3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias -- #54 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/159174-steel-magnolias-54-a.html)

Jean 12-22-2008 10:10 PM

Steel Magnolias -- #54

Good Evening, Flowers! It is snowing . . . . again. We never got the last mess cleared away and more is on the way. :( We had a two hour late start today so there was no make-up time the last hour and a half. That really threw some of the kids into a tail spin. My thoughts are that they shouldn't have left unfinished assignments, etc., until the last minute. Who am I to talk? I'm the one scrambling to get ready for Christmas! :lol:

"Gma" -- I like to listen to the XM Elvis channel on the car radio and I heard where it was 16 degrees in Memphis this morning. I wasn't sure if it was "real" or they were a '60s program being rebroadcast. I guess it was real. ;) Congrats on losing 6.5 #s! :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer3:
:cp: :cb: I'll bet it feels good to have your house back to normal again. I am ready for that too. The hat is darling! You do come up with the cutest ideas. I'm sure Emma will love it!

Susan -- I've heard of the Death by Chocolate cookies and cake. :T You were wise to share them! I'm sorry to hear about your friend having lung cancer. Any cancer is bad, but that kind seems to spread so rapidly. Is your office closed until January 5th, or are you just taking the time off? You can get in a lot of quilting and love your cat time! Our kitchen, eating area, and small tv/familyroom area are all together so we can sit at the table and still see the TV. I try to turn it off while we are eating. What about glazed carrots for Christmas dinner? You could use fat free butter spray and just a dab of brown sugar. They are a bright color and good if you like cooked carrots.

I need to wrap a few gifts before I head off to bed. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- :tree: in Iowa!

gma22 12-23-2008 08:29 AM

Good morning to you all! I notice the furnace is on more than off so I imagine it is still cold outside. I haven't even put my nose out this morning. Jack left for work, but they always come home around noon on the day before Christmas Eve so I expect he won't be there long. I told him to call me when he leaves so he doesn't scare me to death walking in.

I paid bills this morning, did laundry that has to go into the dryer and unloaded the dishwasher. When I am done here, I will dust the downstairs, eat breakfast and watch the Sopranos (I never saw it the first time around and am now hooked on the reruns) then do my exercising and the upstairs I want to do. I will be done with cleaning until the weekend! Yeah!

I am going to look for a sauce to go over lamb chops. Kelly is having lamb chops on Friday and I want a sauce so thought I might scout one out, make it and take it over. If they want to put it on, fine, if not, fine. I am not a lamb lover unless it is cooked perfectly and have only had it once where I liked it and that was at the Bellagio buffet in Las Vegas. I thought if it tasted icky I could drowned it in sauce so I wouldn't hurt her feelings! :lol: I don't like that spoiled taste it can have. I don't like gamey meat taste either and sometime long aged beef in fancy restaurants will taste like that. I don't know how people can like it, but there you go.

This will shock everyone I know, but I am sending back two handbags I bought from HSN! :eek: They are pretty bags, but even huge by my standards so back they go. One is this pretty deep lavender leather ostrich look and the other is a cute navy alligator bag that is round. I got them on clearance, but they are way too big to carry around so I regretfully am sending them back. Maybe that is why they are on clearance!:)

Jean: Yep, it was 16 yesterday alright. The sun did come out for awhile though. I was bundled up all day trying to keep warm. I am back to square one having another durn cold so I felt kind of icky by afternoon yesterday. I am thrilled to have everything put away. My house looks less cluttered now. I would do well with minimalist furniture and stuff I think. Clutter drives me up a wall. Kelly is a clutterer so I imagine it is some deep rebellion against her mom's anti clutter campaign! :D

Susan: I sent you an email with a recipe. I am not sure it is right for the holidays, but it is a really good tasting slaw. The american heart association has some great veggie recipes and that is where I found this one along with "Faye's stuff," which they no longer have in their data banks. I am glad I am done with the hats and such but I sat down to work on my sweater and am having trouble figuring out where I left off! I gave up yesterday and will start again today. It is a dot stitch pattern and then a lace pattern down the middle so I don't want to have it screwed up as it is the front!:o I saw someone's user name this morning on another thread from the one we used to belong to. Her user was "Jello." She is the only one I have seen on here after everyone just disappeared.

I guess I should get in gear and get some cereal in me. Have a great Tuesday gals!
Faye

QuilterInVA 12-23-2008 10:39 AM

Good morning, ladies! Still cold here too. But the sun is shining and no snow.

Jean, The whole office is closed. I'm very happy to have the time off. Glazed carrots sounds great, thanks!

Faye, I love slaw so I'll make that recipe too instead of a salad. We aren't having a conventional Christmas dinner - Gloria lived in England for a long time and makes a wonder Shepherd's Pie so the carrots and slaw will be good with that. I love your ticker - you are only one pound more than I was. Keep up the good work!

Have a good day!

Maggie 12-23-2008 12:35 PM

Tuesday In The Heartland

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wreath:

It is chilly down in the 30's here (it is warming up and what that means is snow tonight) here this day and the snow has turned to a shiny iced covering which makes the light decorated homes look so good. We are going out tomorrow evening and have a look see all around the area. Last night at WW I showed a maintain ~ stayed the same which is so much better than a gain. However I did think it should have shown a loss but what do I know. I will just keep on keeping on and one day it will all be gone. AH I read this day that that WII thing a bob is putting folks in the hospital with torn ligaments and popped knee caps and other assorted injures. I guess some folks are using it a bit gung ho.

DONNA Did you open the snowflake? The reason I ask that is someone else said what you did and she hadn't opened it up. I sent one to a friend in PA and she sent me a picture of her Christmas tree with it hanging right there in the middle. She has a huge tree, she is raising her two grandsons while their mother is a soldier working for us. What is also neat about that is they have an airplane and her husband is teaching those boys to fly. That hat is a hoot. Little Emma is one blessed child to have you to make them for her. I get a chuckle about those huge bags ladies are toting about. I still use my little (according to today’s standard) Doney Bourke.;) That is, when I carry one, which isn't often now. For years I had to have one when I carried my shooter. Speaking of that, Will is getting me one which is like the one I have but much lighter. Not pink, though. Did you know they actually make pink ones now? He is out shopping now for the stuff to make to go with the ham our neighbor gave us. I don't think anyone will be coming over but if they do we will have enough to share. Depends a lot on the weather and if folks plans fall through they can come here. Left over’s will freeze well.

SUSAN That carrot recipe is so yummy. I also like steamed broccoli with a spray of Can't Believe It’s Not and just a few bacon bits that will cling to the flowerets. Someone brought some tiny muffins to WW last night and passed them all around. I asked "how many points?" She didn't know. I just looked at the leader. Then the gal said the whole batch was such and such amount of points so the leader said to count it as half a point. I just found that kinda odd.:dizzy: Enjoy your time off for it will just slip away from you before you know it. Don't you just love this time of year though. I don't have your snail mail address . . .I love the California naval oranges that we can get here now. They are so good. When I was a kid growing up out there on the Left Coast my sister and I always laughed at the pictures in books showing kids in snowy country getting oranges in their Christmas stockings. We had oranges growing in our back yard for petes sake and wouldn't want them in our stockings. And another thing, geraniums in pots on the windowsill. Those where huge bushes outside that snails loved to eat the leave. AH but when I got older I did understand.:D It's called SNOW and colder temps. Stay warm.

JEAN I know you are looking forward to your break. You know it isn't written anywhere that you have to decorate. Do a minimal amount and just enjoy the season. What we did this year is put those bright little lights on a potted Fica tree and a three piece little glass village on a table all lit up in front of the front window. I did hang a bell from the ceiling fan. Placed a potted poinsettia someone gave us on the end of the dining room table and scattered all the cards around it. A thing about potted poinsettias ~ my grandmother, out on the Left Coast, had a poinsettia plant climbing all up one side of her two story Victorian house. Gorgeous. I never had a potted one till I lived in snow country.;) That is the same grandmother that showed me how to open presents and peek. The two of us knew what every present was under the tree. That was our secret. You should have seen the look on my mothers face when I told her. Priceless. :tree:

