Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #286  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hey! September was less than stellar for most of us so how about Optimistic October? Whadayathinkaboudit?
Or has it already been decided by the regulars? If so, just hiss and boo and I'll crawl back under my rock.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #287  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Smack me about the head. I just lost a big post all about the financials etc.
Optimistic October sounds good to me.

I'm going to take my frustration with myself out on the walls and see if I have fixed the paint peeling problem. I will be back.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #288  

Decided to come back while I ate breakfast and waited for the washer to do it's thing.
We have a saying out here in the rest of the world - America sneezes and the world catches cold. Well America is sneezing and the rest of us are dashing for cover and trying to sort out our messes.
The news from Wall Street this morning was a bit better - people with the available cash are picking up bargains and getting richer. However the worst is not over. This care package needs to go through. If the banks fail, then business fails - usually small business and shopkeepers first - then jobs go and then the number of unemployed start to restrict the pensions of those elderly, incapacitated, single mothers etc. If the pollies care more about their country than getting re-elected then they will pass this bill with strict criteria effectively limiting bank lending.
It affects the rest of the world through the fact that much of our mortgage money comes from the States and through the global economy many big business companies are listed on various stock exchanges throughout the world. I was never a fan of the global village. I am even less enchanted now. Australia is fairly lucky - due to the mining boom and the ever present demands of China, we will only slide into recession rather than depression. But even that will wreck the lives of many of our already hurting pensioners.
If the care package proposed by Pres. Bush does not go through and depression results in the USA, then you can forget about being the dominant world power and start being nice to China. China will become the next power and life under them will be even worse than now. They have no human rights, no animal rights and forget the environment, who cares as long as they have face and power. Forget anything about the truth as well. Well we just about have forgotten about truth and justice, but the vision is even worse from where I stand.
My superannuation is affected to the tune of 8.40% down in the last year and probably the same in this year if I am lucky. It's invested in cash, bonds, stocks, overseas stocks and property. Not much of that is doing much earning right now. I don't know that I will ever be able to retire and probably my future travel is going to be severly curtailed. Like Ruth, I might need to trip to the financial planner. I'm working on it and trying not to get upset about that which is totally out of my control.

Happy - sorry to hear about the tooth. Hope it gets better soon. I wonder why we feel worse coming out of the dentist than going in - and that's before we are presented with the bill. Maybe DH was playing the blues because many of us are feeling somewhat blue just now.

Mel - stirring the pot again with the red room? No way, no how, no red! Sorry to hear about the wheelchair, the doctors absence and the underperforming insurance company - expect more of this!

Ruth - good to hear from you. Disney seems to be doing a grand job in comfort you. Where are you going in October may I ask? Not to bat some people on your chat thread around the ears I hope. They got into some heated discussions while you were practising moderation in NC!

Michelle - red rooms are supposed to incite passion and activity. Perfect choice for the bedroom???!!! Mel's remarks about painting the place red is a reference to a tv show we watched together at her place. Every episode they painted some room red! There is enough rage in this world without us waking up and seeing red immediately! Nothing wrong with a blue or green wall - it has a calming, relaxing effect. So do most of the pastels for that matter which is probably why Happy's mom loves the peach. Happy, calming, relaxing, just the thing to put us in the mood - right!

Ceejay must be off doing the housework or something or maybe STILL working long hours. Relax woman, paint a wall or something.

Okay - this time off to paint the walls, you will probably hear me from wherever you are if the paint peels again. I shall be fairly loud and rude.

I'll start the new thread later today. I might even let you know whether the wall is still there or not - or if my foot is sore.

Last edited by Shad; 09-30-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #289  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Carla

I see your little egg a lit.

Trying to figure out what your avatar is. Don't make fun of me. Is it sheep looking hungrily at an apple???????

What ever it is, I like it.

Last edited by happy2bme; 09-30-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #290  

Looks like sheep from here. I thought it was a tomato. Crikey I had to go back 3 pages to see the darn thing. Think she might post if she is changing her avatar - right?

actually when I make it bigger, it looks like cauliflower sheep and the tomato has got glasses on.

Last edited by Shad; 09-30-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #291  

Yup, it's cauliflower sheep, and I think they're threatening that poor bespectacled tomato. When good veggies go bad...

Interesting that Ruth suggesting Optimism as the October theme - I was going to suggest 'Worldly Chicks Opt for Optimism in October'. Especially since September has been rather grim for most of us - illness and injury, loss, financial disaster, weight gain, overwork, doldrums...

And this chick should be in bed - working again tomorrow. Aargh.

Shad, I have pale aquamarine/robin's-egg-blue walls in my bedroom, which I still find absolutely beautiful after almost 5 years. But it's impossible to get sheets to match, and most pale blues clash dreadfully with them. The other walls are dark chocolate dust collectors. I think next time I'll opt for a very pale buttery cream.

My retirement plans are also taking a bad hit. Canada is always very affected by what happens in the US. I don't even want to know how much my retirement investments have lost, much too discouraging. For the time being my head is firmly stuck in the sand and will stay there until after the NYC trip. I do feel rather resentful that this nonsense came about to a great extent because someone thought it was a good idea to give mortgages on huge houses to people with no down payment, a lousy credit history, no ability to weather an increase in rates, and barely enough income (or common sense) to manage their monthly payments. Whatever happened to living within one's means????

Happy, I'll try to dig out a couple of sheets of sciatica stretches I have somewhere. They're not too hard to do, and a couple of them feel really, really good. My fingers are crossed that the hip pain lets up enough for you to get back in the pool!

Shy, take care of those lungs! And get some rest.

Ceejay, too bad the changes at work weren't what you had hoped for. Do try to get some rest instead of working night and day!

Mel, is your bank account covered by deposit insurance? I sure hope so! Bad enough having all the drama with the water heater and the chair repair and the stupid insurance people. I may have to go down there to straighten things out!!! Wait a minute - I am going down there! Can't wait! I'll arrive with yummy prepared dinner from Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in hand. (I love Trader Joe's - we don't have it here, but I always make a pilgrimage when in the States.)

Yikes, it's late and I'm beat. See y'all in October!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #292  

Happy, go to bed!!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #293  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla49 View Post
Happy, go to bed!!!!!

OK MOM!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:58 AM   #294  

Shouldn't the pair of you both be in bed???
Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 AM   #295  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

WHILE WATCHING RV ABOUT THE FINANCIAL PROBLEM THERE WAS A MAN WHO WAS ASKED ABOUT HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS THE WORLD...HE SAID THAT THE WORLD BENEFITTED ALL ALONG WHEN THE MONEY WAS FREELY FLOWING AND NEVER SAID A WORD ABOUT HAVING SOME REINS PUT ON AND NOW THEY ARE ALL BIOTCHING BECAUSE OF IT. THE WORLD'S FINANCIAL RULERS HAVE ALL BECOME GREEDY B A S T A R D S AND NOW THE LITTLE PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING. MY BANK ALREADY WENT UNDER, GOT BOUGHT OUT BY CITIGROUP AND JUST HOPING MY CASH...SMALL AMOUNT THAT IT IS...WILL ALWAYS BE THERE SO I CAN WRITE OUT MY CHECKS!!
AND IT WON'T BE CHINA RULING THE WORLD...IT WILL BE OH CANADA WE'LL ALL BE SINGING. SHE OWNS MORE OF OUR BANKS NOW THAN WE DO!! I ALWAYS LIKED THE MAPLE LEAF!

NOT MUCH NEW HERE. THE OFFICE GALS WILL BE BACK TODAY. HOPEFULLY THEY CAN ALL TAKE CARE OF ANY PROBLEMS WHILE I SPEND TIME WITH JEN, GET MY SHOPPING LIST TOGETHER FOR TOMORROW AND VACUUM!
HAPPY OCTOBER!!! LET US DO THE DANCE OF THE PUMPKINS

HAPPY...NOW YOU'RE GONNA BE TIRED TODAY!

CARLA...I RECOGNIZED THE VEGGIES RIGHT AWAY AND CRACKED UP!! I WAS LIKE WTF!!! LOVE IT. DON'T GET ANY SAND IN YOUR EYES! HAVE FUN AT WORK! IT KEEPS YOU BUSY!!

SHAD~ I THINK I WILL PAINT THE INSIDE OF MY EYELIDS A NICE PASTEL. THEN I CAN HAVE PEACE OF MIND.

JEN IS HERE AND I AM OFF LIKE A FLASH

Last edited by MELODY525; 10-01-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #296  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy Wednesday ladies -

Last night after work, I went to the gym and did a beginning kickboxing class followed by an Abs class. I mentioned to the instructor (who doesn't know me as well as some of the others) that I have low back/hip issues, and she showed some modifications to the kicks. It was a great workout and I'm just a little bit sore today. The Abs workout was awesome too. After work today I have my Weight Loss/Management class at the company's Wellness Center, and if I get out in time, I'll head straight to the gym for Step class. Tomorrow night, I may not make it to the gym as the Brewer's playoff game starts at 5 pm. Which reminds me....please keep your fingers crossed and think good thoughts for the Brewers who are having their first playoff game in 26 years today. It's a very exciting time to be a Milwaukee Brewers fan.

Shad - You are absolutely correct that some sort of bailout plan needs to go through or it will create a ripple effect of far-reaching negative consequences. A trip to a financial planner is a good idea. And we can't control the economy, all we can control is our reaction to it. The previous homeowners' red bedroom did nothing to incite passion for me...it just made me p*ssed off. I did not want to fall asleep to rage just to wake up to rage again in the morning. Blue is much more calming and relaxing for me....which makes me happier and friskier! I know, I know....TMI. I hope your painting went well and that nothing peeled.

Carla - Your avatar is GREAT! Too funny! Definitely "Opting for Optimism in October" is the way to go.

Rennie - I hope you feel a little better every day. Rest a lot, drink lots of fluids. And don't sleep flat...prop your upper body up (from the waist if possible) so that fluid won't build up in your lungs. Can you tell I've had my share of bouts with pneumonia?

Mel - Enjoy your day with Jen!

Happy - I hope you're not too tired today, and I hope the hip feels better. Are you a Cubs fan or a White Sox fan? Either way, your team is in the playoffs.

A big to all!

Here's to a great day for everyone!

Love and hugs,

Last edited by diyana; 10-01-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #297  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

OK. I'll start the October thread. See y'all there.

Here's the new thread.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #298  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

This is Jen again and Mom has scratched her eye with a piece fo paper. Dr said the eye is OK but no computer until the pain goes away. She wishes everyone well and will be back soon. Take care
Closed Thread