3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias -- #14 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/166159-steel-magnolias-14-a.html)

Jean 03-05-2009 08:32 PM

Steel Magnolias -- #14

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a beautiful "spring" day here! The sun was shining, NO wind for a change, and it was 54 degrees on my way home from school. I guess it's back to winter weather tomorrow night however. It is crazy at school. I will post the website if anyone is interested. It would be so much easier of the girl would just take the test and be done with it.

http://siouxcityjournal.com/articles...700009cc99.txt

Lori has been in in-school suspension for "insubordination" while students who tell teachers to "f*** off" get no punishment at all.

"Gma" -- The ELDA testing is for students where English is not the first language and to keep updates on how proficient the student is in the English language. Once they get a certain grade they no longer have to take the test. The placemats will look so nice when you are finished. :D I hope Alicia will appreciate your work.

Maggie -- I didn't know about the fruit problem in CA. I look forward to the fresh fruit season. :T

I need to wash the supper pan. Bob wanted hash browns and smoked up the house. I bought a different kind by mistake and he had the burner too hot. Stinks!

Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow! I am ready!

Jean -- :wave: from Iowa!

gma22 03-06-2009 05:18 AM

Good morning ladies. The tree pollen is really bad right now so Jack and I have been sneezing our heads off and for me that means swollen adenoids so I am up early on that note. I can nap in the chair when I am finished here until Jack gets up.

I was a bit peeved yesterday. I live across town from Thomas's school and it was my turn at the clinic yesterday afternoon. I got ready, drove over there and you have to be buzzed into the school, which I was. I went into the office to sign in and the office secretary said I wasn't on the calendar to work. I told her yes I was, that I had signed up for my work slots for the rest of the year when I worked last week. She said one of the father's was coming in to work as he had been in that morning asking about it. Anyway, I told her I would go in and relieve Pat (T's other grandmother who was working morning shift) and if the guy showed up I would go home. He showed up half an hour late and I told him I would be glad to stay since I had already started working but he insisted I leave so let him take over! I left and met the PTA person who is in charge of this at the door of the school and she had the calendar I had signed up on in her hand. She apologized all over the place and said she hoped I wasn't inconvenienced (I think maybe the school secretary called her about it.) I just stood there and looked at her not saying a word. All in all, I was miffed when I left there but decided to do a bit of shopping to cool off, so I went to Target and picked up a few things.

Maggie: I imagine a lot of things will go sky high now with all the economic problems. I buy some fruits frozen as they are way too expensive to buy fresh. I get blueberries, strawberries and raspberries frozen usually, though they have fresh strawberries locally here so when they are in season buy fresh. I can get quite a lot of fresh produce here as they do grow quite a variety down here, strawberries, peaches, apples and when I go to Indiana they have fresh blueberries, strawberries and just over the state line in MI you can get fresh cherries, peaches and pears so I may go to the farmers market when I am up there next time.

Jean: I read the article and frankly, I am on her side. The test shouldn't be for students whose parents don't speak english but for those students who don't or didn't speak english and are learning. I don't blame her for protesting it, but the poor thing is not going to win this one. This needs to be dealt with on a higher level. As usual, the government jumps in with both feet before considering all options. I think, if her statement from the asst principal is accurate, that he is a jerk. She is being penalized for being honest when enrolling and this is going to backfire on the system as more and more students who are good students and have no need of the test are going to refuse to do so. I guess the lawyers are going to have to sort it out, but I just hope it doesn't injure her college scholarships. She loses credibility when she purposely screwed up the test a couple years ago.

You gals have a good Friday and great weekend. Tomorrow is commissary day, ugh! lol
Faye

Jean 03-06-2009 05:42 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been another beautiful day in my corner of the world! It is to change tomorrow however. School was a bit crazy today. The class who sponsors the coffee cart in the student center, promoted a "coffee house" day today. In years past it has been some singing and some poem reading from the hippie coffee house days. This year they had the electric guitar game, some trivia music contests, and colored rock star sheets. Teachers can take their classes down or students are allowed to sign out from study halls to enjoy the festivities. Some students did walk out in support of the Asian student, but I don't know if anything happened to them or not. I didn't see any police officers outside although one of the TV stations was there filming.

"Gma" -- I hope that allergies have settled down. Can you take anything that really helps? That is too bad about the clinic snafu! My guess is the secretary screwed up unless she didn't have a copy of the schedule that you signed up on. I probably would have stayed awhile just to be onery! :devil:
I love to shop at Target and don't get there very often. :( We made the front page of the Des Moines Register today, and again in the SC paper.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com I can't remember which paper it is, but they have given her three choices. I'm afraid it is going to be a "no win" situation. I admire her for standing up for herself, but she would have saved herself a lot of grief if she would have just taken the test correctly last year. :yes: Fresh fruit sounds so good right now . . . pineapple from Hawaii! :T

I need to get the laundry started since it is my day to work in the gift shop tomorrow. That will be ending soon since the hospital is moving the chapel into the gift shop and the more popular (cheaper) gift items will be displayed in the coffee shop. They want the gift shop people to work in the coffee shop and also sell gift items. It's not open on Saturdays and I was planning to volunteer during the week next year.

Have a nice evening and a great weekend!

QuilterInVA 03-06-2009 08:46 PM

Good evening, ladies! A beautiful warm day in the 70s today. Tree pollen is all over and I got my Nasonex filled today. Allergy season, yuk!

Did the dreaded grocery shopping today. Got fresh strawberries, blueberries, pears, and raspberries all on sale. Then Perdue boneless, skinless chicken breasts were on sale, buy one package get TWO free. Couldn't pass that up. I wrap them individually in Press and Seal and then bag them for the freezer. Went to Trader Joe's for nonfat plain Greek Yogurt and goat cheese and veggies. I made the Double Cheese and Macaroni (page 220) in the WW in 20 Minutes Cookbook for supper. It sure was quick, easy and good. I'll be making it again. I need to make Veggie soup and Split Pea tomorrow.

Faye, sorry things got messed up with the scheduling at the school.

Jean, I think the girl should have just taken the test. Now it sure is a mess.

Tomorrow is laundry and housecleaning. Didn't get anything done last week with the quilt show taking up all my time. Once I get my work done, I'm quilting the rest of the weekend.

I had quilting bee last night. Lots of fun because everyone brought the things they bought at the quilt show so we could see. I'd hate to tell you how much the 9 of us spent.

Have a good evening!

gma22 03-07-2009 08:29 AM

Good morning to you all! Today is commissary day so when I finish posting here I will get up and shower and get ready to go to breakfast then get out to do the shopping. I sure hope it isn't like it was last week. That was a total nightmare.

Jean: I don't know if I ever told you this before or not, but my mother's father had a brother, my uncle Hank, that married a polynesian woman and they lived their whole life together in Honolulu right at the base of diamond head somewhere. I did a search not too long ago and found a Hank Keb still in Hawaii, which I bet is his son. He would be in his 70's I imagine by now. If we ever go, I am going to hunt up some relation and see if they would be willing to visit. The last name is unusual enough that they are probably all related to me. When I was a little girl, they would come to visit every once in while and bring leis, wooden bowls and such and fresh fruit. That was way before the laws that discouraged that sort of thing. It was my first foray into the world of fresh pineapple. There is truly nothing like it, but like my mother, I am allergic to it somewhat as my tongue swells. It is never enough to cause me harm, but can be uncomfortable for awhile. I eat it anyway as I love it! lol

Susan: I beat you out as I bought all my fruit for the next two weeks when I went to Whole Foods. I will finish up the veggies and fruit at the commissary today. I have all my menus printed out for the next two weeks and any adjustments I am making for Jack, ie I am having turkey burgers but will fix him ground sirloin. Then the last two week in March I will fix and print out 2 more weeks of menus then just switch them all up so I don't have to do it anymore. I think I will be more successful this way as I have exactly what and how much to eat for every meal. I watched a FitTV show last night and darn can't remember the name of it, but it is Dr something or other and she was helping a woman with WW program tweak it a bit and such. She took her shopping and bought Greek yogurt for the woman. What is the difference? She said she loves Greek yogurt. I may have to look for it next time I am at Whole Foods as I haven't ever seen it.

Well it is almost 7:30 so I have to get hopping. It is already 65 and going to be near 80 today and most of the week in the upper 70's so I look forward to that. Capris and sandals here I come! lol

Have a great Saturday all!
Faye

Maggie 03-07-2009 03:14 PM

Sunny Saturday

A GOOD AFTRNOON MAGNOLIAS TO YOU :wave:

Hello to all on this nice Saturday afternoon. I slept in which felt so good. No neighborhood dogs barking so that helped. They delivered our new living room furniture yesterday. It is a regular length couch but both ends are built in recliners with the middle section stationary. Wills new chair is a matching recliner. The couch and chair are the color of coffee with lots of cream in it. The material is that nice micro stuff that is supposed to clean in a snap if you spill anything on it. My chair isn’t in yet but it is a wooden rocker that matches our dining room oak chairs and should be in within a couple of weeks. Our coffee table and side tables are of oak. Slowly but surely things are looking better. We moved the other couch and recliner downstairs. Who knows, we may have someone living down there if this recession doesn’t right it self soon. When we get our iron and brass bed we will move our existing one downstairs also. We already have the end tables that will go nicely with that bed.