Too Hip gotta go. Type at ya'll later. :candy:

Jean 12-23-2008 11:49 PM

Good Evening, Flowers! I am heading to bed shortly but wanted to check in here first. It was a nice day here -- sunny and "warmer" with no wind. I was done at school around noon and headed back to the grocery store to pick up what I forgot yesterday. Everyone else had the same idea I think! I spent the afternoon making snack stuff. Since we didn't make it to SAM's to buy the party mix stuff I decided to make some. Will give it all away as gifts. My feet are telling me they are tired of standing on the tile floor! PLEASE remind me around Halloween time next year that I need to get my rear in gear and not wait until the last minute. This is so nuts!

"Gma" -- I had to chuckle about you returning the handbags. They must really be big! I hope your cold doesn't amount to much and you are feeling better. I don't remember anyone named Jello; did she post here?

Susan -- Enjoy your break away from the office! What does Gloria put in her Shepherd's pie? I don't think I have ever had one -- at least not one that I remember.

Maggie -- Congrats on the maintain! As you said, that is better than a gain any day! I have so much Christmas stuff that I haven't put it all out for years. I have friends who decorate every room in the house and I can't help but think of all the time involved in putting it away. That never seems to be as much fun as getting it out. My problem was that Bob had the flu the weekend we had planned to put the tree up and that threw the rest of the decorating schedule into a funk. I'm sure that whatever doesn't get done, no one will notice but me.

I am going to bed! I still have a lot to do tomorrow -- mainly make salads, wrap gifts, and put away the clutter. Have a Merry Christmas if I don't make it back here beforehand!

Jean -- :ginger: from Iowa!

gma22 12-24-2008 08:32 AM

Good morning to you all! It is in the balmy 60's this morning and raining, raining, raining. It started yesterday morning and is still going at it. We were afraid it might freeze as it was in the 30's yesterday afternoon when we went out, but it is beautifully warm outside and is supposed to be that way the rest of the week. I think all of Jean's snow is rain down here.

Jean: No, Jello posted on another thread Susan and I were part of several years ago. One day it just kind of disappeared. No one posted and we didn't really know where everyone went. I know one of the ladies lost her husband suddenly and it wasn't long after that no more posts. That's when Susan moved into our little group. Lesson learned? You shouldn't let things gang up on you like that as it makes for lots of Christmas stress and you want to be able to enjoy it. I am not sure which it is, cold or allergies, but since the cold medicine didn't do anything to help much, I am going to try some Zyrtec and see what that does. I don't have a sore throat, just a tickle that causes me to cough my head off and it never goes into a sore throat, just that darn tickle. I do have allergies but they have never been bad enough to see an allergist. I may have to go that route if this continues to keep popping up though.

Maggie: I tried my darndest to open the snowflake, but couldn't get it opened so I thought that maybe it didn't open. Ahh well, at least I know now! :) We are having ham today only it is just a ham slice I am making with lowfat mac and cheese for dinner tonight. I actually love ham but I don't make it that often because of the sodium in it.

Susan: Sounds like you can have a grand time quilting with your time off. I have to sit down today and figure out where I left off on that sweater and get back to it. I hope you have a good time with your friend tomorrow. It is going to be quiet here at the Wilkinson's as we are going to be alone today and tomorrow. I think we will go down to the buffet for lunch, but I am going to stick to good stuff like salad, cold shrimp, maybe a baked potato or something. I don't go in so much for all the fatty stuff down there anyway. I like the salad bar as they have nice fresh pineapple, melon and strawberries and they have cold shrimp as well. My downfall is the Chinese food and their fried Chicken, but I can avoid that but filling up on salad stuff.

I hope everyone has a glorious Christmas Day and I am wishing you the very best in the coming year.

