Jean -- from windy Iowa!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #13  

Looks like rain again here gals. I have clinic duty today so I imagine it will come pouring down right about the time I get in the parking lot. I will try and remember an umbrella just in case.

Kelly called last evening and asked if we want to go see Thomas in a play at their local performing arts center. I didn't even know he had auditioned. I looked at their website and it looks like he will be in "The Little Mermaid." How that boy finds the time to do everything he does! I can't wait to see him though. We are going to go to the afternoon performance.

Maggie: I am finding how ridiculous the price of greeting cards are. I have a great program I can use, but I never remember to buy the card stock cards I need to make my own. My dd works for a paper mill corporation, used to work for the biggest, International Paper, until they sold off some of their stuff. She now works for a Canadian based one and she says they continually shut down lumber mills and such so I imagine the price will continue to rise as the output of paper goods becomes less and less.

Jean: I probably could use a good closet clean out myself. Well, actually three closet clean outs. Jack's office needs cleaning up too and part of that is my fault. I have gotten in the habit of laying paid bills on top of the filing cabinet instead of filing them and now there is a stack and his closet is full of boxes I have kept to ship gifts to people. I also have clothes overflow in there that I need to switch out onto all those hangers I bought awhile back. Still haven't done that. We are going to shampoo downstairs carpets on Friday as Jack has it off and upstairs next Friday as Jack has that day off too. So, at least I will have accomplished that job.

Susan: I did get the whole downstairs cleaned yesterday and finished the fifth and sixth placemat completely while watching the Sopranos yesterday afternoon. I now have the green one started so I can knit on it and maybe even finish it at the school today if I don't have a lot of "customers." I will be glad when the darn things are done. I can go back and finish Jackson's little jacket and work on T's sweater then. I am debating about just tearing out T's sweater and buying different yarn. I don't like the feel of the stuff I bought. Seems too scratchy to me. If I do, I will have to decide on colors again.

Well, I need to run to the store and pick up something quick we can have for dinner tonight, get gas and go to the post office before I head out to the school later.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 03-31-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM   #14  

Good morning, ladies! Cooler today but the sun is out so I am happy.

Nothing going on today. I wrestled with the internet all morning at work. Finally got it cleared and working properly. I think we need a new router. That's always fun to set up. Not so!

Faye, maybe we'll see Thomas on tv acting in a commercial someday. He sure be good at it, as cute as he is. I by greeting cards at The Dollar Store or Dollar General - most are 2 for $1, a few are $1 each.

Jean, hope you weather has improved. We'll all be able to complain about the heat in another couple of months.

Maggie, I keep my house reasonably neat, except the sewing room, but it could use a good going over from top to bottom. I just need to start doing it. Housework is demoralizing because it is never done.

Have a good day!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 03-31-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #15  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hello everyone...letting y'all know that I'm still around on-line. I haven't posted because, well, between traveling back and forth to VA, my husband being retired, babysitting the grandkids, and catching this cold I have now, I've been kept busy. And there have been a lot of days I just didn't know what to say. It's like my fingers have been frozen and couldn't type...words. I know that sounds crazy...and maybe I am...but that is how it has felt.

The weight I lost while my Mom was in the hospital (and then passing away) I've kept off...not through any trying on my part. It's just stayed off. I eat but mainly just eat three meals and a snack. I don't eat a snack at night...and goodness gracious I certainly don't graze/binge like I used to during all those years that my husband worked the night shift.

I've been knitting...knitting socks mainly...Donna, are you a member of ravelry.com? That is such a cool place for knitters. If you are not a member...check it out.

Maggie, thanks for keeping me on your email list--I do open up and look at the pictures, the jokes, and whatever else you send my way.

Jean, your grandkids (and mine, too) are growing so fast! My youngest, Tyler, will be two years old in May! His favorite words are: "oh nooooo!" and "bubbles!" (said really fast).

Susan, I've thought of you often since you're not that far from Virginia Beach. I think of you quilting.

...actually, I do think of all of you at different times...Jean, I think of you when I do my laundry. Maggie, I picture you working on your glass houses. Donna, of course...you're knitting! But I do think of you all. And I don't mean to be so quiet and/or stay away for so long....
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote