Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #39

Good morning to you all! Boy we are a boring bunch! Everyone had short posts yesterday. Jack is feeling better and didn't call the doctor because the pain went away. He doesn't have it all the time, but when he does it really makes walking hard on him.

Maggie: Jack was on the USS Ranger his first round and then on the USS Kennedy before he retired. His was attached to a squadron VF-54 on the Ranger but was ship's company on the Kennedy. The three years he was on the Kennedy he was home 93 days total. Everytime the ship left the dock, he had to be on it. He worked in AIMD, which is the aviation maintenance department. Jack was an AQ, which meant he worked on aviation firing controls (radar.) That was a life long ago. His retirement date is November 18, our anniversary actually and it will be 19 years this November since he retired. It is a communal way of life that is for sure, especially if like me, you go straight from your parents or in my case grandparents into the Navy life. For 17 years it was the only like I knew so being out of it took awhile to adjust to.

Jean: Hows the drips and drops coming now? I am sure Bob the Plumber is giving it his all.

Susan: I belong to a book club and saw a cute new novel revolving around quilting called A Single Thread . Looks like it would be an interesting book to read. I bought Thomas a Paula Deen Kids First Cookbook and I have a couple for Jackson. I am going to see if there are any books Thomas wants for Christmas this year and get them. I always buy him some books for Christmas. He is about the age now where he can read the "Captain Underpants" series, which I hear are hysterical. I bought him a couple of them 2-3 years ago and they came with a little Captain Underpants stuffed doll. He reads some series that he loves called My Weird School Daze about this school where weird stuff is always happening with crazy teachers and things. Guess I will have to check with Kelly and see if they have any new ones.

My birthday is Sunday so I bought myself a present of a bottle of "Anais Anais," which is one of my favorite fragrances. I found an online fragrance store that has good prices about $10 less than here in town so I treated myself. I also wear the new Sarah Jessica Parker fragrance "Lovely" and like that a lot. I don't do strong, but floral fruity stuff. I like Gloria Vanderbilt too. I like to wear fragrance and if I am leaving the house I usually have it on unless I forget. I was in the commissary a few months back and there was this one woman swimming in some horrible stuff that stunk up the whole place. I was looking for some spice and there was a lady and her dd right by me about 13 or so and she turns to her daughter and says,"Now this lady smells good. This ladie's perfume is perfect." It gave me a chuckle and I told the girl I guess smelling good was better than smelling bad. I told them what I was wearing, which was "Sand and Sable," another favorite of mine and then got locked into a conversation with this lady about her asthma! lol Thought I was never going to get away. I used to love this cologne that Victoria's Secret put out, but they don't make it anymore and Bath and Body quit making "Cotton Blossom" which I used to wear and always got for my birthday from Jay and Alicia. Unfortunately, she buys me what she likes now! lol Now you know all about my perfume preferences because I know you were dying to know.

I am now 2 hats down, 6 to go! I cast on the next one and when I have this one done, have one family finished.

Well gang, I hear the washer is done so need to put the clothes in the dryer and get me some crackers. I have a queasy stomach for some reason this morning.

Have a good hump day!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #2  
Web Nana

A quick post!
Faye I think you are the only one I have ever met that liked Anais Anais. It is the only one I wear now. I used to use Chantilly but haven't used that in years. I also like one that smelled like Lilly of the Valley but it became too strong as the day wore on.
We need to go to the Commissary next week but it is going to be a busy week Tues. my eye appointment and Wednesday Jack sees the heart doc. One day, I don't know when yet I go to the Apple store for my One on One class and so we may go to Bedford on Tuesday after the eye appointment on maybe Thursday. My life seems to be one appointment after another. LOL

Jean Sounds like school hasn't changed a bit since last year. How are you making out with the new assignment at the school busses?

Suz Welcome back from your farming and marketing break. It was a rainy summer everywhere. Hope next year is better for you and you can really have a bumper crop.

Still on a losing streak... as of this morning I was down another # and that makes a total of 24#. I can't believe how much better I feel. Still watching the carbs and calories and for some reason it isn't feeling so rough this time. I hope I can keep it up.

Well there goes the dryer so off to get some work done around here.

Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #3  

Good morning, ladies. Windy and overcast today with a Nor'easter due in tonight and tomorrow. Just what I wanted! But we sure do need the rain after the dry summer we had.

I'm going to my friend's for dinner tonight and then I'll show her how to finish off the toe of a pair of socks. She has 4 socks done to the toe but never finished them because she couldn't figure out the last set of directions so she bought more needles and kept on knitting! I really should get started on another pair of socks myself but I have so much quilting knitting gets put on the back burner.

Gloria, congrats on your losing streak. It's rewarding to feel better and better as we lose.

Faye, I knew our birthdays were close (I'm October 9) but I forgot exactly when yours was. Happy birthday early (in case "Old Timers" disease makes me forget). I still like Charlie and Beautiful (Ester Laudre) for fragrances. There used to be one called Red that I loved but its not available anymore. I'll look for "Single Thread". If you haven't read "The Persian Pickle Club" I think you might enjoy it.

Well, I guess I should get back to work. Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been another beautiful day in my neighborhood! My day got started on a WONDERFUL note . . . . the cat hater has his live trap out and he had a skunk in it this morning! There aren't many "regular" stray cats around right now so I'm not sure what he wanted to trap, but I'm sure not a skunk. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy! I'm usually not like this but they are the most "I'm better than you" type of people who happen to hate animals. We had 4 of our worst students gone from the reading class today and that made such a difference. We actually got everything done for a change. That hasn't happened for weeks!

"Gma" -- Thanks for starting the new thread today. You are coming right along with your hats! At this rate you will have them all done before Halloween! Bob finished his plumbing project on Saturday. CRS has set in -- did I tell you he had to replace the hot water heater also? When he went downstairs to turn the water on there was a river running to the drain big time. We are leaving the ceiling open for a while to make sure that it is completely dry. Bob doesn't do sheetrock so will have to hire that done.

Gloria -- My first bus duty is next week. I won't have to do it again until January. We only have to do it for 15 minutes after school to make sure the little kids all get on a bus. Next Friday is homecoming and we get out early. The busses run a regular schedule which is after the parade so I don't have to go back and do it that day. Congrats on your weight loss effort! You are doing great!

Susan -- I know you will enjoy your evening with your friend. I had to laugh at her socks without toes! That sounds like me! I have quite a few unfinished projects hidden away in the closets.

It's Bob's night to cook so guess I will check the mail and wait for him to get home. Have a relaxing evening and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 09-24-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #5  

Good morning to all. Hope your day has started out well.

Gloria: Congrats on your #'s down. I know that will help out with you health issues as well as make you feel darn better.

Susan: Man, if she has bought 4 pr of dpn's she has run into money. She should have just looked for a tutorial on the web. There are a lot out there for free. I have to go and look for bright green yarn this weekend. Thomas is going to be some character from the Futurama cartoon and I have to make a brain slug for him to wear on his head! lol We shall see how it comes out. I haven't ever made stuffed toys, animals and the like and that is what this is basically. Your birthday is the day before Jack's.

Jean: I know you have to be glad your pipes are no longer leaking even with a whole in your ceiling for the time being.

Not much going on here. Have to get some chores done this am. Have a good Thursday everyone.
Faye
Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies! Rain and wind here for the next 2 days. Water is up about 2 feet already so it will be really high when high tide hits about 2 pm. Don't think it will be enough to flood my though.

I went to my friend's last night and helped her with the toes so now she'll have 2 pair of socks done. She is one of those people who swear they can't follow directions from a paper but have to have someone actually show them.

Faye, money is not short with my friend. She and her husband are both retired military (she was a colonel) and they both have fulltime jobs. So 4 pair of double points were nothing to her. Me - I'd have to sharpen sticks. Lots of good people born as Libras (you, me and Jack and my best friend).

Jean, hope your plumbing troubles are over for years. The bus duty doesn't sound too bad - I hope it doesn't rain!

I know I always say I have too much fabric, but I'm going to have to make a trip to Hancock's or Joann's. I need some Christmas fabric and I don't have any on hand.

Have a good day!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Default Tuesday And Sunny

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is in the mid 80's here and it seems we are getting the August weather that we didn't have. I have a real good sense of smell and you ladies all smell great. I only wear Opium by Yves Saint Laurent. It is the only one I wear and have worn it for years. I always get complements no matter where I am on how great I smell and my response is "I never miss a chance to smell good." Some of my friends wanted to smell like it and it didn't work for them so I got their products. A fragrance doesn't react to everyones personal chemistry the same and I am so glad I found this. Actually it was a woman at Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills that turned me on to it. Before my shopper in the Dallas store retired she would always send me a package the size of two shoe boxes full of big sized trial sizes that would last me the entire year. soap, cologune and pefume. Now my main squeeze keeps me in stock for he won't buy me any other fragrance. True story. Just a couple or three spritzs around my neck of the cologune last all day.

DONNA I know the recipients of those hats will have smiles big as can be. Will didn't work up on deck so he didn't get the bad feeling in his hips & knees from that. His aches and pains come from his rodeo days.

SUSAN Some people actually can't follow written instructions so that is where the old addage comes from to get a 5 year old to help you out. It is nice for your friend that you are able to help her out. I am an October baby also but I am a "stop" sign.