Faye :clause:

Maggie 12-24-2008 12:29 PM

Christmas Eve Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wreath:

It snowed last night and now it is warmed up some and it is melting. We are going out and about this evening to view the lights folks have decorated with. I do love this time of year. But I say that about parts of every season don't I. Will has the packet of equipment these days to help the folks in need that call for it. Everyone else is out of town. They didn't leave him any of the forms that have to be filled out in triplicate so he is scanning a used one and white out the information that is on it. Then he will use carbon paper. The "real" forms are of that carbon free paper that makes copies. You would think that they would have put some in the pack at the office, especially since they would all be gone. It is the police department that calls him because for those folks to receive the motel and food have to check in with the police station first which is good because they can do what screenig is reqired and all Will does is give out the goodies. The lady at the motel that they use told him this morning she would go ahead and sign the folks in without the forms but he wants to have good records so that is why he is making forms. I say, good for him. Because trying to play "catch up" is the pits. Tis the season when lots of folks are needing aid and we do what we can.

DONNA If you still have the snowflake ~ it opens from the bottom and doesn't completely open all the way up. Hope you do get that little tickle in your throat fixed. Have you tried Chloriseptic Spray it works for me when that happens. That can be most annoying having that tickle.

Will is in here trying to install a shelf right over me so I gotta go.

I'm back now. I have my "moose baby" on the shelf along with my clock. I'll put my weight loss group up there after I dig them out from their hiding place. I have Bearly Bear It All and Bad Habbit Rabbit. Bear has a red ribbon across his little body bandero stye on which I sew little metal golden stars for each 10 pounds I have lost. Rabbit sits in his lap. And my Thin Within doll sits beside them. My visuals.

JEAN & GLORIA & SUSAN A big Howdy to you and everyone have a lovely Merry Christmas. :candy: And lets all be loosers in 2009.

QuilterInVA 12-24-2008 02:02 PM

Good evening, ladies! 60 degrees and sun today!

The lost quilt block has been found! I have a bag I keep plastic grocery bags in to reuse. When I reached in today, out came the block! How I managed to get it in there, I'll never know. So that's what I'll be doing the next week - putting that quilt together and getting it quilted.

Went to WW this morning - down 4.3 for a total of 7 pounds. I have to say that about 2 pounds of that is due to weighing in this morning when I normally go to the Thursday evening meeting - but any way you slice it, I'm still down.

Made a Trader Joe's run and now I'm in until it's time to go to Mass tomorrow. Got the stuff for the carrots and Asian slaw.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

gma22 12-26-2008 05:32 AM

Good morning to all of you! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. We enjoyed our lunch out and I even behaved myself pretty much. I ate mostly salad and fruit, some cold shrimp and only a couple bites of chocolate cookie for dessert.

Susan: Wonderful! Congrats on the loss:cp::bravo: I started laughing when I saw the part about the quilt block because I changed handbags and found a pair of Savaroski crystal earrings Jack bought me in Vegas a year ago and could never find. I think I wore them once before I lost them. Glad you found the missing quilt squares though and in such an unusual place, too!

Hopefully, my cold is starting to break up now and I will be back to normal in a couple days. It is definitely a cold so I switched to Mucinex to get the congestion broken up and it seems to be doing the trick.

Have any of you ever seen the movie "Charlotte Gray?" It is about an English woman who goes to France and joins the French resistance when she finds out her boyfriend has been shot down inside France. It is a sad movie especially towards the end. It is beyond me how people still believe the Holacaust never happened.

Well gals, I need to get up and get around. Jack should be up in about half an hour to get ready for work and I need to figure out what we are going to have for dinner so I can do points for it.

Have a good one today! It is supposed to be in the 70's here today.

Faye

PS: (10:00 AM) Well, it looks like Jean was part way right when she said Jack would have me in a new car soon. Either I or Jack are picking up the new car today. Jack went to work this morning and the grand marquis started having transmission trouble so we just went ahead and got a pre-approval from the bank for the car loan and the guy at the dealership said to come pick it up today. Bummer, this is going to screw up my trip to Vegas I think! lol

QuilterInVA 12-26-2008 11:22 AM

Good morning, ladies! Cooler today, 43 degrees, but the sun is out.

