Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #76  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Shad, in case you head out before I have a chance to catch up - have a safe trip. We look forward to your tour of Dampier. Hope it's more pier than dam

And Nae - I see there is a major winter storm headed your way with lots of the s-word stuff. Stay cozy!

Last edited by happy2bme; 10-11-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #77  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

SHAD...YES THE TOASTS WILL BE SITTING ON TOP OF THE FROZEN SOUP....MAKING IT EASY TO KNOW WHAT PART TO EAT! WISHING THE DS SOME GOOD LUCK ON THE HUNT. MAYBE HE WILL GET LUCKY. TELL HIM NOT TO PICK A COMPANY THAT'S GOING OUT OF BUSINESS BY THE END OF THE YEAR WISHING YOU A SAFE JOURNEY TO DAMPIER HOPE THIS JOB IS A HAPPY ONE!!

HAPPY~ I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE AILMENTS OF BOTH YOU AND DH IT IS A TOUGH TIME OF YEAR BOTH PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY. MOST OF THE PEOPLE I KNOW THAT ARE JUST READY TO RETIRE ARE WALKING AROUND STUNNED. THE CHEAP CURTAINS MAY BE CHEAPER BUT THE BETTER ONES WILL LAST LONGER. JEN AND I WERE JUST DISCUSSING STUFF LIKE THAT AS PRICES ARE CREEPING UP SO THAT STORES AND COMPANIES CAN HOLD ON LONGER. GOOD LUCK WITH THE CLASSES AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF. I KNOW YOU ARE LEARY ABOUT THE SHOT AND I CAN UNDERSTAND...BUT IT ONLY TOOK ME ONE SHOT IN EACH SIDE TO TAME THE BURSITIS AND THEN HOME TREATMENT HAS KEPT IT AWAY (MORE OR LESS) LET ME SAY IN MY CASE THE PAIN IS TOLERABLE NOW.

CEEJAY~ NOW THEY NEED TO GIVE YOU A PROMOTION AND A HEFTY RAiSE!! I HEARD THAT THE GOVT WAS A BIT AFRAID TO TAKE CONTROL OVER CREDIT CARD SPENDING BECAUSE SOME FAMILIES RIGHT NOW ARE OUT OF WORK AND USING THEM TO EAT WITH. SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS.

CARLA~ FUNNY YOU SHOULD TALK ABOUT ELK STEW. WILLY AND I WERE LOOKING AT BUFFALO MEAT. I FELT LIKE THE GREAT WHITE HUNTER SITTING IN FRONT OF ALL THAT FROZEN BISON!! SORRY IT CAME OUT WRONG. MAYBE THEY SOAKED THE MEAT IN MILK TO "DE-GAME" IT. OREGANO CAN BE NASTY WITH CERTAIN MEATS OR IN CERTAIN COMBOS TOO. ANYWAY.....SORRY ABOUT THE YEARS YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE UP. MAYBE YOU ARE RIGHT WITH JOBS CLOSER TO HOME...UNLESS THE MONEY IS SOOOO MUCH BETTER HOPE YOUR BEING HERE MEANS YOU ARE COMING OUT OF YOUR CAVE OF HIBERNATION

MICHELLE~ JUST REST THAT WEARY HEAD OF YOURS AND THINK GOOD HEALING THOUGHTS. HOPE THE DR GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO GET YOU BAKC UP ON YOUR FEET. STAY WARM AND REST, REST, REST!!!!

