Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #16  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Ann: Actively losing without exercise, I eat between 1,300 -1,500 calories. Naturally there are days when I am hungrier, or not as hungry, but it all averages out in the long run. With exercise that gets bumped up to 1,400-1,800 calories depending what I am doing. I enjoy interval training. Walk/jog, or walk/sprint, or hill climbing.

I am BIG into the little things. I believe all the little things add up. IE; My computer chair is a stabilty ball! I am forever bouncing, balancing, or doing mini circular motions while online. Before I sit anywhere in my house be it my couch, bed, dining room chair, or outside, I will do 10 squats or tri-cep dips. My shameful secret... I'm a smoker. I smoke outside and I feel if I am foolish enough to light up I can look the part too. So before I light up I do 20 jumping jacks. eh... Red lights, waiting in any line, or for the bus Isometrics babay. Sucking that belly button in towards my spine and holding for a count of 45 or butt clenches. These are just a few of the ways I found or have tricked myself into moving more.

My only rule for eating, Protien/Carb/1-3 fruit,veg, or mixture at every meal. Snacks are filler ins. Whatever I am light on that day. Thank god I am never low on carbs ( pasta, rice carbs ) cuz thats a weakness of mine along with Chinese foods and cakes. Had to do a brainshift there that took forever but was so worth it!

Water has been my magic bullet! On a normal day I drink 9-8oz glasses. Which will get bumped up to 12-15 if I am working out. If I am shy on my water intake my scale is always up the next day.

Once again I get asked a simple question and I turn the response into book. Which is why I try to stay in lurk mode most often. So I slip back into lurk, but know I am rooting and sharing in your journies with you. And if ever your in the mood for a good read... Just give me a shout... "Hey Sassy!"
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #17  

Good morning ladies.
Sassy, thanks for your response. It helps me find direction. I think that eating the way you do will work for my lifestyle. Having a protein, carb, veg/fruit at every meal. Thank you for sharing the info you did. Please post I enjoy reading your posts.

Hi Paige, it sounds like you truly love your career. It is wonderful you found something you are passionate about. How are your girls? Did you make it to see Erica at the pumpkin patch?

Linda, how was your day. Are you taking care of you. I remember you use to take care of everyone else. I do hope you take care of yourself too.

Trysh, wow over 200 for a phone....yikes. I do hope you use it often to get your money's worth. This is the first year I can remember I don't have my Christmas shopping done. Usually I am done mine by the first weekend in September.

Janelle, how is everything with you. Are you still doing your 5k's?

Barb, are the children enjoying school? How is your job going?

Hello to everyone else, I hope you have a wonderful day.

As for me, I find I am still really busy and not getting as much sleep as I would like. I do think it affects my weight loss. I try to get at least 8 hours but for some reason I have only been getting about 6 hours a night. I need to work on that.

Have a great day. I will post more once I get a chance.
Ann
AnnCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #18  

Hello everyone,

Sassy: sounds like you have some good ideas to keep yourself moving. I may incorporate some of that.

Ann: yup still running, however these past couple of months I have been training for a half-marathon it has been challenging. I would love to say I have lost weight training for weight but nope I just keep going up and down. Today we walked/ran 10 miles. Our Martahon is in 3 weeks so the trainer in charge said to use these next couple weeks as recovery and to watch what we are eating. So hopefully that will get me on track to eating healthy.

Paige: I totally relate to you with the weight fluctuations, I get so frustrated especially when I have been running and walking so much and nothing. Not a drop of weight loss. I am glad to see you over here.

shelby: ARGH, I am constantly replacing phones, as a matter of fact my phone broke and they replaced it with a phone just like mine but it is already giving me problems. Phones can be expensive, but fun!!! I hope you get it!!
haylo921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #19  

Hi everyone! Doing OK here. It was a lovely day, sunny and warm with just a bit of foliage left. We went out for a drive and I resisted ice cream. That is a big step for me.
DH has mentioned pizza delivery for dinner. That's OK with me, but I can have a big salad from the place and maybe one or two slices of pizza instead of going nuts.
Speaking of salads I have found an amazing balsamic vinegar, wish the bottle had the name on it. I purchased it at a farm stand and it was $12.00 for a tiny bottle. I didn't look at the price, just needed balsamic for a recipe and had no clue what I was spending until I got to the cash register. I shrugged my shoulders and bought it as I was in a hurry and the company that was going to be with us for dinner was in the car waiting for me.
So, I learned a lesson about quality ingredients that day. $12.00 balsamic vinegar is "nectar of the Gods" and there is a reason why it's that expensive. There is a reason that only one measured tsp of the stuff with 2 measured tsp of olive oil is ALL I will ever use on my salad now. Amazing and luxurious. I had no idea. All the balsamic I've ever had was "harsh" in comparison and it was like a fine wine vs. buying the $5.00 a bottle "junk".
So, I look forward to my salad tonight with anticipation.
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #20  
barb