I had a wonderful day yesterday. Went to Mass then to my friend's and we had a good day and stayed OP. I got up this morning with the scale down .4!

Today I have to vacuum and mop the kitchen and bathrooms. Oh, joy.

Faye, I hope your cold is clearing up. No fun this time of year.

Jean, we sang lots of the old Christmas carols during Mass yesterday - I thought of you.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a great day!

Jean 12-26-2008 03:12 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Yes, it is finally over! Start reminding me around the 4th of July that I need to get started on the Christmas preparations EARLY! I don't want to put in another pre-Christmas like I did this year! I spent all Christmas Eve day/night fixing food, cleaning, wrapping gifts, took 2 hours out to go to church with Bob and MIL, and kicking myself for letting everything wait until the last minute. It all worked out but man was I tired that night. I didn't sleep very well because I knew I had to get up and get going in the morning to finish. I sure couldn't have pulled it off without Bob's help! The weather was perfect; we had sunshine and 35 degree temps so the kids could go outside and run off some energy. The freezing rain forecast never happened so that was a blessing.

Today is very foggy and 44 degrees. I'm hoping we've had our "severe" winter weather and the rest of the winter will be milder. The snow is melting pretty rapidly and that is nice to see. Last night we cleaned up the kitchen and put the furniture back to where it belonged. Today I'm starting on the laundry so maybe I can get ahead of the ironing for once. I'm ready to take down the Christmas tree but just don't have the energy to tackle it today. I may round up the "extra" stuff I put out, which wasn't much but did add to the festive decorating in the bathrooms and entry.

"Gma" -- One thing about Iowa weather, if you wait an hour or so it will most likely change! ;) Our corner of the state has not had the ice and snow (although we've had our share) that the opposite corner has had this winter. I know one can be miserable with allergies so I hope that your's is a cold and you are feeling better. I had to chuckle about the new car, but am sorry that it is happening because of major problem with your old car. Tell us all about the new one -- color, kind, etc. Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Maggie -- We don't think as many people decorated with outside lights as in other years. Perhaps the cold weather had something to do with it, but in driving around there just weren't as many out here. I like visuals too! :D Several years ago, the super leader that we had handed our clear rocks/stones like the kind you can buy to put in vases or decorative bowls. Her instructions were to carry it with us and when we were tempted to eat something that was a red light food, we should hold the stone and count to 50 while thinking about the reasons we wanted to lose the weight. Hopefully we would choose not to eat the food at that particular time if it wasn't working into the plan for the day. I still have my little blue stone sitting on the shelf in my kitchen. Alas, the leader is long gone. :(

Susan -- When you were looking for your lost quilt block, what was I looking for at the same time? I'm glad you found your quilt block so you can finish the quilt. Are you able to quilt with your sore thumb now? Congratulations on losing 4.3#s! :cheer: I've often wished we could weigh in first thing in the morning even if we'd have to go back for the meeting later. Asian coleslaw sounds good! I haven't made that in a long time. My house is sticky from candy canes! A WW friend said there was a new flavor this year . . . Hershey's mint chocolate. I hung them on the tree which was a mistake for sure! I won't do that again next year. :no:

Well, I need to fold towels and start another load of laundry. For some reason there seems to be more this week than there usually is. Have a nice "rest of the day" and a nice weekend. Today seems like it is Monday!

Jean -- :wave: from Iowa!

QuilterInVA 12-26-2008 04:39 PM

Jean, you were looking for your school keys when I lost the quilt block. I'm putting the blocks together on the machine and then I'll do hand quilting when I get the brace off. I really like that idea with carrying the stone around. I'm going to look for a nice stone that I can decorate and carry in my pocket.

Faye, what a bummer to have to get a new car right now! I hope it doesn't mean you can't go to Vegas, too!

gma22 12-27-2008 03:55 AM

Good early morning! It is beautifully balmy here even in the middle of the night. My poor son and dil are dealing with solid ice streets. I am going to give them a call today to make sure all things are ok with them. I went to bed too early last night so here I am up for awhile I guess.