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO REGROUP FROM THE LONG WEEK. YESTERDAY WAS A DAY OF **** AND I WON'T POST IT HERE. JUST GLAD IT'S ALL OVER. I RAN THE SPANISH MOVIE LAST NIGHT AND SOME ASKED ME TO STAY WITH THEM AND WATCH. I COULD SEE THEM DARTING GLANCES AT THE DOOR WAITING FOR THE "BIG WOMAN" TO COME IN AND GIVE A REP[EAT PERFORMANCE OF HER BIGOTRY....BUT THANK GOD IT DIDN'T HAPPEN CAUSE AFTER THIS CRAP WEEK I WAS MORE THAN READY TO ACCOMMODATE HER IN A SCREAMING MATCH.
IT IS WEEK 9 AND STILL NO CHAIR. HAD A TALK WITH THE INS DR AND HE IS STILL HOLDING IT RANSOM. LOTS OF WORDS, TEARS AND ANGUISH WENT ON FROM BOTH SIDES. WE ARE CIVIL TO EACH OTHER BUT I AM BARELY KEEPING ANY RESPECT I HAD FOR HIM IN THE BEGINNING. SO NOW HE IS IN THE PROCESS OF TRYING TO LOOK PAST HIS "RULE BOOK" MENTALITY AND CHECING INTO MY RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVE. IF ANYTHING CHANGES I WILL LET YOU KNOW. I AM PRETENDING RIGHT NOW THAT I DON'T EVEN HAVE THAT CHAIR ANY MORE. MAKES ME CALMER.
SOMETHING, MAYBE THE SHOT, IS GIVING ME THE RUNS SINCE THAT NIGHT. I DON'T THINK IT'S JUST THE STRESS OIF THE WEEK BUT IT COULD BE. BECAUSE "BAD" STUFF HAPPENED DURING A WORKING WEEK, I HAVE BEEN SWITCHING GEARS IN MY HEAD CONSTANTLY. MAYBE IT'S ALL COMING TO A HEAD. WILLY TRIED TO GIVE ME THE $40 FOR THE OTHER DAY'S SHOPPING TRIP. I TOLD HIM IT WOULDN'T BE MY" TREAT" THEN AND HE WOULD REALLY PISS ME OFF AND END MY WEEK ON AN EVEN WORSE NOTE EVERY DAY HE ASKS ME WHAT I HAD FOR DINNER AND IF IT WAS GOOD I AM LOVING THE FOOD EVEN IF THE WEIGHT STAYS THE SAME.
WE HAVE A 2 DAY WEEKEND. GOD BLESS COLUMBUS AND I DON'T REALLY CARE IF HE WAS THE FIRST ONE HERE OR NOT!! I AM GOING TO REST, REST, REST

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #78  

Good Morning Worldly Lovelies, Saturday yeah..... but reminds me of my last Saturday with my Little Girl..... Thank you all for your Thoughts I appreciate them. My kids sent me a beautiful bouquet and I received another one from a friend. So nice. Toby and I are doing fine. TOby is so intune with me and our little world. Wish I knew how to put some pics on here for you all to see.
Happy, Yes the S word is all around and the wind is sooo cold. Quite a shock from the sunny weather. But by next Tues. we should see better temps. The gardens took quite a hit so everyone is scrabbling to get things given away and put up. Hope you have a better weekend.
SHad, it is so amazing to me how crafty you are with your remodeling and hard work you put into your house. I wish I had even a small part of that energy and knowledge. WHere is your next job? I remember my friend David would really enjoy watching that car race.
Mel, I do hope you are feeling ok? Are you going to be busy in your building when the elections happen? Don't over do it. I hope the chairs are in repair enough to get you through the winter. My heart is concerned about services for my patients with needs for equipment in the present state of affairs.
DI, hope you get to feeling better. It seems like the cold germs and other conditions can develop into difficult things to combat and really can knock ya down for the count sometimes.....
Annie, so happy for you to be feeling a bit better. I hope the reunion is fun. So good when I get to be with my old friends and just laugh and enjoy each other. Good luck with the new guy...... relationships are challenging in the best of worlds!
Ceejay, keep your chin up sometimes staying motivated on this weight loss journey is difficult. But we are all here to help and just listen whenever you need it.
Ruth, how busy your weeks must be to keep you away from the worldy place. I don't know if you are getting any of this storm up in the neighboring lands? What has happened to our other Northerly gals who use to post so regularly??????? Stop and say HI.
I miss hearing from our ladies that are across the pond also>>>>>>
We can only control our days and give a smile or helping hand in kindness to those we know and to some people we don't know.... if the world was living and practicing life with more gratitude and less greed would we be swirling in this tidal wave????? So today I wish you all Peace and Love to you and your families......stay warm.
Thanks for being here!
Nae
Old 10-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #79  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

