Old 11-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #16  

Good morning to you all! Thanks for all the good advice. Kelly emailed me yesterday and doesn't want to upset the apple cart too much because she and her brother are finally getting along so we put our heads together and decided to cater in the whole shebang, but when it came to clean up, all of us are going to gang up on those two. She suggested assignments so Jack's assignment when I signal it is time to clean up is to tell Jay to help him clean up the throw away paper stuff (we aren't using china either this year) and haul out trash, we are going to give dil the job of bagging and boxing leftovers, Tom and Kelly will load their dishwasher as they know how it should be done and I am going to clean tables, counters stoves etc and help with any dish drying of stuff that won't fit into the dishwasher. Thomas will be in charge of the baby while we are doing it all. We shall see how that goes. I have always totally agreed it isn't right that everyone not help. Funny thing is, they certainly do it when her parents are at their house and have some get together.

Susan: It was super warm here yesterday. I went up to take a shower and the dang shower head broke off right in my hand....{{{{SIGH}}}} It always seems to happen to me! Jack was miffed at me when the spout broke off the tub last year so I thought he would be mad, but he just laughed. He said the stuff was the original fixtures so it was bound to happen sooner or later and when I reminded him he got mad at me about the spouts (it happened with both tubs acutally) he apologized. So, we had to go out last night and buy a new one and get a pipe wrench. Now Jack can fix some of the little plumbing issues! YEAH! We now have completely new fixtures in the hall bath since having the plumbing issue fixed last month. I also got the kind of shower head I wanted, a hand held one, so I can wash the shower tiles down easier. Best of all, Jack likes it and isn't grousing about the amount of water pressure it puts out. He likes to be beat to death when he showers!

Jean: Well, I found out yesterday I have more handbags than hooks to put them on. The things I bought are cool though. They are stretchy nylon strapping and hook over the top and bottom of the door with the hooks being able to slide up and down. I had enough for 32 handbags and have 3 handbags left over! Ahh well! Jack said he was sure I had at least 60 handbags.... I also put all the wrapping paper and ribbon and such in the quilted holders I bought so that mess is more orderly. I am working on sweaters today, separating those I want to get rid of, those I want to put in space bags and those I want to hang on the new hangers when they get here. The lady said they are delayed until the first of December! I can then drag up the two wooden shelving seats and rearrange all that stuff. Maybe sooner or later I can get into Jack's office and do a rehaul there. It is a total mess, not all of which is his fault.

Are you going to vote morning or after work? We are going when Jack gets off work and I dread it. Don't know how long the lines will be.

Everyone have a good day. I am off to start morning chores then do my cleaning and then start on sweater sorting.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #17  

Good morning, ladies. Rainy 61 degrees here.

I voted this morning. I was in line for 1 hour and 23 minutes and had to park 1/4 mile away. The turnout is amazing. I'm really glad that people are getting out and voting, even if it isn't the way I want it to go. My precinct is pretty much Republican so it will be interesting to see the final vote. We didn't have any issues or local offices to vote on, just president, senate and congress. My biggest wish is that everything goes smoothly and there aren't any "incidents."

Jean, I did quilt all weekend and I'll be doing that this weekend, too. I have a lot to get done by Nov. 15 (the wedding). I finished piecing the top and will put the borders on tonight. Then tomorrow I'll get it layers and pin basted so I can start quilting Thursday. Should have the binding on by Sunday night.

Faye, my home office is a mess and I have no one to blame. Mostly papers that need to be filed (which I hate doing). I'm off work the week between Christmas and New Year's and I'm wading in then. I'm actually thinking about getting myself a full size bed and moving into the sewing room and moving my sewing room into the master bedroom. It would be nice to have the extra space. I'll just have to think on that for awhile. One of my friends moved her sewing room into the living room and got rid of all the furniture. She says they only used the family room so the living room was a waste. I wouldn't go that far. You solution for Thanksgiving sounds like a good compromise.

I might have already told you this, but I'm getting together with another quilting widow and we are having a sew-in that day and eating tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches and cherry pie. Neither one of us wants to be the "poor widow" third wheel at any family celebrations. She does have a daughter, but she just moved to Texas. She doesn't like turkey, I do. If the turkey breast are on sale, I'll get one and cook it on Friday.

The leaves have finally started to turn colors. I still have buds on my rose bushes. The first year we were here, it was so warm on Thanksgiving we grilled steaks and ate outside.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #18  
Thin Within

Default Voting Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MY MAGNOLIA FRIENDS

I fixed (hopefully) an irritaing computer problem this morning then we went to vote just before the lunch crowd got out and were able to walk right in and no line. They said the rush was horrific this morning before 7:30 even. It is good to see so many out exercising their right as being in ths country and voting. I got my locks trimmed by my favorite girl after voting then off to Barba-Cutie for a great smoked turkey sand. After that to Wal-Mart for bread, milk and sodas. Now you see I am home typing at my computer.

DONNA I breathed a sigh of relief when you decided to have your meal catered in and have your helpers lined up. Folks do need to give you some sack this year and maybe next year you may feel more like doing the deal. I have to do mine in incriments or crash. But I get it all organized and do everything I can a couple days ahead and only have the turkey to roast and the dressing, potatoes and gravy to make on that day. We are going to use the nice seasonal paper goods and have folks fill their own plates in the kitchen. I will have the rolls & butter and condments on the table.

JEAN Do you get a long weekend off during the holiday? Decided where you will spend turkey day have you. I hope Bob doesn't get stuck in the mud out there. I agreed with your advice to Donna about turkey day sdidn't have to put in my two cents worth. You put it so well.

SUSAN I am so happy for your having so many quilter friends. It is neat that so many ladies are doing that still for it is part of the fabric (no pun intended )of this country.

EVERYONE ELSE Have a nice day unless you get a better offer.

Type at you'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 11-04-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The clouds have rolled in and the wind continues to blow. There's no point in raking leaves nor trying to blow them since the wind just undoes it faster that one can do it. It seemed like a long day today. I was awake at 5 so got up and got ready for school. The reading class was a challenge today and the special ed. director came to observe. She got an earful and spent the entire time writing notes. Today she could have my job and I wouldn't care. The teacher is worried about her job because they have told her to shape it up or she won't have a contract next year. Her other classes are fine, it's just this group of yahoos who delight in being disruptive as possible.

"Gma" -- I voted on my way home from school. I was #552 and didn't have to wait only to sign in and mark the ballot. I'm sure there will be a line after people get off work at 5:00. I think your Thanksgiving plan should be very workable! Your closets and cupboards will be so organized when you get all of your hangers, etc.

Susan -- You will be a busy quilting gal this weekend! I'm glad you have plans for Thanksgiving. The first holidays without loved ones are always hard. I never minded the kids not coming home for Thanksgiving as I thought it was kind of silly to do two big meals on one day as they all have to work on Friday. They go to the "other" side of their families so get the turkey and trimmings too.

Maggie -- Several people have mentioned that they fix their turkey a day or two ahead and then just warm it up on T. Day. I never seem to have enough room in the fridge. If it is cold enough I have put things like relishes or salads out in the garage. I run out of oven space and have used a roaster, but then have it sitting on the counter needing to be washed. We get out at 11:30 on Wednesday before Thanksgiving and also have Friday off.

It's almost time to call my "mom" so I'm off. Bob has a meeting at 5 and it is his night to cook. He is going to call when he gets done and we will meet wherever. Have a nice evening and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 11-04-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote