Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 AM   #61  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning, Worldlies.

Shad, yes, the lily is in honour of dear Lucy. The pic is not current as the one in the garden is not yet blooming. It's been in slightly open bud stage for ten days now. In mourning?

Miss MEL, do take care of YOU for a change.

We're off to the vet this morning. Disney will have a post-trauma check and Hershey and I want to get to the bottom of her fur loss. She's far from bald but it certainly is thinning. As Shad and Hollyhock could tell you. La Hersh is famous for her fur! She's also got two of those raw calluses on her "elbows" so will probably be in one of those Mother Superior collars for a while.

Despite all the rain (and we have another week of wet ahead of us). I harvested the first tomatoes and green beans from the veggie garden yesterday. It's certainly a late harvest. The good thing about the rain is that the lawns are nice and green - usually they are brown and crunchy in August.

A slight splash of sun is happening right now. I may get a chance to work outside before it's vet time.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #62  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

GOOD MORNING. LOTS OF RAIN AND A BIT COOLER HERE. STAYING INDOORS AND USING MY DVD'S. TRAVELING WITH MY AUSSIE DVD TOO THIS AFTERNOON.
TYPING WITH ARM GLUED TO MY SIDE. 2 DRS ARE ON VACATION. BOTH TEACH AND DO CLINICS. SO THEY WILL BE BACK. SCHOOL STARTS SOON.

HAPPY...HOPE THE EXERCISE SCHEDULE IS WORKING OUT. thinking of you!

RUTH..HOPE DISNEY IS OK AT VETS

SHAD...ACCENTS...... I'M SORRY BUT FOUND THAT COMICAL

ANNIE...ALMOST COULDN'T FIND YOU WITH MISSING FAIRY...WAS THAT YOUR EXPLOSION I HEARD LAST NIGHT? WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH THE TNT SEND IT HERE!

MICHELLE...ARE YOU STILL FLOATING ON AIR WITH ALL YOUR GOOD NEWS?

TO CEEJAY WORKING HER BUTT OFF

RENNIE...ENJOY THE SILENCE
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

If I could get some sleep I'd be fine. day 3/6 12 hour days. I'm looking forward to my two days off. Tonight I'm taking a Tylenol pm.

My weight this morning with clothes on is 190 which is what it was at the drs office last visit. This will be my starting point. This is my highest weight.

Ruth
Hope things go well at the vets office.

Mel
Take it easy. I love to watch the travel channel.

To the rest I'll be back later this afternoon.

Last edited by ceejay52; 08-06-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #64  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning chicks,

Good workout this morning. Elliptical still kicked my butt, spit in my face and laughed at me But I gave it the hairy eyeball back. I walked, swam, and did some arm strength stuff (while thinking of Mel). Can't seem to cool the inner core tho.

Had to separate the cats today. New cat Curly gobbled his food down and tried to infringe on Mr. Feral. Poor old Mr. Feral has no fangs and a califlower ear but his hisser still works fine. DH had to chase Curly off with a hose. Won't have no cat fights in the yard. Our Boo was no where to be found.

Like Mel, I too laughed about trying to work around the accents Shad. With the influx of Indians in the workplace, I am starting to understand what it's like when not everyone speaks like us. Hope your training went well. I know what you mean about the post counts, sometimes it hiccups tho I have been posting on some game threads which probably bumped my count up a bit.

Mel - you take care of those arms will you? I did the exercises for you today

The lily is quite pretty Ruth. Hope the pups will be fine. Perhaps Hersh has some allergies.

Back to welcome normal for you Shy.

Annie - I think you should use that hot pic of yourself as your avatar. If --- wait WHEN - I get to looking that good, I'll be strutting the stuff too

I did get accepted into a diabetes management program. Twice a week 1 hour sessions for 3 months. Meet with a nurse, nutritionist and exercise coach so I'm looking forward to it. I go for my initial evaluation tomorrow. Maybe I CAN finally turn things around again Thank you Michelle for mentioning nutritionist and setting this all into motion for me

Ok, much as I'd rather play here, I have to get to work.

Have a good day chicks...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #65  
Choose your hard

Ugh Ceejay - 6 straight 12 hour days that's REALLY hard on the old bod.