Saturday at last. I think we need to rename our Optimism in October thread. Everytime we try to take a positive outlook things turn sucky. And like Forest Gump said "... and that's all I'm going to say about that."

Mel, what the heck are they holding your chair ransom for? Is this a repair? I know how it worries you so I guess just putting it out of your head for a while is better because the stress does you no good. I hope they come to their senses soon Glad you are enjoying the TJ food - no soy there. Enjoy your weekend. Columbus Day already? I haven't celebrated that since we got the day off in grammar school

To all of us worrying about our pensions and savings. I guess we just have to hang tight. This is the 2nd time that we took a major, major hit - of no fault on our part. I am so angry at our government right now. But this is the fallout of all those years of big business greed. I think it's time for looking after us little guys who support this country. DH wanted to retire in less than 2 years. I know that's not happening now, even if we were to sell everything and move upstairs to the tiny flat at my mom's house. It appears that my old house in Chicago is about to go to foreclosure. A very young couple bought it and I never could figure out how they could have afforded it - the house itself was quite modest but prices were high because it was in a good area with great schools. Even with all the turmoil in real estate, that area has held their prices strong. I see alot of houses for sale - both there and here. We occasionally go to these financial seminars where you get a free dinner and hear someone speak. DH and I joke that the free dinners are part of our supplemental retirement plan but seriously we go mostly because you never know when someone will say something that sparks a "hey, that's a great idea" concept. So far after about 8 it's a bust but we keep trying One guy was talking about all the "cash" that is tied up in the equity in your house doing nothing for you. DH and I talked that one through a few times, figured if you took out an equity loan, you'd have to make more on the investment than it would cost for the interest on the loan and in the shaky financials, that wasn't a good idea. Plus we are both old fashioned in that you DON'T gamble your house away. In today's unstable world of shaky financials, we are glad we have a tiny mortgage and enough funds on the side to quickly pay it off if something were to happen to either of our jobs. Both cars are paid off too for the first time in our married lives. We can weather a temporary setback but long term retirement is even longer now.

Shad, that's for the pep talk. You have HAPPY fish in your bathroom? That I need to see I'm sure your house is looking quite pretty these days. You certainly have put alot of work into it. I hope things work out positively for DS2. Did you get everything done on your ambitious to do list?

I too once worked for the government (coordinating the 2000 census) for 5 months. I agree that you have to have a certain insane mindset to work with them. But most have a great pension if you can stick it out.

Michelle and Shy - hope you both are on the mend. This is a tough time to get sick - before the frost hits - it hangs on forever. Rest up and get your fluids. Chicken soup for both of you. Don't worry about the exercise for now until you are able to breathe. Sending and virtual chicken soup!

Carla, glad to hear that you got to a spin class. I think we all fall off the wagon but are here to help each other back on. I have been off my game for the last 3 weeks and I'm feeling it. Back to the gym on Monday for sure (tho getting up in the dark AND THE COLD chill of fall mornings is getting harder ). This week there were 2 days in a row where I got minimal vegetables and no fruit. I had 2 tiny snack size Snickers candy bars from the community jar at work which started my downfall. Cleaned that all up yesterday. So I understand where you are coming from. As for the elk stew, I have had that happen too. Our grocery store has started cooking sample foods with recipe cards. For a local grocery store they use some off the wall, fairly expensive ingredients like a lemon wine finishing sauce 3 separate times I tasted things in the store - they were wonderful - bought the ingredients and it was Seems like such a waste of money. I wondered how they suckered us in. Your story made me feel like I was not the only one tho I'm sorry you wasted food too.

