Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Sizzling along to the Solstice: Where do you want to be by then?

Summer's coming -- about 9.5 weeks left till the solstice. That's long enough to really get somewhere. Where do you want to be on June 20/21st? How are you going to get there?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #2  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Where do I want to be, and how do I plan to get there? Good questions!

In 10 weeks, I should be down 10 lbs. Ok, that is the where part answered. Easy enough. Now for the how...
I have evidently moved through the easiest pounds already--the ones where I didn't have to change a whole lot, just be mindful. It seems to be time to crack down a little bit more if I expect steady changes in weight. A lot of this plan will look familiar, but I'm going to add in a few more small things.

My Summer Solstice Plan:
  • Eat regularly and mindfully throughout the day.
  • Do not go hungry!
  • Fiber is my friend.
  • Vitamins are a must.
  • Movement is mandatory.
  • Light weights or other upper body 10 minutes a day.
  • 5k steps a day to start, building up 500 more each week (this is entirely dependent on my feet).
  • Keep positive talk going. Squelch the negative quickly.
  • Engage my family in my success.

I'm sure I'll be adding to this list as time goes by, but that does seem to be enough to work on for now. I already started the "Engage my family" part this morning by asking my sweetie to please go on walks with me in the evenings. He agreed, and I'm looking forward to it.
I'm going to hurry and add a Summer Solstice ticker and then get ready to get back to work. I love being able to sneak on every once in a while during the day. Back-to-back lunch and conference periods work for me!

Andria
Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #3  

Thumbs up Connecting the dots between here and my goal

My totally doable goal is in my ticker. Here's how I'm going to achieve it:
  • Next to no sugar or gluten
  • Lots of veggies and fruit
  • Work on seeing that my real needs are met
  • Food only at the table when I'm alone
  • Journal! I resist that one like the dickens but I must be accountable.
  • 10-14k steps a day
  • Circuits 3x a week
  • Some mind-body exercise every days
  • Some FUN every day
  • At least 3L water a day

Andrea, those are some good-looking goals! And isn't it motivating to see such a fresh ticker number at the end. I'm so excited

I'm thinking of each day as a dot -- and the final picture has me at my solstice goal.

K, Chicklies, who's up for the challenge?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #4  

I am off today! Ok, so I took the day off because I have a mammogram appointment this afternoon, but it is still a day off! I'm also doing something good for myself this afternoon, even though I'm not excited about it. Mammograms didn't used to bother me, but because there is a history of breast cancer in my family, they have become more and more angsty with me when I come in. A few years ago there were some tiny dots, smaller than grains of sand, showing, and they totally freaked out. I ended up having two biopsies, and thankfully, they found nothing to worry about. Still, it ended up costing me a small fortune I didn't have as well as a lot of stress I didn't need. I will go through it all again if necessary, but I know more about my own health needs now to be able to stand up for myself and demand a little more time be taken before going under a knife. I wish I didn't have to learn the hard way.
Anyway, I've been having a blissfully lazy morning, but it is time to get moving or I won't accomplish my goals for the day. There are at least 4,000 steps still calling my name, not to mention some weights that I am not allowing to gather any more dust.

Arabella, nice goals! I especially liked the "Work on seeing that my real needs are met." And you are absolutely right about the fresh ticker number. Breaking things up into smaller chunks works nicely for me usually, but I hadn't realized how soon I could be into a whole new weight range. Everything was feeling like a long-distance goal, and I was starting to lose daily focus. This feels hot, new, and totally doable.

I can hardly wait to see everyone else's new/revised plans!

Andria
Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #5  
a work in progress...

Oh, hello! Once again, a quicky post. I'm off for cut and color--much needed! Just wanted to report that I haven't been MIA due to falling off the ol' wagon...mais non! Quite the contrary...I've been eating very well, getting the bod out every day at lunch for a 30 minute walk in this glorious spring weather. Heaven! Fingers are crossed to get back in here tonight, with my goals firmly in hand. If not tonight, definitely tomorrow! Am loving the positive energy flowing from the Palace!

And......I'm outta here!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #6  

Hello all....

well, let me see....

I say

YES.... I can do this....

And can we do it, yes, we can ! 10 lbs in 9 weeks....
OKAY

Here we go...

eat less, move more....

YES!

This is perfect timing after I spent 2 hrs in a dressing room realizing, "Its not that you need a bra, underpants, etc"....

Hope everyone is doing well. I even got motivated to run the vacuum.
I should do that more often, its such instant gratifciation and it's steps too!

Yes, I like that idea.... Spring clean and get the steps in!

Such brillant royals we have here!

Has anyone seen the show " I Can Make You Thin" thru your tv ??? Its nearly finished here, I hope they rerun it!

Here's Friday's Thought:

Thought of the day:

"True friends are like stars;
you can only recognize them when it's dark around you."
Bob Marley

Question of the day:

"Have you ever been to a planetarium?"

Maybe I can get some more vacuuming in.....
Old 04-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #7  

Quickie report here too, on the grounds that a quickie is better than nuthin'

Nobody slept much here last night. We had DGS and he took forever to go to sleep and then woke about 4 and was chatting away to himself for about an hour and a half. So I was awake. DH woke up around 3 and had been pretty bouncy and noisy before then.

Hasn't been a great week for sleep anyway -- just seems to be harder to go to sleep early enough for the 5 a.m. wakeup.

Yesterday I caught myself having a bite of this and that Must nip that in the bud. Today, despite fatigue, I'm pretty determined to stay OP. I'm looking forward to having the journaling and eating only at the table be matter-of-course for me. It always takes the impulse/compulsive aspect away. And that feels like freedom and makes me realize how much of my time, mental space and energy was centered around food. Once I get going, suddenly it's like life just opens up.

As I say, I'm looking forward to that. In any case, I'm doing what I need to do to get to that state of grace.

That's me, me, me for now... Hope all have a splendid Friday!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #8  

Hey everyone

So, I didn't get that job. I'm disappointed, but I'm also a little relieved. There are going to be other jobs out there that are a better match for me, I know it. And yes, I'm going to keep telling myself that.

Today is being a busy day! I'm hopping all over the school, and the class I'm subbing is in a computer lab, which means I'm running back and forth to help students. My steps are looking good! We are also headed to Six Flags tonight for the grand opening of a new ride. It is going to be fun to see how many steps I end up with at the end of the day.
Oh, speaking of steps! Last night I was running just a bit shy, so I asked my sweetie if he wanted to go for a short walk with me. He agreed! We had a nice little stroll around the neighborhood, holding hands and talking. It was so nice to not feel like I was doing it on my own. Sometimes I forget to allow my family to be cheerleaders for me; it probably has something to do with my fear of letting them down. I need to get over that, huh.

Hey, I keep forgetting to ask... anyone have a good idea or plan to help remember to take vitamins? What I'm already doing sure isn't working well.

Arabella, wow, I hope you manage to catch a nap today! We have rules in our house about eating all meals at the table, even snacks, and it has changed our eating habits so much. We hardly go through any snack foods at all because there isn't a ton of mindless eating going on. Plus, it just doesn't stink to have that time together. I wish we had been doing this all along. New husband + new house = new rules!

Kaylets, liking the image of spring cleaning yourself to weight loss. I haven't seen the tv show, but I remember seeing an ad for it. Have you seen the series? It really did sound interesting.

Kat, sounds like you are in a seriously good place! Keep it going, girl! And you are right--there is a whole lot of positive energy flowing through the palace right now.

Ok, I have to run before the next bell rings. Have a great day!

Andria

Last edited by qsilver; 04-18-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #9  

Whoopsies! Almost missed the breadcrumbs. Lots of energy and excitement. Must get on that wagon - actually have been on it in many ways, just not organized about it.

Spent several days in P-ville celebrating birthday of now Princess Twelve. Will be going back again in a couple of days to hold the world together while DD has medical procedure and recoups a bit. Been swirling here getting stuff done so MY world holds together while I'm gone.

Also accepted offer of DS/DDIL to accompany them to a convention in Quebec City in July. Motivation, motivation. the thought of "clothes", energy level, etc. is daunting but I think it's time I step back out of my box. That first step is working out well so mayhap this one will too.

Re sleep - it is full moonish too, Arabella. We seem to have that trend towards less sleep then, non?

Apologies to all. Maybe tomorrow. Time to think "bed" and make it work.

thanks for new thread, Arabella.

Please forgive the meme. So much to catch up on, so much to decide. But life has seemed better - maybe it's just the be-a-utiful weather. Outside shaping up a bit.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #10  
a work in progress...

Cool All righty then....

The coffee's made, and so is my bed, the bathroom is clean, there is a load of wash going, I'm actually dressed and ready to take on the day. BUT FIRST...

Time to declare some new goals.

At first I thought, "Hmm, 10 lbs in 9 weeks? That's EASY!" But, no, it's not. Not at this age, anyway! Didn't it used to be so much easier to drop a quick ten, back in the day? Ah, youth!

I digress. New goals. FOCUS, kat!

<ahem>

I recently came to the conclusion that, in order to succeed, I have to make this very easy on myself. I have to do stuff that I can live with, so that means no lofty pronouncements of "I WILL LOSE 50 LBS BY SUMMER." It means embracing the baby steps and taking them slowly, and knowing that if I just keep doing the small stuff, it will all add up to big stuff and success!

I have been doing well lately. For the most part. For me, doing well usually means two to three days of awesome on target behavior and then a collapse on the fourth day because, "I've been good." Which then leads to another day of iffy eating, and then would just snowball into a week, two, etc... (I didn't get this fat for nuthin'!) LATELY, however, I still get those days, but I've been able to curb myself to having a meal or two where I'm not counting, refuse to feel guilty, and then get right back to business. Which has actually been working for me, somewhat. When I start to get that old down and out, why bother feeling, I do remind myself that I have lost 20 lbs! Something that I haven't done in a long, long time.

ANYWAY...Here are my goals:

1. Eat well. Back to WW Sunday mornings. I'm going to go with Core this time around. I never had much success with it before, but it seems to work well with my new approach to eating. I attended a great lecture the other day, on my lunch hour, given by a neurologist who also specializes in accupuncture and nutrition. "How to Eat Wisely in a Toxic World." Lots of good stuff there, but it basically boiled down to this: the higher quality of fuel you use in your engine, the more efficiently it runs, the longer it lasts and still looks good! So, I've been really trying to steer clear of anything with preservatives, chemicals, additives of any kind. Just whole foods, with lots of fruits and veggies. More fish than meat and no red at all. Organic when I can get it reasonably.

2. Daily Exercise I was looking at my gym schedule before, trying to figure out what classes to go to when...but, in the interest of simplification, I'm going to just declare that something must be done every day. Oh! And! As God is my witness, <striking my scarlett o'hara pose> I'm getting that pedometer that I've been meaning to get, TODAY! Shooting for those 10,000 steps daily will keep me moving! Plus I have a TON of yard work to get busy with, not to mention the veggie garden I've decided to build this year.

3. Water, water, water.
4. Vitamins. I can't help you with that one, Andria. I have them sitting right on my kitchen table and still forget to take them every day! Think I'm going to leave myself a note on the fridge to remind me...
5. Spiritual sustenance... meditation, gratitude, embracing joy in the little things, laughter, fun.
6. Daily posting here. Even a few lines. A visit to the Palace definitely keeps me grounded and always makes me smile!

That's it! I'm going to start a new challenge ticker tomorrow, after official weigh in. My weight hasn't changed in a few weeks, which I was getting a little concerned about, but realized that it's because it's my actual weight, not some fluctuation of water or how much food I did or did not have recently!

