Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias # 44

Good morning to everyone. It is raining and chilly here again this morning. It is mop the linoleum day, but I may put that off until tomorrow as it isn't supposed to rain tomorrow. I may do the dusting today.

I was more than surprised when Kelly called last night and said Thomas was going to be on Good Morning America tomorrow. I guess they are going to do it live from Thomas's house. Kelly said she had to clean house and get some pictures for the walls. She said she really didn't want it done at the house because of her tacky furniture, which it really isn't unless her cat and dog have torn it up. We rarely go over there. Anyway, I looked and the show is at 7 AM central so I am going to have to be up to watch it. He sure has hit the campaign trail late and he already was elected into office! Kelly said she was going to coach him on not giving one word answers, which he did with the WSJ reporter.

Maggie: Where are you lady? We miss you? I haven't heard anything email wise from you either. We hope you and hubby are a-ok.

Gail: Same with you.

Susan: A goodly part of our leaves are on my deck already. They have barely turned this year. I am out so infrequently I haven't noticed anywhere else. I always like going to Indiana this time of year because the trees along the Indiana toll road are always so beautiful.

Jean: We are scheduled for flu shots a week from today at the Walgreens across the street. I have an appt but the woman acted like it was first come first serve so I hope we can get in otherwise we will have to look elsewhere. I am not making a dr appt just for a flu shot. He is quite talented and interesting. I watched his video about how he draws. I have always found editorial cartoons interesting even if once in awhile I am lost as to what he is talking about.

I guess I better get to my chores. Have a nice weekend everybody. Hope it is warm and sunny where you are!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #2  

Happy Friday, Flowers! It's cold and damp, but not raining nor windy so far today. I was up early, as usual, for my perm appt. --she takes 3 hours no matter what. I never made it to the grocery store yesterday so will go this afternoon with all of the other crazy people who wait until Friday.

"Gma" -- Thank you for starting the new thread! I doubt that the TV camera will even show Kelly's furniture/walls, etc. Whenever our local station does a home interview they have the interviewee filling up the whole screen as much as possible. I wonder if we get GMA on Saturday; I'm always up because I wake up the same time as a school day. I had to answer 5 questions yes/no on a permission paper before I could get the flu shot. They were all worded weird imo! The only question I remember word for word is . . . . "No, I am not pregnant." I checked them all "no" -- meaning "no, I am not pregnant!" To me saying yes was more confusing. Anyhow, another elderly lady was also there and she was really confused. The nurse said it didn't make any difference if we marked them all yes or no since we had to sign the bottom line giving permission for the shot. I don't remember answering any questions last year. I guess I've read too many tests at school where the double negative is a big no-no.

I have my grocery list ready so am off to brave the grocery store. Have a relaxing evening and a great weekend! The sun is supposed to shine on us tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! The is shining!!!!!!!!! It's a beautiful day in my corner of the world and it's about time! I've been putzing all morning; made chili, did some laundry, and sorted through more catalogs. I need to go back to the grocery store *groan* as MIL had a list last night for the next time one of us is out and about.

Bob just got a call that the tractor, wagons, and combine are ready to roll so he's digging out some warmer clothes. He thought it would be too muddy after all our rain and still thinks someone will get stuck before the day is over.

Hope you all have a relaxing day as well as having sunshine all around you!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-25-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #4  

Good evening, ladies. Rainy day today, but warmer - its still 70 degrees at 7:38 pm.

Jean, we seem to be on the same wave length today - I made chili, too.

Faye, we don't get Good Morning America on Sunday - we have Ernest Angsle. Rats. Maybe they'll put it on their website.

I'm going to Richmond tomorrow, with 3 of my friends, to a quilt show. I hope it's better than the last one.

Have a good evening and a blessed Sunday.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all! Well my famous grandson was on tv this morning and looked adorable of course. Boy, that red hair stood out that's for sure! He looked so handsome in his new suit, which was bought last minute so mom and dad did a good job.

Jean: Hope Bob and company didn't get mired down in the mud. I know it is supposed to be warm here today but down in the 50's by tomorrow. BRRRRR! I may end up having to turn on the heat after all.

Susan: Sorry you didn't get to see Thomas. He looked so cute but was nervous. I had emailed Kelly to her blackberry to have him give Nonny a little wave at the end. Well, they had them waving on camera in the beginning then at the end, but he kind of leaned in and did this little wave at the end that wasn't one of those "pageant" waves, but like someone who was just waving to family so I imagine that was for me. I hope he gets to see a little of NYC before they come home.

I better get to chores. We sat around and waited for his part of the show to be on so I haven't done anything this morning.

Faye
Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! The wind is blowing like crazy, but the sun is shining. It is 34 degrees outside although I bet it feels colder than that. Bob just left for the farm and announced he thought he was use the tractor with the cab and heater today. I figure that's a no brainer with the wind blowing like it is. I'm sneaking up on a pile of ironing. Someday I will be all caught up with everything . . . in my next life probably.

Susan -- I made a double batch of chili yesterday, which I usually do. Bob comes home for lunch during the week and will eat leftovers. I may have to freeze some because when he is farming he won't be coming home as they usually head to town and eat a "meat and potatoes" meal in a restaurant. I wasn't thinking very far ahead on that one; talk about being a creature of habit. I always smile to myself when you talk about Richmond because the resort we go to in the summer is also Richmond. The MN Richmond is a little rural town where the 4 lane hiway zooms through. It's an area of lots of fishing resorts and anyone (females!) wanting to do any shopping head for St. Cloud. I hope you have an enjoyable time at the quilt show today. Will you have any on display or are you just looking?

"Gma" -- We don't get GMA on Sunday either. I did find it in the TV guide however. Thomas giving the little wave reminds me of Carol Burnett always touching her ear at the end of her shows and that was for her grandmother, I think. The guys got quite a bit done yesterday and the main excitement was that the farm dog met up with a skunk sometime after dark. He likes to ride in the combine for awhile and then will run along side the tractor, back to the combine, etc. He won't be riding with anyone today. They will finish one farm today and move the equipment to the other farm if they finish while it is still light out. Otherwise they will move over tomorrow. The second farm will take longer because they haul to an elevator rather than to bins on the farm. Bob's manager fired the other agent in the office so Bob is the only one right now. What is so STUPID is that the last two the manager has hired (and fired) didn't live in our town and was not involved in anything locally. No one knew them and didn't want them for an agent. Some days Bob says he can be busier than a cat in a litter box! That is good because it pays the bills!

Hope all you have a nice day. I'm off to crank up the iron!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-26-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. It is a brisk morning here today. I wonder if we will get any of that wind that Jean was talking about. Maybe it will blow the leaves onto the other two condos decks and I won't have to clean them up!

Jean: Have no fear, GLoria is here! I couldn't get the link for the segment with Thomas to load and GLoria sent me the link they used to look at it, so here you go! They cut out his little wave at the end, though. I bet Bob froze off vital parts yesterday, poor guy. I would think that chili would be welcome even if I had just eaten. I am making chili for dinner tonight too with corn bread. Jack doesn't like pieces of tomato and I could never get tomato sauce to be seasoned just right so I used tomato soup. Sounds icky, but with onions, garlic, cumin and chili powder it makes a darn nice chili and quick too!

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6113801

Susan: If you would like to see Thomas, the link is above. She called me about 20 minutes after it was done and they were all excited. I got to talk to Thomas and he was taking it all in stride, but his mom was like a kid in a candy store. They decided to stay over until tonight and do some sightseeing and Tom has a cousin that lives in New York they were going to go have dinner with last night. I guess there was a big mess with the plane and they sat in the air for an extended period of time at La Guardia because of weather, the pilot's time in the air timed out, so they had to land somewhere else. They stressed that they had to get a plane out to be on tv and put them on another plane, but ended up with the same thing happening again with weather and pilot flying time being uo so, then had to end up flying to Pittsburgh. Well, the studio sent a limo to Pittsburgh to pick them up and they drove all night and got to their hotel at 4:30 yesterday morning. Kelly said T slept all the way though. They laid down for half hour then had to get cleaned up and go to the studio. She said their hotel was directly across the street from the studio and the studio is right in Times Square. She said she has pictures of them sitting in the big picture window GMA has looking out into Time Square. I guess they got the royal treatment, autographs, got to tour the studio and sound booth and all and she said they fed them well in the "green room." She said everyone was just terrific. What a wonderful experience for Thomas that he can tell to his own grandkids someday. I imagine he will be some celebrity at school too. All because of a little video on UTube on a speech for his Student Council.

I better get going on those chores. We did carpet shampooing upstairs yesterday but I am waiting to do the downstairs until the week before Thanksgiving so they will be nice and fresh for the kids to come.

Have a good start to your week everyone!
Faye
Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies! A cool 60 degrees with sunshine today.

Faye, Thomas was great. I hope someone taped it for him to keep. I definitely think he'll be running for President in another 30 years (and I'll be a really old lady). I know that area of Times Square. I spent Hurricane Gloria in the newsroom at RKO General. I was there conducting PC classes for them. It was really eerie to look out at Times Square at noon and see no people or cars! I need to shampoo carpets upstairs and do the stairs but I'm putting it off until the week between Christmas and New Year's when I won't have to work.

Jean, Richmond is the capital of VA and the old capital of the Confederacy. Lots of history there. I love going to the Confederate Museum there. Of course, Robert E. Lee was imprisoned after the war right in my area at Fort Wool and the last battle of the Revolutionary War was at Yorktown.