Ceejay - I think they are afraid to put a freeze on credit cards. I heard that they think some people who are out of work are using them to supplement their lack of income which is goofy because if they are doing that, they surely don't have money to pay the bills. I think we live in a society where a good part of the population says I'll just walk away or claim bankruptcy - no big deal. And not to demean them any but there are a few who are also so worried about keeping a roof on their heads and food in their bellies. I think the economy will take another dive in January as I hear alot of folks (myself included) who are greatly reducing holiday spending this year. I didn't get Christmas cards out in time last year but several people at the office said they plain aren't going to send them this year. At almost 1 dollar per card including postage, it's getting kind of pricey. And if people aren't shopping it hurts the economy, the retail stores, the manufacturers who make the goods and the companies like mine that make the bags and boxes the goods go into as well as the packaging like coffee cups and sandwich wraps at the fast food joints . When you think about it, it's really a ripple in a pond with far reaching consequences.

I'd better go before I get philosophical.

Carla -just in case I get a dumb moment Happy early birthday for Monday.

to Rose, Ruth, Patty.

Have some fun with Tony at Walmart Annie - try on winter hats - always good for a laugh
Old 10-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #80  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Another damp day out there, not much will get done outside unfortunately, but the DS2 has assured me that he will get around to the lawns and the weeds in it while I am away. Ummm yes well okay maybe. He has a new lady friend, it may not happen. Oh yes and on the subject of DS2 - he gets work offered to him. He has never yet had to create or submit a resume. This new one he is thinking about is a construction company and he will have to undergo some crane training (for which he will have to pay) but the wages are better, the hours are stable and the company appears to have several years of projects in front of them working on government projects - roads mostly. It's his decision and all I can do is to point out things he may not have thought about. I would prefer him to do a trades course and learn a trade but although he talks about it, he's obviously not ready for that yet.

Mel - enjoy your weekend off. I'm still trying to work out why a doctor would veto maintenance on a wheelchair. I thought medicos were supposed to be on your side? Glad the movies went off all right for you and no viking virago to upset the evening. Hope Jen and Richie are doing okay now.
Hope the runs have eased for you, they might kick start the weight loss again.

Rose - good to have you back and posting again. It will seem strange for a while not having your wee girl around. She was your friend for a very long time. Yes you are right, it is time to go back to the basics, love thy neighbour and share the blessings. And it will probably be better to be living in the country or semi rural areas than in in the cities as long as there is a way to earn a basic living. But enough of the doom and gloom. We have it, we have to learn to live with it and get through it. Maybe we will all be a lot wiser at the end of it.

Happy - the saying that there is no such thing as a free lunch is still true. For your lunch you have to sit through boredom to get the few and far between tips which all basically come down to save, don't spend on trivia, pay off your debt, live frugally. Apart from the fact that you should spend on the man's books, discs, extraneous paraphenalia. Been there, done that too. Little of it makes sense to me.
For all of the doom and gloom, there are some bright shiny patches, although they are sometimes hard to see. We need to keep as much optimism alive as possible and reinvent ways of enjoying ourselves. Count your blessings as they come.

So for me, I need to finish packing and tidying up around the yard. I'll be onto that shortly although I can't make a noise before 7am, so the packing will come first. Then a bit of a clean up in the house, make the bed and finish the ironing. After that, whatever I can fit in before I pick up the DB2 at 11.00am. The next time I post, I will be in Perth, unless someone comes up with something I have to comment on. cya
Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #81  
Happy September

NAE~ WHEN ALL THIS BEGAN WITH THE CHAIR REPAIR I WAS THINKING OF PATIENTS NEEDING OTHER SERVICES. A LOT OF MEDICARE AND MEDICAID DOCTORS ARE GOING TO BE HARD PRESSED TO FOLLOW THE BOOK. VERY SAD. I AM GLAD YOU AND TOBY HAVE EACH OTHER HOW NICE OF THE KIDS TO SEND THE BOUQUET.