Height: 5'7

HI everyone! Wow it is nice to hear how you all have been. Well things have changed around here as well. I got a little job. I have not worked in 11 years so this is really testing everything. Man it is hard to juggle everything. I liked my old life better. I only work 3 days from 9-1:30 . My son gets out of school at 2;15 so I am off and running by than. Buy 4 I have tutoring for him 2 times a week than by 5;30 I am home. I swear I want to work only 2 days cuz my other 2 days of the week I am running and doing errands like crazy.. How do you all do it working full time. I praise you all. You are better people than me... I just have a hard time functioning.. Than I think we are not even in sports now what happens when that time comes.. YIKES

Well since I have been working I am having a hard time balancing working out. I can not go before work since my dh leaves so early at 5. Afterwards forget I am zonked. I have been trying to go on wed after work and I just started walking while my ds is tutored for his dyslexia. Hopefully this will pay off.

We are going to Florida in 2 weeks. I wanted to be lighter instead I am 10 pds heavier. So I decided to do south beach for 2 weeks to lose some quick weight to fit in my shorts comfy. I figured I needed to do something so I do not die in my TIGHT shorts...We are surprising my children , they know we are going but not when.... We are going to pick them up for school and leave.... We will see when they notice!!!

So that is it in a nut shell. My house is a disaster and I am trying to stay focused on losing weight. I will need you all for some support.. I keep on saying that this time around is it. I am so sick of constantly doing this ever year.......So lets keep our fingers crossed that this is it for this journey...Once we are there we only have to maintain... Better go Barb
djmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #21  

Barb: I wish I had the right words to advise you how to manage it all, but I don't. I admire your efforts with the new job and hope you settle in to a better routine. I do think that time management is the key during times such as these. You need to make lists, group similar activates and maybe just try small segments of exercise in between activities.
For example: I used to have to take my son to guitar lessons. These lessons were a half hour long and far enough away from our house that it was pointless to drive home while he was there. Sometimes, I would be so exhausted that I would recline the seat in the car and nap outside the teacher's house. Sometimes, I would get out of the car and walk, looking at my watch and measuring 10 minutes, one way, and then turning around and heading back to the car, always making sure I was there before my son would be out the door. Sometimes, I would run to the dry cleaners, drug store or that kind of simple thing while he was at lessons.
But, if you are working, you know to park further away from the door and walk. Take stairs instead of elevators and maybe "do the stairs" at home (if you have stairs) up and down two or three extra times a day. You can fit in small tidbits of activity without going to a gym, or segmenting off huge amounts of time to do major work outs. Just relax about it.
I even do "butt crunches" while I am watching TV once in awhile, maybe during one entire commercial. But, the key to making it work is to stop worrying about it so much.

I have good news this morning. I'm down to 155, a new low for me. I ate what I wanted, pretty much, all weekend long and even had dinner out on Friday night with a glass of wine. But, I skipped dessert and made sure my portions were smaller on everything.

But, the bad news is that I found a lump in one of my breasts on Saturday. I'll be calling the doctor first thing this morning for an appointment and to see what I need to do. I'm not tremendously worried as I had a mammogram just about two months ago and nothing was there, but if I can feel it and I have never felt anything there before, I shall go get checked out.

Take care, everyone,
Old 10-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #22  
barb

congrats Linda on the weight loss. Wahoo, that is awesome.. I have not been at that weight since about 15 years ago... Wow How wonderful!! A lot of hard work you should be very proud of yourself!

I hope your lump is nothing. Glad to hear you just went to get checked! I will keep you in my prayers though just for an extra boost.

Eating has been great. I cheated a small bit with a few chips as I was getting food out for the kids. Not many maybe 4... So that is cool. I even went to Panara bread today and only ordered soup.. Veggie at that!!! No bread got some chips to take home for my sons lunch tom. SO I must say I am proud thus far. I have a roasted chick in the oven and I roasted veggies as well. I also made some bean soup last night and hummus.... So iam set fro the week. Just need to stay focused.

Linda you are right. I did walk last week but I am suppose to stay on the premises when he is being tutored....But I am still going to sneak in walks...