JEAN That girl is quite stubborn and a negative attention seeker to the max. She should have just gone ahead and taken that test but that wasn’t in her plans it seems.

SUSAN Do they sell that Greek yogurt in regular markets? I sure hope you get your allergies under control.

DONNA Hope you find all you want shopping and the crowds are thin. That would be so neat if you could find your relatives in Hawaii. One of my cousins was once married to a Hawaiian and sent us those lovely leis and fresh pineapple quite often. Her father-in-law owned a huge pineapple plantations. My father went over there quite often for his job but I never went over there.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon. Type at y’all later. :wave:

QuilterInVA 03-07-2009 04:22 PM

Good afternoon, ladies! Can you say 80 degrees! My lawn man came and trimmed up some of the bushes this morning.

Greek Yogurt is thicker, smoother, and less tart than regular stuff. It doesn't have a bunch of additives in it, either. Some grocery stores carry the Fage, but it is expensive. I get Trader Joe's for half the price, but it's still a little more than store brands or Dannon, etc. For a treat, I get the little cup of honey or pomegranet greek yogurt.

Maggie, your new furniture sounds lovely.

Jean, hope you had some customers at the gift shop today.

Faye, you have a good plan in place. Hope the commissary wasn't too crowded.

Have a good evening and don't forget to turn your clocks ahead!

Jean 03-08-2009 01:49 AM

Good Night, Flowers! Just peeking in on my way to bed. We went to the prime rib dinner at church tonight, sat through an hour and a half of entertainment, went to Bob's office to send a fax, and then back here to visit for another hour. Bob has to sing at church tomorrow so tonights sleep will be on the short end. I am not tired but know I will feel it tomorrow! :yawn:

No customers at the gift shop this morning so I read magazines and watched people come and go out the front door. I could have been home cleaning or doing laundry!

Our weather is "iffy" as there was some ice crystals on the sidewalk. The storm watch was to start at midnight until 1 PM tomorrow, I mean today.

Have a super Sunday!

gma22 03-08-2009 07:49 AM

Good morning to you all! It is very balmy and warm outside this early morning but a bit windy. I imagine it will be a nice day. We will be homebodies today so if it rains my car won't get dirty. We went through the car wash yesterday with dark gray clouds everywhere, but it never did rain here.

Maggie: Enjoy your new furniture! We need a new recliner again. I have worn the one we have right out, but for now we will just continue to use it. The one thing I would love to have is the fancy pants washer and dryer that has the steam setting and all, but the darn things are anywhere from $1300-1600 apiece so I will be keeping my good ole GE until someone leaves me a bunch of money in their will.

Susan: I am going to have to look for that yogurt. The dr on that program said you could fancy up the yogurt any way you would like. The lady on the program liked vanilla yogurt so she told her to put her sweetener and vanilla extract into it. For some reason the commissary was nuts again yesterday, but we got everything we needed. Jack got mad because they only had paper bags not plastic and it takes so long to haul in paper bags to the house. They had give the self check out all the plastic bags because they were running low. He wanted to complain but I told him not to bother it would do no good so we checked out and got out of there. They are remodeling the frozen food section so the far side of the store is a nightmare to manuever. There is one aisle that is big enough for only one cart at a time as across the way they have it all boarded up and plastic and it is probably 6-10 feet wide and runs almost the full length of the store. When you get to the sliced and grated cheeses, the rest of the aisle is blocked off because they are tearing it out so you have to back out of the aisle. When you have tons of people shopping it makes it nuts. We survived though! lol

Jean: Sounds like you had a tiring day and partly boring one. You need to take up knitting for your hospital days! :) I am starting on the second placemat as I finished one a couple days ago. I need to get in gear since I have to make 8 of them. Maybe I will make Kelly some for her table for part of her birthday or their anniversary, which is in July.

Well gals, I need to go. Have a great Sunday and hope your day turns out fine.
Faye

QuilterInVA 03-08-2009 03:31 PM

Good afternoon, ladies. Spring has sprung, the flowers are blooming and people are out washing their cards and cleaning up their yards. 80 degrees again today. I have the windows open getting some fresh air in.

This has been a lazy day - last load of laundry and now I'm going to go quilt.

Have a good evening.