The quilt show yesterday was wonderful. Lots of talented ladies produced some very beautiful quilts. This was their Guild's show so only their quilts had quilts on display. Our show will be in May 2009. My friend was so taken by one of the quilts, she bought it. It was a steal at $400 - original design, hand quilting, hand painting, and every block was embellished with beads. It was gorgeous.

Have a good day!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Default Good Monday Morning

ACTUALLY IT IS AFTERNOON HERE ~ GOOD DAY!

I have been busy in my studio and have made some glass items for preasants. I have another building cut out and decided to take a break and (not a glass break ~ that is a pun intended) but from my glass works. OH well I'll leave that now.

I watched that web site that Tomas was on and cheered. What a neat group of kids that are coming up now. Gives us hope for the future of our US of A down the road for sure. Hope that wasn't too political and my post doesn't get zapped.

It is getting a mite chilly here in the flatlands with a burrrr temp of 43 degrees as I type. The wind blows here also, nothing to stop it. We have been changing the window covers and they look just like the picture. I got the look from a spendy magazine and found "look a likes" for much less, really a lot less, money. And guess what, they look just as good as the picture and the look is what we were after plus the work ability. Nice when a plan comes together. Our dining room will have a spiffy look by the time we have our Christmas White Elephant Gift Exchange & Chili Feed Dinner. I love this time of year when things are winding down for the new year coming.

I have not done well of late with my eating less program. However, this is a new day and I am back with it once again. Guess I was ready to take a "break" before going on down the road to thin. Sometimes I just get tired of it all. But I still go to the meetings and mine is tonight. I do hope that when they get the Franchise alll in (they are getting it in piece by piece) they will split up the group. There is way over a hundred that attend and that is a bit much for one meeting I do believe. I would love to have a morning meeting and this one is at 7 pm at night and ~ well it is the only show in town and that is what I go to.

Take care everyone and be safe. Type at you later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I've decided the
"hoodlums" can't handle a 3 day weekend! They were just awful today during the reading class. Of course the administrators were all gone for an all day meeting so there was no back up. One kid brought a bottle of pop and proceeded to share with a couple of others. The teacher went nuts by this time and grabbed the bottle from him. She poured the pop out the window and threw the bottle in the wastebasket. It was nuts! On the plus side the sun is shining again today although it is cold outside. The wind finally died down to a gentle breeze.

"Gma" -- I'm with Jack and "no tomato chunks in my chili!" Bob likes them so I buy the petite diced tomatoes and pick out the bigger chunks, for myself, which really aren't all that big. Thanks for the link and I will watch it as soon as I finish typing my two cents worth here. I'm glad Thomas had a good trip in spite of the weather and plane landing delays.

Susan -- I visited Richmond, VA, when I was in the 6th grade. I won a trip to Washington, D. C., and we did the historical tour along with the DC sights. I must admit I don't remember a whole lot; I don't think kids appreicate the history of things like an adult does. How do you put a price on a quilt? Years ago we made some craft items for a bazaar and were told to double the price of materials. I don't think that would work well with anything that takes a lot of time and patience to make.

Maggie -- You have been busy! What kind of window covers did you get? I thought I wanted vertical blinds in my bedrooms, but notice that the wider (old fashioned type blinds) are being shown again. I had mini blinds in one room and hated those dust collectors! I'm tempted to go back to roller shades and drapes to keep the cold air trapped next to the glass. Our bedroom windows are pretty tight but the glass does get cold. I've not been doing well with the WW program either. The same ho-hum leader is still here ho-humming away. I would like a morning meeting, and preferably on Friday.

Bob is farming again this afternoon so guess I will work on the ironing pile. Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-27-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Back Once Again Today

HOWDY MY CYBER MAGNOLIAS FRIENDS

JEAN The blinds are dark brown with little hollow small pencil sized bamboo. They do have liners and also roll up. We put a wide piece of dark wood at the top on the wall which matches the picture I said about getting that idea out of a magazine. The windows are framed in dark wood so everything matches well. They look really nice plus work well keeping out the bright sun and such and easy to open.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all! I hope this finds you warm and in good spirits. Jack turned on the furnace this morning so it is the first time of the season.

I just have to show you some of the cute stuff I got for Christmas. Like I said, we had not put a tree up since Butterscotch came to live with us because he would climb the trunk and knock it over. I decided since the kids are going to be here and such I wanted to do Christmas up nice this year and needed some updating. Most of my stuff is either snowman or candy cane/striped. I bought two rope style red and white striped lights for the tree and two led candy canes strings. I also bought this stuff in the pictures. I love these little canoes with the snowmen. I got some little mitten ornaments that have evergreen scented pearls in them as we have a fake tree (real trees are outrageous here as they are shipped from Michigan) some Boyd's bears ornaments that light up and sing when you touch them, and a few other things. I have ordered so much stuff I can't keep track. Every week there are a ton of boxes for the trash guys. This week we have lots of peanuts in the boxes so I am sure they will be all over the street when they come through tomorrow as they are anything but careful.