I hope everyone else is well. I may check in later. Take care BArb
Old 10-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #23  

Thanks, Barb. Have to admit that I am really scared. Saw my OB/GYN today and I have been referred to a surgeon on Friday. I shall do my best to stay positive, but this is really hard.
If you have to stay on the premises while your son is being tutored, is there stairs that you can go up and down a few times?
Well, that is all for me tonight. Going to try to watch some TV and put aside my worries.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #24  
barb

Please keep us posted Linda. I will for sure keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and keep busy......
Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #25  

Linda: I am happy to hear you were down, and I am sorry to hear about the lump. I hope it is nothing serious. Please keep us posted, I will keep you in my prayers.
haylo921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #26  

Happy Tuesday all! I was a little surprised to wake up to snow this morning, a 2 hr delay for my dd, and a winter storm advisory in effect. When the heck did that happen?! I thought it was supposed to be sunny today! LOL!

Things here have been ok eating wise, I guess? I am really trying to have my first, automatic choice be the RIGHT choice...I took dd to McDonalds yesterday and just got a hamburger and ate a few fries from her Happy Meal. For dinner I made a really awesome chicken pomodoro recipe that I had come across; it was pan fried in a little bit of olive oil and cooking spray. I replaced the heavy cream with milk, and we had it with rice. Last night the Titans played Monday nite football, and while my dh snacked on pretzels and icing, I munched on some carrots, a WW cheese stick, and a sugar free pudding pack.

Linda-I really hope and pray that everything goes ok with you at the surgeon. You have every right to be scared, but know that there will be a lot of people praying for you. =) Also, congrats on your weight being down. I think you and I were at the same point, you know? I needed to "sort of" do WW...the more uptight I was about it, the more guilt I felt over it, and the more I overate. By taking a little more relaxed view, I was able to make it a lifestyle change. I just worry that I got TOO relaxed! I don't even know if it's that...I just feel like I don't know what works anymore.

Barb-It is hard to juggle work and the kids, but I think you do get used to it. I like the constant go-go-go that comes with, and find myself not knowing what to do the days that I'm off (which I end up wanting to eat!) I think you just have to be aware through your day of little ways that you can fit in things like exercise...for me, one way is stairs. At work, a lot of my ingredients are down in the basement, and there are a big flight of stairs going down there. Most days I really feel like I could of been on a stairclimber, the amount that I go up and down (even though I get multiple ingredients each trip!) When I go up the stairs, I try to be really aware of the muscles that I am using and tighten them with every step. It's not an exercise replacer, but it's something at least!

Ann-My girls are good. They have been really struggling with their asthma this year; my older dd was pretty bad last week. Their dr said that if I hadn't of brought her in for a breathing treatment and meds, she would of been in the hospital by the end of the week. It's scary. Other than that, they are good! How is your little boy? Yes, I am very passionate about my job! I love it. We are so super busy there; my boss even wants me to pick up another day. Our business has really picked up this year, go figure! I have not gone up to see Erica's pumpkin farm; the season just goes by so quickly...every weekend there is something going on. I hope she is doing well; I should pm her.

Janelle-Did you see the Titans game last night? I even stayed up for it, which is pretty good for me. Dh and dds are going to Nashville the weekend before Thanksgiving to watch the Titans-Jets game. I thought at first that I'd be able to go, but I realized I didn't dare ask to switch my schedule, with it being right before a holiday. I'm really disappointed that I'm not able to go! That is so great that you do the marathons; I wish I had that much motivation. =)

Well, I hope everyone has a great, op day!!!
mpaigew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #27  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Hi all....Happy Hump day/night...I know it's late and by the time ya'll read this,it'll be Thursday......
Linda~ I'm thinking about ya...breast cancer is a really scary thing...let me tell ya....ask for an ultrasound,because sometime those will find what a mammy won't,and I can't believe the docs aren't using these more....about 5 years ago the doc found something in my breast right behind the nipple and it felt sore when you pressed it so she sent me for an ultrasound,which it just turned up nothing,because when she found it..I was getting ready to start,but by my ultrasound appt.,I had only been off my period 3 days,so that explained what it was....so now I TRy to remember to check the sisters,and I have to admit sometimes I wonder if it could possibly turn into something one of these days...so I worry...I think we all worry about that...My sis had breast cancer when she was about 45 so I need to start mammys next year,they want to start mammy 10 years prior to the age of your mom,or sister's age when they had the cancer...But I think that's what I'll do is ask for an ultrasound...I don't know if you saw where Suzanne Summers was talking about her breast cancer and she said she had the lump and knew it was something because it wasn't there before,so they sent her for a mammy and found nothing ,but she just knew it wasn't right so she had an ultrasound and it found the cancer... So that's something to think about..for a second opinion maybe...
Speaking of news DH is in Ft. Lauderdale FL this week and was hoping to get back either tomorrow or Friday sometime,and I found out tonight he may not be coming home at all,or atleast till Monday..He's going to miss trick or treating...I'm going to have to do this by myself I guess...it's really not a big deal,it's just the point of it...his bosses are work aholics and expect it of their employees also,EVEN IF THEY DO HAVE KIDS TO TAKE TRICK OR TREATING!!!!!!!!! sorry, he doesn't like his new job..I don't like his new job......they are keeping him on the road away from me and the kids and I just hate it.....sorry to vent but if they send him somewhere else and he misses Thanksgiving,I will personally go up there and quit his job for him!!LOL!!! Anyway I guess I;ll go snuggle my baby so I can get up and do it all over again tomorrow...talk later!!
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #28  

Hi everyone. Still apprehensive about tomorrow afternoon's appointment. I'll be asking for an ultrasound as well as an MRI, I think? I've been sworn, basically, OFF caffeine this week. In my readings, I have determined that caffeine can cause breast cysts and pain. It may be my imagination, but the lump feels a bit smaller? We shall see. But, I'm hopeful that it's only a cyst or something benign. I also read that 9 times out off 10 they are benign. So, maybe that will be me?
But, in the meantime, life goes on and I have been trying to be busy.
Paige, I have not seen any WW cheese sticks around here, can you describe them?
Also, that pomodoro recipe sounds appealing, can you share?
Not much news here, have been cleaning and reorganizing the house. We're getting ready for a yard sale and I have to really get rolling with it all before it snows a great deal and gets too cold to do it. Paige's weather may be here before you know it! It was 38 here this morning, not that warm. Not sure I want to be outdoors for an entire day this time of year for a yard sale, but I want this stuff out of here!
Linda
Old 10-31-2008, 05:34 AM   #29  

Linda-I found out on Wednesday that my sister was going to the dr yesterday for two lumps that she found. I spoke with my mom yesterday, and the are sending her next week for a mammogram and an ultrasound. She has always had problems with fiberous tissue, so hopefully this is nothing. Breast cancer does not run in my family; I can't think of anyone who has had it. Does it run in yours?
The WW cheese sticks are mozzarella sticks (string cheese.) The are pretty good, a little rubbery, but they have a decent flavor. They are 1 pt. I've been taking one of those, some carrots, a sandwich (made with double fiber bread) or Progresso soup, or a Fiber One pop tart (these are GOOD!) for lunch to work lately. I did well until yesterday...it's been a bad week there, and I just didn't feel like eating my pop tart! My boss made me my favorite...quiona cakes (which are actually core) on flat bread with tomatoes, arugala, and aioli. It is SUCH a yummy sandwich. The only "bad" thing would be the aioli, but there isn't that much of it, and they thin it down to a dressing consistancy.
I will post the chicken pomadoro recipe in my next post; I need to start getting ready for work (I'm dressing up as a witch today!)

I hope everyone has a happy and SAFE Halloween! Be careful with the candy! We have SOOOOOO much of it in the house right now, as we get an incredible amount of trick or treaters, and this year will be worse as it is a FRIDAY!
mpaigew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:04 AM   #30  

Thanks, Paige. The appointment was pretty inconsequential and the exam was inconclusive. I'm going to have an MRI next week. I'm glad we are pursuing this further. I was cautioned that MRIs can often give false positive results, but that due to the "density" of my breasts that my mammograms (which I have had every year since in my early 30s and I'm now 53) always are difficult to read. An MRI will be much more accurate. If they find anything in the MRI that looks suspicious, then we shall proceed to a biopsy. So, onward we go. I'm planning to live and be around for a very long time, so best to take this approach.
Paige, I hope your sister is OK, keep us posted.
One more thing to mention, ladies, cut down on caffeine! I was told that breast cysts can develop due to caffeine and that I need to cut that out of my life. I can do that, but it's going to be hard.

So, getting back to why we are all here.
Would anyone be interested in a little challenge?
How 'bout just 3 pounds between now and December 26th? If you lose 3 pounds (and more, maybe?) you donate $25.00 worth of food (what you would have eaten and maybe passed on between now and that date?) to a local food pantry!

I'm in and I'm going to try really hard. There will be lots of events and special foods between now and Dec. 26th, however, we need to keep an awareness throughout this season or we could be 3 pounds heavier vs. lighter! Three pounds is a reasonable goal, given the time of year, vs. saying 5 or even 10, let's be reasonable and fair to ourselves. I probably WILL (and will love every minute of it) enjoy a great meal on Thanksgiving, with pie and gravy and things that I do not eat every day. I might have a few Christmas cookies and some cheese-ball. I will not torture myself of beat myself up over having those things. But, I can carve points/calories off many other meals and squeeze in some kind of activity.

A healthy lifestyle is on my mind, certainly, when you think of things like breast cancer and other health issues that can "hit hard". Do we want to be at a proper weight so our bodies are fighting for us, or are we going to allow more fat cells to expand and to become even more sedentary. It's time to FIGHT!

Last edited by derrydaughter; 11-01-2008 at 07:06 AM.