Jean 03-08-2009 07:10 PM

Good Afternoon . . . Evening whatever, Flowers! We got up to 'no' weather this morning, but last nights drizzle was still frozen on the streets and sidewalks. While we were in church it started to rain and by the time I got back home it was snowing. It snowed enough to cover the ground and now the sun it shining, it's 40+ degrees outside, and the snow is gone! I've done a couple loads of laundry and took a nap this afternoon. Daylight Savings Time has made me really tired! Of course I didn't go to bed very early last night either. :o

"Gma" -- There was just an article in our newspaper that is encouraging stores to go back to paper bags instead of plastic because they disintegrate faster when thrown away and are blowing in the wind. I think paper packs "neater" than plastic but I like the handles on the plastic and can carry more at one time. The remodeled commissary will be nice when it is finished. Change and progress, you know! :lol: I keep thinking I will make each one of my grandchildren an afghan using the afghan stitch. Of course that is after I finish all of the Christmas stockings! I'm still not finished with Amanda's and have had it going for years. I hate having to lay all the stuff out and then pack it up after I work on it so the cat doesn't rearrange everything.

Susan -- Wow! It sounds like summer in VA! The checker at the grocery store said she had flowers peeking through and was concerned about the winter weather we will get more of. The mixed up robin is still around and we see him on the bird bath quite often. I thought they only ate worms, but he must eat other things too. There are no bugs yet and the ground is still frozen. Our Santa will probably still be out front for Easter! :lol:

I'm off to do another load of laundry. Have a nice evening and a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

gma22 03-09-2009 07:11 AM

Good morning everybody! It is again warm and balmy here this morning. It clouded up like rain again yesterday, but we never did get rain. I don't know what we can expect today though.

Jean: When we went to the commissary on Sat, the trees were all flowered out beautifully. The interstate has a lot of dogwood trees and they have little white flowers so all the trees look like they have tons of snow on them. It was so pretty. Unfortunately, it stinks for us allergy sufferers. can take over the counter stuff if I have to, I just tend to neglect it. I don't really have everything bad enough to warrant prescription drugs, tests, etc. I imagine it won't be long and my one azalea bush will flower. The other one never has. I think they were planted when Kelly and Tom lived here so that was years ago now.

Susan: I have Jack back on WW and I have my menus and the recipes all printed out so I am ready to go this morning. I deep sixed anything not on the plan I am using so I am not tempted to eat it, but usually I am an all or nothing kind of gal. I either eat properly or all junk.

I guess I better get out of here. I am cleaning the downstairs today and working on placemats too so I need time! lol

Have a great start to your week!
Faye

Jean 03-09-2009 06:17 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been a foggy, gloomy, damp, cold day in my corner of the world today. :( I guess they are still talking freezing rain and snow tonight according to the grocery store checker after school. I hope we get enough to cancel school tomorrow! The kids were pretty much in zombie mode today as well as the teachers. I don't remember the time change being so hard!

"Gma" -- It's hard to believe that different parts of the country can have such different temperatures and weather at the same time. I know spring will get here eventually. :dancer: I hope the allergies weren't too bad today. Does it help if you don't go outside?

Not much else is newsy that I can think of anyhow. I need to start supper -- leftovers which is easy! :D Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow. There are 10 weeks, 3 1/2 days of school left in the school year . . . . in case anyone is interested! :) :jig:

gma22 03-10-2009 08:46 AM

Good morning gals! Another warm day today then it drops 20 degrees tomorrow. I will take it when I can get it.

Jean: I just suffer through the season. With me it doesn't matter whether I go outside or stay in. I didn't sleep at all last night so am like the walking dead this morning. I couldn't find the pills I usually take so I took a Benadryl, which worked but them make me sleepy. Put that together with being tired from being up all night and I am pretty bushed. I am going to get chores done and make my breakfast and then take a nap I think.

Got through my first day, but had to add one more snack to keep from binging. I imagine I will be able to drop it when my stomach gets used to less food. I have to do this as I can't continue to keep slipping back into bad habits and such. I have to get this weight off so I can live a normal life.

I need to get going since I am a bit later than normal. Have a great day!
Faye

Maggie 03-10-2009 10:34 AM

Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

Just a quick peek in and then we are off to Texas for a few days. It will be a quick trip though for it is more or less just a quick get away to keep our sanity. We are visiting some real good friends and certainly don't want to over stay our welcome. ;) We want to keep them as good friends. Anyway we will be back sometime Thrusday night. Every one stay safe and I'll type at y'all when I return. :wave:

PS I did show a 2 pound loss at WW last night.:carrot: