New Beginnings - Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey

You're on Page 7 of 10
Go to
  • Hi, Yep MY official wi and down 6! I just made some of that good refried bean soup with the black beans so I have my soup fopr a few days. I worked out yes in a class and I am sooo sore today. It is a good sore but no way could I workout today.

Derry that sounds like a great idea..I know for communions and the like I always order my cakes from a lady that does it at home since I hate the cakes in stores. I love homemade cakes. Paige I hope something works out for you.

I will caht later Barb
  • Hi all...

Working for yourself when you are in the food industry is so much easier said than done!!!!!!! Believe me, I've gone over it in my head a million times. In NY (and in most states) in order to sell items that are baked from home, you have to have a completely seperate kitchen from your every day use. Our house is on a very small lot, so we don't have room to build on; we are using all of our bedrooms, and we only have a crawl space for a basement. It is a huge, huge, huge, HUGE risk to do things like place ads, or even sell to people that you don't know. If the health dept ever came knocking at my door....or WORSE, someone decided to sue me over something, it would be putting my family in jeopardy. I can't incorporate my business if I don't have the properly licensed kitchen. HOWEVER, I have been toying with an idea for a little while, and now I think may be the time to jump at it. I am thinking of starting a dessert truck! It would be similar to an ice cream truck or a "roach coach," but I would sell items like cupcakes, cookies, pastries, muffins, coffee, etc. I could get a used mobil kitchen that has my oven, workspace, etc and license that. I have a call into the health department to see if that would fly, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I personally think the whole dessert truck is a great idea. I wouldn't have the overhead cost of a regular bakery, and if I go to a location that isn't profitable, I just go somewhere else. With a bakery you have to rely on people coming to YOU, but with a truck, YOU would come to THEM! I was also thinking of trying to sell some items wholesale to a few eateries in town that don't have a dessert line. So the problem with starting any business is...where do I get the start up cash?! Again...where can I apply for a bailout plan?!

I'm trying not to be too worried about everything; things always seem to work out.

I have definitely had a lot of odd feelings floating around in my head, though...my eating was off yesterday and today. I'm not going to let it be an excuse tomorrow, though...I'm going to be right back on track.
  • I'm glad you are thinking, Paige. A dessert truck could work in some places, it's so hard to know where, though.
    I remember that NY state law, when we lived in New Windsor NY, years ago, the man who purchased our house actually built a separate kitchen into one half of the two car garage and kind of sealed it off from everything else in the house. He added an in-wall AC unit for hot weather.
    I guess it worked out OK for him.
    I'm trying to think about where a dessert truck might be a success and the only place I can think of is a well populated public park of some kind where people go for lunches or to walk dogs and things like that? Baseball games? Community events like fairs, craft shows, etc.

I wish you the best, Paige.

I am trying to have the same kind of attitude that you have, Paige, that it has to all work out, somehow.
    Another thing that could work for you if you want to try to stay where you are a little longer, maybe just the two days a week that was offered is a babysitting co-op? Maybe there are other moms like you out there who can't work part time jobs with hours that have been cut as they child care is more than they make, so something like that could work if it's the right person and you feel comfortable.

Now, as for me, I started yesterday with a positive attitude. I did go on my treadmill and I started a journal for the first time in ages. Yet, it all fell apart by the end of the day.
    I need to get back to it again today and try.
    One of my problems is that I can't decide what I want to do right now, the old CORE or the old FLEX. I've yet to go back to a WW meeting to get the new program, so what I have is the older ones. I just don't know what to do, but I know I want to do something.
    I'll get there. Coming back here each day and talking about it is a very good start, at least. It reminds me that I want to do this, even if I fall off the wagon by day's end.
  • Hi all....Paige...since you're thinking mobil.....have you thought about fairs and festivals? People will pay anything at those!!LOL I know I do when normally I'm kind of a tight wad!!LOL!! anyway I gotta go I can't concentrate..my dog is barking,my DD keeps asking me questions, DS is whiny,and DH keeps wondering why I'm typing so much.......sometimes I wonder...You know I'd like to just go away to a spa....by myself for a whole weekend....... like atleast 1000 miles away.....LOL!!!!
  • Happy Monday to all. I thought I'd give you all an update as to my daughter's plight in a college dorm. You all may recall that she was going to WW meetings with me and I was stressing about her weight for a long time. I've had to let go as she lives away at college. Yet, while she has been home over this semester break, she's kind of had an epiphany of sorts? She's really put on weight since going away to school, it was really heartbreaking for me to stand by and keep my mouth shut, but I did for the most part.

My daughter and I purchased a book for her called "The Dorm Room Diet"

http://www.amazon.com/Dorm-Room-Diet.../dp/1557046859

She has read this book and is feeling so much better and there are some fantastic ideas there for her. She has been very unhappy with the food choices offered at the cafeteria in her school. As a freshman, she is required to buy the "full" meal plan at her school, so she is kind of required to eat there all the time. Yet, the food is poor and choices are often high fat.

We are going back to the college on Friday to move her back in as semester break will be over with. We are "armed" with a few different thoughts to help her this time, we hope.
    One thing she learned from this book is that she has to kind of think outside of the box when it comes to eating dorm food. But, it's something we can all learn from, I think, which is why I decided to share this today. She had a "light-bulb" moment when she read an idea that she could order "side orders" to make up her meal. Often the fruits, veggies, cottage cheese, side salads and things like that are there but you have to order a meal to get those things, but you CAN order them all as sides. She could have three or four sides instead of one high fat meal. So, if you go into a place and see that you want certain foods, try to find different ways to get what you need. This is probably something we all have kind of known, but for her it was an eye opener.

We are teaching her to shop in the cafeteria. To go there with her meal plan debit card and a tote bag. She can pick out individual yogurts, fruits, bottled water, and things like that to bring back and put in her refrigerator. She is also going to make a request at the college (they allow anonymous index cards with ideas on a bulletin board which is good, at least) that they make fruit and veggie trays as well as offer low fat yogurts. We hope they will try.

We bought her a small cutting board, a paring knife and zip lock bags so she can go to a grocery store and buy veggies and prepare snack size bags of them. We will shop for individual sized cans/containers of fruits and veggies and things like that. Also I'll buy her the Laughing Cow lite cheese, which I know you all know about. She can have low fat crackers or Melba Toast with those cheeses and get fruit and a side salad from the cafeteria for a very good choice. I'm going to see if they have low fat salad dressings, if not we'll buy her a few of her own.
    Also, my WW leader once told me that she was in a pinch for a meal while out shopping for the day. All her choices were "bad" fast food and pizza places in the area. She was starving. So, she went into a grocery store and purchased one of those bags of pre-cooked boneless chicken (Perdue) and a bag of green salad (already washed and prepared). She found some low fat salad dressing and happened to have plastic forks and napkins in her car. She added the chicken and dressing to her bag of greens and sat in her car with a very healthy and filling lunch. Where this is a will, there is a way! My daughter could buy the bag salad and chicken too for her dorm, why not?

So, there are ways we can cope with being confined to small spaces like dorms and not having the ability to cook. I brought that part up as we are all often just busy and not having time to prepare things, many have jobs and need to make better choices. We have to think different. I was thinking about how when I used to work people passed around menus from various places and had food delivered. It was all too tempting and it was so hard to deal with. Imagine being in a dorm with tons of young people and the junk food that shows up there. Yikes!

I sure hope my daughter does better. I don't want to have to buy her more plus size clothing while she is away at college. She needs to get control of this on her own as I am not there to prepare her meals and look after her. I feel this book educated her a great deal. She is happier and looking so much better already from when she arrived home before Christmas. I hope she can carry on some good habits in the next semester. She has to want this for herself.

By the way, she is embarrassed to use the wonderful gym at her school as she says "all the jocks" go there and she is embarrassed. I find that sad as we pay a great deal for tuition and she should feel comfortable taking advantage of the great things her college has to offer. I hope she finds other ways to get activity. She mentioned organizing a few dorm floor "dance parties" and that was fun, so I hope she can figure out other ways to get in activity. I think if she can go with a few other friends perhaps it will not be so daunting?

Hugs,
    Linda in NH
  • Hi all Happy Monday..... dreading today...I have to go and TRY to get this couch and chair torn apart...today is supposed to be high 30's and that's the warmest for all week...I think by Thursday they said we would have "ARCTIC AIR" coming in and the temp is going to be in the negatives....Tuesday and Wednesday is going to be in the teens..........Lord do I dread this week...atleast I have that awesome Ready Heater to keep me warm,but also to give me a blasting headache,I guess because of the kerosene,plus it's loud....if you close your eyes you can almost imagine being at the rear of jet or rocket getting ready for take off!!Anyway...I wish I had someone here to help me get it done and in a hurry so I could be in the basement tomorrow cutting all the new out...........Sometimes I wish I was Sabrina the witch,then I could just wiggle my nose and it would be done!!LOL!! Anyway it's late DS just got up and I better get my sorry butt over there!!talk later!
  • Trysh, I hope that heater is safe. Your description of it sounds scary to me! I'm sure you would check it out to make sure before using it, right?
    Just so you know, I have a small heater that is fabulous and supposedly energy saving. It's electric and looks like an old fashioned radiator and it oil filled. I love it and feel safe when I use it. Perhaps you might want to look into those?