Maggie: Slipping and sliding is a fact of life with weight loss so don't stress too much about it. I am sure your windows look beautiful now. We have blinds, most of them in need of replacing, for our whole condo and we have curtains over everything. Jack doesn't like anyone to be able to see in! lol I am glad to see you back here as we wondered where you went missing. I am sure you are busy with projects for holiday gifts or to sell.

Jean: The closer it gets to the holiday the worse they will get too. I pity you, I really do. I know it surely takes the joy out of teaching anymore. Jack ended up working late so we had warmed up chili. Jack ate two helpings and there was just enough left for me to have one more serving for lunch today. I really want to buy a small chest freezer to store stuff in as my refrigerator freezer is usually packed from shopping day to shopping day. I have an ice maker and you know how much room those things take up. I wouldn't trade that for the world though.

Susan: I can't even imagine! I would love to go to a quilt show sometime. I would have to go alone as Jack wouldn't be interested and I doubt Kelly would. Some of the Amish quilts I have seen are spectacular. They are worth every $$$ that is asked for. I imagine T will have lots to discuss at school today.

Well, again it is time to start tackling the chores. Have a great day today and dress warm if it is cold in your area!
Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canoe1.jpg (45.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg canoe2.jpg (41.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg snowmanstuff.jpg (35.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #13  

Good morning, ladies - a chilly 43 degrees. I guess the heating season has arrived.

Faye, those snowmen in canoes are adorable. You sure are in the Christmas spirit already. Stan always did the Christmas decorating. I'm not sure what I'm going to do or not do this year.

Jean, I wouldn't be surprised if a teacher went postal and started shooting the kids. And these are our future leaders!

Maggie, glad to hear from you. I know your glass pieces are beautiful. I get tired of watching what I eat, too, and from time to time just throw in the towel and eat whatever looks good. That's why I'm having so much trouble getting the 15 pounds off the doctor wants me to lose. I try to do more exercise when I'm having trouble with my choices.

Have a great day!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining but it has been another chilly breezy day. The frost took out my flowers last night and today they are a sad looking bunch for sure. School was ok, but the day seemed long for some reason. The asst. principal blamed the teacher for all of the problems we had in class yesterday and said he would do nothing about the written detention notices. He is so inconsistent that it makes teachers so angry. Several kids were removed from the pep rally yesterday and are supposed to be in in-school suspension until their parents come in for a conference. One girl was telling another that she could talk her way out of it and she did -- she was in class today.

One of our special ed. teachers had a lumpectomy today. She will have radiation as soon as she has healed. Her daughter was in Jason's class and is a nurse in Sioux Falls, so that is where her mom had the surgery. I've been thinking of her all day.

Maggie -- The blinds sound very unique and have great eye appeal!

"Gma" -- The Christmas decorations are so cute! I like the snowman theme; I have a few that I can leave out after I put the rest of the decorations away. As much as I like having the bottom freezer, I don't like giving up refrigerator shelf space nor that the wide door shelves take out even more shelf space. I did look at refrigerators the other day and couldn't find any with glass shelves that are not divided nor the door shelves that go the width of the door. I think having the divided door shelves limits the space available even though they are adjustable. Live and learn!

Susan -- I can see where there is going to be a teacher shortage. The paperwork is huge and the special ed. requirements are out of sight. Most of our special ed. kids are now a language issue rather than a mental disability of any sort. I'm glad I'm not just starting out, that's for sure. I think the eating challenge must be weather related!

It's almost time to call my "mom" and I need to look for a container of sweatshirts somewhere in the basement. I don't know how I can be so unorganized at times. Makes me nuts! Have a relaxing evening and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-28-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Good Night Magnolias

My friends I have had quite a sneezey day. Been sucking on Cold Eeze and it cuts the colds in half ~ proven fact in studies and by me.

We went for a nice drive into a neighboring town about 28 or so miles down the road and had a good time looking at the histoical buildings this afternoon. This place is chocked full of history. Streets here are still the red bricks.

I made a great pot of chicken noodle soup and had it for lunch and dinner. Love that stuff when I am feeling a cold coming on or during one also. Plus it is just plain good and Will likes it too which helps.

We watched a few episodes of Miami CSI and now it is time for me to pick up the place (not much to do) and head for bed. Ole Ragg Mopp is asleep in the hallway between my studio and Will's office. He doesn't want to miss a step. Got to step over him to go anywhere out of here so he knows his human is up and about.

Type at you later ~