HAPPY~ LOVE THE AVATAR!!! I CRACKED UP WHEN THE PAGE LOADED. NOW I MUST GO AND FIND SOMETHING HALLOWEENIE! I WAS GOING TO ASK YESTERDAY AND FORGOT...HOW IS MR FERAL CAT? OUR STORES HERE NEVER HAVE THE SAMPLES ANYMORE...WONDER WHERE THEY WENT TO?? HOW IS THE HIP COMING ALONG?

SHAD~ HAVE A SAFE AN PLEASANT TRIP! AS FOR DS2 AT LEAST THE GOVT ALWAYS SEEMS TO HAVE WORK TO DO. HOPE WHICHEVER DECISION HE MAKES WORKS OUT WELL. WONDER HOW LONG THE LAWN WILL GET NOW WITH THE NEW LADY FRIEND?

IT IS THE MEDICAID INSURANCE DOCTOR THAT IS SAYING NO TO THE REPAIRS DUE TO THE FACT THEY ONLY WANT ME TO HAVE ONE CHAIR AND THUS ONLY ONE TO REPAIR. THAT IS THE STANDARD RULE. MANY YEARS AGO ONE OF THEIR DOCTORS SAID I COULD HAVE TWO AND THEY WOULD FIX WHATEVER CHAIRS THEY ORIGINALLY PAID FOR. NOW ALL THISE DRS HAVE RETIRED AND PASSED AWAY IN THE LAST ALMOST 20 YEARS AND THAT IS MY PROBLEM. STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM ANYONE AT THIS POINT.
GREAT WEATHER YESTERDAY AND I WENT OUT BACK. I FOUND AN OLD BIRTHDAY PLANT THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME JUST BLOOMING AWAY.... A RUST COLORED MUM...AND LOOKING JUST DELIGHTFUL. IT WASN'T LOOKING WELL OVER THE SUMMER SO I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE THAT ALMOST OVERNIGHT IT'S LOOKING SO FULL
JEN AND RICHIE ARE STAYING AT DAD'S. HE IS IN FLORIDA SEEING ANOTHER DR. THERE HAVE BEEN NO CALLS FOR HIS RESUMES AS YET. HE PUT SEVERAL MORE IN THIS PAST WEEK. HIS BOSS IS STILL HOPEFUL THAT MONEY WILL TRICKLE DOWN TO HIS COMPANY.
I AM BUSY STRAIGHTENING THE APT AND TAKING MY TIME DOING IT TOO. NOTHING NEW TO REPORT.
HAPPY SUNDAY/MONDAY
Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #82  
Choose your hard

Hi kids,

Mel I like your avatar too but I like your caption much better It's a shame that they don't understand with the chairs. It's like saying you can only use your legs for 8 hours a day. At first I didn't understand why you needed that many chairs myself but when you explained the battery is only good for a part of the day and without the chairs you are literally stuck in one place, it made alot of sense. Are they in need of so many repairs because they are older (like us with kinky parts)? It is a shame how we have to fight so hard to get basic healthcare. insurance companies. I blame them. Just look at the expansive campuses of any insurance company's headquarters and you can see the money that comes into them is NOT being paid out in insurance claims to you. I hope Ritchie gets some work soon too.

Shad - I know here that construction pay can be good and better than most jobs BUT it can also be very seasonal and iffy. I think many are drawn to it because they can naturally or with just a bit of training, do the job. With a trademan he would have to go through an apprenticeship and most people don't like that. I think too that age will also at some point start to count against him even tho he is quite young. But as you say, they have to decide for themselves. I have often said if I had teenagers today, I'm not sure how I would counsel them to make a living in this new world here. Of course, no one "guided" me in high school. I sort of stumbled into my career. Can't do that nowadays.

