Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #31  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy Wednesday ladies --

I got the shot in my back yesterday. I'm still a bit sore today...but I know from experience that the pain/soreness will go away in a day or so and I'll be good as new. I asked the doc about the gym. He told me to wait 2 or 3 days before I exercise, and for the first week nothing too intense (no kickboxing, no step classes for a week). So my next day at the gym will probably be tomorrow and I'll do the strength training class followed by the jazz dance class, which is lots of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing my physical therapist today.

Ceejay - I'm so glad your uncle is okay. Low blood sugar is very scary. I've had deviated septum surgery and it's not that bad going through the surgery. And it did help me a lot. There's about a week or so after the surgery when you're in pain, and you can't do any vigorous exercise for a few weeks. Hydrogen peroxide is good to clean out the ears. There's also some products on the market that claim to flush out ear wax, though I've never tried those. A Neti pot is supposed to be really good at clearing out the sinuses. Have you tried the Breathe Right strips for opening your nasal passages. I use them when I'm all congested. I hope you are able to relax some (or at least lower your stress) so you can get your BP back to normal.

Shad - It's so frustrating when people don't believe you know what you are talking about. Especially since you were hired to be an expert. Aaaargh. Hang in there.

Happy - on the 10 pound weight loss!! YGG! Good for you! I'm so happy for you and proud of you!! How wonderful to have all the butterfly eggs and all the hummingbirds! We only have a few more weeks of summer birds, but the chickadees and cardinals stay with us all year. If you come across any other interesting stuff from your Diabetes program, please let me know. I'd be very interested. I will tell DH that he has to treat me before and after he leaves. Of course, now, he's not sure if he'll be going this weekend, due to the hurricanes and he's boss is scared of any kind of weather. Definitely keep eyes wide open when shaving! Thank you SO much for the baked apples recipe. I wish we could get some of your rain...it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow...and our lawns sure need it.

Ruth - I hope the medicine makes Hershey feel better soon. You take care handling those pills. I agree with Annie...okay, you didn't make it to the 180s...just get sassy about your new goal(s)!

Annie - I like Jeff's statement. When I was in my first marriage, I felt like I NEEDED a man to complete me and to make me happy. Then after my divorce and living on my own for awhile, I realized that I am responsible for my own happiness. So when I met my DH, I felt like I didn't NEED him or any man to make me complete. But I enjoyed his company and being in a complete partnership/relationship. I think it's a very healthy statement from a mature guy, and your friend Leanne is right.

Mel - My b'day is September 9. Enjoy your restful day. And when it comes to the BBQ, don't take it all on yourself....delegate, delegate, delegate!

Well, I've got to get some work done.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Love and hugs,

Last edited by diyana; 09-03-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #32  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

MEL and Michelle....great insight. I feel much better now. I love you guys.

love and hugs.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #33  
Annie - Indiana

I went to my old WW website and this month's theme is the POWER of 1. Thought I would share as it sounds great.

Power of 1:
1# per week
1 extra glass of water
1 additional workout
1 extra day of tracking
1 less cookie/snack
1 more serving of veggies
is all the power of 1.

Love and Hugs
Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #34  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hi Annie -- Glad you are feeling better about Jeff's comment. And I LOVE the Power of 1. Thanks for sharing it! BTW, I just sent you a PM.

Last edited by diyana; 09-03-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Annie
I'd sometimes like the idea of having a male friend to do things with but I'm not sure if I'd want them hanging around all the time. Thanks for sharing.

Happy
Congratulations on losing 10 pounds this month. Can't blame you for not going to the gym this morning. Hope the dh is feeling better.

Told my boss about my needing surgery on my sinuses. The co workers will not know until I'm ready to have it. They will make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I should be in bed by 9.30, not going to make it tonight.

Last edited by ceejay52; 09-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #36  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Happy
Don't envy us so much lol. We do all the things that those that work outside of the home don't have time to do. Also, we are expected to have a house so clean you can eat off the floor, laundry that sparkles and shines like tv commercials and children that never do anything wrong lol. I didn't work as hard when I worked 10 hours a day and still kept my house clean as I do now because no one expected me to do anything else but work outside the home and clean lol. I am so excited for you about the butterfly's, please take pics for us. Your weight loss is terrific, congrats.

Ruth
I will keep you in my prayers.

Melody
You take care of yourself. We don't want you to get sick or be in pain.

Annie
I think he was saying he can take care of himself and he wants someone in his life. Some think this is the best way to be. We camp until it is to cold at night to get out of the tent and walk to the potty at night lol. Sometimes we do go camping in the colder weather and sleep in the camper. In that case we camp until there is no water at the camp grounds because the pipes freeze so the camp grounds turn off the water. We are suppose to have the rain by the end of the week too. We could sure use it since it has been so hot the last couple of weeks off and on ( over 90 here today. My poor grass is all brown in places and I can't mow it and keep it looking pretty because some places are growing out of control and some is very brown.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #37  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Howdy chicks,

Late night for me, waiting on the last load of sparking laundry to get dry so I can hang it/fold it or roll it in a ball and slide it under the couch

It's official - those are Black Swallowtail butterfly eggs on the parsley. Today one hatched into a caterpillar. It's sooooo tiny. About this big ____ I'm glad I looked up a site on the Internet about raising them - not that I plan on doing that but at least now I know what I'm looking for. I made DH come out and take pictures but the winds were blowing pretty strong which made the parsley move alot which made the pictures blurry and Shad knows as well as any photographer that blurry pics get deleted. He promised me he'd try and take more tomorrow. I just hope the critters don't get rained away.

Thanks Shy. I skipped the kids so that once I cleaned (and hogtied DH down) it stayed clean I like cool weather camping too - less bugs except for ticks in the spring. Had a friend who absolutely loved waking up in the morning to snow on the ground. Now that's TOO cold. Brrrr. Love falling asleep listening to the wind blow through the trees. Camping is wonderful.

Ceejay - if you made your post at 9:28 you had 2 minutes to run across the house, slide through the bedroom door and hop into bed by 9:30 Ouch - sorry to hear about the sinus surgery. Hope it helps.

Annie - I do so love your power of 1. Just a little bit extra that will help alot. I copied it and put it on my tackboard at work. Thanks ever so much for sharing.

Michelle - ask and you shall get it. Sent some rain up your way. Looks like Gustav is going to be wetting down a good part of the midwest and Hanna will take care of the east coast. Given that hurricane season got a late start and seeing 3 of them out there, maybe DH's boss is right - this might not be the optimum time to fly down there. So maybe you'll get to spend your birthday with him after all I certainly will share any tidbits I get from my program tho I'm kinda wondering about one lady's skills as a nutritionist after last nights session

Annie - I agree completely with what Michelle and the other ladies have said about want and need. I think it puts him in a good place - not desperate to fill some void with the first one who comes along, but instead looking for someone to enjoy a sunset or a cold beer or just one of those oh wow moments - come look at this kind of thing that makes it great to have someone around to share it with - even if they aren't an official hunny bunny

What's this about a BBQ Mel? Hope you will stay far, far away from the smoke. And the potato salad I hope Hanna doesn't blow you down the road either.

Egads Ruth - those gloves sure put things in perspective. Hope Hershey is doing ok. Love the sunflower. Will forever remind me of Shad's drunken birds!

Ok, dryer is finished, a few quick folds and I'm in bed too. Good night ladies, what's for lunch Shad?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #38  
Rennie

Happy
I love to camp by the river. Oh my gosh I sleep so good listening to the river as I drift off to sleep.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #39  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Lunch today was a Grandpa Bel Beef and mushroom pie. Which I might add has given me indigestion. Do not ask for the reason for the name. I had enough trouble trying to distinguish hot and cold with the wee girl on the cash register. Hot - panas, cold - dingin. Now they might not sound alike but when they are being rattled off like the words were being spat out of a machine gun, it is difficult for this old brain to master especially when they come complete with many other words.

Ceejay - sorry to hear about the nose problems. Most of us seem to have problems one way or another with noses or sinus'. I'll be perfectly honest and state that I probably would not have the surgery done because the success rate - at least down here - does not seem particularly high.

Rennie - you sure do love your camping. Me - I'm the comfort type and if there is a cabin with a bed beside the river I am fine. Otherwise no way.

Happy - good news on the swallowtail butterfly. Now to watch them caterpillars get stuck into your parsley. Caterpillar Parsley, Caterpillar Parsley.
Good going on the laundry. I sent mine away last night. It should come back all folded and hung, pressed etc tonight.

Ruth - sassiness is optional. You can only do, what you can. Here's hoping Hershey starts feeling better very soon.