As for your weight - you can borrow my mantra - today is the worst I will ever be - each day I get smarter, stronger and slightly better than the yesterday I left behind. No pressure there
Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #66  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy Wednesday ladies --

Didn't get to the gym last night...DH and I went for a short hike instead. Plus, I walked yesterday at lunch. I've got a co-worker who is trying to improve her health, so we walk every day at lunch. I am feeling a bit sad that Brett Favre will no longer be with the Packers. He's a great quarterback and will be missed in Wisconsin. As of now, it's unclear if he will be traded to another team or stay retired. It's just sad that because of all that's been said and done (by both him and the Packers) over the last several months, he is feeling unwanted by the organization he gave 16 years of outstanding football memories. Enough of my Favre soapbox.

Mel - Please take care of yourself and don't overdo.

Rennie - Sounds like you have a busy and fun rest of the week ahead. You sure had company for a long time, and you're still cleaning!

Happy - Shad is exactly right....take things slowly. When I started, I could only do about 5 minutes on the treadmill before my back pain would flare up - so I mostly used recumbent bikes for 15 or 20 minutes. Then I got to the point where I could walk 15 minutes slowly. Now I go for 30 minutes and every now and then bump up the speed to a slow jog. It's all about progress.

Ruth - I, too, have lists of things I didn't get done this summer. Heck, some stuff on my list is from last winter. But they will all get done eventually (over the next few years). I hope everything goes okay at the vet (sending big hugs to Hershey and Disney). No fair that you're harvesting tomatoes up in Canada! Sheesh! My tomatoes are still green!

Shad - The weather today and the rest of the week is supposed to be gorgeous. Highs in the upper 70s/low 80s and very little humidity! Perfect walking, gardening and generally being outside weather! Good for you for getting to the gym so regularly and big kudos for learning the language while in Jakarta.

Ceejay - Sorry that you're not sleeping well and working so hard. I hope you get through the day okay and are able to rest, relax and sleep tonight.

Busy day ahead for me, so I'll sign off for now.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #67  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy - you posted at the same time as me. Good for you for giving it back to the elliptical, and for walking, swimming and getting a good workout. Sorry to hear about the kitty issues. Good for DH for looking out for Mr. Feral. I'm SOOOOOO happy to hear you are in a diabetes management program! That's awesome! Sounds like you'll get a lot of great info and support! Good for you!! I learned so much from my nutritionist and my exercise coach at the gym helped a lot too. Having a team of experts helps you manage this condition! Yay to you for getting your team together!! I LOVE your mantra - awesome!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #68  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning, Hump Day and Trash Day is here already!! Yikes life is going too fast.

Ceejay...try the natural melatonin to get some sleep. It worked for me and my nephew.

MEL...take care of those arms, cause you need to post on here the delicious recipes..

Happy...boy, that is a tough mantra but worth succeeding at, you go girl!

Michelle...Hiking and walking is great exercise, just moving is great, so the missing the gym is no biggie.

DS has an interview at 10:00 this morning with the Chief of Police, hopefully this will get him on at the police department. Wish him luck!!

DD took my picture on her cell phone this morning on the way to work (we carpool), it makes my nose look like pinnoccio, and I didn't even lie.

We had thunderboomers yesterday, the good news is the humidity is supposed to be less today. I hate to say it, but my garden needed it.

Work is nutty today, I guess I fit right in. LOL.

Hello to everyone.

Love and Hugs,
Old 08-06-2008, 12:35 PM   #69  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Holy Cow....guess what they had in the cafe' today?

Fried Green Tomatos and Black Eyed Peas...YUM YUM.

Hey Grandpa, What's for dinner?? (HeeHaw)
Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #70  
Happy September

I WAS BROWING THE MAYO CLINIC FOR A FRIEND HE IS PRE-DIABETIC ALSO. I FOUND THIS LINK FOR DIFFERENT HEALTHY RECIPES & THE MANY EATING PLANS INCLUDE DASH & DIABETES

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hea...ecipes/RE99999

Cod with Beans, Corn, and Pesto

INGREDIENTS:
6-ounce pieces cod fillet (about 1 inch thick), skin removed
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound green beans, cut in half crosswise (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 leek (white and light green parts only), sliced into half-moons
2 ears corn, kernels cut off the cob (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons store-bought pesto, plus more for serving

DIRECTIONS:
Season the cod with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the undersides are golden, 3 to 5 minutes.

Flip the cod and scatter the green beans and leek around it. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and cook until the vegetables are just tender and the fish is opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes.

Transfer the cod to plates. Stir the corn into the green beans, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the pesto and serve with the cod and additional pesto, if desired.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 255(29% from fat); FAT 8g (sat 1g); CHOLESTEROL 58mg; CARBOHYDRATE 15g; SODIUM 428mg; PROTEIN 30g; FIBER 4g; SUGAR 3g

Last edited by MELODY525; 08-06-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #71  
Happy September

CURRIED ZUCCHINI SOUP

Serves 4

Zucchini is a marvelous squash - mild and slightly sweet - and accepts flavorings readily. This curried soup can be made hotter by using a spicier curry powder blend.

Ingredients:
1 ½ T. extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 T. curry powder
Salt, to taste
2 lbs. zucchini (small to medium size), cut into 1" dice
6 c. vegetable stock
¼ c. long grain brown rice

Preparation:
In a heavy pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté for about 10 minutes. Add the curry powder and a pinch of salt and mix with the onions, continuing to cook the mixture for a couple of minutes. Add the zucchini, stock, and brown rice and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Coarsely mash or, if desired, cool soup, then pour it into a blender and process until smooth.

Top with fresh mint and serve hot.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #72  
Creating a Healthier Me

Annie - I'll bet you don't look like pinocchio. I'll bet your garden loved the thunderstorms. I know my veggies appreciated the thunderstorms we had. I hope your work day goes better.

Mel - Please take care and rest your arm, okay? Thanks for the link to the Mayo Clinic recipes.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #73  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

That was the training class that I didn't need to have.

It was awful. And there were only two in it. Aaah well things come and things pass. Life goes on as per normal.

It's three o'clock in the afternoon and I just managed my lunch. Wonder what time tea will be???

Nothing else is new. I'm tired and I think I will leave early and either go for a swim or go for a massage. Haven't worked out which yet.
Last night we went to dinner because one of the guys was having a birthday today. His lady friend is coming over for the weekend and so we had the celebration last night. Went to a restaurant just newly opened in the building complex called Portobello. It had dark and moody lighting. Made it difficult to read the menu. The prices all looked quite reasonable until you saw the portions. They were tiny. Some portion control. Aaah well the project paid for the meal so I should not complain.

Yesterday I went to the gym and later in the afternoon for a swim and also had a spa. Nice too. This morning I was too tired to get up and go so I might just fit in a swim to give myself some exercise for the day. Then again the smog is bad out there today so maybe not. I'll see how I feel in a couple of hours.

Speaking of which - I'm out of time and have to get back to class. I'll be back.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #74  
Choose your hard

Morning chicks,

No time to post right now- I have an early morning appt with the nurse for the Pre-Diabetes program and I should have been showered all ready instead of sitting here on the computer. But I need some coffee BAD this morning. So just browsing now, be back later.

Hope the evening is better than the day Shad.

I'm betting your don't look like Pinnochio either Annie
Old 08-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #75  
Happy September

A SMOGGY DAY IN A JAKARTA TOWN SHAD? SENDING GOOD THOUGHTS TO YOUR LUNGS!! HOPE YOU FOUND SOME ENERGY!;hug: HAD A LAUGH AT THE MEAL...MAYBE WE NEED TO LEARN THAT IN RESTAURANTS HERE!

HAPPY...HOPE THE APPT GOES WELL. WILL BE THINKING OF YOU TODAY.

MICHELLE...YOU ARE WELCOME! lhug:

ANNIE....MAYBE THE NOSE GREW WITH THE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

THE MAN FOR THE CHAIR IS COMING TODAY BETWEEN 9-5. WISH I HAD A BETTER TIME BUT NO DICE. SO I AM OFF TO FINISH CLEANING IT AND SPRUCING IT UP TO TAKE DOWNSTAIRS. THINK I WILL FOOD SHOP TOMORROW INSTEAD. I SEEM TO BE DRAGGING MY BUTT THIS MORNING!
HAPPY WEDNESDAY!

Last edited by MELODY525; 08-07-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Closed Thread