DH is going out to do some repairs to the main entrance to our subdivision. They cut down some mangy trees and in grinding the stumps, cut the lines for the sprinklers and power. We have very little money as a subdivision and our annual dues letters have not been sent out yet so we are quite poor at the moment. Lucky for us DH is quite skilled with electrical things and will do the work for just the cost of materials. One lady does landscaping and donated her services to redesign the front entrance. It looks very pretty. Everything in there had become crowded and overgrown and now it's laid out open and trimmed nicely. What a difference!

As for Mr. Feral, he is still coming around. As the mornings get cooler, we are more prone to finding him sleeping in his cat bed on the porch. We have another homeless cat whom we call Curly because he is missing his tail and has just a stub of a curl at the end. Curly is a feline vacumn cleaner who eats everything in sight. Our cat Boo tolerates Curly but is afraid of Mr. Feral. We find now that when we feed Mr. Feral in the morning that Curly comes running out of the bushes for his breakfast. Mr. Feral is not fond of sharing his food, porch or humans with this "kid" so we have to keep an eye out for potential cat fights. But all in all, we are doing well.

I have used some Watkins warming creme on my hip and that seems to be helping. Tomorrow I go for physical therapy. Let's see how they will torture me

Lots to do today - cleaning, laundry, shopping and I wanted to decorate the house a bit for Halloween. Better get on with it.

Have a good Sunday ladies.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #83  
Happy September

CARLA ALL THE BEST BIRTHDAY WISHES ARE BEING SENT YOUR WAY. HOPE THE DAY IS A SPECIAL ONE FOR YOU!!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #84  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morena
Made it to Perth. Not feeling well. Seem to have picked up a bug or two. Headaches, muscle ache, back ache, legs ache. And I feel cold all the time. We will have to see what gives in the coming days. At least Dampier tomorrow will be warmer.

Can't stop. See you all. Carla happy birthday. Will try to get in tonight to give better greetings.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Carla
Happy Birthday.

Mel
Hope things work out with the wheel chairs.

Happy
Hope the physical therapist isn't to rough. My cousin's wife had a rotator cuff repair and is going through physical therapy. She said he was rough Friday.
I told my aunt today that I'd been through a recession but not a depression.
It's really scarey right now. I'm not spending much on Christmas this year myself.

Nae
Good to see you again. I'm not ready for the s word.

There's not much going on. I did have a couple of nsv's this week end. My uncle asked me how much weight had I lost? I also bought a size 20w dress jacket. I thought it felt to big so I asked my aunt's opinion. Yes it swallowed me. A 16w fit perfectly. The skirt that I bought and wore to my nephew's wedding this spring was also to big.

I need to finish getting ready for tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #86  
Happy September

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO OUR NORTHERN CHICKLETTES!
HOPE THE DAY IS WONDERFUL AND FULL OF DELIGHTS!

SHAD~ HOPE YOU WILL BE FEELING BETTER SOON. SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE TRAVELING BUGS. SAFE TRIP TO DAMPIER!

HAPPY~ HOW NICE OF DH TO BE DOING THIS FOR EVERYONE. GOOD THING HE IS A HANDY REPAIRMAN! A REAL ASSET TO THE COMMUNITY. GOOD NEWS OF MR FERAL. I WAS CURIOUS. HE IS STILL THE KING. JUNIOR BETTER WATCH HIS STEP. THE REPAIRS TO MY CHIARS ARE NORMAL. THEY GO IN ABOUT EVERY 4-5 YEARS AND I TAKE GOOD CARE OF THEM. BUT FOR OTHERS...THERE IS BIG MONEY IN WHEELCHAIR REPAIRS AND RIPPING OFF THE GOVT.

CEEJAY~ WAY TO GO ON THE NSV'S!!!! CONGRATULATIONS. FEELS GOOD WHEN PEOPLE NOTICE!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRIS!!!

GOOD MORNING CHICKS. HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY! HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT DAY WITH ALL THE CELEBRATING. DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY THOUGH. I HAVE SOME CLEANING TO DO AND NOTES FOR THE OFFICE TO MAKE FOR TOMORROW. BETTER GET ON WITH IT. NOTHING ELSE GOING ON. BEEN VERY QUIET.
SO HAPPY MONDAY ALL
Old 10-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #87  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies --

Happy Birthday Carla!

I went to the doc on Friday. I've got bronchitis. He put me on antibiotics and told me to use my inhaler 4x a day. Friday night and Saturday morning, I was struggling to breathe because my chest was so tight, so Saturday morning, DH drove me to the walk in clinic, where I got a breathing treatment and the doc added Prednisone to my list of meds for this nasty bronchitis. After spending an absolutely gorgeous weather weekend INSIDE SLEEPING , I'm feeling about 30-40% better today. I'm at work and wishing I were home sleeping, but I'll last as long as I can.

I'll read all your weekend events and post more later. I've got to get back to work.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #88  
Smackin' into a Wall

I hear and share everyone’s pain on the market meltdown. I’ve lost 25% per cent of my retirement savings, but I have to keep reminding myself that that is just based on the current market value and that a market that goes down will (hopefully) also go back up at some point. Luckily I am still almost 20 years away from retirement (baring lottery wins), so I hopefully have a bit of time. I’ve been through this once before in the early 90s during the dot.com fury and it did recover eventually.

It just sickens me that we are brought to this through the greed of a few. The people who will be most hurt are the ones who trusted that there were laws and regulations in place to prevent this very thing. Makes me hope that somebody’s head is going to roll, but if I had any money left I wouldn’t place a large bet on it. On the up side I’ve spent the last 4 years working in industry (mostly banking), documenting processes that support government regulation, so I probably will have work for a few more years. The Canadian banking industry is fully capitalized and there is little chance of me losing my job, I hope. I don’t know what we would do at that point. Luckily, we have very little debt, and a very little bit of a savings cushion… scary thought, though. Ok, I can stop ranting now.

Happy Birthday ~ Carla!!!

Mel~ And happy Columbus Day to you in return. Hope your day stays nice and quiet. One of the best things of fall is the glorious mums.

Ceejay~ Congrats on the NSV. That’s terrific!

Shad~ Hope you feel better! Sounds a bit flu-like. Nothing worse that trying to travel while not feeling well. Darn planes are just big tubes of germs.

Happy~ Good luck with the phys. therapy. I am glad to hear that the lovely Mr Feral is still claiming his kingdom.

Nae~ So sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet pet.

Annie~ Keep plugging away at that job search. I send good employment vibes your way!

to all the other chicks!

Ok, I have to wander off. We are off to my Mom’s place for Thanksgiving this afternoon. It looks as if it will be a beautiful drive with the trees in full colour change. Maybe I’ll have to take a few pictures.

Last edited by Madcat; 10-13-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #89  
Smackin' into a Wall

Hey Michelle you snuck in while I was typing! If you slept than you probably needed to, but I hope you feel better. Have to tried steam? That might help.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #90  
Happy September

Chicken with Bulgur Pilaf

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt and pepper
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups medium-grain bulgur
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch spinach, thick stems removed and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

Add the broth, bulgur, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the skillet and bring to a boil.

Nestle the chicken in the bulgur, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the bulgur is tender and the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 17 minutes.

Transfer the chicken to plates. Add the spinach and basil to the bulgur, stir until slightly wilted, and serve.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 259; FAT 8g (sat 2g); CHOLESTEROL 98mg; CARBOHYDRATE 6g; SODIUM 855mg; PROTEIN 40g; FIBER 2g; SUGAR 1g

Katherine Greenwald
Real Simple, SEPTEMBER 2008
Closed Thread