Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/114/105

Height: 5'0

Default Any other short girls out there? (5'2 or under)

I'm looking for any girls under 5'2 on the site that are also trying to lose or maintain their weight to talk to.

I feel like it is so much harder to look good being only 5'0 as the weight has no where to distribute LOL... and since I don't exercise much, I'm supposed to eat under 1200 calories to lose weight... but sometimes I can eat that much in one meal! I usually average around 1600-1800 calories a day but that seems to only help me maintain my already too-big figure.

So here are my main questions/concerns: what are typical daily menus for you/calorie count? What do you eat throughout the day? Does anyone else hate trying on clothes and getting dressed? where do you shop to find clothes that are flattering to shorter and heavier than society thinks short girls should be?

Feel free to post any comments you would like!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Do not eat under 1200 calories a day as you will be shortchanging yourself nutritionally. I lost weight eating 1200 -1400 calories a day. When I shop for pants I take a tape measure with me so I can get the correct inseam. I do not want to pay for alterations unless absolutely necessary, usually petites or sometimes short lengths are OK. As for other clothing I just try things on as sizes vary widely
Old 10-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #3  

Wow you have made such amazing progress-past your goal! I am so jealous! LOL. Congrats!

So you think by maintaining 1200-1400 i can still work towards my goal? whats a typical day for you food wise?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Another 5 footer checking in here. Yes, I feel the same way. I feel at only 5 feet tall there's just not many places for the fat to go. And I feel that being only 5 feet tall, I just don't have the same caloric needs as the average person.

As far as what I eat, I eat lots and lots and did I mention? - LOTS of veggies - I LIKE volume and veggies allows me to eat lots while staying at a lower calorie count. I also eat plenty of low fat protiens - no fat yogurt, chicken and turkey breast, egg white omlettes, tuna and salmon and other fish, beans every now and then ,etc.

As far as your calorie count goes, trial and error is the best way to know for sure what you "can" eat to get you a weight loss.

It's really important to add in exercise. You say you don't much. But doing so would really, really help you. This way you can burn off some of those calories.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-02-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I eat six times a day. breakfast, snack, lunch. snack , dinner , snack. I eat about every 3 hours, snacks are things like, non fat yogurt, laughing cow lite cheese wedge, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding, fruit or melon.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #6  
Watch... as I disappear!

S/C/G: 140/128/120

Height: 5'1"

Hey there! I'm barely 5'2, probably really 5'1.5"!

Anyway, the way I try to keep within my calorie needs is to eat lots of fruits and veggies like rockinrobin said. I also eat sporadically throughout the day. I usually eat like 8 times. They aren't really "meals". I'll have my biggest meal at breakfast and then wait about 3 hours then eat a one small snack, usually a/an (unsalted mix of nuts/tuna/pineapple chunks/small chicken breast slices/ or carrot sticks ) almost every hour to two hours...this constant snacking keeps me full.

I'm not saying that it will work for everyone, it kinda took me a while to figure out what my body would allow me to do!

Good luck!

Last edited by AllyN; 10-02-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

When I was losing weight I was eating about 1200 cals a day and I was exercising 6x a week. Since I haven't been counting calories I've stopped losing, but have been maintaining. Eventually I'll get serious again and go back to 1,200 cals a day.

Basically I ate low(er) carb and high protein, and no carbs in the evening. These are some of the foods I would eat:
ff soy milk
oatmeal
sweet potato
lean red meats
chicken
fish
fruit (in moderation, in the morning)
granny smith apple with cottage cheese (at night if I was still hungry)
all veg except avocado, peas, carrots, corn, potatoes

So for dinner I would have a lean meat and grilled veg, a stir fry or salad.

I don't hate getting dressed now. Since I've lost most of the weight I feel more confident about my figure. And, I feel I can wear more of a variety now.

I didn't allow myself to shop until the weight came off because I hated how everything looked on me. If I did buy something it was practical stuff aka boring stuff that fit.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hey, I am about 5'2". Like everyone else has said I have been eating lots and lots of fruits and veggies. I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks and I get some sort of exercise in 6 days a week. Usually I walk a mile and a half or do a DVD. I also use free weights 2 days a week.

Good luck!!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #9  

I can't weight to lose the weight, and then trying on clothes might actually be fun!!

Is doing 30 minutes of cardio 3X a week enough? What else do you all do for exercise?

I love my fruits and veggies too, but I have a weakness for cheese (all kinds), nachos, and all sorts of stuff. Usually my cravings change per day. How do you all fight cravings? I like the idea of a little laughing cow cheese to try and satisfy my cheese cravings...

For the people now maintaining, how much did you lose and how long did it take you to lose it? I started in early september and I am hoping to lose at LEAST 25 pounds by March.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/261/135

Hi, I am new too and I am 5'2". I hate being this short because I carry most of my weight in my stomach and it hard to look good in anything. I am not on 1200 cal. diet either. I am walking a lot and monitoring my portions. I would probably lose more weight faster if I was more strict on myself but I think if I do that I will end up feeling deprived and go on a binge. Everyone is different and it takes a while to find what is right for you, but I think anything UNDER 1200 cal can slow progress.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #11  

Yeah, I found that if i eat under 1200 i binge. But I'm just trying to find a consistency now. I'm looking for the certain amount of calories that I can maintain everyday rather than bouncing between high and low calories.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #12  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I'm 4'9" and I've never seen that as a disadvantage as far as weight goes. I will always be small. Even though I'm not obese people still constantly comment on how tiny I am. I've sorta thought of it as an advatage because even when I'm ridiculously fat I'm still a small person.

There is NO way I can buy pants that don't have to be altered, it just doesn't work. Even children's pants are too long for me (of course I can't wear them at this weight but when I could, they were too long). For clothes I really like Dillards, Macy's, Ann Taylor Loft, and Target. I don't buy much clothing but those are the places where I find things I like and that actually fit (only shirts and shoes at target).

I'm not counting calories but when I was I usually stayed between 1400-1600on my good days. I could lose on that if I stuck to it.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 10-02-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 194.5/184.5/130

Yes I'm 5'2"... I got all the short fat genes. My sister is 5'7 and skinny... even after 3 kids.

WW put me on 1000 calories a day... that was quite a few years ago b/c I wasn't losing weight but then I just stored more fat I start a 1200 a day plan next Monday so we will see how I do.

Amanda
Old 10-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #14  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolie4me View Post
WW put me on 1000 calories a day... that was quite a few years ago b/c I wasn't losing weight but then I just stored more fat I start a 1200 a day plan next Monday so we will see how I do.

This is one of my big issues with WW. They put people on ridiculously low calories!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #15  

well i wish you the best of luck amanda.

im still wondering what other types of exercise i can do and if 30 min 3 times a week is enough of it?

and im still having problems with cravings. any creative ways to avoid them?
Closed Thread