Annie - to my way of thinking, your Jeff is stating that while he doesn't need to have a woman in his life, he likes to have one around. It may be a deeper thought that all contacts will be casual and no permanency (he may not be ready for a committment) but I may be reading more into it than actually exists. Tell you the truth, I would not mind having someone like that around because I would have someone to go to the movies with or got out for a drink and a bite but not a permanent addition to the household. In the 50's and 60's these people were called 'walkers' believe it or not. Whatever his reasons, I suspect he is happy to have you in his life but does not expect you to run around after him or his family. Them's my thoughts anyway.
Love the power of 1

Mel - hope the finances don't get too tough for you for the next half year. I can sympathise with the decision to get rid of the bills though. Its a great idea. Just think how much easier it will be when you get back to being debt free.

Michelle - hope the back comes right very soon. You will feel a lot better when you can get one the treadmill again and give it heaps.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #40  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

MICHELLE...HOPE THE SHOT WORKS LIKE IT SUPPOSED TO AND DON'T GO NUTS TILL IT DOES

ANNIE....STAY CALM. ROMANCE IS SUCH A FUNNY THING. DON'T LET IT GET STRESSFUL. ONE DAY AT A TIME. LOVE THE POWER OF ONE!! SIMPLE AND VERY TRUE!!!

CEEJAY....HOPE YOU GOT SOME GOOD SLEEP.

RENNIE...DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE ELECTRIC BLANKET SOON

HAPPY... HOW CUTE IS THAT WITH THE HATCHING! AND HE'S SO TINY TOO. CONGRATULATIONS MOM AND DAD ON YOUR NEWBORN I CAN JUST IMAGINE HOW THE DH FEELS. I HAVE MY SEATBELTS READY FOR HANNA IF SHE ARRIVES. THE WEATHER CAN DO WHATEVER IT WANTS ...BUT ONLY AFTER FRIDAY JUST THINK OF THE PHONE BILLS WHEN YOU REITRE THAT ALONE WILL HAVE THE DH TELLING YOU "NEXT YEAR HONEY, I PROMISE". OR YOU CAN START A BUTTERFLY FARM!!

SHAD....GRANDPA BEL...A RELATION?? I AM NOT QUITE SURE ABOUT THAT ENTIRE PARAGRAPH BUT I DID GET THE INDIGESTION PART SO I WON'T BUY THE PIE ANY TIME SOON. THANKS FOR THE WARNING

I KEEP SAYING THAT I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BBQ BUT I LIE. IT'S JUST AUTOMATIC BECAUSE I SAY IT EVERY TIME I SEE SOMEONE IN THE HOUSE. TOO MUCH WORK. TOO MUCH POLITICS. TOO MANY COMPLAINERS. AND AS IF THAT IS NOT ENOUGH...THE FOOD IS NOT GOOD FOR MY POOR STOMACH AND THE REST OF IT CLOGS UP MY PLUMBING...BUT I WILL DIE BEFORE I TELL ANYONE IN THIS BUILDING THE TRUTH!!! WISH ME LUCK. TOO DIZZY FOR FOOD SHOPPING SO JEN AND RICH ARE GOING. I HAVE A LIST TO DELEGATE...YES MUCHELLE I HEAR YOU.....AND THEN I WILL RETURE FOR THE DAY. VERTIGO IS MY MIDDLE NAME THIS WEEK...NOT FULL FORCE BUT STILL HANGING AROUND. BREAKFAST FIRST!!

HAPPY THURSDAY/FRIDAY
Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #41  
Choose your hard

Morning chicks,

Quickie for me as DH started talking to me when I sat down so I don't have much time here.

Perhaps I should have explained about the parsley. Butterflies will lay their eggs on a food source for the caterpillars. The caterpillars will spend about 2 weeks munching up the parsley and will then move over (probably to the tree next to the parsley pot) to spin their crysalis and start the next phase of the cycle. There are 2 kinds of plants that attract butterflies - food for them as adult butterflies - ie. those things with nectar and those plants which are food for the next generation of butterflies. This we learned from reading on how to create a butterfly garden of our own.

Did Grandpa make a mean pie? Do you want that flaming hot to burn your mouth or cold and greasy from the refrigerator? I suppose I am a very sheltered individual - would not make it as a world traveller

Mel - take care of that vertigo. Nice of you to put up a brave front for the BBQ. Next pot luck make it a Mel Friendly menu.

Gotta run now... to the rest of the chicks.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #42  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy Thursday ladies -

1 more day (after today) until the weekend. It looks like DH may not be going to Mexico until next week. It's difficult for his boss to get a flight due to the hurricanes in the gulf. So if he's home next week, I'll get to spend my b'day with him! Yay!