This is turning into a marathon post, but I did want to get a few more words in:

Arabella...thanks, as always, for starting the new thread! I hope that you're able to catch up on your rest this weekend! I found myself nodding vigorously at your words, ...makes me realize how much of my time, mental space and energy was centered around food. Once I get going, suddenly it's like life just opens up.

Andria...so sorry about the job, but that just means there is something better out there waiting for you! How sweet that T is stepping out there with you. Multi tasking: exercise=quality time! Score!!

Anagram...Sounds like you are keeping very busy what with princesses and swirling about! Good for you for venturing out of the box!

Kaylets... Oh, the dreaded dressing room reality check! <shudder>
I have been to the Hayden Planetarium at the Museum of Natural History in NYC. Awesome. Thank you for reminding me that I'd really love to go again! PS--love the quote!

wsw, ceara... I don't remember what you've been up to since the last thread, but I hope you're doing well and can't wait to see you both soon at our new digs!

Okay. See what happens when I don't post for a while? I just go on and on and on.....

Time to go seize the day. Let's make it a good one, shall we?

Last edited by katrinabgood; 04-19-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: tweaking
Old 04-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #11  

Smile Saturday in the Palace

AAAAANNNND... (drumroll, please!) I went for my first woods woggle of the year I am so grateful to be able to do that. DH (muscular, non-overweight DH) has been having knee trouble and is off running on doctor's orders. He has run a lot in the past, twelve marathons and lots of weeks running 25-50 miles. And, fast as he went, I guess it's caught up with him. Although he hopes to be able to get back to it before long.

So sweet to see so many of us in the Palace

I've got a big pot of veggie chili almost ready and 3 loaves of bread ready for the oven, a load of laundry in the washer. I think that's about as productive as I need to be today. What to do for fun? Wonder if I can talk DH into taking me out for dinner...

WI on Friday had me down .6 from last time. This week, however, the plan's in effect. I CAN and WILL reach my goal

I actually slept in until 7:30 this morning, after going to bed at 10. Needed to catch up I guess. We watched "Juno" last night and really liked it.

Kaylets, oh how I empathize with your dressing room woes. Plus I've never been in a dressing room yet that was flattering -- all that light + being close up and personal with my body

How many times have I had to face stupid reality as a result of clothes shopping? A lot. Well, you know, if I hadn't been able to fool myself I never would have been able to gain so much weight.

But... it's spring! Lots of good energy for achieving our goals!

Andria, sorry about the job but ... yup, something better's in the works. Your walk with DH sounds lovely. I think a gentle after-dinner stroll is good for a lot of things and definitely one where you're holding hands and talking.

I didn't realize DH and house were new. How new are they? Congrats, anyway!

Anagram, Quebec City is supposed to be gorgeous, very Old World. I've never been but still hope to go some time.

Yes, the full moon's coming up and some times it does seem to affect me days in advance. I must check and see when it is, exactly, so I can try to take it in.

Kat, so wise to do what you know will work for you! I think some times we need more time to adjust to losing weight than we get if it's coming off more quickly. I know I want the "insulation" on some level.

The Ultraprevention/Ultrametabolism guys talk a lot about artificial ingredients and why they make us fat (mostly, I think, because our bodies don't understand them). I'm happy with the Core program. And it's so empowering to have something treat-y and realize I have the points for it.

On the other hand, I think there's a lot of merit in having a "no-count" meal from time to time. I might start planning for one a week or something like that. I know I still have to stay away from gluten and sugar if at all possible because some tends to lead to more for me. But I can be very resourceful

I saw a recipe for "black bean brownies" that's supposed to be very good. I'm thinking of trying that out...

WSW, Ceara

Hope all lies have a fabulous weekend!

Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #12  
a work in progress...

Red face As if I didn't have enough to say before...

I just wanted to share that I signed up for "The Biggest Loser" Challenge. Go here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...=138087&page=7 if you're interested. Even though we can't sign up as a team, (Apparently they just place you where they can to keep the teams even) I thought it might be fun to add a competetive edge to this weight loss bizness!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #13  

Dang it all! I knew I should have checked back in last night. I missed the sign-up deadline.