I wish I did live near you as you might be able to give me guidance to reupholster two "wing" chairs I own that used to be my grandmother's. They are in need, but I am afraid to start as I am the master when it comes to UFOs (Unfinished objects). Oh well.

At least, all the activity you describe sounds like physical work and it can contribute to weight loss? That is a good thing!
  • Hi everyone.. Derry, I remember those days in the dorm. I never ate that food. It was gross and I moved out the next year because of that. However I was not a big eater back than either. I remember one thing we use to do so we would not continue eating.. We would dump a bunch of salt on on meal so we would not sit and eat while chatting with our friends. It helped and was not being wasteful we were just trying not to eat a bunch of the junk. Once you start it is hard to stop.

I also need to wing chairs done.... I was wondering if it was even worth it to take in or cheaper to buy new???

Worked out today!!!!! Have ANOTHER cold ARGHHHH I worked one week and I am sick again.. I swear I was my hands so much that by Thursday they are raw.. I think next year my immune system should be built up. I am at a preschool so I am catching it all.

So far so good for the diet. Yes I made some no knead bread.. OMG it was easy and delis.... I had to try it!! Sop I did have carbs.. It was made with ww flour nd water, salt and yeast that was it Yummy... Paige I have a ? regarding yeast. I need to get the recipe though and than ask you.

Today meals
    break- shake
    snack
    string chees and almonds
    lunch-- with DH chicken on salad
    dinner --Soup

chat later Barb
  • Barb, I want to hear more about the no knead bread, so you need to post the recipe here and then ask Paige!

I did a bit better yesterday. I got on the scale and almost dared to think I might have dropped a pound. Will re-weigh myself today to see if it's really true.
    I took the time to look up WW meetings on their web site today and maybe I will go, we'll see.

Very cold here this morning, I have to watch it as that always makes me want comfort foods.
  • Hi everybody and happy Tuesday!! Well we were supposed to get a atleast a hazing of snow here last night and it didn't even rain!!lol! It must have dried up and fizzled away by the time it got to Somerset!!....
    Anyway if it's gonna be this cold I want some snow man!!!!!!!!!
    Linda~The Ready Heater I use is safe I know you have seen them...they look like a tube,red in color,the kerosene tank is underneath the tube that produces the heat, some of them are on wheels and you have to tilt them up to roll them....we got it when DH used to trim houses out for a guy he worked with because it always seemed it was in the middle of winter when it was time to do the trim...which is usually the last thing...but it is awesome just loud and a little annoying........we thought about getting a kerosene heater to use after I got it warm in the garage with the Ready Heater...them stupid things are outrageous........And on the wingback chairs this is goes to djmommy too!! You'll probably need about 6 yards per chair of fabric...add a yard if you get a fabric with a pattern on it like stripes,plaid(here alot of people use plaid on these chairs for some reason,but it is pretty) Or just any print that would have to be matched up or lined up on the chair!!
    Recovering is really easy...it's just having the right tools to take the old off and put on the new....plus usually there is usually sewing involved also...I didn't take classes...I just started doing it and I marked every single piece that come off as in what order it came off the furniture.....now I usually just mark the right and left sides and which way is up...and usually on the new fabric you put on needs to run the same way because some fabric shades plus the patterns on some fabrics that have to be matched.....I wish I was there too to show you or you were here but the couch and chair that I'm doing now is getting vinyl back on it so I don't have to worry about it matching or even shading so I could actually turn it anyway I want there's usually less waste on vinyl because of that ,well I'll go,and talk later!!
  • Good morning ladies!
    Trysh, thanks for the info on upholstery. Maybe I'll get brave one day. These chairs are family heirlooms, and I don't want to destroy them.

Now, here is good/bad news, but I just adjusted my tracker UP, but the confusing part is that it really is a loss that I am reporting......