Ceejay - That's good that you gave your boss a heads up about your surgery. If you want to PM me, I can tell you specifically what the surgery/recovery was like for me,

Rennie - I guess I'd better not stay at home too much, and I'm not domestic enough to have a consistently sparkling home, much less sparkling laundry. Except for the work clothes, the clean laundry can sit in baskets for days until I plop in front of the TV and go on a folding frenzy. That's great that you go camping so often. Sleeping by a river is SO nice....so peaceful. DH and I really enjoy camping, including cool weather camping. We love being out in nature...whether it's camping or hiking or whatever. We don't camp as often as we'd like because as our dogs probably would not behave themselves in a tent, and boarding 3 dogs gets expensive. I need to find a good pet sitter to come to our home.

Happy - I hope the cute butterfly caterpillars stay safe and relatively dry. I'd love to see photos of the caterpillars and of course the butterflies! Yes, Gustav is here and making everything wet (and hopefully green again). Sorry to hear that the "nutritionists" skills may be questionable. I'm signing up for a one-hour diabetes prevention seminar next week offered through our Wellness Center.

Annie - I shared your Power of 1 with my coach/trainer at the gym. He is going to share it with the other staff, who will share it with gym members.

Shad - So Grandpa's pie gives indigestion? I'll pass on that and stick with Grandma's home cooking instead. I think you're doing quite well at understanding and speaking Indonesian. When do you get to go back home to your own home cooking in your new kitchen?

Mel - You relax and take it easy at least until the vertigo goes away.

I've got to get to work. Have a great day/evening ladies!

Love and hugs,
Old 09-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #43  
Rennie

Shad
I am sure there will come a time that tent camping will be to difficult for me to do. Until then, I will enjoy nature. If I am going to be stuck inside a camper I might as well sleep in my own bed lol. A couple of years ago we broke down and bought air mattresses. lol until then we slept on the ground. Just got to be to much for my hips.

Melody
Who on earth needs an eclectic blanket lol. We have sleeping bags that zip all the way out. We use one to cover the mattress and one to sleep under. They are queen size and are for Arctic camping. You roast yourself out of the tent sometimes lol. We are looking to get a huge tent when tax time comes. Would be nice to have something much bigger so the animals aren't walking all over me at night.

Di
They all laugh because we have the cleanest camp site in town. I have a children's rake that I take with us so I can rake the site before I set everything up. It is funny how they all laugh and tease and yet, our camp site is where everyone hangs out. Glad you are going to get to spend your birthday with the hubby. This weekend I have got to get working on the yard behind our fenced in back yard. I have grass back there up to my chest lol. I don't mess with it much because I leave it for the animals. Once a year I clear out about 50 feet of it and then start chopping the branches and such that have fallen off the trees and getting it stacked so I have fire wood for the next season. It is going to be a tough weekend. Should have seen us when we had the two labs lol. Two labs and two adults on a queen size mattress. Oh ya it was pretty fun. At least now with just the two cats and the **** tzu we have a little room to sleep lol. Sometimes we leave them at home if one of the kids is going to be around enough to take care of them. It can get very expensive to board animals.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-04-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #44  
Annie - Indiana

You Ladies are the Best....All good stuff from you.

Love and Hugs
Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #45  
Choose your hard

Today for lunch I was deciding what to have for a drink. I was going to have milk but all they had was whole milk. Then I was going to have a small Coke but there was something wrong with both fountain soda machines and all it was spitting out was fizzy water - no syrup. I don't like the power or energy drinks and I can't tolerate anything with artificial sweetner in it. So I filled a cup with sweet tea. I had it on my tray and was paying for lunch when God said - hey fatto - you don't need any sweet tea and knocked it right off my tray onto the floor. Just like that! Neither I nor the cashier could figure out how that darned cup fell off the tray. Of course my first reaction was to say a swear word followed by rapid foot tapping to avoid the spill that would rival Fred Astaire's dancing - I was so embarrassed.

My lunch was some grilled tilapia and I got a huge green salad with lots of vegetables because I've been needing to get back to more natural stuff again. The salad had big chunks of crunchy vegetables in it. I was eating away and my cube mate kept talking to me periodically. The crunching of the baby carrots was so loud in my head that I could not hear D talk. Everytime she said something I'd have to ask her to wait, chew fast and swallow just so I could hear her.

I have become my worst nightmare. The decrepid old lady. Please do me a favor and periodically ask me if I've bought any wedgies (shoes) lately or if my pants have elastic instead of a zipper or if I've taking a liking to knee highs but slide them down to my ankles because they make my veins pop out. And if my next hairstyle includes a tight perm (tight so it lasts longer) just come on down and shoot me and if you can't just beat some sense into me
Closed Thread