I at least had a killer reason for not making it on yesterday--13,890 steps should say it all! Sometimes it is just insanely fun to blow out the top of your goal like it never even happened. I have to admit that I cannot maintain those kind of numbers every day, but I'm up and walking this morning and not in ugly amounts of pain.

Today is going to be a lot easier, per request of the entire family. I have some gardening to do, and the lovely clouds blocking the sun should make that nice and pleasant. The only other plan I have is to finish painting a cool old iron planter we picked up at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago. We got one coat of a really pretty hammered copper paint on it already, but there is a lot of detail on the planter; it definitely needs a second (or third) coat before it is finished.

Ugh. I have evidently spent too long typing this post. The youngest of the princesses is standing over my shoulder with a plaintive look on her face. I think that look translates easily out to, "Mother, might I have a bit of breakfast?"
Better get to it. Hope to be back later!

Andria
Old 04-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #14  
wsw

Default happy sunday

: i had a nice couple of days of getting together with friends. thursday, two of my friends came over and brought their adorable black lab puppy to visit. last night, another couple of friends took me out to dinner at an "in" new restaurant, which was excellent, and we had such a pleasant evening, and laughed a lot. it was easy to eat daintily and healthfully there, which was also a plus for me. i have been doing pretty well op, and finally knocked off another pesky pound too.

ok,now for my goals for this challenge:

where i want to be:
-some weight loss each month (i wish i could even begin to guess, but my losses are so inconsistent and erratic no matter how consistent i may be op. however, i would be thrilled with -6 lbs total by challenge end. well, anyway i am sending this hope out in to the universe, and will do my part to make this come about.)

how i plan to get there:
-consistently use my food journal
-continue with daily exercise plan
-continue with daily basic food plan of dainty, healthful eating
-use my meditation cd's regularly
-remember to just have some fun
-and to take a page from anagram's playbook, step out of my comfort zone much more regularly and try some new things

well, i will be back and respond more personally. i at least wanted to get my goals down "on paper" so i can be officially accountable to help me continue to move forward. thanks, arabella, for starting this challenge. greetings to all our lovely royals. take care.

Last edited by wsw; 04-20-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #15  

Thumbs up And the weekend winds down

I did manage to get DH to take me out to dinner last night, to the Indian buffet. Where I behaved myself admirably, took one plate, didn't pile it up (although "dainty" doesn't quite describe it). Had one beer, walked there and back.

DH and I did our usual long Sunday walk today and spent some time outside cleaning up the yard and putting up the clothesline that a tree took out in the fall. I'll be thrilled to be able to hang my clothes out again. I've been draping my sheets over the deck rail.

I cleaned off a counter that never quite gets completely cleaned off and was puttering around the kitchen when I got some ideas for a personal essay I've been thinking about writing and spent a few hours actually WRITING

I realized that the essay I'd been thinking about was actually two: one targeting the NY Times "Modern Love" column and another one... not sure what it's for but it wants to be written so I'm writing it.

Feels nice to have gotten some stuff done this weekend. Still a little short on pure FUN. I'm going to have to work on that. But feeling mostly positive about the weekend, anyway.

Andria, that's a lot of steps! I'm so glad your feet weren't killing you today. I did manage to get in and sign up for the challenge but then I was wondering how much I was going to be able to get into it knowing that there's no way in the world I've got any shot at winning. Maybe I'm too competitive... I saw the last winner took off over 40 pounds in 12 weeks, which is... not remotely possible for me, not even in my dreams. Maybe when I was in my 30s. Anyway, we'll see. It might be motivating.

WSW, sounds like you're having some fun! Put that on your list so you can cross it off!

I think I need to go out for a little post-dinner stroll and then tuck myself into bed with my book. Supposed to be a full moon coming up but it's a bit overcast.

Sweet dreams, sweet lies! Fresh start Monday coming up.

Closed Thread