Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #16  

Default The scariest thing happened with Jake

Jake is 6 1/2 months old. He sleeps in a crib beside my bed. When he turned around 5 1/2 months he started turning over and sleeping on his side or tummy, when I flip him over, right back he goes. I usually wake up once or twice a night and touch him to make sure he's breating, not too hot, you know, the "mommy" things.

On Saturday night when I woke up for one of my nightly reassurances, he didn't feel like he was breathing. I tapped him on the back a couple of times, but he didn't respond. When I put my hand under his stomach and lifted him THEN he took a breath. I rolled him over on his back and he turned over on his side, went back to sleep, breathing normally.

The same thing happened again last night. I felt of him and he didn't feel like he was breathing. I tapped him and got no response, I put my hand under his tummy like I did on Saturday and I got no response, I picked up his hand and uncurled his fingers--when I let go, his hand dropped right back down. (that takes longer to read than it actually took to do!!) I sat up on the side of the bed and picked him up and rolled him over. Then he started breathing OK.

I'm very very worried about this trend!!! I'm so afraid that I'm not going to wake up one night. He doesn't sleep on a cushy surface, but he had his face nose-down on his matress. I've been researching SIDS all morning (I'm sure my boss appreciates that) and it's some scary reading. He just had his 6-month vaccinations on August 20th, but nothing like this has ever happened before that, so I haven't discussed it with his pediatrician.

Have any of you moms ever been through anything like this? Am I becoming panicked over nothing? I don't feel like this is nothing........

Would my pediatrician be able to do anything?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #17  

Cheryl don't hesitate to call the doctor. No question is a silly one and being that he is a premature baby I certainly would check it out. I am concerned. Please don't wait til tomorrow. Call now!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #18  
Losing it!

I agree Cheryl, have him checked out ASAP. There is no such thing as a silly question when it is something as serious as this could be. Who knows, he may just be a heavy sleeper or it could be something serious, have him checked out right away. Please keep us updated!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #19  

I agree with Dee and Gayle, Cheryl. Get him checked out. Hopefully, he is a very heavy sleeper.

Dee-I am smaree123. Check out my sparkpage, and you will see the teams I am on. Also, I sent you a little surprise in the mail yesterday.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #20  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

I'm sorry everyone...I really didn't mean to be MIA. I guess I've been feeling sorry for myself and haven't been doing much of anything. My heel problem turned out to be plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of the "tendon" that runs from the heel to the toes. Treatment includes rest (no unnecessary walking), anti-inflammatory drugs, good shoes, and losing weight. It could take up to 6 months to see improvement! How am I supposed to lose weight without walking?

Cheryl~I agree with the others...call the doctor and have Jake scheduled for some sleep studies! It could be that he has sleep apnea or some other breathing problems. There are things that can be done, including a sleep monitor that will sound an alarm if he should stop breathing.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #21  

Suzy it doesn't hurt your feet if you lift weights or swim. You know that for your health you have to drop a few pounds so get to it girl. You can do it.

Shelley I will check out your page and I am looking forward to seeing what you sent me. I hope it isn't a cold or flu.

Gayle any caching lately? We haven't register some of ours but we have been out there looking. I found one on saturday by Dez's house. She looked for over an hour and I went to see if I could find it and I found it in less than 30 seconds.

Cheryl have you talked to the doc?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #22  

I called the Dr. yesterday and took Jake in this morning. After I explained what was happening, she asked me what steps I had to take to make him start breathing again. I told her what I told you guys and she said that she thinks since he started breathing on his own that he's just a really sound sleeper and that he's breathing so slowly and deeply that it's hard to tell that he is. She told me that the next time that happens I need to turn on the light to make sure he still has good color. They checked his O2 levels to make sure they were at a good level and they were.

She told me I'm not being paranoid at all, that it's good that I scheduled him. I'm glad I did, too, but I'm sure I'll still check up on him (often) at night until my mind is at ease.......You know, until he's 18 or so.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #23  

Shelley, did you register your gift before you sent it on??????
Old 08-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #24  
Losing it!

Thank goodness the doctor wasn't that concerned. I would watch him Cheryl, and like Suzy said, there are different devices he could wear to see what the true problem is. Could whoever cares for him during the daytime take a day or two and really watch him as he sleeps? You got a bunch of aunties here concerned about our little Jake.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #25  
Losing it!

Suzy, I hope you feel better soon! Sore feet are no fun at all! Have you ever tried using a gazelle from walmart? It is low impact and one gets the same benefit as from walking/running. Mine is working perfectly as a clothes hook... guess I better haul it out and start using it!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #26  
Losing it!

Prayers for Allison please! She suffers from seasonal allergies which flair her asthma up. As of today she is only blowing 86 on the peak flow meter when it should be close to 300! This is critical and I hope I see a change tonight. This flareup was very sudden and unexpected, I think with the stress of school beginning, schedule changes and allergies, it all hit at once. We are in the aggressive stage of treatment, Advair 3X daily and Predisone 2X daily, breathing treatments etc. Please say a little prayer for Allie in hopes she is feeling better soon. THANK YOU!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #27  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

Gayle ~ You know Allison is in my prayers! May God hold her in his healing hands and help her to breathe easier.

Right now my feet hurt so bad that I don't even want to consider doing anything more while standing than I absolutely have to. Swimming would be a good alternative to walking, but this morning it was only 46 degrees...not quite pool weather!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #28  
Losing it!

Can you swim with a parka Suzie??? LOL!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 AM   #29  

Cheryl-Uh Oh! I didn't know I had to. I messed up!!

Suzy-I had a severe case of PF on my right foot that prevented me from running for a long time. Now I have it on my left foot, but I wear a night splint and it really helps and enables me to run again. I wear a Strassburg sock. www.thesock.com
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #30  
Losing it!

No biggie Shelley! Cheryl or I could go and register the gift. :-)
Closed Thread