GLORIAYou get the blue ribbon for losing weight. They always say if you stick with something it becomes easier.

JEAN I read on Fox news that there is a school in DC that will actually be paying students that do good. Is that really the answer? It is good that your leak was located for they can really do some damage if not found.

GAIL Now just what have you been up to girlfirend? Hope all is going well with you and yours.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers! I got up to thunder, lightning, and a few raindrops this morning. The sun came out around noon and it was a beautiful afternoon. My weekend has begun! I will be glad to have MIL's shopping trip out of the way tomorrow; I just hope she finds something she likes. I hope to do some more pitching this weekend. Beth is coming for a weekend in October and I would like to send another box of her stuff home with her. I just found all of the videos of her dance recitals and dance squad performances. On another note, I've never seen two girls fight but I sure did this afternoon. The bell had rung and kids were passing to class when these two met in the hallway. One said something and the other and the 2nd one threw her books down and the fight was on. It took 4 teachers (3 men and 1 woman) to get them apart. They were pulling hair and scratching with long fake fingernails. I wasn't about to get in the middle of it so tried to keep the crowd moving. Assault charges will be/have been filed and they will have out-of-school suspension next week.

"Gma" -- I hope your chores are done so you can enjoy a long weekend! I know you are good about doing your work first and then play second.

Susan -- There is a canopy over the "formal" entrance to the school so that is where I will be if it is raining. I just dug out my kindergarten whistle so I am ready for bus duty on Monday! Now I hope I don't forget to do it! What are you going to make with the Christmas fabric? I see the beginning of Christmas in the stores at the mall. It's too early but I should be thinking along the gift line and make my list.

Maggie -- I have not found a perfume that will stay with me all day. I like Pleasures and can smell it on my church clothes when I hang them in the closet but it doesn't last on me very long. I don't think bribery is the answer although our open campus privilege depends on improving the ITED score from the year before. However, they lose it if they get a deficiency or break the school conduct rules. Most of our kids don't qualify for open campus anyway so don't even try. No wonder we are on the SINA list!

I need to pick up the clutter and head to bed. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #9  

Good morning all. I noticed it is nice and cool this morning when I let the dog out about 4 am. We have been having pretty warm weather lately though our ac doesn't seem to run at night which means it is cooling off.

Maggie: I think the "pay" thing is ok, but only in this way. That it is set up in a fund for college, period and if the kid doesn't go to college the school system gets it back. I don't ever think they should hand over money to a kid, even parents shouldn't do that I don't think. I know my dd does, but then Thomas would make straight A's whether he gets money or not. He'd be hard pressed to "take a bunk" as they say as everything comes very easy to him.

Susan: I too am interested in what you will be making with your Christmas fabric. I haven't knitted in a couple days and need to get back to the next hat as I have to get that Halloween thing done first.

Jean: Hope bus duty goes aok and not too stressful. I have always said girls fight dirtier than boys and never get between girls that fight! lol My grandma used to take a broom to my sister and I when we would get into a fight.

Time to get up and get things going. Have a great weekend. Kelly's family is taking me out for my birthday on Sunday so I am looking forward to seeing Thomas.

Faye
Old 09-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers! I'm passing the time until it is time to pick up MIL for our shopping excursion. I hope they have big dressing rooms because I know she will need help if she wants to try any clothes on. It's supposed to be 86 today! I just can't believe the great weather we've been having the past couple of weeks.

"Gma" -- The gal who just finished doing bus duty had 2 fights between middle school kids this week. Fortunately, the police officer happened to be outside and handled both. I'll let the kids fight it out because there is no way I'm going to get in the middle of it. I think the boys fight to impress the girls and the girls are fighting over boys. DUMB!

I'm going to start a load of laundry before I leave. Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I hope all is well with all of you. The wind blows here more than it did where we used to be and it brings me sneezes. Two every morning. The Schwan man came just a bit ago and he said they have been out of bacon for quite awhile. Theres is the best. My Cowboy Beans were a tad salty because of bacon we picked up at the butchers locally. I never do add salt to that recipe either. In fact I rarely use salt in my cooking for the ingredients have enough in them. If a person wants more they can always add it but it is nearly impossible to get it out. There are ways to lesson the salt in soup though. My old lap top that Will inherited when I got this new one finally bit the dust. He mentioned it to a friend from church and at the last business meeting one of them brought it up and it was unanimous that they buy him a new one which was done and I set it up for him last evening. Got it hooked onto the satelite and Incredimal ~ downloaed and a good virus protection program that is free and made it user friendly. Life is Good. Come the first of next month I get to place an order for some glass and my chemicals. I didn't bring it all with me because it is so stinkin' heavy. Plus I don't like moving a bunch of opened containers of those things I use. I have a butterfly nightlight cut out now but need some coolant for my grinder, which I use to smooth the edges, before I do another step with it. Will needs to get some leather for his projects also. WOW the cost of leather has gone up this last year. He makes the neatest half size sadles and has not had a problem selling the ones he has made. It is nice to have a hobby that you enjoy doing plus get a profit from.

