Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #16  

Good evening, ladies! Yesterday was a beautiful day - high of 77 degrees (perfect for a wedding); right now it is 47 degrees after a high of 51 today. What a change.

The quilt has gone to its new owners. I was sitting with 2 other couples I know at the reception and the wives wanted to see the quilt. Knowing it was going to Germany shortly, they wanted me to go to the gift table and get it back. I told them if they did I'd show it to them. So we all crowded into a tiny bathroom (under the stairs) so they could ooh and aah over the quilt, then we wrapped it back up and put it on the table. There was a man waiting to use the bathroom - the expression on his face was priceless when 3 ladies came out of that small bathroom.

The wedding was absolutely beautiful, like story book. The service was in German and English. Some of the grooms family came from Germany. The reception was at an old plantation that is now a bed and breakfast inn. While we were waiting for the bride and groom to arrive, there were wonderful appetizers served. Scallops, Shrimp, baked Brie, other cheeses and crackers, toasted bread rounds with artichoke and cheese, marinated tomatoes, or hummus for toppers, strawberries, honey dew melon and fresh pineapple, open bar. The dinner was a buffet of chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese and spinach, beef tenderloin, crab cakes, roasted vegetables, asparagus, broccoli, pasta with cheese, mixed spring greens with creamy basalmic dressing, rolls and butter. Of course, the wedding cake was the dessert. One layer was pumpkin spice and one was lemon with raspberry filling. There was also 2 kinds of cheese cake and apple crumble cake. It was delicious. One of the men in our group asked about reservations for a room or just dinner. Dinner reservations for weekends are all taken up to June. Rooms are all rented for 6 months. You can have dinner during the week with only 4-6 weeks advanced reservation. There were 200 people at this reception and it wasn't crowded. I doubt I'll ever get to such a beautiful wedding. The groom's gift to the bride - a red Viper convertible that will be shipped to Germany. It was delivered to the church while the service was going on with a big bow.

Well, now that quilt is done and I can get back to the Winter mystery. That has to be done in 3 weeks. I always work better under pressure. Once that is done, I'm tearing the sewing room apart and completely redoing it. I have to get things sorted out so I know what I have.

Faye, I hope you get well quickly. We have a lot of bronchitis going around here.

Jean, I'm glad you enjoyed the concert.

Maggie, I'd love to see your houses.

Have a good evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #17  

Wow! It sounds like it was a beautiful wedding and reception! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself; I love to go to weddings and just people watch. Have a good day at work tomorrow.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:29 AM   #18  

Good morning to you all! Still under the weather, coughing my head off, but it is breaking up so I imagine I will be good as new in a couple days.

We had a nice visit with the kids and Kelly liked her gifts, thank goodness. I would be able to tell if she didn't. I bought her this pretty thin silver cuff bracelet that says "A daughter is a little girl who grows up to be a friend." I just loved it and thought she might like it. It came with free sterling silver ball studs, but she may not be able to wear those if they have any nickel in them. I checked the website, but it doesn't say nickel free or not.

Susan: The wedding sounds wonderful and very beautiful. I am sure the bride with have a good time driving the Viper on the Autobahn! lol I can just see you three ladies stuffed into that little bathroom undoing the present to look at it. Amazing the snooping skills women have! lol

Jean: We have a dog that is a barker somewhere around here too. The puppy across the street used to squeal all the time like it was hurt and listening to that was upsetting because I didn't know what was going on. I tried to peek and see to make sure, but couldn' t ever see anything. I am sure you will find the birthday card and Ian will have a grand birthday. Our 36th wedding anniversary is tomorrow, but with the way I feel, I imagine we will be staying home this year.

Maggie: We have this guy across the street with this old cadillac that comes down the street with the music blasting so that the speakers in the car cause the house to thump. Unfortunately, it is within times where you can't do much. I keep hoping they will move, but we could get something worse in there so...

Well gals, I am going back to my chair and lay down for awhile. Take care today and stay warm.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #19  
Thin Within

Default Moody Monday

GOOD MORNIN MAGNOLIA FRIENDS

Tonight is weigh time and I don't think I have lost an ounce. I don't know whay I was thinking this past week but it wasn't about program. Anyway that is past and this week I promised myself to regain my FOCUS I am going to pick out a color scheme for my next bulding after I get off here but I want to sip my coffee first before I get going with glass.

SUSAN I would be happy to email you some pictures if you would PM me with your address so you could see a few things I have made. I got a hoot about your little crowded bathroom episode. I can just imagine the three of you in there.

DONNA I sure hope that cough does abate soon. That can make one miserable. What a neat bracelet.

JEAN Maybe you can designate a certain place to keep your cards in the future ~ makes sense to me. I keep mine in a tupper container on a shelf and that works for me.

OOps gotta go ~ COMPANY.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #20  

Happy Monday, Flowers! It's windy, cold, dark, and gloomy again today. School was ok after I found my "stuff" that I left for the sub. The dumb bunny left all of my folders in the sub file in the office. I'd left it on my desk and figured I would find it there. She left no notes and took no math notes which really makes me wonder about her!

"Gma" -- I hope your cough is gone soon and you are feeling much better. Happy Anniversary a day early!

Maggie -- I do keep my cards together, but now I'm wondering if I bought cards for Kolby's April birthday and thought I had Ian taken care of too. I was so sure I had cards for both.

This is short and sweet because I have card club tonight and Bob just came home for supper. Guess I had better get a move on! Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #21  
Thin Within

Talking Hip Hip Horray

BACK TO BRAG

I didn't show a gain after all but lost 1.8 to bring my total back to 65.4 as my total loss. I bought a set of those new stainless measuring spoons at the meeting tonight which will make it easier to measure hot foods for sure. And my new crochet table cloth arrived today and it great. Got it on the table and by the time Tanksgiving comes around it will have "relaxed." They had it folded nicely in a zippered plastc container. I will certainly order the next size up later on that will fit the table with two leaves in it. So now I have one that fits with no leaves and with one leave. You can tell I am a happy camper this day.

Type at y'all later

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #22  

Good morning, ladies! Don't know what happened yesterday, I was very busy at work and had Bible study then came home and went to bed and read for awhile.

Faye, Happy Anniversary! I would have been married 36 years last June 16. Do you sometimes feel you have always been married? I did. I hope you are feeling better! The bracelet sounds lovely, I'm glad she liked it. I can't wear sterling silver - in a very short time it is black.

Jean, I hope you find the lost card. I do stuff like that all the time. Did you have a good time at card club?

Maggie, Congratulations on the loss, you are doing wonderful! I'll PM you.

Have a good day!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #23  

Hey, ladies. I just got this in my Real Age newletter and thought it might be helpful for Faye - and the rest of us.

NOVEMBER 18, 2008 Provided by RealAge.com
Sweet Home Remedy for Coughs
100% of users found this article helpful.
If a nagging cough is keeping you awake, and cough syrup doesn’t help, there’s something in your kitchen cupboard that might: honey.

It’s been a favored home remedy for sore throats for decades, and now new research shows it’s more than wishful thinking. It really can silence nighttime hacking.

A Little Does a Lot
It may not take much honey to do the trick. In a study of kids, a small dose of buckwheat honey -- 1/2 to 2 teaspoons, depending on age -- was enough. (Caution: Never give honey to a child who’s not yet a year old, because there’s a risk of botulism.) And many doctors recommend a bit of honey for adult patients, too. Try it with tea and lemon for extra throat lubrication. Bonus: Honey is a great source of antioxidants.