So, here goes....
    I bought a new scale a few weeks ago. It's one of those clear glass ones that you tap your foot on and it reads digital numbers and gives .2, .4, etc. like the WW scales do.
    I have always noted that when I weighed in at WW meetings that I could weigh myself at home and then go directly to a meeting and get weighed and be approximately 3 pounds higher.
    So, now I have a new scale and I've been weighing myself with both of them side by side the last week or so. When I got the scale, I was 159 on the old scale. When I got on the new scale, I was (gulp) 162.8. So, my weight was higher, all along.
    But the good news is that I have a loss to report as of today, I am now at 161.2. The old scale shows me at 157, so I know it's a good loss.

I want to give you all nothing but my honesty, and I do feel that the new scale (the old one was about 30 years old) is the accurate one and I need to use that one even if the initial news was not good.

Today's weight 161.2, since a week ago, I lost 1.6 pounds!!!! So, the tracker moved up, but I moved down. Really odd thing to say, but honesty is so important. If I go to a WW meeting (never had time to do yesterday as I thought I would) I won't have surprises anymore.
    The money spent on the new scale was worth it. I would love to weigh in exactly what I weighed at home for a change.

Now that is over, I feel good and I did lose weight!

Here is a recipe I made last night, it is CORE if you use the leanest hamburger. It's a meatloaf that has oatmeal in it instead of the usual breadcrumbs that are often used. The entire family loved it!

OATMEAL MEATLOAF

1 lb. hamburger
    1 egg
    1/4 c. ketchup
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
    2/3 c. oatmeal
    1/2 c. stock or water
    Salt and pepper
    Poultry seasoning

Mix egg, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, onion, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Stir in stock or water. Mix in hamburg and oatmeal. Pack into a well greased loaf pan. Bake about 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Take care and stay warm!
  • One more thing on the meatloaf recipe. To make it more healthy and get a bit of a milk serving in (somewhere I seem to always fail, though I take calcium supplements) I used FF milk instead of stock or water in the meatloaf. It was really a nice, comforting, recipe on a cold night.
  • Well Yee Haw!!! on your weightloss!!! I hope to have a tiny bit of a weight loss Friday...I do kinda feeeel lighter but who can tell 'till Friday???
    I've done pretty good this week....I think I'm starting to get back into the routine of things and not think about eating so much,and it's starting to leave my system.....I'd really like to lose atleast 10 lbs by my dad's birthday,which is March 29...and that is so doable......if you're on the biggest loser.....all I can do is try....and I so wish I had a treadmill....but you know what? My son is so much more active than my daughter was at that age and I truely believe he can help me!!LOL!! And I really think that's why my MIL and I have lost some of our weight!! My sister wants to borrow him for about a week!! I told her when I nee dto go to Florida again,he's all hers......
    Well I guess I better go and see where DH is...if he's even close to getting home...he had to go to Ohio today to work on some boats,and he was hoping to be home at the regular time...and I need to find out when to start dinner.....Soooo.....I'll gab later!!
  • Trysh, hope you do have a loss on Friday, I'm routing for you!

We had Fajitas for dinner last night and I feel it was a very good choice. We had whole grain tortillas with them as well and low fat sour sour cream. Everyone enjoyed them.
    But, I blew it at lunch and had Chinese food with my son. I got way too tempted and I feel badly that I did that this morning. It could ruin any results that I might have had this week, but that doesn't mean that I am giving up. Seems like Chinese food is my weakness, it's so hard to resist when other people have having it. Do you all have one food or food type that is very hard to pass up?
    I'm going to have to search through my WW and other cook books, or on line, to see if I need to dig up some Chinese food that is lower points to make at home.
    It's SO cold here, only 5.2 degrees on my thermometer, ouch! I have to go out this morning and take my poor cat to the vet this afternoon. I hate taking him out in this cold, he is an indoor cat and I don't think he's got a winter coat of fur. Poor thing!
    So, ladies, keep warm and I wish you all success this week. Try to find some healthy fruits and veggies in your diet today to keep you from getting one of those winter colds!
    Also, a bit of a challenge from me below!

This weekend, you are hereby challenged to do (can be a few at a time over the two day period):

50 sit ups (can do modified or any style you want)
    50 leg lifts
    10 push ups (they are harder)
    50 jumping jacks
    at least 20 minutes of walking, each day of the weekend!

I'm going to try, will you?
  • Good morning. Well, it's -5 here thought my time/temp thing that appears under my signature is not saying that. Guess it's warmer somewhere else where they get their info from?
    With this cold weather, it's hard to stay on track.
    What might YOU be doing to help with that today and over the weekend?