JEAN I do hope your shopping excursion went well. They do make some of those fitting rooms so small don't they. And other places you can have a crowd inside with you. Kids today fight too much ~ guess they don't have a better way of communicating.

DONNA Please do take a picture of that hat thingie you are makin for Thomas and share. That sounds like a hoot ~ what a kid. Have a happy birthday celebration.

GLORIA, GAIL & SUSAN Hope your day is well with you.

Type at ya'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #12  

Good afternoon, ladies! The rain is moving out. It was pretty wild last night with wind and rain.

The Christmas fabric is for a Christmas quilt that I am giving to my doctor's office. They have quilts on the wall there and gently hinted they would like one one mine. Who could resist? If I add any more to my project list for the rest of the year, I'm going to have to quit sleeping to get it all done. As my friend says, we work better under pressure.

Faye, glad you will be having some "Thomas Time" for your birthday. Enjoy your dinner out.

Jean, I'm with you - let them fight, I'm not breaking it up.

Maggie, I'd love to see some of your glass creations. I love glass, and I've used some stained glass patterns for quilts.

Time to get back to the sewing room!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #13  

I'm home again after a grocery run -- forgot a couple of things so will go to another store tomorrow if I can't talk Bob into going. He is out on the farm waiting for his new (old) tractor to be delivered. He sold one last week so he claims he is ahead of the game. His friend opened up a soybean field this afternoon so I imagine I won't see much of Bob for the next couple of weeks. He does love the farming operation.

Maggie -- MIL did find some slacks and a couple of tops that she thought would work. She was still wearing white and her AZ wardrobe isn't very warm for an Iowa winter. It's nice that Will has a new computer and you were able to set it up for him. For whatever reason my Microsoft Word will not work -- says there is a library read error which I've never heard of. Want to make a road trip to Iowa?

Susan -- The Christmas quilt sounds like a nice idea for your doctor's office. I do think I get more things done when the time limit/pressure is on. Our doctor's retirement notice was in the local paper this week -- October 30 and he is done. The new doctor will be here in January and not full time until the end of the summer. He's still in training evidently. We did have 5 doctors and will be down to 3 for the time being. I really dread starting over with a new doctor; I suppose we could switch to one of the remaining 3 although we look for another one to retire in a year or so. These guys are younger than we are! They haven't delivered babies for a few years either. We have a new clinic in town -- a South American doctor, Spanish translators, and payment on a sliding scale so that has decreased the numbers in our clinic.

I have laundry going and need to sort through some magazines to take to MIL. Have a nice evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! I can't believe I am the first one here today. I'm waiting for my hair to dry so I can make a WM and grocery store run. I went to the grocery store yesterday and forgot a couple of things so will hit the other store today. I've got laundry going and the counter cleaned off! That is my goal this week . . . a cleaned off counter!

I bought Ian a pair of jeans and a shirt yesterday at Penneys for his birthday. When I went to cut the price part off the shirt tag, the IDIOT who attached the tag put it through the knit shirt itself rather than the seam like they are supposed to. There are two tiny little holes -- GRRRRR. Rather than drive the 80 miles to see if I can exchange it I will try and mend it. They are close to the seam so it won't be noticeable. I'm mad at myself that I didn't look more closely although I usually do check clothing to be sure there are no holes or tears.

Guess I will brush through my hair and head out. Have a nice day!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #15  

Good morning all! Well, I am officially a year older today! Ahh well, happens to the best of us I guess. We are going out to dinner tonight with Kelly, Tom and Thomas for my birthday so I look forward to that. Other than that, no big plans.

Jean: I know you have to really be peeved about the little guy's shirt. I hate how ignorant people are sometimes. If they would only stop long enough to think about what they would do it if were there piece of clothing, I imagine they would do their job correctly.

Susan: I taught myself how to do magic loop and I LOVE it. The brain slug was supposed to be done on dpn's but I struggle with them somewhat as they make my hands hurt so this worked perfectly. Thanks for sending me the instructions all those months ago.

I am sitting here watching "The Holiday" with Fortune until Jack gets up. Cute movie. It is about the 3rd time I have seen it. Nice chick flick as they say.

Nothing more exciting here so I will sign off until tomorrow. Morning chores always seem to need being done birthday or no birthday!

Have a great one!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 09-28-2008 at 11:56 AM.