We are supposed to pick up the loan docs and the check for the car today. I just hope they are ready as otherwise I will have to go and get them on Monday I guess. Our credit union is clear out by the base so it is a drive and the bank is only open until 1 today so I hope they were able to get them ready. We are supposed to have lunch with dd and family since yesterday got all mucked up.

My new car is gorgeous, comfortable and has all the bells and whistles so Jack is happy. He played around with the thing all last evening. It has "sync" which means you can do something with your cell phone so it is voice activated from the car. I just bought a bluetooth earpiece for heavens sake that cost me $70 and now my car will call home for me and I can talk to people through the speaker system. {{{sigh}}} Men and their gadgets. We were hilarious last night though. We went to Target and got Lean Cuisine type meals for Jack for work for the next couple weeks, a case of bottled water and a few other things. Well, we get to the car and can't figure out how to get the back lift gate opened. We could get the window opened, but I had to get the owner's manual to figure out how to get the lift gate opened! :lol: It was like dumb and dumber in the parking lot. Another thing, Jack left me off in front of the store because I have been having knee issues lately. I told my dopey husband to park out away from other cars so it wouldn't get "dinged." Well he did, sort of. The man parked next to a cart holder! No place worse in the world to park. Jack is going to take a picture so I can post it. It is a beautiful red.

Susan: I finally got my ww cookbook and I got the binder style too. I was so glad and found some nice recipes I think Jack will like in them. I noticed some of the desserts were sort of heavy points I thought, but then who am I? We have ice cream treats for desserts because they are only 1 or 2 pts. Yeah, looks like Vegas is out this year, but that's ok. We did what we had to do and need to spend the $$ on the other car to fix it. Jack thinks it is a sensor that is causing the problem and not the transmission directly as he quit having problems driving home yesterday. He is gong to talk to one of the mechanics at work on Monday and see what he thinks. It won't be cheap, but a LOT cheaper than a new transmission would be. I have always loved the old carols and hymns, but they seem to be going away in a lot of churches, which is sad. They said what needed to be said better, I think.

Jean: As folks down here say, "that'll learn ya." We will start working on you in November to get started on Christmas stuff early next year. I cleaned up the last vestiges of wayward pine needles yesterday and since the stupid trash guys wouldn't pick up the tree, we took it out to the plant and disposed of it at the park so the birds could take advantage of the pine cones and such off it. I learned a lesson about the candy canes when T was little and I have cute plastic ones I hang on the tree now. Sounds like the family had a nice time though and that is good. You still have some work time off so enjoy yourself a little before tackling putting stuff away.

Maggie, Gloria, Gail, hope you all had a lovely holiday and are looking forward to the coming new year and a thinner healthier you!

Faye

QuilterInVA 12-27-2008 09:39 AM

Good morning, ladies! Heading for 70 degrees today!

Faye, I love a red car. When I got this car, I managed to hit the panic button and had no clue how to turn it off and had to sit in the parking lot reading the manual with the car honking. Embarassed for sure! The recipes in the new WW cookbook really look good. I'm going to make one everyday until I go back to work. I'll let you know what I think of them. The desserts are pointy but WW expects people to use their 35 WAPs to have an occasional dessert. They are now recommending that desserts and 100-calorie packs, chips, and stuff like that should come out of the 35 extra points. People were not getting in the healthy guidelines because they would rather eat a 100-calorie pack than have a glass of milk. I don't care much for sweet stuff like those recipes. I'd rather have a Slimabear bar for 2 points.

Today is tidy up the pantry and kitchen cupboards. You would think with only me here they wouldn't get messy but they do. I really need to get rid of some more plastic storage stuff, especially the big containers. I'm going to make some Garden Vegetable Soup today, too. I like to have that on hand.

Have a great day, ladies!

gma22 12-27-2008 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of our new suv.

Susan: I like a piece of fruit more than anything else for snack. I eat pretzels or something like that, but I try to get my fruits and veggies in since that seems to be hardest since Jack is sort of veggie phobic. He is working on it though and that is all I can ask.